IMG_7948 (resized).jpeg
kuiil-have-spoken.gif
200w.gif
gold24 (resized).jpg
counting_coins_02.gif
IMG_1659 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 20,994 posts in this topic. You are on page 35 of 420.
#1701 4 years ago
Quoted from Friengineer:

BAC - bank of America. I'll buy some VZ - Verizon soon and lock in that divy

Nice, I should have bought some BAC today. Maybe Delta soon.

#1702 4 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

The investment advice is to ignore the noise and stay the course. Don't forget March 2009. When Obama got sworn in, market was around 9,500. After the Stimulus got passed, it went down to around 6,600 in March. People were headed to the exits. I even remember Sean Hannity saying he was selling stock...I remember thinking to myself what a terrible move. We are pretty much seeing the same thing right now...everyone is headed for the exits. They just want out. The people holding on and/or buying will be rewarded. It works the other way too. Think February 2000, everyone wanted in on the NASDAQ. They didn't care what the stock was, they just wanted in. When everyone wants in, time to get out. Whenever everyone wants out, time to get it. IMO, we haven't experienced that "in" that everyone wanted early 2000. But we have experienced that "out" several times in the past 20 years.
If I didn't already have Boeing, Amazon and Google puts, I'd be selling puts. I think it's a good time to be buying some calls too.
If I came into some cash today, I'd be pumping it into companies like Apple, Chevron, Google, Amazon, Disney, American Express, etc.

Don't shit a shitter.

Here is a chart of the DJI from around 1998 to present day.

Screen Shot 2020-03-09 at 7.38.38 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-03-09 at 7.38.38 PM (resized).png

Let's break it down.

Here is the DOW from the Feb. '01 inauguration ( The chart shows March '01. I'm off a couple of weeks.) As you can see, those were 8 tough years that included Shock and Awe, Weapons of mass destruction (?) , IED's, World Trade Center and a housing crisis that blew everybody's doors off. And after 8 years the DOW was lower than when it started.

Screen Shot 2020-03-09 at 7.50.53 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-03-09 at 7.50.53 PM (resized).png

This chart is from the from Feb, '09 inauguration. Right at rock bottom.

So, would you mind clarifying what you just said with this statement: " When (XXXXX) got sworn in, market was around 9,500. After the Stimulus got passed, it went down to around 6,600 in March. People were headed to the exits."

Because I am not seeing it. I am just not seeing it. At all.

Screen Shot 2020-03-09 at 7.51.30 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-03-09 at 7.51.30 PM (resized).png

And here is from Feb, 2016 to present day.

Screen Shot 2020-03-09 at 7.52.14 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-03-09 at 7.52.14 PM (resized).png

#1703 4 years ago
Quoted from russdx:

Come on pinball price crash....

Not gonna happen. I don't have any money at risk in the markets. My pension checks arrive every month and my pins are paid for. They are not for sale. Not today. Not tomorrow. I don't think I am alone.

Oh, you might hear of a a few who are over leveraged that might have to peel a few off, but it won't be that much.

#1704 4 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

How about the retirees who are having their pensions hit right now?

My pension checks are still coming in every month. I know the company that is paying them. For my check to quit coming in, then the US govt. would have to really be on the ropes.

#1705 4 years ago

If the economy is doing great and the stock market is based on strong principles, why is it reacting so negatively to the economic stimulus vaccines Dr. Offhisrocker keeps ordering STAT?
DeadCat (resized).pngDeadCat (resized).png

"It's not about the oil, it's the debt bubble..." - Peter Schiff

#1706 4 years ago

I have no doubt that I'll get my puts put to me (APPL, AMZN, GOOG, IBM) but these are long term companies and this Corona Virus is a short term hiccup. I don't know when this will end but imo being forced to buy lots of shares at a discount is not the worst thing that can happen. I had shares put to me in the Great Recession and they rebounded well.

#1707 4 years ago

IMO it's only a matter of time before there is a vaccine and this will blow over. I wish everyone would get the Flu vaccine that we have already and be thankful that we have that, the Flu once killed 50 million in one pandemic that was when the world population a lot smaller than it is now. It amazes me that people don't get vaccines for Flu and Measles and etc.. and put at risk other people such as infants that are too young to be vaccinated.

Anyway I hope we can get a good vaccine shortly and this will be a small footnote and hopefully was much to do about very little. I am not saying the Corona virus is not to be taken seriously or lightly but come on a few hundred deaths in many months when around 400K die form Malaria every year.

