Image 4-6-24 at 11.42?AM (resized).jpeg
IMG_7948 (resized).jpeg
kuiil-have-spoken.gif
200w.gif
gold24 (resized).jpg
counting_coins_02.gif
IMG_1659 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 21,015 posts in this topic. You are on page 280 of 421.
#13951 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

You own Apple. Great.
AT&T. Why? Dividend?

It was for the dividend which is still intact until the deal is done next year. I don't have a huge position, and I'm optimistic about how well the new company will do in the streaming space.

#13952 2 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

I would not be touching DIDI right now. To each their own.

this is why I am staying clear of most Chinese stocks
China's government is just too unpredictable as far as business regulation

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/16/tech-crackdown-chinese-regulators-visit-didi-for-cybersecurity-probe.html

#13953 2 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

this is why I am staying clear of most Chinese stocks
China's government is just too unpredictable as far as business regulation
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/16/tech-crackdown-chinese-regulators-visit-didi-for-cybersecurity-probe.html

Exactly. Too many outside factors and state actors that can impact this and other Chinese stocks at this time. DIDI definitely has a target on it.

#13954 2 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Exactly. Too many outside factors and state actors that can impact this and other Chinese stocks at this time. DIDI definitely has a target on it.

Would NIO be included in that list? Been wanting to get rid of it for a long time. Only one more month to go to complete 1 year and pay lower taxes on it.

#13955 2 years ago

Oil stocks hit my stop limit. I'm sure I will rebuy but it's crossing a threshold I didn't think it would.

#13956 2 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Would NIO be included in that list? Been wanting to get rid of it for a long time. Only one more month to go to complete 1 year and pay lower taxes on it.

Dont track it so dont know. I am not a fan of the stock though. You will have to do some digging.

#13957 2 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:Would NIO be included in that list? Been wanting to get rid of it for a long time. Only one more month to go to complete 1 year and pay lower taxes on it.

Worth reading this on IBD: https://www.investors.com/news/best-ev-stocks-buy-now-electric-cars/

#13958 2 years ago

I was buying a few big name China stocks like BABA and Bidu but they’ve not done well lately. I think it’s not a stabile way to operate when the CEOs are liable to disappear or who knows what at the whim of a dictatorial government.

#13959 2 years ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

I see very little discussion about placing LIMIT orders, but as folks are recently asking about buying value, combined with buying on the 'dips' it's worth bringing it up again. For noob traders, its worth considering as it allows the platform itself to watch for certain prices, and then execute trades when it reaches that price.
Example:
Say you would like to own a particular stock: DIS

Worth reading this on IBD: https://www.investors.com/news/best-ev-stocks-buy-now-electric-cars/

I would never ever place a market order - Never!
always a limit order

#13960 2 years ago

always a limit order

I was quoting (apparently unsuccessfully) someone else's post. I too would never place a MARKET order. I have now fixed my 'quote'. The point I was making is NIO players have a bunch of choices, if they want to ride the EV wave....

#13961 2 years ago

I place market orders all the time.

#13962 2 years ago

I always do limit orders. You can really get shafted on market orders if you are unlucky.

What are people's opinion of the current downturn? Temporary? Signs of more downside? Wide consolidation? Back to nearly nothing or down on so many stocks from Jan.

#13964 2 years ago
Quoted from edward472:

I have such a hard time buying more Apple because my basis is so low, but I also am still holding AT&T. So there's

Ugh. Wtf are you even saying Kvan! Come on brother
What they have in the pipeline? Lol. Ok. That’s an unbelievable statement on its face
If it makes you feel better, I’m down a net of about $600k despite my Apple calls in the last week, from an all time high. Patience. Watch and learn
To say that is mind boggling on your part. Let’s go!
While the 10 yr drops again

I was replying to the Apple calls....options are not long term right? So I was cautioning him about being absolute regarding the bounce of Apple after earnings....didn't happen last time despite a huge quarter. Can it go up this time, yeah maybe, it's still risky as hell. Again we're talking trades and not long term portfolio positioning. Same with AMZN, I think they'll have a blow out too...meanwhile MRNA and MSFT are going up everyday.

