Image 4-6-24 at 11.42?AM (resized).jpeg
IMG_7948 (resized).jpeg
kuiil-have-spoken.gif
200w.gif
gold24 (resized).jpg
counting_coins_02.gif
IMG_1659 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 21,015 posts in this topic. You are on page 32 of 421.
#1551 4 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

This is a trading market. You need to be very nimble on what is going on. Apple at 260 was a gift. If you are buying now, trailing stops are your friend.

Picked up some at 289. Wish I had picked up some more.

#1552 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I am a bit resistant to throw everything in near the top. Maybe not the best idea, but I'm risk adverse.

Then just stay in low risk securities. Why keep yourself up at night?

#1553 4 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

trailing stops are your friend.

Yes! Under utilized

#1554 4 years ago

I agree that Apple is a 400 stock. I missed the run up this time but was glad for this pullback. Before the stock split a few years ago, I rode it from 80 bucks to 700, buying selling, and trading it the whole way. It was a great run, and I think we will see it happen again. Apple is shifting to more of a subscription model in how they sell their phones, their tv service, etc. Wall Street loves subscription companies.

#1555 4 years ago

I know I'm in the minority around here, but I have no interest in Apple.

#1556 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

That is quite ok. I took my cues from Buffett, who said only invest in stuff that you know and like.

#1557 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I’m only interested in what has the potential to make me a lot of money.

#1558 4 years ago

most people (myself for one) are interested in stocks for the long haul as in Decades (multiple decades) and these prices are going to seem very low in 20-30 years time. No one can time the market (fooling yourself if you think you can) you need to be right twice both at the top and bottom and if you miss the biggest 5-10 trading days of the year you miss out on 90% of the gains and might set you up for losses as you chase stocks after they go up.

https://www.fool.com/investing/2019/04/11/what-happens-when-you-miss-the-best-days-in-the-st.aspx

#1559 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

most people (myself for one) are interested in stocks for the long haul as in Decades (multiple decades) and these prices are going to seem very low in 20-30 years time.

I’m hoping I actually see 3 decades out, but I’m with you.

#1560 4 years ago

We just had two of the highest point gain days in history between 4-5% gain in two of the last 3 days. If people were waiting for a sign to buy they may have already missed it. Whereas with me, I never sold any and didn't have to time when to get back in.

#1561 4 years ago

I think a lot of it comes down to what your risk profile, risk tolerance, income level. and number of years to retirement is. I have investments that I have for years but for a major sector that I invest in (tech) buy and hold is not necessarily the best strategy. Microsoft was dead money for over a decade until things changed. Tech can be very volatile. I work with my broker and we look less at entry and exit prices but more entry and exit market conditions. We thought the market got frothy in January so took gains and raised powder. In that case, last week was a gift. We made a plan over the weekend of what stocks we liked and what types of allocations we wanted to do in each stock. For Apple, for example, we wanted to take a half position. Due to market volatility, I did not want to commit to more than that at this time. If the market stabilizes and Apple is still going up, I will buy more. But with the half position and trailing stops, if the market goes down, I can take my gains and look to reenter at a lower point. It requires you to be more attentive, but for something like tech, that is one of the better ways that I have seen to play it.

#1562 4 years ago

Never played the stock market so this is a guess and correct me if i am wrong. But it seems to me that this panic was created so people could make money again as maybe stocks were exhausted. If so that is not a good thing, It means it is really the start of something worse as the stock market is really that fragile. So as someone who really knows nothing but just observing i think it will slide a lot more.

#1563 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

most people (myself for one) are interested in stocks for the long haul as in Decades (multiple decades) and these prices are going to seem very low in 20-30 years time. No one can time the market (fooling yourself if you think you can) you need to be right twice both at the top and bottom and if you miss the biggest 5-10 trading days of the year you miss out on 90% of the gains and might set you up for losses as you chase stocks after they go up.
https://www.fool.com/investing/2019/04/11/what-happens-when-you-miss-the-best-days-in-the-st.aspx

While the premise sounds good, this isn't even realistic. Most people who 'did nothing' wouldn't even notice this assuming it goes back up to what it was. They would be contributing money on a normal schedule, not on a single day that goes up. That is the equivalent of trying to time the market. In most cases they are missing those days.

In reality, the market dropped 12%, then went up 5%. Making 3-5% in a day is nothing if you lost 12% the day before - and then it goes down another 10% after. (again in the article it's talking about buying during a spike - which most people wouldn't even be able to do. It was a 1 day bounce). My take is, the market is going lower. At this point it's anyones guess. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm not.

#1564 4 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

I’m only interested in what has the potential to make me a lot of money.

