kuiil-have-spoken.gif
200w.gif
gold24 (resized).jpg
counting_coins_02.gif
IMG_1659 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
hawks.gif

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 20,989 posts in this topic. You are on page 274 of 420.
#13651 2 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

For all the naysayers, if you are not in tech right now you are missing out. Some of the stocks that I am in are more trades that were beaten down like FSLY, AI, and PLTR, where something like MSFT and APPL are long term holds. I can not get specific for...reasons...in some of the sectors but I am a big fan of cloud, analytics, and data plays right now. CRM and CROWD are two stocks I am also very high on.

I love tech too, don't get me wrong, but at the right time and at right price. No offense to you but this is the wrong time for some of the new comers to invest in tech, if you're into these names for a while or if they've been you're core holding then yeah by all means, but if you're thinking to buy in now....be aware, tech is at an all tine high.

#13652 2 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

I love tech too, don't get me wrong, but at the right time and at right price. No offense to you but this is the wrong time for some of the new comers to invest in tech, if you're into these names for a while or if they've been you're core holding then yeah by all means, but if you're thinking to buy in now....be aware, tech is at an all tine high.

None taken but I disagree. I have never gotten out of tech and have been adding more. Tech is going to over perform over the next few quarters.

#13653 2 years ago

In my retirement index funds, I moved a big chunk out of tech funds to dividend funds in February when things were rocky, but I moved that money back into tech funds about 2 weeks ago. The tech funds have vastly outperformed the dividend funds in that short time period and I'm expecting that trend to continue. My more fun day trading and growth account I'm more active in has seen the biggest growth in tech and pot stocks over the past 3 months.

#13654 2 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

None taken but I disagree. I have never gotten out of tech and have been adding more. Tech is going to over perform over the next few quarters.

Quoted from nwpinball:

In my retirement index funds, I moved a big chunk out of tech funds to dividend funds in February when things were rocky, but I moved that money back into tech funds about 2 weeks ago. The tech funds have vastly outperformed the dividend funds in that short time period and I'm expecting that trend to continue. My more fun day trading and growth account I'm more active in has seen the biggest growth in tech and pot stocks over the past 3 months.

Ok, I hope it works out..really, I want us to all make money. I'm buying more financials and infrastructure plays

#13655 2 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Ok, I hope it works out..really, I want us to all make money.

That's the goal, let's all make some money!

#13656 2 years ago

Today's market snapshot:

stocks (resized).pngstocks (resized).png
#13657 2 years ago

Looks mixed. I might be wrong but IMO we’ve hit a ceiling. I just dumped all my Tesla stocks today at the peak. It’s just sketch to see if it goes any higher at this point and I’m not a long term stock holder. Which brings me to this question;What are you guys doing to peel off your gains? Do you put it in cash, mutual funds, etc? Or are you ridding till you die! Also I don’t think I’ve seen anybody here talking about mutual funds at all, are you guys just trading stocks? Curious on the mix you are using. I’d like to see Icemans pool of funds if he uses mutual funds.

#13658 2 years ago
Quoted from thechakapakuni:

I’d like to see Icemans pool of funds if he uses mutual funds.

NEVER mutual funds. You can do same thing with ETF's for much less cost, transparency of fees and much more tax efficiency and control.

Spiders are an excellent way to play sectors of the S&P 500. XLI, XLB, XLE, XLF, XLF etc etc. Any Vanguard/Blackrock/Fidelity ETF for the particular sector you think is working.

#13659 2 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

And next 3-5 yrs. short term dips? Sure. I use them to buy more of what we like

5101EC0B-23AC-494A-B3F0-9D5D5DB93AF5 (resized).jpeg5101EC0B-23AC-494A-B3F0-9D5D5DB93AF5 (resized).jpeg
#13660 2 years ago
DB8558B1-CC96-4E07-A65B-9843C673B997 (resized).jpegDB8558B1-CC96-4E07-A65B-9843C673B997 (resized).jpeg
#13661 2 years ago

I have some larger positions in CCL and NCLH. I see CCL is looking to raise a little more funds and the price has dropped. I'm thinking of scooping more up but am unsure at the moment. Buy now or look for it to drop a couple bucks yet? iceman44 DBLM

#13662 2 years ago
Quoted from DadofTwins:

I have some larger positions in CCL and NCLH. I see CCL is looking to raise a little more funds and the price has dropped. I'm thinking of scooping more up but am unsure at the moment. Buy now or look for it to drop a couple bucks yet? iceman44 DBLM

