IMG_7948 (resized).jpeg
kuiil-have-spoken.gif
200w.gif
gold24 (resized).jpg
counting_coins_02.gif
IMG_1659 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 21,000 posts in this topic. You are on page 314 of 420.
#15651 2 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

The market got spooked today because of the omicron news, it's spreading fast. Nevertheless, if you got cash I think these levels are buying opportunities for some of the high quality tech names.

Kinda sucks since I did all my buying yesterday.

#15652 2 years ago

Whatever comes from it, Omicron will sweep through fast ans be done faster than the other waves. I'm holding and buying on the coming dip.

#15653 2 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Kinda sucks since I did all my buying yesterday.

You got in at a good price, regardless. In Jan all of these names will be back where they were 2 weeks ago.

I'm betting on alphabet having a great first qtr come Jan.

#15654 2 years ago

This is the time of year when lots of portfolio withdrawals are made to buy spouses, girlfriends, kids, and even spouses AND girlfriends $50-150K cars. This drives the market down....

#15655 2 years ago

Also end of the year taxes, I sold out of some losers like BABA to take the tax loss and lower my taxes. I can buy back in 31 days. This is just one example but I’m sure some of that is going on.

#15656 2 years ago

Ptpi

Crtx

Buy me a case of beer when you make 10x your investment.

#15657 2 years ago

Good info from a market heavyweight

#15658 2 years ago

Unfortunately there is a change in the cards, at least for the short term...the omicron variant is causing some European countries to lockdown again. If more countries follow suit we may see additional measures here and that could rock the market in a bad way this next couple of months. This was unforeseen by me, all the news so far was about it being milder and less deadly, even if true, all we need is the perception of it being as bad as Delta and the market will react. Don't panic but use the up days to unwind a few things just to be safe.

#15659 2 years ago

Too late for me. The only way out is thru.

Thankfully I have a loong horizon.

#15660 2 years ago

Not quite end of year as yet, but I wanted to share my passive, don’t trade, never sell, and only slightly rebalance once a year strategy Rate of Return for those that are interested.

Looking at one of the institutions where about 25% of our portfolio resides:

83% equity based funds
17% bond funds

Year to date return is 18.3%.

Level of effort was zero.

#15661 2 years ago

I got a message that my LCID stocks had been lent out again, and I'm getting 2% on that money. I'm holding on to it, but that is usually a bad sign for what its worth. Going to be funding my IRA for the year next week and picking up some new stocks. Just dumped a bunch into SPY and put money into VIGAX for the kids' college fund.

#15662 2 years ago
Quoted from investingdad:

Not quite end of year as yet, but I wanted to share my passive, don’t trade, never sell, and only slightly rebalance once a year strategy Rate of Return for those that are interested.
Looking at one of the institutions where about 25% of our portfolio resides:
83% equity based funds
17% bond funds
Year to date return is 18.3%.
Level of effort was zero.

Not bad! My funds are probably more aggressive, they ended up between 22.5%-23.5%. My self managed playing around account? 12.2%. This was the first year I reached beyond the index funds towards individual stocks and I clearly didn't do as well with that experiment, although I learned alot.

