Image 4-6-24 at 11.42?AM (resized).jpeg
IMG_7948 (resized).jpeg
kuiil-have-spoken.gif
200w.gif
gold24 (resized).jpg
counting_coins_02.gif
IMG_1659 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 21,020 posts in this topic. You are on page 303 of 421.
#15101 2 years ago

Most of what you stated regarding offshoring is incorrect. The manufacturing industry was on a steady rise prior to 2016, and continued that trend until COVID. We are still well below pre-covid numbers. While a few companies were bringing jobs back, almost all of them were already doing this prior to 2017's tax changes. Many did not because the increased tariffs raised the cost of materials substantially. They could have used that money to pay for the higher cost materials and bring jobs back. The real thing that happened was that most of these 'savings' were redistributed in the form of stock buybacks. One could say, yes, people benefited from this, except that MOST people are not in the market so who benefited was still a select few. There were a few companies that gave their employees 1 time bonuses, and even fewer companies who gave their employees raises, or increased job numbers.

Also, while it is correct we have not seen exactly what the tax cut has done yet, and won't for awhile, historically, you are inaccurate. It has NEVER worked as intended. This is a reality that a certain side of the country constantly pretends is a thing.

As for spending. Completely agree. Spending is ALWAYS an issue, it's all about if you agree with where the money is going. There are a number of jobs that taxes go to that I feel are very underpaid. Government is not one of them. I wish the way tax distributions are determined was changed drastically.

#15102 2 years ago

So is there any gas left in the dwac hype?

#15103 2 years ago
Quoted from ypurchn:

I have a feeling there may be a gap up tomorrow, but I wouldn't touch it until a big dip and some sign it's going to run again.

#15104 2 years ago
Quoted from ypurchn:

Should find out tomorrow. Options open up on DWAC. Could be big swings in either direction. Shorts could come in and try and crush again it but they might remember the billions they lost on AMC and GME.

Fun to watch.

#15105 2 years ago
Quoted from ypurchn:

a cautionary tale: phun. If you time it right, you make millions. If you time it wrong, you lose everything. Dear lord don't dare to short it though. Movement ain't based on fundamentals, so good luck with the crystal ball. Recent history, was around $1 for a long time now, moved up to $1.5 Thursday, peaked at $20 Friday before settling back down to 8.74. All purely on dwac fever. But zoom out a bit and you see years of pain.

"Phunware, founded in 2009, went public via a SPAC in December 2018 and came to some prominence in 2019 for its work with the Trump/Pence reelection campaign. Phunware reportedly received a $3 million contract from Trump’s former campaign manager Brad Parscale and its stock went from $10 a share in December 2018 to more than $300 a share by Feb 1, 2019.

By April 2019, shares were back trading for less than $6 though.

One year later, the company was slapped with a delisting warning from NASDAQ after its stock had traded below $1 for 30 consecutive days."

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/phunware-stock-was-up-1-000-on-friday-what-the-heck-is-phunware-11634924484

#15106 2 years ago

Is 1.5% (on AUM) a fair rate for investment advisory services? 1% for amounts over $1M.

I called uncle and hired an investment adviser.

I'll still play around with a few bucks...basically gambling so I can lurk around and chase the next high flyer!

I came to realize that I just don't have the discipline to invest my own money for the long term...nor the time...nor the balls I guess. I was paralyzed so I took some action. I'd rather fix up and play pinballs or dick around in the garage on something - finish a boat project. Or drive my son around to baseball tournaments...Lol.

This adviser has a value oriented strategy similar to Benjamin Graham philosophies - which I like...and believe in...but as I said before I don't have the practical experience, nor the time to learn and research properly.

We shall see....I'm just happy now that I'm getting the money back to work....LFG!!!

#15107 2 years ago
Quoted from PinHigh1:

Is 1.5% (on AUM) a fair rate for investment advisory services? 1% for amounts over $1M.
I called uncle and hired an investment adviser.
I'll still play around with a few bucks...basically gambling so I can lurk around and chase the next high flyer!
I came to realize that I just don't have the discipline to invest my own money for the long term...nor the time...nor the balls I guess. I was paralyzed so I took some action. I'd rather fix up and play pinballs or dick around in the garage on something - finish a boat project. Or drive my son around to baseball tournaments...Lol.
This adviser has a value oriented strategy similar to Benjamin Graham philosophies - which I like...and believe in...but as I said before I don't have the practical experience, nor the time to learn and research properly.
We shall see....I'm just happy now that I'm getting the money back to work....LFG!!!