Tom Lee thinks they will outperform over the second half of the year

AB8A475C-BB2C-4DF2-8FC3-F1B13D919D41 (resized).jpegAB8A475C-BB2C-4DF2-8FC3-F1B13D919D41 (resized).jpeg
#13663 2 years ago

I can't disagree with Ice and Tom Lee. I have only been on one cruise (for work, no less) and it is just not my vibe. However, cruising greatly appeals to a large demographic who can not wait to get back to traveling. A lot of companies have used the pandemic to issue shares to raise capital and by and large it has worked out for them. I think this is more of a middle range play from a time perspective but if this is an area that you like, buy it at the discount.

#13664 2 years ago

Anyone get out the popcorn and watch the action on sofi today?

The volume oh the volume on (partial) lockup expiry.

#13665 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

NEVER mutual funds. You can do same thing with ETF's for much less cost, transparency of fees and much more tax efficiency and control.
Spiders are an excellent way to play sectors of the S&P 500. XLI, XLB, XLE, XLF, XLF etc etc. Any Vanguard/Blackrock/Fidelity ETF for the particular sector you think is working.

Ah, I figured you’d had something else. How much are your active investments vs cash? I’m about 60/40 rn. I don’t expect a tumble but I’m finding less stocks I’m willing to risk at this level and moving to boring slow growth stable investments.

#13666 2 years ago
Quoted from thechakapakuni:

Ah, I figured you’d had something else. How much are your active investments vs cash? I’m about 60/40 rn. I don’t expect a tumble but I’m finding less stocks I’m willing to risk at this level and moving to boring slow growth stable investments.

It's tough to buy at these levels, especially tech. I expect Apple to rally and catch up on this next earnings report and forward guidance.

TTD is back to $800/$80 levels based on Google saying they won't alter their "cookies" until 2023, which won't matter anyhow to how TTD does it.

PINS is pushing $80 again. I'm way overweight on that one!

SE near all time highs. A top 10 hedge fund holding, not that it means much.

Take a look at where these stocks were trading 2 weeks and 30 days ago. Major run. But i'd have to wait for another pullback to add here.

Even still, i'm holding a core position for the long-term no matter what, thinking 5x-10x over next decade.

The next six months? I think Apple and those "epicenter" type stocks look really good.

I never sit in cash, all in. I'll pull from my business to buy on a dip if the opportunity presents itself.

I mean you can get some excellent dividends on a lot of fairly stable companies and REIT's right now as placeholders.

#13667 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

My advice to people is to by brk.b and let Buffett manage your exposure to financials. He might know a thing or two although i'm sure many people would also go against that history. LOL

Good advice IceMan!

#13668 2 years ago
Quoted from DadofTwins:

I grabbed more CCL (500 shares) at the low today. Got to buy during the sale.

#13669 2 years ago
Quoted from kidchrisso:

I grabbed more CCL (500 shares) at the low today. Got to buy during the sale.

I got in CCL at 14 last October, just sitting and waiting.

#13670 2 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

I got in CCL at 14 last October, just sitting and waiting.

10/30/20 was my best buy at $12.69.....just waiting for a double from todays price....boom boom

#13671 2 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

Today's market snapshot:
[quoted image]

Where do you get this from?

#13672 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I never sit in cash

Cash was king 08-09…I remember fantasizing back then if only I was all cash.

#13673 2 years ago
Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

Exactly. That’s why I’m holding a bunch. I actually thought about pulling out some because if you remember, in 08/09 you couldn’t even get a bank to give you a car loan if you had the entire amount sitting in a bank account to pay off the car. The fact the bank is throwing this at me now is a huge red flag we are headed to Straight Outta Low Cash

5403A4AC-77A5-4BB7-B3E0-567D3A904B05 (resized).jpeg5403A4AC-77A5-4BB7-B3E0-567D3A904B05 (resized).jpeg
#13674 2 years ago

I was forced to buy AAPL at $5/share and $6/share because had Put sales executed. Wasn’t glad at the time had to pay on margin. Had to buy hundreds of shares at $140/share but adjusted for split was $5/share. I probably bought my way out of more shares because I didn’t have enough money to cover all the Puts at that time it was a damn bloodbath.

#13675 2 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Anyone get out the popcorn and watch the action on sofi today?
The volume oh the volume on (partial) lockup expiry.