#15663 2 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Sataneatscheese’s 2021 market predictions and way forward: (Advice worth what you are paying for it).
I am of the opinion that the stock market is going to go up… and up… and up… for all of 2021. I believe that the value of those stocks will rise, and that inflationary pressures will start to rear its head. In other words, the only way not to lose money is to have it in the market, which will cause a cycle where the market continues to collapse upwards. I have transferred all of my available cash into the market minus the 6 month emergency fund, and have passed on refinancing the house for now (already at 2.625 but 1.875 is tempting).
I have the following investment strategy for 2021:
401k: Continue slow and steady dump into sensible mutual funds. Drop money into aggressive growth and growth funds based off of returns and investments available.
Taxable Brokerage: Since profits are taxed and I don’t want to day trade here: I have split my investments into three equal parts for 2021: ICLN, ARKK, and ARKG.
ICLN:34.03 Clean energy fund ETF. Predicting moves from new administration favorable to this.
ARKK:141.85 ARK disruptive technology ETF.
ARKG:104.79 ARK disruptive genomic research ETF.
Tax advantaged accounts where I can day trade:
PINS:72.30 Bulk is currently in Pinterest (PINS). I not only like the stock because of its ticker, but because it has managed to be the only social media giant not to step on toes with politics this year. Both sides are mad at Twitter and Facebook right now, and Pinterest has been growing steadily this year and is starting to break into markets overseas. Additionally, I see more and more small shops popping up there and more customized Ecommerce from home. Expecting a big jump the day after the earnings report in February and will adjust from there.
DNMR:26.75 Bought in at the NSYE IPO at $27 after Christmas and immediately lost my butt, but it has been clawing back the past few days. Currently at $26.50 in pre market. So long as it continues to climb every day I will hold onto it. Will likely dump in favor of next stock of the month. Clean plastics company.
Huge bubbles that I think may be good for a short run but I’m scared of. Once again, I’m not against these and think they will make money this week… but are a ticking time bomb.
1. TSLA:853 I had family make millions off of TSLA this year after losing millions on TSLA this year. As I am writing this TSLA is currently at $850 making Musk the richest man on the planet. I see it continuing to rise until TSLA misses a target, and then falling sharply.
Stocks I’m eying but don’t own and their current prices:
CRWD:222.50. Crowdstrike Cybersecurity firm. These are the guys that checked the DNC server in the 2016 election scandal. I have my suspicion that this is a government intelligence backed firm that is rock solid safe but that is bridging into the realm of unsubstantiated conspiracy theory. They haven’t done TSLA numbers but are up 400% this year. I will probably shift my DNMR investment here once it stops daily gains.
ICE: Whatever ICEMAN suggests I’ll have to look into!
Other general predictions: I think there are a lot of people that made huge best and gambles on the market as it was crashing in February and March 2020 and are holding onto stock until it hits the 1 year mark, and will be ready to dump it after 1 year to avoid the capital gains tax. I know people who have dumped tons of money into REITS that further retreated and plan on doing just that. So… look at the stocks that fell the most in February/March 2020 that still have not recovered to have another dip in February/March 2021, specifically Feberuary 23rd to March 23rd. This would be a good time to short some things, but I'm going to stick to buying stocks for now.

Looking back at my 2021 market predictions, holy crap was I wrong on every single count and don’t ever take investing advice from me!
I ignored my own advice and refinanced my house at 1.75% (only smart thing I did).
I stayed the course on my 401k investment strategy (that paid off).
I bailed early on my ICLN, ARKK, and ARKG investments in favor of CCIV/LUCID and I’m glad I did (still slowly unwinding that at a profit). At the time of the original posting 1 year ago ICLN was at 34.03… it is now at $21. ARKK was at 141.85, it is now at 93.31. ARKG was at 104.79, it is now at 59.88. I still have a little of of the kids money in that, but I’m not touching it for 10 years so am fine with it.
On my individual stocks, PINS was at 72.30 and is now at 35.99 (I bailed early on that for a nice profit). DNMR was at 26.75 and is now at $8.24. The only stock I recommended against was at $853 and is now at $1083 (I’m holding a bit of that still).
My winners for the year have been CCIV/LCID. I am slowly unwinding those into less risky plays.

My (don’t ever listen to me) recommendations for the year are SPY, QQQ, VIGAX, and/or their component holdings.

Overall I am up about 7% for the year. If I had just dumped my money into the S&P I'd be up something like 30%. My last big dump into the market went into SPY. Depending on how things go this year I may just go that way going forward.

