IMG_7948 (resized).jpeg
kuiil-have-spoken.gif
200w.gif
gold24 (resized).jpg
counting_coins_02.gif
IMG_1659 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 20,997 posts in this topic. You are on page 293 of 420.
#14601 2 years ago

Made another decent amount on day trades today.

I am assuming the general consensus here is buy the dip, not, something more is brewing. I can't say I have a definite opinion on the matter. Other than I don't want to hold what I was holding.

#14602 2 years ago
Quoted from stubborngamer:

Made another decent amount on day trades today.
I am assuming the general consensus here is buy the dip, not, something more is brewing. I can't say I have a definite opinion on the matter. Other than I don't want to hold what I was holding.

For now yes buy the dips, on good quality stocks...but keep an eye on the consumer numbers, it's starting to sour, perhaps it's transitory like the inflation and due to the Delta variant worries, if it continues to fall it maybe signaling the beginning of a downtrend.

#14603 2 years ago

Ill wait for 1 more day of dips the buy buy buy. If it goes up I’ll chill

#14604 2 years ago

Looks like it might be safe to come out from cover... unfortunately it's Friday tomorrow so it might not be a strong conviction to go green.

3-6 month outlook by sector

https://www.schwab.com/resource-center/insights/content/schwab-sector-insights-view-on-11-equity-sectors?cmp=em-RBL

#14605 2 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

For now yes buy the dips, on good quality stocks...but keep an eye on the consumer numbers, it's starting to sour, perhaps it's transitory like the inflation and due to the Delta variant worries, if it continues to fall it maybe signaling the beginning of a downtrend.

Anyone involved in supply chain distribution can tell you the storm has yet to come. In my 30 years in the industry I've never witnessed what's going on. Almost everything on the equipment manufacturing side is pushing out to 6 month lead times, and triple the costs. Shipping costs have gone through the roof both domestic and international. These increased manufacturing costs are just now hitting the suppliers/manufacturers and will be pushed on to us in the coming months/years. I'm afraid that it's going to be bad.

#14606 2 years ago

I never sit on the sidelines, the past few days I've been day trading meme stocks to some decent success.

Which ones?

#14607 2 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Anyone involved in supply chain distribution can tell you the storm has yet to come. In my 30 years in the industry I've never witnessed what's going on. Almost everything on the equipment manufacturing side is pushing out to 6 month lead times, and triple the costs. Shipping costs have gone through the roof both domestic and international. These increased manufacturing costs are just now hitting the suppliers/manufacturers and will be pushed on to us in the coming months/years. I'm afraid that it's going to be bad.

that's why i laugh when the fed says transitory inflation
some commodities will come down as well as car prices but increase in labor and other products is here to stay

everybody that wanted a $15 min wage got it
of course now $15 is min wage so you didn't gain any buying power

#14608 2 years ago

Yesterday I didn't make a single trade as all the meme stocks were tanking. But I swung traded gme, clov and amc earlier in the week. Today I am looking at bit companies like coin and riot.

The meme community thinks something big is going to happen between now and Sept. 9th. But right now I wouldn't buy any of them until they settle.

Edit: Actually it looks like just amc is on a downtrend. Anyways, take everything I say with a grain of salt, my mind changes a bit too often.

#14609 2 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Anyone involved in supply chain distribution

I think the supply chain issues will get worse over the next year if more ports shutdown due to covid. One of my projects was delayed, not because of rare electronics but due to a lack of sheet metal. Sheet metal, the most common construction element.

#14610 2 years ago
Quoted from Friengineer:

I think the supply chain issues will get worse over the next year if more ports shutdown due to covid. One of my projects was delayed, not because of rare electronics but due to a lack of sheet metal. Sheet metal, the most common construction element.

Yep....I've had multiple project schedules shuffled because a conveyor manufacturer can't get sprockets, or we can't get switchgears, circuit breakers or other simple electrical parts. I work a lot with shingle manufacturers, and they're having to shut down production lines because the Fiberglass Mat plants can't get glass fibers to make Mat. Rolls of fiberglass mat have become as scarce as TP a year ago.