Yep I believe that is in line. I like 1% for 1mil firms. Anything above 1.5% doesn’t make sense, ever to me. Hence I avoid rip off artists like LPL Financial. Some docs I know pay 2% at VIP firms but get tons of specialized assistance with it.

#15108 2 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

Reagan also helped create that spending problem, ....

Government has a spending problem .. it's not exclusive to one party

#15109 2 years ago

Paypal confirmed it is not considering buying PINS. PINS stock did as you'd expect.

#15110 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Paypal confirmed it is not considering buying PINS. PINS stock did as you'd expect.

why I am usually a sell on the rumors guy

#15111 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Most of what you stated regarding offshoring is incorrect. The manufacturing industry was on a steady rise prior to 2016, and continued that trend until COVID. We are still well below pre-covid numbers. While a few companies were bringing jobs back, almost all of them were already doing this prior to 2017's tax changes. Many did not because the increased tariffs raised the cost of materials substantially. They could have used that money to pay for the higher cost materials and bring jobs back. The real thing that happened was that most of these 'savings' were redistributed in the form of stock buybacks. One could say, yes, people benefited from this, except that MOST people are not in the market so who benefited was still a select few. There were a few companies that gave their employees 1 time bonuses, and even fewer companies who gave their employees raises, or increased job numbers.
Also, while it is correct we have not seen exactly what the tax cut has done yet, and won't for awhile, historically, you are inaccurate. It has NEVER worked as intended. This is a reality that a certain side of the country constantly pretends is a thing.
As for spending. Completely agree. Spending is ALWAYS an issue, it's all about if you agree with where the money is going. There are a number of jobs that taxes go to that I feel are very underpaid. Government is not one of them. I wish the way tax distributions are determined was changed drastically.

Most economist will tell you tax cuts are not good incentives for economic growth. Also it's a doubly bad idea to give tax cuts when the economy is already in the growth or expansion phase, which ahem...leads to inflation. Tax cuts and other monetary incentives should be reserved for a recessionary times or a slow down to kickstart the economic engine.

#15112 2 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Most economist will tell you tax cuts are not good incentives for economic growth. Also it's a doubly bad idea to give tax cuts when the economy is already in the growth or expansion phase, which ahem...leads to inflation. Tax cuts and other monetary incentives should be reserved for a recessionary times or a slow down to kickstart the economic engine.

Makes perfect common sense. Tax when things are GOOD, so amongst other reasons, you have something to cut back to ease some of the pressure when times get lean. Did I just suggest a tax increase ? FML

#15113 2 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

The CEO of DWAC Patrick Orlando is also the CEO of another SPAC, BENE, which by association and the rumor mill people think might be used to take another Trump company public. It was getting talked about on Reddit's pennystocks thread and had a quick spike today from $10 to $16, before dropping back down to around $11. I bought $300 worth at $11 just to see if something crazy happens to it early next week too. It's dropping a little in after hours already, so the pump may have already happened, but sometimes these things take quite a few days to get the real hype.

This ended up popping up over 25% at opening and looks to be settling in around $13.90 a share.

#15114 2 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Government has a spending problem .. it's not exclusive to one party

Totally agree, that's why I ended that sentence with "... and every President after has followed suit."

#15115 2 years ago

DWAC currently doesn't have the volume for another run, that's not to say it couldn't pick up, but I'd certainly view it as a gamble investing in that now.

My oil investment isn't as much as it used to be, I keep waiting for the shoe to drop on this current run but oil prices keep creeping up as well as the stocks. A little regret scaling down my investment now, but live and learn.

#15116 2 years ago

I am a follower of Nick Hanauer's Pitchfork Economics. Self-made billionaire (early Amazon investor) and builder of other tech businesses. He routinely pours salt on the failed notion of trickle down economics, tax cuts which pay for themselves (argues they never do), popular financial myths, and among other things the importance of flushing the bottom of the income pyramid with cash to build up the entire economy vs. siphoning it off at the top only for those who are smart enough and well-connected to cover their tracks & hide income.

nick (resized).pngnick (resized).png

https://pitchforkeconomics.com/episodes/

Economics is very, very complicated. I do not claim to be an expert, nor maintain a one size fits all attitude when it comes to economic philosophy. Only an enthusiast. Carry on...

