kuiil-have-spoken.gif
200w.gif
gold24 (resized).jpg
counting_coins_02.gif
IMG_1659 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
hawks.gif

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 20,988 posts in this topic. You are on page 256 of 420.
#12751 2 years ago
Quoted from thechakapakuni:

Does Amazon seem like it’s on the way for a stock split? If so, does it pay to have Amazon before a split? (Or does it dilute the splits and less valuable after)

1) people have been speculating on an amzn split for at least a year. Speculation fail.

2)Technically splits mean nothing from a value standpoint.

3) In general splits usually have a small positive effect since more retail can buy in, the stock gets included in indexes which then leads to index funds buying them, etc..

counter argument is that splits aren’t as appealing anymore since people can buy fractional shares now anyway.

Me personally I would love a split. Mostly so I could play the options.

#12752 2 years ago

Does Amazon seem like it’s on the way for a stock split? If so, does it pay to have Amazon before a split? (Or does it dilute the splits and less valuable after)

No dilution or multiplication of shares beyond what the split number would be.

I've owned Apple that split 7 for 1 and 4 for 1 so basically if Amzn split 10 for 1 and the stock was $3200 currently after the split you would own 10 shares that are worth $320 each.

One time Google split 2 for 1 but the two shares came out at different class (voting rights) and slightly different price but you got to own both if you owned the shares before the split (there is now GOOG and GOOGL)

Also you don't have to do anything it just happens you have x times more shares at a lower price, the options will also multiply so if you had a Put or a Call it would multiply the number of Puts and the strike price will be adjusted accordingly.

#12753 2 years ago

Ok, thanks for the info. I’m anticipating Amazon sales to slow a little as the lockdown clears, but the possible split had me wondering if now is the time. I guess I’ll have to read up on the history of splits and why companies decide when to do it

#12754 2 years ago

Ok, thanks for the info. I’m anticipating Amazon sales to slow a little as the lockdown clears, but the possible split had me wondering if now is the time. I guess I’ll have to read up on the history of splits and why companies decide when to do it

I'm not sure if it should matter about the split but I believe they said Tesla split drove the price up (that doesn't make sense to me because the company financials are still the same). Maybe more people would invest in AMZN at $300/share than would at $3K/share.

#12755 2 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I'm not sure if it should matter about the split but I believe they said Tesla split drove the price up (that doesn't make sense to me because the company financials are still the same). Maybe more people would invest in AMZN at $300/share than would at $3K/share.

Normal forward splits are typically considered good for companies and considered positive by their holders. One thing it does is the lower entry price allows more people to get in. Also, your # of shares doubles, and while at first it is break even, it will eventually lead you to greater returns if the stock goes back up to where it is currently priced.

#12756 2 years ago

That would be my thoughts as well. Easier entry means more buyers

#12757 2 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I owned Amazon in the early years when there was 2 for 1 split and a 3 for 1 split, it always did great after the splits. Wish I'd kept those shares, but when it hit $450 a share, I was sure it could go no higher

#12758 2 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

I owned Amazon in the early years when there was 2 for 1 split and a 3 for 1 split, it always did great after the splits. Wish I'd kept those shares, but when it hit $450 a share, I was sure it could go no higher

Right? It doesn't matter what it is, there's a certain point where you are like...nope..I'm out. I mean...I would never have held BTC to 50k..probably not even 20k...probably not past $1k lol.

#12759 2 years ago

BTW, I just saw this. Interesting…

Insider at Amazon.com (AMZN) Makes Significant Sale of Stock
BY MT NEWSWIRES — 5 MINUTES AGO
10:20 PM EDT, 05/10/2021 (MT Newswires) -- One insider -- Jeffrey P Bezos, 10% Owner, Director and Officer -- today, sold 387,247 shares of Amazon.com (AMZN) having a market value of approximately $1,271,306,150, as disclosed in a form 4 document filed with the SEC. There have been 3 insiders with buy/sell transactions in the past 90 days prior to this filing. All of these trades have been sales resulting in the sale of 370,425 company shares. Adding the most recent activity to this 90-day history indicates insider trades have seen net sales of 757,672 shares and have averaged 189,418 shares per transaction over this time period.