#14611 2 years ago

Anyone pick up PINS today?

#14612 2 years ago
Quoted from barakawins:

Anyone pick up PINS today?

Not me.

#14613 2 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

that's why i laugh when the fed says transitory inflation
some commodities will come down as well as car prices but increase in labor and other products is here to stay
everybody that wanted a $15 min wage got it
of course now $15 is min wage so you didn't gain any buying power

In Nevada:$9.75/hr. without medical benefits
$8.75/hr. with medical benefits. And that's no matter how shifty the benefits are.

#14614 2 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

$8.75/hr. with medical benefits. And that's no matter how shifty the benefits are.

couldn't hire a high school kid for that little in Maryland

#14615 2 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

I used to clean toilets and flip burgers for $5.00/hr. I got a quarter raise and thought I was hot shit.

#14616 2 years ago

couldn't hire a high school kid for that little in Maryland

Taco bell drive in starts at $16.

#14617 2 years ago
Quoted from edward472:

I used to clean toilets and flip burgers for $5.00/hr. I got a quarter raise and thought I was hot shit.

My first payroll-based job was as a porter in a hospital kitchen. $3.50/hr while Minimum was $2.65. In the beautiful City of Detroit. I also repaired pinball machines in homes at the time for about $15.00/hr.

#14618 2 years ago
Quoted from edward472:

Not sure why people think "back in the day" stories are relevant. My first house cost $185K, now it's $1.2M after 20 years have passed. Things change.

#14619 2 years ago
Quoted from Friengineer:

There has been a surge of COVID infections among Los Angeles/Long Beach port workers the last few weeks. The maritime association in charge of training and certifying workers for skilled jobs has dropped the ball. There are not enough skilled workers right now. Even if there were enough workers, there is not enough space on the docks to moor all the ships and cargo. The daily work orders are never close to filled and about a third of the work each day is shorted or “cut”.

9BBB400A-070E-49D8-9DAD-B4737A8631E7 (resized).jpeg9BBB400A-070E-49D8-9DAD-B4737A8631E7 (resized).jpeg

4047E81E-B4FF-4B99-B51E-471D3A08C5B7 (resized).jpeg4047E81E-B4FF-4B99-B51E-471D3A08C5B7 (resized).jpeg
#14620 2 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Taco bell drive in starts at $16.

Now I’m hungry. Making a run for the border!

#14621 2 years ago
Quoted from thechakapakuni:

Now I’m hungry. Making a run for the border!

We all make mistakes.

#14622 2 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

There has been a surge of COVID infections among Los Angeles/Long Beach port workers the last few weeks. The maritime association in charge of training and certifying workers for skilled jobs has dropped the ball. There are not enough skilled workers right now. Even if there were enough workers, there is not enough space on the docks to moor all the ships and cargo. The daily work orders are never close to filled and about a third of the work each day is shorted or “cut”.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Just flew in over Long Beach area enroute to LAX. I counted over 40 ships waiting in the harbor off the long beach coast.

#14623 2 years ago
Quoted from Pin-Pilot:

Just flew in over Long Beach area enroute to LAX. I counted over 40 ships waiting in the harbor off the long beach coast.

It’s the busy season now with Xmas goods starting to come in. The backlog is getting worse. I’m up on the ship as a hatch boss. Basically in charge of loading the ship correctly. I plan on working a double shift Saturday.

3F666D93-D1D1-4D74-9719-A97967D947D2 (resized).jpeg3F666D93-D1D1-4D74-9719-A97967D947D2 (resized).jpeg6ABFE2FC-BB00-4E1E-AE85-09A0DC18541F (resized).jpeg6ABFE2FC-BB00-4E1E-AE85-09A0DC18541F (resized).jpeg
#14624 2 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:It’s the busy season now with Xmas goods starting to come in. The backlog is getting worse. I’m up on the ship as a hatch boss. Basically in charge of loading the ship correctly. I plan on working a double shift Saturday.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks for the update and good luck working long hours this weekend.

