Image 4-6-24 at 11.42?AM (resized).jpeg
IMG_7948 (resized).jpeg
kuiil-have-spoken.gif
200w.gif
gold24 (resized).jpg
counting_coins_02.gif
IMG_1659 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 21,015 posts in this topic. You are on page 266 of 421.
#13251 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I’m trying to understand all that and who the f ing winners are going to be.
What about Unity in the 3D rendering arena?
Who has the dominant AI engines?
My client says they run AI algos on Snow data in 30 minutes versus what would take 30 days before
And he says Data Robot, which is not public yet, is another monster that helps them with the “run time” on Microsoft Azure” and AWS
In other words it might cost $40 to run something because the servers shut down after it’s calculated versus $400 if it keeps on running!

It is late tonight but I will draw you a few diagrams and post it tomorrow..

#13252 2 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

Roblox is almost worth as much as Nintendo. Ridiculous. And they're not even profitable.

You must not have kids under 10 nor Nieces or nephews. You would understand this clearly otherwise, just saying. With that said, I had no idea Roblox was public. I’m buying a boatload tomorrow. Thanks for the tip

#13253 2 years ago
Quoted from thechakapakuni:

You must not have kids under 10 nor Nieces or nephews. You would understand this clearly otherwise, just saying. With that said, I had no idea Roblox was public. I’m buying a boatload tomorrow. Thanks for the tip

Roblox is currently valued at with a 50 Billion market cap on like a Billion in sales and lose money. I have an 11 year old who plays it constantly, but he also plays the switch and xbox. I'm not saying that they can't become a good investment at some point, but basically it would have to make 2 billion in profit, not just sales, for it to make any sense to me. I think the stock should be closer to $50 than $100.

Roblox is worth currently almost as much as EA and Take Two (GTA and Red Dead series) combined. They cater to a very select audience, which currently is under 13 and has no money, lol.

#13254 2 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

Roblox is currently valued at with a 50 Billion market cap on like a Billion in sales and lose money. I have an 11 year old who plays it constantly, but he also plays the switch and xbox. I'm not saying that they can't become a good investment at some point, but basically it would have to make 2 billion in profit, not just sales, for it to make any sense to me. I think the stock should be closer to $50 than $100.
Roblox is worth currently almost as much as EA and Take Two (GTA and Red Dead series) combined. They cater to a very select audience, which currently is under 13 and has no money, lol.

Their parents have money aka my brother. And he will pay what ever is necessary to keep his kids busy playing Roblox. I wouldn’t bet against it

#13255 2 years ago

if the last 5 years have taught us anything it's that a company doesn't have to make money for their stock to rocket...like..ever...

#13256 2 years ago

Ok, I can't sleep so will post the first part of the primer on Big Data and Analytics. In it's simplest form, you need 3 components to do anything analytical as represented by the diagram below: You need data in one to many databases (1), you need analytical tools that will access the data and do things with it (2), and you need a place to run all of this (3).

Databases: Take many forms. Prevalent databases are things like Oracle and DB2, which are great for storing backend data and doing queries. With the rise of analytics, you had the development of data stores that are tailored for these workloads. These started with Data Appliances like Netezza and Teradata, and now have systems like Snowflake, Greenplum, and others. This does not take into account Mainframe databases, which are incredibly prevalent. You also have specialized databases like GRAPH, NOSQL, and others for other types of data and functions.

Analytics: Runs a wide gamut of areas, but is generally broken down into descriptive analytics and predictive analytics. Descriptive analytics is typicaly where you are running STAT type functions, finding answers, and the like. Despite all of the buzz, most analytics are descriptive in nature! Tools here include things like SAS, SPSS (IBM) and the like. You also have your Business Intelligence tools here, which handle visualization, reporting, and light analytics. These include things like Tableau (SalesForce), Business Object (Oracle), Cognos (IBM), QLIK, etc. Predictive Analytics tools cover a wide range, but what differentiates them from descriptive is that they take inputs, run models many times, and try to predict outcomes. I will go into more detail later, but this covers tools like Palantir, C3.AI, Databricks, Data Robot, Watson, UIPath, and a whole lot more. You also have a lot of open source tools that people use here, including Python, Tensorflow, etc. Most analytics firms use combinations of these approaches based upon what is trying to be done. As you build, train, and run models, you are moving data back and forth to the Database(s).

