IMG_3037 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2908 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7658 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240226-151719 (resized).png
Screenshot_20240226-151210 (resized).png
IMG_1493 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0470 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 20,824 posts in this topic. You are on page 337 of 417.
#16801 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I dunno, do YOU want to deal with entitled assholes that don't want to follow rules, make death threats, might shoot you for getting your order wrong...and that's not even mentioning dealing with COVID the last few years. You might be frustrated, but your statements here show that you just don't get it. It's been proven, this country is more than half assholes who only care about themselves. I don't know you or what you do, so it's not a comment on 'you', but it's the mentality. While I have seen first hand yeah, people are f'ng lazy....at the same time, who'd want to deal with the public these days? It's pretty clear the rich people are really disconnected from reality and showing the selfish side.
I've been working remote for over 10 years now. I can't imagine not doing it. Just making the commute every other month or so is annoying. It disrupts the flow, adds extra hours, gets the blood pressure up, and I get less work done. In todays climate I'd probably retire and sell everything before going back to dealing with people in person all the time.

I'm not hiring people that have to worry about "getting anyones order wrong".

I'm hiring for corporate level jobs and those workers don't want to do anything either.

Not every employee in the US is in the service industry, I agree those jobs suck and I have no idea why anyone would want to do them.

Those people especially got shafted during Covid having to for example go work in a supermarket while their bosses stayed home.

#16802 1 year ago
Quoted from Elvishasleft:

I'm trying to hire at what historically would be higher than average pay and offering hybrid work for those who are too big a pussy to leave their house.

I work from home 100% of the time, 20% pre-COVID. I save $2500 in gas, get 2 hours of my day back from not commuting, no miles/wear/tear/tires/oil changes, make my own meals, and don't have to put the dog in his $6000/yr (now probably $7-8K/year) daycare. I also can pickup/dropoff my son at school, help him with homework if needed after school, finished my MBA, and rehabbed my rescue dog to be no longer afraid of humans. And to @zablon's reply, yeah, I don't have to waste time socializing with people I hate at the office in passing or in person meetings (and I have the people skills of a hornet, so that list is loooooong).

Call me a pussy. I ain't going back to the office unless it's contingent on my continued employment AND they offset all those savings in life I have right now (some of which I value more than my equivalent "hourly rate" would suggest). My metrics have improved too, and they gave shit raises this year. If they try to get us "pussies" back, they won't know what hit them (morale killer, departures, demands...etc.). WFH has helped some companies thrive during these times and they haven't had to spend anything extra, and all we ask is that we perform better from our home office.

#16803 1 year ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

I work from home 100% of the time, 20% pre-COVID. I save $2500 in gas, get 2 hours of my day back from not commuting, no miles/wear/tear/tires/oil changes, make my own meals, and don't have to put the dog in his $6000/yr (now probably $7-8K/year) daycare. I also can pickup/dropoff my son at school, help him with homework if needed after school, finished my MBA, and rehabbed my rescue dog to be no longer afraid of humans. And to Zablon's reply, yeah, I don't have to waste time socializing with people I hate at the office in passing or in person meetings (and I have the people skills of a hornet, so that list is loooooong).
Call me a pussy. I ain't going back to the office unless it's contingent on my continued employment AND they offset all those savings in life I have right now (some of which I value more than my equivalent "hourly rate" would suggest). My metrics have improved too, and they gave shit raises this year. If they try to get us "pussies" back, they won't know what hit them (morale killer, departures, demands...etc.). WFH has helped some companies thrive during these times and they haven't had to spend anything extra, and all we ask is that we perform better from our home office.

Depends on the job... what I am hiring for really cannot be done properly from home.

That being said I am still offering some form of hybrid because I know that is the thing now.

Also for every unicorn like you who can do the job from home and perform better there are 10 people who are just coasting and doing the minimum to hold on to their paycheck.

Anyways I give up... this isn't a jobs thread.

Enjoy the recession and hope the work at home army isn't the first to get laid off when the shit hits the fan.

#16804 1 year ago

the free money years

What does this mean? Regular people aren't living off of the stimulus checks they got, so where is this "free" money (enough to pay for life's expenses) coming from in your estimation? I'm genuinely curious as I hear this a lot and I must be missing something obvious.

