3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4,656 posts
  • 298 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by pinnyheadhead
  • Topic is favorited by 142 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 304 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

6AD0AD21-1EF3-4676-8A4D-F89119D35852 (resized).png
    keupvzpoaxd51 (resized).png
    rates2 (resized).png
    SharedScreenshot (resized).jpg
    Rates (resized).png
    pasted_image“The stock market is a wonderfully efficient mechanism for transferring wealth from the impatient to the patient.”  Warren Buffett (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    presidents and markets (resized).png
    original_220478745 (resized).jpg
    B58B8C63-632B-4C84-8D9E-3DCBAFA6A9EC (resized).jpeg
    rev (resized).JPG
    fv (resized).JPG
    Div (resized).JPG
    ceo (resized).JPG
    FE874870-5969-4A98-A8AF-11358BAA8925 (resized).jpeg
    838C2329-222F-4241-9CB9-EF384B90A0CD (resized).jpeg

There are 4656 posts in this topic. You are on page 26 of 94.
    #1251 11 months ago
    Quoted from LITZ:

Just in case ppl are wondering what sector is leading the pack YTD. The top 4 are made of metal![quoted image]

Sector my ass you have no utility no consumer staples XlU ytd %22.49 XLP ytd %21.37 not to mention industrials, financials, healthcare the S&P the DAX the dollar these are not sectors

#1252 11 months ago
    Quoted from LITZ:

Just in case ppl are wondering what sector is leading the pack YTD. The top 4 are made of metal![quoted image]

If you take a look you will have done far better with an S&P etf like the SPY or a Nasdaq etf like the QQQ than you would have with a materials etf look at the bottom three all materials. The second issue is except for the GLD commodities etf use futures and rebalances every day so as the value goes up you make less on your investment never invest in leverage etf's the x2 and x3 or any etf that uses futures

#1253 11 months ago
    Quoted from JY64:

Sector my ass you have no utility no consumer staples XlU ytd %22.49 XLP ytd %21.37 not to mention industrials, financials, healthcare the S&P the DAX the dollar these are not sectors

Okay sorry I should have said, "Which Futures sector is leading the pack?"

But, yeah... SPY and QQQs are fun n all. But I love Momo trading! Look at my P/L from the previous week. Now we are up over SPX 2950 and both stock mkt and metals will run higher together. Notice how $DXY was a text book pump n dump!

I present Roku for your viewing pleasure: but first a little background. Bought SEP 144s last Thursday, then SEP 150s on Friday and finally OCT 165s on Monday. Cashed out with total profit of $4380. On these larger positions I was risking 200.00 per trade vs my normal 100.00 4380/600 =7.30x or a 730% reward : risk ratio.

IMG_2428 (resized).PNGafter (resized).pngbefore (resized).pngsold (resized).png
    #1254 11 months ago
    Quoted from LITZ:

Okay sorry I should have said, "Which Futures sector is leading the pack?"
    But, yeah... SPY and QQQs are fun n all. But I love Momo trading! Look at my P/L from the previous week. Now we are up over SPX 2950 and both stock mkt and metals will run higher together. Notice how $DXY was a text book pump n dump!
    I present Roku for your viewing pleasure: but first a little background. Bought SEP 144s last Thursday, then SEP 150s on Friday and finally OCT 165s on Monday. Cashed out with total profit of $4380. On these larger positions I was risking 200.00 per trade vs my normal 100.00 4380/600 =7.30x or a 730% reward : risk ratio.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I bought some deep in the money roku calls right after earnings it is already up %40

#1255 10 months ago

Just covered 8 Boeing September 20th 360 puts @ $1.17.

Initially sold them 4/18/19 for $16.79.

I know they expire in 9 days, but the stock was up big today. For $1.17, I didn't feel it was worth it to hold on to the risk.

#1256 10 months ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Just covered 8 Boeing September 20th 360 puts @ $1.17.
    Initially sold them 4/18/19 for $16.79.
    I know they expire in 9 days, but the stock was up big today. For $1.17, I didn't feel it was worth it to hold on to the risk.