So you don't care what companies do to get that money?

#1565 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

So you don't care what companies do to get that money?

What nefarious behavior are these companies participating that should give me pause?

#1566 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

While the premise sounds good, this isn't even realistic. Most people who 'did nothing' wouldn't even notice this assuming it goes back up to what it was. They would be contributing money on a normal schedule, not on a single day that goes up. That is the equivalent of trying to time the market. In most cases they are missing those days.
In reality, the market dropped 12%, then went up 5%. Making 3-5% in a day is nothing if you lost 12% the day before - and then it goes down another 10% after. (again in the article it's talking about buying during a spike - which most people wouldn't even be able to do. It was a 1 day bounce). My take is, the market is going lower. At this point it's anyones guess. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm not.

It probably will go back down, but I will all but guarantee the market will be up in ten years.

Buy when it dips then ride it when it goes up.

#1567 4 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

What nefarious behavior are these companies participating that should give me pause?

It doesn't matter, we will most likely disagree on it and regardless of what is said it will go nowhere. It's all good.

#1568 4 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

I fondly remember my first Apple II personal computer.

Apple used to manufacture computers in the USAbut that was bad for business, so they moved production to China, where labor is cheap and human rights are an afterthought.Apple also has a history of using offshore tax havens to avoid paying taxes in the USand using planned obsolescence to force consumers to buy the latest iPhones.

Obviously, no one really cares as long as "number goes up".

Also, Woz says he's Patient Zero for the Corona-virus in the US.(He's only joking!)

#1569 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

We just had two of the highest point gain days in history between 4-5% gain in two of the last 3 days. If people were waiting for a sign to buy they may have already missed it. Whereas with me, I never sold any and didn't have to time when to get back in.

Look back to the last 5 days. We also had some of the biggest down days in the history of the market.

#1570 4 years ago

Also, Woz says he's Patient Zero for the Corona-virus in the US.(He's only joking

#1571 4 years ago

Personally I am hoping VXX hits 30 so I pay for three brand new games

#1572 4 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Look back to the last 5 days. We also had some of the biggest down days in the history of the market.

I'm not goin g to belabor the point. Evidence points to "time in the market" not "timing" the market. The article I posted above point out why you can't time the market, it shows if you had you money fully invested all time vs if you had somehow missed 5 of the biggest up days in the market which some people did if they jumped out of the market. Also most people don't jump out before the stocks go down, they want to ride the wave up but are never sure until we have a correction like 10% down. If they jumped out every time there was a 1-2% down day there would be a lot of jumping in and out.

Anyway you all can do what you want, but the expert advice is to not try to time the market and you will be better off.

There is an article about a person who only bought stocks at the worst possible times in other words at the peaks before the dot com, at the peaks before the great recession, before the crash of 87 (In other words he put money in at the higher points of bubbles) and he still came out positive. So I'm never worried if I put money in the market today or next year or anytime that I'm getting in at the wrong time.

https://awealthofcommonsense.com/2014/02/worlds-worst-market-timer/

#1573 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I'm not goin g to belabor the point. Evidence points to "time in the market" not "timing" the market. The article I posted above point out why you can't time the market, it shows if you had you money fully invested all time vs if you had somehow missed 5 of the biggest up days in the market which some people did if they jumped out of the market. Also most people don't jump out before the stocks go down, they want to ride the wave up but are never sure until we have a correction like 10% down. If they jumped out every time there was a 1-2% down day there would be a lot of jumping in and out.
Anyway you all can do what you want, but the expert advice is to not try to time the market and you will be better off.
There is an article about a person who only bought stocks at the worst possible times in other words at the peaks before the dot com, at the peaks before the great recession, before the crash of 87 (In other words he put money in at the higher points of bubbles) and he still came out positive. So I'm never worried if I put money in the market today or next year or anytime that I'm getting in at the wrong time.
https://awealthofcommonsense.com/2014/02/worlds-worst-market-timer/

I’m not sure how anyone could be arguing with you.

#1574 4 years ago

I just sold off my Apple stock because I feel it will go down like it did last week and I can scoop it back up at a lower price again. It was in a Roth IRA so the profits which are well over 100% of the investment cost are not taxable.

The airlines are not looking healthy right now with the start of canceling domestic flights on top of the already canceled international flights.

#1575 4 years ago

Good trade/bad trade:

Good: bought VXX Mar 20 $25 calls on March 3 for $1.42, sold VXX Mar 20 $29 calls today for $1.42. No net cost but can make $4 per share.

Bad: Extended $20/$16 Mar 20 UVXY put spread out to April 17. Cost me an extra $0.19 per share. Really bad trade so far.