So things are backed up with demand - good. But things are backed up with a slower supply chain - bad. And paying overtime to workers - good for workers who want it, but higher shipping costs - bad.

Is it just me or does all the good news seem to come with bad news also now?

#14625 2 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

It’s the busy season now with Xmas goods starting to come in. The backlog is getting worse. I’m up on the ship as a hatch boss. Basically in charge of loading the ship correctly. I plan on working a double shift Saturday.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Cool pics, Those container ships are amazing!

#14626 2 years ago

Here's an article on the latest from Deeproot. Thought this was appropriate for the stock thread... A bit of an overlap between pinball and investing.

https://www.thinkadvisor.com/2021/08/20/sec-charges-san-antonio-advisor-in-58m-investment-scam/?fbclid=IwAR03I6clD35quT48m_vabbMQt5_UEb6cionHVjQsHW44TeP9z04919A5hp4

#14627 2 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Here's an article on the latest from Deeproot. Thought this was appropriate for the stock thread... A bit of an overlap between pinball and investing.
https://www.thinkadvisor.com/2021/08/20/sec-charges-san-antonio-advisor-in-58m-investment-scam/?fbclid=IwAR03I6clD35quT48m_vabbMQt5_UEb6cionHVjQsHW44TeP9z04919A5hp4

Unbelievable....what a scam artist. Well, I guess the guys in the deeproot thread were right, if it walks like a duck......

#14628 2 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Quoted from kvan99:

Unbelievable....what a scam artist. Well, I guess the guys in the deeproot thread were right, if it walks like duck......

Robert always seemed like a Fucking thief and scam artist. Wow, it's true.
Sorry for those that will lose their money.
Condo on Kauai? Weeding bands and divorces. What a Dick.

#14629 2 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Thanks for posting, it really is something how folks will buy something (investment) when there is a good sales pitch. This happens all the time, things are promised and the people just take the word of a sales person. I am talking about investment professionals who sell to people with money. These people had hundreds of thousands of dollars and they decided to invest it with Robert?

It reminds me that most people are clueless regarding how to invest, they think that a sharp dressed sales person will take care of them, but the fact is that most are doing this (investment sales/advice) to make money and they will put themselves first. In other words they will likely sell the product that gets them the best commission.

#14630 2 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Holy crap. Good luck on Deeproot making games.

The SEC appears to have filed charges:
"It also caused Mueller and deeproot to make more than $820,000 of Ponzi-like payments to earlier investors "
https://www.sec.gov/litigation/complaints/2021/comp25179.pdf

I was probably right back on 9/27/20:

Quoted from DCFAN:

How can they state 5% income/payment and continue that if they are losing money? Would that be a form of a Ponzi? If not, then at what point does it become a Ponzi if it does not appear to be likely to ever be profitable?
[quoted image]

#14631 2 years ago

Noticed a Hindenburg Omen popped up. Not many people talking about it, must not mean anything anymore.

#14632 2 years ago

Would this be a good time to sell my Deeproot stock? (too soon?)

#14633 2 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Not sure why people think "back in the day" stories are relevant. My first house cost $185K, now it's $1.2M after 20 years have passed. Things change.

Well, housing prices are a contemporary topic considering that $1.2M house was probably $600k a year ago... and even less affordable to those at median pay. The reason the Fed prefers inflation over deflation is at least partially for the perception that wages are going up, even if the reality is employee buying power is dropping. For example, my company graciously gave me a 2% cost of living increase in 2020, so I proceeded to tell them it was actually a pay cut considering inflation in the county was 5.4%. I no longer work there

It's been a real mental struggle for me to deal with a stock market so disconnected from reality considering the supply chain shortages, materials prices rising, real wages relatively flat (for decades), and interest rates that can't drop any further. Even crypto makes more sense.

