Image 4-6-24 at 11.42?AM (resized).jpeg
IMG_7948 (resized).jpeg
kuiil-have-spoken.gif
200w.gif
gold24 (resized).jpg
counting_coins_02.gif
IMG_1659 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 21,019 posts in this topic. You are on page 313 of 421.
#15601 2 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

Hey Kvan99, I'm going to be in Miami for 10 days starting Wednesday, what are the can't miss things I should do? And best pinball bar?

Oh, cool...I'm at Art Basel right now, I'll message you in a bit.

#15602 2 years ago

started a position on PENN this morning

#15603 2 years ago

LCID

#15604 2 years ago

Finally I see green in the portfolio....Actually everything I'm holding is up today, so all the stuff that was sold off to Omicron is back on

Inflation and interest rate hike sensitive stocks are not having a good day.,,I don't see a good outcome for them going forward, because rate hikes are guaranteed in the future, so this action on them will continue, if you need to be in tech buy QQQ or FAAMG till this thing shakes out, but even those names might come back down to earth in the new year.

#15605 2 years ago

Not a bad day so far.

#15606 2 years ago

Geez… already doubled my money on GRN and still on a tear. Where is it all headed?

Of course it could all evaporate in a milllisecond if emissions policies change course or some legal loophole-thing arises. Who knows. But can’t deny the general rebound today. Even poor old Zevia has been bouncing back… their PBC director just doubled their personal stake. Guess that is a decent vote of confidence.

#15607 2 years ago
#15608 2 years ago
#15609 2 years ago

JD is worth a look also, but I still think china stocks are risky

#15610 2 years ago
Quoted from ruralcollector:

Thanks for the encouragement BMore-Pinball ! I went to go buy @ MP and the stock must have dipped long enough around 180 for the call to be executed. I’m still relatively new to all do this stuff and I really appreciated this thread, minus the political junk

PYPL was a good buy @ 180

#15611 2 years ago

I'm not saying he's wrong but didn't Buffett win a bet that the S&P could beat several hedge funds

"Buffett's ultimately successful contention was that, including fees, costs and expenses, an S&P 500 index fund would outperform a hand-picked portfolio of hedge funds over 10 years. The bet pit two basic investing philosophies against each other: passive and active investing. "

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/investing/030916/buffetts-bet-hedge-funds-year-eight-brka-brkb.asp

I think Peter Lynch is being vague or picking a winner after it happens. Like I could say AAPL would beat the pants off of the S&P500 (it has) but that might not always be true.

I would like to see a true study that shows active funds beating index funds, not just a few active funds here and there becasue how can you pick the best active funds?

I don't guess Peter Lynch still runs Fidelity Magellan but here is the bio (Fidelity® Magellan® Fund is a diversified domestic equity strategy with a large-cap growth orientation and that seeks capital appreciation. The fund's mandate is highly flexible, giving us the ability to invest in domestic and foreign issuers across all market capitalizations and styles.), well S&P500 beat the pants off Magellan over the prior 5 years (108% return vs 70% return).

#15612 2 years ago

I think that bet was many years ago. I can’t speak for others, but my managed assets are beating the pants of the indexes right now. I must be with a good money guy.

#15613 2 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

I think that bet was many years ago. I can’t speak for others, but my managed assets are beating the pants of the indexes right now. I must be with a good money guy.

Correct, but you are looking at one year or a few years, we don't know what'll happen in the future. I mean unless there is proof that active beats passive (I have not seen any studies say so) it's just a random data point not a fact. Also what is the risk of an active fund like if they pick all Meme stocks or all Tesla of course they will look like they are beating an index fund.

Here is a retrospective study

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/more-evidence-that-passive-fund-management-beats-active-2019-09-12

Only 23% of all active funds topped the average of their passive rivals over the 10-year period ended June 2019.

#15614 2 years ago

and I would bet that may go back and forth depending on what 10 year period you are looking at and what stocks are held during those times. It's all about timing, even if you can't time it.

#15615 2 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Did you beat the QQQ last year “and” this year? Would have had to be 50% up last year and at 30% so far this year.

I beat it last year by 15% for my whole account, but this year? Short.

Tip of the cap to anyone who can get years in a row beating the Q. Spy is one thing but the Q is a bitch to beat, for me at least.

#15616 2 years ago

I find it amusing when some prognosticate about "Peak Oil" or the demise of the oil Market in general.
Big oil is the lifeblood of the Military/Industrial complex. When oil is up the equities Market is up, when it is down, likewise.
While Green initiatives are touted everywhere the World scrambles for more fossil fuels to heat their home, fuel their cars cheaply, produce fertilizer.
Demand for petroleum derivatives like Specialty Chemicals has never been higher. Despite an aversion to plastics all we can manage is a ban on drinking straws.
Energy stocks are King. Will remain King for the foreseeable future.