Place to run all of this: This use to be on premise in racks or special built, refrigerator-sized appliances. With the cloud, some of this moved to the cloud (AWS, Azure, Google, etc). Based upon the work that you are doing or security requirements, moving large volumes of data to the cloud can be very expensive or prohibited. Legitmately, if you have large volumes of data it is more cost effective to send the drives to the cloud provider or get them to send an 18 wheeler to transport your data. That is where you are seeing a lot of hybrid approaches, where some data is in the cloud and some is on premise. The cloud providers also have proprietary tools, which is good if you are using all AWS for example, but is bad if you are trying to use multiple clouds and/or don't want vendor lock in. The two big cost components of running things in the cloud is the cost for running an application (say, Snowflake) plus the cost of the compute environment to run everything. @iceman44, this is what your customer is talking about in trying to reduce the compute costs, because both of the components can add up fast.

Cloud is not always cheaper! In fact, it is often more expensive for analytics workloads compared to running them on bare metal. However, you can have reduced overhead, skirt organizations politics (typically, infrastructure teams are separate from the business teams, etc). Going to the cloud has a lot of facets.

Ok, this is enough for part 1 for tonight, and will set the groundwork for getting into more detail in the areas in the AM. But to give you food for thought: It is one thing to get an answer, it is completely another to operationalize an answer. This is a big stumbling area for AI/ML as we stand. We will get more into this later.

62999FC9-27CC-438E-B4CB-834811EC1A9D (resized).jpeg62999FC9-27CC-438E-B4CB-834811EC1A9D (resized).jpeg

#13257 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

if the last 5 years have taught us anything it's that a company doesn't have to make money for their stock to rocket...like..ever...

At some point it will matter. I don't know when, but it will. Probably when interest rates creep up and their debt loads start pulling some of these companies under. 20% of all companies in the US right now are zombie companies, meaning they don't earn enough to service their debt and are basically surviving on cheap financing for now.

#13258 2 years ago

Remember, Microsoft bought Minecraft for 2.5BIL

#13259 2 years ago

. I’m buying a boatload tomorrow

How many shares is a boatload? I want to know so I can revisit this post in five years time.

Negative profit margins
P/S is in mid 40s
Price/book is 100
Price/sales is 47
ROE is -55
ROA is -11

It looks like your boatload will be in a super risky stock. Also Minecraft wasn't a public company.

#13260 2 years ago

I got out of Roblox when it broke 100. I think it is a great company that is currently overvalued. I made some money short term though so hooray for me.

#13261 2 years ago

Not selling anybody, again just discovered this yesterday. You do what you want. Name me 3 current kid (under 15) video game phenomenons besides Roblox? I can name 1 other

https://investorplace.com/2021/06/roblox-rblx-stock-has-a-legitimate-shot-at-doubling-by-2022/

#13262 2 years ago

Ewww investorplace.

Not selling anybody, again just discovered this yesterday. You do what you want. Name me 3 current kid (under 15) video game phenomenons besides Roblox? I can name 1 other
https://investorplace.com/2021/06/roblox-rblx-stock-has-a-legitimate-shot-at-doubling-by-2022/

#13263 2 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Who knows what will happen with PSTH. Universal Music is a big deal but nothing like Stripe or the like. I would have to think that people are looking at this as a let down. The SPAC was for 20/share, so let’s see what happens.

I feel like I have to ride this horse to the end now that it is in the $22 range. I don't see a lot of upside to selling at this point with the loss I have taken so far on this one. It's only 4% of my total holdings so I might have to see where it goes.

#13264 2 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

I like the target, I hate how much it looks like he paid for it.
Might be way off base but, it feels like it’s a value play at a growth price. In 2021, “growth price” has not been something you want to pin to yourself.
I’m sure Bill will be fine though.

The story gets worse in my opinion. This is for buying a 10% of Universal Music Group with some of the funds, and that PSTH would look to tie up with another company with the rest. UMG is still looking to IPO later this year. Don't like this as all. Hard Pass!

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/03/bill-ackmans-pershing-square-nears-biggest-ever-spac-deal-with-universal-music-source-says.html

#13265 2 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

The story gets worse in my opinion. This is for buying a 10% of Universal Music Group with some of the funds, and that PSTH would look to tie up with another company with the rest. UMG is still looking to IPO later this year. Don't like this as all. Hard Pass!
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/03/bill-ackmans-pershing-square-nears-biggest-ever-spac-deal-with-universal-music-source-says.html

Paging kpg …let’s hear it!