#1708 4 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

The chances of anyone getting the coronavirus are extremely low, but listening to the news media, one would never know that.

This is not necessarily true. If it’s in your area, your chance is coming.

Infection numbers double every week. 100 week 1, 200 week 2, 400, 800, 1600 etc

Check any area with “a few” infections in a month.

#1709 4 years ago

most people who get the virus have symptoms like the cold or flu and recover. Many people have had the virus and don't even know it. I am sure a lot of precaution are good but once we have a vaccine hopefully this will not be as big of a deal as it is now.

#1710 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

IMO it's only a matter of time before there is a vaccine and this will blow over.

Well yeah, that’s the plan! It will take a year or so at least and then certain peeps will refuse it still. But yes this is not a permanent risk.

#1711 4 years ago

My sister-in-law is a nurse who currently is attending to a patient with the virus. And she seems more concerned with her commute time the hospital. That doesn't speak to everyone, but at least one on the 'front lines.' Back to stocks, is Groupon offering a Groupon for their own stock yet? Under $1, is there any end in sight?

#1712 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

My pension checks are still coming in every month. I know the company that is paying them. For my check to quit coming in, then the US govt. would have to really be on the ropes.

Not everyone has a pension. A lot of people retire on their own savings.

#1713 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Don't shit a shitter.
Here is a chart of the DJI from around 1998 to present day.
[quoted image]
Let's break it down.
Here is the DOW from the Feb. '01 inauguration ( The chart shows March '01. I'm off a couple of weeks.) As you can see, those were 8 tough years that included Shock and Awe, Weapons of mass destruction (?) , IED's, World Trade Center and a housing crisis that blew everybody's doors off. And after 8 years the DOW was lower than when it started.
[quoted image]
This chart is from the from Feb, '09 inauguration. Right at rock bottom.
So, would you mind clarifying what you just said with this statement: " When (XXXXX) got sworn in, market was around 9,500. After the Stimulus got passed, it went down to around 6,600 in March. People were headed to the exits."
Because I am not seeing it. I am just not seeing it. At all.
[quoted image]
And here is from Feb, 2016 to present day.
[quoted image]

First, I typed this off the top of my head. I just looked up the actual numbers. Here they are:

Jan 6, 2009 - 9,016 (closed)
Jan 20, 2009 - 8,276 (open)
March 9, 2009 - 6,547 (close)

If you ask me, I think that’s pretty darn accurate.

#1714 4 years ago

This is media hysteria...Unreal

The fundamentals of our economy are very strong; jobs numbers have been great

#1715 4 years ago
Quoted from dsmoke1986:

How so? Explain Italy.

#1716 4 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

That is my complaint...news isn't being reported. Conjecture is being reported.
I wish the news media would stick with the facts. Stick with ways to protect yourself. The chances of anyone getting the coronavirus are extremely low, but listening to the news media, one would never know that.

This is what the media has done for decades. If not to sell papers, it's to wield their political sword, whichever way they choose. Somewhere along the line someone suggested that journalist strives to report facts without bias for judgement. That's a myth - always has been, always will be. They're f$%^n parasites.

#1717 4 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

First, I typed this off the top of my head. I just looked up the actual numbers. Here they are:

I am not sure what your point is but here is the DOW for the year 2009:
2009 stocks (resized).JPG2009 stocks (resized).JPG

#1718 4 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I apologize. Inauguration is Jan. 20 , not Feb. 20 as I stated. But I am going to add one more number to those you posted.

Let's' go back to Nov. '07 when the Dow closed at 13371. Jan 20 to Mar 9 was a loss of 8276-6547 = 1729 points.

But let's take 13371 - 8276 = 5095 point loss

Nov. 1, 2007- 13371 (close)

So, how come you are pillorying one for a 1729 point loss but let the other have a free ride of 5095 points. Especially when one inherited a trash market and did not even have time to act. And then the market turned around and went way beyond a couple thousand points. You talk about the media trashing people but you are spreading trash yourself.

#1719 4 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I am not sure what your point is but here is the DOW for the year 2009:
[quoted image]

Was how people were heading for the exit. Past 2 weeks feels just like March 2009.

#1720 4 years ago

I think the question is not whether to stay in the market or to get in, the real question right now is when to get in with any cash you have.
I personally feel it is too early beyond buying and selling short term. The other option if you have cash right now that has been proven to be tried and true is dollar cost averaging, buy in lots as it moves. Dollar cost averaging is much easier now that so many brokers offer free trades. It just takes discipline to stick with that method.