(Disclaimer. I am not anti-Green). I hate plastic waste, would like to see steam powered and Hydrogen Cell cars and more efficient solar. But anyone that thinks Big Oil is going quietly is in a pipe dream.)

#15617 2 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Did you beat the QQQ last year “and” this year? Would have had to be 50% up last year and at 30% so far this year.
I beat it last year by 15% for my whole account, but this year? Short.
Tip of the cap to anyone who can get years in a row beating the Q. Spy is one thing but the Q is a bitch to beat, for me at least.

Yes and so far. Year is still going so we shall see.

#15618 2 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Correct, but you are looking at one year or a few years, we don't know what'll happen in the future. I mean unless there is proof that active beats passive (I have not seen any studies say so) it's just a random data point not a fact. Also what is the risk of an active fund like if they pick all Meme stocks or all Tesla of course they will look like they are beating an index fund.
Here is a retrospective study
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/more-evidence-that-passive-fund-management-beats-active-2019-09-12
Only 23% of all active funds topped the average of their passive rivals over the 10-year period ended June 2019.

I am not looking at the future. Retrospectively, the last few years, my active investments are beating the benchmarks as well as my passive investments. That is all that matters.

#15619 2 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Yes and so far. Year is still going so we shall see.

Sweet!

#15620 2 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

I find it amusing when some prognosticate about "Peak Oil" or the demise of the oil Market in general.
Big oil is the lifeblood of the Military/Industrial complex. When oil is up the equities Market is up, when it is down, likewise.
While Green initiatives are touted everywhere the World scrambles for more fossil fuels to heat their home, fuel their cars cheaply, produce fertilizer.
Demand for petroleum derivatives like Specialty Chemicals has never been higher. Despite an aversion to plastics all we can manage is a ban on drinking straws.
Energy stocks are King. Will remain King for the foreseeable future.
(Disclaimer. I am not anti-Green). I hate plastic waste, would like to see steam powered and Hydrogen Cell cars and more efficient solar. But anyone that thinks Big Oil is going quietly is in a pipe dream.)

100%

#15621 2 years ago

Energy stocks are not a great long term investment, imo. Buy them when they are crushed by a pandemic or financial crisis and then get rid of them when they come back up.

EBA9C883-F604-4762-A12E-763B4C6F01E1 (resized).jpegEBA9C883-F604-4762-A12E-763B4C6F01E1 (resized).jpeg

#15622 2 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

Energy stocks are not a great long term investment, imo. Buy them when they are crushed by a pandemic or financial crisis and then get rid of them when they come back up.
[quoted image]

Yes! They used to be a safe dividend play but they're not growth stocks. I have Exxon and Schlumberger, energy is a good inflation play. Although I have reduced them by about 30% since last year, also both have been upgraded as of late so I'm waiting for a good earnings call to reduce further...they will shoot up as inflation persists.

#15623 2 years ago

Speaking of which, the Fed will most likely say something soon to rattle the market, because now that he's reelected he feels the heat to do something about the inflation issue, so look for more hawkish instead of his more dovish statements soon. This will affect Tech (FAAMG excluded) negatively but will be good for energy, financials, REITs and probably healthcare stocks.

#15624 2 years ago

Apple seems to be the only stock I'm holding immune to whatever is going on right now.

#15625 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

immune to whatever is going on right now.

With more covid lockdowns in the way, the shipping delays have not been solved, plus inflation and the fed, I decided to exit a few of my larger holdings, including MAC.

Two things to do before the new year: 1) review my individual stocks - are these companies making money? 2) Reduce my 401k contribution to pay off my newborn baby debt - medical bills are expensive.

Inflation is coming!

#15626 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Apple seems to be the only stock I'm holding immune to whatever is going on right now.

Microsoft is doing well also.

#15627 2 years ago
Quoted from Friengineer:

Inflation is coming!

It's been here all year, where have you been hiding?

#15628 2 years ago
Quoted from Friengineer:

With more covid lockdowns in the way, the shipping delays have not been solved, plus inflation and the fed, I decided to exit a few of my larger holdings, including MAC.
Two things to do before the new year: 1) review my individual stocks - are these companies making money? 2) Reduce my 401k contribution to pay off my newborn baby debt - medical bills are expensive.
Inflation is coming!

Just wait until you see the new price of diapers and formula.

#15629 2 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

It's been here all year, where have you been hiding?

I buy Stoopid crazy expensive organic food, toothpaste, deodorant, etc so I didn't really notice except gas prices which can be explained by the new government administration. Booze seems relatively cheap still. Also, I try to avoid cheap Chinese shit.

#15630 2 years ago

A friend of mine has been trading gold stocks for decades, many of them penny stocks. He’s done real well with them too. I’ve taken a stab at a few of them over the years and managed to make more than I lost.