#15117 2 years ago

Samsung judgment in Netlist case came in today. Samsung lost on every point and damages trial starts next month. NLST is up a buck today. But this judgment also affects the google case which is the real money since is confirms that Samsung starved NLST for chips and Google was the one that convinced them to do it to try to get out of paying patent royalties on ALL their server RAM. Google made 1.1 TRILLION dollars in the infringing time, while using the fastest ram tech on earth NETLIST pioneered. This will be the largest damages in a tech case ever when it comes in. Trial is March. I expect a settlement before that. Google is out of appeals.

Everyone running newer DDR and server ram owes Netlist patent royalties and their patent has been confirmed to be a seminal patent a number of times already, so Samsung, Google, Marvell, Inphii are just the beginning.

#15118 2 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

I am a follower of Nick Hanauer's Pitchfork Economics. Self-made billionaire (early Amazon investor) and builder of other tech businesses. He routinely pours salt on the failed notion of trickle down economics, tax cuts which pay for themselves (argues they never do), popular financial myths, and among other things the importance of flushing the bottom of the income pyramid with cash to build up the entire economy vs. siphoning it off at the top only for those who are smart enough and well-connected to cover their tracks & hide income.
[quoted image]
https://pitchforkeconomics.com/episodes/
Economics is very, very complicated. I do not claim to be an expert, nor maintain a one size fits all attitude when it comes to economic philosophy. Only an enthusiast. Carry on...

Nick has some interesting ideas but bare in mind that he is avowed liberal in his thinking and a classical Keynesian theorist. You might consider adding Thomas Sowell and Nassim Nicholas Taleb to your reading list to give you some alternative perspectives around a strata of economic theory. As you mentioned, economics is incredibly complex.

#15119 2 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Nick has some interesting ideas but bare in mind that he is avowed liberal in his thinking and a classical Keynesian theorist. You might consider adding Thomas Sowell and Nassim Nicholas Taleb to your reading list to give you some alternative perspectives around a strata of economic theory. As you mentioned, economics is incredibly complex.

Yikes.

#15120 2 years ago

Are you not a fan of diverse economic theorists? I provided a supply-side theorist and an exogenous theorist to accompany the demand-side theorist. Always good to get differing views to help formulate your own opinions.

#15121 2 years ago

Finally my aviation dogs are coming alive...GE is up almost 4 bucks, I bet it will go up more tomorrow when more hedgies digest the numbers. Now only if Boeing follows suit....Culp is a Rockstar, Calhoun is definitely not!

#15122 2 years ago

If you don't believe somewhat in trickle down economics, all you need to do is look back to the late 80's/early 90's and see what happened when they decided to put a luxury tax on boats
Spoiler - it didn't only effect the rich boat buyers

#15123 2 years ago

If you don't believe somewhat in trickle down economics, all you need to do is look back to the late 80's/early 90's and see what happened when they decided to put a luxury tax on boats
Spoiler - it didn't only effect the rich boat buyers

Please expand on this enlightening well thought out comparison.

#15124 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Please expand on this enlightening well thought out comparison.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1992-01-31-fi-1159-story.html

“We had to cut production and lay off people who have worked here for up to 15 years,” said Day, whose company manufactures yachts that sell for as high as $275,000. “We definitely plan to do some rehiring if the tax is lifted.”

“It hurts business,” he said, “the tax really is not good for business. It’s costing money instead of making money for the government--with the jobs lost. Nobody’s collecting those taxes if nobody’s buying those products.”

The luxury tax placed on the more expensive boats has not affected the wealthy, as many in Congress argue, but has hurt blue-collar workers who have lost their jobs because of slow boat sales, said David Broome, vice president of government relations at the association.
Broome estimated that more than 19,000 boat manufacturing jobs were lost in 1991, and he blames the luxury tax.

Not to mention the reduction in other boat related industries - marinas - boating supplies - waterfront restaurants - repair facilities - boat washing/waxing services, etc...

#15125 2 years ago

Not to mention the reduction in other boat related industries - marinas - boating supplies - waterfront restaurants - repair facilities - boat washing/waxing services, etc...

How do I say this....I guess yes, this is an example of a type of trickle down, but not the kind of trickle down that is being pushed as a reason for corporations to get further tax cuts. If the top vs. the grunt wage gap wasn't in the multi-million/multi-billions, you might have a more solid argument in my mind. The reality is that only in a very small number of cases does trickle down work to the advantage of everyone in the chain.

I hope that you understand the nuance between what you are talking about and what actual trickle down is supposed to accomplish. We can discuss in PM if you like, as I don't think it will be allowed here.