#1721 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I apologize. Inauguration is Jan. 20 , not Feb. 20 as I stated. But I am going to add one more number to those you posted.
Let's' go back to Nov. '07 when the Dow closed at 13371. Jan 20 to Mar 9 was a loss of 8276-6547 = 1729 points.
But let's take 13371 - 8276 = 5095 point loss
Nov. 1, 2007- 13371 (close)
So, how come you are pillorying one for a 1729 point loss but let the other have a free ride of 5095 points. Especially when one inherited a trash market and did not even have time to act. And then the market turned around and went way beyond a couple thousand points. You talk about the media trashing people but you are spreading trash yourself.

1 - I didn’t state anything political. Your bias is coming through.

2 - I used Jan - March 09 because March represented the bottom.

3 - I even mentioned how Sean Hannity on his show, said he was selling stocks, when they were at the bottom and I even stated how I thought he was wrong.

4 - I’m trying to contrast how people were heading to the exit in a short period of time, which is what they are doing today. That’s why I used another short period of time. Right now, the feeling is “when will this end?” Which was the exact same feeling in early 2009.

5 - So enlighten me, where exactly am I spreading trash?

6 - I even spoke how it works the opposite way, where everyone is rushing to get in (February 2000).

7 - I keep politics out of investing, because that’s how you make smart investment choices...which I previously mentioned. If you want to be political, fine, here’s a simple question: In Obama’s 8 years, why did he always blame Bush for his economy and now that Trump has a nice economy, he tries to take credit? Let’s not forget that Obama said those manufacturing jobs would never come back cause trump doesn’t have a magic wand...now Obama wants credit for them. Give me a break.

When I judge presidential performances, I look at day 1 and the last day. I judge everything on that period of time. When a new president comes in, I do the same thing. Day 1 and the last day. I never ever base my investment decisions on which party is in power. Why? Every 4 years the president can change. Every 2 - 6 years, the senate can change. Every 2 years, the house can change. There can be a special election that shifts power. You can have a death, then the governor chooses the senator for the remaining term and that shifts power. People who let politics dictate their investment decisions will lose 100% of the time.

My overall investment period, is from today to the day before I die...I’m assuming I can’t spend a lot of money on the very last day.

#1722 4 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

1 - I didn’t state anything political. Your bias is coming through.
2 - I used Jan - March 09 because March represented the bottom.
3 - I even mentioned how Sean Hannity on his show, said he was selling stocks, when they were at the bottom and I even stated how I thought he was wrong.
4 - I’m trying to contrast how people were heading to the exit in a short period of time, which is what they are doing today. That’s why I used another short period of time. Right now, the feeling is “when will this end?” Which was the exact same feeling in early 2009.
5 - So enlighten me, where exactly am I spreading trash?
6 - I even spoke how it works the opposite way, where everyone is rushing to get in (February 2000).
7 - I keep politics out of investing, because that’s how you make smart investment choices...which I previously mentioned. If you want to be political, fine, here’s a simple question: In Obama’s 8 years, why did he always blame Bush for his economy and now that Trump has a nice economy, he tries to take credit? Let’s not forget that Obama said those manufacturing jobs would never come back cause trump doesn’t have a magic wand...now Obama wants credit for them. Give me a break.
When I judge presidential performances, I look at day 1 and the last day. I judge everything on that period of time. When a new president comes in, I do the same thing. Day 1 and the last day. I never ever base my investment decisions on which party is in power. Why? Every 4 years the president can change. Every 2 - 6 years, the senate can change. Every 2 years, the house can change. There can be a special election that shifts power. You can have a death, then the governor chooses the senator for the remaining term and that shifts power. People who let politics dictate their investment decisions will lose 100% of the time.
My overall investment period, is from today to the day before I die...I’m assuming I can’t spend a lot of money on the very last day.

You mentioned names. I'm just reporting where the market was in each time frame.

Carry on.

#1723 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

You mentioned names. I'm just reporting where the market was in each time frame.
Carry on.

Remember, if presidents could control the stock market, we would be at like DJIA 999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999

#1724 4 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

April 15, 2017 I weighed 336 pounds.

what is going on in the stock market thread

#1725 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

what is going on in the stock market thread

Not Tufte's version of the Visual Display of Quantitative Information.

