Image 4-6-24 at 11.42?AM (resized).jpeg
IMG_7948 (resized).jpeg
kuiil-have-spoken.gif
200w.gif
gold24 (resized).jpg
counting_coins_02.gif
IMG_1659 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider loneacer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

568 posts in this topic match your search for posts by loneacer. You are on page 2 of 3.
#6368 3 years ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

I doubt silver will ever be $100. It is just so common. Mining can ramp up quickly to meet demand. Gold and platinum are a different story.

There's essentially an infinite supply of all these metals in space, on asteroids and such. Eventually we'll be able to mine those and bring them back.

The asteroid Psyche alone is estimated to be worth $10 quintillion. Bringing a 140 mile diameter metal object to Earth might not be easy

#6415 3 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

A word of warning. The most money I ever lost in the stock market was with TZA, back in 2011 or so. Things were looking pretty grim for some reason or another, and I the genius with the seeing stones decided the market was going to tank, and went all in on TZA. The day afterwards the Fed announced operation twist, and the free money tap opened up, pumping up the stock market and killing me. It was a valuable lesson, and I wouldn't touch it. However, if you chose to go for TZA, know that TZA has been going down it's entire existance. When I bought it 10 years ago it's price was about 10 times what it is now. It slowly goes down with brief spikes in price, so if you do go TZA I wouldn't hold onto it for more than a few weeks at most. Additionally, the new administration will do everything in their power to keep markets up short term... up to and including free money.

Likewise. I did similar around the same time. I dabbled in 3x levered VIX ETFS, S&P 500 ETFS, and gold miner ETFS. My total losses on these were in the 6 figures (over 2 years after tax salary at the time). I invest very conservatively now and am still digging out from that hole I made with a capital loss carryover following me yearly on my tax returns to remind me of my stupidity.

On a positive note, I'm up almost 30k this week (mostly on 4k shares of WBA that are up about $6/share this week). That will knock a big chunk out of that loss carryover.

#6515 3 years ago

1/2/21 - BTC hits $32k - "This thing is so overvalued, I can't believe it's this high"

1/11/21 - BTC hits $32k - "Huge buying opportunity. Buy the dips. Steal of a lifetime"

#6601 3 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

I hope these thread doesn't degrade into comparing bank accounts

I have a BOA savings and 2 checking. Come at me bro!

#6607 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

This thread can make anybody feel poor, regardless of your portfolio.

No kidding. People post their big winners, but you rarely hear about the big losers.

#6608 3 years ago
Quoted from Bospins:

A tip for anyone with a company Match 401k
My returns were crappy because I had some standard fidelity mutual funds to pick from when I set it up. They got me a whopping 20% last year, as my personal stuff more than doubled. Frustrating
I called them and got out of the default “personal advisory services” and converted my account to “brokeragelink” which is their version of E*TRADE, scottrade, Robin Hood etc.
Now I can buy and sell in my 401k as I do in my taxable accounts and make similar returns.
Sorry if I’m late to the party on this one but this was an epiphany for me so thought I share, in case there are other dumb dumbs like me out there.

One of the reasons I left my 9 year job a couple years ago was so I could roll over the 401k with terrible investment options to a vanguard IRA where I can do whatever I want with it. The final nail in it for me was when they switched over a real estate fund, that held actual ownership in 100+ properties to a REIT fund and said they were comparable. I had about half of my 401k in the real estate fund and it did great from 2009-2017.

#6616 3 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

ICE took his ball and went home?

We all know Ice likes to partake in the spirits at night. This isn't the first time. He'll be back.

#6623 3 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I'm pretty sure I know at least part of the issue just by reading and it started around Nov 3.
but I thought it was fairly normal around here at least until the disagreement over PSTH. This isn't the first time they've taken a hiatus, I'm sure they will cool down and be back. Honestly don't know why ego has to play any part in this, but the people who do this the most (and probably best) also tend to be attached emotionally to the ups and downs.
But then again, half this place can't even remain civil talking about pinball.

I see both sides on PSTH. I said before I don't like Ackman. Right now you're paying $29 for $20 cash and a promise. I bought 1000 yesterday and sold covered calls on them expiring Friday. Thinking more on it, I closed the positions today for about $250 profit. I like the strategy, but I'd like it much better in the $22-25 range. Paying $1.50 for $1 is awfully risky.

#6626 3 years ago
Quoted from loren3233:

I did notice this and I hope all is well with you. Thanking you for the previous contributions into this thread and hoping the vibe does change back to what it was.

I post some of my trades, but nobody seems to care since they aren't the sexy growth names. I posted shorting PTON at $166 and it fell as low as $141 a couple days ago. I posted that I'm biggest long on WBA and XOM. They were down huge at one point, but are up 50-70% off their lows. They both seem like low risk turnaround no brainer dividend plays right now. WBA is finally seeing results of their multi-year turnaround effort. They just sold their wholesale pharma stake for $6.5+ billion plus stock. They're adding VillageMD clinics to most of their stores. I see them as an investment, not a trade and they are by far my biggest position. I had over 5000 shares a few months ago, but have cut back to about 2000 for risk management.

#6628 3 years ago
Quoted from spikelou2:

Can anyone explain the logic of buying these spac”s . Seems like they are raising money into a blind pool investments . Seems like bs to me but also seems like there is an unlimited appetite for these now . Can anyone educate me on them.

That's what they are. I saw an article this morning that said the average stock purchased through a SPAC since 2015 is down something like 18%.

#6634 3 years ago
Quoted from loren3233:

For me, and I can't speak for others, but I do not understand the "shorting, calls, puts, etc"

Shorting is just the opposite of buying. You sell stock you don't own for a promise to buy it back later, hopefully at a cheaper price so you make a profit. Can be dangerous, but can also make a lot fast. Stocks take the stairs up, but the elevator down.

#6635 3 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

Shorting is just the opposite of buying. You sell stock you don't own for a promise to buy it back later, hopefully at a cheaper price so you make a profit. Can be dangerous, but can also make a lot fast. Stocks take the stairs up, but the elevator down.

I'm thinking of shorting DASH after it just ran up $50 in 3 days on no news.

#6640 3 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

I'm thinking of shorting DASH after it just ran up $50 in 3 days on no news.

Ok I did it. Hopefully I don't look like a fool in a few hours/days.

Short 100 at 184.50.
Sold a $185 put expiring Friday for $8.20.

If held to expiration and the stock is below $185, I'll make $770. If it's above $185, I'll make $820 + (184.50 - whatever stock price is) * 100. So if it's $190, I'll still make $270 even though I'm down $550 on the short stock portion. I'll have to be wrong on the short all the way to $192.70 before I start losing money.

Usually when I do this, I close out the positions early if they get up near the maximum profit. If they turn into a loss, I just sell another put the next week, and the next week, until I finally come out ahead. My theory is that nothing goes up forever and I'm only losing time. I've only been doing this strategy for a few months, but it hasn't failed yet.

#6655 3 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

Ok I did it. Hopefully I don't look like a fool in a few hours/days.

*@#$ Short Squeeze....

I bought back my put and sold another out a couple weeks. Now instead of break even at $192.xx, I'm profitable up to $204.xx. Just have to hold the position a couple extra weeks. Gotta be nimble when you're playing with fire.

#6695 3 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Best two days on the Traders thread ever! Lol

You know it’s a good night when you drain the thread and don’t remember it the next day

#6702 3 years ago

I am holding Sprouts (SFM) - but it's been sideways for months

That sounds kind of dirty...

#6705 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Massive lockup ends in February with a lot of shares coming out. This represents a good buying opportunity after lock up. Would not buy C3.AI until after lockup as well.

The few IPOs I've watched lately, the stocks drop quite a bit in the weeks leading up to lockup expiration, but on the actual day of lockup they've gone up significantly. Just the opposite of what the retail traders are expecting.

#6708 3 years ago
Quoted from Barakawins1:

What does the lockup mean?

On an IPO, certain employees and insiders can't sell until a few months after the IPO. When that date comes, some traders expect a flood of selling to occur.

#6790 3 years ago

Any thoughts on WOOF and POSH IPOs? Both down today, putting their market caps at 6-7 billion. Not the sexy tech names most here like though.

1 week later
#7052 3 years ago
Quoted from DadofTwins:

Do you have to be a broker to have access to the short information?

https://www.highshortinterest.com/

#7091 3 years ago
Quoted from Bospins:

This could be 100% correct.
My thinking with shares is at the current share price, gme is probably reasonably valued. So huge low probability upside with limited downside.
It’s a gamble for sure. But it will be entertaining.

How are they reasonably valued now when the stock is the highest since 2007, but sales and earnings are a fraction of what they were in 2007?

#7099 3 years ago

There they go again. GME and AMC up 40% in the premarket. BB up 33%.

#7111 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Holy shit, RKT spiked 14% this morning. Have to dig into this.

Of course it is. My covered calls executed Friday.

#7112 3 years ago

FYI you can buy AMC and sell 1/29 calls for about $1. That's some pretty nice protection for 4 days.

That was for calls that were 0.75 and 1.25 out of the money too.

#7113 3 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

I truly feel today is the final exhaustion gap for GME. Anyone not taking profits today is going to learn a bad lesson. I wish I could find shares to short here in the $90s !! Puts are too expensive.

Good thing you didn't, with it now at $140.

#7115 3 years ago

yeah... I bailed on it also (too soon apparently)

MAC has the 4th highest short interest. It's part of the squeeze the shorts game going on right now.

#7127 3 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

It won't be there long. $90 short will seem like a damn good play in the next couple days.

Probably, but a $150 short would have looked better.

#7131 3 years ago

All you degenerate gamblers broke the market today

Robinhood is experiencing issues with crypto trading
Vanguard tweeted it understands some clients are experiencing issues accessing their accounts
TD Ameritrade says it is aware of an issue impacting a small number of clients on the thinkorswim platform, a company spokesperson said
Charles Schwab announced it worked to resolve an issue
There was a slowdown in Merrill logins earlier Monday, but the situation has been resolved, according to a Bank of America spokesperson
E*Trade users reported problems Monday, according to Downdetector

#7134 3 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

I've had no issues trading on Ameritrade today.

I couldn't access Vanguard for about 20 minutes a couple hours ago.

#7136 3 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I have to wonder whether options trading will be changed.

They've changed from a way to hedge your stock positions to a way to control the market itself. Softbank pretty much single-handedly caused a couple tech surges last year.

#7149 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

I see what the crazies did to gme, and then I look over at amc and think “that’s it?”
A week ago I would have been picking my jaw off the floor on that amc move.

True, but AMC has some substance behind it I think. Their new financing will keep them solvent for a while. I rarely/never get it on these pump and dumb stocks, but I bought some AMC Friday and more today.

I almost went to work for them a couple years ago. Their corporate office is one street over from where I work now. I applied, but when I heard details of how their IT department works, I canceled my interview. Glad I didn't go for it with all the layoffs from Covid.

#7175 3 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

That is some crazy shite. I will say, I don't have a problem with it. I've never been fond of shorting even being a thing. The market is supposed to be about helping the economy and business, not gambling, but it is more gambling than anything, especially the 'betting against' being legal.

Supposedly shorts add much needed liquidity in volatile markets. They are much needed buyers in a down market and sellers in an up market.

#7196 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Hey jonesjb, did you buy AMC when you brought it up the other day? It was a good call on your part. Up about 10% in the pre-market.

Thanks to all of you that brought it up. It and the wallstreetbets stuff wasn't really on my radar. I'm well hedged, so my gains are limited, but I could make a max of around $10k if it's above $5.50 at the end of the week. That would be a big shot in the arm this early in the new trading year. It would have to drop to around $3.25 before I went negative on my positions.