#14634 2 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

It's been a real mental struggle for me to deal with a stock market so disconnected from reality considering the supply chain shortages, materials prices rising, real wages relatively flat (for decades), and interest rates that can't drop any further. Even crypto makes more sense.

It's always been a "where else do you put your money" game
and right now the market is the best answer

Crypto is fine if you can swallow 50% drops

#14635 2 years ago

Help/guidance requested on non-standard trades.
Okay, until now I have always been a pretty simple stock trader. I have bought and sold stocks, colelcted dividends, never traded option, and never traded on margin (still won't).
I am currently holding on to about 2,000 shares of Lucid worth about $24 per share in 2 separate accounts with about 1000 shares in each account. This is the "risky" play and the majority of everything else I have is in sensible mutual funds so I'm not about to lose it all.
Scenario A: Yesterday, I got an email from my broker offering to pay me 20% interest for the privilege of lending out my Lucid shares in one account. This would work out to about an extra $400 per month. I would still own the shares, but own voting rights and be taxed weirdly if there is a dividend (there never has been on this stock). I can still sell it at any time, but cannot use it on margin and/or in options trading. Other than the ever so slight downward pressure on the stock this would imply, I see no downside to an extra $4800 per year on a stock I plan on holding on to anyways.
Scenario B:This idea got me researching options a little bit. I don't want to bet the farm, but in my other account I did my first options trade. The stock is at $24 per share currently. I sold 10 covered calls at a strike price of $26 per share for a total of about $200 for 8/20. As I understand it, I am getting $200 today for selling the right to someone to buy my shares at $26 per share up until the close of business on 8/20, at which time these would expire worthless if the price is under $26 per year. If the price is over $26 per share on 8/20, I will automatically sell my 1,000 shares to cover this, in which case I would still be making money, just not as much as if I was holding it and it went to $27 per share. Worst case scenerio I am forced to sell at more than I paid for today and buy back in at a higher rate if I wish to stay in the stock. Doing this on a weekly basis and never having your options called would imply an extra ~$10,000 per year in income.
So... for my ~$48,000 in stock I can make an extra ~$15,000 in income without the price of the stock rising?
What am I missing here? Why are either of these options bad strategies. How are they risky and is there something here that can bankrupt me I am not tracking?

So this past week was interesting for lucid...

The calls I sold didn't get assigned, but the put I sold did. I ended up buying 100 extra shares of Lucid $1.00 per share cheaper that I would have if I had executed a buy order immediately. I sold my put for a $68 premium at $22.50 when the stock was at about $23.50. It got execute over the weekend when it was at about $22. I sold a bunch of calls at various prices for the next 2 weeks and between this weeks and last weeks options, got an extra $300 or so... interesting.

In other news, Schwab has upped their offer on interest paid to borrow my Lucid shares from 18.5% to 26.5% over the past week. I have a buddy holding 230,000 shares of Lucid who I told about this, and they called their broker to make a similar deal. As of today they are paying 52% interest to borrow his shares... that works out to $8,000 per day on his. I'm happy with my $23 a day to hold stock I was going to hold anyways.

For those who are monitoring on the discord server... my link doesn't work anymore... what am I doing wrong?

#14636 2 years ago

It's always been a "where else do you put your money" game
and right now the market is the best answer
Crypto is fine if you can swallow 50% drops

I played with crypto not much about 20k or so but I'm up almost 10k already. It's crazy and really irresponsible investing, if you sink a lot into it. With that said I think the 100k bitcoin may come true sooner than we think, not from people like me but from crazy gamblers. The so called taper talk along with the dogged determination of Delta to hang around sent the market down big last week...so imagine what would happen when they start raising rates. The best way to position yourself is to buy good stock with great balance sheets and hopefully good dividend yields to ride it out.