Really what's happened is that for the first time in my lifetime, employees have the upper hand. And that is really pissing off people who are accustomed to having and enjoying the power. Why is it that the free market works fine one way but when it flips "people don't want to work"? Don't supply/demand principles apply even if it affects you negatively?

Pay people what they're worth, treat them in a way that makes them feel validated and valuable and they'll want to stay. Treat them as if their job should be their life and they won't, at least not in this market. I'm not sure it's really all that complicated. (I've been an employer nearly my entire adult life, so I do have some insight on this)

#16805 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Isn't the fact that companies are STILL complaininga bout not being able to find workers, and saying we need layoffs a bit contrary? While it's a bit unbalanced depending on the field, it's across the board.

Only because they still have access to capital. Once that tightens (after banks tighten), then loans and mortgages and lines of credit won't be paid, loans default, and then there is your recession.

#16806 1 year ago
Quoted from jitneystand1:

What does this mean? Regular people aren't living off of the stimulus checks they got, so where is this "free" money (enough to pay for life's expenses) coming from in your estimation?

PPP loans, extended and expanded unemployment, rent abatements, school loan deferrals, on and on

#16807 1 year ago
Quoted from swampfire:

If my employer could hire someone in India to do what I do, they would have done it already.

Bingo.

#16808 1 year ago

PPP loans, extended and expanded unemployment, rent abatements, school loan deferrals, on and on

I guess I meant what is keeping people from working right now? Only the student loan deferrals are currently happening as far as I am aware...unemployment claims are at a historical low so that should have a negligible effect (as compared to prior time periods, I mean). Where is everyone who doesn't want to work getting the cash to pay life's expenses right now?

#16809 1 year ago

So…is it time to buy yet? I’m 60% cash and have been waiting for this moment. But I want to retire in 3-4 years so I don’t want to fuck it up.

#16810 1 year ago

Total bullshit... the free money years have made everyone think money grows on trees and the next bailout is right around the corner.
I'm trying to hire at what historically would be higher than average pay and offering hybrid work for those who are too big a pussy to leave their house.
There are no more bailouts and other bullshit coming... nothing but recession and struggle.
"I'm too good for this job" wont work when you run out of food and cant pay rent in 2023.

The "free money years" ended quite some time ago. People have been struggling to pay for food and rent for years, you must not know too many working class folks and that's why you are so tone deaf to what their lives are like.

Reading your post, why would anyone want to work for you? You're sexist, angry, insult workers and pay too low of wages. Pussies are strong and sexy, not a sign of weakness. Businesses that insist that workers are asking for too much pay and pine away for a recession to bring wages back down are likely to be those that fail in a recession because they clearly have failed to adjust their wages for today's economy.

#16811 1 year ago

giphy-16.gifgiphy-16.gif

So, did anyone buy anything today? Is there anything worth buying? Hell even XLE is down almost 10% over the last 4 trading days.

I spoke with a friend's advisor today and he suggested that we are near the bottom, but would really like to see the S&P around 3600. He also suggested thinking about some international exposure. My only international exposure rn are large growth stocks that have business outside the US - MSFT, GOOG, AAPL, etc. In other words, none really.

#16812 1 year ago
Quoted from RTR:

[quoted image]
So, did anyone buy anything today? Is there anything worth buying? Hell even XLE is down almost 10% over the last 4 trading days.
I spoke with a friend's advisor today and he suggested that we are near the bottom, but would really like to see the S&P around 3600. He also suggested thinking about some international exposure. My only international exposure rn are large growth stocks that have business outside the US - MSFT, GOOG, AAPL, etc. In other words, none really.

I’m waiting to see what happens Wednesday

#16813 1 year ago
Quoted from RTR:

He also suggested thinking about some international exposure.

I wonder if the Eurozone will lead or lag in this economic cycle. “BRIC” is broken, who the hell wants to invest in Brazil, Russia or China? I invested in Canada (EWC) in the last downturn, and I didn’t do so great. But I may try that again.

#16814 1 year ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

What is Wednesday? Another Fed meeting?

USOI is my largest holding and is actually just barely green today. The rest of my watchlist is red anywhere from 4-16%. I only have one other holding right now and that’s down 14% today. Debating on averaging that down a little or just leaving it alone as it’s more on the speculative side of things anyway.

#16815 1 year ago
Quoted from kool1:

No different than a high quality dividend paying stock.

The 2 are very different.