Starting to get antsy on it. Close the positions early for a double, or wait it out for a home run?

#7203 3 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

I have mine at 6.5, but I'm considering a long play until next year. What other world leading company poised for an industry resurgence can you have at $4? Of course it could be the next Blockbuster too.

My covered calls are at 5.50 and 6.00, except some next Friday at 3.50 I bought last week. Premiums were much lower last week, so I sold 3.50s on my 3.20 shares. Looking pretty likely it will be over 3.50 next Friday, so I'll let that batch ride and get called away.

#7208 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

The premiums on the Friday weekly calls were/are crazy so that was the kicker for me to sell covered calls.

Ditto. The ones I sold last Friday, for 2/5, were 20 cents out of the money and only got 0.67 premium. 20% of the share price at the time for 2 weeks. Still nothing to sneeze at.

#7225 3 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Elon tweeted about GME, and it shot up 30% immediately.

And you know he does that on purpose to thumb his nose at the SEC.

#7343 3 years ago

While everybody is watching GME and AMC, the rest of the high flyers are kind of falling apart this morning. Might be something to keep an eye on. The ARK ETFs are down about 3% each.

PSTH down to 26 and change too. AFRM lowest since IPO day. I'm getting a bit of that today.

#7416 3 years ago
Quoted from jester523:

So...how does this end?

Usually in tears. I've seen similar trading behavior every few years in different parts of the market. Dot Com, anything with blockchain in the name, anything related to pot, now anything with high short interest. It's a temporary phenomenon that will be over in a few weeks at most.

#7447 3 years ago

Recent IPO Posh might be worth a look finally. It dropped 10% this morning to new all time lows and then recovered to go green. That's usually a good sign of bottoming. It was down about 40% from it's IPO day high.

#7486 3 years ago

I thought the squeeze would be tougher on larger companies. NOK just went from 25 billion to 50 billion market cap in minutes. AMC was under a billion, so that was no surprise.

#7489 3 years ago

I just swing trade a little in my Vanguard accounts so all my buying power is concentrated in one place (their trading platform is horrible). I haven't been able to log in for a couple hours now, so I'm just spectating today. I bought a little AFRM on the opening drop, but haven't been able to get back on since.

#7498 3 years ago

Kinda regret those covered calls.....

amc1 (resized).JPGamc1 (resized).JPGamc2 (resized).JPGamc2 (resized).JPG
#7609 3 years ago
Quoted from Barakawins1:

Ah I got in at 7 bux. Not much up from there.

Call premiums for Friday were $2+ when I checked a couple hours ago. Could have sold covered calls and would have been a profitable trade if it closed above $5 Friday.

Still high. $7 calls are $1.62 at this second.

#7615 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

For me, it is not a price, it is market conditions. Not seeing anything that has me nervous right now.
Only thing that is in the back of mind is if AMC does an offering to pay down that 17% note. something for all to consider.

They would be crazy not to do an offering soon.

When the CEO was on CNBC a couple days ago he mentioned maybe loans being converted to shares.

#7636 3 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Well if we have another 4x night/morning do we wake up to 80? How insane would that be.

Or it slaps everyone around and does a 1/4 night.

#7653 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

On PINS, I expect it to rally back into earnings and post another great number with the tailwinds FB referenced. Then again, no guarantees.

I sold a few $55 puts on PINS at the close today for next Friday. Low risk, and it will get me in at about $52.50 if does drop that far in a week.

#7664 3 years ago
Quoted from tacshose:

I couldn't handle the stress so i sold all my GME @ $346.45, BB@25.10, and [email protected]

Sounds like you handled it fine. I would have sold at $20, $5, and $5.

#7710 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I can't wait to watch this market crash like it hasn't done in years. Always good to cash out right before it does. I got all my eggs in the basket I want them in now. Then when it does bottom out, it might be time to buy something again. If anything is left.
That should wake a few people up anyway.

Like it hasn't done since last March? When you last posted here and cashed out everything? No need to be jealous of the traders making money here.

#7715 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I'm never jealous of those making money. Nor does it bother me when then lose a bunch of money. It's the way the markets work. You can win and you can lose.
I had to cash in an annuity of mom's at the time because it annuitized and it hurt. Oh, and they couldn't process it until the day it it hit bottom. And that really hurt. Now, I want to be on the other side of the equation, so I can feel a little better.
And I should have bought oil when they were giving it away.

Fair enough. I’d like to buy cheaper too. I play both short and long equally, but shorting feels dirty sometimes.

#7771 3 years ago
Quoted from athenspin:

Sooo, my robinhood account says I can close my positions in AMC and GameStop but I Can’t buy more with a caution sign????

I would think you just can't buy it on Margin. If you have the money to buy, you should be able to buy it.

I also don't understand why anybody uses Robinhood these days when trading is free everywhere. It made sense when they were free and others weren't.

#7775 3 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Anyone know anything about a "Good faith violation". I did an ACH yesterday and sold a few shares of stock. I then bought a few shares of GME. From what I'm reading, I'm not allowed to sell that stock until at least Friday.
Is that right? I'm totally confused with this crap.

If you don't have a margin account, you can't buy and sell with unsettled funds. It takes like 3 days for funds from a sale to settle. Do it enough times and they'll restrict your account.

#7779 3 years ago

But I can do it this time and get a warning or something? I don't want to miss the wagon. I bought AMC too.

Once in a while should be fine. It's like daytrading. If you don't have $25k and a margin account, you can't buy and sell the same stock on the same day more than a couple times a week or something or you'll get restricted.

#7782 3 years ago

The SPAC crowd sure went silent recently. That was no match for short-crushing mania.

#7797 3 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

16 is around 20??? That's some stretchy math.

It was over 20 when I woke up a couple hours ago.

#7804 3 years ago

AMC down to 11 and GME down from 500+ to 275 on the restrictions.

#7814 3 years ago

This would be entertaining. It was enough to spike Silver 4% this morning.

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/reddit-rebellion-about-descend-precious-metals-market

#7815 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

This is complete market manipulation and rigged. I am going to see where things stabilize once we open and will make decisions based upon that. These restrictions do have a material impact on things and could have wider reaching ramifications other than just these shorted stocks.

I'd expect the hedge funds favorite longs to bounce hard today if they got the short losses under control.

#7902 3 years ago
Quoted from Friengineer:

Anybody super long on XOM? Or other o oil or energy stocks? Thoughts on Biden's energy plans?

Yep, been long XOM for about a year. Collecting the nice divs.

#7904 3 years ago

I think AMC still has a story. The shares they issued were to people converting loans, so that's all debt wiped away. I bought in just now at 7.40 and then sold $10 calls expiring tomorrow for $1.50.

And those people got their shares at $13.50, so they obviously think that's a good deal or they wouldn't have taken those in exchange for their loans.

#7927 3 years ago

I didn't really understand the NOK hype, as they didn't have a large short percentage. I bought yesterday, but with the calls I sold, my cost basis is essentially $4.60-4.75. Break even at this point. I could see it dropping as low as $3.80-4.00, or flying again. Flip a coin on that one. Earnings next week could help.

#7948 3 years ago

For all its limitations as a trading platform, Vanguard hasn't blocked trading in any stock or option that I've tried. They cater more to long term index fund purchasers investing their retirement accounts, so maybe they expect their users to be adults and take responsibility for their trades.

They have no premarket trading and a very limited after market session, so that's the biggest drawback I've found. Keeps me from doing something stupid sometimes.

#7967 3 years ago

Looking forward to when this thread gets back on track to investing ....

Wait what? This has always been a "trading" thread, not investing. Except when investingdad shows up. It's just that the trades changed from days/weeks to minutes.

#7983 3 years ago
Quoted from investingdad:

I try to bring a balanced and pragmatic view to investing in the markets so that people that don't know what they're doing, or worse.... think they know what they're doing, don't come here, read selective posts, think it's easy, and get their asses handed to them.
Then, to make it worse, they AVOID saving and investing at all going forward because they lost money and think it's impossible to beat the big guys... failing to understand that's it not a competition at all.
Many are under the mistaken impression that the path to wealth is fast and a few clicks on the trading button. I've always advocated an approach that takes time but will lead to a seven figure (or more) portfolio...I mean, people like the idea of having that kind of wealth level, right?
I don't push the "fast money, STONKS LOL" approach... that's true. But I know what my Quicken balances tell me and how I got there.
Sticking with a simple plan works when times are both bad and good.
To each their own. Carry on.

I was giving you props. I wish I'd just bought index funds for the last 20 years. I'd have 3x or more what I do now.

#8195 3 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

but who's buying $13 shares when the stock was way less and everyone knows this week was just a pump and dump?

People than loaned them 600 million took shares in exchange of having the loan repaid. They either sold them already or believe it's worth more than $13.50.

#8290 3 years ago
Quoted from DadofTwins:

This the correct XSPA?
[quoted image]

I wouldn't go near XSPA. I day traded it for about a week back 3 or 4 years ago. Last I knew their business model was spas in airports. Accounting for reverse splits, it looks like they are down about 98% since then.

#8391 3 years ago

Today is playing out pretty much how I expected. Longs like Apple are getting sold off because of the huge losses in the most shorted stocks. If the reddit gang keeps this going for a few weeks, I think we'll see a mini market crash.

#8708 3 years ago

Well that sucks. Maybe I should stick to crypto. Sell something, wait 5 minutes, but it back, wait 5 minutes, sell it again. No restrictions since it settles within minutes and sometimes seconds.
I thought I might be able to get in on what's probably going to be a roller coaster today, but I guess not.

You can do it, just don't do it more than 3 times this week.

#8712 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

(Just to clarify)
3 times in 12 months will put you in the box for 90 days.

Nah. It's as Wolfmarsh said.

The SEC collaborated with the NYSE and NASD to determine a “Pattern Day Trader”, as one who executes four or more round trips in a rolling 5-business day period in a margin account.

#8719 3 years ago

Never seen a stock frenzy like this in my 25 years of investing.
So many newbies that really don't understand what they are doing and the potential consequences.
I have employees trading stocks and asking me questions - never had that happen ever
Sadly, this is going to end very poorly for a lot of people

1999-2000 was pretty similar. That was my first year out of college, so I didn't participate, but I watched it daily and all my co-workers were talking about it.

I saw some of it starting up about this time last year, before the pandemic shut up all the new daytraders in my office. People were opening accounts with $200 and buying far out of the money call options.

#8721 3 years ago

I remember waiting and watching Ask Jeeves IPO. I think they were up 500% at one point on their opening day. I used their site quite a bit as an alternative to google.

#8732 3 years ago
Quoted from Trogdor:

Not worried about wash sales?

There's no wash sales on profits.

#8735 3 years ago

Yeah, I thought that was just on losses within a 30 day time period?

Even on a loss, it's not a big deal. Your cost basis just gets adjusted. You don't lose the loss, it just carries forward.

#8759 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

For fun I tried to sell some March out of the money covered calls in NOK via TD Ameritrade.
Nope. Nada. Not even via calling into a broker. They will not allow me to sell options on shares I own.
(Also my account is in good standing. It’s not a new account. Etc)

That's disturbing. I have covered calls on all my positions at Vanguard, including AMC and NOK from late last week.

#8857 3 years ago

I sold out of all my AMC positions yesterday a couple hours before close. I had covered calls on everything and holding through the end of the week was risking several dollars per share on the shares to squeeze out the last 30 cents per share on the calls. Wasn't worth the risk. Overall made about $7500 trading it, but if I had never sold the calls and just ridden the shares up to 18-20, I would have made 6 figures.

