IMG_7948 (resized).jpeg
kuiil-have-spoken.gif
200w.gif
gold24 (resized).jpg
counting_coins_02.gif
IMG_1659 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 20,997 posts in this topic. You are on page 31 of 420.
#1501 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Market seems to react negatively to any bad news.

For the past few months stonks have been going up on bad news. Saw that LA port is expecting a 25% decrease in cargo ships this week, which is sizeable.

#1502 4 years ago

An interesting perspective, at least to me is that, I was completely unaware of the 2008 crash until many years later, it simply did not impact me in any way and I don't tend to watch the news back then. At that time in my life I was doing better than any other time in my life, and it's only been up from there. Being completely unaware I wasn't worried about anything.

The big difference then to now is I didn't have anything in the market (other than some 401k). Today, I'm still at the top of my life game, but with more consideration to retirement years and a lot more 401k and additional market play, I'm watching this much more and I simply don't know exactly how to respond to it - or when to decide the 'issue' is over.

#1503 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

An interesting perspective, at least to me is that, I was completely unaware of the 2008 crash until many years later, it simply did not impact me in any way and I don't tend to watch the news back then. At that time in my life I was doing better than any other time in my life, and it's only been up from there. Being completely unaware I wasn't worried about anything.
The big difference then to now is I didn't have anything in the market (other than some 401k). Today, I'm still at the top of my life game, but with more consideration to retirement years and a lot more 401k and additional market play, I'm watching this much more and I simply don't know exactly how to respond to it - or when to decide the 'issue' is over.

I rarely post in this type of thread and should probably refrain here as well, but -

I’ve had the same two advisors/brokers for the last 33 years. We have certainly had some dogs, but overall it’s been a healthy run. On their recommendations, this past Friday we made a few individual stock purchases from the tech and energy sectors. Based upon unemployment, the bond market, rates and what is known/unknown about the virus, they told me it was a good time to buy and that we should realize positive results by September which is very short term in my world. And reading Tim Cook’s comments didn’t hurt.

I remember 2008 very well. After overcoming a bit of numbness, I used it as a tremendous buying opportunity which, fortunately, paid off. I’m probably a bit aggressive, but I knew I hired a couple of very smart people with a track record of generating wealth. I listen to their advice and make my own decision. I don’t know your age, but if I was a younger man I would be very aggressive right now.

Good luck and I hope you do exceedingly well.

#1504 4 years ago

US Stock futures down around 1% right now (Sunday 8 PM):

https://www.cnbc.com/pre-markets/

#1505 4 years ago

Can some one explain how “after hours” trading works ?
The market is closed but the prices are moving ?
Thanks y’all

#1506 4 years ago

I wish I understood it better as well.

I do kind of have a small gut feeling the US markets will be up in the morning trading hours tomorrow, but that same gut tells me nothing about what could come tomorrow afternoon.

#1507 4 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I wish I understood it better as well.
I do kind of have a small gut feeling the US markets will be up in the morning trading hours tomorrow, but that same gut tells me nothing about what could come tomorrow afternoon.

How many states suddenly have the ability to test for Coronavirus effective this weekend?

#1508 4 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

US Stock futures down around 1% right now (Sunday 8 PM):
https://www.cnbc.com/pre-markets/

They're up now, and about 3-4% higher than Friday's low. They can move fast. We'll see where they are at the open tomorrow.

#1509 4 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

They're up now, and about 3-4% higher than Friday's low. They can move fast. We'll see where they are at the open tomorrow.

Dow now down 350 pre-market. Another crazy day.

#1510 4 years ago

interesting to see the Euro surging with GBP down.

Reports of Coronavirus now in Rhode Island and New York, might be another wild week ahead.

#1511 4 years ago

Well, normally I max out the IRA contributions for the year in December. However, after last week's wild ride I've decided to go ahead and max out the Roth this morning. I just threw it into another USAA mutual fund.

I can't buy/sell socks without treating it like gambling, so this mild effort to time the market is about as far as I can go. Time to root for stocks to go back up again!

Go Bull go!

#1512 4 years ago

Was going to be a buyer this AM but the market is way too frothy this AM. Will look at another day when things calm down a little.

#1513 4 years ago

Famous last words. Just took some half positions on AAPL, FB, and MA. Think they are more of a trade as opposed to long term. Anybody else taking positions?

#1514 4 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Famous last words. Just took some half positions on AAPL, FB, and MA. Think they are more of a trade as opposed to long term. Anybody else taking positions?