You don't get depreciation or amortization or interest deductions from dividend stocks or any paper assets. Only in real-estate.

Plus the key word is 'Cash Flow' >passive income. And its taxed lower than paper assets like stocks.

Ready or listen to: https://www.amazon.com/s

#16816 1 year ago
Quoted from Nstone4425:

This all of this!

Agree to disagree.

#16817 1 year ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Also, with Real Estate you always have the real estate taxes and upkeep.

All taxed deductible.

#16819 1 year ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

Sonic doesn't pay it's employees well enough to justify the cost of their food. The General Manager lied to you if he said that's the most they can afford to pay people when you compare their wages and prices to other employers.
Our local burger chain starts at $19 an hour, offers health insurance, child care and college scholarships and the burgers cost less than Sonic. Dick's Burgers is well-staffed and a well-oiled machine that's fast and efficient, with no slackers. Businesses need to adjust and stop thinking workers will come around to their low wages and be dedicated hard working employees when they aren't willing to make the financial and training commitment to them. If they pay well, train them well and manage them well, they won't have problems.
Dick's Burgers pay and benefits: https://www.ddir.com/employment/

LOL... Whatever. How many transactions per hour do they process? That's the key here, volume... IN-N-Out, and apparently Dick's Burgers, can pay so much because it's constantly busy, all locations, all hours they are open. Up here where I'm at, that's just not the case, the volume isn't there.

$19/hr to work fast food? Yikes... That's just nuts and it's examples like yours that give low skilled labor the impression they're worth far more than they are and that market distortion is a huge problem right now. The market will correct, and that correction is going to be painful to those who drank the kool-aid...

Jeff

#16820 1 year ago

Market rates for me, minimum wage for thee

#16821 1 year ago

SQQQ is the real mvp

#16822 1 year ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

I don't know when the bottom is. I've gone from contributing the ammount I was once a month six months ago when the market was great to once a week now. I'm losing my butt, but it will turn around eventually.

I just started DCA’ing weekly into SCHD/DGRO for my long term div/growth portion of port.

#16823 1 year ago
Quoted from jeffro01:

LOL... Whatever. How many transactions per hour do they process? That's the key here, volume... IN-N-Out, and apparently Dick's Burgers, can pay so much because it's constantly busy, all locations, all hours they are open. Up here where I'm at, that's just not the case, the volume isn't there.
$19/hr to work fast food? Yikes... That's just nuts and it's examples like yours that give low skilled labor the impression they're worth far more than they are and that market distortion is a huge problem right now. The market will correct, and that correction is going to be painful to those who drank the kool-aid...
Jeff

Nah, it's not market distortion, inflation has been high for a long time and wages have been more competitive for entry level positions for years, my city moved to a $15 min wage 8 years ago. You just don't hire for entry level positions like I do so you aren't aware.

It's simple supply and demand and it's not going going back, just like prices will not go back down even when supply chain issues are solved, we've shown businesses that we will pay these prices. Complain about pinball prices going up and candy bars being 10 cents when you were a kid all you want, it's time to realize the economy and market has changed.

I looked up Sonic in my state, they start at $17 an hour, so certainly your local Sonic could pay more, it's choosing not to. Sonic is a franchise, so the local owner is choosing to pay less, be open less, and see how that works out for them. And they also have a manager complaining to customers about too high of wages... which is absolutely a terrible way to run a business. I've heard managers and business owners complain to me about their employees wanting a fair wage before, that's the last time I set foot in their business and I usually tell my friends not to go there too. At least give the illusion to the customer that you are a business that cares about it's employees and customers!

#16824 1 year ago

I paid $2.99 for gas the other day and couldn't believe I was happy to be paying that much.

#16825 1 year ago

for those who are too big a pussy to leave their house.

With that attitude i cant imagine why no one wants to work for you.

#16826 1 year ago

Holy crap crypto is getting hammered again tonight. Btc might be on its way under 20k. Gold was down today but getting a small bounce

#16827 1 year ago
Quoted from Dr-Willy:

With that attitude i cant imagine why no one wants to work for you.

Yes, everyone knows that this country was built on the backs of great men who stayed home because you know... its just so much more comfortable there.

#16828 1 year ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Well... in the government contracting world there is a severe shortage of qualified workers. There was a huge wave of retirements at the start of COVID, and to compound to that the shift to remote work has led people to leave this industry in droves. I have six figure positions that I can't fill.