#13266 2 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

I know right? They are using approx $15 of the $20 spac money to buy shares of UMG. UMG is listed in EU as well, so that's fun. Warrants don't transfer and instead stick with psth as they try and find another target for the remaining $5 of $20. They then pull a warrant exchange because of splitting up the spac. What the hell?

oh, and the UMG thing isn't subject to a shareholder vote because of how they went about it, so suck it bagholders.

and finally, the remaining PSTH company will no longer be a spac, since the UMG part satisfies that. Instead it is a SPAR. Avoids all that annoying (to Bill) new spac regulations. (ex: there is now no time horizon for the SPAR. they can hold the funds indefinitely)

Kinda seems like he did this to pull one over on both retail AND the SEC.

Not what I am looking for in my life.

#13267 2 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

I know right? They are using approx $15 of the $20 spac money to buy shares of UMG. UMG is listed in EU as well, so that's fun. Warrants don't transfer and instead stick with psth as they try and find another target for the remaining $5 of $20. They then pull a warrant exchange because of splitting up the spac. What the hell?
oh, and the UMG thing isn't subject to a shareholder vote because of how they went about it, so suck it bagholders.

This sums up my opinion on this shit smorgasbord

never-half-ass-two-things (resized).pngnever-half-ass-two-things (resized).png
#13268 2 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Ewww investorplace.

Roblox Deez Nutz. It’s already up like dis limp D smackn yo face. Ewwwwweeeee!

#13269 2 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

and finally, the remaining PSTH company will no longer be a spac, since the UMG part satisfies that. Instead it is a SPAR. Avoids all that annoying (to Bill) new spac regulations. (ex: there is now no time horizon for the SPAR. they can hold the funds indefinitely)

UMG is a major music company but because it’s owned by the French Vivendi nobody gives a rats ass

#13270 2 years ago

UMG is a major music company but because it’s owned by the French Vivendi nobody gives a rats ass

Oh I think it is a great company. But by golly Ackman has made this all so convoluted.

Don’t like that it conveniently skirts both investor and regulator input. Deeply Don’t like that to truly unlock value you have to trust ackman for unlimited years and pony up more cash in addition to the warrants.

#13271 2 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Psth will still be a spac with the remaining funds. The SPAR is a seperate 10b transaction you get buy in opportunity at 20 nav for each share of psth owned

#13272 2 years ago

Anyone know why OIH is halted today?

#13273 2 years ago

#13275 2 years ago
Quoted from PunkPin:

Psth will still be a spac with the remaining funds. The SPAR is a seperate 10b transaction you get buy in opportunity at 20 nav for each share of psth owned

Actually reading further it won't be considered a spac anymore but SPAR is still a separate deal

#13276 2 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Ok, I can't sleep so will post the first part of the primer on Big Data and Analytics. In it's simplest form, you need 3 components to do anything analytical as represented by the diagram below: You need data in one to many databases (1), you need analytical tools that will access the data and do things with it (2), and you need a place to run all of this (3).
Databases: Take many forms. Prevalent databases are things like Oracle and DB2, which are great for storing backend data and doing queries. With the rise of analytics, you had the development of data stores that are tailored for these workloads. These started with Data Appliances like Netezza and Teradata, and now have systems like Snowflake, Greenplum, and others. This does not take into account Mainframe databases, which are incredibly prevalent. You also have specialized databases like GRAPH, NOSQL, and others for other types of data and functions.
Analytics: Runs a wide gamut of areas, but is generally broken down into descriptive analytics and predictive analytics. Descriptive analytics is typicaly where you are running STAT type functions, finding answers, and the like. Despite all of the buzz, most analytics are descriptive in nature! Tools here include things like SAS, SPSS (IBM) and the like. You also have your Business Intelligence tools here, which handle visualization, reporting, and light analytics. These include things like Tableau (SalesForce), Business Object (Oracle), Cognos (IBM), QLIK, etc. Predictive Analytics tools cover a wide range, but what differentiates them from descriptive is that they take inputs, run models many times, and try to predict outcomes. I will go into more detail later, but this covers tools like Palantir, C3.AI, Databricks, Data Robot, Watson, UIPath, and a whole lot more. You also have a lot of open source tools that people use here, including Python, Tensorflow, etc. Most analytics firms use combinations of these approaches based upon what is trying to be done. As you build, train, and run models, you are moving data back and forth to the Database(s).
Place to run all of this: This use to be on premise in racks or special built, refrigerator-sized appliances. With the cloud, some of this moved to the cloud (AWS, Azure, Google, etc). Based upon the work that you are doing or security requirements, moving large volumes of data to the cloud can be very expensive or prohibited. Legitmately, if you have large volumes of data it is more cost effective to send the drives to the cloud provider or get them to send an 18 wheeler to transport your data. That is where you are seeing a lot of hybrid approaches, where some data is in the cloud and some is on premise. The cloud providers also have proprietary tools, which is good if you are using all AWS for example, but is bad if you are trying to use multiple clouds and/or don't want vendor lock in. The two big cost components of running things in the cloud is the cost for running an application (say, Snowflake) plus the cost of the compute environment to run everything. iceman44, this is what your customer is talking about in trying to reduce the compute costs, because both of the components can add up fast.
Cloud is not always cheaper! In fact, it is often more expensive for analytics workloads compared to running them on bare metal. However, you can have reduced overhead, skirt organizations politics (typically, infrastructure teams are separate from the business teams, etc). Going to the cloud has a lot of facets.
Ok, this is enough for part 1 for tonight, and will set the groundwork for getting into more detail in the areas in the AM. But to give you food for thought: It is one thing to get an answer, it is completely another to operationalize an answer. This is a big stumbling area for AI/ML as we stand. We will get more into this later.
[quoted image]