#14637 2 years ago

The calls I sold didn't get assigned, but the put I sold did. I ended up buying 100 extra shares of Lucid $1.00 per share cheaper that I would have if I had executed a buy order immediately. I sold my put for a $68 premium at $22.50 when the stock was at about $23.50. It got execute over the weekend when it was at about $22. I sold a bunch of calls at various prices for the next 2 weeks and between this weeks and last weeks options, got an extra $300 or so... interesting.
In other news, Schwab has upped their offer on interest paid to borrow my Lucid shares from 18.5% to 26.5% over the past week. I have a buddy holding 230,000 shares of Lucid who I told about this, and they called their broker to make a similar deal. As of today they are paying 52% interest to borrow his shares... that works out to $8,000 per day on his. I'm happy with my $23 a day to hold stock I was going to hold anyways.
For those who are monitoring on the discord server... my link doesn't work anymore... what am I doing wrong?

Has anyone heard of this type of arrangement here in Canada? Thanks.

#14638 2 years ago

Yesterday I didn't make a single trade as all the meme stocks were tanking. But I swung traded gme, clov and amc earlier in the week. Today I am looking at bit companies like coin and riot.

I'm a fan of BITF, the green bitcoin farming company. It's has some big swings where I've been up as much as 120% (it's in the $3-$4 range) and I'm currently still up 68%. I should have been playing the swings, but I haven't had a lot of free time.

#14639 2 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

I'm a fan of BITF, the green bitcoin farming company. It's has some big swings where I've been up as much as 120% (it's in the $3-$4 range) and I'm currently still up 68%. I should have been playing the swings, but I haven't had a lot of free time.

why not just buy bitcoin and sit on it

#14640 2 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

Sure, I can throw it on my ticker, though I typically won't trade a stock unless I've been looking at it for months. Otherwise I am just guessing.

#14641 2 years ago

Quoted from pinballjah:

Has anyone heard of this type of arrangement here in Canada? Thanks.

I've gotten a few PMs about how I got into this, so I am putting everything I have on it here:

I didn't apply for it, but got this message out of the blue in my email (screenshot below) and am getting a higher rate almost every day. It was 16.5% last week but is 26.5% today. Might be 0 next week. Screenshot of what these messages look like below. Will post updates periodically.

I have a friend I told this about who uses a different broker (TD Ameritrade). He called up his broker and was offered 52%. From what I can tell the catches are:
1. None of the stock can be in options, on loan, or used on margin.
2. All of the shares borrowed will be used to short the stock with your broker being used as the middle man.
3. You need $100,000 in household equity (at least for Schwab) to do this.
4. If the broker goes belly up you are screwed.
5. If they pay a dividend while your shares are loaned out you still get it, but taxes get weird.

Here is the Q&A linked to on Schwab.

Securities Lending Fully Paid (SLFP): FAQs
What is the Securities Lending Fully Paid (SLFP) program?
The SLFP program allows clients who do not have a margin feature in their account and clients who do not have a margin balance in their account to earn income by loaning securities to Schwab. Fully paid securities are securities not being used as collateral for a margin loan.

In addition to being fully paid, the securities Schwab borrows are considered to be in extremely high demand by other investors (hard-to-borrow securities).

Clients who hold these hard-to-borrow securities in fully paid accounts and who meet Schwab's $100,000 minimum household equity requirements for SLFP eligibility may be invited to apply by email.
Is this for a specific stock or are all my stocks eligible for the program?
Generally, only hard-to-borrow securities are eligible for the SLFP program. Hard-to-borrow stocks are in high demand from short sellers, who are willing to pay to borrow shares. Since stock eligibility is based on market demand, not all securities in your account are eligible.

Once enrolled in the program, if additional securities in your account become eligible, Schwab will borrow them from your enrolled account. Schwab will notify you of all borrows, rerates, and returns by email.
What is short selling?
Short selling occurs when someone believes a stock price is too high and they want to capture any potential profits due to a drop in the price of the stock. Short sellers have to locate and borrow shares before executing their sale, and if the stock drops in price, they buy back the shares at the lower price. Short sellers have unlimited risk due to the potential of the stock rising in price or the stock being bought back in at any time if shares are no longer available.

