Image 4-6-24 at 11.42?AM (resized).jpeg
IMG_7948 (resized).jpeg
kuiil-have-spoken.gif
200w.gif
gold24 (resized).jpg
counting_coins_02.gif
IMG_1659 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 21,013 posts in this topic. You are on page 279 of 421.
#13901 2 years ago

Wow..was holding, now it just went really deep red...the pain seems to have begun. Not a fan of adding on the way down.

#13902 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I am still holding. Debating on whether to sell before or after earnings.
Up 176% or $575k since June 21st. Lucky. Think it might be a buy on the rumor sell on news event again BUT because it consolidated for 6 months who knows

Would you sell OTM calls in the shorter term?

#13903 2 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

Would you sell OTM calls in the shorter term?

Long term LEAPS, Jan 2023 but not short term after this run

#13904 2 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

Z, TDOC, FSLY, and NVTA are absolutely crushing me right now. I never planned to have such a large position in any of those but I have been buying more as it dips for months now.

been there done that
always difficult to cut losses and run

#13905 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Long term LEAPS, Jan 2023 but not short term after this run

I meant selling calls against the Oct20 calls you mentioned holding. Is there a reason you wouldn't sell OTM calls a week or two out on a small reversal to pocket some funds and/or hedge a bit?

#13906 2 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

been there done that
always difficult to cut losses and run

i don't know if I should do that or buy more

#13907 2 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

i don't know if I should do that or buy more

that's the million dollar question
have to ask yourself why you originally purchased shares and if the thesis is still true

#13908 2 years ago

have to ask yourself why you originally purchased shares

Because I saw them mentioned in this f*%#ing thread! lol . that's what I get, no ones fault but my own.

#13909 2 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

Z, TDOC, FSLY, and NVTA are absolutely crushing me right now. I never planned to have such a large position in any of those but I have been buying more as it dips for months now.

Sometimes I throw a few hundred or a grand at stocks just so they are in my portfolio and I can track them to see if I wanna go in deeper.
FSLY -36.59%
NVTA -45.03%

I’m glad those are two I stayed at the surface on

#13910 2 years ago

I own NVTA, but bought in at $29.85 - at this point it's a hold for me

#13911 2 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

I completely understand buying more on the way down to reduce your cost basis, but sometimes all you are doing is trying to catch a falling knife.

#13912 2 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

I like Zillow as a company. Never traded their stock. The housing bubble should pop soon, it already has to some extent here (houses are taking 2-3 weeks to sell instead of bidding wars on day one). It may have more to drop, if it does I'll look into the stock some more.

TDOC I said multiple times last year how overvalued I thought it was. That was in the upper 100s, right before it shot to 300+. It's down over 50%, but still looks rich to me. Maybe around 80 I'd look at it.

I bought FSLY and lost a bundle on that one. Market cap looks low enough to me now, but it seems to have a lot of competitors and doesn't make a profit yet.

NVTA I traded from 30 -> 33 last month, now I'm back in at 29.50. Small position, 500 shares. I think it has potential to be a multi-bagger in the future.

POSH and UPST have been my main two trading stocks. I made some horrible buys on POSH, but have made up for them and then some. Selling puts and selling covered calls has me up about $5k in realized gains where at one time I was down $15k. UPST isn't for the faint of heart. It's repeatedly going from low 110s to low 130s and back in just a matter of 2-3 days. I have a lot of realized gains on that one, but I'm already down $3k on what I bought this week. A lot of places love this stock. Josh Brown (one of the few guys on CNBC more than Tom Lee) has it as his top pick for the rest of the year. Motley Fool keeps having it as one of their top 5 stocks to buy now. I could see it as a 10-bagger in 5 years. I tend to only hold trading positions for 1-4 weeks, but that one I might ride and keep selling calls against for a while.

I've been trading CLOV for about a month. Have about 3k realized gains on it, but down 4k unrealized. It's a meme stock than can double in a day, but it also has potential to be a profitable company in a few years. Analysts are piling on right now downgrading it at the lows with the meme euphoria dying down. It'll be back, but I'm not putting more money in it right now.

My one dividend aristocrat is killing me this month. WBA beat on earnings, beat on revenue, raised guidance, and dropped almost 20% since. It will double someday or be bought out / go private. In the meantime, 4% dividends reinvesting. I've had this one for 3 years, anywhere from 500-3000 shares at any given time. Took my position from 500 -> 1300 on the latest drop.