Only other reddit position I traded was NOK, which I still have. Bought around $6, sold $10 calls and bought those back the next day for about $2/share gain. Sold $6 calls on them after that. Doubled share position at $5 and sold $5 calls on those. Overall it looks like I could sell out of everything this morning for about $1k total gains, or risk holding until Friday through earnings and end up somewhere between break even and $2k gain. I'll probably close out and move on.

It was fun while it lasted.

For core holdings, I doubled my XOM positions yesterday. Fundamentals are improving rapidly, earnings this morning, and it had dropped from $51->$45 in a week or so. 8% dividend payer.

Should have sold my WBA last week when they popped 10% on the new CEO news. It gave all that pop back already. Sold some puts on that yesterday that could potentially double my position there. I like where they are headed.

Said I liked and picked up AFRM at $102 and it's up to $108. Out of my PTON and DASH shorts. Both lost money on the shares, but both made enough selling weekly puts for a few weeks to make up for the loss and then some. Stressful trading that way.

#8858 3 years ago

If AMC gets down around $8 and the call premiums are $2+, I might give it another go. I didn't see it dropping this much in extended hours.

#8861 3 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

I'm waiting for $7. Can you explain a little about your call premiums target? How far out are you looking on the chain?

Usually the same week or the next week. Depending on the difference in premiums, I might sell them right at the price I bought the shares, just hoping to make 100% gains on the options and nothing on the shares if I'm lucky. If each dollar higher on the calls is only like 10 cents less in premium, I might go out 2-4 dollars. In that case maybe I could make $4/share on the shares and $1.50/share on the calls if the stock went up $4.

I try to make it so worst case I don't lose. If the shares are $8 and the calls are $2, it would have to go under $6 to lose overall. And if it does, I usually hold the shares and sell more calls for the next week. I've been doing this strategy with longs + calls and shorts + puts for a few months now and haven't lost yet. At some point, a stock will stop going up or stop going down and I'll come out ahead I hope. I did this with shorting PTON for about 6 weeks. Overall I lost about $5000 on the short, but I collected about $6500 in premiums on the puts I was selling to protect the short.

#8862 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

If you like decent call premiums, have a look at KODK and WISH. I have been writing calls on KODK for about six months now and doing quite well. On my third contract already.

I'll look at WISH. KODK scares me. It was worthless until that Trump tweet or whatever spiked it last year.

I really want to try POSH, but 3 weeks after the IPO there's still no options. It IPO'd the same day as WOOF and WOOF had options in under a week.

#8871 3 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

AMC in the 8's...Edit: In the 7's
Meme stocks taking a beating early. AMC, GME, NOK, NAKD, BB way down

Yep. I bought 1500 at 7.75 and sold 15 $8 calls for $2.25. Think they were next Friday expiration. So that puts the basis at $5.50 for break even. If it drops another dollar or two I'll double up.

Dumped all the NOK positions. They were in a SEP IRA I just started a couple years ago. Not much in it. Made $780 overall on that trade.

#8872 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Really like this strategy. I am trying to keep to call spreads this year and try to make a few $k a month. Do you ever do call spread instead of buying the underlying shares? That way you protect your downside risk and a lot of the in the money calls have very little time premiums so basically the same as buying the underlying shares. I also am doing a lot of covered calls for some of my long holdings. Thanks.

Nah. I haven't read enough to research all the different option strategies. Collars, spreads, straddles, etc. I know they exist, but don't know what they mean. I'm not sure my Vanguard account even supports them. I'll stick with simple strategies I know.

#8875 3 years ago
Quoted from captainadam_21:

Do you have a book you recommend for learning puts and calls and options?

I've never read a book solely devoted to options, but I've read about 20 investing and trading books and most at least dedicate a chapter or two to options.

For me:

If I want to own a stock a bit lower than it currently is, I sell a put at that level. If it gets there, it forces me to buy it, if not I collect the premiums.

If I want to own a stock now, I buy it and sell covered calls at a higher price if it's something I want to own for a while or at the current price if it's a quick trade.

If I want to short a stock, I short it and sell puts at the current price or a little lower. That protects me against the short going against me, but limits the gains to pretty much the premium of the put.

Thinking about buying a bunch of value dividend payers in my retirement accounts and selling calls on them all to get extra income that way.

What I never do is buy out of the money calls. Yes you can make a fortune on them if you're right, but you can easily lose it all too. It doesn't make sense to me to buy something that has to go up 20% in a year just to break even as the premium decays.

#8890 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

As an example, instead of buy AMC, you could have bought the Feb 5 $5 call for $2.22 and sold the $6.50 call for $1.37. So your net cost is $0.85. As long as the shares are above $5.85 on Friday, you don't loss. If you buy the shares instead, you have a full $6.50 at risk (at the current price) vs $0.85. Your return is actually higher as well at $0.65/$0.85 or 76% for 3 days.

Yah I figured it was something like that. I only have level 2 options approval on Vanguard, so I can't sell calls without owning the shares. I'm guessing if I applied for level 3 then I could do the spreads.

#8893 3 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Lot of pressure trying to hold them. Unfortunately the lunch dip is about to happen, so I wouldn't be surprised to see them fall again.

Robinhood just increased their share limits, so the gang can buy again. Not sure it's enough to help.

#8911 3 years ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

Looks like the real money in AMC and GME was shorting it when it peaked. It was a fun ride but I think it’s over. I bought Sea LimitEd a few days ago and it has been good to me so far. It is expensive but I feel it has good growth potential.

How so? Buy $50 and it goes to $500, you made 10x your money.
Short at $500 and it goes to $50, you didn't even double your money.

#8933 3 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

You need to be able to sell at $500.00 .
If you put in a limit order to execute at $500.00 all it does is put your trade "in play". With volatile stocks like this, you could see your actual sell price to barely get a Benjamin per share.

I was using that as a concrete example as it did get to $500 in the premarket. I think $483 was the high during regular hours. You would have gotten either if you were watching and sold at those times.

#8944 3 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I think some were not allowing options on GME/AMC, but don't know if that is still the case.

Yep, some were only allowing it by phone. And all brokers will need you to get approved for different levels of option trading. Took 3-4 days per account when I added those to my vanguard accounts.

#8975 3 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

Yep. I bought 1500 at 7.75 and sold 15 $8 calls for $2.25. Think they were next Friday expiration. So that puts the basis at $5.50 for break even. If it drops another dollar or two I'll double up.
Dumped all the NOK positions. They were in a SEP IRA I just started a couple years ago. Not much in it. Made $780 overall on that trade.

Went ahead and closed this out. Volatility dropped while the stock stayed around where I bought it. +$290. Better than a sharp stick in the eye.

Feels like AMC is just going to drift lower from here, but if there's another big move I'll put on a similar position again.

#8979 3 years ago

My CCIV is up over 33% today on speculation of a merger with LUCID. In at 23.65 last week, at 33.86 now. Best stock day ever (so far).

Those things just aren't for me. Essentially you're buying $10 bills for $34 and a dream right?

#9066 3 years ago
Quoted from Parzival:

What does everyone think about the viability/sustainability of day trading? I work from home full time (lots of time to monitor), and have always kept quite a bit of cash in savings (which gets basically nothing in interest).
I recently put 30K into my TD account, and have been doing some simple trades. My thought is to monitor a series of stocks, and day trade one or multiple of them a day depending on trends/market conditions. By doing so, the goal would be to make a couple hundred dollars (or more) more days than I lose a couple hundred or so dollars. I wouldn't plan on holding long term, just round-trips.
I'm relatively young (33), only debt is a mortgage, and have separate retirement accounts. Thoughts/advice?

I've tried it. I've read countless books on daytrading, technical analysis, indicators, etc. I'd have real time charts with indicators going on 3 monitors at once. I'd watch channels, VWAP, falling/rising wedges, support/resistance, moving averages, etc. I found I was great at making $100 10 times in a row, then losing $1500 in one quick wrong trade.

#9068 3 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

What about setting conservative stop losses to catch wrong moves after that analysis to mitigate losses?

Maybe, but if you set it too conservative, like 1-2%, it's going to get hit on normal price fluctuations. Too many times I saw a stop get hit exactly on the number, then reverse hard the other way.

#9071 3 years ago

I think there's some absolute rules you must follow to be successful daytrading. Never ever add to a losing position. Don't go "I'm down 5%, if I just double down, it only has to get half that back and I'll be even overall and I promise I'll get out and never do it again". If you really day trade, never hold a position overnight. Too many uncertainties. That 1% chance of something bad happening will get you eventually.

#9114 3 years ago

iceman44 curious about your thoughts on POSH and a good entry point

Ebay earnings just now were great. Could potentially give a hint on POSH.

#9125 3 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Are you factoring in contract fees for options? I don't trade them but was curious what kind of bite they make.

They’re like $1 each.

#9127 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Just wanted to give you guys an idea of how you can make money with options.
Specifically I 'sell' 'puts' on a stock I'd like to own, or wouldn't mind owning.
*** this is not financial advice, this is just an example ***
Here is an example:
Suppose you wanted to buy Pins (Pintrest)
The price today is $77.14 so to buy 100 shares would cost you $7714
you can buy the shares and you are now 'long in the stock' meaning you own the shares and if they go up or down you gain or lose money.
You can SELL a PUT Pins @$77.50 March 5, 2010 for $8 ----> this is one month away
Options are for 100 shares of a stock you you get $8 x 100 or $800.00 (Cash paid to to you instantly).
Note you would need the money to back up this trade or you would need to be in a Margin account to cover the cost of the shares if they were to execute.
A few things can happen
1) Pins goes up and is higher than $77.5 on Mar 5 you would do nothing, not buy the shares but keep the $800 (this is going to be taxed as short term gains if in a taxable account).
1b) you can repeat this for next month and get another $800 or whatever the option contract is selling at.
2) Pins stays below $77.5 and you have to buy 100 shares (they are PUT to you) you don't have to do anything the broker will just make the sale happen as if you had an order. **** You have to pay $77.5/share or $7750 to buy but you already pocketed $800 so the net cost is $6950 for 100 shares or $69.50/share. You 'saved' $764 (minus taxes).
3) you can buy back the Put before the expiration date it might cost you more or less than $8/share this is called Buy to close. Some people will buy back the put once it makes some money like if it goes to $3/share in a week because Pins went higher (less likely to execute) than you can pay $300 and be out of the position.
In a sense you get a discount on the shares from today's price of $77.14
Now you say the stock can go down in a month and maybe they are selling for $66 and you have to pay $77.5/share so you are getting a screw job if the stock goes down, but the point is if you bought them today you would be long in the stock and you would accept any share decline anyway. The shares have to go below $69.14/share for you to lose money (this is the $8/share premium you were paid) so even if the shares go down some say to $74.14 you would still have made $500 in the transaction.
Note that the price I quoted was not accurate (Pins is a bit higher than my example) but this was an example and prices change all the time, as the stock price change so do the option prices.

You pretty much describe exactly what I do. I’ve been doing that for about a year and made more than the previous 10 years combined with just stocks.

#9130 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

True true but when you trade cheap stocks like GE when it was single digits you might trade 20 or 40 options at the strike price so you would have to buy 2000 or 4000 shares of GE but the option is $1 each so you would be paying $20 or $40 dollars for example.
Note this is Etrade others may have different prices.
Please note you should try this out on paper (I think WeBull has a mock trade area where you can pretend trade not with real money to see how it goes, I am not sure have not tried it).

True. I mostly do it with stocks in the $50-125 range.