Since your shares can be used to facilitate short sales and/or meet settlement obligations, there is a potential price of the stock will decrease while it is on loan.
How long will my securities be on loan?
The length of time a security is borrowed for varies and because this is based on market demand, there is no guaranteed amount of time that stocks remain on loan. Some stocks are only needed for a few days while others remain on loan for months.

Does the rate or monthly income change? If so, how will I know?
The rate and monthly income are subject to change daily based on market demand. Schwab attempts to pay a 50/50 split of the total revenue earned on the total amount of your loaned securities.

Any changes to the annualized interest rate, securities borrowed or securities returned are communicated by email, potentially daily.
How is my monthly income calculated?
The income earned is calculated on a daily basis by taking the market value of the position multiplied by the interest rate divided by 360 (market value x interest rate / 360). Interest doesn't just accrue when markets are open, but also on weekends and holidays as long as the stock is on loan.

On the first business day of the following month, the total amount earned is paid into the SLFP account, and on the second business day of the month, the income is journaled automatically to the original account.

Will I be able to sell while a stock is being loaned?
You can sell your loaned securities from your SLFP account, at any time. The trade will still have to settle before the proceeds will automatically journal to your original account.

Is my loaned stock held in a separate account?
When you are enrolled in the SLFP program, a supplemental account is created to house the shares on loan. Since SIPC insurance does not cover loaned shares Schwab provides cash collateral of at least 100% of the market value of the securities on loan. The cash collateral is custodied at Charles Schwab Trust Company (CSTC).

The cash collateral is increased or decreased daily as the share price fluctuates. While it is not reflected in your account, this adjustment is made with CSTC, and it is set aside.

The cash collateral will be your only restitution in the event Schwab defaults (i.e., Schwab declares bankruptcy) and shares cannot be returned.

What are the tax consequences for participating in the program?
With taxable accounts (e.g., brokerage, trust, corporate), any income payments of $600 or more a year will generate a 1099-MISC while any trades that you execute within the SLFP account will be reported on a 1099 specifically for the SLFP account.

There is also a possibility of receiving a Payment in Lieu (PIL) of a dividend if a security is on loan past the record date for a dividend. PILs have a different tax consequence, which is generally taxed as ordinary income vs. the qualified dividend tax status. Please contact your tax advisor for any additional questions on the tax rate of PILs.

On non-taxable accounts (e.g., Contributory IRA, Roth IRA, Inherited IRA), all incomes and PILs occur within the non-taxable account. Journals between the SLFP and original non-taxable accounts are non-reportable events, and all regular distributions from the original account still apply.

Will I still have voting right on loaned securities?
No. While the securities are on loan, Schwab will act as owner on the securities, including the right to vote on corporate actions and the right to transfer the loaned securities to others.

I'm no longer interested in participating, what do I need to do?
We understand that in the future you may no longer be interested in participating, and we are available Monday through Friday, from 8:30 a.m. — 4:00 p.m. ET, at 877-793-8872 to process your request.

There are no time minimums or commitments necessary, and once we return your shares, you will be entirely unenrolled from the program. The request is processed in real time, and you will still receive income payments for any days your securities were on loan from the first of the month until the day prior to your unenrollment.

At this time, clients are unable to choose which stocks are borrowed within an enrolled account. While you can always sell or request the shares to be returned at any time, if shares are returned, then it is possible that they can be borrowed again the following day.

Please keep in mind that if you decide to enroll the account again in the future, a new application will be required.

SLFP1 (resized).pngSLFP1 (resized).pngSLFP2 (resized).pngSLFP2 (resized).png
#14642 2 years ago

That is interesting. Looks like a way for the shorts to get a hold of stock so they can cover their positions in the event it takes off by the meme crowd.

a way to eliminate or lessen the short squeezes!

#14643 2 years ago

Anybody have the Fidelity 500 index fund? (FXAIX)

#14644 2 years ago
Quoted from thechakapakuni:

Anybody have the Fidelity 500 index fund? (FXAIX)

I have FSPGX and FLCPX in my 401k....similar funds, why?