#13913 2 years ago

Housing market is still crazy. Was visiting with my cousin who is a realtor this weekend and while I was there he got a call just sold a house at 200% over asking. INSANE.

#13914 2 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

My one dividend aristocrat is killing me this month. WBA beat on earnings, beat on revenue, raised guidance, and dropped almost 20% since. It will double someday or be bought out / go private. In the meantime, 4% dividends reinvesting. I've had this one for 3 years, anywhere from 500-3000 shares at any given time. Took my position from 500 -> 1300 on the latest drop.

Everyone believes WBA has been doing so well because people have been going there for vaccines and thats what's been driving their numbers. It doesn't matter what kind of numbers they put up. Its been on my radar but I haven't pulled the trigger

#13915 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I am still holding. Debating on whether to sell before or after earnings.
Up 176% or $575k since June 21st. Lucky. Think it might be a buy on the rumor sell on news event again BUT because it consolidated for 6 months who knows
Helps to offset downturn in PINS and energy for the moment

Same boat XLE calls taking a hit but they are Jan 2022. But AAPL August $140 calls looking strong. Thinking of selling half before AAPL earnings and half after. Could be a Nike Earnings situation with upside or could be Momentum sell the news earnings. Not sure. It’s coming.

And my “boat” is a lot smaller size than your boat Ice.

#13916 2 years ago
Quoted from edward472:

Everyone believes WBA has been doing so well because people have been going there for vaccines and thats what's been driving their numbers. It doesn't matter what kind of numbers they put up. Its been on my radar but I haven't pulled the trigger

I think CVS is the better stock

#13917 2 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Well... STKS is down 40% today... Down under $1 a share again. Didn't bite last time. Don't think I'm touching it this time.

This decision aged poorly...

#13918 2 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

This decision aged poorly...

Oh yeah.. I got in on STKS at $1.15.. it went to $2.40 when the pre covid high was around $4 so I was like.. double my money, sweet.. sell it.

now it's at $10.. well $8 today highsight.. should have yolo'd it and I'd be retired now.

#13919 2 years ago

Buying more TSM and adding GNOG to the portfolio.

Both are long terms hold for me.

#13920 2 years ago

you GNOG buyers should also look at GAN

#13921 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Housing market is still crazy. Was visiting with my cousin who is a realtor this weekend and while I was there he got a call just sold a house at 200% over asking. INSANE.

As in the house sold for 3x the asking price? Like a $500k house selling for $1.5 million?

#13922 2 years ago
Quoted from TRAMD:

As in the house sold for 3x the asking price? Like a $500k house selling for $1.5 million?

Yes. Granted, I don't know the details to know if it was way underpriced or not...but the way he spoke about it there was a 3 way bidding war.

#13923 2 years ago

Usually when a house sells for way over asking it was listed way under it's value. But it is a good strategy in a sellers market that usually nets homeowners more than if they actually listed it accurately.

#13924 2 years ago

That normally holds true, but you have to keep in mind that houses are going for asking price or more within hours of being listed. And these are not underpriced.

#13925 2 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

I meant selling calls against the Oct20 calls you mentioned holding. Is there a reason you wouldn't sell OTM calls a week or two out on a small reversal to pocket some funds and/or hedge a bit?

That's a good idea, i'm not much of a "hedging guy" but it's def a smart play.

However, Apple is acting like it's going to move higher into earnings. I'm just not good on short term movements.

#13926 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

That normally holds true, but you have to keep in mind that houses are going for asking price or more within hours of being listed. And these are not underpriced.

Yes that's perfectly normal in a sellers market. Prices can change pretty dramatically month to month. It can seem crazy, or nonsensical, but there's usually sense there.

#13927 2 years ago

you GNOG buyers should also look at GAN

Love some GAN long term after getting cut in half from Feb.

IF some of you guys have LOSSES in taxable accounts with these high fliers then trade OUT of them in the short term to BOOK THE LOSS the tax purposes and buy back into another similar stock in the asset class OR wait until the 30 days on the wash rule to buy it back. 30 days is nothing.

"Let your winners run and be quick to sell your losers". You can always buy them back.

That said, you might be taking the 3-5 yr approach (i'd still take losses on wash rule) and buying on dips. Are the fundamentals still there to keep buying on dips?

PATIENCE is hard, like making pinball, gotta let the story play out. You should have 20-25 stocks minimum anyhow.