#15664 2 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Looking back at my 2021 market predictions, holy crap was I wrong on every single count and don’t ever take investing advice from me!
I ignored my own advice and refinanced my house at 1.75% (only smart thing I did).
I stayed the course on my 401k investment strategy (that paid off).
I bailed early on my ICLN, ARKK, and ARKG investments in favor of CCIV/LUCID and I’m glad I did (still slowly unwinding that at a profit). At the time of the original posting 1 year ago ICLN was at 34.03… it is now at $21. ARKK was at 141.85, it is now at 93.31. ARKG was at 104.79, it is now at 59.88. I still have a little of of the kids money in that, but I’m not touching it for 10 years so am fine with it.
On my individual stocks, PINS was at 72.30 and is now at 35.99 (I bailed early on that for a nice profit). DNMR was at 26.75 and is now at $8.24. The only stock I recommended against was at $853 and is now at $1083 (I’m holding a bit of that still).
My winners for the year have been CCIV/LCID. I am slowly unwinding those into less risky plays.
My (don’t ever listen to me) recommendations for the year are SPY, QQQ, VIGAX, and/or their component holdings.
Overall I am up about 7% for the year. If I had just dumped my money into the S&P I'd be up something like 30%. My last big dump into the market went into SPY. Depending on how things go this year I may just go that way going forward.

We also refinanced early in 2021 when it looked like rates could be at a bottom.

We went from 20 years left on a 30 year into a brand new 15 year. The rate is 1 7/8 and the payment increased about $20 a month. We eliminated 60 monthly payments and net savings will be north of $50 grand.

#15665 2 years ago

For mortgages, you might talk to your bank to see if they have a loan modification program. I was in the process of refinancing twice in the past year and as we got to the finish line both times they offered to adjust my rate downwards both times for free without resetting my loan period. Both times it was 1/8 above the refinance rate. But, this took me down from 3.25 to 2.5 on jumbo money. Caveats: my loans and my investments are with the same bank, it is a 7 figure property that was purchased undervalued and has appreciated 80% in 4 years, and I have a long standing history with this outfit. Never hurts to ask.

Investing for me this year was a mixed bag. I had a rate of return in the mid 20’s but mistimed a bunch of things. Some things I sold way too early (GME, AMC), some things too late (UWMC). Bought some things too early (fintech this fall/winter) and have some projects that I am just waiting to turn around (SABR and DKNG). I had tons of winners, but candidly the mistiming has weighed on my mind. As I go into the new year we are restructuring and rebalancing my various baskets and letting my money folks handle those. Just not going to have the time to watch things like I have the past 2 years.

The most exciting thing is that my lottery ticket hit and my company IPOed. Rang the register to take care of college and a few things so that was cool. Still have tons of equity so we will see where all of this goes. This was not factored into my rate of return, but when you look at the rate of return it is significant.

Best of luck to everybody in the new year.

#15666 2 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

The most exciting thing is that my lottery ticket hit and my company IPOed. Rang the register to take care of college and a few things so that was cool. Still have tons of equity so we will see where all of this goes.

That’s fun. As someone who has traded ipo’s since 2008. Your company hit a great sweet spot to go public. Care to share the ticker? I’m curious if I made money off of your company going public as well.

#15667 2 years ago
Quoted from JRBBRJ:

That’s fun. As someone who has traded ipo’s since 2008. Your company hit a great sweet spot to go public. Care to share the ticker? I’m curious if I made money off of your company going public as well.

Got to keep that one to myself. Will say it is a tech unicorn.

You are absolutely correct in that they timed the market just about perfectly. This is my second IPO and watching what is involved to take a company public is incredibly interesting. Hoping to be able to do it again.

#15668 2 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Got to keep that one to myself. Will say it is a tech unicorn.
You are absolutely correct in that they timed the market just about perfectly. This is my second IPO and watching what is involved to take a company public is incredibly interesting. Hoping to be able to do it again.

Lol. Awesome. I get it. Glad it worked out.

#15669 2 years ago

Another great year S n P up 27% on the year , my mostly passive account up 34% . Just crazy how the market has such momentum we all know it wont last forever . Hard part will be knowing when to cash in the chips .

#15670 2 years ago
Quoted from plowpusher:

Another great year S n P up 27% on the year , my mostly passive account up 34% . Just crazy how the market has such momentum we all know it wont last forever . Hard part will be knowing when to cash in the chips .

Happy 2022 y'all! You know... since the Millennial generation is so much larger than Gen X, it could bring a rising tide of investment inflows which lifts all of our boats...