And to be clear, I think luxury taxes are bs. The price is already the luxury tax.

And let me clarify something further. I think many people get caught up in the small business side of this discussion. Small businesses have it way harder than large corporate entities. Where that cutoff is? That's debatable. My numbers might be higher than you think.

#15126 2 years ago

I don't want to knock down that guy's opinion but that just might be that an opinion. Some guy pontificating about taxes won't be as persuasive as hard data, to fully prove your point you need to use empirical data such as sales percentage before and after etc..

#15127 2 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

I don't want to knock down that guy's opinion but that just might be that an opinion. Some guy pontificating about taxes won't be as persuasive as hard data, to fully prove your point you need to use empirical data such as sales percentage before and after etc..

I experienced it as it happened and know it to be the truth

and the data is available through National Marine Manufacturers Assn. if you want to dig it up

#15128 2 years ago

52 week low on PINS. Might be worth a swing, but I don't see much support until about $10 lower.

#15129 2 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

52 week low on PINS. Might be worth a swing, but I don't see much support until about $10 lower.

I'd be more inclined to invest in Paypal, which PINS dragged down over the past week, it has a lot more upside.

#15130 2 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

I'd be more inclined to invest in Paypal, which PINS dragged down over the past week, it has a lot more upside.

It's interesting PayPal hasn't recovered any of that drop. I've been watching it. I don't see the benefit, but somebody will eventually buy pinterest since both microsoft and paypal were interested in them.

#15131 2 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

It's interesting PayPal hasn't recovered any of that drop. I've been watching it. I don't see the benefit, but somebody will eventually buy pinterest since both microsoft and paypal were interested in them.

Yeah, it popped up $10 a share Monday morning right out of the gate after the news broke that they weren't buying PINS, but it dropped back down over the day and today to about where it was at Friday. I may start nibbling at it soon.

#15132 2 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Finally my aviation dogs are coming alive...GE is up almost 4 bucks, I bet it will go up more tomorrow when more hedgies digest the numbers. Now only if Boeing follows suit....Culp is a Rockstar, Calhoun is definitely not!

Bailed on Boeing yesterday at $212 for a small loss. Fortunately, I missed today's drop. Got sick of it being dead money. I still have shares in a 401K that I received when Rockwell sold their aerospace division to Boeing.

#15133 2 years ago

I finally stopped out on F today at ~60% profit + divs for 5 years. I will look at re-entry if they ever reinstate the dividend. I don't believe it will go much higher than its 52 week any time soon. Kind of wish it had happened a few days ago before Teslas announcement.

#15134 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I finally stopped out on F today at ~60% profit + divs for 5 years. I will look at re-entry if they ever reinstate the dividend. I don't believe it will go much higher than its 52 week any time soon. Kind of wish it had happened a few days ago before Teslas announcement.

I'm Curious, why you didn't wait for their earnings call tomorrow? Of course, it could plummet so getting out now wouldn't be bad. I'm up 11% and was thinking of selling yesterday but decided to wait for the earnings release....

#15135 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

How do I say this....I guess yes, this is an example of a type of trickle down, but not the kind of trickle down that is

I'm Curious, why you didn't wait for their earnings call tomorrow? Of course, it could plummet so getting out now wouldn't be bad. I'm up 11% and was thinking of selling yesterday but decided to wait for the earnings release....

I don't think Ford is going higher anytime soon...not with the chip shortage anyway.
But Boeing, Arrrggh! The team that can't never win. These levels are just too cheap to pass up. I sold some winners lately and bought more of this dog. I now have 1400 share of this POS. Long term I can easily see this at 300 tho. It's a duopoly industry for crissakes. They have to get rid of Calhoun though. He's in over his head and just can't fix the issues...I've never seen a less able guy head a company this big and important. Reminds me of the guy who took Chrysler private..wow!

#15136 2 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

I don't think Ford is going higher anytime soon...not with the chip shortage anyway.
But Boeing, Arrrggh! The team that can't never win. These levels are just too cheap to pass up. I sold some winners lately and bought more of this dog. I now have 1400 share of this POS. Long term I can easily see this at 300 tho. It's a duopoly industry for crissakes. They have to get rid of Calhoun though. He's in over his head and just can't fix the issues...I've never seen a less able guy head a company this big and important. Reminds me of the guy who took Chrysler private..wow!

It ran pretty good under Condit and Stonecipher. Until Stonecipher's affair got out. Holy shit, he looked like a nice grandfather figure too. What a scum....

