Image 4-6-24 at 11.42?AM (resized).jpeg
IMG_7948 (resized).jpeg
kuiil-have-spoken.gif
200w.gif
gold24 (resized).jpg
counting_coins_02.gif
IMG_1659 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 21,015 posts in this topic. You are on page 22 of 421.
#1051 5 years ago

AMZN and Google both had a bit of bad earnings reports but I believe the market is overreacting.

Surprise that ANZN on track for $10B ad revenue for the year.

#1052 5 years ago

amzn missed by 500 m and the total was 56+ billion.. I dont see how thats bad enough for this sell off

#1053 5 years ago
Quoted from topkat:

amzn missed by 500 m and the total was 56+ billion.. I dont see how thats bad enough for this sell off

Its was priced for perfection

#1054 5 years ago
Quoted from topkat:

Their earnings blew away estimates.

Plus, it sold off prior to earnings.

#1055 5 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Its was priced for perfection

I think people were looking for any excuse to sell. To me the report was fairly positive.

Look at AAPL no news at all and it’s selling off.

#1056 5 years ago

I rolled my amazon puts yesterday. They were trading dollar for dollar with the stock, which means I would be getting put the stock before the expiration date.

I bought back my 5Nov 16th Amazon 1,820 puts at $229.10 (5 puts). I originally brought in around $55 for them.

I sold 5 Amazon Jan 18th 1,800 puts for $228.85.

Why I did this:

1 - I was going to get put the stock.

2 - I took a risk and lost...cant win them all.

3 - I think the stock will be back over $1,800 by January, to which I will still make a profit on my original $55 transaction.

4 - I just took a huge tax loss to lower my liability for 2018. I know pushed the income to 2019.

#1057 5 years ago

I was a bit more conservative with my November AMZN puts 2x $1600 2x $1500 and so on lower down. Course I was only making $1-2K trade at those prices.

Was a bit hairy but seems like the puts may be safe.

I’m looking for AAPL earnings as I have a bunch of puts low out of the money puts expire on 11/16.

I got squashed on IBM puts was fored to buy after the stock cratered but made that up on my VZ puts earlier in the year.

#1058 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I was a bit more conservative with my November AMZN puts 2x $1600 2x $1500 and so on lower down. Course I was only making $1-2K trade at those prices.
Was a bit hairy but seems like the puts may be safe.
I’m looking for AAPL earnings as I have a bunch of puts low out of the money puts expire on 11/16.
I got squashed on IBM puts was fored to buy after the stock cratered but made that up on my VZ puts earlier in the year.

I was dying to sell Amazon $1,400 puts a couple days ago when the stock broke under $1,500....having 5 of those 1,820 puts outstanding just handcuffed me.

#1059 5 years ago

I bought back my nov 2 1820 put last week the day of earnings. I feared it would it drop after earnings and I didnt want more of the stock. Took a hit but not what I would have if I'd held

#1060 5 years ago

but I cant imagine it wont be hovering 1800 in jan..

#1061 5 years ago

as nice as amzn premiums are, its a big nut when things go south and you get put the stock..

#1062 5 years ago

You all sure seem optimistic on the market. I could see Amazon going to close to 1000/share in 2019 just as easy as 2000/share. A recession will eventually drag amazon down just like everything else. Then it will be time to buy.

#1063 5 years ago

I am optimistic on amzn. They did 56. billion last quarter, which was more than before. They also crushed their earnings..
Yes there could be a recession, but amzn makes so much of its money from storage by large companies, I cant see that changing regardless.
but sure its gamble

#1064 5 years ago
Quoted from topkat:

I am optimistic on amzn. They did 56. billion last quarter, which was more than before. They also crushed their earnings..
Yes there could be a recession, but amzn makes so much of its money from storage by large companies, I cant see that changing regardless.
but sure its gamble

I am optimistic for both amazon and apple, but the recession would drag them down heavily short term. Long term, plus five years, I believe they both are winners. I will be buying a lot of both after the market tanks about 35%.

#1065 5 years ago

I've just recently started trading stocks, with the intention of trading those stocks (ideally profits) for the next good machine.. Have been following NIO and put a bit there on the recent downswings, it is fairly speculative and so far I have guessed OK on when to buy in. What I have read and seen, is that they are far ahead of TSLA in China. And accelerating their manufacturing more so than their previous expectations. They may soon also deliver comparable cars in the US at a cost lower than TSLA, but even so China is a far larger market, and they appear ahead of TSLA there.. Anyways, that is my attempt to pump that one here

#1066 5 years ago

I peg the chances of a recession at 0%.