#12760 2 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Most of the Amazon move that you are talking about was in the first 3 months of last year. It has been pretty flat since then.

Quoted from rai:

Amazon stock is the same price as it was 10 months ago (July 10, 2020). Not the end of the world for me, I want to add some AMZN and not sorry it hasn't gone to the moon.

Right, I was suggesting the market figured out what the pandemic was going to mean for Amazon last spring/summer, so mad profits were expected and already priced in. Presumably you'd need something big and unexpected to see further big swings.

#12761 2 years ago

Palantir came out with good earnings a week too late though. Shopify upgraded. I keep hearing about Shopify...I might have to roll the dice a little with that

#12762 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

You remember how people for the last 4 years been saying don't believe the media? Let me guess, you were one of them, and now you suddenly believe it because it fits your narrative? Sorry, but it's already been debunked. People who's jobs came back DID go back to work. What is left are shit jobs, or companies who still think you need 15 years of experience to hire.

Sorry, this fits your narrative and is a blanket statement that is just not true.
I know people that own restaurants that can't hire dishwashers at $20/hour
I know people in IT that can't fill good high paying IT jobs with signing bonuses.
It runs the spectrum and not everybody went back to work and employers are having a difficult time filling positions

This is not from the media, it's direct from business owners and hiring managers

#12763 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Sorry, but it's already been debunked. People who's jobs came back DID go back to work. What is left are shit jobs, or companies who still think you need 15 years of experience to hire.

I'm not sure where you live, but I'm part of a network of small business owners in my area (about 30 or so) and almost all of them have been complaining about finding people that want to work. The ones that own restaurants and other companies that require labor on the lower skill scale have lost a significant amount of staff.

Why come back to work when you're getting the standard $300+/week from standard unemployment + the additional $300/week from the CARES act. Can't argue with $31,000/year in free income for sitting at home playing Xbox.

#12764 2 years ago

Here's one of the rare situations where both sides are right, the unemployment payment is definitely putting the brakes on rehiring but it also helped dole cash out to the end user, the people who will actually spend it and float the economy during a downturn...is there pork and waste? Absolutely. Which govt program doesn't? Either way, it's helping fellow Americans in time of need and that's good, is it set to expire? Yes, but with inflation do businesses have to raise wages? Yep. The cycle continues like it has since Adam Smith wrote Wealth of Nations

#12765 2 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Here's one of the rare situations where both sides are right, the unemployment payment is definitely putting the brakes on rehiring but it also helped dole cash out to the end user, the people who will actually spend it and float the economy during a downturn...is there pork and waste? Absolutely. Which govt program doesn't? Either way, it's helping fellow Americans in time of need and that's good, is it set to expire? Yes, but with inflation do businesses have to raise wages? Yep. The cycle continues like it has since Adam Smith wrote Wealth of Nations

true,
but we can stop the gov't payouts, get people back to work and spending money they actually earn...

#12766 2 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

true,
but we can stop the gov't payouts, get people back to work and spending money they actually earn...

Would you stop making sense. Geeze. /sarcasm

#12767 2 years ago

Sorry, this fits your narrative and is a blanket statement that is just not true.
I know people in IT that can't fill good high paying IT jobs with signing bonuses.
It runs the spectrum and not everybody went back to work and employers are having a difficult time filling positions
This is not from the media, it's direct from business owners and hiring managers

The blanket statement isn't true the other way either. I'm seeing it from the business side as well. Are workers complaining? They sure are, but they are working. You have to be careful when stating specific wage numbers as well like $20/hr to justify it either because that is highly dependent on where you live and cost of living if that is a decent wage or not. I do have a hard time believing the can't fill high paying IT jobs part because no one is making THAT much money off of it. The big companies have hiring freezes and are cutting jobs.

Again, I know there are definitely people doing what you say, but it isn't that large of a swath of people. It really is more of a mentality that 'omg people are getting something for free! This must staaaauupp!'.

#12768 2 years ago

I thought unemployment was contingent on person looking for a job. There should be a job matching protocol where a person is offered a job they have to take it or lose the free pay for not working. IMO

I think it’s also asinine to pay someone more money in unemployment than they were making.