#9136 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

BEWARE all who enter.
Options look peachy when the stock market is rising but if you had a stretch like we had in the early part of the year or in 2008/9 when stocks got murdered you might find yourself buying a shit ton of stocks in 100 bunches. However that's not great because you will be buying at more than the stocks are worth but also you will be forced to buy when there is blood in the streets. I had to buy like 800 of AAPL stocks this year when it was in the $80 at the time I didn't like to but it turned out smashing because the recovery was so quick.

Definitely risky. I would/do only use this strategy with stuff I wouldn't mind owning anyway. I got burned when I first started it by selling like 5 SPY $300 puts right before the pandemic. I was forced to buy 500 shares at $290ish when it was all the way down in the low 200s. Thankfully I had enough saved back that I could basically double down at the lows. That and it was SPY, so you know eventually it will recover.

#9379 3 years ago
Quoted from athenspin:

As far as a reopening turnaround play that pays a dividend Walgreens boot alliance. Opened a position about a month ago and have been adding a bit. I know the business has been hammered the last few years but with the V shot and reopening I’m thinking they could turn that business back around. At least in the near future.

I've been bringing this up for months. My biggest and longest held position. They popped 10+% a couple weeks ago on the new CEO announcement, then gave all those gains back. Great opportunity there.

I really like XOM too. It's my second biggest dividend play. Oil is going up by the day and is at 52 week highs. Last time oil was this high, XOM was around 70, but it's only 50 now. Activists are going after it to unlock value, they talked about merging with Chevron (which would never happen IMO), and eventually they'll move into cleaner energy. Their latest oil finds they are working on are profitable down to like $30/barrel oil. Oh and the dividend is 7+%

#9418 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

So I may make it back to even one day with an average cost of $69US

My initial buy was $66, but I kept buying all the way down to $33 or so. Some shares I swing traded for profits, but the remaining shares I cost averaged down to about $50 (plus collected 4 quarters of juicy dividends).

It was $45 just 5 days ago, now $52. Feels like that was the final dip.

#9503 3 years ago
Quoted from TRAMD:

Well shit...I guess I violated a trade rule (selling securities before they were paid for) too many times on Fidelity and am not allowed to buy securities with unsettled cash for 90 days. Yikes! I guess it's sell or HODL or wait to buy for me for 3 months. I am so angry with myself that I didn't check my messages warning me. I guess I have never checked those messages on banking apps because they were always worthless. Lesson learned. Learn from my mistakes and don't be me.

I'm guessing you can upgrade to a margin account if you have $25k balance and get rid of that 90 day restriction.

#9507 3 years ago

UTZ has been a quiet winner.
Not a flashy tech stock or meme stock, but up 50% since Nov. - not bad for potato chips

My kid ate about 30 bags of their red hot chips in that time, so you can thank him. But he got tired of them a couple weeks ago. We have 6 unopened bags in the kitchen. Time to sell....

#9601 3 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

I just tried a limit order on a bullshit stock I had. The damn thing sold instantly! I set it so if it hit 13 to sell (Had it at 13.67) just to practice and it sold! Unless I’m doing something wrong?

Was 13 less than the current price? If so, it would have sold instantly. You want limits set higher than the current price.

#9603 3 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

I think he was trying to set a Stop Limit and accidentally selected Limit.

Sounds like it. Can stops be used in afterhours trading? I never tried. Seems they'd be easy to hit on a stock with large spreads.

#9605 3 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

I was trying to prevent losses by selling the stock if it hit 13 bucks after hours. It was at 13.67 and I used limit and Yes, After going back I messed up (another rookie mistake) and used Limit.
So which one do I use next time?
[quoted image]

Keep in mind stops won't protect you overnight. Some people have a stock at $100, set a stop at $95, then bad earnings cause the stock to open the next day at $80. They think they were saved because they had a $95 stop, but that won't help when the stock gaps down overnight.

#9610 3 years ago
Quoted from Palmer:

Is that true for every broker? I've been using Webull where I can trade after hours and before open. Unfortunately I cannot set a trailing stop order that is good til canceled. Meaning, it expires once the day is over. Would really like to set a trailing stop on some of these penny stocks I am investing in. Once they get up to a profit margin that I like, I want to set a trailing stop of say 10% that is good til canceled.

They might work in after hours, but they definitely won't work between when after hours closes and premarket opens the next day. Stocks can instantly gap up or down during after hours though. Earnings can come out at 4:15 and cause a stock to move 10% instantly, so a stop won't help if it's somewhere in that range that gets skipped over.

1 week later
#9932 3 years ago
Quoted from JerryM:

Saw on another forum that ark is buying the dip on PLTR. 1.6m shares. Can anyone confirm? I’m not sure how to validate.

They send a daily e-mail with their transactions. I get it. Yes they bought PLTR.

#9938 3 years ago
Quoted from Lamberger:

Bought some fsly today.

Bit of a gamble with earnings after the bell.

#9945 3 years ago

Bought some WOOF (new lows after IPO), POSH (down from over 80 to under 70 in less than a week, near all time lows), AAPL, and PLTR today. Sold covered calls on all but POSH since it still has no options.

AFRM has gone from 146 to 111 in a week since earnings. I've flipped it a couple times. Starting to get back down to my buy range, but I'd like to see it at least under 105. Looking at PINS too. I had 300 last week, but they got called away Friday.

#9952 3 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Oh, I thought it expired yesterday. Thanks!

I think with ARK buying and people following their lead, there's a bit of a backstop on it now. I bought 500 on the open, but sold weekly calls on it. Hoping to capture $850 profit for a 2 day trade.

#9962 3 years ago
Quoted from Lamberger:

fsly just shot up to $100 then back down

Yep. Did you sell on the pop? I bought after it collapsed last earnings and then it went down another $20 from there. I was happy to get out even on that one.

#9979 3 years ago

It typically costs $18 to charge a Tesla at home? I figured it was like $1. I just don't see the electric car revolution working out. I've read there's not enough lithium to make every car electric. Throw in power outages sometimes lasting weeks after ice storms. Hurricane evacuations when the entire population of Florida heads north and there's miles long lines at gas stations. Those will be 100x as bad without gasoline power. I'm hoping for the green revolution someday, but I don't see charging batteries as the solution. Maybe nuclear fission or fusion or something? I guess that's why I don't invest in any of the EV companies.

https://www.zerohedge.com/technology/texas-freeze-raises-cost-charging-tesla-900

#9981 3 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

That's why I'm holding a Uranium ETF

I'm not a huge fan of commodity ETFs with the expenses, and usually they deal in monthly contracts rolling along. Can I just buy and store some physical Uranium like gold/silver?

Looks like uranium is still cheap compared to its peak in 2007.

#9992 3 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

I think with ARK buying and people following their lead, there's a bit of a backstop on it now. I bought 500 on the open, but sold weekly calls on it. Hoping to capture $850 profit for a 2 day trade.

Well this is looking like a dud. It's at 25.15 in the premarket and probably will fall more. Factoring in the covered calls, my cost basis is 26.30, so ideally it will end the week around 26 and I'll sell another weeks worth of calls. Could double down, but my max position on PLTR would be around $25k, so that would be my last shot at it. I think it's too early to make that gamble.

Lockup expiration is more powerful than Mrs Wood....

#9996 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Been saying this since November. Way too many shares are getting ready to hit with a lot of pent-up demand for liquidity. Did the initial IPO run from 10 to the 30's, sold, and just been biding my time. Will be a good long term hold.
Be careful with C3.AI. Its look up ends next month. I always thought it was priced too high and would except that you will get a much better entry point.

From what I've seen on other IPOs, they tend to fall in the week or two leading up to expiration, but once that day arrives they go back up. It's like the selling is done in anticipation of the lockup expiration, but that event actually doesn't make it drop more. Every IPO is different though.

#10004 3 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

Well this is looking like a dud. It's at 25.15 in the premarket and probably will fall more. Factoring in the covered calls, my cost basis is 26.30, so ideally it will end the week around 26 and I'll sell another weeks worth of calls. Could double down, but my max position on PLTR would be around $25k, so that would be my last shot at it. I think it's too early to make that gamble.
Lockup expiration is more powerful than Mrs Wood....

Bought back these calls and sold some for next Friday at the same price. Lowered my basis 80 cents doing that.

#10052 3 years ago
Quoted from Lamberger:

That's very bold, already up over $26. Should have bought more, dam!
Anyone heard from Ice? Hope all is well down in Texas, didn't know it was that bad down there. Need more windmills.

With their 1.5 million buy a couple days ago, it was obvious they'd buy more if it dropped again. That's what they always seem to do with their favorite positions. That was a big buy though. Almost $27 in after hours.

#10069 3 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Or the one from Texas that kept calling Citadel, Site a dale, and though they owned the clearing house.

That was the first one I heard when I got in the car to go home. Made me question how I was saying it....

#10073 3 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

I think I missed the $25 buy back in for PLTR, picked some up at $28.50 this morning. Planning on buying more if it drops again.

Sell some puts, make some money while you wait for it to drop.

#10084 3 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

Gawd why? I'm impressed he held this long, I would have sold half, most or all of it once it broke $300 and retired on the 14 million. Dude definitely likes the attention.

What's it really worth? I mean it's down under $3 billion market cap now. That seems reasonable. Maybe a little high. I've avoided it, but I'm grabbing 200 here and selling covered calls Monday at open. We'll see what happens.

#10090 3 years ago
Quoted from extraballingtmc:

So everyone’s holding pltr until at least $40 right? Or is $35 more realistic?

I must have tissue hands. I'd be happy with $30

#10093 3 years ago

Well it’s almost there in after hours

Sweet. My gains are pretty much maxed at that price. I sold covered calls and kept extending them out. Now they expire 3/5, so I'd like the stock to stay around here for two weeks unless I close out early. I booked about $1000 profit on the calls I closed out already, but I'd lose about $500 if I closed out Monday morning on the remaining position. As the premium decays, that should turn into an extra $500 profit instead of $500 loss if the stock stays above 28. Also sold some $26 puts I'd profit on or double my position with if they get exercised.

#10096 3 years ago
Quoted from DadofTwins:

I REALLY wish I could wrap my mind around how all of this works. Seems like you are making a killing every week, whether it's straight up trades or the more complicated scenarios like you describe here.

I wouldn't say that, but it's doing ok for me since I started doing it towards the end of last year. Different personalities trade different ways. Buy and hold just doesn't fit for me, but neither does daytrading and watching every tick. Other people here say how they buy something at 20 and now it's at 60. I just try to capture 5-10% moves with position sizes of $10k-20k. If I can average $1k/profit a week I'm happy. I spent 20 years failing at trading while it seemed everybody else was getting rich. I'm up about 40k in 4 months since I started using calls and puts with all my stock positions. It gives me a buffer if I guess wrong on which way a stock is going to go, but it also limits gains. I'm ok with that. It's working now, but whenever you think you win the game, they change the rules.

#10097 3 years ago
Quoted from DadofTwins:

I REALLY wish I could wrap my mind around how all of this works. Seems like you are making a killing every week, whether it's straight up trades or the more complicated scenarios like you describe here.

Here's roughly what I did on PLTR:

On 2/17, it had already fallen a bunch and ARK had just bought in, so I thought it was a good buy.

I bought 500 shares at 28, but sold 5 $28 calls that would expire on 2/19 for $1.70 each. If I held them for two days, that meant I'd profit $1.70 x 500, or $850 as long as the stock ended the week anywhere over $28. Even if it was $50, I could only make $850 because I'd be forced to sell at $28.