Hey what’s your opinion if you ever sold a covered call.

sold AAPL $210 strike price January 2020 but then the stock pushes past that.

Would you just let it ride and sell below market value or push it forward to March $220 ?

Currently I sell some puts below the value or at the value $190, $200 that expire sooner but might come that will be over $220 in January.

Thanks

#1257 10 months ago
    Quoted from rai:

Would you just let it ride and sell below market value or push it forward to March $220 ?
    Currently I sell some puts below the value or at the value $190, $200 that expire sooner but might come that will be over $220 in January.
    Thanks

Call is currently trading at $21.47, with the stock at $222.74.

You're not in danger of it being called away.

As to the question if you should currently roll it. Where do you think the stock goes from here? If you think it only will go up, then you may want to push it forward. If you think the stock flatlines, then just wait it out. As it gets closer to expiration, it will get down to $12 (if the stock stays at $222).

How much did you sell it for? If the stock gets called away, what is the gain? What would the tax situation look like?

Me personally, I don't like any of the calls out there for Apple. Just not enough premium for the risk of it being called away. That's why I primarily stuck to Netflix calls, because of how juicy the premiums usually are.

Now granted, if I think the market went up way too much, way too fast, then I will sell calls across the board, like I did 60 days ago.

#1258 10 months ago
    Quoted from JY64:

I bought some deep in the money roku calls right after earnings it is already up %40

Closed did not get full %40 but did get near %30 in short time

#1259 10 months ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Call is currently trading at $21.47, with the stock at $222.74.
    You're not in danger of it being called away.

Don’t think we are talking about the same thing.

I *sold* calls on AAPL stock that I own and the Calls are currently at a much higher price than when I sold them. AAPL was $190/share I sold covered calls for $210 thinking that the stock would not take off so vigorously. My AAPL stocks can get called away I’d be obligated to sell if the AAPL stock if it keeps rising I’d be selling at a discount to the market price.

I have no idea if AAPL will go up down or sideways. Don’t think anyone knows for sure because the trade war can get better or worse who knows?

#1260 10 months ago

I just day trade Cronos

#1261 10 months ago
    Quoted from rai:

Don’t think we are talking about the same thing.
    I *sold* calls on AAPL stock that I own and the Calls are currently at a much higher price than when I sold them. AAPL was $190/share I sold covered calls for $210 thinking that the stock would not take off so vigorously. My AAPL stocks can get called away I’d be obligated to sell if the AAPL stock if it keeps rising I’d be selling at a discount to the market price.
    I have no idea if AAPL will go up down or sideways. Don’t think anyone knows for sure because the trade war can get better or worse who knows?

I know you sold the calls. The real value of the call is $12. It’s trading at a $9 premium.

If the stock stays flat, the call will work its way down to $12. That’s when you roll it or cover it.

If you think the stock will only go up, then covering it now can save you a lot.

Me personally, I’d just wait. The market runs up, then the sky is falling, runs up, then the sky is falling.

#1262 10 months ago

Sold 5 Netflix November 290 puts @ $15.77

#1263 10 months ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I know you sold the calls. The real value of the call is $12. It’s trading at a $9 premium.
    If the stock stays flat, the call will work its way down to $12. That’s when you roll it or cover it.
    If you think the stock will only go up, then covering it now can save you a lot.
    Me personally, I’d just wait. The market runs up, then the sky is falling, runs up, then the sky is falling.

Thanks

Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Thank for posting I’m gonna look at Netflix. I’ have been all over amazon last 2 years.

#1264 10 months ago

Apple 210 January calls down to $19.

2 weeks later
    #1265 10 months ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

ouch

#1266 10 months ago

It’s not even October yet. The chance of me getting put the stock is 0% right now.

#1267 10 months ago

2022 option are now available I bought $50 strike price call DNKN Jan 2022 for $30 with a premium of $1.60 for a call over 2 yr out

#1268 10 months ago
    Quoted from JY64:

2022 option are now available I bought $50 strike price call DNKN Jan 2022 for $30 with a premium of $1.60 for a call over 2 yr out

What were your thoughts in doing this transaction?