Sweet Jesus man. that's one helluva write up.....thanks! So which one of these guys do we buy?

#13277 2 years ago
Quoted from PunkPin:

Actually reading further it won't be considered a spac anymore but SPAR is still a separate deal

Agreed. It’s confusing. Easy to mix up the steps in the tango.

The way it is crashing out getting close to NAV…now I am getting tempted to buy even though I don’t like ackman and hate what he did here.

5% downside
Upside? Maaaybe 25% but that’s a 9-18 month commit

On second thought, greener pastures elsewhere.

Someone correct me if I am way off.

#13278 2 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Sweet Jesus man. that's one helluva write up.....thanks! So which one of these guys do we buy?

Thanks. That is just to set the foundation of what this space means. The area that AI/ML struggles with is that it is incredibly hard and expensive, it is hard to operationalize the data back into your business processes, and that most corporate data pools are pretty poor. Because of this, I have moved into a slightly different arena as as seller because this is where the market is moving to. My cartoon below shows some of the problems with AI/ML from a process flow. Just follow the numbers. This is grossly simplified as you have to get into topics such as data governance, DevSecOps, modernization, security, etc, etc, but this is the right level for a pinball forum.

To answer your question directly, in this general space, I like MSFT, Salesforce, PLTR, SNOW. This is not financial advice and is instead based upon where their tech is. Microstrategy was interesting, but their whole Bitcoin tie up muddies the waters for me. UIPATH is in the Robot Process Automation space, which has nothing to do with robots, but is related. Databricks is one to watch when it comes out. Data Robot is interesting, but I like other technologies better.

Once again, this is not investing advice and is not an endorsement of any company or approach.

0935A14E-3344-45D5-9849-ED9DECECABEB (resized).jpeg0935A14E-3344-45D5-9849-ED9DECECABEB (resized).jpeg
#13279 2 years ago

Just bought a little Visa (V). Looks like a pretty safe bet with a strong history of growth. Not going to get rich overnight, but looks like a steady double your money every 5 years play.

#13280 2 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Just bought a little Visa (V). Looks like a pretty safe bet with a strong history of growth. Not going to get rich overnight, but looks like a steady double your money every 5 years play.

Is that a typo and you actually bought more CCIV?

#13281 2 years ago

Pay a little bit of a dividend too!

#13282 2 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Is that a typo and you actually bought more CCIV?

No no no... I actually sold a little CCIV to get it. Now that I am even/up on CCIV I am going to be slowly diversifying out of some of it.

#13283 2 years ago

No no no... I actually sold a little CCIV to get it. Now that I am even/up on CCIV I am going to be slowly diversifying out of some of it.

Now you are talking!

#13284 2 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Place to run all of this: This use to be on premise in racks or special built, refrigerator-sized appliances. With the cloud, some of this moved to the cloud (AWS, Azure, Google, etc). Based upon the work that you are doing or security requirements, moving large volumes of data to the cloud can be very expensive or prohibited. Legitmately, if you have large volumes of data it is more cost effective to send the drives to the cloud provider or get them to send an 18 wheeler to transport your data. That is where you are seeing a lot of hybrid approaches, where some data is in the cloud and some is on premise. The cloud providers also have proprietary tools, which is good if you are using all AWS for example, but is bad if you are trying to use multiple clouds and/or don't want vendor lock in. The two big cost components of running things in the cloud is the cost for running an application (say, Snowflake) plus the cost of the compute environment to run everything. iceman44, this is what your customer is talking about in trying to reduce the compute costs, because both of the components can add up fast.
[quoted image]

