kuiil-have-spoken.gif
200w.gif
gold24 (resized).jpg
counting_coins_02.gif
IMG_1659 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #5101 Roth conversion advice. Posted by iceman44 (3 years ago)

Post #19981 How To Read US Debt Clock Posted by pinnyheadhead (5 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider loneacer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

568 posts in this topic match your search for posts by loneacer. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1309 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Ok, I was just checking because some people might have all assets in one stock. There was a famous internet thread I’ll try to post it. But some guys were in on an Apple supplier and they got fabulously rich quickly and lost it all in a matter of days. Some of the posts are heartbreaking to read.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fool.com/amp/investing/general/2014/11/02/heartbreaking-lessons-from-regular-joes-who-lost-i.aspx
I love Apple stock but I’m almost too into them but almost can’t sell right now because I don’t want to pay massive tax on gains. ( my holding in Apple are not in a tax shelter account).

Good old GTAT. I bought $10k worth of that for a swing when I saw it had gone from $20ish down to $10ish. I don't remember the details, but I sold out either the same day or a day or two later for essentially no gain or loss. It was less than a week later that it dropped 90% overnight. I was stupid to buy it and lucky I didn't still own it.

3 weeks later
#1343 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I have no idea if we’ll get a correction soon but wouldn’t hate it because I like to buy stuff when it’s on sale.

If you're into dividend payers, Exxon is at a 52 week low, Chevron is close. Walgreens is near a 2 year low, with 44 years of dividend increases and buys back shares each quarter. Plus they have the potential go-private buyout hanging over them.

They aren't the elegant high flyers, but a portfolio needs a few quality dividend payers to keep it grounded.

#1347 4 years ago
Quoted from Kkuoppamaki:

Exxon and Chevron certainly has nice dividend returns, but I'm not sure I'm that hot on energy/oil right now. With that, any suggestions on solid dividend payers with potential for growth in share price?

Look up the holdings in Vanguard's Dividend Growth fund (VDIGX)

2 weeks later
#1367 4 years ago

Guy at work said his buddy just made $50k in a week on TSLA, so he's going to give it a try. Never traded a share in his life. Bought one out of the money call.

Also seeing videos popping up claiming how you can pay for your student loans day trading from your phone during class. History repeats.

#1372 4 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Ya, buy high....lol what a dumb ass. I really hope he doesnt do this.

Buy high and sell higher

#1374 4 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Do you really see tesla going up to 1k already? I expect another hard drop before were in permanent smiles times...
First time I bought TSLA: $240
Sold at $380 before Elons twitter melt down
Second buy at $280
Not selling again. Wont buy more unless under $500.

I wouldn't touch TSLA short or long. I was short a few shares the day Musk made his illegal tweet about going private. Cost me about a grand in minutes. Haven't traded it since.

#1383 4 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

It's good lesson to not try to time the market. While the initial drop you refer to was 15%, TSLA has gone up 250% since then... so you would have made back that loss many times over if you left it alone. Options are just that... trying to time the market.

You misread that. I was short TSLA at around $350. Musk lied and said the company was going private at $420 a share. The shares skyrocketed and were halted for a time. They reopened at something like $380-390. When the truth came out, the shares went back down and I would have ended up with a hefty profit, but taking his tweet at value I covered my short at a loss rather than waiting to see it jump to $420. How he didn't get punished by the SEC for that is beyond me.

#1386 4 years ago

Technically yes, but it was a slap on the wrist. He had to give up a symbolic title. He was told he had to have future tweets pre-approved (which he never has and continues to violate), and he got a token fine. He's made billions in paper gains from his tweets. It's the equivalent of insider trading in my book and should be treated the same.

#1390 4 years ago
Quoted from WonderMellon:

@trekkie1978 would you mind explaining for the uninitiated? Calls mean you are shorting right? So you shorted 1k shares at $3.20 on Jan 2 and then sold the options on Friday? $0.27 indicated you made $0.27 per share? That would mean 3k @ $0.27 = $810 profit.
Do I have that right?

That sounds right except 300 shares, not 3k. Kind of a small trade compared to most of Trekkie's posts. That's more in my range

(3.20 - 0.27) * 300 = $879 profit.

#1392 4 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I only own 300 shares of Disney. When I sold the calls, I felt the stock wasn't going to go any higher. Trying to maximize my return on the stock.

Makes sense. I'm doing the same to help with the bleeding in my MO, XOM, WBA, and KHC. Hoping the dividends plus option premiums counter the loss in share price.

1 week later
#1408 4 years ago
Quoted from Happy81724:

I don’t know a ton on the stock market but starting to learn from my brother. Early Last week he had me buy sqqq with the virus and it appears to be going up. I guess it goes up when the market is down. I’ll just have to see when to sell

Those leveraged ETFs are dangerous if you get them wrong. I played around with them 6-8 years ago and lost my shirt. Multiple times I lost $25k overnight. Still have a capital loss carryover of about $100k on my yearly taxes from them. On a positive note, I can make gains for several years to come without paying taxes on them because they'll just lower that loss carryover.

#1411 4 years ago
Quoted from Happy81724:

Gotcha, I only did 2k on it and bought at around 16 but it’s up to 17.39. He did tell me they are a gamble but I am ok with the little amount I did. He has much more into it. I’m sure I’ll sell soon.

They're short term trading vehicles. Over the long term all of them will go to 0. Go back to 2012 and SQQQ was over 6000. A lot of them are based on the options market and they lose money each month when they roll the options from one month to another. That and something that goes up 10% in a day, then down 10% in a day will end up lower in the long run. (100 + 10% = 110 - 10% = 99)

#1413 4 years ago
Quoted from Happy81724:

Ok, thanks. He did say not to keep it long. We really only had a limited amount of time with the virus impact. He thought sell around 19 or 20.

Yah they're great for fast moving markets when you're on the right side of the trade. Like today.

#1442 4 years ago
Quoted from ovfdfireman:

Within the Dow, six stocks hit new lows Tuesday and no stocks hit new highs. The new lows were shares of Pfizer Inc. (PFE), Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc. (WBA), Exxon Mobil Corp. (XOM), 3M Co. (MMM), Cisco Systems Inc. (CSCO) and Chevron Corp. (CVX). All worth at least taking a look at, why and when it is best to buy an oversold company. None of these companies are going out of business anytime soon. I am guessing this might be part of the reasoning, but curious as well trekkie1978

Unfortunately WBA and XOM are my two largest positions. I'm way overweight on WBA (1500 shares and short another 15 $50 Jan 21 puts) at around 15% of my portfolio. At least it pays a good dividend, does a buyback, is an aristocrat, and has buyout chatter from last year. I've missed most of the run-up in stocks for the last decade, but I'm about 75% cash and bonds that I can use to go shopping. Also selling puts on things I'd like to own a bit cheaper like AVGO and DIS.

#1462 4 years ago

Other than swing trades and a few dividend payers I've been mostly cash and bond funds for years. Bond funds have done quite well, but nothing compared to stocks. I've been wanting to start building up some index fund exposure, so I sold 4 SPY puts, a couple expiring tomorrow and a couple in two weeks. At the current price of 307, looks like I'll get assigned all 4 at around 314 cost basis. I'm fine with that as an initial purchase. If/when the market drops 10-15% more, I'll pick up 4 more. I'd like to end up around 1200-1500 shares of SPY and 30-40% cash/bonds for a balanced portfolio.

#1475 4 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

15-20% drops are not something that normally happens.
Was market overbought? Yep...it’s why I sold calls.
Was market overpriced? Not really. That’s why I went for Exxon and more First Solar.

That Exxon drop is painful. I have 600 averaged somewhere in the upper 50s. I don't like that they seem to be paying the dividend by increasing debt. That's a poor long-term strategy. If oil doesn't go up significantly, they'll have to cut the dividend or sell assets.

#1508 4 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

US Stock futures down around 1% right now (Sunday 8 PM):
https://www.cnbc.com/pre-markets/

They're up now, and about 3-4% higher than Friday's low. They can move fast. We'll see where they are at the open tomorrow.

#1537 4 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

There story sounds like it is from the TV show Silicon Valley.

They should have used a middle-out algorithm.