Also it’s great if everyone says raise the minimum wage but what about skilled workers that would just be making a bit higher than the new minimum? How is that fair? They’d need a commensurate raise as well no?

#12769 2 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I thought unemployment was contingent on person looking for a job. There should be a job matching protocol where a person is offered a job they have to take it or lose the free pay for not working. IMO
I think it’s also asinine to pay someone more money in unemployment than they were making.
Also it’s great if everyone says raise the minimum wage but what about skilled workers that would just be making a bit higher than the new minimum? How is that fair? They’d need a commensurate raise as well no?

It isn't always, and during this they did not require it. I do agree, at this point, it should be required.

As far as the skilled workers wages...here is where I tend to lean the other way. I do not think a entry level job needs a $15/hr across the board minimum. I don't know what that minimum should be, but it isn't a flat one. It would depend on where you live. $15/hr is a good wage where I live, but would be crap in NY or LA.

That being said, if they do it, I could retire earlier and flip burgers as supplemental income :p

#12770 2 years ago

Taking a 5% loss in the last 24 hours. Quite the death march for my little green solders recently.

#12771 2 years ago

true,

That's a trap for the administration, if they cut payments and the economy stalls they'll blame them. The risk of dragging this out till Sept is a much safer play, and all those businesses, restaurants and hotels are also getting free money.

#12772 2 years ago

The root of the problem is the talking heads and pundits who live for these rants and controversies....just rant and blame. This grabs headlines, clicks etc...This is the most dangerous thing plaguing the country....most times the problems are not easily solvable

#12773 2 years ago
Quoted from Monk:

Taking a 5% loss in the last 24 hours. Quite the death march for my little green solders recently.

Ouch, yeah..great start to the day :/

#12774 2 years ago

Is it time to start nibbling on the growth stocks that don't make a profit, but are down 50-75% from their highs of a couple months ago?

I did nibble on some DKGN, TTD, and 100 shares of ARKK for fun near the close yesterday. And of course all 3 are down 4-6% in the premarket.

#12775 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I do have a hard time believing the can't fill high paying IT jobs...

Sorry for your difficulty, I know it doesn't fit your narrative ... but it's true
I have yet to speak to any business owner or hiring manager that is not having issues hiring people

And I don't care where you live, $20/hr for washing dishes is pretty good pay for unskilled labor

#12776 2 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

That's a trap for the administration, if they cut payments and the economy stalls they'll blame them. The risk of dragging this out till Sept is a much safer play, also all those businesses, restaurants and hotels are also getting free money.

Correct .. Politics keeps you from doing the right thing

#12777 2 years ago

Raise your hand if you want to see an ugly red chart? And to think somebody a few months ago said that people only posted winners and not losers.

2021-05-11t09-14-21 (resized).png2021-05-11t09-14-21 (resized).png
#12778 2 years ago

The labor shortage is insane in the tech field right now. The referral bonus where I'm at is $5,000 right now. That is not the signing bonus... that is how much I get paid if I get someone to work with me for 45 days. 6 figure jobs and companies are sniping each other not for talent, but for warm bodies.

#12779 2 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Raise your hand if you want to see an ugly red chart? And to think somebody a few months ago said that people only posted winners and not losers.
[quoted image]

CCIV from $23 to $59 and back down to $17...

#12780 2 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

CCIV from $23 to $59 and back down to $17...

This is just this morning.

#12781 2 years ago

Sorry for your difficulty, I know it doesn't fit your narrative ... but it's true
I have yet to speak to any business owner or hiring manager that is not having issues hiring people
And I don't care where you live, $20/hr for washing dishes is pretty good pay for unskilled labor

Show me all these ads for people offering $20/hr for washing dishes, I might move there. Maybe less riff raff where I live? I am not seeing what you are seeing at all. The issue you describe was an issue long before COVID.

#12782 2 years ago

It burns it burns.

I told my wife to not look at the account for a year or two.

She did say as long as I make more than a 10 yr treasury bond, (which is what she wanted me to put all the investment income into) then she won’t be mad...

#12783 2 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

The labor shortage is insane in the tech field right now. The referral bonus where I'm at is $5,000 right now. That is not the signing bonus... that is how much I get paid if I get someone to work with me for 45 days. 6 figure jobs and companies are sniping each other not for talent, but for warm bodies.