Last Friday he learned that a stock he owns - his average purchase price is around $0.30 per share - has new owners and is buying everyone out for $23 a share. He owns 15,000 shares.

Nice and tidy $340k profit! Wow.

#15631 2 years ago
Quoted from Friengineer:

I didn't really notice except gas prices which can be explained by the new government administration.

Not sure this is true. He nixed a proposed pipeline, but has been issuing drilling permits at a pretty rapid pace, angering the environmental portion of his base.

https://news.yahoo.com/why-biden-is-approving-public-lands-oil-drilling-permits-faster-than-trump-did-and-angering-environmentalists-215140188.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAACxkRjtFwcyj5ZVawKltYNq-rZCg4BKPPHwsXxkitCfxTWF66rbMnM2q7rtpy64xjap51HJQPIw27wfC_sCKXaK7iV7LvJ2-GdQbsSQy_6sZuF6qQwV6v8MQiCWasyP8W0cjXSFyR1gugcjE4mTN5oq2VwiHdc_jLBGov7XgX7

Excerpt from link:

"Biden administration has issued more permits for oil and gas drilling on public land per month than the Trump administration did in its first three years, according to a new analysis of federal data."

#15632 2 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

Not sure this is true. He nixed a proposed pipeline, but has been issuing drilling permits at a pretty rapid pace, angering the environmental portion of his base.
Excerpt from link:
"Biden administration has issued more permits for oil and gas drilling on public land per month than the Trump administration did in its first three years, according to a new analysis of federal data."

And yet the price of gas has gone up more than $1.50 since he took office.

#15633 2 years ago
Quoted from Pin-Pilot:

Tell me you know little about gas prices without telling me you know little about gas prices...or even coherent of world surroundings. Some of you must have been on heavy drugs in 2020.

#15634 2 years ago
Quoted from Pin-Pilot:

Tough comp when you look at early/mid pandemic prices vs current boom time/4.2% unemployment. I would think pre-pandemic to be the better comp. Keeping in mind oil prices have other forces at work too and the jump is not just happening in the USA.

BBA5EEE9-7823-4291-A916-1882D2821D54 (resized).jpegBBA5EEE9-7823-4291-A916-1882D2821D54 (resized).jpeg

#15635 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Tell me you know little about gas prices without telling me you know little about gas prices...or even coherent of world surroundings. Some of you must have been on heavy drugs in 2020.

I buy drug stocks, sure. do well with them! thank you.

#15636 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

And that's the problem isn't it? Misunderstandings, as if the administration short term actions can move the needle in the energy market. Even if he issues permits, releases the strategic reserves it would amount to a temporary blip in the energy market. OPEC, geopolitics of the ME, inflation and even monetary policy have more impact than the president. This inflation is the result of Fed action...it's natural as it was foreseeable. These inflationary flares are the result of 6T of money being dumped in the economy...which by the way was started by the last guy, and rightfully so, it's proper action when the economy is dealt a shock....you inject stimulus to keep engine going till you come out the other side. Not a blame game for this guy or that...people need to learn how things work, it helps with the misunderstandings.

#15637 2 years ago

Thoughts on Nvidia dip?

#15638 2 years ago

Most of the market is dipping pretty badly.

#15639 2 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Thoughts on Nvidia dip?

I could be wrong but things are heading lower till we get some clarity on the Fed tapering and if they see inflation cooling. You can buy for a short term trade, but if you do buy for the longer term just buy in small blocks, maybe 1/4 and then see where things are and then buy another quarter...etc. Rumor is Powell is going to announce he's speeding up the tapering. That's why the sell off in tech...I'm sure we'll get a pop after they calm down and digest it, but that's just my opinion. I bought some DIS and MSFT

#15640 2 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

And that's the problem isn't it? Misunderstandings, as if the administration short term actions can move the needle in the energy market. Even if he issues permits, releases the strategic reserves it would amount to a temporary blip in the energy market. OPEC, geopolitics of the ME, inflation and even monetary policy have more impact than the president. This inflation is the result of Fed action...it's natural as it was foreseeable. These inflationary flares are the result of 6T of money being dumped in the economy...which by the way was started by the last guy, and rightfully so, it's proper action when the economy is dealt a shock....you inject stimulus to keep engine going till you come out the other side. Not a blame game for this guy or that...people need to learn how things work, it helps with the misunderstandings.

Thanks Kvan. Your general short posts are pretty good considering the complex issues they go over.

To share I like Analyst and former Engineer Lyn Alden’s articles. She is a highly followed author on Seeking Alpha and explains “how we got to where we are now” on many topics in a non narrative, unbiased, facts based way. Here is her recent article on oil.

https://www.lynalden.com/december-2021-newsletter/

To add to your list of reasons gas is higher she mentions oil diggers are no longer borrowing like drunken sailors to dig more. Now they tend to now avoid debt and use profits to expand and are also buying back shares instead.