#1577 4 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I wonder how the rental car industry is doing. Flights are down so rentals through that source are down, but could people be renting cars more for long distance travel as an alternative to flying and other public transportation?

Hertz stock is down over 50% in two weeks, so I'm going to say business is not well.

#1643 4 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Thanks. Beat me to it.
Imagine if the news covered the flu, the way they cover the coronavirus...

Italy just quarantined the entire country. They don't do that for the flu.

#1666 4 years ago
Quoted from Friengineer:

Back to STOCKS please. Is big oil really dead? Is XOM toast because of their debt load?

XOM will be fine. They're trading at half what they were trading at in 2016 when oil went to like $26/barrel. They have 32 billion in cap-ex they could cut if needed. If anything, having a bunch of their competitors go out of business and reducing world output will be a huge positive. It may take a few years to play out, but with a 7-8% dividend you're getting paid to wait for it.

#1732 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Any recommended dividend stocks right now? Ford at 10%, crazy. Thanks.

Broadcom pays 5% and is something like 30% off its high
3M pays 4% and is 40% off its high
UPS pays 4.5% and is 40% off its high
XOM pays 8% and is 50% off its high
MO pays 8%
LEG pays 4.7% and is 40% off its high

All are dividend aristocrats except maybe UPS.

#1802 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I can’t see XOM cutting dividends after 37 years of raising dividends. XOM also is involved with downstream refining and gas stations as well as chemicals which aren’t that effected by low oil prices. Likely XOM will pick up on cheap small oil companies that are struggling.

They won't be cutting. Judging by their history they'll raise next quarter. Just keep collecting those 7-8% yearly checks, reinvest them if that's your thing, and you'll be happy years from now. As always, know your risk. They're about 1% of my portfolio and currently my only energy play. I do think Chevron has the better balance sheet though.

#1805 4 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

Be careful following advice on the page as this same poster recommended Exxon again today with a %35 drop since his pryer recommendation

FYI I don't recommended anything, I comment on stocks I think are potentially undervalued. I'm an income investor. I mostly buy dividend aristocrats trading at discounts to their historical yield. If those purchases get to be too much of a premium to their historical yield I'll sell and purchase something that's undervalued. Sometimes I sell puts on things I wouldn't mind owning cheaper (ie I sold XOM puts at $57 and got assigned, today I sold more XOM puts at $41). I'll also sell covered calls to generate income on positions I wouldn't mind getting out of at slightly higher levels. I have zero interest in the flavor of the week stock (such as SPCE that you mentioned a couple weeks back).

#1915 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Agreed. The blood in the streets moment has not yet arrived, IMO.

How much was it down so far this week before today? 14% or so? Multiple 2000 point down days in a week. That sure feels bloody. VIX almost hit 80. It's pretty rare to hit 40.

#1922 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Right now, everybody has just been giving back their gains.

Not everybody. I'm 6 figures into the red. I was in cash and bonds, so missed all the gains.

#1926 4 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Presidential press conference announced for 3 EST on the Corona Virus. Will the market spike or crater afterwards?

Probably announcing he's infected. Or stock markets will close for a couple weeks.

#1928 4 years ago

The fed is doing several rounds of QE buying treasuries all day long today. In the good old days those would lead to gains.

#1930 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

You were in cash and bonds and are down 6 figures? Cash is cash. Bond prices have been going up. How does that cost you 6 figures? I don't understand.

I *was* in cash and bonds waiting for a pullback. I started buying in at S&P 3200, then more at 3000, then more at 2800, then more at 2600. The losses are adding up.

#1934 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I see. Trying to pick the bottom and then started the averaging down play. Sounds like it was supposed to be a short term trade that turned into a long term investment

No, I don't do short term plays. it was a "If I'm ever going to retire on what I've accumulated, I'm going to have to get in stocks since bond funds are going to be paying 1% play". I'm trying to put together a portfolio that pays $50k in dividends a year plus hopefully also grows in principal over time. It's about half S&P index and half dividend aristocrats. I'm not done average down yet. Hopefully it stays down for a while. I can put $1-2k a week into it.

#1956 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

It's a loss. Massage it anyway you want. It is a loss. Especially if you are trading on margin. The margin clerk does not care. Trading on Margin means your equity is the first to go. Because you have an unrealized loss, the margin clerk wants some cash. Yeah, you can hold and pray the market comes back before your life is over. But if your statement is showing red ink you have a loss.

If the housing market drops and your house goes down in value 20% do you sell it because it's a loss? You still own your house the same way you own x% of a company you have shares in.

#1989 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Any sign on direction yet?

Weekend wall street is pretty much useless, but they went from -1000 Dow to about flat. Futures open in 40 minutes, that's when you'll know more.

#1996 4 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Market is going to open up big tomorrow. Who knows what it will do later in the day. I will probably sell into the news tomorrow based upon the things that I bought last week. The infection curve is going to go up by nature and we will see an uptake in methodologies to try to curb the infection. As I have said a bunch of times, this is a trading market right now, so being nimble is the best way. Good luck to all.

Futures are limit down. Most they can drop in one session.

#2030 4 years ago

When they took these measures in 2008 it didn't magically make the market return to previous highs overnight. It took like 9 months to bottom and it was still fragile for a couple years after that. The flash crash was over a year after the market bottomed. If you're a trader, maybe you can get out and try to time the market. If you're investing for retirement, do your weekly/monthly cost averaging that you would do any other time.

#2035 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

yikes, is that really their lust hurrah?
Sub 22k DJI on the futures market.

Not at all. They'll be doing QE every day or so. They buy billions of dollars in treasuries, and that money they spend has a way of finding itself into the stock market. They did it for years after the financial crisis.

#2036 4 years ago

This is what they announced last week. I think what they said today is on top of this.

coupon schedule (resized).jpgcoupon schedule (resized).jpg
#2037 4 years ago

Their final bullet will be outright stock purchases. I don’t think they have the authority to do that yet, but they’d get it as a last resort. Some countries like Japan already do it.

#2108 4 years ago

Doesn't the government end up making huge profits from the bailouts? It's not like it's free money they never get back. They made billions in the long run after the financial crisis.

#2110 4 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

Yikes, DOW 10,000???? Don’t you think that is a little pessimistic???

Why not go all-in on panic and say 5000? The experts expect a couple soft quarters, then the return to earnings growth and an estimate of $175 in earnings for the S&P in 2021. Then the question is what multiple to apply to that? They said if there's a panic premium like in 2009 that makes the multiple 12, that gives you 2100 S&P. Return to 18.5 multiple that we were at a month ago and that gets you back to 3200+.

#2136 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Boeing is down another $18.00 to $110.00.

They got down to 101 earlier. I kind of wanted to buy BA 3 months ago, before the virus. Not interested now.

#2153 4 years ago

I sold a SPY $220 put expiring Friday. If the market drops another 12 percent this week, you can blame me.

#2169 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I won't blame you. But I might pray for you

I'd be ok if it executed. It would get me another 100 shares at $216 basis. I mentioned a few weeks ago I'm trying to accumulate about 1000-1500 SPY shares. I've bought 600 so far, so the more I can average in lower the better. Once I'm done accumulating, I'm going to sell calls against them above my average price. Keep collecting premiums until the market recovers.

#2187 4 years ago
Quoted from hank35:

Question. Using Microsoft as an example. It appears shares are currently at $139.00. If I order now, before the market opens, will I get $139.00 price or the next price when market opens?
Thanks

Any decent platform will let you trade in the pre and post market as well. So you could get it at the current price ($138.xx) if you use one of those brokers.

#2253 4 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Industrial demand has fallen off a cliff? Margin calls in other investments?

Both of these. When everything is dropping and you’re over leveraged, you sell what you can, not what you want to.

I checked all the silver sites earlier thinking of buying some. All are sold out with months of delays. Silver rounds and bars are selling on eBay with huge premiums. Demand is off the charts from the physical stackers.

#2257 4 years ago
Quoted from noob-a-tron:

So if i buy on backorder will it be the price i buy it at when it comes into stock?

All the sites I checked won't even let you order now.

#2258 4 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

I read this and thought, "can't be right, silver is $12.13 an ounce which is down 30% from not too long ago".
Then I checked Gainesville Coins. All products sold out. Holy shit!