2019 GDP: 1st quarter 3.2% 2nd quarter 4.2% 3rd quarter 3.5%

The tax cut has benefited employees who get a W-2. It won't benefit business taxes until 2019, when they go to file their returns. This goes for small business people like myself.

Wages on the low end have been rising nicely this year, without causing a spike in inflation. Thus, giving lower end workers more buying power.

Trade deals are being re-worked, thus giving a boost to all consumers and businesses.

There are more job openings than people looking for them.

Interest rates have risen, however, they are still low.

#1067 5 years ago

I think trade deals with China/Mexico would only benefit the USA in spite of what the media wants to tell it as. Also I think the new laws allow companies to bring overseas profits back to the US without super high taxes will help. Many companies make half their profits overseas.

Also Amazon makes probably half their profits from cloud solutions which a lot of people don't know they are the number one cloud provider and this is a growing source of profits and big profits on advertising as well, so they have multiple earnings streams. I really don't think AMZN can go up forever but they will become a mature company at some point like AAPL and MSFT (I assume) and give dividends at some point in time.

#1068 5 years ago

same story as AMZN, AAPL beat earnings but lowered forecast and is getting pummeled in after hours. I'll probably get a few hundred shared put to me but I'm not too worried long term with AAPL healthy PE. Also it's less painful at the stock price 200(ish) buying several hundred than was with AMZN which is 8x the share price.

#1069 5 years ago

THAts my issue. Apple
Easy to swallow the put. Amzn puts have to move
$ around

#1070 5 years ago
Quoted from topkat:

THAts my issue. Apple
Easy to swallow the put. Amzn puts have to move
$ around

Agreed if AMZN spit 10 to 1 they’d be able to get in the DOW and easier to sell puts and calls. Not that that’s important to me but come on Walgreens instead of AMZN. It’s solely because DOW is price weighted not market weighted.

There was a time I could sell mini puts which was 10 shares on Etrade for Goog and AMZN but seems to have gone away.

#1071 5 years ago

i use etrade.. mini puts? where was that a choice
its too bad amzn took such a hit lately..I was ready to use some put money for another pin.

#1072 5 years ago
Quoted from topkat:

i use etrade.. mini puts? where was that a choice
its too bad amzn took such a hit lately..I was ready to use some put money for another pin.

They had 10 share mini options but it went away I think.

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/active-trading/031314/mini-options-useful-tool-trading-highpriced-securities.asp

#1073 5 years ago

Thanks for the post. Wow. Too bad I missed out on that. Wonder what caused them to stop having..

#1074 5 years ago
Quoted from topkat:

Thanks for the post. Wow. Too bad I missed out on that. Wonder what caused them to stop having..

Maybe little fish like us aren't enough to move the needle. I suspect institutional investors and such may do several full contracts even on the big options like AMZN and GOOG etc..

iirc this was before AAPL split (7 : 1 )

anyway it would be easier to sell puts close to the money on 10 shares of AMZN than on 100 (when you'd need to come up with $180K for one contract), same for me when I wanted to sell covered call in GOOG but I didn't want to risk my entire portion of the stock on 1 trade.

If only stocks would have common sense splits like google split 2 : 1 wasn't a whole lot of help in that regard would have been nicer to split 10 : 1 or even one share of GOOGL plus 5 shares of GOOG if they wanted to keep the voting privileges of the greater shares.

3 weeks later
#1075 5 years ago

fingers crossed amazon cyber monday results were enough to get us out of the downward spin

#1076 5 years ago
Quoted from topkat:

fingers crossed amazon cyber monday results were enough to get us out of the downward spin

I mean, obviously take it with a grain of salt, but my friend works at one of the amazon warehouses said sales were not what they expected this year.

#1077 5 years ago
Quoted from topkat:

Or maybe the Fed statement about neutral rates had something to do with it...

#1078 5 years ago
Quoted from jester523:

I mean, obviously take it with a grain of salt, but my friend works at one of the amazon warehouses said sales were not what they expected this year.

For me as an average consumer and everyday Amazon shopper my perception was that their Black Friday/ Cyber Monday deals were pretty blah. I personally wasn’t enticed to buy anything they were offering.

3 weeks later
#1079 5 years ago

Funny to see how quiet this thread has gotten now that the market has tanked my best investments last few months selling pets at 36 selling sq 86 selling netflix 342

#1080 5 years ago

taking a beating recently but not deviating from the robot investing buy regularly and hold forever strategy.

#1081 5 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

taking a beating recently but not deviating from the robot investing buy regularly and hold forever strategy.

