IMG_3037 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2908 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7658 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240226-151719 (resized).png
Screenshot_20240226-151210 (resized).png
IMG_1493 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0470 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 20,831 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 417.
#1201 4 years ago

Here you go with small cap portfolio since Jan. Obviously Apple is buy and hold and buy more on dips

Screen Shot 2019-07-10 at 10.41.33 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-07-10 at 10.41.33 PM (resized).png
#1202 4 years ago

Think beyond the self.
Some middle class folk wouldn’t choose an early inheritance at all let alone the non spouse IRA BDA vehicle. Early illness and death happen.

The new ruling potentially straight jackets tax and leaves less to heirs.
An emotional moment for some clients when they hear of the news.

#1203 4 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

The new ruling potentially straight jackets tax brackets and leaves less to heirs.
An emotional moment for some clients when they hear of the news.

Granted, it doesn't help the massive homeless camps in the Bay Area Vino. Shame on Cali

#1204 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Granted, it doesn't help the massive homeless camps in the Bay Area Vino. Shame on Cali

Agree. Big issues out here.
Trade on!

#1205 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Roth
Roth conversions
Gotta understand that
Taxes are on sale now
And the new law is RMDS at 72 and inherited iras have to be pulled over 10 yrs
Pay the tax now. Never pay it again not the compounded growth
Your welcome. From a CPA, estate planning lawyer and financial advisor with $350 million of assets under management

See, to me everyone says this without really thinking about it.

#1) If I'm making so much money in retirement that my tax rate is higher, do I even care?
#2) If I'm in a high tax bracket and then in retirement I'm super low, then I cost myself a bunch of money
#3) If you're a high earner and think about it some, you could retire a year or two early and use those years to convert IRA's to Roth's when you have no other income. You'd barely pay any tax.

It's not a simple "Roth is the way to go" every time. Basically, if you have $100k and convert it to a Roth to be $66k, you've given away $34k right away with no possibility of finding a loophole. They're always coming up with loopholes, you just have to be ready when the next one comes up.

Now if you're in a really low tax bracket now, then Roth is definitely the way to go. It's just when you're in a high tax bracket that it becomes a little cloudy.

#1206 4 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

See, to me everyone says this without really thinking about it.
#1) If I'm making so much money in retirement that my tax rate is higher, do I even care?
#2) If I'm in a high tax bracket and then in retirement I'm super low, then I cost myself a bunch of money
#3) If you're a high earner and think about it some, you could retire a year or two early and use those years to convert IRA's to Roth's when you have no other income. You'd barely pay any tax.
It's not a simple "Roth is the way to go" every time. Basically, if you have $100k and convert it to a Roth to be $66k, you've given away $34k right away with no possibility of finding a loophole. They're always coming up with loopholes, you just have to be ready when the next one comes up.
Now if you're in a really low tax bracket now, then Roth is definitely the way to go. It's just when you're in a high tax bracket that it becomes a little cloudy.

I plan to retire soon and have both Taxable savings and tax shelter savings.

The trick is this.

I am in the highest tax bracket now.

I will be in a highest tax bracket again once I take SS and once RMD kicks in.

So there is a window (I call it a tax doughnut hole). When I’m between high tax (working) and high tax (RMD + SS).

>>>>>>>>>_______<<<<<<<<<

So there’s a few years when my taxes will be low I can live off my taxable savings and convert my IRAs to Roth IRAs.

Avoiding taxes is the name of the game. I want to pay my fair share but if there’s a scenario like the one I pointed out above that can give me an enormous additional money not paid to taxes.

Plus moving to a low tax state in retirement.

#1207 4 years ago

Put this one on your radar: Fastly

Do you think Apple can break resistance at $205?