I think it was Monday morning when it crashed like $3. I went to maybe buy some and started shopping around. There was plenty still in stock then, but while I was shopping the price went back up $1/ounce. Now it's back down where it was, but sold out everywhere. On Monday the sites were saying 2-4 weeks delay in delivery. Now some are saying 16-18 weeks delivery and all the products say "notify me" when back in stock instead of letting you order.

#2260 4 years ago

Silvertowne has a few rounds in stock, but they are about $3/ounce over spot in bulk:

https://www.silvertowne.com/c-601-buffalo-replica-1-ounce-silver-rounds.aspx

I researched this a bit a couple years ago, but I can't remember who is the cheapest seller. SD Bullion is selling one ounce bars for less than $1 over spot if you buy 1500 of them, but they are sold out.

#2262 4 years ago
Quoted from noob-a-tron:

I found somewhere its $17.33 an ounce should i pull the trigger?

The problem I have with buying any, the reason I never have bought any in bulk, is usually these places charge you $2-3 dollars over spot price to buy, then if you go to sell back to them they buy them under spot. So you're already in the hole a few dollars an ounce from the second you buy them. Right now it looks like you could sell them on Ebay for about $8 or so over spot, but you have to pay selling fees and ship them to your buyer and that eats up a lot of the profit. Your best bet is probably just to buy SLV and avoid all the slippage and hassle of messing with the physical product. But owning real silver is cool to me.

#2263 4 years ago

I dodged a bullet with Vanguard's High Yield Corp Fund. I've been buying it since 2010 in my and my wife's Roth IRA, buying a little each year and always reinvesting the monthly dividends. It had crept up to about 20% of our IRAs from all that. It was a pretty consistent 5.75-6.00 a share paying around 4.5%-5.0% dividend the whole decade. Figuring the energy market was going to crash high yield bonds, I sold out both accounts two weeks ago at 5.93-5.95. Today it's 5.05.

#2265 4 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

I feel like we need a similar "blunt the curve" message for the bottom of the market.
You guys are making me nervous, but at least for now I'm sticking with my plan of upping my contributions for the next several months and maintaining current holdings. I was on a path to retire at 55 (if I want). That's still 20 years out, so I'm trying to maintain some positivity about that prospect right now.

Likewise. I've been telling co-workers I wanted to retire at the end of this year (at 43). I still have a couple side jobs I'd keep doing. Told them last week to forget I mentioned it.

#2281 4 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

My situation is very similar to yours, even with the larger house that was under-valued. I think back a few years to a co-worker who just could not wait to retire. He was really skilled with picking investments and monitored them daily. He finally retired.
3 months after he left, he was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and was dead within 6 months. Made me reprioritize my life a bit. I really wanted to get out in my mid 50's, but with this now, who knows what will happen. I'm thankful for being alive and semi enjoying my job, we'll see where things go from here. But as soon as I can comfortable leave the workforce, I'm going to do it.

I’m losing track of the number of coworkers I’ve had that have died in their 40s-60s. Literally worked until they died. About a month ago our CEO had a headache and went to the doctor. He was told he has aggressive brain cancer and won’t live a year. I don’t want that to be me.

#2283 4 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

That's awful, I'm sorry. Having had some stuff like that relatively close to me, I can only give advice along the lines of something like "it probably wont be, but act like it might be".

Thanks. A few weeks before that, the office manager of my old job (that most of us at the current job used to work at) dropped dead of a heart attack. Super active healthy guy. Ran marathons regularly. He looked 50, but I think he was about 66.

#2293 4 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Here is the thing. That could be you and I, and chances are it will be at least one of us. My son's company's CEO also just died, a very young and well respected man. Same thing, aggressive cancer.

It could be. We all have an expiration date. My point was that if my expiration date is at 60, I'd rather live a frugal lifestyle and retire at 45 than spend a lot and work until I die.

Speaking of houses and land, my first house was a disaster I bought right out of college and lost a fortune on. My second I bought at 25 and paid off by 30. Moved shortly after, bought another house that was $150k more than the last and paid that one off in 5 years. Now I'm looking to downsize next time I move. My current house is only about 3000 sqft, but there's two rooms I've never used and it's too much trouble keeping it clean and too expensive paying to heat and cool rooms I don't even use (not to mention the extra in insurance and taxes). I do want land though. I'm looking at a 4.5 acre lot in a gated community about 1/4 mile from the golf course clubhouse back in my old neighborhood. It's under $30k. 7 acre lot on the same street is $35k.

#2297 4 years ago

"Quinine". This stuff is used in the saltwater aquarium hobby to get rid of flatworms. It used to go for 20$ a bottle. A few weeks ago they were going for $500 a bottle on Ebay. Now you can't find it.
We used to have day laborers come in and buy fish anti-biotics when I worked at an aquarium store. People treat the pet store like an emergency pharmacy.

Iranians are using Ethanol. It's not going well.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-18/alcohol-poisoning-kills-100-iranians-seeking-virus-protection

#2300 4 years ago

Fed is doing 75 Billion in QE today and 75 Billion tomorrow. 75 Billion in one day is more than they did in one month at the height of QE. Here is today's schedule:

9:40 – 10:00 am: Treasury Coupons 7 to 20 year sector, for around $6 billion

10:30 – 10:50 am: Treasury Coupons 4.5 to 7 year sector, for around $11 billion

11:20 – 11:40 am: Treasury Coupons 2.25 to 4.5 year sector, for around $17 billion

12:10 – 12:30 pm: Treasury Coupons 0 to 2.25 year sector, for around $25 billion

1:00 – 1:20 pm: Treasury Coupons 20 to 30 year sector, for around $9 billion

1:50 – 2:10 pm: TIPS 1 to 7.5 year sector (Thursday)/TIPS 7.5 to 30 year sector (Friday), for around $7 billion

#2305 4 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

I think you are going to see a bunch of companies in the same boat. Will impact dividend investing.

I'm moving away from individual stocks and going more ETFs, but the stocks I still have are mostly aristocrats. They've increased their dividend 25+ (some 50+) years in a row. Some of them are now yielding 7-10%. They'll do anything to keep their aristocrat status, so if you want to gamble you could be setting yourself up for life buying those now.

I worked at Leggett & Platt for 10 years. They are one of those 7% yielding aristocrats. That is their single most important metric. They led every internal quarterly earnings release mentioning it. During the financial crisis, they made corporate departments fire around 10% of employees to keep the earnings going. I'll never forget when our bosses came around to everybody's office and went through their office supplies taking any excess to ration to other employees. If we had more than a couple of pens, they took the rest. Same with paperclips, post-its, etc.

#2324 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinballmike217:

Feels like the market settled down today. Hoping the worst is over.

It's a weird world where the Dow fluctuating in a 1200 point range in a day is settling down.

#2357 4 years ago

It's quad witching day. Hold on to your hats. These are typically the days each year with the most trading volume.

"Quadruple witching refers to a date on which stock index futures, stock index options, stock options, and single stock futures expire simultaneously. While stock options contracts and index options expire on the third Friday of every month, all four asset classes expire simultaneously on the third Friday of March, June, September, and December."

With this out of the way, markets should be much less volatile starting Monday. The outstanding options are playing a big part in the huge swings up and down each day.

#2390 4 years ago
Quoted from PunkPin:

Which would you guys recommend for an individual brokerage account fidelity or vanguard? Or is there a better option out there?
Looking to buy some on my own outside of my account with my broker. Mostly single stocks and maybe some indexes and mutual funds.. dont know enough about puts or any of that yet.

Depends what you're buying. Vanguard is great for low cost ETFs, mutual funds, free stock trades, etc. If you plan to trade in the premarket or aftermarket, or want to daytrade, you'll want something built for that.

#2503 4 years ago

FED just threw unlimited money at everything.

#2504 4 years ago

And premarket just went green....at least temporarily.

#2505 4 years ago

Once the bailout package is passed, on top of these Fed moves, I think it's safe to put your retirement money back to work. You can't predict these things, which is why investing a consistent amount of money at consistent intervals is best for long term investments.

#2568 4 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

A phantom bull market will begin Months before the virus has abated, I'm beginning to think bottom. When 10 year displays over 1% for 2 days I'm putting cash back to work.