I never go that far out...just looking for your perspective. Thanks!

#1269 10 months ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

What were your thoughts in doing this transaction?
    I never go that far out...just looking for your perspective. Thanks!

By going deep in the money there is little premium by going far out I can hold for a year or more with little premium deterioration I have some SPY 2021 calls that I hope to hold till next Feb so that I pay long term cap gains to save a lot on the tax

#1270 10 months ago

I remember when stock trading cost $19.99 then $14.99 now E-Trade is joining the free trade club. I’ve often thought of moving to a cheaper platform but I put my new money is in Vanguard where I get free ETFs and my options are at E-Trade and never got around to switching to a lower cost broker.

#1271 10 months ago
    Quoted from rai:

I remember when stock trading cost $19.99 then $14.99 now E-Trade is joining the free trade club. I’ve often thought of moving to a cheaper platform but I put my new money is in Vanguard where I get free ETFs and my options are at E-Trade and never got around to switching to a lower cost broker.

I read yesterday that TDAmeritrade is also doing free trades now.

https://www.tdameritrade.com/pricing.page

2 weeks later
    #1272 9 months ago

any thoughts on GUSH the oil and gas index trading at $2.70 with oil and gas prices low this might be due for a rebound . The 5 year chart looks like a down hill ski run . yield of 1.77%

#1273 9 months ago

Trades I made last week:

Covered 10 Amazon puts 10/18/19 $1,750 strike price for $10.39. Originally sold on July 29 for $27.05

Sold 10 Amazon puts 1/17/20 $1,700 strike price for $59.53

Bought 5,000 shares of AMCR at $9.62

* I covered the amazon puts 2 days before expiration, because I didn't want to risk getting put the stock if it sold off in the next 48 hours. I was able to get much more premium at a lower strike price. Hard to pass that up.

#1274 9 months ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Trades I made last week

How do I learn to do what you are doing? Book, YouTube, podcast suggestions? I have a small satchel of money to be gambled and I want to paper trade in the meantime as I build up my funds.

#1275 9 months ago
    Quoted from Tomahawkjim:

How do I learn to do what you are doing? Book, YouTube, podcast suggestions? I have a small satchel of money to be gambled and I want to paper trade in the meantime as I build up my funds.

My degrees are in finance and accounting.

I worked as an accountant for a few years and as a financial advisor for a few years too. Now I work in a family business.

Way I learned is doing it for 20 years. Formulate a plan and stick to it. Never be a sore winner. Never get married to an investment. Ignore all the "expert" advice. Sometimes taking a loss is the best thing to do.

I think if you go back through my posts, you'll see a pretty good track record.

#1276 9 months ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Bought 5,000 shares of AMCR at $9.62

Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Formulate a plan and stick to it.

Quick question.

When you pick a stock (as opposed to options trading) do you have a formula for when you sell? E.g Automatic sell at +25% of the price of the stock or -15%?

So you'd make your trade and say if AMCR drops to $8.30 or increases to $12.20 you'll sell.

If so, does that formula get adjusted based on the size of the investment? I won't have $48,000 to make such a trade, but let's say someone started out and bought $1000, would the +/- trigger point change?

Thanks for your help. I think my problem is that I get greedy when something goes up and I need to set hard limits and abide by them. It seems like that's how you do things so I thought I'd ask.

#1277 9 months ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Quick question.
    When you pick a stock (as opposed to options trading) do you have a formula for when you sell? E.g Automatic sell at +25% of the price of the stock or -15%?
    So you'd make your trade and say if AMCR drops to $8.30 or increases to $12.20 you'll sell.
    If so, does that formula get adjusted based on the size of the investment? I won't have $48,000 to make such a trade, but let's say someone started out and bought $1000, would the +/- trigger point change?
    Thanks for your help. I think my problem is that I get greedy when something goes up and I need to set hard limits and abide by them. It seems like that's how you do things so I thought I'd ask.

All depends. Not every trade is the same.

The JC Penney I own is pure speculative. I'll wait that one out.

But look at my Disney trades. If I make 20% on it relatively quick, I'll cash it in.