#13965 2 years ago
Quoted from rai:

why?

#13966 2 years ago
Quoted from rai:

As do I.

#13967 2 years ago

They get executed. I don’t have to wander around changing the limit until it executes. You can also have the price go against you while you wait it can go either way.

I trade heavily traded stocks so a penny or two is not going to matter.

#13968 2 years ago
Quoted from rai:

They get executed. I don’t have to wander around changing the limit until it executes. You can also have the price go against you while you wait it can go either way.
I trade heavily traded stocks so a penny or two is not going to matter.

so do a limit order with a wide range

#13969 2 years ago

so do a limit order with a wide range

Yeah, if I do a limit that I know I want it to go through, I just add a cent or two to it. I did a market order early in my stock trading that went in at over a dollar more than I put in. Was not happy.

#13970 2 years ago

Damn, this market is killing me the last 2 weeks or so. Guessing we are gonna have the covid drop again. 2nd chance at buying in low?

#13971 2 years ago
Quoted from DadofTwins:

Damn, this market is killing me the last 2 weeks or so. Guessing we are gonna have the covid drop again. 2nd chance at buying in low?

It's not going that low...it will bounce next week. Although modestly. As long as the consumer is buying and the Fed is in QE mode this market will go up....it won't be even cross the board obviously. Big blue chips names will benefit, the rest not so much.

#13972 2 years ago
Quoted from DadofTwins:

last two weeks have been brutal indeed.

#13973 2 years ago

Have been pleased with GRN’s resilience so far. Only a niche play but one which may grow in importance over time.

#13974 2 years ago
Quoted from DadofTwins:

Red flashing lights and alarm sirens going off all over my house, 2 Nib’s just evaporated on my labtop

E11E1B6F-E84E-4E2F-ADF1-765C2B57578D (resized).jpegE11E1B6F-E84E-4E2F-ADF1-765C2B57578D (resized).jpeg

#13975 2 years ago

Investing is certainly on expert mode.

#13977 2 years ago

always a limit order

In the '80's, it was place a phone call to your broker and place your order. Market orders got filled and you learned the price you just paid. Limit orders were entered and you got a call later (if you wanted) with the news or you got the bill with a surprise total. Don't forget the 45 cents for "postage & registration"....

#13978 2 years ago
062B8B9F-6183-40FD-B56A-B51BB25E3C14.gif062B8B9F-6183-40FD-B56A-B51BB25E3C14.gif
#13979 2 years ago
Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

Red flashing lights and alarm sirens going off all over my house, 2 Nib’s just evaporated on my labtop

#13980 2 years ago

Anyone here still in on PSTH? Saw a few posts a while back.

#13981 2 years ago

I have a small position and it's down a lot. The offer is also less than I paid...no win situation. Thankfully a very small position.

#13982 2 years ago

One of the multitude of problems with psth is confusion about how the various brokerages will handle the umg aspect.

TD Ameritrade for example has told people

1) they don’t know. TBD.
2) they will insta liquidate the shares and give you the cash.
3) you will be fine.

Kinda kills the whole dang point if they liquidate 2/3rds of the deal.

#13983 2 years ago
Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

[quoted image]

Don’t lose sight of your gameplan through the chop we are going through. I was down $850k this week, despite Apple, but up more than that the previous 3 weeks. I’ve said before, DON’T do it like I do

Diversify with at least 25 stocks/etfs, buy on sale, have conviction in what you are doing, sell losses in taxable accounts, etc. etc.

Did the buzzer just go off in the 4th quarter and it’s game over? Lol. It’s a LONG TERM slog……

"the stock market is a device for transferring money from the impatient to the patient". Warren Buffet.

A lot of the big oil service providers report next week. I'll be interested to see what T. Lee has to say after being out for a week.

GL!

#13984 2 years ago

I think part of the delay of getting the UMG shares is to allow for the board vote to set up an ADR. Alot of their investors are in Robinhood and similar platforms. So holding the shares temporarily will keep brokers from liquidating.
Any PSTH held on margin could be an issue when all that value disappears for a few months though

#13985 2 years ago

Overall sentiment seems to be that the inflation scare is exaggerated and that the market should still trend upwards the rest of 2021...

then the caveat of "just have to choose carefully"...well la dee fucking da. Genius.