After further review, it looks like it is trying to go the meme route.

#13676 2 years ago

Anyone in WISH? I initially got in at $22 around the IPO time and bought on the dip at around $9.50 to cost average down. Seems to be climbing steady for the last few weeks after hitting a low of $8ish.

#13677 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Anyone in WISH? I initially got in at $22 around the IPO time and bought on the dip at around $9.50 to cost average down. Seems to be climbing steady for the last few weeks after hitting a low of $8ish.

I've avoided that one. I never looked into what exactly they do. My preconception was that almost everything people buy from wish is junk.
My gut tells me its a sympathy play on AMC/GME. Could be some money there if you can time the exit correctly.

#13678 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

It's up a lot in a short amount of time. While I am aware meme stocks don't tend to drop hard after rallies anymore, I'd prefer getting in at $11 or so. Having said that even at the current price it does seem undervalued, a lot of people complain that they sell junk, but that's always been what they were, a place to buy cheap junk, so it's not a reason to not own it.

Speaking of meme stocks, they say CLOV has the most short squeeze potential. I own a bit, but my history with meme stocks is that I sell for small gains, so even if it squeezes I'll probably be long gone.

Looks like HITI is responding well to earnings, wish I bought it again on that temp dip yesterday. We'll see if it finally breaks the hold short sellers have on it in subsequent days.

#13679 2 years ago
Quoted from stubborngamer:

It's up a lot in a short amount of time. While I am aware meme stocks don't tend to drop hard after rallies anymore, I'd prefer getting in at $11 or so. Having said that even at the current price it does seem undervalued, a lot of people complain that they sell junk, but that's always been what they were, a place to buy cheap junk, so it's not a reason to not own it.
Speaking of meme stocks, they say CLOV has the most short squeeze potential. I own a bit, but my history with meme stocks is that I sell for small gains, so even if it squeezes I'll probably be long gone.
Looks like HITI is responding well to earnings, wish I bought it again on that temp dip yesterday. We'll see if it finally breaks the hold short sellers have on it in subsequent days.

I bought 1000 clov around 9.50 right before the run to almost 30. Sadly I sold covered calls at like 10 on them. Made $1500 or so when I could have made 20k in under a week.

#13680 2 years ago
Quoted from TireFryer426:

I've avoided that one. I never looked into what exactly they do. My preconception was that almost everything people buy from wish is junk.
My gut tells me its a sympathy play on AMC/GME. Could be some money there if you can time the exit correctly.

I never thought of WISH as a MEME stock but I guess they are caught up in that as well. Will see how the next earnings report is and if growth continues.

Quoted from loneacer:

I bought 1000 clov around 9.50 right before the run to almost 30. Sadly I sold covered calls at like 10 on them. Made $1500 or so when I could have made 20k in under a week.

Speaking of covered calls, any stocks people recommend write calls on to make a decent return? I was writing covered calls on Kodak and it was quite profitable. Thanks.

#13681 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

I never thought of WISH as a MEME stock but I guess they are caught up in that as well. Will see how the next earnings report is and if growth continues.

Speaking of covered calls, any stocks people recommend write calls on to make a decent return? I was writing covered calls on Kodak and it was quite profitable. Thanks.

WISH started being a MEME stock a week or two ago.

I'm trying another bite at CLOV covered calls. Bought 1000 yesterday at 12.70 and sold $13 calls for 7/9 at 1.20. Basically 10% premium for 11 days. It's at 14.12 this morning, so it's looking good. Without the calls I could have sold already for $1400 gain. With them I guess I wait it out. I could buy back the calls and sell the stock now for about $500 overall profit I guess.

Also been selling weekly calls on UPST for the last 3 weeks. I like the stock long term and I'm getting around $500/week in premiums per 100 shares.

#13682 2 years ago

I think Wish is one of the top 5 talked about stocks on wsb right now, there is talk that it's popularity there is fabricated because of it's high institutional ownership. Though you could say everything is fabricated really.

Clov made a run today after I mentioned it here, I sold it, queue meteoric 100% rise from here.

I've been paying more attention to stocks like these lately because the danger of them I just don't see anymore. Obviously you have to be careful not buying high still, but they don't collapse like they used to, with multiple runs. I'm just looking for 5-10% though, nothing too crazy.

#13683 2 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Where do you get this from?