#1726 4 years ago
Quoted from dsmoke1986:

The fundamentals of our economy are very strong; jobs numbers have been great

The Media doesn’t drive the stock market, big institutional investors do. That said, I think I have a comfortable and hopefully objective view of all this from the political Center: things are bad right now, but even if there’s a global recession, the US economy will recover. So I bought shares of Disney and Delta and some index funds over the last 4 days. Delta in particular looks good to me. At this price, the dividend yield is over 3.5%. DIS and DAL are really beaten down right now, and I think they’re a good buy for someone like me who will hold for 10+ years.

#1727 4 years ago
Quoted from Friengineer:

Back to STOCKS please. Is big oil really dead? Is XOM toast because of their debt load?

I want to know this too. I had a nice run with XOM once and I’d jump back in bed with that again with proper precautions.

#1728 4 years ago

I have a uncle that bought a lot of Home Depot stock right when it came out. He has done very well.

I have never messed with the stock market myself, I just never trusted it.

I have been saving to buy another rental house, I know that stuff ok, but with houses so high, and stock getting lower...I am tempted to maybe get some Home Depot, or Lowes stock in the near future.

My thinking with that is I know they are already pretty saturated, not a whole lot more room to expand, but with all the wacky weather and always hurricanes and stuff, I think it may be ok.

They are not even a good deal to buy from, they are high, but convenient. A plumber for instance doing a big job still goes to a plumbing supply house, because supply houses are pretty much still cheaper.

Apple is drilled into my head from reading all this, but I have no Apple products, and I heard when I was young to invest in the companies that you do business with.

Anyway, please let me know if I should just stay away from Lowes and Home Depot stock, or if it is good at a certain price, and what that price is?

Thank You!

#1729 4 years ago
Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

The
Anyway, please let me know if I should just stay away from Lowes and Home Depot stock, or if it is good at a certain price, and what that price is?
Thank You!

Shoot man, I spend at least $1000 a year at HD and Lowe’s, and that’s not changing. I just looked, and between them I’d pick HD right now. They have a decent dividend yield (2.5%), and Lowe’s just had a revenue miss. Thanks for reminding me to buy what I know. I know HD could drop a lot lower, but I’d be happy with that dividend while I wait for a recovery.

#1730 4 years ago

Asia mounting a rally. Dow futures up 600.

Get ready for another head fake?
Let’s see how tues/wed looks.
Good luck to everyone playing with fire.

#1731 4 years ago

Any recommended dividend stocks right now? Ford at 10%, crazy. Thanks.

#1732 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Broadcom pays 5% and is something like 30% off its high
3M pays 4% and is 40% off its high
UPS pays 4.5% and is 40% off its high
XOM pays 8% and is 50% off its high
MO pays 8%
LEG pays 4.7% and is 40% off its high

All are dividend aristocrats except maybe UPS.

#1733 4 years ago
Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

I have a uncle that bought a lot of Home Depot stock right when it came out. He has done very well.
I have never messed with the stock market myself, I just never trusted it.
I have been saving to buy another rental house, I know that stuff ok, but with houses so high, and stock getting lower...I am tempted to maybe get some Home Depot, or Lowes stock in the near future.
My thinking with that is I know they are already pretty saturated, not a whole lot more room to expand, but with all the wacky weather and always hurricanes and stuff, I think it may be ok.
They are not even a good deal to buy from, they are high, but convenient. A plumber for instance doing a big job still goes to a plumbing supply house, because supply houses are pretty much still cheaper.
Apple is drilled into my head from reading all this, but I have no Apple products, and I heard when I was young to invest in the companies that you do business with.
Thank You!

Speaking candidly, if you do not know much about the stock market, I would not dip my toe into the market at this time without getting a little education first because this is just whipsawing.

I think that there are much better investments out there at this time compared to HD and Lowes but that is up to you. I don't necessarily agree with your thesis for wanting to invest in either. Both of these stock are more for home improvement, not necessarily weather related. With interest rates being down and people refinancing and taking out HELOCs, you tend to see people go shop at HD and Lowes. But you were looking more at weather. For that, you should look at stocks like USG, who is the number one manufacturer of sheetrock. That and other companies tend to go up when you have a disaster.

HD is a great company and is near historic highs if you look at a 5 year chart. Will it continue its run? Who knows. As somebody said, Lowes had a miss. They are trying to reshape their business. We will have to see how that goes.

For quick and dirty analysis of stocks, look at barchart.com. Using stock fundamentals, it will give you a quick a dirty opinion of a stock. Right now, it has HD a weak buy and Lowes as a weak sell.