Yep,

Dollar cost averaging works wonders over time. I won't be touching my Roths or 401k for atleast 35 years, so up, down, sideways... it's all gravy at this point in time. I'm pretty sure my growth stock mutual funds will be worth more than I paid for them when it's time to sell. Pretty darn sure the stock market will be up over where it is now in 2050 when I need it.

The kids' 529s won't be touched for another 10 years, and I'm pretty sure the market will be back up by then too... I'd bet my children's future on it.

#1082 5 years ago

its been terrible...and really not a solid reason for some. amazon is still gonna post huge numbers with their storage, that hasnt changed.
all the fear and uncertainty I guess is continuing on longer than I thought it would.

#1083 5 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Yep,
Dollar cost averaging works wonders over time. I won't be touching my Roths or 401k for atleast 35 years, so up, down, sideways... it's all gravy at this point in time. I'm pretty sure my growth stock mutual funds will be worth more than I paid for them when it's time to sell. Pretty darn sure the stock market will be up over where it is now in 2050 when I need it.
The kids' 529s won't be touched for another 10 years, and I'm pretty sure the market will be back up by then too... I'd bet my children's future on it.

It's funny, but I get semi-automated reports when I sign into my 401k account. My favorite is always looking at the stop light indicator where it says "You are retiring in 32 years, your allocations might be too aggressive."

#1084 5 years ago

Correction in the market is normal imo, I think it’s over reaction to bad news but that’s the way it usually is.

It’d be worse if the feds were scared to raise rates or had to lower rates. They probably need to bring the interest rates closer to normal. We don’t love it but it’s probably the right thing to do.

Also China trade deal needs to be done to be at least a little fairer to US.

#1085 5 years ago

I know very little about stocks but I would imagine now is a decent time to buy, right?

#1086 5 years ago

hard recession 2019, different than 2008 but still bad IMO

#1087 5 years ago

so buy sometime in 2019?

#1088 5 years ago

yep, wait. property is overvalued too. wait on that too.

#1089 5 years ago

Fed started tough talk on october 2nd. market has tanked since.

#1090 5 years ago
Quoted from TZBen:

Fed started tough talk on october 2nd. market has tanked since.

The Fed has been rasing rates for two yr now they stoped qe three yr back now trying to unwind qe

#1091 5 years ago

Career gold geo here and besides lovin pins and researching that first pin buy, I have traded within the gold sector for many years. FWIW and for anyone interested, it's boiled down to this for me:

- I only trade what I know, helps with making sense of press releases.
- I stay away from the pennies/juniors, and focus only on high quality producers.
- Location in safest jurisdictions: US, Canada and Australia in production high grade assets only.
- Low AISC (all in sustaining costs) per gold ounce produced and guiding lower.
- Steady annual conversion of resources to ore reserves status and greater than amount extracted.
- Increasing dividends and low amount of shares out.
- Rising stock price in a non bubble ignored sector.

One stock stands out: KL NYSE (Kirkland Lake)

dyodd, not investment advice, good luck.

#1092 5 years ago

My whole portfolio is down 23%. Tough to watch.

#1093 5 years ago

Buy, buy, buy.

I've been waiting for opportunities like this.

#1094 5 years ago

I am getting killed like most...I am not selling, I will just keeping buying every month...

#1095 5 years ago

Up and down is normal, can’t go up continuously, just looks worse when you look at it magnified but big picture it’s not that significant. 2FF98A65-320B-4D62-A9E0-E95F2D95A84C (resized).png2FF98A65-320B-4D62-A9E0-E95F2D95A84C (resized).png

#1096 5 years ago

Anyone tell me how to buy options for
Auxly , it’s a weed stock at 70 cents
Looking to spend 10k on option on just this stock.
Looking for 3-6 months strike date
Is this possible? Who would I use to buy them ?
If u tell me I will screen shot the trade and keep u posted
Thanks traders

#1097 5 years ago

Some of the low priced stocks don’t have options I believe. Not sure what the stipulations are but I believe there are rules

#1098 5 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

Funny to see how quiet this thread has gotten now that the market has tanked my best investments last few months selling pets at 36 selling sq 86 selling netflix 342

I’ve got a 13% return on the market over the past few years even with current down turn. So what evs

#1099 5 years ago
Quoted from jackd104:

I’ve got a 13% return on the market over the past few years even with current down turn. So what evs

what the hell is evs?

#1100 5 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

what the hell is evs?

Not sure if serious, but what evs is slang for whatever

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 12.95
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

$ 18.95
There are 21,015 posts in this topic. You are on page 22 of 421.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stock-market-traders/page/22?hl=londonpinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.