So you're telling me, that people making ~30k a year can't be convinced to come do a 6 figure job? If those are the same people they are trying to actually get, then there's more to it than 'they don't want to work'. I think some of you have your correlations mixed.

EDIT: anyway, I'm sorry, while I do think this conversation has direct correlation to the market and where it will head, I am sure I am way off topic.

Today is a blood bath, I am not really clear as to why at the moment, but I'm glad I've waited to buy more...not seeing a bottom as I'm not sure what the drive is - other than a normal May?

#12784 2 years ago

There are jobs left, right , and center around here. Here are just some of the entry level jobs. Don't know what people are seeing where they are. The gas station at the end of the road is trying to hire for 15/bucks an hour with a sign on bonus and can't get people.

2021-05-11t09-48-07 (resized).png2021-05-11t09-48-07 (resized).png
#12785 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Show me all these ads for people offering $20/hr for washing dishes, I might move there. Maybe less riff raff where I live? I am not seeing what you are seeing at all. The issue you describe was an issue long before COVID.

Guess you should start packing your shit. This took me all of 30 seconds to find.

Dishwasher - $18.23 - $23.83/hour

https://www.indeed.com/viewjob?jk=7d3d9a2e0d1d4a45&tk=1f5dqs67nt5ar800&from=serp&vjs=3

Line Cook - $20 - $23/hour

https://www.indeed.com/viewjob?cmp=Matador-West-Seattle&t=Line+Cook+Prep+Cook&jk=8dfc905736e4ae86

Cook - $18.74 - $21.88/hour

https://www.indeed.com/viewjob?jk=560cc1a29a49bfc1&tk=1f5dqs67nt5ar800&from=serp&vjs=3

#12786 2 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

Is it time to start nibbling on the growth stocks that don't make a profit, but are down 50-75% from their highs of a couple months ago?
I did nibble on some DKGN, TTD, and 100 shares of ARKK for fun near the close yesterday. And of course all 3 are down 4-6% in the premarket.

Thank me for the turnaround. I had orders set on 6 stocks to buy at the open for about 0.5% less than they were. None executed and the market jumped.

#12787 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

So you're telling me, that people making ~30k a year can't be convinced to come do a 6 figure job? If those are the same people they are trying to actually get, then there's more to it than 'they don't want to work'. I think some of you have your correlations mixed.
EDIT: anyway, I'm sorry, while I do think this conversation has direct correlation to the market and where it will head, I am sure I am way off topic.
Today is a blood bath, I am not really clear as to why at the moment, but I'm glad I've waited to buy more...not seeing a bottom as I'm not sure what the drive is - other than a normal May?

Quoted from DBLM:

There are jobs left, right , and center around here. Here are just some of the entry level jobs. Don't know what people are seeing where they are. The gas station at the end of the road is trying to hire for 15/bucks an hour with a sign on bonus and can't get people.
[quoted image]

Can confirm the low end labor shortage here. Stopped by the gas station... hiring bonus. Taco Bell drive through... up to $16 an hour and paid daily.

#12788 2 years ago

Check out the drop down to see jobs by salary ranges. Lots of jobs of all stripes.

I agree with Oaken that lack of childcare is a big detriment to filling some of these jobs (don't know the percentage, but I would have to think it is a fair amount). But to say there are not good high paying jobs around (at least here) is not correct.

2021-05-11t09-50-14 (resized).png2021-05-11t09-50-14 (resized).png
#12789 2 years ago

Interesting. I could be wrong? Maybe it's regional? It's just not the same around here. The jobs that were hard to fill before COVID are still hard to fill. Otherwise, everyone is back to work. Additionally, all the big companies I work with are downsizing.

#12790 2 years ago

I will admit from my perspective, that is some insane wages for those jobs. What is the cost of living there? Around here those jobs are 11-14 tops.

#12791 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Interesting. I could be wrong? Maybe it's regional? It's just not the same around here. The jobs that were hard to fill before COVID are still hard to fill. Otherwise, everyone is back to work. Additionally, all the big companies I work with are downsizing.