If the stock was below 28, the $1.70 per share meant it could fall as low as $26.30 without me losing anything.

It fell to around $26.50 and the calls quickly dropped in value to like $0.40, so I bought them back, making $1.30 * 500 = $650 on that portion of the trade (but my shares were down $1.50 so I was down $750 on them and down overall).

I immediately sold 5 more $28 calls expiring a week later (2/26). They were worth $1.33. The stock proceeded to keep dropping to $25 and those calls dropped to $0.80 like an hour after I sold them. Good enough for me, so I bought those back for a quick ($0.53 * 500) gain.

So I'm chasing the stock down with the options, keeping the original shares, but sort of lowering the basis with each option trade. I immediately sold 5 more calls. This time $27 strike expiring 3/9 for $1.71 each. My thought process on that is that I've already recorded $900+ in gains and if the stock is above $27 on 3/9, I'll be forced to sell at $27 ($1 less than I paid), but the $1.71 effectively means I'm getting $28.71 on them and making another $350 profit.

So if the stock is at $27 on 3/9, I'm out with a $1250 overall gain, even though I initially bought the shares at $28.

If the stock keeps going down, I keep booking profits on the option sales and chasing it down with more options. The only thing I'm doing is losing time. If the stock starts going up, I just wait out the clock, take my profits, and move on to the next trade.

The biggest risk on this strategy would be if the stock moved down like 50% overnight because of bad earnings or something. Then it would move too fast for me to keep up with.

Hopefully that makes sense. I majored in computer science and minored in math and physics. I was really into probability and statistics and this kind if trading seems to resonate with that for me.

#10100 3 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

Do you own the underlying, or are you running calendars/diagonals?

On this strategy I buy the shares and sell the calls. I know you can do more complicated things like call spreads and potentially make more with less on directional moves, but I try to keep it simple.

I feel like the market is way too high, so I'm probably 80% in cash at all times, using the other 20% for these trades that typically last a few days to a month tops.

I've been doing just the opposite on stocks that I feel are too high and worth shorting. I'll short 100 shares at say $150, and sell a $150 put for $5-10. That buys me $5-10 of protection if the short goes against me, but limits the gains to $5-10 as well. Those have burned me a bit on short squeezes in PTON and SNOW, but I kept using the same strategy of closing/reopening options and waiting for the squeeze to finish out and the stock to drop back. This is a bit more dangerous. If I'd done it with Gamestop, it would have crushed me.

#10112 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

I am kind of trying the same strategy this year but instead of buying the underlying shares, I am buying in the money calls and selling out of the money or at the money calls, more of a short duration. It involves a lot less capital up front in case the underlying share price drops substantially. Here is an example:
Feb 16 I bought SOS $10 Feb 19 call for $2.69 and sold the $12.50 call for $1.70. So my net cost was $0.99 for the trade and if the stock was above $12.50 on Friday, I could make $2.50-$0.99 or $1.51 or 152% for a three day trade.
On Friday when the stock was trading around $11.80, I bought back the $12.50 call for $0.25 and sold the $10 call for $1.82. So I made $1.45 on the $12.50 call and lost $0.87 on the $10 call for a net gain of $0.58 or $58%. I did not achieve my optimal profit on the trade as the share price was not over $12.50 when I closed the trade.
Just some ideas to think about versus writing covered calls.

That's a good strategy as well. I have all my accounts consolidated at Vanguard and I don't have the option to sell any calls that aren't covered. It may be that they allow it with Level 3 option trading (I only requested level 2). Or they may not allow it at all since they're more of a buy and hold mutual fund place.

#10147 3 years ago
Quoted from TRAMD:

So what are people buying today? I am thinking about getting back in on FVRR, PINS or PSTH.

FSLY is down $45 in 2 weeks. Don't know if it's cheap or not. I've been swing trading 200 shares of POSH for a few weeks. Buy around 69, sell 72-74. It works until it doesn't, but it's worked 4 times so far. Bought today to try for a fifth.

#10148 3 years ago

I did a market order this morning on Vanguard a minute after the market opened. It didn't execute for almost 120 seconds. That's scary, most brokerages guarantee order execution of market orders in like a second.

#10150 3 years ago

Interesting day with the DOW up 40 points, S&P down 0.5%, and Nasdaq down almost 2%.

#10231 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

I don't follow CCIV but what happened? Down 35% pre-market, crazy.

People were paying $60 for $10 in cash and the hopes Lucid was worth a fortune. The final deal came through and it wasn't valued nearly what people were wishing for.

#10236 3 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

I wonder how the Tesla flock us spinning the downward trend?
Hold the phone; "Tesla Joy" and "Elon's Brain" are tweeting responses....

Knowing TSLA, it will finish green today. ARK bought yesterday and I'd bet they buy more today with the big drop.

I think it's worth about 1/10 what the stock is at, but value doesn't matter with this one.

#10371 3 years ago

Knew I should have kept those 200 I bought Friday at $42. Sold them Monday at $46.

#10378 3 years ago
Quoted from captainadam_21:

I tried to sell at $190 but I had a stop order I placed before the close of the day. I can't cancel after hours so I can't sell. Nooooo

Can you short the same number of shares you are long? Then you can close both positions tomorrow.

#10393 3 years ago

I closed out all my PLTR positions earlier this week for $834 overall gain on them. Thinking of having another go at it now that it's almost $3 less than where I started.

Also took a stab at TSLA the day before the big fall. Took almost a $2k loss on that one. If I'd held it one more day I actually would have made about $5k gain instead. Too volatile for me. I lose almost every time I try to trade that one from the short or long side.

#10395 3 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Bought a bunch of PLTR at $26 yesterday, have limit at $25 for another 100 if it goes there.

Yah I went ahead and jumped in. Bought 1000, but sold 3/5 $26.50 calls for $1.20 each. So I won't lose unless it drops down under $24.50 somewhere (which it very well could).

#10421 3 years ago

EBAY and PINS blew away earnings the last couple weeks, ETSY did it today, yet POSH is 50% off its IPO day high. That one has me stumped. I still have the 200 I bought a few days ago at 69 and I bought 200 more today near the lows. Not going crazy with it, but it sure seems like a reasonable buy in this environment with its competitors doing so well. Still wish they had options so I could sell covered calls. They announced their earnings date for second week of March.

#10429 3 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

ARK sold about 880k shares of PINS today.

ARK seems to be selling their quality stocks to double down on junk. They've been selling Apple, Google, and Amazon and buying more Tesla the last few days. That worked for them last year, but it's not a good strategy.

#10432 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

I know a lot of folks follow her closely but I personally see Ark as a more flavor of the month type thing. We shall see.

Publishing her positions daily makes it awfully easy for hedge funds to gang up and teach her a lesson.

#10457 3 years ago

So glad I bought at almost 28 lol.

What was that, like two days ago?

I'm in at about 25.50. I sold some calls, bought them back near the lows, then sold some more when it bounced today. All things considered, my basis would be around 23.50 in a couple weeks when the premium on the calls decays. Hoping it (and other positions) don't drop too far too fast.

#10460 3 years ago

Question; settled funds, if I sell a stock on Monday will it settle Wednesday morning or end of day Wednesday? Does selling it Monday morning, afternoon or after hours Monday make a difference?

Been a while since I worried about that, but I think if you sell anytime Monday, the funds aren't settled for trading until Thursday. Time of day doesn't matter for sure.

#10473 3 years ago

ARK bought another 3.3 million shares of PLTR. Sold more Apple, PINS, etc.

#10479 3 years ago
Quoted from Kingpin22:

So that's where all that TWD $ is going, smart move! I hope you double up loneacer!

Ha. I'm small fish. I only have 1000 shares. I keep looking at that empty spot in my front room and thinking another pin would look nice there.

#10515 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Also bonds are paying very little that’s driving money into stocks as well.

"Little", but they briefly surpassed the S&P 500 dividend rate last week. That's what spooked a lot of investors. When bonds start paying more than stocks again, there's an alternative for investors.

#10608 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

I added some AI today as well.

You said 80s. It's not 80s!

#10646 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

I was correct that SNOW's lockup period expires tomorrow. Might be interesting to see where it lands after everything shakes loose. From CNBC:
Snowflake (SNOW) – Snowflake lost nearly $199 million in the fourth quarter, more than double the year-ago loss for the cloud database software company. Revenue more than doubled as well during the quarter, topping consensus forecasts. Following a record initial public offering for a software company last year, the lockup on the sale of insider shares will expire tomorrow.

They've had multiple lockup expirations. I was trading it a bit back before Christmas when a small one occurred. Tomorrow is the big one though.

#10653 3 years ago

Either Powell mentions operation twist in a couple hours and the high growth stocks that have dropped lately surge, or he doesn't and they fall off a cliff. Place your bets?

#10657 3 years ago

High quality, beaten down, value stocks are up this week (at least mine are). XOM is up a lot. It's the tech stocks that were ridiculously overvalued that are coming back to earth.

#10882 3 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

I sold my GME at $72 thinking it was a $20 stock and trying to stop my bleeding. It was what, $140 a few days ago?
I’m done selling things for now. Only buy.

$215 at the moment. I only traded them once for a quick overnight trade. I took them off my watchlist so I'm no longer tempted to touch them.

#11015 3 years ago

I sold out a few of my high growth tech stocks last week for pretty steep losses, but I wasn't going to hold them and give up all of this years gains. However I immediately put that money and more into QQQ and Apple, plus 500 PINS in my IRA. Made about half the losses back so far, but I would have made it almost all back if I had kept the original positions.

#11292 3 years ago

After riding it down and buying in even more I have but one thing to say... CCIV!

Wish I had your guts. I'd have sold at break even.

#11314 3 years ago

Today is going about how I expected. Market is on edge with the Fed meeting tomorrow. I'm sitting around 90% cash waiting for the next big freak out. Still holding my losers and the Apple I picked up a couple weeks back, and went in on 1000 MAC just now. Might finally dabble in some AI. Seems low enough.

#11356 3 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

Buying more TDOC

I bought 100 this morning too, and sold a covered call on it. I've only traded TDOC once before, a couple months back.

#11360 3 years ago
Quoted from DadofTwins:

Still think it's a smart buy after the downgrade and Amazon progress in this field?

I don't know that the Amazon news will affect them much. Personally I've never been a fan of TDOC and don't believe they'll have nearly this high of a valuation in the future, but I was buying it for a 1-2 week trade.

It's up $3 from where I bought it, but I expected a bigger bounce. I might close it before the Fed meeting results in 90 minutes.

#11361 3 years ago

Sold a couple april $75 AI puts for $6 each. Will get me in at about $69/share if I'm assigned, or up to $1200 profit if it's above $75 in a month.

#11366 3 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

No doubt - my screen just turned mostly green in a matter of minutes

Yep fairly dovish Fed release. Now it depends on what Powell says.

#11422 3 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Well then, no sense buying now. May be best to dump what I have and buy on the 42nd sale price....

Sell calls against your position. I bought 500 Apple 2-3 weeks ago. I've been selling calls on the pops and buying them back on the drops. My shares are down about $5000, but I've banked $4850 in gains on the calls so it's like I lowered my basis $10/share.

1 week later
#11710 3 years ago

CCIV! (did I do that right @sataneatscheese)?

A lot of the selling this week is quarterly rebalancing for balanced funds. They have to sell stocks and buy bonds to keep their balance at their target.

#11814 3 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

ArkX what’s the launch estimate?

Depends on the weather

#11909 3 years ago

Where in the hell do I go to learn this stuff? Did I miss taking the right class in college or something?