Yep. The market always turns before the economy.

#2574 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Whatever is causing it, that is a heck of an open...wrong of me to hope it drops back down to 18000?

You really can't time it. I have 4 IRAs that were around 50% cash/bonds until a couple weeks ago. I've been limping in a bit at a time with bigger buys each time we have a Dow down 1000+ day. Yesterday was my biggest buy yet.

Unfortunately I also have a brokerage account and I went all-in on that one a couple weeks back. That's the one that's hurting, but I only need about half the drop to come back to get back in the black. Much better than going all-in at all time highs I guess.

I'm more cautious with the IRAs because there are such small limits on yearly contributions to them.

#2578 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

It's not about betting against, or timing, it's about nothing has changed from yesterday. There's NO 'positive' reason for the market to be up that much other than false emotions. This is why I suck at the market though, I don't agree with what drives it.

Maybe not since yesterday, but I think it changed yesterday. The Fed came out and said they would buy everything, including things they didn't buy in the financial crisis, in unlimited amounts.

#2609 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Good story. Sounds like my OILU purchase. Bought the security for $11.67 and wrote the $10 January 2021 calls for $4.50. Net cost of $7.17. OILU can't trade below $10 and oil can only go up. Guaranteed to make a cool 39% for less than a year. Less than a month later, OILU is currently trading at 30 cents.

That's playing with fire. Those 3x leveraged ETFs are all guaranteed to go to 0 on a long enough timeline.

#2655 4 years ago

I used Scottrade about 20 years ago. Then used E-trade. Then used Ameritrade (they have Think or Swim included). I don't daytrade anymore, so I just use Vanguard so I can consolidate all my accounts in one place.

I think everywhere has free stock trades now. Pretty sure options still cost a little. Vanguard options are $1 per contract.

#2739 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

No worries. The Bear market is over.
https://www.cnn.com/business/live-news/stock-market-news-today-032620/index.html
"Stocks log third day of gains, Dow emerges from bear market"
From CNN Business' Anneken Tappe
=================================
Gasoline demand is falling off a cliff

That's one definition of a bull market. I've also heard some commentators on CNBC say you don't get out of a bear market until you go above the old highs.

#2744 4 years ago

Will the dow be up or down atbthe end of the week? I am predicting sub 17k.

Are you still predicting this for tomorrow?

#2752 4 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

Which do you think we will see first, 29k or 17k?

My guess is 29k, but it won't be this year.

#2755 4 years ago

I think investingdad has the best approach in this thread. Go read some of his posts. Sounds like a boglehead. I wish I'd followed that strategy.

#2757 4 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

During this financial whirlwind I have continued to max out my biweekly retirement contributions into the S&P based fund my 401k/tsp offers. Today I re-started putting in optional catch-up contributions (for age 50+) at a rate that will max out ($6500/yr) after 11 bi-weeks (to dollar cost average that sort of).
The money I had been putting in the 401k/tsp over the last 23 years was pulled out back in August and remains in a low percentage accrual safety (G Fund). I plan to consider getting some of that money back into the market between DOW 17000 and 11000 (if it gets back in that range) in chunks around 10% at a time.

What if it doesn't? What if Monday was the low? Will you get back in at some point? Typically there would be a retest of Monday's low in a few months, but you never know.

#2786 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

thanks
I am talking about a full rebalance where I move all my current stuff around (dump the index, small, mid, etc... and put it 100% in the bond)
I would leave my purchase for all future stuff the same to they catch some of the upswing.
My thought is I would be doing 2 rebalances. First is now, to decrease losses (the bond option is like -3% on the year compared to -25% for most other things). Second would be after I feel market has fully bottomed, to rebalance to a nice mix again and try to maximize the climb back.
I am very much a set it and forget it. I did the research and basically do a slight rebalance each year or 6 months to move more conservative with funds (as I get closer to predicted retirement).
Thinking that a rebalance today could easily save me from another 30+% losses (what I expect the overall market to do in the next 6 months), but pretty nervous about that since it is not my area of knowledge.
My primary investments are reall rental property, which is more scary in the short term (tenants paying???) but my bread and butter in the longer term.

Go do some reading on the boglehead forums. These guys will keep you on your long term strategy and talk you out of making mistakes you'll regret.

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=1&sid=5af8a85261a4634f406add48667b2161

#2804 4 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

I haven't been over there in years, but just did a quick walk though.
Wow.
Their C19 thread makes ours look like a playground.
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=305217&start=3850

I skimmed a couple pages of it and they seem a bit more civil

I don't go there often, don't even have an account there, but they're a calming influence during market turmoils. Lots of folks with multi-million dollar retirement accounts post there.

#2806 4 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

You can tell the level of sophistication is a bit..."different". I almost want to take advantage of a "portfolio review request", but I'm a bit apprehensive on the feedback.

I think their standard answer is your entire portfolio should be in some combination of total stock market, total bond market, and total international market. For most people (myself included), that's probably the best bet, but it sure is boring.

#2812 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

not much funds here...
How do I turn a 401k into cash?
I would be happy to just park it on the sidelines and wait.

When I had a 401k, there were a couple funds that were essentially money market funds. Close to the same as cash. Check Fidelity for one of those.

#2852 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Would someone be able to explain this option transaction. What does the '100' represent and the 'W27'? AAPL traded between $247 and $255 on Friday. Thanks for the help.[quoted image]

I'm guessing these are weekly options (the "W") expiring 3/27/20. The 100 is one contract (100 shares). I don't do spreads and other more complex strategies, just buying and selling puts and calls.

#2869 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

It means the futures market has already gone down as far as it is allowed to go down. Once limit up or limit down has been reached, to more trading is allowed until some time passes. If you had bet on the market to go up you are now crying the blues and if you had bet for the market to go down you are dancing in the streets.
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/us-stock-index-futures-trigger-limit-down-rule-heres-how-limit-rules-and-stock-market-circuit-breakers-work-2020-03-16

That's not quite right. Limit up or limit down is the max they can trade in that direction, but they don't pause (the futures market. The cash market pauses during normal trading hours), they can reverse at any time. One night last week, I think Sunday night (and Monday morning) they hit limit down within minutes of opening. Then they spent several hours recovering 1-3% of their losses, then going back down to limit down over and over.

#2891 4 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

what's the catch / fine print im missing?

They're a day trading vehicle meant to never be held overnight. Most of them rebalance daily, many are based on stock futures so they have time decay as well.

Imagine you start at 100 and the index goes down 5%, at 3x leverage now you're down to 85. The next day it goes up 5%. Now that just gets you back to 97.75. Repeat that enough times and you always end at zero.

#2896 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

DOW futures right now... -27.00 / -0.13%
probably the calmest I've seen it in a long time!

Futures don't open for another 4.5 hours. Weekend Wall Street is the closest you can get to an idea of what's going on when the futures are closed, but they're not a good barometer (they have the DOW down about 200 points at the moment)

#2902 4 years ago

Futures are barely down, just over a percent. They opened down almost 3% and have slowly climbed since.

#2919 4 years ago

Looks like it's opening up about 1% today. Maybe all the doomsayers predicting limit down and 50% more losses are wrong.

#2922 4 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

You seem to be always ready to second guess people's opinions. What do you think is going to happen?

I'm not foolish enough to predict the market on a day to day basis. That's just flipping a coin. It will likely be higher in a year than it is today. It will definitely be higher in 5 years than it is today, and higher still again in 10 years, etc. It has to be. 401Ks depend on it. IRAs depend on it. Pensions depend on it. Entire states and countries budgets depend on it. To prevent anarchy and societal breakdown, the market must rise over time, and governments will print unlimited money to make that happen.

#2924 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I think 'has to be' because of 401k's isn't the proper way to look at it...if they print unlimited money, it makes the whole point of saving any money or even using money pointless.

I wish it was that way and that savers could win. With inflation, they force you to participate in the markets or get left behind watching your buying power evaporate. I guess you can buy hard goods like pinball machines that will appreciate, but keeping your money in cash just won't work.