I know about 30 small business owners that would agree that you're wrong but would love it if you were right.

#12792 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I will admit from my perspective, that is some insane wages for those jobs. What is the cost of living there?

No clue. I just searched Google for $20/hour dishwasher jobs and that's what came up.

#12793 2 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

No clue. I just searched Google for $20/hour dishwasher jobs and that's what came up.

Well wait a minute, that will teach me not to look at the details of what someone posts. Fairbanks, Alaska, and Portland/Seattle Washington...I mean...no...one is a population issue (along with alternative industry competition), the others are expensive COL. My point was COL makes a big difference of what those wages mean.

My point also is people are talking like they personally have talked to local businesses. So I guess my initial ask stands. You can't randomly grab want ads for random areas and claim it makes your point without context.

#12794 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Well wait a minute, that will teach me not to look at the details of what someone posts. Fairbanks, Alaska, and Portland/Seattle Washington...I mean...no...one is a population issue, the others are expensive COL. My point was COL makes a big difference of what those wages mean.
My point also is people are talking like they personally have talked to local businesses. So I guess my initial ask stands. You can't randomly grab want ads for random areas and claim it makes your point without context.

I have talked to local businesses including gas stations, marinas, construction, plumbers, electricians, marketing companies, retail, restaurants, and government agencies. They can not find workers across a spectrum.

I grant you that I live half way between DC and Baltimore, which is a lot more expensive than Iowa. But we also have some much higher paying IT type jobs that are having a hard time being filled. Check out this Ace hardware store manager for 62-75K a year? The gas station up the road is trying to hire a manager for 85K a year.

2021-05-11t10-08-09 (resized).png2021-05-11t10-08-09 (resized).png
#12795 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Maybe you didn't read what I posed twice. I'm in a networking group with about 30 small businesses. There has been countless conversation about issues finding employees. And when they can find someone they are paying way more than they did before all the free money. So yes, I talk to more small business owners in the course of a week than you probably do in a year.

I'm not sure what other proof you need? Do you want me to have 10 or 15 of them personally call you or something? If you've already made your mind up, that's fine, but before you start posting crap you might want to let people know that whatever they say isn't going to change your mind.

#12796 2 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Maybe you didn't read what I posed twice. I'm in a networking group with about 30 small businesses. There has been countless conversation about issues finding employees. So yes, I talk to more small business owners in the course of a week than you probably do in a year.
I'm not sure what other proof you need? Do you want me to have 10 or 15 of them personally call you or something? If you've already made your mind up, that's fine, but before you start posting crap you might want to let people know that whatever they say isn't going to change your mind.

Just needed context. Like I also said multiple times, not seeing it here.

#12797 2 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

I have talked to local businesses including gas stations, marinas, construction, plumbers, electricians, marketing companies, retail, restaurants, and government agencies. They can not find workers across a spectrum.
I grant you that I live half way between DC and Baltimore, which is a lot more expensive than Iowa. But we also have some much higher paying IT type jobs that are having a hard time being filled. Check out this Ace hardware store manager for 62-75K a year? The gas station up the road is trying to hire a manager for 85K a year.[quoted image]

Fair enough. On that note though, you couldn't pay me enough to be a store manager in the current environment. My wife runs a retail business. I wouldn't recommend it, lol.

#12798 2 years ago

Not beating a dead horse but here are the updated numbers from the Bureau of Labor and Statistics that just came out on Seeking Alpha a min ago.

2021-05-11t10-17-46 (resized).png2021-05-11t10-17-46 (resized).png
#12799 2 years ago

For those of you that own PLTR;

https://www.coindesk.com/peter-thiels-palantir-now-accepts-bitcoin-payments-thinking-about-treasury-investment

"The publicly traded software company has begun accepting the crypto as a form of payment, he said. Additionally, investing in bitcoin as a treasury reserve asset is “definitely on the table.”"

#12800 2 years ago

That was some crazy whiplash. Where's it going to land? In mine..it dropped fast, gained it all back fast, then dropped fast again about halfway.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.95
$ 18.95
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

There are 20,988 posts in this topic. You are on page 256 of 420.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stock-market-traders/page/256?hl=tramd and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.