The thing about a strategy is that it works for a while until the market catches on, then it doesn't work anymore. There's no technical analysis you can follow that always works.

Proper risk management will keep you from blowing up your account when your strategy fails though.

#11914 3 years ago
Quoted from LITZ:

Here are some links to the most influential and relevant information I have found in terms of trading. PTJ bought up all the VHS copies of this PBS documentary and destroyed them. Lucky for us this vid keeps getting re-uploaded on YT after he has it removed.

Larry Hite is a total badass!

Books: search for the title with PDF and download for free.
How to Trade in Stocks - Jesse Livermore
How I made 2M in the Stock Mkt - Darvas
Secrets to profiting in bull and bear markets - Stan Weinstein
Okay, that's all folks! I will leave you in peace. Hope at least one of you Pinsiders dedicates their life to trading and makes tons of FU money!

You're making tens of thousands a day, but won't spend $10 for the books to support the authors (their families since they are dead)? I've bought and read the first two of those.

#11928 3 years ago

I'm not sure how I feel about the market right now.

On one hand, QQQ is lagging quite a bit while the S&P & Dow have been making new highs daily. Many of the growth names most often discussed here are 50% or more off their highs from a couple months back. They've popped strongly the last two days, but that doesn't make a dent in their overall losses from their highs. The first few months of 2021 have really brought back memories of 2000.

For myself, the last couple days have popped my account up to shouting distance of all time highs. I'm only hurting on one position, and nothing like it was two days ago. This pop has allowed me to reestablish option positions that protect my holdings quite well. Absent a 10-15% drop in each holding in the next 6 weeks, I'll come out ahead on all of them. Thinking that drop could very well happen, I'm building up a QQQ short.

#11934 3 years ago

One position I have that's turning into a regular piggy bank is Apple. I bought 500 a month or so ago at 131. At 123, I'm down $4k on them, but I've sold calls against the shares every week, buying and selling at different strikes depending on how it's moving, and I'm banked about $6k in gains so far on those. With the pop this morning, I sold $120 calls for early May at $6.18 each. If it's over $120, I'd be totally out of Apple, but with an overall gain around $3500. If it's under $120, I'll have made around $9000 total from all the options (but I'll be down $5500 on the shares). I'm kind of betting on it being under $120, then I'll sell more calls or just hold the shares for a while. Do that enough times and my shares will be free right?

#11939 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

My covered options are the only thing keeping me in the green since the tech woodshedding.

I don't trade without them anymore....

#11960 3 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Most in Academia and who have studied the market would disagree with you. It is zero sum or in actuality, negative sum because of the bid/ask spread and fees.
A decent article
https://www.morningstar.com/articles/841310/is-the-stock-market-a-zero-sum-game

I've read some daytrading books that agree with rai

#11969 3 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

Most trading fees are $0 today... sometimes a tiny fee if you are doing OTC/foreign stocks.

There's still a small fee when you sell even with $0 fee commissions. It's an SEC fee or something like that.

#11970 3 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

That is interesting because day trading is definitely zero sum. Every buyer has a seller. Money in equals money out minus spread and fees.. The only argument that could be made for non zero sum market is very long term investments where corporations are in and out, and stocks go to 0 with no buyers or sellers, or new stocks are issued but then its a sum between individual investors and corporate coffers. But day trading? I'd like to understand how that could be considered anything but zero or negative sum.

If I buy a share from you for $10, you buy it back from me for $20, I buy it back from you for $30, etc, didn't we all make money?

As long as the total market value of all securities is growing, it's not zero sum.

1 week later
#12052 3 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Nope. Purchased at $134 per a P & D scheme...

Did you sell your pump & dump scheme Apple now that it's back to your purchase price?

#12133 3 years ago

Today is monthly option expiration (if nobody posted already). That causes wild price swings in some stocks. Dealers try to push the stocks around to pay out the least on the options.

#12279 3 years ago

CCIV!
I've been wanting to say that for a long time... Still way down, but been a good week so far.

I bought some last week at 22 and can't wait to get out. I didn't realize the true market cap after the merger is like 35 billion. Most sites are just showing the market cap of CCIV which is barely 5 billion. I'd buy Lucid for 5 billion, but hate it at 35.

#12415 2 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

I bought some last week at 22 and can't wait to get out. I didn't realize the true market cap after the merger is like 35 billion. Most sites are just showing the market cap of CCIV which is barely 5 billion. I'd buy Lucid for 5 billion, but hate it at 35.

You all are busy today...

I dumped the CCIV today. I had shares and covered calls. Gained on the shares, lost more on the calls. Overall lost $500-1000 on the position, but when I wrote this last week it was down like $6000. Just glad to be out. Sold MAC as well. Account hit an all-time high today, so it's time to reassess a bit. I'm 90+% cash. Still holding WBA that I've had for years, AI, AFRM, POSH, and that's it. POSH is up 25% from the lows it hit last Tuesday.

#12454 2 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

Anyone watching what's happening with PINS after hours? Down 10%!

I think that had to be expected. It held up well compared to many of the other overvalued growth story stocks from last year. Risk/reward was definitely to the downside.

#12476 2 years ago

Ice is still alive.

ice (resized).JPGice (resized).JPG
#12478 2 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Oh you stalker you

Ha. I was just reading comments on the PINS article. Wasn't even paying attention to usernames. Thought that comment sounded familiar, then I looked at the name...

#12482 2 years ago

what could go wrong, sounds like a sure thing

I'm not made for this world anymore. Virtual currencies anybody can invent that people agree are worth something. Non-fungible tokens for digital assets. Virtual baseball cards. Whatever happened to owning stuff you could see and touch and value that way? Want to see my baseball card collection? Hold on, let me fire up my computer and go to the site. That one is mint! Just look at the pixels.

#12494 2 years ago

Bought some TDOC and PINS for a quick trade. Exiting today or tomorrow.

Sold covered calls on each for protection.

#12497 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

and...as fast as it goes up...it goes down 2x as fast....i really hate the market.

Escalator up, elevator down.

#12503 2 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

Bought some TDOC and PINS for a quick trade. Exiting today or tomorrow.
Sold covered calls on each for protection.

Closed the TDOC positions. Wasn't liking that one. $20 gain Still feel good about the PINS. I sold half for $350 gain, sold calls on the other half before it dropped down a dollar. Bought back the half shares I sold and sold calls on them again. Could potentially make about $2k on that if it's over $66.50 tomorrow.

#12559 2 years ago

I know we aren't supposed to talk about crypto here, but this is a Stop Loss question, so I suspect it would apply the same to stocks.
I'm trying to setup a Stop Loss for one of my coins and I want to make sure I get it right. I'm just not sure of some of the terminology.
[quoted image]
Stop Price - The price at which I want the trade to execute. For example, ETH is at $3,171 and I want to sell if the price drops to $3,075 then the Stop price would be $3,075.
Amount - This would obviously be the amount of ETH I want to sell at that stop price.
Limit Price - What goes here? Is this the lowest price at which I will sell with the slippage? So, something like $3,050? Meaning the trade will only execute when the price hits $3,075 but not below $3,050?
I've read about slippage a little and I think the Limit Price has something to do with that, but I'm not finding a clear answer.

Sounds correct to me.

#12597 2 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Me thinks there is more pain coming. This is just Nasdaq...SP500 must also participate..
I hope you all raised some cash

100% cash in my 4 IRAs, but my brokerage account is bleeding. Down around $10k this week so far. Bought a little PINS and AI yesterday for a swing trade, which are down about 10% each since then.

#12624 2 years ago

Y'all are just asking for Iceman to return with all this PINS talk...

I said I hated it when it was 40, before it ran to 90. Still don't care for the site myself, but I think it's due for a bounce as much as it has fallen in such a short time.

#12648 2 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Could you guys buy a bunch of PLTR so I can get out?

Looks like it broke support and is going back to $11

#12652 2 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

11 sounds low, this is after all a popular Cathy Wood stock....It's a guess on my part but if it breaks 20, it will bounce off of 19. I don't think it will dwell in the teens for long.
PS: all the reopening names are getting clobbered, I'm guessing in the next few day the narrative will change, we'll hear something about the reopening boom has already been baked-in at these prices.

Probably. My worry is that it has earnings next week and a lot of stocks are getting 15-25% haircuts on disappointing guidance.

#12653 2 years ago

I just took my loss a few weeks ago. Down couple bucks a share.
Pins below 60$ now, feel bad for the people who bought in the 80s but if it gets low enough I might buy some.
Glad I never bought sndl, getting cheaper but it just keeps going down.
Got hexo still, performing pretty good right now.
Hitif still sucking a fat one.

I wasn't holding any PLTR. I've swing traded it a few times though. I took most of my lumps yesterday and today. Turned about $17k in unrealized losses into realized losses. Still up on the year, but not much.

#12672 2 years ago

ARK seems like they are in desperation mode now. Yesterday they:

Sold 1.46 million shares of FSLY (70% off its highs, near year low)
Sold 298000 AAPL (to raise funds to buy more junk)
Sold 496000 SPCE (near yearly lows, 65%+ off its high)
Sold 995000 PINS (down 35% off its recent highs)
Sold 1.94 million shares of WKHS (almost 80% off its 52 week high)

These are the types of moves I've made in the past before blowing up my account.

#12678 2 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Lol...I just got into it for a swing trade hopefully. I just think the tech narrative will change in a week or two and they'll all pile back in it....that's when I'll sell it. I mean look at it all...the jobs report was a big miss, and now the market on the whole is jumping. It tells me the Fed will use this as an excuse not to taper...that's why all of these techs are jumping, they're betting interest rates will stay low.

Growth names got a big pop off that jobs miss this morning, but much of my watch list is down 5-10% from the morning highs. You can't read much in half a day of trading, but it looks like people took that gift as a chance to get out a bit higher.

#12731 2 years ago

Quite the drop in TTD today. Wasn't that Iceman's second largest position after PINS? I think I'm going to make a play on it and sell a put expiring Friday.

I shorted 200 QQQ Friday, and covered today. Feels nice to get one right once in a while. Sure feels like there's a lot of downside left in QQQ, but as long as the trillion dollar market cap companies hold up, so will the index.

#12774 2 years ago

Is it time to start nibbling on the growth stocks that don't make a profit, but are down 50-75% from their highs of a couple months ago?

I did nibble on some DKGN, TTD, and 100 shares of ARKK for fun near the close yesterday. And of course all 3 are down 4-6% in the premarket.

#12786 2 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

Is it time to start nibbling on the growth stocks that don't make a profit, but are down 50-75% from their highs of a couple months ago?
I did nibble on some DKGN, TTD, and 100 shares of ARKK for fun near the close yesterday. And of course all 3 are down 4-6% in the premarket.

Thank me for the turnaround. I had orders set on 6 stocks to buy at the open for about 0.5% less than they were. None executed and the market jumped.

1 week later
#13030 2 years ago
Quoted from barakawins:

Can someone explain this Roblox lingo below? Seems like when new hits like this the stock seems to go up. Not sure what this all means.
Robox is $84.33 as I write this and news in ameritrade says:
Roblox option Alert. June 4 $95 calls at the ask: 4888 @1.4 vs 270 OI.
I need to know what this means exactly.

Somebody thinks Roblox will be worth more than $96.40 on June 4th.

1 week later
#13079 2 years ago

CNBC/Cramer are trying to make BYND the next meme stock for the AMC/GME crowd.

#13082 2 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

I don't know folks, anybody else feel like we're coming into another bubble? I'm using these highs to reduce my exposure, I really think we're nearing the highs of this market. With inflation come deflation....Cathie Wood just warned about it.