#2926 4 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

This thread has always been a safe place for people to be able to predict short term action in the market without being called out. In fact, most people who call out bad predictions have a prediction that was proved correct. With the current pandemic, the need for fast information about what is going to happen is more important than ever.
A long term view of this is safe and probably correct. There are also people in this thread who are making a lot of money by predicting correctly the market shifts and the companies/investments who can prosper during these dark days. In my estimation there is room for everybody provided we all respect and allow for an open discussion.

I agree with you. I think short term predictions on individual stocks, or even sectors is fine. I'm just seeing too many people on various sites rooting for the whole market to go to zero or for capitalism itself to be replaced. For myself, I welcome the chance to buy more at lower levels, but I'm compassionate and I'm thinking about the folks nearing retirement or recently retired who are watching their dreams be shattered.

#2936 4 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Are you saying that pessimism is the same thing as "rooting for"? I would call it being realistic and pragmatic.
If I say I am planning on buying at some lower market level then that is not "rooting for" it to go down, but instead is merely putting a value on when it is worth buying in to me.

When I see people above saying 9-11k on the DOW, I see trolling. I don't want to see the pain that would cause millions of people. That's beyond stock market losses. That's real world poverty and job losses.

#2938 4 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

If the market was the decline that drastically, it would mean we are headed for a depression.

Exactly. None of us want that.

#2946 4 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

I suck at this. How is EVERYTHING up right now? Thought we would see another plunge today.

Don't fight the Fed? Who knows, the day is young, it might end down.

There's massive fund rebalancing going on until the end of the month. Funds are selling bonds and buying stocks to keep their allocation where they want it.

#2966 4 years ago

I'm a small fish compared to some of you guys, but I sold 6 SPY $300 covered calls expiring in a month. I'm betting the S&P doesn't rally 400 points in a month from here. If it does, my shares get called away, otherwise I get a bit over $1k in premiums.

#2967 4 years ago
Quoted from ReplayRyan:

Bought 5,000 of BA this morning at $154. Will sell at $120 later this week.

I've been that guy....

#2976 4 years ago

Apparently it's 99 cents already at a few stations around the country. I filled up Saturday for 1.69 here.

#2979 4 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I believe the last time I paid less than a dollar was 1998.

That sounds right. I was in college then and remember it getting to about 80 cents here. It was really close to $1 in 2002, but I don't remember if it went below.

#2999 4 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

What worries me is the possibility that Delta goes bankrupt - but at least Warren Buffet and I will be in the same boat.

Me and Uncle Warren are riding together with some Kraft Heinz. It's been a bumpy ride.

#3023 4 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

I'm a small fish compared to some of you guys, but I sold 6 SPY $300 covered calls expiring in a month. I'm betting the S&P doesn't rally 400 points in a month from here. If it does, my shares get called away, otherwise I get a bit over $1k in premiums.

Bought these back today. Wasn't planning to, but had a 70% gain in one day (and the S&P only declined 42 points). That VIX drop must be bleeding out the premiums fast. I'll sell some more on the next bounce.

Also sold a 4/17 280 AVGO Covered Call and a 4/24 280 AVGO Covered Call this morning and then bought them back about an hour later for over 50% profit. I'm not big on daytrading or playing with options, but I can see the lure of big gains with them.

#3083 4 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

That’s kind of the point I’m making...with Walmart I just save my shopping list, stop by the store on my way home, they put the groceries in my trunk and I leave without ever setting foot in the store. Way cheaper than other grocery stores and way easier. You never have to set foot in a Walmart again.

I've never been in a Costco. As far as I know, no member of my extended family has ever been in a Costco. Looking at their store locator, it looks like the closest one to SW Missouri is over 2 hours away. However I've gone to Walmart once a week almost every week for the last 25 years. I grew up within an hour of Walmart's corporate office. Walmart is just part of the culture of my generation in this part of the country.

#3147 4 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Let's have a little fun today. It is 9 AM and the DOW is projected to open down. We know that there tends to be a selloff due to people not wanting to hold over the weekend. What are your predictions for the Dow closing today? I predict the DOW will close down 425. What are your predictions?

Hard to say. Oils surge is helping sentiment quite a bit, but yesterday was an up day and consecutive up days have been hard to come by. The market is barely negative on the week. I don't see it down much, but not up much either. I think the week ends fairly flat, so possibly up slightly today? Oil is up like 40% in two days. Without that I'd vote down for sure.

#3159 4 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Let's have a little fun today. It is 9 AM and the DOW is projected to open down. We know that there tends to be a selloff due to people not wanting to hold over the weekend. What are your predictions for the Dow closing today? I predict the DOW will close down 425. What are your predictions?

Well played Thing, you're really on the ball.

#3166 4 years ago

DOW futures are up about 450 so far, at levels higher than anything they reached on Friday. It'd be nice to see another run over 22k this week.

#3167 4 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

DOW futures are up about 450 so far, at levels higher than anything they reached on Friday. It'd be nice to see another run over 22k this week.

15 minutes later and they're up 700 points now. Market is liking lower COVID new cases in many countries today.

#3169 4 years ago
Quoted from Happy81724:

They also think NYC has peaked so cases will start going down.

One day of data is a bit soon to party, but yes it seems new cases are lower almost everywhere. Deaths won't peak for another 1-2 weeks though.

#3202 4 years ago

I'm curious if the people that liquidated their portfolios have started getting back in yet. Today was the bounce I was hoping for. It gave me a chance to reestablish covered calls for a good chunk of my positions. Now I have a little protection against another drop.

#3249 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Do you buy every dip? During the crash did you buy each day that dipped?

Can't speak for iceman, but I've been underinvested in stocks for the whole bull market waiting for a chance to get in. I've been buying in larger and larger chunks on each big down day. Here's an example of VTI purchases in one of my IRAs. It's a small account I opened two years ago, so I'm going 100% total stock ETF in it. Other accounts are more balanced. They were nearly 100% cash and bonds for a long time, but I'm migrating them to more of a 75/25 stocks/bonds.

vti (resized).JPGvti (resized).JPG
#3252 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

If wanting to do incremental buys, you really need to see when its best to start those buys though that's the point. Knowing when the indicators say its an oversold condition. On VTI, it entered my technical area I consider oversold on March 23rd right at $114-116/share. I believe that was right around the day I posted I was buying tons of stocks for a huge bounce.
I feel the opposite today lol
As for your incremental buys you started at the top and caught a knife and weathered a ton of pain and money to get your average to what appears may be breakeven right now.
If the market turns against you, all of those buys above $135 will now be underwater, which it looks like the majority of your holdings are above $135.
The March 23rd buy was great, as most people felt so much pain that day and panic sold everything.. so good job on that one for sure. I'd probably be selling half if it was me, and buying the other half back when the market gets kicked in the nuts again, but thats me
All I know is when we get some great selling pressure to the downside again and retests the Dow 19Ks, thats where I begin my incremental buys for long holds. Because theres a great chance thats where the bottom gets formed.

Thanks. Yes I had more firepower to buy more if it kept going under 110. That's exactly my plan on selling half at break even and buying down if it drops again. I had a few smaller buys not pictured in the 160-170 range from a couple months before that, so the average was around $140.

But again, this is a small SEP IRA and I haven't contributed anything for this year yet. If it turns down again, I'll have enough cash to essentially double down if it goes under $110, bringing the average under $125. I'm not good enough, or patient enough, to time the market, but being in an IRA it's money I can't touch for another 20+ years. In 20 years I'm sure even $170 will look like a good buy.

My brokerage account is where my individual stocks are at. That's where I've been selling puts and covered calls. I sold a bunch of puts out 1-2 weeks during the last week of March that all expired worthless. Now I'm selling calls against most of my longs, most dated May-July to make the premiums big enough.

#3254 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Excellent idea, that is exactly what I was going to suggest - selling covered calls against the longs.
When I go in heavy on the long side again for the long term, my strategy will go back to selling tons of covered calls when we get the boring market movements.
Today, in my opinion, is an amazing opportunity to write covered calls

Is there much option action in VTI? I didn't consider selling calls on that. I just requested to have options added to that account.

#3281 4 years ago

People have been screaming the market should be lower for 5500 DOW points so far. The market does what it wants to do, not what we think it should do.

#3337 4 years ago

Fed announced a new 2.3 Trillion lending program.

