IMG_3037 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2908 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7658 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240226-151719 (resized).png
Screenshot_20240226-151210 (resized).png
IMG_1493 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0470 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 20,824 posts in this topic. You are on page 308 of 417.
#15351 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

It is, depending on how your spreadsheet is set up, you may need to change the calculation for just this share.

It looks that way. Thanks. Even my trading dashboard says I'm up infinity%

#15352 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

It is, depending on how your spreadsheet is set up, you may need to change the calculation for just this share.

No, the cost basis is not $0 for a spin-off. Your basis for the original parent stock and the spin-off stock both need to be adjusted, based on the allocation factor.

#15353 2 years ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

No, the cost basis is not $0 for a spin-off. Your basis for the original parent stock and the spin-off stock both need to be adjusted, based on the allocation factor.

We might be saying the same thing, but not sure and not claiming to be an expert on the subject. I just went through this last year with SWBI/AOUT. Or do different ones do it different ways?

The parent stock happens automatically - at least in terms of your broker tracking. Your cost basis won't change on the parent so there is nothing for you to do - the price just adjusts down automatically(as it just drops the price the equivalent amount).

The cost basis on the spin off is 0 to you on the stock itself, and whatever the price actually is, is your 'value / ~profit' in it. You will only go up, or go to 0 from there.

This is how it worked for the one I had.

#15354 2 years ago

It’s always fun to talk about the big wins, but after the last couple of days…

FAD9FD05-E64B-43D4-BC07-4217265A5BF6 (resized).jpegFAD9FD05-E64B-43D4-BC07-4217265A5BF6 (resized).jpeg

Haha… don’t care. I wanna see this in 2023.

Thought we were on an upward trend after the IPO, but it’ll take time. Still see upward momentum, more sales per store, stores carrying, etc… so hmmm. I guess someone at Wells Fargo doesn’t like stevia? *shrug*

*pop*

#15355 2 years ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

D6674FF7-12B7-475E-BC24-3B319DD0F143 (resized).jpegD6674FF7-12B7-475E-BC24-3B319DD0F143 (resized).jpeg

#15356 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

We might be saying the same thing, but not sure and not claiming to be an expert on the subject. I just went through this last year with SWBI/AOUT. Or do different ones do it different ways?
The parent stock happens automatically - at least in terms of your broker tracking. Your cost basis won't change on the parent so there is nothing for you to do - the price just adjusts down automatically(as it just drops the price the equivalent amount).
The cost basis on the spin off is 0 to you on the stock itself, and whatever the price actually is, is your 'value / ~profit' in it. You will only go up, or go to 0 from there.
This is how it worked for the one I had.

No, you don’t want want to use zero as your cost basis for a spin-off stock, unless you want to pay more in taxes when you sell it.
This article gives a simple example: https://abcnews.go.com/Business/story?id=4705244&page=1

#15357 2 years ago

The Company should provide you with detailed basis information if you were reinvesting dividends. If not, they should provide a formula that you can use to calculate it.

Call the transfer agent for details. If they can't answer you immediately, they will get the info to you in a few days.

I went through this when Rockwell broke up into five separate Companies. Some were spin-offs so tax-free until you sold and some were sold to other companies and you got proceeds that you paid tax on that tax year.

GE shareholders are going to deal with this soon.....

#15358 2 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

[quoted image]
Thought we were on an upward trend after the IPO, but it’ll take time. Still see upward momentum, more sales per store, stores carrying, etc… so hmmm. I guess someone at Wells Fargo doesn’t like stevia? *shrug*
*pop*

I bought a couple of six packs after hearing you mention it here. It's just not for me.

#15359 2 years ago

So I went bottom fishing, bought more Disney, FB and some paypal.

#15360 2 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

[quoted image]
*pop*

Get back to me when they are cash flow positive and I will take a look ... until then, no thanks. Drink market is way too competitive and the big guys can swallow you whole

#15361 2 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

all long term winners
adding DIS and PYPL also
both are gong to look like bargains at current prices by next year

#15362 2 years ago

LCID is continuing to baloon for me. The majority of my shares were bought at $23... 6 months ago. At $51 in premarket right now.

#15363 2 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

LCID is continuing to baloon for me. The majority of my shares were bought at $23... 6 months ago. At $51 in premarket right now.

sell some, this company is a long way from profit

#15364 2 years ago

You mean like...amazon, tesla, and any other number of companies that never made money for years or continue to not make money? Doesn't seem to be the perfect solution.

Every tech stock is overvalued from the get go. Market is crazy.

#15365 2 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

sell some, this company is a long way from profit

I have been. I've been selling it constantly for a few weeks but still have more in it than I put in it despite taking a ton out. It's more than doubled in the past month. I have some in a regular trading account I am going to keep until atleast March to avoid Capital gains tax.

First world problems...

#15366 2 years ago

Fly, Lucid, Fly!

#15367 2 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

I jumped in on DIS too. I think that's a safe long term bet. Took a gamble on SPRB, we'll see where that is in a year...