#13928 2 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Same boat XLE calls taking a hit but they are Jan 2022. But AAPL August $140 calls looking strong. Thinking of selling half before AAPL earnings and half after. Could be a Nike Earnings situation with upside or could be Momentum sell the news earnings. Not sure. It’s coming.
And my “boat” is a lot smaller size than your boat Ice.

That's the thing Pinny, and i thought the exact same thing with NIKE and China and its results. Apple has got to be in that same camp with China and Nike like results this quarter.

That's a good point and observation.

#13929 2 years ago

My man Tommy Lee is on f ing vacation this week and thus no commentary from him! I'll be interested to see if his outlook and position has changed given the 10 yr being stuck in mud, earnings beats thus far are at 87% on the S&P 500 and Energy.

The institutional guys are betting heavy on Oil "futures" so there is a disconnect right now, if they are right then the energy stocks are lagging WAY behind. Patience, got to keep telling myself on this energy play.

What's the potential bear case? Valuations are high and leverage is at peak levels, usually not a good combination. The 10 yr is indicating a soft economy and that Powell is right.

Could we end up with "Stagflation" in 2022 or 2023? Combine that with any STUPID tax hikes into this recovery, along with inflation and that's exactly where we might go.

#13930 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

That's the thing Pinny, and i thought the exact same thing with NIKE and China and its results. Apple has got to be in that same camp with China and Nike like results this quarter.
That's a good point and observation.

Does this mean you are holding the Oct calls after earnings?

#13931 2 years ago

Citi's Jim Suva went to $170 on Apple, JPM now $175 and my favorites Dan Ives and Gene Munster make Apple their top big tech pick (not really that hard right?).

Have you seen the pic of the Apple car that's coming? Wow.

Greatest marketing, technology innovation, human capital company on the planet and it should only keep getting stronger.

Adding SQ to my 10 yr buy and hold model.

#13932 2 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Haven't decided yet. Let's see how the market acts heading into that week. Maybe selling half before is the right play, conservative play.

#13933 2 years ago

I think CVS is the better stock

No doubt it has been. I traded it a bit in 2019. More than double the market cap, quite a bit higher PE, but about half the dividend. I think they'll converge at some point. I'm hoping the VillageMD roll out is a game changer for WBA.

They did their yearly div raise yesterday. Second year in a row it was only a penny. Last year made sense with Covid, but I expected a lot more this time around. Disappointing.

#13934 2 years ago

I've been in and out of oil where I see weakness or other opportunities, currently as in as one can be with earnings and what I predict will be a good month of August.

If by the end of summer oil stocks are at this level or not far above, or anywhere below by the end of summer then the bearish arguments might take over my thinking.

I definitely was really down on oil in April, but only for a dark couple days. Rightly or wrongly I have a habit of swing trading my long positions, though this time the swinging could have been done a LOT better.

It would be pretty funny if Tom actually changed his tune right before a major catalyst. Though anytime he's said "choppy" it seems to be code for sell this thing.

#13935 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

My man Tommy Lee is on f ing vacation this week and thus no commentary from him! I'll be interested to see if his outlook and position has changed given the 10 yr being stuck in mud, earnings beats thus far are at 87% on the S&P 500 and Energy.
The institutional guys are betting heavy on Oil "futures" so there is a disconnect right now, if they are right then the energy stocks are lagging WAY behind. Patience, got to keep telling myself on this energy play.
What's the potential bear case? Valuations are high and leverage is at peak levels, usually not a good combination. The 10 yr is indicating a soft economy and that Powell is right.
Could we end up with "Stagflation" in 2022 or 2023? Combine that with any STUPID tax hikes into this recovery, along with inflation and that's exactly where we might go.

Ahhem....(cough) I remember someone else saying these same things

#13936 2 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Apple's earnings are going to be good again, the stock may not go up though....(look at last earnings) depends on what they have in the development pipe, if there is nothing exciting coming they will take profits. You can still make a few bucks between now and the conf call.

#13937 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Citi's Jim Suva went to $170 on Apple, JPM now $175 and my favorites Dan Ives and Gene Munster make Apple their top big tech pick (not really that hard right?).
Have you seen the pic of the Apple car that's coming? Wow.
Greatest marketing, technology innovation, human capital company on the planet and it should only keep getting stronger.
Adding SQ to my 10 yr buy and hold model.

I have such a hard time buying more Apple because my basis is so low, but I also am still holding AT&T. So there's a good chance I have no idea what I'm doing.