#3347 4 years ago

The money is in loans, it's not free money. Assuming it gets paid back, the Fed / government / banks will make money in the long run off this.

#3352 4 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

I remember a couple of weeks ago the President said the government "made a lot of money" off the 07/08 stimulus packages.

Correct. TARP made the government around 15 billion in profits.

Looks like all their bailouts combined back then made a profit of 121 billion:

https://projects.propublica.org/bailout/

#3370 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

All of this talk is such a contrarian indicator to me. Everyone here is thinking its going to keep going up forever. Its crazy how multiple green days can make people so bullish.
I dont have a position in play off this though. Who knows. I could be wrong. But I dont feel right enough to place big bets on the downside either lol
And to that point, people who think you cant fight the Fed and it will keep going up wont buy big today either. Iceman, you a buyer here? The Fed has got this right..

Everybody posting but Ice is on the sidelines waiting for it to go down. That doesn't sound contrarian to me. That money on the sidelines should act as support on declines.

#3378 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Oil...So uh..hooray for price fixing? smh... I know there's lots of oil lovers out there, but this is bull.
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/opec-agrees-deep-oil-output-151440841.html

OPEC has always manipulated oil prices. We're only a few weeks away from running out of storage worldwide for the oil being pumped.

#3381 4 years ago

Best week for the DOW in 82 years (and it was only a 4 day week).

#3382 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I said somewhere the other day that, after 40 years of the U.S. driving at OPEC to keep the prices down, that we are now partners with OPEC and Russia to get the prices up. It is jobs, of course, but more importantly, it is the 38 electoral votes that the state of Texas holds.
The whole thing started when Russia would not cut back because Putin wants the US to cut back, as well. Can't say I blame Putin. Why should he cut back just so the U.S. can keep pumping?
So, now that the U.S. is exporting oil we will be the new partner with OPEC.
[quoted image]

US needs to cut back too, but I don't think the individual companies can legally agree to as that's price fixing. Maybe they will do it with a wink and a nod.

#3385 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

That's what I was just looking at, the movement this week (and even last) is massive....

I went to 100% cash in my and my wife's Roths at the close. They were pretty conservative and they were back to flat on the year with this weeks move. Planning to switch those from mutual funds to ETFs in the coming weeks for more flexibility.

Other accounts are still pretty close to fully invested. They've recovered about 75% of their losses now. I used this week to raise a little cash and sell a ton of calls against most of the holdings in those accounts. I feel better than I have since February now. At the lows on that Monday two weeks ago I was down about $175k.

#3393 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Hope no one really did cash out their 401k (or even switch to safer investments with 5+ years to work) when the DOW was around 18,000 as these past two weeks prove why such an action is not advisable.

I think a couple people posted that they did. Go read through the thread 20-25 days ago. Hopefully they got back in.

#3395 4 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

Does anyone think that the S&P at 2790 right now is priced even more richly than it was at 3390 a month and a half ago?

Priced for second quarter 2020 earnings? Absolutely. It's probably like a 40 PE. Priced for fourth quarter 2021 earnings? It's probably quite a bit cheaper.

#3429 4 years ago
Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

Planning on buying oil but have never bought before, anyone able to give me some quick tips on what/where to buy? I have a TD Ameritrade account set up that I use for stocks.

USO if you're just making a straight bet on oil.

#3467 4 years ago

Their corporate office is one street over from where I work. One of my former coworkers works there. They were hurting long before the pandemic.

#3479 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

These are not really covered puts if you only own 600 shares and are writing 12 contracts, agreed?

Looks like he sold 6 calls against 600 shares so those are the covered calls.

He also sold 6 puts, meaning he'd buy 600 more shares at 17 if he was forced to.

#3570 4 years ago

After hours is pretty happy with some drug trials right now

#3576 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Looking at AH futures now (which I normally don't trust the PM futures as they can change often) it seems here we are with another attempt to gap over the 23,700 amount and cause another short squeeze.

Looks like it would gap to about 24,300 if it opened now, but it's a long way until morning.

#3594 4 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Yes, does not affect 2020 taxes as income, no 1099 coming. Spend away!
I threw another 2k into my e-trade account with the stimulus. So yes, its to pump up the economy.

I read it's actually based on your 2020 tax return. So say you don't get the full amount now, and you make less in 2020 than you did in 2019, you'll get more back when you file your taxes. I have a side business where the income can vary quite a bit year to year, so this will apply to me.

#3597 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/13/will-you-have-to-pay-back-the-coronavirus-stimulus-check.html
The stimulus checks are not taxable income. If you are single and make less than $75K you are going to get $1200.00. Yours to keep and spend as you see fit.
" The checks — which are worth $1,200 for individuals earning up to $75,000 and $2,400 for couples earning up to $150,000, plus $500 for dependents under 17 — are structured as refundable tax credits. That is why even people who do not typically file tax returns qualify for these payments, according to the Tax Foundation, an independent think tank.

For 2019, I fall in that 150-200k married range where I will get about half of what other people get. If my 2020 income falls, I'll get the other half back on my return.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/taxes/coronavirus-stimulus-bill-payments/

If you “made too much” in 2019, you may not get a check now even if you lose your job in 2020. But you might be made whole later (and don’t forget about filing for unemployment in the meantime). That’s because these stimulus checks are technically an advance on a 2020 tax credit that’s available all year. So if your 2020 adjusted gross income ends up being under the limit or you have a baby, you might be able to claim the tax credit (or more of the tax credit) when you file next year’s tax return.

#3607 4 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

OT: do they go off your 2018 or 2019 earnings?

They go off your 2019 if you've filed them, 2018 if you haven't. Ultimately it's based on your 2020 return, so if you didn't get the full amount based on your 2018/2019 return, and you would get more based on your 2020 (you made less in 2020), you'll get more as a credit when you file next year.

#3620 4 years ago

Oil futures crashed a third overnight... A barrel of oil is now... about $11. I am 33 years old. In my entire life oil has only been cheaper than that about 6 months. Going to be an interesting day on the market. What happens when the demand for oil is so low there is no place to store it?
Good thing I bought OXY week before last at $15 a share. Going to be holding onto that one for a little while I expect.

Technically $11 is true, but it's a little misleading as that's the May contract that's about to expire. The June contract is still around $23. So in a couple days will the headline be that oil is up over 100% from $11 to $23?

#3622 4 years ago
Quoted from taz:

I wonder which oil stocks might be worth a good buy today? OXY, CVX, HAL, XOM? Do any of you plan to tip your toes into these waters today?

XOM got down to $30 a month ago. Now it's up $10 from there while oil is much lower. Still paying a 8% dividend for now. I own it in the mid 50s. Not planning to add any more, but not selling either.

#3623 4 years ago

Probably worth a gamble that the June contract could drop 50% in a month if the storage problem doesn't get better.

#3625 4 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

I’ve seen USO thrown around in this thread. It looks like a fund as opposed to a stock. Does that just mean it invests in oil futures and I buy it like a stock? Similar to how my 401k funds work?
I was thinking of buying some USO but don’t want it to expire or something weird to happen that I don’t know about.

USO is based on oil futures, so it's always selling the current month futures and buying the next month futures to roll them forward. With the May futures at half the price of the June futures, it's kind of like it's selling oil at $11 and buying it back at $23. I over-simplified, but you can read more about it here. It's a losing bet most of the time.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4338311-betting-on-higher-oil-prices-uso-is-not-right-vehicle

#3630 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

What I read a couple of weeks ago was that XOM was going to be selling some "stuff" for lack of a better word. It sounded like XOM considers its dividend sacrosanct.
But many times a stock has a high dividend for a reason. 8% sounds like a too good to be true story. I mean, why aren't the pros bidding this stock up with low yields on everything else ?

I've listened to their CEO talk about the dividend a few times. What they do is during bad times they pay the dividend with debt, then during good times they pay the debt back down. So their balance sheet is a tool to keep the dividend safe and growing. That will work until it doesn't, but they've raised their dividend for 37 consecutive years, so they've been through several downturns already.

Anybody up for a trip to Canada? Apparently they're paying people $3/barrel to take their oil right now.

#3634 4 years ago

Two hours in to the trading day and the XLE (S&P energy sector fund) is up

#3641 4 years ago

Oil now $2 a barrel.