Fantastic summary Matt! Very helpful

#13285 2 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Thanks. That is just to set the foundation of what this space means. The area that AI/ML struggles with is that it is incredibly hard and expensive, it is hard to operationalize the data back into your business processes, and that most corporate data pools are pretty poor. Because of this, I have moved into a slightly different arena as as seller because this is where the market is moving to. My cartoon below shows some of the problems with AI/ML from a process flow. Just follow the numbers. This is grossly simplified as you have to get into topics such as data governance, DevSecOps, modernization, security, etc, etc, but this is the right level for a pinball forum.
To answer your question directly, in this general space, I like MSFT, Salesforce, PLTR, SNOW. This is not financial advice and is instead based upon where their tech is. Microstrategy was interesting, but their whole Bitcoin tie up muddies the waters for me. UIPATH is in the Robot Process Automation space, which has nothing to do with robots, but is related. Databricks is one to watch when it comes out. Data Robot is interesting, but I like other technologies better.
Once again, this is not investing advice and is not an endorsement of any company or approach.[quoted image]

My buddy loves Data Robot. I’ll have to ask about Databricks too

I got schooled by one of my younger clients today who works at Crowdstrike.

Learning a lot about these important sectors!

Current valuations? That’s another issue.

#13286 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Fantastic summary Matt! Very helpful

Quoted from iceman44:

My buddy loves Data Robot. I’ll have to ask about Databricks too
I got schooled by one of my younger clients today who works at Crowdstrike.
Learning a lot about these important sectors!
Current valuations? That’s another issue.

Glad this was helpful, Doug! This is a very complex and rapidly changing space but when you distill it down to the basics and get out of the buzzwords it makes sense. What excites me are the areas that are evolving that help fill in the gaps with operationalizing AI/ML and data in general. There are some tremendous things that are happening in this space and where I think the money is going to be made. That is why I like things like PATH and the space that I am in.

Enough pretending to be smart. Time to go drink some Manhattans.

#13287 2 years ago

Is this the Nintendo stock?
What exchange is that?

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/NTDOY?p=NTDOY

Edit: ok Found my answer. Tokyo stock Exchange https://marketrealist.com/p/is-nintendo-publicly-traded/

Ill have to see if that works with my broker.

#13288 2 years ago

Psth

Now ackman is strongly implying that if you take this leap of faith with him now, you will have continued access to his “sparc(s)” going forward.

Every sparc you invest in will give you warrants to re-up for the next sparc. Or something like that.

Bullish case is infinite ipo price deals.
Bearish case is infinite money pit.

Have to keep paying the ante to see the next offer.

SEC, what say you?

#13289 2 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Psth
Now ackman is strongly implying that if you take this leap of faith with him now, you will have continued access to his “sparc(s)” going forward.
Every sparc you invest in will give you warrants to re-up for the next sparc. Or something like that.
Bullish case is infinite ipo price deals.
Bearish case is infinite money pit.
Have to keep paying the ante to see the next offer.
SEC, what say you?

Hmmm... trust Ackman? I vote no

#13290 2 years ago

I am riding PSTH to the end. But I have a small amount invested and this is all a learning experience for me at this point.

My baby is DKNG.

#13291 2 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

Hmmm... trust Ackman? I vote no

Quoted from jorge5240:

I am riding PSTH to the end. But I have a small amount invested and this is all a learning experience for me at this point.
My baby is DKNG.

#13292 2 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

I wonder if AMC might be worth investing in.

This aged well.

#13293 2 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

This aged well.

I assume you ended up no longer wondering, and invested?

#13294 2 years ago

We will see where DKNG ends up. I will mark this post but I am confident it will be ok

#13295 2 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

This aged well.

I wonder if it's worth shorting AMC now

#13296 2 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

I assume you ended up no longer wondering, and invested?

I did!

#13297 2 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

I wonder if it's worth shorting AMC now

I’d be more likely to do a covered short strangle.

#13298 2 years ago

Tom Lee's BULLISH case for 4,400 on S&P by end of June. Energy is leading the way. Don't fight the facts.

Screen Shot 2021-06-07 at 9.55.50 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-06-07 at 9.55.50 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-06-07 at 9.55.59 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-06-07 at 9.55.59 AM (resized).png
#13299 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Tom Lee's BULLISH case for 4,400 on S&P by end of June. Energy is leading the way. Don't fight the facts.[quoted image][quoted image]

Lol..When has Tom Lee been bearish?

#13300 2 years ago

The trend continues. As CCIV continues to spike (up another 10% today), I am selling off bits to diversify. Just bought some UEC.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 12.95
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 18.95
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

There are 21,015 posts in this topic. You are on page 266 of 421.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stock-market-traders/page/266 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.