...as long as we haven't melted the atmosphere by then. :/

#15671 2 years ago
Quoted from plowpusher:

Just crazy how the market has such momentum we all know it wont last forever . Hard part will be knowing when to cash in the chips .

And then where do you put the cashed in chips? Also a challenging decision… Gold, real estate, some other type of asset?

#15672 2 years ago

Thats the million dollar question.Watching that movie Nobody on Apple Tv . Better call Sohl actor guy had a big stack of Gold bars in a coin box of a Pinball Machine . Maybe he's got it figured out

#15673 2 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:Happy 2022 y'all! You know... since the Millennial generation is so much larger than Gen X, it could bring a rising tide of investment inflows which lifts all of our boats...
...as long as we haven't melted the atmosphere by then. :/

Quoted from TigerLaw:

And then where do you put the cashed in chips? Also a challenging decision… Gold, real estate, some other type of asset?

These........times have changed drastically. No more decent paying interest rates for savings accounts and safe non volatile places for your money. How else do you build wealth now if you aren't putting it to work in the market?

The bigger the human population, the more money is going to flow in the market.

With ever changing outlooks by people and how long they want to work/retire early, I think we keep seeing higher and higher savings and investing rates.

#15674 2 years ago

Despite a very rough last month or so, I ended up ~28%. That sounds awesome until you figure I was up almost 42% in Oct, but up any is better than lower.
My worst mistake was selling F the day before they announced bringing the div back. The things I put it in were mostly miss at this time.

No idea what I'm going to do in 2022.

#15675 2 years ago

Every play I made based on this thread was a total dud and every play I made on my own paid off big. I’m up about 22%.

#15676 2 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Every play I made based on this thread was a total dud and every play I made on my own paid off big. I’m up about 22%.

you should hit up discord, already made $300k from their advise. Made a ton on Upstart!

#15677 2 years ago
Quoted from Lamberger:

you should hit up discord, already made $300k from their advise. Made a ton on Upstart!

How does one "hit up discord"?

#15678 2 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

invite from dblm. no rules there too, can talk about whatever you want to without your head getting bitten off or moderated. hassle free and laid back.

#15679 2 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

On this end, from cues I picked up here, I'm still in the green, although the last months have been rough.
SNOW - +32.81%
BROS - -3.63%
DVN - + 7.97%
LCID - +3.31%

#15680 2 years ago

From Marketwatch today, predictions for this year:

Byron Wien, the vice chairman of private-equity giant Blackstone, has been making his list of ten surprises for 37 years. Previously the chief U.S. investment strategist at Morgan Stanley, Wien has been with Blackstone since 2009. These days Wien makes his “surprise” predictions with Joe Zidle, chief investment strategist in Blackstone’s private wealth solutions. Surprise is defined here as an event with a better than 50% likelihood of happening but that an average investor would assign a one in three possibility. Here’s their 2022 list:

-“The combination of strong earnings clashes with rising interest rates, resulting in the S&P 500 making no progress in 2022. Value outperforms growth. High volatility continues and there is a correction that approaches, but does not exceed, 20%.

-While the prices of some commodities decline, wages and rents continue to rise and the Consumer Price Index and other widely followed measures of inflation increase by 4.5% for the year. Declines in prices of transportation and energy encourage the die-hard proponents of the view that inflation is “transitory,” but persistent inflation becomes the dominant theme.

-The bond market begins to respond to rising inflation and tapering by the Federal Reserve, and the yield on the 10-year Treasury rises to 2.75%. The Fed completes its tapering and raises rates four times in 2022.

-In spite of the Omicron variant, group meetings and convention gatherings return to pre-pandemic levels by the end of the year. While Covid remains a problem throughout both the developed and the less-developed world, normal conditions are largely restored in the US. People spend three to four a days a week in offices and return to theaters, concerts, and sports arenas en masse.

-Chinese policymakers respond to recent turmoil in the country’s property markets by curbing speculative investment in housing. As a result, there is more capital from Chinese households that needs to be invested. A major asset management industry begins to flourish in China, creating opportunities for Western companies.