If AMCR is $18 in 2 weeks, I'll cash it out.

I have 16,000 shares of TEVA at $9.97. I'm waiting out the opiod crisis.

Whenever I add to my Apple position, it's to hold forever.

Remember, bulls and bears make money, pigs get slaughtered. I don't look to make a home run every time. My goal is string together a bunch of solid singles.

These are the 2 best compliments I've ever received. One is from my insurance company, they said my company balance sheet is one of the best they've ever seen. Second one is from my financial advisor, he said every decision I make is emotionless.

#1278 9 months ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Second one is from my financial advisor, he said every decision I make is emotionless.

Hopefully you mean every FINANCIAL decision....

2 weeks later
    #1279 9 months ago

Bought 1,000 shares of Starbucks at $82.55

#1280 9 months ago

Still think selling amazon puts are pretty good way to go. Premium is usually fairly high.
    The stock is higher now than it was before the last earnings report, and most didnt like the results.
    Hard to not like company that has increasing revenue quarter after quarter.

#1281 9 months ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Bought 1,000 shares of Starbucks at $82.55

Damn sir you are on another level.

#1282 9 months ago
    Quoted from Tomahawkjim:

Damn sir you are on another level.

You ever hear of fat fingers trade? I wanted to buy 1 share of AMZN but my computer auto filled 100 and I hit confirm like a doofus. So I looked the next minute and I’m -$175,000 in margin balance. I sold 99 share just as quick and made like $8. Should have kept them around since this was just after earning would’ve been up a few hundred bucks.

#1283 9 months ago

I'm 50% VIGAX and 50% VIGRX. Slow and steady wins the race. I'll spread that out a little more as I get more to invest.

#1284 8 months ago
    Quoted from sataneatscheese:

I'm 50% VIGAX and 50% VIGRX. Slow and steady wins the race. t.

Yes it does. Very large portfolios can be built like this. Just takes some patience and ability to think ahead.

4 weeks later
    #1285 7 months ago

Covered 12 Netflix 290 Jan 17 puts at $8.76

Originally sold at $24.65

*** I forgot to list the initial trade. My 5 Netflix that I sold at $15, I purchased back at $18 a week later, then immediately sold the ones I just covered.

1 week later
    #1286 7 months ago

Sold 5 Boeing Puts 3/20/20 $325 for $17.81

#1287 7 months ago
    Quoted from rai:

Thanks

Afraid to ask what you're doing with the call...

#1288 7 months ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Afraid to ask what you're doing with the call...

I pushed them up to $250/260 share in June/July but anyway I'm underwater (or would lose at that price). What have I done is buy some more shares in the 240-260 price range and been selling a *crap load* of puts in the $230/$240/$260 price range. I figure I have 6-7 months of selling puts and if they get exercised then I will have shares to sell if they get called later. If they do get called away I can still sell a bunch of future puts into eternity. I will maybe not get back all the lost price if they get called away but I have been able to sell thousands of dollars of puts.

I am not selling that far out puts but if I did one year out $260 put on AAPL I could get $1800 (so it's like $150/month per contract) and I have been able to sell dozens of future put contracts so far.

Have had poor luck selling calls so I really don't do it that much.

2 weeks later
    #1289 7 months ago

New year, new trades:

Bought back 10 Amazon January 17 $1,700 Puts @ $1.36 (Originally sold at $59.53)

Sold 3 Disney March 20 $155 Calls @ $3.10

Sold 20 Las Vegas Sands March 20 $75 Calls @ $1.56

Sold 2 United Healthcare March 20 $320 Calls @ $2.22

#1290 7 months ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

New year, new trades:
    Bought back 10 Amazon January 17 $1,700 Puts @ $1.36 (Originally sold at $59.53)

You’re the man.

#1291 7 months ago
    Quoted from rai:

You’re the man.

I would like to up vote this post 100,000 times.

#1292 7 months ago

On a tangent, our total return in 2019 was about 27%. That was based on a 70/25/5 portfolio mix of mutual funds, the 5% being cash or cash equivalents.

The S&P return was 29%.