Since everyone talks about “the Fed”. She also has a very good article on the history of the Fed and why the US is where it is at today and possible challenges ahead. In general it is not just “the Fed”, but she says most people just say the reasons for everything that happens economically are as an easy way of explaining. I found it an interesting long nerdy read.

https://www.lynalden.com/qe-and-inequality/

Not pushing anything and all FYI. Take care

#15641 2 years ago

Thanks Kvan. Your general short posts are pretty good considering the complex issues they go over.
To share I like Analyst and former Engineer Lyn Alden’s articles. She is a highly followed author on Seeking Aloha and explains “how we got to where we are now” on many topics in a non narrative, unbiased, facts based way. Here is her recent article on oil.
To add to your list of reasons gas is higher she mentions oil diggers are no longer borrowing like drunken sailors to dig more. Now they tend to now avoid debt and use profits to expand and are also buying back shares instead.
Since everyone talks about “the Fed”. She also has a very good article on the history of the Fed and why the US is where it is at today and possible challenges ahead. In general it is not just “the Fed”, but she says most people just say the reasons for everything that happens economically are as an easy way of explaining. I found it an interesting long nerdy read.

Wow, she knows what she's talking about, yes I agree with what you said, I also like her historical take about interest rates and overall market performance But I don't know, it's safer to be a little more of a skeptic for now. Past actions/performance have to be discounted because we are in somewhat extraordinary times, as long as we have the Covid variants, threat of stagflation, Russia's action in Ukraine, China's actions in regards to Taiwan looming on the horizon you have to take risks in small doses. Thanks for the post I saved her blog....I'll check in on her in the future.

#15642 2 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

I could be wrong but things are heading lower till we get some clarity on the Fed tapering and if they see inflation cooling. You can buy for a short term trade, but if you do buy for the longer term just buy in small blocks, maybe 1/4 and then see where things are and then buy another quarter...etc. Rumor is Powell is going to announce he's speeding up the tapering. That's why the sell off in tech...I'm sure we'll get a pop after they calm down and digest it, but that's just my opinion. I bought some DIS and MSFT

I'm with you, kvan99! I've been getting some APPL and MSFT on the days when they get hit hard. Just for the short term to ride for the bounce back up. I got some MSFT today, too.

#15643 2 years ago
Quoted from Enaud:

I'm with you, kvan99! I've been getting some APPL and MSFT on the days when they get hit hard. Just for the short term to ride for the bounce back up. I got some MSFT today, too.

Nasdaq is taking a double hit, one for the interest rate the other for end of year tax loss sales. I think if you don't have any high multiple ARKK stuff you'll come out with little damage. Obviously, energy, healthcare, financials and industrials are where the value is now. If anyone thinks this economy or market is going to sink they're in for a rude awakening....as long as employment is at historic lows, money will be spent, money spent will float the market..now with that said there is a lot of froth, I don't think earnings next year will be as good as this year so the stockmarket might stall. Nucor, Boeing, BofA, Disney, Microsoft, Alphabet, will be ok I think either way.

#15644 2 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

energy, healthcare, financials and industrials

Got any specific stocks worth doing a little research on?

#15645 2 years ago
Quoted from Friengineer:

Got any specific stocks worth doing a little research on?

Look at the end of the last post...I listed what the solid bets are going forward. But use caution, there is still risk. Buy in small lots over weeks or months.

#15646 2 years ago

I know it is anecdotal but I am thinking about picking up some MAC with my next IRA funding. This was pushed heavily on this sub at the start of COVID. Wish I'd held on to mine since then. Anyways, this past week I've had family visiting from rural Texas that wanted to go visit the local shopping malls here in the DC metro area. Of all of the malls we visited, there was exactly 1 with 100% occupancy, and it was a Maerich property. Not gonna retire rich from it, but the dividend on it looks pretty good and the price isn't back to the moon on it yet.

#15647 2 years ago

To share I like Analyst and former Engineer Lyn Alden’s articles. She is a highly followed author on Seeking Alpha and explains “how we got to where we are now” on many topics in a non narrative, unbiased, facts based way. Here is her recent article on oil.

Lyn is one of my favorite people to read. Her articles are approachable and easily understood

#15648 2 years ago
Quoted from edward472:

Lyn is one of my favorite people to read. Her articles are approachable and easily understood

Cool. I am glad other people here like her. I always walk away with a better understanding of each topic.

#15650 2 years ago

The market got spooked today because of the omicron news, it's spreading fast. Nevertheless, if you got cash I think these levels are buying opportunities for some of the high quality tech names.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.95
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 18.95
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 21,019 posts in this topic. You are on page 313 of 421.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stock-market-traders/page/313 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.