-The price of gold rallies by 20% to a new record high. Despite strong growth in the US, investors seek the perceived safety and inflation hedge of gold amidst rising prices and volatility. Gold reclaims its title as a haven for newly minted billionaires, even as cryptocurrencies continue to gain market share.

-While the major oil-producing countries conclude that high oil prices are speeding up the implementation of alternative energy programs and allowing US shale producers to become profitable again, these countries can’t increase production enough to meet demand. The price of West Texas crude confounds forward curves and analyst forecasts when it rises above $100 per barrel.

-Suddenly, the nuclear alternative for power generation enters the arena. Enough safety measures have been developed to reduce fears about its dangers, and the viability of nuclear power is widely acknowledged. A major nuclear site is approved for development in the Midwest of the United States. Fusion technology emerges as a possible future source of energy.

-ESG evolves beyond corporate policy statements. Government agencies develop and enforce new regulatory standards that require public companies in the US to publish information documenting progress on various metrics deemed critical in the new era. Federal Reserve governors spearhead implementation of stress tests to assess financial institutions’ vulnerability to climate change scenarios.

-In a setback to its green energy program, the United States finds it cannot buy enough lithium batteries to power the electric vehicles planned for production. China controls the lithium market, as well as the markets for the cobalt and nickel used in making the transmission rods, and it opts to reserve most of the supply of these commodities for domestic use.”

#15681 2 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

From Marketwatch today, predictions for this year:
Byron Wien, the vice chairman of private-equity giant Blackstone, has been making his list of ten surprises for 37 years. Previously the chief U.S. investment strategist at Morgan Stanley, Wien has been with Blackstone since 2009. These days Wien makes his “surprise” predictions with Joe Zidle, chief investment strategist in Blackstone’s private wealth solutions. Surprise is defined here as an event with a better than 50% likelihood of happening but that an average investor would assign a one in three possibility. Here’s their 2022 list:
-“The combination of strong earnings clashes with rising interest rates, resulting in the S&P 500 making no progress in 2022. Value outperforms growth. High volatility continues and there is a correction that approaches, but does not exceed, 20%.
-While the prices of some commodities decline, wages and rents continue to rise and the Consumer Price Index and other widely followed measures of inflation increase by 4.5% for the year. Declines in prices of transportation and energy encourage the die-hard proponents of the view that inflation is “transitory,” but persistent inflation becomes the dominant theme.
-The bond market begins to respond to rising inflation and tapering by the Federal Reserve, and the yield on the 10-year Treasury rises to 2.75%. The Fed completes its tapering and raises rates four times in 2022.
-In spite of the Omicron variant, group meetings and convention gatherings return to pre-pandemic levels by the end of the year. While Covid remains a problem throughout both the developed and the less-developed world, normal conditions are largely restored in the US. People spend three to four a days a week in offices and return to theaters, concerts, and sports arenas en masse.
-Chinese policymakers respond to recent turmoil in the country’s property markets by curbing speculative investment in housing. As a result, there is more capital from Chinese households that needs to be invested. A major asset management industry begins to flourish in China, creating opportunities for Western companies.
-The price of gold rallies by 20% to a new record high. Despite strong growth in the US, investors seek the perceived safety and inflation hedge of gold amidst rising prices and volatility. Gold reclaims its title as a haven for newly minted billionaires, even as cryptocurrencies continue to gain market share.
-While the major oil-producing countries conclude that high oil prices are speeding up the implementation of alternative energy programs and allowing US shale producers to become profitable again, these countries can’t increase production enough to meet demand. The price of West Texas crude confounds forward curves and analyst forecasts when it rises above $100 per barrel.
-Suddenly, the nuclear alternative for power generation enters the arena. Enough safety measures have been developed to reduce fears about its dangers, and the viability of nuclear power is widely acknowledged. A major nuclear site is approved for development in the Midwest of the United States. Fusion technology emerges as a possible future source of energy.
-ESG evolves beyond corporate policy statements. Government agencies develop and enforce new regulatory standards that require public companies in the US to publish information documenting progress on various metrics deemed critical in the new era. Federal Reserve governors spearhead implementation of stress tests to assess financial institutions’ vulnerability to climate change scenarios.
-In a setback to its green energy program, the United States finds it cannot buy enough lithium batteries to power the electric vehicles planned for production. China controls the lithium market, as well as the markets for the cobalt and nickel used in making the transmission rods, and it opts to reserve most of the supply of these commodities for domestic use.”