From here, it's a good visual of what's currently happening in the market since it's grouped by industry. The've got one for ETFs too. You can also adjust for larger snapshots like a month or 6 months.
https://finviz.com/map.ashx

#13684 2 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

WISH started being a MEME stock a week or two ago.
I'm trying another bite at CLOV covered calls. Bought 1000 yesterday at 12.70 and sold $13 calls for 7/9 at 1.20. Basically 10% premium for 11 days. It's at 14.12 this morning, so it's looking good. Without the calls I could have sold already for $1400 gain. With them I guess I wait it out. I could buy back the calls and sell the stock now for about $500 overall profit I guess.

CLOV seems to have better potential for covered calls. Why not buy back your $13 calls for $1.90 and write the July 16 $14 calls for around the same price? You will make $1.30 on the shares and around $1.90 on the calls. Sometimes I rewrite the calls a few weeks (or months out) to increase the exercise price.

#13685 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

CLOV seems to have better potential for covered calls. Why not buy back your $13 calls for $1.90 and write the July 16 $14 calls for around the same price? You will make $1.30 on the shares and around $1.90 on the calls. Sometimes I rewrite the calls a few weeks (or months out) to increase the exercise price.

That's a possibility. I don't like going too far out with meme stocks. Could get stuck holding the shares while they go back to $10 and I lose more than I make on the calls.

I sold 10 CLOV 7/9 $12 puts yesterday and bought them back today for 40% gains overnight. Probably would have been 100% gains in a week, but sometimes I take a quick win.

Everything I've touched the last couple weeks has been a gain. I'm up about $8k just trading with around $40k of my account. When that happens, it's usually time to start being wary and not overtrade and give it all back.

#13686 2 years ago
Quoted from rai:

it was a damn bloodbath.

Sure was…I lost 3 houses with about 1m in equity….My job…hundreds of thousands holding all the wrong stocks…I was literally down to about 15k in schwab, 10k in cash under the mattress, a 64 Riviera, 87 el Camino, lotr, champ. Pub & No fear

Fun times indeed!

#13687 2 years ago

Sure was…I lost 3 houses with about 1m in equity….My job…hundreds of thousands holding all the wrong stocks…I was literally down to about 15k in schwab, 10k in cash under the mattress, a 64 Riviera, 87 el Camino, lotr, champ. Pub & No fear
Fun times indeed!

Damn....I hope you have since recovered

#13688 2 years ago

Fun times indeed!

Plus it just wouldn’t end, normally we’d have a correction or a bad patch followed by some good news but that was misery piled on top of misery with no end in sight. Eventually some people just threw in the towel or were forced out of the market as well as real estate.

There’s a lot of threads looking back at that time (the Great Recession).

Here is one post from a discussion that sums it up.
————

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=207809

2008 was a lot different than your normal bear market since since it was a mainly a financial crisis and the impact to the stock market was a secondary affect.

There was a very real fear that the financial system would come to a grinding halt and things would basically collapse and things like ATM's and credit cards could stop working if the banks failed.

In comparison the dot com bubble and crash a few years earlier was pretty dramatic but in a lot of ways it was a normal drop and you could be pretty sure that things would eventually be OK even though a lot of people were hurt by it.

—-

The stock market decline was scary in-and-of itself. But people were also suffering through a large drop in equity in their homes, with many having a mortgage that was larger than their home's value. Plus there was a significant increase in unemployment and many who were still working had their pay lowered, bonuses cancelled, and/or insurance premiums rapidly increasing.

#13689 2 years ago

LVS just popped...no news

#13690 2 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Plus it just wouldn’t end, normally we’d have a correction or a bad patch followed by some good news but that was misery piled on top of misery with no end in sight. Eventually some people just threw in the towel or were forced out of the market as well as real estate.
There’s a lot of threads looking back at that time (the Great Recession).
Here is one post from a discussion that sums it up.
————
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=207809
2008 was a lot different than your normal bear market since since it was a mainly a financial crisis and the impact to the stock market was a secondary affect.
There was a very real fear that the financial system would come to a grinding halt and things would basically collapse and things like ATM's and credit cards could stop working if the banks failed.
In comparison the dot com bubble and crash a few years earlier was pretty dramatic but in a lot of ways it was a normal drop and you could be pretty sure that things would eventually be OK even though a lot of people were hurt by it.
—-

The stock market decline was scary in-and-of itself. But people were also suffering through a large drop in equity in their homes, with many having a mortgage that was larger than their home's value. Plus there was a significant increase in unemployment and many who were still working had their pay lowered, bonuses cancelled, and/or insurance premiums rapidly increasing.