#1208 4 years ago

Covered 5 United Healthcare Puts $220 9/20/19 @ $0.92

Originally sold for $12.04 on 4/22/19

#1209 4 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

YTD - up 35%
2017 - up 56%
2016 - up 86%
2015 - up 7%
2014 - up 2%
2013 - up 2%
2012 - up 34%
2011 - up 4%
2010 - up 16%
2009 - up 30%
2008 - down 16%
2007 - up 10%
Over a 12 year period (I'm counting this year as a full year), I average a little over 22% per year.
This is only for my trading account. My other accounts average a lot less, due to owning many more stocks, mutual funds and bonds.
My trading account represents 25% of my total portfolio. When I first started with it, it represented 5% of the portfolio.
****NOTE: I made a terrible calculation on 2014. I typed in the wrong number on the calculator showing a huge loss, when I was up on the year.

2018 - down 8.5%
2019 - up 52%

#1210 4 years ago

I've been retired for about one year now and it's SO nice not having to work
but was a bit scary going from $$$ income to about a third of that. The truth is I'm living quite well on Social Security along with rental income from a beach house. I haven't had a need or desire to tap into my IRA or Roth or stock market account. My advice to anyone younger is always max out any matching IRA funds your company offers, open a ROTH if you can, invest in a house, don't piss money on depreciating assets like cars. Otherwise, pay everything off before you retire and you can live pretty well.

#1211 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Roth
Roth conversions
Gotta understand that
Taxes are on sale now
And the new law is RMDS at 72 and inherited iras have to be pulled over 10 yrs
Pay the tax now. Never pay it again not the compounded growth
Your welcome. From a CPA, estate planning lawyer and financial advisor with $350 million of assets under management

Please clarify the Inherited IRA pulled over 10 yrs law.

How does this effect an "Activated" Inherited IRA. If/when this goes into effect how does that effect this situation? Does this mean it has to be taken out within 10 years of the death or 10 years of this law going into effect? (I assume the later).

Are they planning on using a new calculation to up the RMD based on 10 years rather than age of the recipient or just make sure it is all taken lump sum at the end of 10 years?

3 weeks later
#1212 4 years ago

So I'm a buy and hold kind of guy with 30+ years until I retire with all my holdings outside my residence in mutual funds. I am curious how the active traders are playing on the 850+ point drop in the market today (8/5/2019).

#1213 4 years ago

Buy

#1214 4 years ago

If you’re saving for retirement 30 years this dip is not bad. It’s healthy and normal stocks can’t go always up.

Buy more, 30 years from now these prices will look really cheap.

I just picked a stock at random 1990 Caterpillar was $5.60 now it’s $122.

#1215 4 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

So I'm a buy and hold kind of guy with 30+ years until I retire with all my holdings outside my residence in mutual funds. I am curious how the active traders are playing on the 850+ point drop in the market today (8/5/2019).

We've been buying and holding for almost 25 years now. I hate days like yesterday because my strategy requires that I do nothing. My monthly investment day is always the first business day of the month, so I didn't submit a buy on more mutual funds since I already bought in August.

I won't hit refresh on Quicken for awhile, I know about how much the portfolio dropped without having to verify. It's probably close to my yearly salary.

#1216 4 years ago

I posted this before but back in 1987 the stock market dropped 22% on one day.

If that was today’s level DJI 27000 the one day drop would be 4800 points.

Anyway if you look back this was 32 years ago but the price of the stocks market is up at least 14x higher now, not counting dividends which give 2-3% a year.

A lot of people look at index prices and forget the dividends which iirc give half of the gains and are not reflected in stock index daily price level quotes.

Here is a graph showing even during our current bull market there have been dips. If anyone had sold out during a dip they’re missing a lot of potential gains.

Stocks don’t go straight up always up and downs.
3B542052-01F9-4C14-865C-BE2ED9584587 (resized).png3B542052-01F9-4C14-865C-BE2ED9584587 (resized).png

43662519-7176-45B0-9133-FF0320D71628 (resized).jpeg43662519-7176-45B0-9133-FF0320D71628 (resized).jpeg

#1217 4 years ago

Are you thinking of 87? I remember the headlines in the newspaper being in giant print, then forgot about it while I went to play on my Nintendo.

#1218 4 years ago
Quoted from investingdad:

Are you thinking of 87? I remember the headlines in the newspaper being in giant print, then forgot about it while I went to play on my Nintendo.