So, a course of action one could take if they were to believe in a > 50% likelihood of these things happening would be, for example, to reduce their stock market footprint and invest in real-estate for rental, gold and Texas oil?

#15682 2 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

So, a course of action one could take if they were to believe in a > 50% likelihood of these things happening would be, for example, to reduce their stock market footprint and invest in real-estate for rental, gold and Texas oil?

NASDAQ and tech in general will be weak in 2022, FAAMG stocks as always will be the safe harbor in tech. Energy will be strong due to inflation and demand. Industrials and companies that make things and profit will be ok and may even rise. REITs will do well in inflationary environment too. A lot of smart money is betting on healthcare, financials and industrials. I think you'll see a lot of see-saw action in the market till June, then when Powell hikes rates we will see a nice haircut initially...if inflation responds then you'll see a rise in the market, if it persists, more haircuts to follow. Try to keep your money in SP500 ETFs, stock picking is going to be a lot harder this year. My diversification has been dangerously narrowed because of this...I'm taking some weight off of my portfolio hoping for the VIX to shoot up and use that money for some well timed trades.

Quoted from PhilGreg:

Always ask for proof before you follow someone into a trade. Ask for clarification or a thesis about the trade or particular co being recommended. People lost money here because they don't do any due diligence....PINS is 32 bucks now, and it will go below 30 soon.

#15683 2 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

NASDAQ and tech in general will be weak in 2022, FAAMG stocks as always will be the safe harbor in tech. Energy will be strong due to inflation and demand. Industrials and companies that make thigs will be ok and may even rise. REITs will do well in inflationary environment too. A lot of smart money is betting on healthcare, financials and industrials. I think you'll see a lot of see-saw action in the market till June, then when Powell hikes rates we will see a nice haircut initially...if inflation responds then you'll rise in the market, if it persists, more haircuts. Try to keep your money in SP500 ETFs, stock picking is going to be a lot harder this year. My diversification has been dangerously narrowed because of this...I'm taking some weight off of my portfolio hoping for the VIX to shoot up and use that money for some well timed trades.

Nice! Thank you for the analysis.
What's VIX? This?

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/quote/VIXY?p=VIXY&.tsrc=fin-srch

#15684 2 years ago

No that's an ETF tied to VIX, VIX is just a CBOE volatility index (fear index)...it measures the price action, it comes from option prices. It gauges how fast the price of options changes, normally associated with selling ....buying is rarely fearful. Try and stay in ETFs or mutual funds, just allocate a small portion of your investments for stocks and trading. This way it's less aggravating and stressful.

#15685 2 years ago

Negating carbon is now an extremely critical priority. Natural gas isn't an ideal solution toward that end, but at least it will provide a bridge to sustainable fuel in the future and is far less damaging than coal or oil by every measure.

To that end I am adding dividend-producing companies which transfer, compress, trade, and store natural gas. Other countries will be importing increasing quantities of liquid compressed natural gas from us. Market will grow in the short and mid-term.

Added Kinder Morgan (KMI - 6.81% yield) and DCP Midstream (DCP - 5.53% yield)

As consumers we can buy electric cars, call our power companies to switch to a 100% green plan (have you done this yet?), convert to LED lights & efficient appliances, and opt for electric vs. gas/oil heating if there is a choice.