You know what is crazy. I was working for a major bank during all of that, but had zero idea any of it was going on. I rarely watched any television/news. I was peachy keen and on the way up. I didn't know about any of it until I started actively investing back in 2015ish and was doing research. Of course, 2004-2006 was my shit years when I was WAY worse off than Randomguy So in 2008-2010 those were some of my best years. I would say I'm less happy now simply because I am more aware of what a fucked up world we are in. Crazy how perspective works.

#13691 2 years ago

For you speculative people, FSLY hired a new CFO with a history of dealmaking experience. Speculation is that he could be coming in to help sell the company, which was my thought. I am still underwater on some shares but may use this to average down and see what happens.

https://seekingalpha.com/news/3711408-fastly-gains-on-takeover-speculation-following-hiring-of-new-cfo

#13692 2 years ago

Finally pulled the trigger on AMD and TSM yesterday.

Long term plays for me where I will add more during the dips.

#13693 2 years ago

UPST crushing it today. I mentioned that one a few times in the last couple weeks.

#13694 2 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Finally pulled the trigger on AMD and TSM yesterday.
Long term plays for me where I will add more during the dips.

Was thinking of adding INTC to that portfolio of stocks.

Any thoughts or recommendations on that? Or should I just keep adding AMD/TSM shares instead and avoid INTC?

#13695 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I would say I'm less happy now simply because I am more aware of what a fucked up world we are in.

If you could put my soul into words, it would be this

#13696 2 years ago

Global warming psychosis is a thing.

No, not "global warming is a hoax and those who believe otherwise are mentally ill". But rather, an actual real form of anxiety stemming from the constant realization of how tenuous our existence is tied to the climate. Like feeling anxiety when viewing the steadily-increasing level of global CO2 PPM, record-setting temps, rain, bizarre storms, etc.

BTW have y'all called your power company to switch to green power? Every time I suggest this even to my closest pals on FB, all I get are excuses, crickets, or explanations why doing nothing is better or other people/governments/etc. should do something instead.

100% green since 2004 here... kinda sick of hearing it. We have to start somewhere, right?

#13698 2 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

Global warming psychosis is a thing.
No, not "global warming is a hoax and those who believe otherwise are mentally ill". But rather, a form of anxiety stemming from the constant realization of how tenuous our existence is tied to the climate. Feeling anxiety when viewing the steadily-increasing level of global CO2 PPM, record-setting temps, rain, bizarre storms, etc.
BTW have y'all called your power company to switch to green power? Every time I suggest this even to my closest pals on FB, all I get are excuses, crickets, or explanations why doing nothing is better or other people/governments/etc. should do something instead.
100% green since 2004 here... kinda sick of hearing it. We have to start somewhere, right?

2slo9z (resized).png2slo9z (resized).png
#13699 2 years ago

Pardon. A bit off-topic. Was calculating potential investments in oil ETF's as well as GRN and other sustainability-focused funds and developed spontaneous typing tourette's.

Anyway, please call your power company and switch to a green plan if you could/would. At least a nice green sheen on the capitalistic thrust of this thread whether you make money or not. :p

#13700 2 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

Pardon. A bit off-topic. Was calculating potential investments in oil ETF's as well as GRN and other sustainability-focused funds and developed spontaneous typing tourette's.
Anyway, please call your power company and switch to a green plan if you could/would. At least a nice green sheen on the capitalistic thrust of this thread whether you make money or not. :p

Can't tell if you're trolling...*sees profile pic with a mask*... oh, you're not. People will make fun of me for driving a Tesla by saying "you think you're being green but they burn fossil fuels to make that electricity." I remind them that I bought the car because it's a luxury sedan that accelerates and handles like a race car and that most electricity in my state comes from hydroelectric and wind. Also, I ask them if they'd like to stand in a garage for an hour with my car running or theirs running and then ask why they wouldn't want to do the same for the rest of the air. Nuclear energy is the future, IMO.

As for your negative insinuation about capitalism, everyone likes to enjoy the great benefits that capitalism and some get upset that others "do capitalism" to greater effect than they do. That makes me roll my eyes because envy makes me roll my eyes. Let's get rich!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.95
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 20,989 posts in this topic. You are on page 274 of 420.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stock-market-traders/page/274?hl=tramd and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.