#1734 4 years ago

Funny how behavioral psychology is working against people making money in the market. My old old Mother in law who has a MBA by the way, was thinking she should sell her stocks and get into bonds (Yesterday). My parents did the same thing during the crash of 2008 without asking me. I would have suggested the opposite (rebalance).

This is the exact opposite of what good investment discipline would dictate. It’s why many people earn less than market returns.

I don’t doubt that people who know nothing except what the media headlines are screaming at them will panic sell at the bottom.

https://www.thebalance.com/why-average-investors-earn-below-average-market-returns-2388519

https://assetbuilder.com/knowledge-center/articles/are-investors-as-dumb-as-this-study-says

#1735 4 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

You thumb me down for posting facts? All I did was put some perspective into what a huge drop would mean in relation to the last ten years.
Are you scared or being defensive?

sorry, I think that was a miss-click and meant to click the thumbs up

#1736 4 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

You’ve got to be buying oil.

how did that work out?

#1737 4 years ago

I have been successful with Apple, Tesla, Microsoft and Amazon. They're what I tend to watch also. I'd like to take advantage of the drop, but don't know if now is the time to buy. It would be nice to see some green numbers in my portfolio instead of the red ones I've been seeing. What are people doing today?

#1738 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Lots of thought that F may cut its dividend if things don't start looking up for it. If this lasts, it could be bad for them. (Note I hold a bunch of F stock).

BMY is a personal div favorite of mine that should recover when this is over.

#1739 4 years ago

I see a lot of talk about dividend stocks on here. Are folks primarily buying for the dividend? My broker and I tend to buy stocks that we think are going to have movements up and if they pay a dividend while we wait, that is a bonus. Just curious how others are approaching this.

#1740 4 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

I see a lot of talk about dividend stocks on here. Are folks primarily buying for the dividend? My broker and I tend to buy stocks that we think are going to have movements up and if they pay a dividend while we wait, that is a bonus. Just curious how others are approaching this.

I like a quality undervalued company that pays a dividend.
If the stock trades sideways for years, you are still collecting 5%

#1741 4 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

I like a quality undervalued company that pays a dividend.
If the stock trades sideways for years, you are still collecting 5%

Makes sense. We tend to be a little more active in our trading so if we find an investment that is going sideways and we think that if there is a better opportunity somewhere else at the time (factoring in dividends), we tend to move over. I hate having dead money locked up.

#1743 4 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I don’t disagree with you but the spreading of all this rampant fear is resulting in the cancelation of a lot of stuff. So many people are scared to travel or go to events now, revenue lost from things like the cancelation of a 30,000 person convention in New Orleans or Vegas will never be recovered by those communities. It’s sad, but it’s worse than the recession talk of last year because it has so many people afraid to leave their house...
That said, I’m glad to see so many people now practicing good hygiene, I’m hoping the fist bump will replace the handshake and people will keep up their hand washing once all the freaking out is done in a week or two.
Sadly this scare is combined with the oil prices going down. That is going to stimulate some things and depress others.

Boston canceled there saint Paddy's day parade that is huge Harvard is telling students to not come back from break as classes will be online for now

#1744 4 years ago

Damn. I transferred a few bucks into my Ameritrade account to buy a few shares of something today, stop here to see what everyone is recommending and all the talk is over COVID-19.

#1745 4 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

April 15, 2017 I weighed 336 pounds.
Today, I weight 200 pounds. Still have 25 more to go.
I know what it was like to be obese...and it sucks!!

Hell of a job

#1746 4 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Damn. I transferred a few bucks into my Ameritrade account to buy a few shares of something today, stop here to see what everyone is recommending and all the talk is over COVID-19.

Let's make sure we don't bring this COVID-19 talk into our GIF thread

#1747 4 years ago
Quoted from noob-a-tron:

Australia dropped another 2.7% in 10 mins already over 10% in 2 days is that a recession now?

A recession is based on GDP the market is meaningless

#1748 4 years ago

I was dumb and bought the last dip. Luckily not all of my cash though, still have a chunk to trade when we finally hit bottom.

We just had conference after conference cancel at work. Im not buying shit for a while.

#1749 4 years ago

I was not timing the market but late January I realized my assets allocation was tilted more to stocks than I wanted. I was not looking at PE or fundamentals of the market just looking at me stock to bond ratio. I sold 5% of mr stocks and bought bonds. It was just about perfect time, by chance.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 12.95
$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 20,994 posts in this topic. You are on page 35 of 420.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stock-market-traders/page/35 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.