Sorry yes 1987

44051B6F-2E9A-48FF-97D1-A085A1815F68 (resized).jpeg44051B6F-2E9A-48FF-97D1-A085A1815F68 (resized).jpeg

2 weeks later
#1219 4 years ago

My TBL Early Achievers post about learning how to trade and making up that loss $8500 by trading options was deleted. I took the losses personal and figured out a way to make that money back that was stolen from Barry and the DP gang. So I decided maybe the appropriate place for this chatter is here within this thread.

I hired Scott a trading coach four years ago. He was someone who had twenty years of experience and two blown accounts in the rear view mirror. He also did work on the Think or Swim platform before it was sold off to TD Ameritrade. FYI it takes the average person 3-5 years to become a consistently profitable trader.

I recently started a stock picking service where I text out the trades and the price target and the level we exit at for a trailing stop. I have two subscribers that I am using as test subjects so that I can hammer out the issues and start running a trading room on Discord or similar site next August. I text out trades that I am taking myself during the first 90 mins of the trading day.

Posted below are some trades we placed this morning. Calls on JNUG AG and WPM and USO/ XOP puts. Already up over 950 bucks total with the new JNUG WPM AG positions that were placed an hour after today's open. My account is up over 9K from the close yesterday. I just might beat my record of 10K in a day today )

Jay who has a $12,500 sized account for my service is only using 3K of the funds to trade with. He has only 4 open positions max at a time. Two days ago his total profit after just over 3 weeks of working with me is +$14,400. He grew that account more than 100% using minimal risk. Our win rate is over 50% and the average win is many times > than the average loss.

David is a manufacturing biz owner and also an entrepreneur like Jay. David took $75K and grew it into $800K starting in January of this year into early August. He just sent me funds for another month worth of service because even he finds value in my stock picks. On Monday of this week he got long NVDA and made 3K that day on my setup.

I am a swing trader/ intermediate term holding period and that means I hold as short as a day if the trade immediately goes against me or as long as a month. I buy at the money Call or Put options that expire 4-6 weeks out. I have a watch list of 250 of the most liquid options and trade only those tickers.

So yes, when I get kicked in the nutz I seek to inflict revenge in the best way possible. In this case it was using these trading profits to buy a CCC from pinsider adamross now that TBL is totally FACKed Man!

Oh, FYI I plan on entering and dominating the 2020 US Investing Championship! The trader in second place in the Futures/Options division is up only 20%...LMAO. The SP500 was up 20% back on 1JUL19.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20190801005196/en/United-States-Investing-Championship-Month-Results

I post these screenshots and you'all can follow us both on StockTwits under akpowpow (my account) and Jay_Stephen my subscriber.

IMG_2310 (resized).jpgIMG_2310 (resized).jpgIMG_2311 (resized).PNGIMG_2311 (resized).PNGIMG_2312 (resized).PNGIMG_2312 (resized).PNGIMG_2313 (resized).PNGIMG_2313 (resized).PNGIMG_2314 (resized).PNGIMG_2314 (resized).PNG
#1220 4 years ago

I wish someone would take away Trump's phone...or set it up where his tweets go nowhere.

#1221 4 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I wish someone would take away Trump's phone...or set it up where his tweets go nowhere.

I think we as a nation need to give him one of these.. I just wish the man would act more like an adult and have some self constraint/discipline

faketrumpphone (resized).jpgfaketrumpphone (resized).jpg
#1222 4 years ago
Quoted from fisherdaman:

I think we as a nation need to give him one of these.. I just wish the man would act more like an adult and have some self constraint/discipline[quoted image]

For full disclosure, I'm not trying to make it political, so please keep the politics out of what I am writing.

More full disclosure, I voted for him. I like a lot of what he is doing. The market obviously likes having him as president. But for the love of God, he doesn't need to tweet out every little thought that goes through his head. The market drop today is all on him.

If he practiced just a smudge of self control, he'd easily win re-election. The only thing I can think of, is that he is either wants to make his re-election as tough as possible or that he thinks the eventual Democrat nominee will be Elizabeth Warren.

This is all I can think of:

#1224 4 years ago

Go read my post and see the 50%+ gain in 45 days. Not for the meek.

#1225 4 years ago

Had my first 10K day today! Thank you Mr. Market for your nice gross salary of $1,538.50 an hour during the 6.5 hr session today. On Friday I was up $8700, then yesterday(Monday) gave back $540 and now back to CrUsHiNg IT on FAT TUESDAY!

Even my mom listened to me and her buy n hold stocks are up $6K since Friday. Her portfolio is only $40K. She made 15% in three days! And ppl say you are killing it if you make an annual ROR of 7% and beat hedge fund managers who can't the SP500. LMFAO!

8700 (resized).png8700 (resized).png1st 10K day (resized).jpg1st 10K day (resized).jpgMama Happy 6K (resized).PNGMama Happy 6K (resized).PNG
#1226 4 years ago
Quoted from LITZ:

Had my first 10K day today! Thank you Mr. Market for your nice gross salary of $1,538.50 an hour during the 6.5 hr session today. On Friday I was up $8700, then yesterday(Monday) gave back $540 and now back to CrUsHiNg IT on FAT TUESDAY!
Even my mom listened to me and her buy n hold stocks are up $6K since Friday. Her portfolio is only $40K. She made 15% in three days! And ppl say you are killing it if you make an annual ROR of 7% and beat hedge fund managers who can't the SP500. LMFAO!

Very happy for you. If I knew what I was doing I'd join you in options trading, but it's a very apples to oranges comparison of risk between your trades and the buy-and-hold blue chip investors earning 7%.

#1227 4 years ago

The hard part of active trading is selling the winners, then picking new ones.

Repeatedly.

For 30+ years.

#1228 4 years ago

My Father was a stock broker in the 1970's ... I am investing in PINBALL MACHINES ! pinball market has gone crazy ... up more than stock market ... prices too high (?) ... but if the pinball market crashes > at least I can still play them

#1229 4 years ago
Quoted from SpaceTimeGuy:

My Father was a stock broker in the 1970's ... I am investing in PINBALL MACHINES ! pinball market has gone crazy ... up more than stock market ... prices too high (?) ... but if the pinball market crashes &gt; at least I can still play them

You may not make a huge amount but at least you can enjoy it daily
Watching stocks gives me an ulcer.

#1230 4 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

Very happy for you. If I knew what I was doing I'd join you in options trading, but it's a very apples to oranges comparison of risk between your trades and the buy-and-hold blue chip investors earning 7%.

I keep a spreadsheet of 100 trade blocks divided up in 4 groups of 25 trade blocks. It calculates the number of wins, losses, profits and losses. Then it spits out an Expectancy % which is your edge quantified. If this number is negative then you have no edge. Expectancy tells you how much return you will see in the longer term based on a a dollar of risk. So 20% Expectancy % means that you would see on average a .20c return on $1.00 of risk.

It is calculated like this:

Say 40% win rate and 2.5 reward risk ratio. reward to risk ratio is average win / average loss.

.4 (win) x 2.5= 1.00 - .6(loss) =.4 or 40% Expectancy.

The other metric to compare different systems against each other is Profit Factor.

Profit Factor of 2 or greater is needed or in the intermediate term or longer the account will go to zero.
PF of 2 is considered outstanding and a PF of 3 is unheard of.

As far as option trading goes, I learned how to do calendar spreads and credit spreads. In the end I discovered a single breakout setup the yields a PF of 2.5 on a block of 100 trades in within the 25 trade blocks a PF of 3-5! I trade this by buying at the money or one strike out of the money Calls and Puts that expire 4-6 weeks out and no weekly expiration only the monthly contracts. I am an all or none trader to reduce my commissions. We exit when the price target is hit or when the trailing stop level is breached.

So I have something that is super easy to trade even for someone with no option knowledge.

Here is a sample text I sent out on 8/14/19 SLV 16 calls (SEPT). These contracts were purchased for .60c or $60 per contract and today it closed at 1.21 or $ 121 so these contracts are up 100% in a little over two weeks.

Also on average since 1 option contract controls 100 shares of the underlying unless price is moving in a rapid and large fashion, 1% +/- move would equal a 10% move. For example lets say AMD moved up 3% in a day then the option contract that was purchased with 5 weeks till expiration will be up roughly 30% that day.

You can always paper trade these setups and risk zero money. In a few weeks you would get the hang of it and that is all you need to know. How to buy contracts and then close out the trades. I buy $350-$500 worth of contracts per trade and hold up to 20 trades at once.

#1231 4 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

Options are very high risk but lucrative. A Oct 18 spy 300 strike price gives you the option to buy the spy at $300 the call cost $2.60 so the spy must be over $302.60 before making money. At the same time a Dec 17 2021 $200 strike call gives you the right to buy the spy at $200 27 months from now the call cost is $96 a $3.50 premium. A 839 day option had a $3.50 preium and a 48 day option had a $2.60 premium. The cost of one is $260 the cost of the other is $9600. invest deep in the money you can hold the option for a yr with no premium deterioration

#1232 4 years ago

I spent a fair bit of time studying options as part of my MBA. My conclusion is that they're a fine insurance policy for institutions, high risk for the individual trader. I avoid them.

#1233 4 years ago

I spent a fair bit of time studying options as part of my MBA. My conclusion is that they're a fine insurance policy for institutions, high risk for the individual trader. I avoid them.

Being that people have been talking recession since 2013 when the fed stopped QE I find insurance costly. The reson I buy deep in the money is the lack of premium The Dec 2021 $200 strike call is $96 break even $296 the Dec 2021 $300 strike call $25.50 break even $325.50 same strike date break even $296 and $325.50 deep in the money does not end worthless as most options do

#1234 4 years ago

Two types of options are less risky.

Selling Covered calls = no risk of loss (can only lose potential upside not actual loss of money). Covered call you own the stock, collect the dividends and collect the Call premium. If the stock goes up collect the upside as well. If the call doesn’t execute you can simply sell another call on the position. I don’t love covered calls because if a stock really takes off you lose out on the bigger gains and it can force you to sell and realize a capital gain pay taxes which you might rather not.

Selling puts = risk of buying a stock that is below its strike value. But involves the same risk as owning a stock. Benefit is that you can buy stocks when they are on sale. I have made $20K+ over the last 3 years selling Amazon puts that never executed. But had I just bought Amazon probably would have made more. When you bet on a good stock good things happen. Sell puts on a stock like GE for example and you could end up losing a lot of money.

There are a lot of types of options but the two above are least risk and almost akin to owning a stock long.

#1235 4 years ago

My basic dislike of options lies in the fact that they're zero sum and have no "real" value. That's just my view of them. I won't dispute that the leveraged nature of them creates a lot of potential gains, but I suspect a lot of people that play with them are setting themselves up for a fall.

They do have a place and use, though. No question about that.

#1236 4 years ago

People often define risk as an increase in volatility and to the downside. Which is not the way I define risk. Using my standard position size of $350-$500 per trade my historical average loss is $100 and my average win is $250.00 This means my system generates 250% returns on risk. I know my setup which is a simple breakout/ breakdown strategy inside-out. I have the disciple to cut my losers quickly and deploy that capital into new setups off my watchlist.

Most traders do not respect the leverage that options possess and end up blowing up their accounts. There is a reason only 5% of traders consistently make money in the mkt no matter if it is going up, down, or sideways. Only 5% have a defined statistical edge and that makes what I do like being the casino. This is a zero sum game, where 90% consistently give away their money to that 5% group. Also anytime there is a great chance at making vast sums of money, the Powers That Be make it nearly impossible to take advantage of this situation by instituting tons of hurdles and roadblocks. Why is it that any Joe can open a brokerage account and start firing off trades within minutes? It is because they know only a small minority of investors will actually walk out of the casino with more than they walked in with. The rest are just gamblers! And I am grateful for their kind donations into my account

Here are two open trades I have on SLV. Notice the new trade has an 80% return in just a few days based on risk of 100.00 and the other is nearly up 5x. I am trading options using only $12,500 and each month in 2019 I am averaging anywhere from 20%-80% account growth. I am slowly increasing the size of the account so that eventually I will be trading with 100K.
IMG_2390 (resized).PNGIMG_2390 (resized).PNGIMG_2391 (resized).PNGIMG_2391 (resized).PNG

#1237 4 years ago

My basic dislike of options lies in the fact that they're zero sum and have no "real" value. That's just my view of them. I won't dispute that the leveraged nature of them creates a lot of potential gains, but I suspect a lot of people that play with them are setting themselves up for a fall.
They do have a place and use, though. No question about that.

If I buy the right to buy an ETF selling at 292 and I can now buy for 200 how does this have no value

#1238 4 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

If I buy the right to buy an ETF selling at 292 and I can now buy for 200 how does this have no value

Because the derivatives contracts are zero sum, there is no intrinsic value that increases. Your loss is exactly offset by somebody else's gain, and vice versa.

This is not the same as a holding that is underpinned by an asset that can have an intrinsic increase in value. If I sell a stock for a gain, it's not offset by an equal loss to the buyer.

#1239 4 years ago
Quoted from LITZ:

People often define risk as an increase in volatility and to the downside. Which is not the way I define risk. Using my standard position size of $350-$500 per trade my historical average loss is $100 and my average win is $250.00 This means my system generates 250% returns on risk. I know my setup which is a simple breakout/ breakdown strategy inside-out. I have the disciple to cut my losers quickly and deploy that capital into new setups off my watchlist.
Most traders do not respect the leverage that options possess and end up blowing up their accounts. There is a reason only 5% of traders consistently make money in the mkt no matter if it is going up, down, or sideways. Only 5% have a defined statistical edge and that makes what I do like being the casino. This is a zero sum game, where 90% consistently give away their money to that 5% group. Also anytime there is a great chance at making vast sums of money, the Powers That Be make it nearly impossible to take advantage of this situation by instituting tons of hurdles and roadblocks. Why is it that any Joe can open a brokerage account and start firing off trades within minutes? It is because they know only a small minority of investors will actually walk out of the casino with more than they walked in with. The rest are just gamblers! And I am grateful for their kind donations into my account
Here are two open trades I have on SLV. Notice the new trade has an 80% return in just a few days based on risk of 100.00 and the other is nearly up 5x. I am trading options using only $12,500 and each month in 2019 I am averaging anywhere from 20%-80% account growth. I am slowly increasing the size of the account so that eventually I will be trading with 100K.
[quoted image][quoted image]

I certainly wish you success, but I heard this argument 20 years ago as well.

I post about this only because I have a little buy and hold investing experience and can speak to the success of that strategy over decades.

Every sure fire strategy is a winner until the next unexpected black swan. To quote WOPR from the movie Wargames, the only winning move is not to play.

Buy and Hold is boring and you simply ride the market, but over long time horizons it simply works.

#1240 4 years ago

I'm sticking with 5 to 8% dividend utilities stocks for the most part. It's boring but seemed to work for my dad over all.

#1241 4 years ago

Because the derivatives contracts are zero sum, there is no intrinsic value that increases. Your loss is exactly offset by somebody else's gain, and vice versa.
This is not the same as a holding that is underpinned by an asset that can have an intrinsic increase in value. If I sell a stock for a gain, it's not offset by an equal loss to the buyer.

You act as if option are bit coin I am not sure you even understand them. I bought cvs $37.50 jan 2021 for $16.83 the stock was trading around $52.50 the stock now trades at $61. That $61 gives the option a value of $23.50 that is the spread between 37.50 and $61

#1242 4 years ago
Quoted from wtatumjr:

I'm sticking with 5 to 8% dividend utilities stocks for the most part. It's boring but seemed to work for my dad over all.

you need to add some technology as well as MA plus V for the groth of online shopping

#1243 4 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

You act as if option are bit coin I am not sure you even understand them. I bought cvs $37.50 jan 2021 for $16.83 the stock was trading around $52.50 the stock now trades at $61. That $61 gives the option a value of $23.50 that is the spread between 37.50 and $61

You're correct, I don't understand them. Please, carry on.

#1244 4 years ago

What site do u trade options on ?
What site gives the the price of the options ?
Thanks guys

#1246 4 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

Quoted from JY64:

you need to add some technology as well as MA plus V for the groth of online shopping

Oddly enough my old roommate from pharmacy school is now CEO of CVS ( they have more than one CEO).
I do have some "mad money" I put into Barrick Gold. Is has done very well so far.

#1247 4 years ago

I certainly wish you success, but I heard this argument 20 years ago as well.
I post about this only because I have a little buy and hold investing experience and can speak to the success of that strategy over decades.
Every sure fire strategy is a winner until the next unexpected black swan. To quote WOPR from the movie Wargames, the only winning move is not to play.
Buy and Hold is boring and you simply ride the market, but over long time horizons it simply works.

I believe everyone should watch the documentary Money as Debt. You will realize that there are no financial black swans since Central Banks are the ones pulling all the strings!

This is also a must watch PBS documentary called Trader. It was filmed in 1986 and Paul Tudor Jones did his best to buy up all the known VHS copies.
I have watched this PBS film at least a dozen times over the past few years. PTJ will get these copies on YouTube pulled, but so far this link has been working.

I have a liquidity indicator that goes back seventy years to 1950 and it has predicted all the bull and bear mkts 4-6 months ahead of time with zero false signals! If you watch MSM or follow Trump Tweets you would think the world was going to end any day now. In fact my indicator is showing me clear skies ahead.

I disagree with your War Games analogy in that the only winning play is not to play at all.

I have exposure to all six financial asset classes: Cash/ currencies trade against each other and also flow in and out of Stocks, Bonds, Real Estate, Commodities (including precious metals) and Derivatives(options).

Financial success is only one of the four pillars to a rich and meaningful life. Besides Money, there is Time, Health and Social Capital. I decided a long time ago I was going to be one of those few individuals who has all four of these en mass.

I started the retirement process and next year I will being collecting a military pension. I am a Commissioned Officer who has been detailed to the US Public Health Service/ Indian Health Service since 1999. I am going to become the first dentist in my graduating class to retire. I was told I would never make any money choosing this career path and that only way to riches was via private practice. Well, this COLA adjusted military pension with a survivor benefit that is also COLA adjusted and pays 55% of the retirement benefit after I pass will become my 11th passive income stream. This benefit alone is worth several million if it were an annuity that was paying a 3% ROR. During the month of August I made 2x more from cash flow/ asset appreciation / account growth (passive income) than my W-2 salary! I can truly stop trading my time for money! Yippee!

The great thing about money is that if you see each penny as a minion then you can get them to work for you 24/7 to generate even more wealth for you.. while you are sleeping! My classmates on the other hand are stuck on the treadmill as debt slaves and there is no end in sight for them! And I was supposed to be the one who would become a pauper for serving a population who has tremendous needs and in turn has shown me an abundance of gratitude for the care I have delivered over two decades. Now that's the real Win-Win in my book!

#1248 4 years ago
Quoted from wtatumjr:

Oddly enough my old roommate from pharmacy school is now CEO of CVS ( they have more than one CEO).
I do have some "mad money" I put into Barrick Gold. Is has done very well so far.

Hold the gold till shortly after we see an official recession 2 1/4s of negative GDP gold goes up as the fed cuts rates and the dollar goes down once the fed is done cutting turn gold into cash

#1249 4 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

Hold the gold till shortly after we see an official recession 2 1/4s of negative GDP gold goes up as the fed cuts rates and the dollar goes down once the fed is done cutting turn gold into cash

I think we see rate cuts which will cause the USD to tank vs other currencies and commodity bull mkt will begin with precious metals and miners leading the pack while the overall stock mkt goes higher as well at the same time. My signal to exit is to start closing positions in the metals once the Au:Ag ratio crosses 40. It would be nice if this dropped to 30 or < )

#1250 4 years ago

Just in case ppl are wondering what sector is leading the pack YTD. The top 4 are made of metal!

Screenshot_2019-09-03 Futures Performance (resized).pngScreenshot_2019-09-03 Futures Performance (resized).png
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus
Toys/Add-ons
$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply
Decals
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy
Protection
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
Boards
PinSound
Boards
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
There are 20,831 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 417.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stock-market-traders/page/25 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.