#15368 2 years ago

I went big on DIS a couple weeks ago because their profits were up, but then it took a crap because the market was only looking at subscriber numbers for Disney+, which were slowing. Sure hope it heads back northward, even if it takes a year

#15369 2 years ago

I bought more disney today too, but i've been in since $105 (may 2020)

#15370 2 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

I think you mean Meta I bought some too.

#15371 2 years ago

Boy, Apples on a tear.

#15372 2 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I went big on DIS a couple weeks ago because their profits were up, but then it took a crap because the market was only looking at subscriber numbers for Disney+, which were slowing. Sure hope it heads back northward, even if it takes a year

I've owned DIS since 2012. I consider it a hold at the moment. I don't view it as cheap yet at 38x forward earnings. Lots of good plans for 2022-24 that will move the stock up if it all works out, but there is a significant execution risk over that time too.

#15373 2 years ago
Quoted from hank35:

Boy, Apples on a tear.

I suck at stocks. Bought AAPL a few months ago and it just crept down. Looked around and everybody else is making money in Energy, so divest AAPl, making 5 bucks over 3 months. I buy some energy stock and if course it's creeping down. Bought PINS at the wrong time.

And now AAPL is climbing again. Some people just have it I guess lol

#15374 2 years ago

Apple isn't really a 'play' stock. It's a buy it, if it goes down, buy more...etc. As are most of these old company stocks. Timing is indeed everything though. It really sucks to see the stock you just put a bunch of cash into - that is as high as it's ever been, immediately creep down. One thing to keep in the back of your mind though is if it is a dividend stock, after some time, even if you are down on your entry, you'll make it up in dividends.

#15375 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Apple isn't really a 'play' stock. It's a buy it, if it goes down, buy more...etc. As are most of these old company stocks. Timing is indeed everything though. It really sucks to see the stock you just put a bunch of cash into - that is as high as it's ever been, immediately creep down. One thing to keep in the back of your mind though is if it is a dividend stock, after some time, even if you are down on your entry, you'll make it up in dividends.

Great points for sure and while realizing AAPL wasn't going to make me rich overnight, it's kind of difficult to watch a recently purchased stock slide when you buy, and then come right back up, after sold.

Just gotta keep watching and learning..

#15376 2 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Great points for sure and while realizing AAPL wasn't going to make me rich overnight, it's kind of difficult to watch a recently purchased stock slide when you buy, and then come right back up, after sold.

71486E6D-8531-47B0-833F-09710FBCA777.jpeg71486E6D-8531-47B0-833F-09710FBCA777.jpeg
#15377 2 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

I've owned DIS since 2012. I consider it a hold at the moment. I don't view it as cheap yet at 38x forward earnings. Lots of good plans for 2022-24 that will move the stock up if it all works out, but there is a significant execution risk over that time too.

I agree, good long term hold. The market will catch up - there's just too much scrutiny on Disney+ and subscribers, but it is barely 10% of their overall revenue.

#15378 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Apple isn't really a 'play' stock. It's a buy it, if it goes down, buy more...etc.

I agree to a certain point. I watch my investments multiple times each day, and time has taught me what stock price is high and what is low. Although I like what I see with Apple, historically speaking, it will (most likely) go down. What is going on today is a good example of why I'm considering selling Apple. I then wait until (if) it goes down and purchase again. This wash, rinse, repeat method has done very well for me.

#15379 2 years ago

Visa is getting hammered. I see Amazon will no longer take visa in the UK but the stock goes down this much seems like an overreaction unless people think will Amazon stop taking Visa for the rest of the world?

Amazon definitely throwing their weight around like Costco did with Amex a while back.

#15380 2 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Visa is getting hammered. I see Amazon will no longer take visa in the UK but the stock goes down this much seems like an overreaction unless people think will Amazon stop taking Visa for the rest of the world?
Amazon definitely throwing their weight around like Costco did with Amex a while back.

I can't see that lasting long, Visa is the most popular credit card out there
Feel like it could be a buy at these levels

#15381 2 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Not sure how old you are, but if you are under 50 work on developing some solid core holdings with 80-90% of your portfolio. Broad based ETFs, maybe a handful of quality individual stocks, like Apple, and just forget about those. Don’t even think about selling them. Just watch them. Set the dividends to reinvest until you are more comfortable reinvesting any cash yourself. Think of this part of your portfolio in terms of 3-5 year to even longer holding periods.

Keep 5-10% in cash for and whatever is left over you can use to trade more often and learn how that works a little better.

My biggest regrets in investing are usually premature selling. Biggest hits are very boring - sitting on XLK, MSFT, DIS, AAPL, GOOG, HIG, SPY, AMZN, MAA, JPM, and others for years and years.

#15382 2 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:I suck at stocks. Bought AAPL a few months ago and it just crept down. Looked around and everybody else is making money in Energy, so divest AAPl, making 5 bucks over 3 months. I buy some energy stock and if course it's creeping down. Bought PINS at the wrong time. And now AAPL is climbing again. Some people just have it I guess lol

Been there. I bought Altria at the height in 2018 on some bad financial advise I'm still down 6% including dividends. On the flip side, in 2020 I bought a crap ton of Apple when their supply chain was disrupted at the start of COVID. I'm up 120%. When I do make mistakes investing, I try to learn from my mistake then forgive myself and move on.