Are you trying to tell me AMC going from $13 to $35 this week isn't normal???

I've been doing very short term trades with covered calls. For example I bought 1000 BB yesterday at 9.37 and sold the 9.50 calls expiring today. Probably stupid in hindsight since I'm only going to make $500 on a one day trade and the shares are $2500 in the green this morning, but a 5% plus gain in a day keeps the doctor away or something like that.

I did the same with SNOW, CCL, and BYND. Unless the market crashes before the end of the day, that's going to be a quick $2k profit overall.

#13102 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

I was doing the same thing with Kodak for about half a year. Did pretty well on it overall. Do you normally buy the shares on the Weds/Thurs and just write calls close to the money for the Friday? 5% for a couple days is very good return.

That's what I did this time. It just felt right and safe this week with everything going up. Usually I buy stuff I want to own and sell them out 1-2 weeks a bit out of the money

#13218 2 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

POSH is also ready

The time to buy POSH was a couple weeks ago on the day they announced the partnership with SNAP. It's gone from $35 to $51 since then. I dumped my remaining shares yesterday. Battled that one since the day after it IPO'd. I made probably 50 trades in it. Overall I lost $7700 on shares, but made $8100 on options. Nice to be done with it and get a "win".

#13221 2 years ago

Didn't they do that the last time it went up?

This new one is an "at the market" offering. They can dump shares on retail investors any time they want during the day. In theory, that should limit upside.

#13301 2 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Lol..When has Tom Lee been bearish?

See my post #5605

#13302 2 years ago

I bought 1000 CLOV last week. Don't know anything about them, but Motley Fool mentioned them in one of their pre-market briefings. It's up 25% today.

#13305 2 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

Where is that? Do you need a subscription?

It's similar to Motley Fool, but for people that count on their fingers and toes.

#13308 2 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

It wasn't the "Foot" part I was most curious about (that's what I had figured out), it was their pre-market briefing thing I was curious about...

Ohhhh. Well once fool.com gets your e-mail address you'll get spammed about 10 times a day, but there's some good info mixed in with the filler. I subscribed to 2 years of their stock advisor and rule breaker services a couple weeks back using a promo code. It was something like $99 each for 2 years. I bought some of their picks after I did and already made more than the services cost. I think their picks are legit, but don't buy right when they make them. Wait for a good pullback on quality stocks. Their picks are meant to be held for years.

Ice already mentioned their latest pick, UPST. It looks like it's making a double top to me on the chart right now and it has more than doubled in the last month already. I'd like to own it closer to $100-120.

1 week later
#13475 2 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Yeah, except you got it backwards, today you sell techs and buy into all the beat up sectors. Powell is going to look like a fool soon, cause he didn't act sooner.

Agreed. Yellen and Powell have kicked the can long enough. History isn't going to view their reigns positively.

#13486 2 years ago

I picked up 300 NVTA yesterday. It was one of ARKs highest convictions a few months back. It pulled back about 40% and looks like it has bounced.

#13518 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

BOA has a different take on the drop in long term rates. They say we're now in the bearish flattening phase of the yield curve and it's time to buy dividend stocks and consumer staples.
cyclica correction (resized).jpgcyclica correction (resized).jpg

#13554 2 years ago

I saved an article last year than was FAANG stocks for the next 10 years. Basically 5 stocks that would be the Amazon, Apple, etc of the next decade. One of them was VRTX, which looks like a decent buy now well off its highs. It may fall another $20 to where it has good support. I'm not big on pharma stocks, but that's one to watch.

1 week later
#13679 2 years ago
Quoted from stubborngamer:

It's up a lot in a short amount of time. While I am aware meme stocks don't tend to drop hard after rallies anymore, I'd prefer getting in at $11 or so. Having said that even at the current price it does seem undervalued, a lot of people complain that they sell junk, but that's always been what they were, a place to buy cheap junk, so it's not a reason to not own it.
Speaking of meme stocks, they say CLOV has the most short squeeze potential. I own a bit, but my history with meme stocks is that I sell for small gains, so even if it squeezes I'll probably be long gone.
Looks like HITI is responding well to earnings, wish I bought it again on that temp dip yesterday. We'll see if it finally breaks the hold short sellers have on it in subsequent days.

I bought 1000 clov around 9.50 right before the run to almost 30. Sadly I sold covered calls at like 10 on them. Made $1500 or so when I could have made 20k in under a week.

#13681 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

I never thought of WISH as a MEME stock but I guess they are caught up in that as well. Will see how the next earnings report is and if growth continues.

Speaking of covered calls, any stocks people recommend write calls on to make a decent return? I was writing covered calls on Kodak and it was quite profitable. Thanks.

WISH started being a MEME stock a week or two ago.

I'm trying another bite at CLOV covered calls. Bought 1000 yesterday at 12.70 and sold $13 calls for 7/9 at 1.20. Basically 10% premium for 11 days. It's at 14.12 this morning, so it's looking good. Without the calls I could have sold already for $1400 gain. With them I guess I wait it out. I could buy back the calls and sell the stock now for about $500 overall profit I guess.

Also been selling weekly calls on UPST for the last 3 weeks. I like the stock long term and I'm getting around $500/week in premiums per 100 shares.

#13685 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

CLOV seems to have better potential for covered calls. Why not buy back your $13 calls for $1.90 and write the July 16 $14 calls for around the same price? You will make $1.30 on the shares and around $1.90 on the calls. Sometimes I rewrite the calls a few weeks (or months out) to increase the exercise price.

That's a possibility. I don't like going too far out with meme stocks. Could get stuck holding the shares while they go back to $10 and I lose more than I make on the calls.

I sold 10 CLOV 7/9 $12 puts yesterday and bought them back today for 40% gains overnight. Probably would have been 100% gains in a week, but sometimes I take a quick win.

Everything I've touched the last couple weeks has been a gain. I'm up about $8k just trading with around $40k of my account. When that happens, it's usually time to start being wary and not overtrade and give it all back.

#13693 2 years ago

UPST crushing it today. I mentioned that one a few times in the last couple weeks.

2 weeks later
#13912 2 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

Z, TDOC, FSLY, and NVTA are absolutely crushing me right now. I never planned to have such a large position in any of those but I have been buying more as it dips for months now.

I like Zillow as a company. Never traded their stock. The housing bubble should pop soon, it already has to some extent here (houses are taking 2-3 weeks to sell instead of bidding wars on day one). It may have more to drop, if it does I'll look into the stock some more.

TDOC I said multiple times last year how overvalued I thought it was. That was in the upper 100s, right before it shot to 300+. It's down over 50%, but still looks rich to me. Maybe around 80 I'd look at it.

I bought FSLY and lost a bundle on that one. Market cap looks low enough to me now, but it seems to have a lot of competitors and doesn't make a profit yet.

NVTA I traded from 30 -> 33 last month, now I'm back in at 29.50. Small position, 500 shares. I think it has potential to be a multi-bagger in the future.

POSH and UPST have been my main two trading stocks. I made some horrible buys on POSH, but have made up for them and then some. Selling puts and selling covered calls has me up about $5k in realized gains where at one time I was down $15k. UPST isn't for the faint of heart. It's repeatedly going from low 110s to low 130s and back in just a matter of 2-3 days. I have a lot of realized gains on that one, but I'm already down $3k on what I bought this week. A lot of places love this stock. Josh Brown (one of the few guys on CNBC more than Tom Lee) has it as his top pick for the rest of the year. Motley Fool keeps having it as one of their top 5 stocks to buy now. I could see it as a 10-bagger in 5 years. I tend to only hold trading positions for 1-4 weeks, but that one I might ride and keep selling calls against for a while.

I've been trading CLOV for about a month. Have about 3k realized gains on it, but down 4k unrealized. It's a meme stock than can double in a day, but it also has potential to be a profitable company in a few years. Analysts are piling on right now downgrading it at the lows with the meme euphoria dying down. It'll be back, but I'm not putting more money in it right now.

My one dividend aristocrat is killing me this month. WBA beat on earnings, beat on revenue, raised guidance, and dropped almost 20% since. It will double someday or be bought out / go private. In the meantime, 4% dividends reinvesting. I've had this one for 3 years, anywhere from 500-3000 shares at any given time. Took my position from 500 -> 1300 on the latest drop.

#13933 2 years ago

I think CVS is the better stock

No doubt it has been. I traded it a bit in 2019. More than double the market cap, quite a bit higher PE, but about half the dividend. I think they'll converge at some point. I'm hoping the VillageMD roll out is a game changer for WBA.

They did their yearly div raise yesterday. Second year in a row it was only a penny. Last year made sense with Covid, but I expected a lot more this time around. Disappointing.

#13993 2 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Looks like the UMG deal fell apart.
Hits just keep coming.

Seems like a positive to me. Nobody wanted UMG.

1 week later
#14217 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

What did PINS miss on? Thought results looked good but down after hours. Thanks.

Huge decline in active users.

#14219 2 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

"However, Pinterest's monthly active users (MAU), a widely watched metric indicating users' level of engagement with the platform, grew only 9% to 454 million in the second quarter. Analysts on average estimated 487.1 million."
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/1-pinterest-user-growth-slows-201806136.html

I'm just going by what the talking head on CNBC said when I was listening in my car on the way home from work. They didn't get into the details of the miss (decline in US / growth International maybe?).

#14221 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Down is not the word for PINS....absolutely tanked. I was up, now down 14% on it....f'ng crazy.
So what is the over/under on Ice's mood tomorrow?

That's the type of report that usually sends a stock drifting lower in search of a bottom for a while. You never know though. TDOC was down huge after their earnings and closed green the next day.

#14228 2 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Everybody has a thesis. It is good practice to express it and helps validate why you are making a decision.

Isn’t that an old Mike Tyson quote?

#14255 2 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

If pins breaks through the previous low of 55.45 look out for a big drop

That's what I was looking at too. Since stocks these days are so disconnected to fundamentals, both on the upside and the downside, you have to resort to the technicals. Going long now with a stop at that low is one strategy. Going short if it makes a new low is another. I'm not playing it either direction until it settles down a bit.

#14265 2 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Damn, people have a serious case of sand in their neither regions. Everybody take a deep breath and go back to their corners. Personal attacks are not needed.

You suck! And your avatar sucks! And so does Annapolis! And what's the problem with sand in nether regions? I enjoy that feeling!

#14266 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

-6% vs -32%?
I sold AMZN around $2500. Stock is just too expensive for my blood.

I played AMZN from 3320 to 3350 with 15 shares this morning. Only trade I've done in a few days. I'm limping into a few ETFs, just a share or two of each a week. Cost average for a year or two on them.

#14270 2 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Just know that I am rather handsome, somewhat successful, and a damn fine dancer for a man of my size. I am living proof that good things happen to bad people.

You got me beat on all accounts then, but I used to fool a lot of people into thinking I was smart!

#14291 2 years ago
Quoted from edward472:

So back to Amazon, I'd really like to get in on the action but it's hard to pull the trigger with the share price being $3000+. Thats a bug chunk of my monthly investment allowance. Regardless if it drops to $3,000, I'm in.

Some brokers are allowing fractional shares now. Buy 0.01 share for $30 instead.

#14292 2 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

I think you are rather smart and you know a shit ton more about options trading and the like than I do. Plus, I can guarantee that you are better pinball player than I am. What say we call it a draw?

I know just enough to know I'd rather sell them than buy them. I'll let somebody else gamble while I'm slowly pocketing the decay in premiums.