#15137 2 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

It ran pretty good under Condit and Stonecipher. Until Stonecipher's affair got out. Holy shit, he looked like a nice grandfather figure too. What a scum....

I wish I had a cool last name, like Stonecipher! Thats WWE territory there!

#15138 2 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Well, it was more of a decision to move some money around. I had decided to put a 6% stop on it when it went to the high. I knew it would pull back at least some, but historically it just keeps going down once it hits those highs. If it hadn't hit I would still be in, but it kept trending down. As I think it's hit a wall for the time being and it isn't paying divs, there are better places I can put my money. I don't see the earnings making a positive difference tomorrow, but who knows since I got out, I'll probably be wrong

#15139 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Well, it was more of a decision to move some money around. I had decided to put a 6% stop on it when it went to the high. I knew it would pull back at least some, but historically it just keeps going down once it hits those highs. If it hadn't hit I would still be in, but it kept trending down. As I think it's hit a wall for the time being and it isn't paying divs, there are better places I can put my money. I don't see the earnings making a positive difference tomorrow, but who knows since I got out, I'll probably be wrong

I'm hoping my bailing out of Boeing helps kvan99....

#15140 2 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

I'm hoping my bailing out of Boeing helps kvan99....

I appreciate the sentiment but looks like the earnings result may have been parsed together rom other sources and it's not looking good....way to go Calhoun..keep trying to manage a company in Seattle from a Chicago HQ.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/uncertainty-dogs-787-deliveries-max-213509771.html

PS: Google reported 39% growth...but the stock is trading down 10 bucks after hours. It was up 17 today so I don't know what the action will look like tomorrow. I thought they blew it out but I guess the Apple privacy stuff has all the advertisers worried.

#15141 2 years ago

Goog...what a headfake after the earnings...it looked like it was going to sell off, I didn't understand it, the earnings were pretty good to me. I'm so happy I didn't dump it last night, Goog is up 64 bucks this morning. I'm going to sell half later today...the Apple privacy stuff is still a big unknown.

Option Alert Najarian mentioned Marathon Petroleum MPC, someone bought 20000 contracts, one month out....that's 2 mill shares.

#15142 2 years ago

Continuing to SLOWLY diversify out of Lucid. They are delivering first customer cars this Saturday. Went from being way underwater to up almost 20% on it now. Patience. Slowly moving that money into heavily weighted stocks in the VIGAX ETF.

#15143 2 years ago

Wow, today kind of sucks. I'd call it a buying opportunity...but uh...

#15144 2 years ago

Google up 7% after earnings.

#15145 2 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Google up 7% after earnings.

I guess all those damn youtube ads are paying off

#15146 2 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

I guess all those damn youtube ads are paying off

I get Youtube premium (no ads). I paid less than $160 for a lot of those shares 12 years ago that's a 20x gain.

#15147 2 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Goog...what a headfake after the earnings...it looked like it was going to sell off, I didn't understand it, the earnings were pretty good to me. I'm so happy I didn't dump it last night, Goog is up 64 bucks this morning. I'm going to sell half later today...the Apple privacy stuff is still a big unknown.
Option Alert Najarian mentioned Marathon Petroleum MPC, someone bought 20000 contracts, one month out....that's 2 mill shares.

Marathon, An American Company serving America. Watching their barges being tugged along the Ohio River is an awesome sight....

#15148 2 years ago

Does anyone go into the monthly options divs: QYLD, RYLD, JEPI, NUSI, DIVO

Thoughts?

Also, f*k the pullback today. My portfolio is a bloodbath.

Also, F posted better than expected, and stock went back up to about where it was, but I don't see much upside any time soon.

#15149 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Not sexy by any means but here is the Tom Lee list I like

Thanks Ice! I plan on doing more research on the following as they meet my investment criteria:

AAP
GPC
LEN
TPH
HD
LOW

#15150 2 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Continuing to SLOWLY diversify out of Lucid. They are delivering first customer cars this Saturday. Went from being way underwater to up almost 20% on it now. Patience. Slowly moving that money into heavily weighted stocks in the VIGAX ETF.

My LCID is mooning. Took a while, but up 14% today and back in the green no matter how I slice it. It's been a while since I said it and the stock ticker has changed, but CCIV!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 12.95
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
There are 21,020 posts in this topic. You are on page 303 of 421.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stock-market-traders/page/303?hl=frisbez and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.