FAAMNG shouldn't be impacted by inflation supposedly. Lawsuits might.

#13986 2 years ago

I think OIH will be fine, my expectation is that I end up rebuying at a higher price than the stop loss, an opec deal may happen tomorrow. Having said that, part of the issue with oil is that it's in the energy sector, and everything energy is selling off.

#13987 2 years ago

Guys, just wondering your thoughts on the financial sector. I was listening to a podcast this week and they were very pro the long term outlook of the big bank financial sector. Just curious on an ETF like VFH or an individual like GS.

#13988 2 years ago
Quoted from aaron6920:

Guys, just wondering your thoughts on the financial sector. I was listening to a podcast this week and they were very pro the long term outlook of the big bank financial sector. Just curious on an ETF like VFH or an individual like GS.

VFH and XLF are both great funds, they yield is almost 2% so think of it as defensive play not a growth play. You can park your money there to make a few percent while the market gyrates...Goldman is a pretty great stock, but if you're thinking of getting into GS or MS now it may be the wrong time...those individual stocks have gone up quite a lot since last year. With that said there is good chance GS, MS and JPM will go up if the interest rates gets hiked, if you want to be exposed to the financials in stock form rather than an ETF those 3 are great investments.

#13989 2 years ago
Quoted from RTR:Anyone here still in on PSTH? Saw a few posts a while back.

Looks like the UMG deal fell apart.
Hits just keep coming.

#13990 2 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Hits just keep coming.

#13991 2 years ago

Indices are down BIG! Is this the beginning of another shutdown?

#13992 2 years ago

Ice, U still holding those Oct calls?

#13993 2 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Hits just keep coming.

Seems like a positive to me. Nobody wanted UMG.

#13994 2 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Indices are down BIG! Is this the beginning of another shutdown?

Buying opportunity
I have confidence in the vaccines and the ability to modify them quickly if required for new strains

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20210718/Pfizer-BioNTech-and-Moderna-COVID-19-vaccines-establish-recall-responses-to-reinfection.aspx

#13995 2 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

Seems like a positive to me. Nobody wanted UMG.

Agreed UMG deal was bleh but it doesn’t inspire confidence that they put so much time and effort into something so wrong.

Really hope for the longs he pulls a rabbit out of his hat and makes me eat crow.

(Mixing metaphors is fun).

#13996 2 years ago

Buying opportunity
I have confidence in the vaccines and the ability to modify them quickly if required for new strains
https://www.news-medical.net/news/20210718/Pfizer-BioNTech-and-Moderna-COVID-19-vaccines-establish-recall-responses-to-reinfection.aspx

Agree with Bill. The science is battle tested and works. You have a confluence of events of politics, messaging, seasonality, and geo political crap going on so people are just getting antsy. Just breathe and ride it out, and buy where it makes sense. I am on vacation at home this week so will be largely ignoring the market gyrations this week. Might not be a bad week to do that.

#13997 2 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Agree with Bill. The science is battle tested and works. You have a confluence of events of politics, messaging, seasonality, and geo political crap going on so people are just getting antsy. Just breathe and ride it out, and buy where it makes sense. I am on vacation at home this week so will be largely ignoring the market gyrations this week. Might not be a bad week to do that.

Buying opportunity

Thank you both!

#13998 2 years ago

Glad I got stopped mostly out of the market on Friday. Covid fears aren't going to magically end soon, even if lockdowns seem unlikely. I am also not so sure that's the only explanation for what's going on right now.

Will just watch closely the market to see where the bottom is. But I do have my price targets for certain stocks if they actually go down that low.

#13999 2 years ago

Bought an initial position in AMAT this morning

It worth repeating the quote ICE posted above

Quoted from iceman44:

"the stock market is a device for transferring money from the impatient to the patient". Warren Buffet.

#14000 2 years ago

Volatility Index up 24% today.

Edit: Now 34%... rising by the minute.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 12.95
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 21,015 posts in this topic. You are on page 280 of 421.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stock-market-traders/page/280 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.