If I had a swimming pool, I'd fill it with oil right now. Is that legal?

#3645 4 years ago

It got down to a penny...

And now negative 8.61 a barrel. Crazy.

#3646 4 years ago

Wouldn't FDX and UPS be great buys here? Most purchases are online with everybody stuck at home and oil is free so gas prices would give them a boost.

#3648 4 years ago

It closed at -37.63. You get paid 37630 to take 1000 barrels of oil.....

#3670 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

The reason oil went negative today is actually because of USO. Check out this article
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimcollins/2020/04/20/the-us-oil-etf-uso-is-the-culprit-behind-oils-massive-plunge/
Notice the speculative part that says the Fed could start buying USO.. which is very possible. Don't fight the fed right?

That article is just flat wrong. He is saying the May contract went down today because of USO, but USO hasn't owned any of the May contract in over a week. It currently owns 20% July and 80% June.

USO would have been slaughtered today if they still owned May.

Here's their roll schedule. April 13th was the last day they owned any May contracts.

roll (resized).JPGroll (resized).JPG
#3672 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Very true but I think the point is by USO rolling those contracts over they may have triggered the domino effect for what we saw today. The problem is the June contracts which I believe they need to sell in a couple weeks, if those trade at $0 or negative then USO is technically worth $0 right now. I don't see that happening but who knows, any plays on oil right now are very high risk and speculative.
I am in USO for a bounce then I am out. If I am wrong I dont have a ton of cash invested in options (which is why I own calls vs the stock itself) so my downside risk is minimized.
I wish I understood the mechanics of USO, I just have used it as a trading vehicle over the years when oil came up on my trading radar from time to time.

Yah I read they recently had to change their structure because of huge inflows. There's some limit, either in their charter or legally, to how much of a particular contract they could own. The inflows pushed them over that limit so that's why they currently have some July in addition to the June. Historically they would have been 100% June right now.

#3715 4 years ago

Those oil ETFs like USO are pretty much a scam in this environment. If you understand how they work you'll understand why. Lets say the spot price of oil is $10. USO is based on future contracts. Now lets say the June contract is $10 and the July contract is $20. As the days go by, USO is selling at $10 and buying at $20. Every day that they roll contracts forward a month, they lose money even if spot price of oil stays the same. Move forward a month, July has finally sunk to $10 and August is $20. Now they're selling July at $10 and buying August at $20. It's like swimming upstream. Over a long enough time, they will likely go to zero.

#3716 4 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

Those oil ETFs like USO are pretty much a scam in this environment. If you understand how they work you'll understand why. Lets say the spot price of oil is $10. USO is based on future contracts. Now lets say the June contract is $10 and the July contract is $20. As the days go by, USO is selling at $10 and buying at $20. Every day that they roll contracts forward a month, they lose money even if spot price of oil stays the same. Move forward a month, July has finally sunk to $10 and August is $20. Now they're selling July at $10 and buying August at $20. It's like swimming upstream. Over a long enough time, they will likely go to zero.

This goes for nearly all commodity ETFs. Most are based on futures contracts and future prices are almost always higher than current prices. I believe a few like SLV and GLD literally hold the commodity (silver and gold in this case), so you don't have those futures losses. There's no ETF that holds hundreds of millions of barrels of oil in storage somewhere.

#3719 4 years ago

This is from the USO prospectus

uso1 (resized).JPGuso1 (resized).JPGuso2 (resized).JPGuso2 (resized).JPG
#3721 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

You make it sound like USO was a sham that was setup just to generate trading commissions. I will not disagree.
[quoted image]

Absolutely. The little guy wanted a way to invest in oil, so they invented one. At least it's not leveraged. They're meant for a very short term directional bet, preferably intraday.

#3725 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

So, basically oil prices are rigged, along with all the BS we are fed yearly about 'quantity'. The world really needs to get away from dependence on oil money. They make record profits, how is it they can't go a month or two on lower demand? They don't need to be pumping constantly, they have no problems shuttering production when it's convenient for them. Sorry, having trouble feeling any empathy with all these billionaires and how they run their companies.

My understanding is that the shale producers can't just flip a switch and stop pumping. They are literally paying people to take the oil they pump in some cases because that's cheaper than the cost to shut down a well. It's absurd and really messes up the laws of supply and demand. Those producers need to go bankrupt and not be able to continue business during bankruptcy.

#3729 4 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

And who gets to buy the bankrupt shale producers' assets? Saudis, Chinese, and Russians? Dont think we want that.
It certainly is a tangled web. Seems a great opportunity to beef up the strategic reserve at least.

I agree the assets have to stay in the US as it's a strategic asset and security risk, but let the major players like Exxon and Chevron buy them for pennies on the dollar. Then they can let the oil fields sit unused until demand returns.

#3788 4 years ago

I won't pretend to understand gamma completely, but it has something to do with how the big dealers are positioned via options. I see articles about it every few weeks and they're pretty spot on with predicting future market moves. S&P at 2800 is right in a neutral gamma zone and that's why it's kind of stuck there right now. If the market goes up a bit from here, it will keep going up because the dealers with be forced to keep buying. Likewise if it goes down a little from here, it will force more selling. With the Fed on the bulls side, odds are in the favor of more gains unless there's some really bad news that can overcome that upward bias.

#3816 3 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I sold my 150 DIS today, for a $1600 loss. Between DIS and DAL, I’m out a Stern Pro. Lesson learned: don’t get so excited about the dividend that you ignore what’s actually happening to the company.

Interesting. I don't like airlines, but I think Disney is still a steal here. Wasn't there an article a few weeks ago that said at these levels, the stock is valued at the value of Disney+ by itself, with the theme parks, cruises, etc as a free bonus? I have a couple hundred shares a little higher and no intention of selling.

#3823 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

All Walmart employees now have to wear a mask. Trouble is that more than half the customers in the store think it does not apply to them. It will only get worse as the heat comes on. So all you can do is hope for a summer reprieve from this virus.

I can only comment from my weekly Saturday morning Walmart run. The cashiers and greeters has masks on, but the workers in the produce section, stocking shelves, and gathering pickup orders weren't wearing masks. Customer use seemed to peak at around 50% two weeks ago. This week I'd say customer mask use was down to around 25%. I go right when they open with the old folks that should be wearing them.

#3825 3 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

There are rumors that they may not reopen the parks until 2021.

If the parks are valued at zero towards the stock price, does it matter if they don't open until 2021? Sure it limits the upside, but shouldn't hurt the downside.

#3847 3 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

...unless they represent an index, like VOO or VUG or VIG.

Agreed. Or sector ETFs are probably fine. It's the leveraged ETFs and commodity ETFs that are made to fleece investors.

An index ETF is the same as a mutual fund, with the added benefits of lower fees and being able to be traded any time during the day, not just at the closing price at the end of the day.

#3883 3 years ago

Looks like AMZN shit the bed, was down $160.00 per share after hours... Let see what Apple does here in a few minutes.

That was pretty expected. They were up $800/share off the lows and their delivery times and margins have been awful the last couple months. Stuff I'm ordering that usually takes 2 days with prime is now taking 2-3 weeks.

My home phone went bad two weeks ago and I tried to order a new one. They were in stock, but since phones aren't essential, they wouldn't ship it until May 10th, so I bought it from Best Buy instead and got it in 2 days. Ordered a new toaster 12 days ago, also in stock, and it won't ship until May 4th. I might as well cancel my prime since I'm not getting any benefit out of it.

#3909 3 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

We have a major hub here - so not sure what the problem is. Ordered some stuff April 16th and won't be here (estimate) until the 7th. Guess that would be like 3 weeks.

I said the same yesterday. I just ordered a CD and a pair of slippers. Both in stock. Both won't arrive for about 10 days even with prime. If I look at something like food, that gets here in 2 days since it's "essential".

#3910 3 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

I said the same yesterday. I just ordered a CD and a pair of slippers. Both in stock. Both won't arrive for about 10 days even with prime. If I look at something like food, that gets here in 2 days since it's "essential".

There is a trick to it though. If you order something non-essential, then do another order for something essential, sometimes your non essential item will get shipped faster if they can ship it from the same warehouse as the essential item.