I see retirements and early retirements all over the place. People saying they are done with the BS after being off for COVID or out of the office.

Recession and market downturn will definitely fix the imbalance to some degree. If your retirement funds shrink quickly - Walmart will have a greeting job for you!

Quoted from Yoko2una:

Right now you are likely to be able to stay at home and if you aren't a "career" guy then promotions don't matter. If the job market loses though, be careful.

Quoted from PiperPinball:

The 2 are very different.
You don't get depreciation or amortization or interest deductions from dividend stocks or any paper assets. Only in real-estate.
Plus the key word is 'Cash Flow' >passive income. And its taxed lower than paper assets like stocks.
Ready or listen to: amazon.com link »

Tax on dividends and cap gains also low. Much less work and better liquidity.

#16829 1 year ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Virtual Work is a done deal in the IT/Engineerinf sector. If my employer could hire someone in India to do what I do, they would have done it already. I’ve been working remote since 2017. COVID helped companies realize that people are even more productive working from home, and less likely to look for other jobs. Eventually they’ll be able to downsize their office towers.
I kicked off a series of design meetings last week for a new project. I drove to the office to lead the meetings, and just a few people showed up live. After struggling with my shitty laptop display for a few days, I moved back my home office and led the meetings from my 32” monitor. Those 100% virtual meetings went WAY better. No weird echoes from people in the room together. Nobody showing up late because of traffic.

I hear ya but a ton of big companies, IT related included, are now bringing workers back to the office with a hybrid work approach.

#16831 1 year ago

My grandfather was an immigrant/ veteran / metal worker who busted his ass because he had to feed his family.

All I know is we are about to hit what is likely an epic recession with the softest, whiniest workforce in American history.

Work smarter.

Work smarter would mean don't work for anyone but yourself and stop bitching that life is unfair. But you wont because it's easier to complain.

#16832 1 year ago

I had thought of early retirement but wanted to keep health (family) and still have a child in college so I kept on working but cut back my hours, so glad I'm not living off my nest egg yet. I figure 5 more years and hope there is a recovery in that time.

#16833 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I hear ya but a ton of big companies, IT related included, are now bringing workers back to the office with a hybrid work approach.

We can work from home 2-3 days at home right now and most people are doing that.

I'm in every day again but I don't like sitting at home and a lot of good restaurants near my office.

#16834 1 year ago

All taxed deductible.

No, real estate tax and state income tax are capped at $10000 combined so that means nearly a standard deduction for most people.

#16835 1 year ago

All I know is we are about to hit what is likely an epic recession with the softest, whiniest workforce in American history.

It seems the whining isn’t limited only to the workforce

#16836 1 year ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

No, real estate tax and state income tax are capped at $10000 combined so that means nearly a standard deduction for most people.

The $10k limit doesn't apply to investment properties.

Seems like that's what people are doing. LLC registrations are up and anecdotally I notice the same with people existing the traditional workforce grind and starting their own businesses. Good for them, I think many have realized that you can net more from a simple work from home business than you can from a typical drive to the office job, once you factor in all the true costs of working at an office along with the numerous tax benefits of having your own LLC and working at home.

#16837 1 year ago

Yes, everyone knows that this country was built on the backs of great men who stayed home because you know... its just so much more comfortable there.

Companies that were built out of their home to start:

Apple
Disney
Mattel
Google
Amazon
HP

Yep, nothing ever accomplished at home. Those slackers, lol.

#16838 1 year ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Incorrect. Property tax 100% deductible if you have a corporation/business. Plus all the deprecation from the real estate.
Your talking about the SALT tax. That is different and is for personal.

Check out this article. Talks about legal ways around the SALT cap.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/states-help-business-owners-save-big-on-federal-taxes-with-salt-cap-workarounds-11653989400

#16839 1 year ago

Incorrect. Property tax 100% deductible if you have a corporation/business. Plus all the deprecation from the real-estate.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/states-help-business-owners-save-big-on-federal-taxes-with-salt-cap-workarounds-11653989400

#16840 1 year ago
Quoted from Reality_Studio:

The $10k limit doesn't apply to investment properties.

Seems like that's what people are doing. LLC registrations are up and anecdotally I notice the same with people existing the traditional workforce grind and starting their own businesses. Good for them, I think many have realized that you can net more from a simple work from home business than you can from a typical drive to the office job, once you factor in all the true costs of working at an office along with the numerous tax benefits of having your own LLC and working at home.