#15383 2 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

My biggest regrets in investing are usually premature selling. Biggest hits are very boring - sitting on XLE, MSFT, DIS, AAPL, GOOG, HIG, SPY, AMZN, MAA, JPM, and others for years and years.

I was pretty heavily invested in Standard Lithium before they went on the NYSE. I got tired of watching the stock go nowhere when my other investments were doing much better. Decided to sell it all. They listed on the NYSE a few months later and if I would have held I would have been up over 200%. I still think they are working on some very interesting stuff that if it pans out will be a game changer. I might get back in in the future.

#15384 2 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Had to look that one up. Its just credit cards, not debit cards. Will likely affect some buyers there, but Visa isn't getting 86'd completely.

#15385 2 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

Had to look that one up. Its just credit cards, not debit cards. Will likely affect some buyers there, but Visa isn't getting 86'd completely.

I can't see it lasting, too many people have Visa credit cards
It's the majority card used at our business by a large margin
Yes - the fees suck but it's a part of business.
I am sure Amazon is flexing for lower rates - creates a buy for the stock

#15386 2 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

I can't see that lasting long, Visa is the most popular credit card out there
Feel like it could be a buy at these levels

The article I read said overall it should not impact visa much and they didn't think it would spread.

#15387 2 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

The article I read said overall it should not impact visa much and they didn't think it would spread.

I started a 1/2 position today
Hope it dips under $200 tomorrow so I can buy some more

#15388 2 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

AAPL has been a slow earner for me and I too haven't owned it that long. The shares I bought in June are up 15.3%, the shares I bought in July are up 4.45%. I plan to buy more again soon, probably if it dips a little.

#15389 2 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

I was reading as well that MasterCard has the same/similar fees but Amazon went after Visa for some reason maybe to send a message. It only effects Amazon UK.

#15390 2 years ago

Best way to deal with impatience is to buy more individual stocks rather than repeatedly betting the house chasing (losing) gains on a few big bets.

Every month I buy a few hundred of something new. Keeps me entertained and not feeling like I’m missing out.

#15391 2 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

AAPL has been a slow earner for me and I too haven't owned it that long. The shares I bought in June are up 15.3%, the shares I bought in July are up 4.45%. I plan to buy more again soon, probably if it dips a little.

that's a slow earner - 15% in 5 months?

#15392 2 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

Fly, Lucid, Fly!

Don't burn your wings now Lucid!

#15393 2 years ago

Nvidia is popping, I bought it 3 months ago at $120-130 and now it's $324/share

However BABA is taking a dump again.

#15394 2 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Nvidia is popping, I bought it 3 months ago at $120-130 and now it's $324/share
However BABA is taking a dump again.

BABA, LVS, FB, DIS and the rest of them..lol. who did I piss off?

#15395 2 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

BABA, LVS, FB, DIS and the rest of them..lol. who did I piss off?

Just that type of market

#15396 2 years ago

Hey @sataneatscheese, I don't know you at all brother, but if I were in your shoes I would highly consider exiting or greatly, greatly reducing your Lucid exposure quickly. It ran too far, too fast, and it and the rest of the electric stocks are dropping like a rock. You have held heavy bags for way too long to lose a gain like this.

#15397 2 years ago

Today is a great example of “flight to safety”. The big guys are rallying and carrying the indexes with them.

The rest? *boom*… ugly. Well, at least MAC and GRN are still pushing forward.

The big winners lift the whole ocean. Miss them, and you might drown. Yeesh.

#15398 2 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

I have been. I've been selling it constantly for a few weeks but still have more in it than I put in it despite taking a ton out. It's more than doubled in the past month. I have some in a regular trading account I am going to keep until atleast March to avoid Capital gains tax.
First world problems...

The lower price by March will also help you avoid some capital gains

#15399 2 years ago

I believe in BABA long term, just maybe not today but they are the Amazon of China etc. one if not the largest companies in the second largest economy in the world, I just think the government will have to deliberately fuck them up for something to happen to BABA as a successful company. I am talking long term successful company. I know take China's numbers with a grain of salt but BABA has a PE of 20 while Amazon is at PE 70.

#15400 2 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I believe in BABA long term, just maybe not today but they are the Amazon of China etc. one if not the largest companies in the second largest economy in the world, I just think the government will have to deliberately fuck them up for something to happen to BABA as a successful company. I am talking long term successful company. I know take China's numbers with a grain of salt but BABA has a PE of 20 while Amazon is at PE 70.

BABA's revenue was up something like 29% yoy....but below what the street was estimating. Lol..29% growth was not good enough? I bought some more at 142...today. I'll just have to hold it for a long time.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Backbox
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy
Protection
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply
Decals
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 12.95
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus
Toys/Add-ons
There are 20,824 posts in this topic. You are on page 308 of 417.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stock-market-traders/page/308?hl=ruralcollector and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.