Considering, I have been taking positions consistently on big down days all last week, want to continue to do so. Evaluating some Berkshire Hath, the holdings are diversified. Also liking VGT as a Tech focus ETF

I have many positions in individual stocks but feel the best way to make investments during the slump is to diversify.

Commodities....Also bought corn and bean contracts this am on the open.

#1515 4 years ago

This is the first trading day of the month, so I bought the usual (for us) monthly amount.

#1516 4 years ago

It appears that Robinhood is experiencing system-wide outages as bagholders attempt to outsmart the trading bots and ride the dead cat bounce to new highs.

#1517 4 years ago

I've staying out at least through tomorrows election results.

#1518 4 years ago

Crazy to think that even now we could close up 1000 points or down 1000 points.. This market is scary!

#1519 4 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Crazy to think that even now we could close up 1000 points or down 1000 points.. This market is scary!

The afternoon profit taking is already happening.

#1520 4 years ago

Up 1000 points it is.. ridiculous!

#1521 4 years ago

And, the Dow Jones has the biggest 1 day gain ever.

market (resized).pngmarket (resized).png
#1523 4 years ago

I held off buying...damn.

#1524 4 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

I held off buying...damn.

You will probably get another chance. This isn't over. I haven't found what was 'said' that drove the afternoon spike, but that's usually what happens. Someone somewhere said something. The entire market was selling when I posted, then it reversed and spiked fast. That doesn't happen in a vacuum.

#1525 4 years ago

Was hoping UVXY would be down more today. Nice to see XOM up finally.

#1526 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

You will probably get another chance. This isn't over. I haven't found what was 'said' that drove the afternoon spike, but that's usually what happens. Someone somewhere said something. The entire market was selling when I posted, then it reversed and spiked fast. That doesn't happen in a vacuum.

It was nothing said per se. G7 is meeting tomorrow and there is speculation that between them and the Fed that you could see monetary and/or fiscal stimulus. This sentiment picked up steam going into the close.

#1527 4 years ago

Proof how fickle the stock market really is Gamblers enter at own risk!

#1528 4 years ago

I bought ETfs on Friday. I am up about 6% now. I am thinking I am staying in for awhile this time.

#1529 4 years ago

That’s a fact! As a long term trader I trade what I know as fact. Example, if the market is down tomorrow 1000 points, I know I can buy at a 1000 point discount, that’s a fact. Will I do good with that over the next 2,3,5 years? My in-laws asked whom are about to retire asked me a couple months ago my thoughtS. I said exit 25% on each significant new high the market makes. That’s a profit guarantee, a fact. If market continues to rally, who cares. Yesterday I told them I would put 10%-15% back after they said they won’t need if for 3-5 years. Another fact, we are buying substantially lower only a week later, and we have time and risk tolerance.

I don’t plan to exit my purchases made on this slump anytime soon. I also am selling plenty of “puts” at Stock price levels I am willing to buy. Though I don’t think they will exercise, if they do.....I am very good with the level and owning the stocks there and wouldn’t mind the exercise....Either way, feel confident it will be profitable.

#1530 4 years ago

we need to talk percentages instead of points. 1000 points in a 28k market means way different than 1000 points in a 17k market!

I'm reminded of places that publish "sunshine lists" of people that make over 100k, but then never adjusted for inflation over 2 decades. *facepalm*

#1531 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

we need to talk percentages instead of points. 1000 points in a 28k market means way different than 1000 points in a 17k market!
I'm reminded of places that publish "sunshine lists" of people that make over 100k, but then never adjusted for inflation over 2 decades. *facepalm*

True, but a 5% gain in one day, on no news that I can find is still pretty big!

#1532 4 years ago
Quoted from investingdad:

This is the first trading day of the month, so I bought the usual (for us) monthly amount.

Quoted from ovfdfireman:

if the market is down tomorrow 1000 points, I know I can buy at a 1000 point discount

Buy the best companies & never sell! Well maybe when you die but even then, never sell!

#1533 4 years ago

True, but a 5% gain in one day, on no news that I can find is still pretty big!

I thought I heard that the fed said they wouldn't rule out cutting interest rates, or something equally reassuring and simultaneously non-committal.

#1534 4 years ago
Quoted from Friengineer:

Buy the best companies & never sell! Well maybe when you die but even then, never sell!

Wish I followed this advice 25 years ago.

#1535 4 years ago

Wondering if RobinHood will survive the Coronavirus? 2nd straight day of outages. So much for that $8 billion dollar valuation?!