100% correct. I'm doing this myself

#16841 1 year ago
Quoted from taylor34:

Companies that were built out of their home to start:
Apple
Disney
Mattel
Google
Amazon
HP
Yep, nothing ever accomplished at home. Those slackers, lol.

Yes, this is exactly the same thing as being an employee working from home.

Great so grow a pair and start a business out of your garage and stop complaining about your "work conditions".

#16842 1 year ago

My grandfather was an immigrant/ veteran / metal worker who busted his ass because he had to feed his family.
Work smarter.
Work smarter would mean don't work for anyone but yourself and stop bitching that life is unfair. But you wont because it's easier to complain.

Hey you realize most of our grandparents were immigrants that worked right? Doesn't change history and the fact you were completely wrong.

I don't disagree that there's an issue, but it is hardly a one sided issue.

#16843 1 year ago

Great so grow a pair and start a business out of your garage and stop complaining about your "work conditions".

This...is too easy.

#16844 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

This...is too easy.

Dude... I don't care. I've given the best advice I could give anyone.

Dont like your work conditions? hours? boss? commute? Start your own business and do it your own way or STFU.

Feel free to list your excuses why you can't because they don't matter.

Good job deleting your earlier post BTW.

#16845 1 year ago

I work as a software engineer, and I recently changed jobs too. My company old company was one of those that was a stick in the mud, nothing good can happen at home, etc. Pandemic forced them to have almost everyone work from home due to their office setup, I worked remotely for about 2 years. 2021 was the best year in the company's history. March of 2022 though, they ordered everyone back to the office a minimum of 3 days a week, no exceptions. What happened? Everyone bailing.

This is the problem. You can pay people more and have them come in, or you can pay them less and give them flexibility, but you can't expect people to work for less pay and less flexibility. Programming isn't something that needs you to be in the office most of the time.

So when someone offered me more pay and more flexibility, I'd kind of be a moron not to take it, lol. The hilarious thing is that since my old company doesn't pay enough and doesn't offer remote work, they can't hire anyone. They're trying to backfill my position from a remote office 250 miles away. Yes, instead of letting me work remote 20 miles away, it's a better idea to have a new hire team member 250 miles away because he can be 'in office'.

That's the kind of weird stuff that goes on. This isn't about about remote work so much as it's the fact that so many companies and businesses have used their local leverage to hold down salaries and benefits for a long time, and this is the result. The remote work is just the equalizer as it levels the playing field for workers who have been in situations where they had no other choice.

#16846 1 year ago

Dude... I don't care. I've given the best advice I could give anyone.
Dont like your work conditions? hours? boss? commute? Start your own business and do it your own way or STFU.
Feel free to list your excuses why you can't because they don't matter.
Good job deleting your earlier post BTW.

That wasn't me. *cough*

You've mistaken my comments as me complaining about me. I'm not. I'm fine. However, I do recognize that there's an issue, and no amount of corporate excuses that 'people should just step in line' are going to fix what you are going through either.

It seems that many of those people who don't want 'real' office jobs, did what you suggested and started their own jobs...even if they are nontraditional.

#16847 1 year ago

Incorrect. Property tax 100% deductible if you have a corporation/business. Plus all the deprecation from the real estate.

I was thinking more in terms of the ownership aspect of property or land rather than the active real estate ownership including rent/leasing.
Either way you pay taxes but with business you get to deduct more but still pay ongoing taxes and the deduction essentially gives you a small percentage of the tax back. You also have the ongoing headaches of upkeep, legal issues, and tenant problems.

#16848 1 year ago

Work smarter.

I love the irony here, you think workers will become exactly what you are... soft, whiney and complainy, once they face a tough recession. What's your excuse for being that way now before things have even got tough? Buck up, buttercup.

#16849 1 year ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

OMG...I just read the predictions of the FED....yikes. Don't plan on buying any stocks this week.

#16850 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

OMG...I just read the predictions of the FED....yikes. Don't plan on buying any stocks this week.

Shorts and puts are printing…

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy
Protection
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply
Decals
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
Boards
PinSound
Boards
$ 12.95
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus
Toys/Add-ons
There are 20,824 posts in this topic. You are on page 337 of 417.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stock-market-traders/page/337 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.