#14645 2 years ago

why not just buy bitcoin and sit on it

Oh, I do that too. But this is a stock thread And BITF has gone up a lot faster the BTC in the past couple months.

#14646 2 years ago

So I had over half a million margin call today... All because of 5 cents.

Sharing for the amusement of others...

-So i had 3 short put spreads on $AMZN expiring this past Friday.
-Strikes at $3,200.
-Amazon hovers around $3,200 but closes at $3199.95.
-Short in the money long, not.
-My spreads were pinned
-Turns out I'm getting assigned for 300 shares of $AMZN Saturday.
-I had to hold over the weekend, and my broker tells me to sell before noon Monday (otherwise they will).
-Amazon shoots up Monday, I'm very lucky. Rather than push my luck, I decide to sell right in the first half hour. I ended up making about an extra $5K on getting pinned (I sold all of them around ~$3,220, could have made an extra $15K if I held until later in the morning).
-It was a somewhat stressful weekend. Good thing Amazon is relatively stable.
-Won't make that mistake again.

#14647 2 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

So I had over half a million margin call today... All because of 5 cents.
Sharing for the amusement of others...
-So i had 3 short put spreads on $AMZN expiring this past Friday.
-Strikes at $3,200.
-Amazon hovers around $3,200 but closes at $3199.95.
-Short in the money long, not.
-My spreads were pinned
-Turns out I'm getting assigned for 300 shares of $AMZN Saturday.
-I had to hold over the weekend, and my broker tells me to sell before noon Monday (otherwise they will).
-Amazon shoots up Monday, I'm very lucky. Rather than push my luck, I decide to sell right in the first half hour. I ended up making about an extra $5K on getting pinned (I sold all of them around ~$3,220, could have made an extra $15K if I held until later in the morning).
-It was a somewhat stressful weekend. Good thing Amazon is relatively stable.
-Won't make that mistake again.

There is a great example of why I will never, ever, ever, buy on Margin again. I learned my lesson starting on Black Monday, 1987 and it carried into January, 1988. I rescinded my Margin account right after that. Raised a family along with living life. As I've settled into semi-retirement and have set up new acCOuNts, I've skipped over the Margin agreements on every one. I've received calls stating that I must have "overlooked" that form. I then tell my story. It is pretty funny when the caller is someone who was not even born in 1987. They really believe that the market is going to keep going up. Totally clueless.....

#14648 2 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

There is a great example of why I will never, ever, ever, buy on Margin again. I learned my lesson starting on Black Monday, 1987 and it carried into January, 1988. I rescinded my Margin account right after that. Raised a family along with living life. As I've settled into semi-retirement and have set up new acCOuNts, I've skipped over the Margin agreements on every one. I've received calls stating that I must have "overlooked" that form. I then tell my story. It is pretty funny when the caller is someone who was not even born in 1987. They really believe that the market is going to keep going up. Totally clueless.....

I didn't intend to borrow on margin... I had more than enough cash in my account to cover the spread, which theoretically is the max loss (not accounting for the pin risk, which of course I encountered). Still, I couldn't help wonder what could happen over the weekend which could drastically affect Amazon stock. I mean, it'd be a black swan, BUT it would life changing... and not for the better.

#14649 2 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

I have FSPGX and FLCPX in my 401k....similar funds, why?

Just curious, it’s available in the co options

#14650 2 years ago

Added a position in ZVIA. Went IPO about a month ago. I think they're on-trend and I like the product. They also recently added an ex-Red Bull exec to the team. I also sell many flavors in the museum.

Drink stocks tend to go ballistic once they develop traction. HANS (Hansen's Soda) was explosively profitable even before they changed their name and product line in 2012. Pretty sure you can guess who they are today. A real "monster" of a company...
zevia (resized).jpgzevia (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 12.95
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 20,997 posts in this topic. You are on page 293 of 420.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stock-market-traders/page/293?hl=famdockevin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.