The recent PIMA podcast with none other than "the" John Doerr was intensely sobering, but also interesting from an investment standpoint... https://freakonomics.com/podcast/what-is-john-doerrs-plan-to-save-the-planet/

#15686 2 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

Negating carbon is now an extremely critical priority. Natural gas isn't an ideal solution toward that end, but at least it will provide a bridge to sustainable fuel in the future and is far less damaging than coal or oil by every measure.
To that end I am adding dividend-producing companies which transfer, compress, trade, and store natural gas. Other countries will be importing increasing quantities of liquid compressed natural gas from us. Market will grow in the short and mid-term.
Added Kinder Morgan (KMI - 6.81% yield) and DCP Midstream (DCP - 5.53% yield)
As consumers we can buy electric cars, call our power companies to switch to a 100% green plan (have you done this yet?), convert to LED lights & efficient appliances, and opt for electric vs. gas/oil heating if there is a choice.
The recent PIMA podcast with none other than "the" John Doerr was intensely sobering, but also interesting from an investment standpoint... https://freakonomics.com/podcast/what-is-john-doerrs-plan-to-save-the-planet/

Buy some lithium ETF, I just don't see the price of that commodity ever dropping with more and more EV manufacturers coming online, to me that would a better perhaps safer green play.

#15687 2 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Buy some lithium ETF, I just don't see the price of that commodity ever dropping with more and more EV manufacturers coming online, to me that would a better perhaps safer green play.

Thanks mon... will add some after the next batch of funds roll in.

#15688 2 years ago

I'm a fan of the DRIV etf, it's a mix of electronic vehicle manufacturers, Tesla, Toyota and Ford in particular, and the tech companies that support EVs in some way (Nvidia, Qualcomm, Microsoft, Apple, Alphabet). It's up 40% since I started buying it last December, although it slowed down over the past few months.

#15689 2 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

People lost money here because they don't do any due diligence....PINS is 32 bucks now, and it will go below 30 soon.

Be disciplined, keep buying and adding to your PINS portfolio.....

LLLLLLLLLLmfao!!!!

But "he" is away on a cruise right now; On the 1 1/2% he takes from those he manages......

#15690 2 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Be disciplined, keep buying and adding to your PINS portfolio.....
LLLLLLLLLLmfao!!!!
But "he" is away on a cruise right now; On the 1 1/2% he takes from those he manages......

Ya, I believe it was pumped here from $10? and up. And both Microsoft and Paypal tried to buy them for a lot higher than what it is now. But yes do your DD. I'm in till they get bought and hoping they don't get bought. If there are guys that want out of pins, get everyone and their mother to sign up. Stock should go up then and you can get out.
Most investors are going on the defensive, pins should be great a few years out.

#15691 2 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Always ask for proof before you follow someone into a trade. Ask for clarification or a thesis about the trade or particular co being recommended. People lost money here because they don't do any due diligence....PINS is 32 bucks now, and it will go below 30 soon.

Very true, including your own advice.

Microsoft tired to buy PINS last year for $51 billion which is about double the current share price.
I have bought and sold it a few times for a profit, I still think it's a long term buy and has good potential over the next couple of years
Most people in this thread seem to look for immediate returns, the stocks I have made the most on are ones I have owned for many years.
Let's see where the stock is in 12 months. (Disclosure: I do not currently own it, but it's on my watch list to buy back in)

#15692 2 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Very true, including your own advice.
Microsoft tired to buy PINS last year for $51 billion which is about double the current share price.
I have bought and sold it a few times for a profit, I still think it's a long term buy and has good potential over the next couple of years
Most people in this thread seem to look for immediate returns, the stocks I have made the most on are ones I have owned for many years.
Let's see where the stock is in 12 months. (Disclosure: I do not currently own it, but it's on my watch list to buy back in)

Yep, my recommendations should also be asked to be clarified (If I don't do it myself), even though I make mostly macro recommendation. The second part of your of reply will need a thesis to support it. Why do you think it's a good long term buy?

#15693 2 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

The price of gold rallies by 20% to a new record high. Despite strong growth in the US, investors seek the perceived safety and inflation hedge of gold amidst rising prices and volatility. Gold reclaims its title as a haven for newly minted billionaires, even as cryptocurrencies continue to gain market share.