#13938 2 years ago

Me buying a couple hundred grand of stock yesterday:

R.d37eb7f7ed1a01518c366fcc10c4be92.gifR.d37eb7f7ed1a01518c366fcc10c4be92.gif
#13939 2 years ago

I thought about it...and was even gREEN early....now...END TIMES ARE NEAR!..

seriously though, we fell right thru those supports..ouch. How low will we goooooo....

I'm just holding on.

#13940 2 years ago

It'll bounce back next week. Another head fake....

#13941 2 years ago

SABR? Still holding this @ DBLM? Dropped pretty far, kind of looking like a buy right now.

#13942 2 years ago
Quoted from DadofTwins:

SABR? Still holding this @ DBLM? Dropped pretty far, kind of looking like a buy right now.

Yep, 8000 shares. Actually might buy some more. I liked DAL’s numbers and these are all good throghlines for SABR.

#13943 2 years ago
Quoted from edward472:

I have such a hard time buying more Apple because my basis is so low, but I also am still holding AT&T. So there's a good chance I have no idea what I'm doing.

You own Apple. Great.

AT&T. Why? Dividend?

#13944 2 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Apple's earnings are going to be good again, the stock may not go up though....(look at last earnings) depends on what they have in the development pipe, if there is nothing exciting coming they will take profits. You can still make a few bucks between now and the conf call.

Ugh. Wtf are you even saying Kvan! Come on brother

What they have in the pipeline? Lol. Ok. That’s an unbelievable statement on its face

If it makes you feel better, I’m down a net of about $600k despite my Apple calls in the last week, from an all time high. Patience. Watch and learn

To say that is mind boggling on your part. Let’s go!

While the 10 yr drops again

#13945 2 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Ahhem....(cough) I remember someone else saying these same things

Like loading into financials with the 10 yr going to 2%. Cough cough. Lol

Come on baller!

Btw, love me some DAL Db!

#13946 2 years ago

The 10 year is messed up, in fact the whole bond market is messed up right now. The glut of cash in the banking system is causing the reverse repos to go off the rails, and money chasing bonds for collateral has sunk the rates back down. Zoltan thinks that it's going to get even worse over the next month, the liquidity that's going to be sucked out of the system is going to be very high. Can stocks still go up during that? Yes. Is there a risk of a financial system issue during that time? Yes.

I actually put some money in bonds today. I never put money in bonds. But with multiple sources in the know saying that until the reverse repo thing resolves itself, rates are going lower I might as well put some money towards it. To me, it doesn't make sense that bonds are going lower with the inflation readings that have came out, but maybe they're looking at the fact that the US will probably have 200k+ cases a day in the next 6 weeks and facing issues again.

#13947 2 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

I actually put some money in bonds today.

Wow. Gl with that

#13948 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Wow. Gl with that

It's just in the TLT and similar bond ETF's. But since the reverse repo stuff started happening late April, the bond index is up close to 10%. They think rates could reach 1% and an additional trillion being in reverse repo by late August. Over the next 1.5 months, despite the inflation rising, I'm trusting the experts on this. The technical indicators on the market indicate that there's an elevated risk of a 5% to 10% correction in the next month, so if the bond thing starts going sideways it's easy to get out.

When the reverse repo resolves or rates look like they're reversing, I'll get out. It's not a long term play.

#13949 2 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

It's just in the TLT and similar bond ETF's. But since the reverse repo stuff started happening late April, the bond index is up close to 10%. They think rates could reach 1% and an additional trillion being in reverse repo by late August. Over the next 1.5 months, despite the inflation rising, I'm trusting the experts on this. The technical indicators on the market indicate that there's an elevated risk of a 5% to 10% correction in the next month, so if the bond thing starts going sideways it's easy to get out.
When the reverse repo resolves or rates look like they're reversing, I'll get out. It's not a long term play.

1%. I don’t disagree short term. BUT, we have gone from 1.7% to 1.3% after EVERYONE was saying 2% next stop.

It’s so unpredictable right now with all the variables. Whatever Santelli says I go with.

This economy? Jobs? Inflation? Tax Hikes?

I don’t know. Low rates great for growth stocks.

#13950 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Low rates great for growth stocks.

I agree, but they haven't really been the past few months. Everything has just kind of gone sideways since the highs earlier in the year except for big tech the last couple weeks where they've taken off after doing nothing for 6 to 9 months. The TLT is outperforming the S&P 500 the past few months in a high inflation environment (which shouldn't ever happen in my opinion).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 12.95
Boards
PinSound

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 18.95
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

There are 21,013 posts in this topic. You are on page 279 of 421.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stock-market-traders/page/279 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.