#1576 4 years ago

I wonder how the rental car industry is doing. Flights are down so rentals through that source are down, but could people be renting cars more for long distance travel as an alternative to flying and other public transportation?

#1577 4 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I wonder how the rental car industry is doing. Flights are down so rentals through that source are down, but could people be renting cars more for long distance travel as an alternative to flying and other public transportation?

Hertz stock is down over 50% in two weeks, so I'm going to say business is not well.

#1578 4 years ago

Love, love, loving my gold today.

#1579 4 years ago

under what general conditions do people ever look to sell their gold holdings?

#1580 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

under what general conditions do people ever look to sell their gold holdings?

I’ve been adding to that portfolio since 1990 and have never sold. It will probably go to my children intact.

The only time I see folks selling gold is when prices are historically high and they need cash to buy or invest in something else.

#1581 4 years ago

Time in the market is key. I bought a public utility stock in 1979, set the dividends to reinvest and basically forgot about it. It has gone from $5.00 in 1979 to 68.98 as of 5 mins ago... the power of time and compounding as each quarter the dividends buy new shares.

#1582 4 years ago
Quoted from Xenon75:

Time in the market is key. I bought a public utility stock in 1979, set the dividends to reinvest and basically forgot about it. It has gone from $5.00 in 1979 to 68.98 as of 5 mins ago... the power of time and compounding as each quarter the dividends buy new shares.

Curious, what is your annual rate of return after 40+ years?

#1583 4 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Curious, what is your annual rate of return after 40+ years?

6.61% plus the net dividend yield after taxes (if outside of a sheltered account).

#1584 4 years ago

Anyone else buying senior notes?

#1585 4 years ago

Will close out my VXX call spread today. Looks like another bad day. Instead betting against the VIX, finally joined the crowd and it paid off nicely.

Thoughts on Ford. Dividend yield of 9.1% today. Chance they cut their dividend in the future? Thanks.

#1586 4 years ago

Odd days down ~1,000 / Even days up ~1,000

It's March 6th, which is Even, so it should close up today?

#1587 4 years ago

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/coronavirus-cure-for-stocks-not-yet-found-dont-rule-out-50-of-the-market-being-wiped-out-155725587.html

Interesting perspective in that if the market drops to about 50% it would only take the market back to where it was not too many years ago.
For example, in 2013 the DOW hit the record high around 14800 which is about 50% below the high of approximately 29551 on Feb 12, 2020.

#1588 4 years ago

Best stocks i ever bought were purchased at the end of 2008 - beginning of 2009 when the market was in complete panic
I ought quality companies with 4-6% dividend payments
Collected the dividends while i waited for the market to work out
Most of those stocks ended up being 300% gains

this week feels very similar to 08/09

#1589 4 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Best stocks i ever bought were purchased at the end of 2008 - beginning of 2009 when the market was in complete panic

The feel is similar, but the underlying factors are obviously very different. I like what Larry Kudlow said earlier this AM when speaking with Stuart Varney.

I do think this is a great time to jump in and probably a better time than 2008 due to the strong economic numbers.

#1590 4 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

You thumb me down for posting facts? All I did was put some perspective into what a huge drop would mean in relation to the last ten years.
Are you scared or being defensive?

#1591 4 years ago

It was a good comeback in the last hour before the markets closed for the weekend.

#1592 4 years ago

Price of Oil - WOW!

#1593 4 years ago
Quoted from MotorCityMatt:

Price of Oil - WOW!

holy carp! At first glance I thought I misread the decimal place, but yeah 10% plunge!

OIL
-4.62 (-10.07%)
15:59 PM, MAR 06

#1594 4 years ago
Quoted from okayestpinballer:

Odd days down ~1,000 / Even days up ~1,000
It's March 6th, which is Even, so it should close up today?

Maybe but I don't think it's near the bottom yet. Just going to bounce a while depending on the news cycle. Anyone take a position in Tesla before November?

#1595 4 years ago

You’ve got to be buying oil.

#1596 4 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

I did today. USO & COP

#1597 4 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

I don't feel like we're at the bottom yet for it. Too many people blowing off the issue. I could see it going down to $30 with the lack of travel that's going to be occurring here, if you have 10's of millions no longer commuting for a month or two, then that's going to completely destroy demand.

#1598 4 years ago

OPEC needs some more production cuts.

#1599 4 years ago

The futures are taking a beating today.

#1600 4 years ago
Quoted from finman2000:

I did today. USO & COP

DOH!! I bought one day too early. Oil prices down 30% pre market.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.95
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 18.95
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 21,015 posts in this topic. You are on page 32 of 421.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stock-market-traders/page/32?hl=pinballjah and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.