I’m a precious metals fan and usually bullish on them but this is somewhat far fetched with interest rates rising. It would take a huge surge from outside the US and the dollar weakening in comparison to other currencies which won’t happen this year (even with our high inflation rates we are still viewed as a more stable currency and when interest rates move up gold will go down).

Quoted from nwpinball:

Suddenly, the nuclear alternative for power generation enters the arena. Enough safety measures have been developed to reduce fears about its dangers, and the viability of nuclear power is widely acknowledged. A major nuclear site is approved for development in the Midwest of the United States. Fusion technology emerges as a possible future source of energy.

This would be great for the country to see occur, I hope it is correct.

#15694 2 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Yep, my recommendations should also be asked to be clarified (If I don't do it myself), even though I make mostly macro recommendation. The second part of your of reply will need a thesis to support it. Why do you think it's a good long term buy?

450 million users and they have just started a push to monetize them
They earned $633 million in last reported quarter, an increase of 33%
Revenues per user has increased about 40% in the last 12 months but still well below rivals in the same space
Could still be a takeover candidate - Microsoft was willing to pay double current stock price last year

#15695 2 years ago

450 million users and they have just started a push to monetize them
They earned $633 million in last reported quarter, an increase of 33%
Revenues per user has increased about 40% in the last 12 months but still well below rivals in the same space
Could still be a takeover candidate - Microsoft was willing to pay double current stock price last year

Ok good, and here's the opposing view from yesterday:

Pinterest (PINS) shares tumbled 9% on Tuesday after Guggenheim downgraded the discovery platform's stock to Neutral from Buy over concerns of slowing user trends.

Data indicates "continued usage weakness and another quarter of below-consensus results," wrote Guggenheim analyst Michael Morris.

Morris cited data from Pinterest Ads Manager that indicated user declines for the second consecutive month. Globally aggregate audience fell to 218.1 million in December vs. 226.9 million in November and 229.3 million in October.

He went on to write, "we don’t see the platform’s use case as developing as rapidly as peers, creating risk that competitors improve their social commerce offerings more quickly than Pinterest capitalizes on its position."

Morris's research data shows user slowdowns for the second consecutive month and downloads also pointing to declines. Furthermore, the analyst highlights social media competitor SNAP (SNAP) is seeing persistent usage momentum into 2022.

#15696 2 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Ok good, and here's the opposing view from yesterday:
Pinterest (PINS) shares tumbled 9% on Tuesday after Guggenheim downgraded the discovery platform's stock to Neutral from Buy over concerns of slowing user trends.
Data indicates "continued usage weakness and another quarter of below-consensus results," wrote Guggenheim analyst Michael Morris.
Morris cited data from Pinterest Ads Manager that indicated user declines for the second consecutive month. Globally aggregate audience fell to 218.1 million in December vs. 226.9 million in November and 229.3 million in October.
He went on to write, "we don’t see the platform’s use case as developing as rapidly as peers, creating risk that competitors improve their social commerce offerings more quickly than Pinterest capitalizes on its position."
Morris's research data shows user slowdowns for the second consecutive month and downloads also pointing to declines. Furthermore, the analyst highlights social media competitor SNAP (SNAP) is seeing persistent usage momentum into 2022.

Exactly what makes it a longer term hold
Up 3% today

#15697 2 years ago

Exactly what makes it a longer term hold

Well, perhaps...it's your money and timeline. But it's always good to have all of the pros and cons listed so if some novice investor reads the thread they'll know what they may be facing.

#15698 2 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Well, perhaps...it's your money and timeline. But it's always good to have all of the pros and cons listed so if some novice investor reads the thread they'll know what they may be facing.

I would not recommend it for a "novice" investor, there are much better investments for newbies

#15699 2 years ago

I would not recommend it for a "novice" investor, there are much better investments for newbies

I wouldn't recommend it for a seasoned one

#15700 2 years ago

Quoted from kvan99:

I wouldn't recommend it for a seasoned one

If we are still talking PINS....
There are about 5000 other better stocks to invest in.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 12.95
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

There are 21,000 posts in this topic. You are on page 314 of 420.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stock-market-traders/page/314?hl=jrbbrj and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.