#1536 4 years ago
Quoted from okayestpinballer:

Wondering if RobinHood will survive the Coronavirus? 2nd straight day of outages. So much for that $8 billion dollar valuation?!

Their story sounds like it is from the TV show Silicon Valley.

#1537 4 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

There story sounds like it is from the TV show Silicon Valley.

They should have used a middle-out algorithm.

#1538 4 years ago

I would imagine this means you can get a pretty good deal on AMZN:

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#1539 4 years ago

The Market is up!

It looks like we're rallying for a turn-around and things are finally on the mend.

Pesky Peter Schiff, doesn't seem to think so... BOOO PETER SCHIFF!

Man who predicted the 2008 financial crisis says coronavirus may mean his bets of stock-market carnage are finally beginning to crystallize

Stonks_Meme-1280x533 (resized).jpgStonks_Meme-1280x533 (resized).jpg
#1540 4 years ago

god I love STONKS memes

#1541 4 years ago

It's so hard to say, one analyst says we're fine, another says we haven't even begun to see the downside. I'm giving it some more time. I work too hard for my money to let someone elses emotions wipe it out in a minute.

#1542 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I work too hard for my money to let someone elses emotions wipe it out in a minute.

But then where is your money? In a saving account? That's like saying I work too hard for my money to grow so I'll leave it in my sock drawer. You only lose if you pick a terrible company and they go under or if you sell your stock. Review post #1515 & #1532

#1543 4 years ago
Quoted from Friengineer:

But then where is your money? In a saving account? That's like saying I work too hard for my money to grow so I'll leave it in my sock drawer. You only lose if you pick a terrible company and they go under or if you sell your stock. Review post #1515 & #1532

In a hole or 100 in the back yard.

#1544 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I work too hard for my money to let someone elses emotions wipe it out in a minute.

It's only wiped out if you sell at a loss. Why would you sell at a loss? If you thought Apple was good price at $300 why would you sell it at $260 (for example)?

If you buy an ETF or mutual fund say S&P500 or even a particular stock as long as it doesn't go bankrupt you own xxx number of shares in each company (maybe fraction shares but still some shares). If the market goes down 20% you don't own 20% less shares you still own everything you owned before the correction.

It's like say you own a house and the housing market goes down 20% what the heck it doesn't matter you still own the house and can still live in the house, rent it out etc.. it's not as if someone went into your wallet and removed money.

#1545 4 years ago

5% swings everyday, seems like a healthy market!

6084A737-FDF1-4BB1-A39B-AAF152D35ED4.gif6084A737-FDF1-4BB1-A39B-AAF152D35ED4.gif
#1546 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

It's so hard to say, one analyst says we're fine, another says we haven't even begun to see the downside. I'm giving it some more time. I work too hard for my money to let someone elses emotions wipe it out in a minute.

I’ve worked as hard as anyone for what I have. Unfortunately, you’re rarely going to see a consensus, but you really need to find an advisor or publication you believe in. I’m still with Dan Ives on Apple.

Over the past 7 days, I never thought I would see, what I perceive as, opportunities, but I’m in this for the next 5-10 years. Like Rai said, no matter what happens over the next few days, weeks, months, I now have more equity in the companies I like which is my priority at the moment.

#1547 4 years ago

I should clarify. I'm not making 'new' purchases. I cashed out the stuff I was way up on to take the profit, kept the stuff that was only so so up (or down for that matter) and paid divs. I've averaged down on some things over the last week. I'm not buying back into things I sold out of until this levels off. I didn't touch my 401k.

You are all making assumptions that the market is going to continue to go up past where it was before this. The problem is it was already way out there. Between this and the election coming up (which...honestly I don't think is going to change from what it is now) I am a bit resistant to throw everything in near the top. Maybe not the best idea, but I'm risk adverse.

Also, I work for a bank. I'm limited in what I can do, but I work closely with the market teams (but I'm not in finance, nor do I claim to know that much about the markets)- and the word they use to describe the market right now is 'insane'.

#1548 4 years ago

With VIX still very high, nothing is over yet. Reminds me of my poker sessions.

#1549 4 years ago

This is a trading market. You need to be very nimble on what is going on. Apple at 260 was a gift. If you are buying now, trailing stops are your friend.

#1550 4 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

This is a trading market. You need to be very nimble on what is going on. Apple at 260 was a gift. If you are buying now, trailing stops are your friend.

I believe Apple is a $400 stock in 12-18 months so I agree that this was a gift.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

$ 12.95
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 18.95
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

There are 20,997 posts in this topic. You are on page 31 of 420.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stock-market-traders/page/31 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.