I have executed zero trades for probably close to 15 years; only fund purchases with some modest rebalancing. This is obviously a passive strategy versus the active strategy being discussed.

Our portfolio dollar gain in 2019 was about 2.7x our combined gross income, primarily a function of LBYM over 25 years.

#1293 7 months ago

2019 - up 65%
    2018 - down 8%
    2017 - up 56%
    2016 - up 86%
    2015 - up 7%
    2014 - up 2%
    2013 - up 2%
    2012 - up 34%
    2011 - up 4%
    2010 - up 16%
    2009 - up 30%
    2008 - down 16%
    2007 - up 10%

I'm averaging 22% over a 13 year period

#1294 7 months ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

2019 - up 65%
    2018 - down 8%
    2017 - up 56%
    2016 - up 86%
    2015 - up 7%
    2014 - up 2%
    2013 - up 2%
    2012 - up 34%
    2011 - up 4%
    2010 - up 16%
    2009 - up 30%
    2008 - down 16%
    2007 - up 10%
    I'm averaging 22% over a 13 year period

I'm not sure if I can suss out my exact returns over that time period, but i want to say we have averaged 9% a year over the last 5 years.

I arrive at that number based on our net worth increasing by 88% since Jan 2015 and correcting for the new money we added during that time.

I am still anticipating full financial independence between 52 and 54. I need an average 5.5% return over the next five years plus our contributions to do that.

Many roads to Dublin, good luck in 2020.

EDIT
    I think my 9% average over the last 5 years is about right. The S&P returned about this average over the same time and while we have 25% bonds, I do have a large equity holding that has been a heavy outperformer.

#1295 7 months ago

We’re in the roaring twenties now. Hold on to your butts!

#1296 7 months ago
    Quoted from Kneissl:

We’re in the roaring twenties now. Hold on to your butts!

I plan on raiding my 401k for funds... in 34 years. If the market goes down this decade... more stock money for me in the future! If the market goes up this decade... more stock money for me in the future. Long story short, I'm good.

Start paying for oldests' college in 10 years though.

Dow 60,000 by 2030!

#1297 7 months ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

New year, new trades:
    Sold 3 Disney March 20 $155 Calls @ $3.10
    Sold 20 Las Vegas Sands March 20 $75 Calls @ $1.56
    Sold 2 United Healthcare March 20 $320 Calls @ $2.22

Amazon is my favorite for calls and puts
    The premiums continue to be great. 10 Amzn would have made me nervous. It’s probably going back to 2k but I was sweating a year ago at 1350
    Good luck

#1298 7 months ago

43 Apple Calls 170 strike, June 2021 exp

Unrealized gain

AAPL Jun 18 2021 170.0 Call 4,300 --- 40.2223 172,955.90 -- 120.00 516,000.00 343,044.10 198.34% Short
    3,000 05/14/19 39.7769 119,330.58 -- 120.00 360,000.00 240,669.42 201.68% Short
    1,300 06/10/19 41.2502 53,625.32 -- 120.00 156,000.00 102,374.68 190.91% Short

#1299 7 months ago

30 Apple calls, took profit in SEP when Apple was trading around $280 to buy PINS for a trade into mid 2020

AAPL Jun 18 2021 185.0 Call Sell to Close.FIFO 3,000 06/07/19 91,829.96 12/20/19 302,523.67 210,693.71 229.44% Short

#1300 7 months ago

How much higher can this AAPL run . I have 100% of my retirement in it but still got 6 years left to hit 65

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    € 40.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Creo Pinball
    $ 25.00
    Various Other Swag
    Tommy's Pins
    $ 289.00
    $ 209.99
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    Boards
    PCB Emporium
    $ 25.00
    Hardware
    Police Force Spinner Out of stock
    Tucson Pinball
    $ 115.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 95.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 125.00
    $ 189.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 10.00
    $ 36.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Protection
    UpKick Pinball
    € 159.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    FlipperLED
    $ 139.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 45.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 17.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    BK Pinball
    $ 18.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    There are 4656 posts in this topic. You are on page 26 of 94.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside