IMG_7948 (resized).jpeg
kuiil-have-spoken.gif
200w.gif
gold24 (resized).jpg
counting_coins_02.gif
IMG_1659 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 20,994 posts in this topic. You are on page 246 of 420.
#12251 2 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

forgot to add prine to the list
I have been watching a bunch of hbo max also

Have you watched Batman V Superman, Ultimate Edition and Zack Snyder cut Justice League? It is amazing how much better those movies are than the original theatrical releases.

Also, Godzilla vs. Kong sucks.

All that said, I still own a fair amount of NFLX, which I'm currently down on. I bought it on Motley Fool rec.

#12252 2 years ago

Nice run on UTZ today hitting all time highs
been recommending this for a while now

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#12253 2 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

Thinking about putting some last minute $$ down on BDRY - holding it's own today and has jumped above the 20 day MA. May be a bit late, but this won't be a long term hold more than likely. Wish me luck.

Up 10.5% on this in 2 days - going to have to watch it close and start punching if momentum fades. Will probably help me get out of the crappy decision to get into the ARK funds

Also, PSLV just crossed the 50 day MA with a strong MACD, may consider picking up a position.

#12254 2 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

Two choices here, ride it out and try to get close to even or sell it and use the money elsewhere. I am training myself to dump the losers instead of hanging on. It does help if you sell a winner at the same time to offset some or all of the loss. I am getting better at using a 7% stop loss to avoid getting in that situation in the future. When I sold some uranium at a good profit I dumped my losing miner at the same time. Never had second guessed that decision and I never check the price since I dumped it.

This is close to my approach, I'm still individually deciding when to cut my losses and move on, I should probably set up automated stop loss sales. But with stocks like CCIV at some point I decided to cut my losses and put the money into another stock on the upswing, rather than wait around to recover my losses on it. I recovered my losses in another stock

#12255 2 years ago

dogecoin is a joke - unlimited supply, same as printing money in your garage
lot of people are going to get hurt on that one

Tell that to my coworker who banked 1.2 Million in profits. Sometimes it’s Ok to take a stab and see what happens. I don’t see doge coin as a long term investment. Nobody should.

#12256 2 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Tell that to my coworker who banked 1.2 Million in profits. Sometimes it’s Ok to take a stab and see what happens. I don’t see doge coin as a long term investment. Nobody should

never said people are not making money on it, plenty of people have and will
but when it tanks - a lot of people that can't afford it are going to be left with empty pockets

if everybody had an unlimited USD printing press in their garage, what would happen to the value of a buck?

#12257 2 years ago

never said people are not making money on it, plenty of people have and will
but when it tanks - a lot of people that can't afford it are going to be left with empty pockets
if everybody had an unlimited USD printing press in their garage, what would happen to the value of a buck?

I totally agree

#12258 2 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

This is close to my approach, I'm still individually deciding when to cut my losses and move on, I should probably set up automated stop loss sales. But with stocks like CCIV at some point I decided to cut my losses and put the money into another stock on the upswing, rather than wait around to recover my losses on it. I recovered my losses in another stock

It is a PITA with some stuff - Etrade won't let me do a trailing stop on some ETFs so I have to keep updating the stop $ amount, but it forces me to stick to my rules.

#12259 2 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

Two choices here, ride it out and try to get close to even or sell it and use the money elsewhere. I am training myself to dump the losers instead of hanging on.

I have a confession to make.... I've never sold a stock at a loss. Yes, I do have a small collection of "losers" in my portfolio. Luckily most of those pay decent dividends, so the likelihood they'll break even is a little better. There are a couple where I really should have cut my losses. But patience has generally paid off well for me. My biggest mistakes have been selling stocks before I should have... cutting them loose once they break even or made me a few percent, only to see them skyrocket just after that (yes, I'm talking about you AMD!).

#12260 2 years ago

Did any of you follow me on UIPath? Having a very nice opening trade.

#12261 2 years ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

I have a confession to make.... I've never sold a stock at a loss. Yes, I do have a small collection of "losers" in my portfolio. Luckily most of those pay decent dividends, so the likelihood they'll break even is a little better. There are a couple where I really should have cut my losses. But patience has generally paid off well for me. My biggest mistakes have been selling stocks before I should have... cutting them loose once they break even or made me a few percent, only to see them skyrocket just after that (yes, I'm talking about you AMD!).

That's ego.....in investing or trading, you're better off taking the feelings out of it. Most of my money is in indexes and long term keepers, but I do have a trading fund (about 25%), every month I make a trade or two where I see then stock move against me, so I take a small loss and move on and try to get into a better trade.

PS: has anyone seen how much Knightscope has been advertising on CNBC? This company smells like a scam....they've been teasing that they'll go public for the last 5 yrs and still nothing, meanwhile they've been getting the retail investor to buy their crummy stock with those commercials. I looked into it, they're basically a Nest security camera on a Rumba. Brilliant scam

#12262 2 years ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

I have a confession to make.... I've never sold a stock at a loss. Yes, I do have a small collectionas of "losers" in my portfolio. Luckily most of those pay decent dividends, so the likelihood they'll break even is a little better. There are a couple where I really should have cut my losses. But patience has generally paid off well for me. My biggest mistakes have been selling stocks before I should have... cutting them loose once they break even or made me a few percent, only to see them skyrocket just after that (yes, I'm talking about you AMD!).

I used to think this way also and held stocks that were losing and sometimes they came back and sometimes they headed towards bankruptcy and my shares dissolving. Now I will occasionally sell a stock for a loss if I feel it is not going up anytime soon and I can use it to offset a gain on another stock I already sold. Then a little over a month after I sell the loser, to avoid wash sale rules, I will consider buying it back if I feel it has a decent chance of coming back over time.
When I sold CHK for a loss a few years before it went bankrupt I saw the writing on the wall and did not buy it back because I felt it was doomed.

#12263 2 years ago

It looks like the shares to the general public opened around $65/share. Don't we normally hear don't buy on the open and wait a week for it to settle? Curious what your buy in was at per share if your dropped 60k in it?

Quoted from DBLM:

Did any of you follow me on UIPath? Having a very nice opening trade.

#12264 2 years ago

Another "problem" that I'll admit to is that I tend to sell ALL of a stock when I do decide to sell. Not always the wisest choice.

#12265 2 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

It is a PITA with some stuff - Etrade won't let me do a trailing stop on some ETFs so I have to keep updating the stop $ amount, but it forces me to stick to my rules.

I have always been told to never enter a stop with your broker
There are websites that can keep track of stops for you

https://www.jeffclarktrader.com/market-minute/why-your-broker-should-never-see-your-stop-loss/

https://stansberryresearch.com/investor-resources/education-center/chapter-6/the-trailing-stop-strategy
We do not recommend placing stop orders at all. The dirty NYSE traders will pile up all the stop orders and then execute them all at a horrible price. Interestingly, stocks often close higher the very same day, after the NYSE traders make a mint executing stop orders. DON'T put a stop order in the market.

#12266 2 years ago
Quoted from DadofTwins:

It looks like the shares to the general public opened around $65/share. Don't we normally hear don't buy on the open and wait a week for it to settle? Curious what your buy in was at per share if your dropped 60k in it?

$65.50

#12267 2 years ago

Holy shit, Goldman just put an $83 price target on Apple! that's over a 33% to the down side? WTF? One hell of a bear call. If this holds water this is bad news for a lot of the tech sector.
Dudes, time to trim exposure to the NASDAQ, sucks I just bought another 45k of FB!

#12268 2 years ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

How long have you been investing?

#12269 2 years ago

https://www.jeffclarktrader.com/market-minute/why-your-broker-should-never-see-your-stop-loss/
https://stansberryresearch.com/investor-resources/education-center/chapter-6/the-trailing-stop-strategy
We do not recommend placing stop orders at all. The dirty NYSE traders will pile up all the stop orders and then execute them all at a horrible price. Interestingly, stocks often close higher the very same day, after the NYSE traders make a mint executing stop orders. DON'T put a stop order in the market.

Yep Stop orders are a ripoff! Better to place a mental stop loss or set up an alert on your platform instead. This is especially true with options.

#12270 2 years ago

How long have you been investing?

Roughly 25 years. But much more actively the last 10 or so.

#12271 2 years ago

Thanks for being transparent. Is this another company in the field that you are in? Great long term prospects?

#12272 2 years ago
Quoted from DadofTwins:

Quoted from DadofTwins:

Thanks for being transparent. Is this another company in the field that you are in? Great long term prospects?

This is in an adjacent space so even though I am not directly in this arena, I get it. I personally think this company has a lot of upside because it automates a lot of standardized, low value tasks in an office environment. It has buzzwords like AI and ML, as well as robotics, so it will appeal to investors that don't know what Robot Process Automation means. Do your own diligence, but this is one that I believe in.

#12273 2 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Throwing out a name for you: UWMC. I am a proud bag holder of this stock, which is the leader in the wholesale mortgage business. They played hardball with RKT here recently and won. Sadly, I bought some around 12.25 and then averaged down in the 8's, and we have dropped below that. Just got an analyst bump today at Barclay's (link below) and interest rates have dropped to their lowest levels in 2 months. Pays a decent dividend. Highly speculative, and I am down a good portion, but may interest some of you.
https://seekingalpha.com/news/3683865-uwm-holdings-stock-snags-overweight-rating-at-barclay-on-market-share-prospects

i am in on united mortgage - but if you sell the calls monthly and get the dividend it's hard to be losing on this stock - sell the covered calls month to month at a few dollars higher then current price. it ads up - thnaks ed

#12274 2 years ago

Interesting - going to cancel the stops now. I manually calculate them in a spreadsheet anyway.

Got lucky today. Hopefully get to string a few more of these days together.

stock update (resized).jpgstock update (resized).jpg
#12275 2 years ago

This is a good tip....

#12276 2 years ago
Quoted from edcianci:

i am in on united mortgage - but if you sell the calls monthly and get the dividend it's hard to be losing on this stock - sell the covered calls month to month at a few dollars higher then current price. it ads up - thnaks ed

Thats what I've been doing...ive been in United since February.

#12277 2 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Holy shit, Goldman just put an $83 price target on Apple! that's over a 33% to the down side? WTF? One hell of a bear call. If this holds water this is bad news for a lot of the tech sector.
Dudes, time to trim exposure to the NASDAQ, sucks I just bought another 45k of FB!

For some reason, Rod Hall of Goldman really doesn't seem to like Apple. He has had sell ratings on Apple a number of times over the past few years. Tipranks has him rated at 50% overall, with an average return of 2.8% per call. With numbers like that he isn't even as accurate as a weatherman. His call is the lowest of all analyst calls, average call is at $153 at the moment. Up to you of course, but you might want to follow anyone else besides GS when it comes to Apple.

#12278 2 years ago

CCIV!

I've been wanting to say that for a long time... Still way down, but been a good week so far.

#12279 2 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

CCIV!
I've been wanting to say that for a long time... Still way down, but been a good week so far.

I bought some last week at 22 and can't wait to get out. I didn't realize the true market cap after the merger is like 35 billion. Most sites are just showing the market cap of CCIV which is barely 5 billion. I'd buy Lucid for 5 billion, but hate it at 35.

#12280 2 years ago
Quoted from BrianBannon:

For some reason, Rod Hall of Goldman really doesn't seem to like Apple. He has had sell ratings on Apple a number of times over the past few years. Tipranks has him rated at 50% overall, with an average return of 2.8% per call. With numbers like that he isn't even as accurate as a weatherman. His call is the lowest of all analyst calls, average call is at $153 at the moment. Up to you of course, but you might want to follow anyone else besides GS when it comes to Apple.

Ha, yeah, his Apple calls are off the chart. Lol. I don't get it. Thanks for that.

#12281 2 years ago

The bulls and the bears are duking it out today...I hope the bulls make a come back like yesterday. I don't see a lot of conviction out there.

#12282 2 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Thats what I've been doing...ive been in United since February.

I be careful with UWMC as the call premiums are usually an indication of underlying risk. The stock has come down a lot recently so you make a good return on the dividends and call premiums but lose on the share value. P/E -65 is likely dividends could get cut.

#12283 2 years ago

Up a quick 14% on UIPath. Anybody follow me on this? Been touting this one for months as one to watch.

#12284 2 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Up a quick 14% on UIPath. Anybody follow me on this? Been touting this one for months as one to watch.

I was going to yesterday, but got distracted and missed the opportunity. I'm wondering if with the up today I should wait and see, yes it could go higher but sometimes after swings like this it'll come down before going up again. And yes, I know you can't time the market but still...

#12285 2 years ago

I am starting to really sour on oil stocks. Too many anti oil initiatives sparking up in both the us and canada. I only have a very tiny position where it used to a really large percentage of my portfolio.

Went back into actc today. Seems like a ev manufacturer with a lot of promise. Getting government contracts.

#12286 2 years ago
Quoted from stubborngamer:

I am starting to really sour on oil stocks. Too many anti oil initiatives sparking up in both the us and canada. I only have a very tiny position where it used to a really large percentage of my portfolio.
Went back into actc today. Seems like a ev manufacturer with a lot of promise. Getting government contracts.

You can also play on oil the commodity with an etf like USL. Not saying it is a good play right now, but just another way to get in.

#12287 2 years ago

Biden announced he might tax the wealthy as high as 43.4%.

If anyone needed more proof Biden will be bad for the stock market.

#12288 2 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

You can also play on oil the commodity with an etf like USL. Not saying it is a good play right now, but just another way to get in.

If I am going to invest in oil it would be for the dividend payment. There's still value there.

#12289 2 years ago

If I am going to invest in oil it would be for the dividend payment. There's still value there.

Thanks, Biden! /s

#12290 2 years ago

Well, as someone who will take the brunt of such tax hikes, I have to say, it isn't going to kill the market. Taxes have been getting cut for high bracket people for decades so it's high time they hiked them on the wealthy a bit....just for comparison look up cap gains rates during the Eisenhower presidency and you'll see they been getting a free ride for a long time.

PS: Nothing is set in stone....look at the run for minimum wage hike that never happened, so maybe this number is pie in the sky number and it will get negotiated down before it can pass the senate.

#12291 2 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Well, as someone who will take the brunt of such tax hikes, I have to say, it isn't going to kill the market. Taxes have been getting cut for high bracket people for decades so it's high time they hiked them on the wealthy a bit....just for comparison look up cap gains rates during the Eisenhower presidency and you'll see they been getting a free ride for a long time.
PS: Nothing is set in stone....look at the run for minimum wage hike that never happened, so maybe this number is pie in the sky number and it will get negotiated down before it can pass the senate.

I agree that I think this is a negotiating tactic, which fits his profile. Dont like it though

#12292 2 years ago

Also let me just say that my ironclad proposal for all proceeds of cap gains to get funneled directly to my pin fund account is as likely to become reality as the recent pres. proposal.

I will bet a voucher good for one game on a gum free World Cup Soccer that it ain’t happening as proposed.

#12293 2 years ago

Announced in under 100 days........

#12294 2 years ago

The Tesla and Amazon millionaires are thrilled to pieces....

#12295 2 years ago

you mean, will be " cut to pieces"

#12296 2 years ago

if I was making a million+ a year in my account, pretty sure I could afford a good tax professional.

Like iceman44

Just saying.

#12297 2 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Market responded pretty quickly. 300 point drop in minutes in the DOW.

Comparing the 50s stock market to now is not really going to reveal much. The 50s was almost exclusively institutional investors. A scant 4% of americans were invested in stocks. The market today is wildly different with a large number of retail investors, hedge funds, foreign investors, etc. The proposed cap gains tax will have far more reaching implications now than then.

#12298 2 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

The Tesla and Amazon millionaires are thrilled to pieces....

They are, most of them are vocal supporters of progressive taxation. I'm friends with quite a few Amazon developers (as well as Microsoft, Valve and other programmers and game developers) and they are very progressive millionaires.

#12299 2 years ago

I doubt the market will crash for this sole reason, not sayimg that, but I do expect a slow bleed out for many reasons. I would rather a quick dump so we can just get to the climbing. It's going to be annoying. I have never shorted stocks, I should probably start(well I shoulda started awhile ago really).

#12300 2 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Market responded pretty quickly. 300 point drop in minutes in the DOW.
Comparing the 50s stock market to now is not really going to reveal much. The 50s was almost exclusively institutional investors. A scant 4% of americans were invested in stocks. The market today is wildly different with a large number of retail investors, hedge funds, foreign investors, etc. The proposed cap gains tax will have far more reaching implications now than then.

300 points is nothing, 3000 is not even note worthy, the market is up 55% in the last 12 months. I don't see a stampede here
We've been hearing the demise of the USA under Dems for years, yet we're still here...and getting richer every year. Remember Obama care? Death panels, they will kill grandma!...Minimum wage increase will close 50% of small businesses? None of it ever came true....the same bs was said during the 50's about social security. Capital gains taxes are at 15%, you subtract costs you get to 13%....how many of you working stiffs pay 13% tax rate from your work income? Answer: None.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 18.95
$ 12.95
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 20,994 posts in this topic. You are on page 246 of 420.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stock-market-traders/page/246?hl=tramd and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.