I was that guy in school that never said anything, but set the curve on all the tests. People thought I was a genius, but in reality I was at home studying until bedtime every night. I had high standards. I didn't expect to be perfect, but my line for personal failure was 98% on an assignment or test. That makes trading very hard because I can't accept being wrong. I'll make 9 winning trades in a row for 2% each, then lose 20% on one loser. because I think I'm right and the market is wrong.

#14302 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Man, I hadn't looked at the market since this morning. Was a crap day across the board today.
It was reported today that the average price of a new vehicle today is $41k. That is INSANE.
That being said, used vehicle prices are also crazy. Generally though, if you can find a 1-2 year old vehicle with less than 50k on it, they are decent but right now still paying top dollar for them unlike in the past where it was a nice discount.
If you are looking price wise to buy something 5-10 years old...yeah, things are probably going to need to be fixed :/

I bought a 2018 Mustang new with incentives in 2018 for $23,500. I traded it in last month, with 44,000 miles on it, and got $24,500 trade-in. On the flip-side, I had to pay sticker price for the new one.... Some dealers are charging over MSRP for new cars.

#14308 2 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Did you ask if the dealer would cut you a check for $24,500.00 for it if you did not buy another vehicle from them?

Not that one, I contacted them first because I was interested if the trade was high enough

Other dealers had been spamming me offering around 23000 for mine with no purchase necessary. That’s what got me thinking about upgrading. All in all it cost 8000 to upgrade to a new one. I’ll accept a loss of $2000-3000 a year to drive new vehicles 15000 miles a year. It’s my biggest vice I suppose.

Also the trade-in needed new tires and transmission fluid, so that was another $1000 in maintenance applied to the new one instead

#14313 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

It's been some years, but in 2010 I was looking to get a truck. I was looking at used trucks. Ended up buying new because I could get a new truck less than I could buy a used truck for, which was crazy for the time. In the 10 years since, new prices have doubled on average if not almost tripled comparatively. And used prices are still way up there. I'm told I can pretty much get what I paid for mine new, trade in today.

Yah I think that's how the 2018 I bought was. I got something crazy like $7500 off the $31000 MSRP with all the cash back and other incentives. It was cheaper to buy new.

In 2010 I bought a used 2008 that had under 20,000 miles on it. I think I paid $14,500 for that one. Roughly half new price for one that was driven for a year.

My first two I drove into the ground. The first blew a head gasket and later needed a complete engine rebuild. I got like $700 trade-in for that one. Second one the check engine light came on literally the day after I made the deal online, on my way to the dealership. They still honored the deal, but trade-in was only like $2000 on that one (and the stereo was worth at least half that). I've learned my lesson and now trade usually around 75,000 miles. This time was an exception.

#14350 2 years ago

I'll be here posting all the money losing stock ideas you'll ever need.

#14411 2 years ago
Quoted from kporter946286:

COIN is the trailblazer and obvious king did it first. It trades at $244.
If they grow to be 1/10 just the current size of them right there you go $24 a share.

Comparing share prices of companies is meaningless because they have wildly different numbers of shares outstanding. At 1/10 of COIN in market cap, it's only about 80 cents.

#14416 2 years ago

WEBR IPO just opened. Similar to COOK which IPO'd last week and is up about 50% since. On my watch list.

#14503 2 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

WEBR IPO just opened. Similar to COOK which IPO'd last week and is up about 50% since. On my watch list.

This is up over 30% in 4 days. I bought some, but I sold it for a much smaller gain than if I still had it.

Looking into BFLY a bit. Never heard of them before yesterday, but they had strong earnings, were sitting near all time lows before yesterdays jump, and are still something like 70% off the highs from earlier this year. Seems like good risk/reward there for a swing trade of a few weeks or months.

#14516 2 years ago

That's what happens why you blindly buy penny stocks

Wait. You don't take investment advice from someone making their first post in a 4 year old thread and recommending a penny stock?

#14520 2 years ago

My old ball and chain WBA is finally getting a little love, trading today at its highest since the earnings drop in early July. Might trade up to the 50-day MA soon at least. Although it has ex-div coming next week that will drop it 50 cents.

wba (resized).JPGwba (resized).JPG
#14535 2 years ago
Quoted from athenspin:

WBA pays a fatty dividend, should be cash loaded from the sale of boots Alliance, I believe they are doing next day delivery for pharmaceuticals, the ceo is top notch and sits on Amazon’s board. Disclaimer, I own a bunch of WBA and the dividend is always nice!

Yes anytime their dividend goes over 4%, I think it's a buy. With bond yields so low and risks of premium loss high as rates go higher, I use dividend aristocrats as my bond proxy.

#14593 2 years ago
Quoted from TRAMD:

Anybody else extra clean from the bath they're taking on POSH?

I've traded in and out of POSH so many times it's not even funny. It's great for swings. I bought it yesterday morning, sold in the afternoon, bought it again this morning, sold this afternoon. Usually 500-1000 shares at these levels.

1 week later
#14656 2 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Solid green all over, all the reopening names are kicking ass....LVS is up 15% in 2 days. Najarian was saying Royal Caribbean might pop due to unusual option activity. MRNA is down, so I bought some today hopefully for a swing trade.
PS: Ares Capital ex dividend date is 9-14-2021 it pays almost 9% annually....the stock is currently under 20 bucks, they have a great track record..so if you want a good dividend stock, take a look at ARCC
FSK is the 2nd largest BDC after ARCC their yield is almost 11%, it's also a pretty good dividend play when tapering comes calling.

That was a wild day. I bought some LVS in the morning and sold it in the afternoon. Hoping to get in to LVS and WYNN a bit lower for a longer swing.

I'm back at all time highs for the first time in about 6 weeks, up 15k since the dip on Thursday. And I'm still around 85% cash. I swing trade the other 15% while waiting for the big dip that seems it will never come. It's been something like 9 months since a 5% correction, which is crazy.

1 month later
#14873 2 years ago

Bought 10 shares of AMZN today since it's now down on the year, and about 50k spread across a dozen or so dividend aristocrats that are paying 3.5-5% yields. I had been sitting around 85% cash across all my accounts, but cash is trash in a high inflation world.

Also bought 700 ounces of physical silver last week. It's already up about $1.15/ounce from where I got it.

#14875 2 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

Did you factor in the taxes and premium you paid on the silver?

There were no taxes (sales taxes), and the rounds I bought are actually selling on ebay for about $15/ounce higher than I paid. I'm planning to sell them as collectibles, but the silver value is a nice fallback.

#14949 2 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

LOL am literally finishing off a cherry cola Zeev right now. :p

Is it wrong that I'm sitting here sipping a cherry pepsi, while I bought coke stock yesterday?

#14950 2 years ago

I'm still swing trading POSH every few days. I've managed to go from about $20k underwater on it to about $6k up, mostly by selling out of the money puts and calls on it against my positions. It only has monthly options still, but the premiums are pretty good. Eventually I'm going to catch the bottom in this thing and make some real money. It's down almost 80% from its first trading day. It's my play stock...keeps me from doing dumb things with stocks I don't know anything about.

#14983 2 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

Even with the debt ceiling delayed until December, isn't October traditionally pretty rocky for the Market?

Common misconception, because of a couple really bad Octobers.

The average monthly S&P500 stock market returns from 1980 to 2019 were:

January: +0.82%
February: +0.29%
March: +0.96%
April: +1.51%
May: +0.97%
June: +0.02%
July: +0.79%
August: -0.15%
September: -0.70%
October: +0.92%
November: +1.48%
December: +1.11%
Average: +0.67%

2 weeks later
#15128 2 years ago

52 week low on PINS. Might be worth a swing, but I don't see much support until about $10 lower.

#15130 2 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

I'd be more inclined to invest in Paypal, which PINS dragged down over the past week, it has a lot more upside.

It's interesting PayPal hasn't recovered any of that drop. I've been watching it. I don't see the benefit, but somebody will eventually buy pinterest since both microsoft and paypal were interested in them.

1 week later
#15256 2 years ago
Quoted from Damen:

I almost feel like going all in on Facebook stock,I think it will be the next Tesla.

It's already valued close to Tesla. It had a market cap higher than Tesla before last week.

2 weeks later
#15457 2 years ago

I don't buy many high flying growth stocks, but I keep a watchlist of about 75. Nearly every one I'm clicking on today says it's at a 52 week low. Most of them are unprofitable companies right now. Either it's a good time to load up and make huge returns, or this is dot com part #2 for that type of company. I've started nibbling at a few that are either recommended by motley fool or big buys by the ARK funds. Getting in a little DKNG, FVRR, CHWY, NVTA, PINS, BABA, and PYPL today.

#15460 2 years ago

if you are long term, I would be buying in the 180's

Sure seems like a no brainer compared to a lot of other falling knives. I started buying last week at 205, just in 5 share increments, but I bought 40 today. Scaling in bigger as it falls.

#15464 2 years ago
Quoted from BRONX:

I'm seriously looking at *visa* stock & also *AT&T* stock. *AT&T* dividend yield is now 8.5% you guys think dividend is safe?? Am I missing something on AT&T???

They’re splitting up into 3 companies soon. The yield will be less when they do I think. I’m

1 week later
#15548 2 years ago

Ouch for Docusign. That's another one in the bucket with TDOC as stocks I never understood the value on. I posted multiple times when TDOC was at 180-200 that the valuation made no sense. It did proceed to around 300, but is under 100 now. Now it's starting to actually sound reasonable. TDOC is actually below it was when lockdowns started, but DOCU is well above even with this 30% haircut tonight.

#15552 2 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

I have the TDOC blues.

I said last year I'd never use telemedicine and that hasn't changed. Sounds like there's no continuity of care and you just get the next doctor in the queue when it's your turn. I'm sure it's great for quick prescriptions if you have the sniffles or something, but most people want a doctor that they know and trust and have used for years. That said, it should be higher post-pandemic than pre-pandemic right?

1 month later
#15872 2 years ago

I think it's time to go fishing on some growth stocks. Most are down at least 50% off their highs. Some of the more risky ones are more than 80% off their highs. I'm buying 100 shares each of some that have growing revenues and are profitable or will be this year. This includes SQ, UPST, NET, DOCN, DOCS, and PYPL. I'm selling June covered calls on them all, which gives me 10-20% downside protection on them. Also doing the same with some that aren't yet profitable, but have good prospects like PATH and AI.

1 week later
#15922 2 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

Netflix down 20% in after hours trading after missing on growth and subscriber number expectations. Damn. Disney down 5% just by association I guess.

I nibbled on a few NFLX after hours. Down to $400 after being $700 just a few weeks ago. Probably a mistake, but I only picked up 20 shares for a starter.

#15953 2 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

I'm just glad I put a bunch of money in stock market so inflation didn't eat up my cash LOL

I thought the same. I've been putting in a little every day for weeks. About 60% invested in my brokerage account now, but still only maybe 20% in all my retirement accounts. I kind of expect we're quite a bit higher Friday than we are right now. Just need to get the Fed meeting in the rearview mirror. It's trying to bounce now.

#15954 2 years ago

Two of my high growth slaughtered stocks are green now today, and 3 more are only about 1% from going green. That's promising.

I've been accumulating UPST. I really think if they continue to execute they are a $1000 stock in 5 years. I want 1000 shares. I bought 200 this morning at $80. I already had 200 at about $115.

#15963 2 years ago

Crazy, but not totally unexpected if this goes green today. About half my stocks are green now, some over 10% up now (CHWY for example). Shorts and longs want to close positions before the Fed.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
$ 12.95
568 posts in this topic match your search for posts by loneacer. You are on page 2 of 3.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider loneacer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stock-market-traders/page/2?tu=loneacer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.