#3912 3 years ago

Did Elon finally lose his mind today?

elon (resized).JPGelon (resized).JPG
#3916 3 years ago

I wish I understood options well enough to do something like that.
Lucky for me I don’t have to worry about losing much $$.. most of you probably have more in your cars ashtray than my net worth

There's not much to it. He's saying to sell the Boeing January 2021 $130 put for $30.

What that means is if the price is below $130 in January, you are forced to buy 100 shares, but with your $30 discount, you're getting them for $100 a share. If it's above $130 in January, you keep $30 * 100 = $3000 profit for your time.

#3928 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Oh, yeah. Buffett sold all of his airline stocks. He is back on train time.
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/02/warren-buffett-says-berkshire-sold-its-entire-position-in-airlines-because-of-the-coronavirus.html
“I don’t know that three, four years from now people will fly as many passenger miles as they did last year,” he said. “You’ve got too many planes.”
"Prior to 2016, Buffett had eschewed airline investments and had been so opposed to putting money into the industry in the past that he told shareholders in a 2007 note that “if a farsighted capitalist had been present at Kitty Hawk, he would have done his successors a huge favor by shooting Orville down.” .....

That was pretty sneaky what he did a few weeks back, selling just enough of his airline shares to drop under 10% ownership so he didn't have to disclose future sales. Then he sold it all.

#3948 3 years ago

Me after seeing that Disney had a huge earnings miss, cut their dividend and the stock is up today..[quoted image]

They were already down 1/3 from their high. They are reopening one of the Chinese parks this week. They are profitable and the dividend cut is a positive for preserving cash. $100 is a fair price.

#3956 3 years ago

Anyone have thoughts on PHYS for
a gold play?

Seems reasonable to me. I kind of like closed-end funds, especially when they trade at a discount to NAV. PHYS is backed by actual physical gold, which GLD is not. Fees are a little high. Has some positives over GLD.

https://www.fool.com/investing/general/2015/10/10/the-best-gold-etfs-to-profit-from-a-rebound-in-gol.aspx

#3981 3 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

I thought about trying to work the best deal on the car price by letting them think they are going to make $$$$ on financing then just paying it off completely in the first month.

I did this as well. They had an extra cash off offer, $750 more off, but only if you financed through them. I did that, then paid off the balance after a couple months.

#4040 3 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

Is Disney even a buy here? The 5 year chart basically shows them at $120 in 2015, then going nowhere for 4 years, up last year a lot but now they're basically not any lower than they were in Jan of 2019. Is this company better off than early 2019 now? Looking past the theme park issue, they're going to have content issues going forward, and the big Marvel and Star Wars things have played out. Sports may be down for a while too.
I don't see a $107 stock here. I see a company that's going to struggle going forward for a while, and it may be 3 or 4 years before they get back to last year's heights. I guess my thought is, why take a chance on a company that's going to struggle for quite a while and isn't even really priced that cheap, when you can buy things like Apple that have craploads of cash and aren't going to suffer like Disney as much.

There was no Disney+ in Jan 2019. It launched in November 2019. With 50+ million subscribers already, I'd argue Disney is much better off now than they were in early 2019. It's turning into a Netflix competitor that also happens to have theme parks as a side business.

#4092 3 years ago

Prediction: Dow up 800+ points today (5/18).

That's cheating when the futures are already up 700.

#4095 3 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

With the Moderna vaccine trial news it is not a very bold prediction.

Yep. They spiked on that news over an hour ago.

dow (resized).PNGdow (resized).PNG
#4096 3 years ago

It'll probably sell on the news and end red. It's been stuck in this range for weeks and it's right at the top of the range now. Hopefully not.

#4100 3 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

There was no Disney+ in Jan 2019. It launched in November 2019. With 50+ million subscribers already, I'd argue Disney is much better off now than they were in early 2019. It's turning into a Netflix competitor that also happens to have theme parks as a side business.

Disney is now up 20% in under a week.

#4116 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

If I ever had any doubt that the market is rigged, I doubt no more.
P/E ratios don't count
None of the numbers count.
Right now the only number that counts is 2020.
Home Depot has recovered ALL of it losses and about to set a new high.
[quoted image]

Why would HD be worse off now than they were 4 or 5 months ago? People stuck at home are spending a fortune upgrading their homes and fixing up their yards and landscaping. Home Depot's costs are up quite a bit from dealing with the pandemic, but their sales have soared.

I'd maybe argue that a year from now will be worse. Once everybody has finished remodeling, they won't need to do it again anytime soon.

#4117 3 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Who’s brave enough to short this? I’m just going to stay short (under-invested).

I don't even know where I stand now. I have some longs. I have some shorts. I've sold both puts and calls. I think I'd do best if the market just drifted in this range or maybe 5% or so lower for a few months. My brokerage account is still overweight long. It has some positions I'd like to get out of soon that are just 5-10% below my costs. I sold out of some of my dividend payers like MMM, CVS, and KHC. Sold KHC at a small loss on Thursday after holding it for about 15 months only to watch it rise 10% in 3 days since. Lots of cash being freed up for higher quality investments.

Three of my IRAs are now up for the year and 100% cash. In all of those, I've sold puts for the next few months laddered down 5-20%. That will force me to buy back in gradually at lower levels, or collect premiums if the market doesn't drop.

1 week later
#4180 3 years ago
Quoted from investingdad:

Based on the morning futures, it's beginning to look more and more like a 3 month wealth transfer.
The unpleasant woman Suze Orman was bragging about how much cheap stock she bought while giving very different advice to her adherents during all this.
I'm happy to say that nobody profited off of me via panic selling.

Agreed, but the indexes are a bit deceiving. There's a ton of individual stocks still down 25% or more while the indexes are barely down 10%.

1 week later
#4274 3 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

I was coming here to ask the same thing!
What is left that is still "in the ditch"?

Possibly REITs if you can stand the volatility? REITs like SPG and SKT are up 100% from their lows and still down 50% from where they were in February. They also pay 10-15% yield at the current prices (down from 20-30% at their bottoms). If you believe in the reopening story, they're a good buy. I think SKT said their mall traffic is already back to 80% of normal in some states.

#4281 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

SKT has been a rollercoaster for sure. Lots of money to be made/lost in the volatility. Dividend got suspended as I recall.

Correct. It's postponed. To qualify as a REIT, they have to pay out something like 90% of their profits as dividends, so I imagine if business returns to normal faster than expected there will be a larger and/or special dividend at the end of the year to make up for the quarterly suspension.

#4350 3 years ago

The DOW is still up 7500 points and the S&P up 900 points from the March lows and people are freaking out about a couple of down days. The Fed doesn't need to step in and do anything extra right now. If it drops 50% from here, then they'll probably start buying S&P ETFs, but we're a long way from there. Keep some dry powder and buy good stocks at discounts.

#4380 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

That happened with Eastman Kodak. EK has been replaced by KODK and a complete new body of shareholders. One day you had ownership and the next day you had zero. All legal.
Yellow Freight, YRCW, kept its call symbol, but changed it name to YRC Worldwide and took all of the shareholders for a ride.

Hertz is in bankruptcy and it came out yesterday they want to sell up to a billion dollars in stock to clueless buyers that will soon be worth zero.

#4441 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

A few ideas for you guys:
Just bought 2,250 shares of Slack (WORK)

I don't care much for Slack the product. I worked at a company that used it. It was a total time-waster for the company, basically the Facebook of the office. They even had a slack channel dedicated to workers pets. Instead of doing work, people posted pictures of their pets and commented on them all day. I don't see them have a sustainable future.

1 week later
#4501 3 years ago
Quoted from jmadonti:

What do you think will happen to the stock market if Biden is elected

It may already be somewhat factored in. The gambling sites (must more trustworthy than polls) have him with quite a big lead at this point. PredictIt has 58 cents Biden, 44 cents Trump.

4 weeks later
#4618 3 years ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

I thought this was a stock board. Doesn’t anyone want to talk about Tesla?

What's to talk about? It's a cult with a stock price that's not based on reality.

2 weeks later
#4671 3 years ago
Quoted from Pin-Pilot:

Lets hope so, I just bought RKT.

I was interested until I saw the market cap is already near 50 billion. I wanted to own it around 20 billion.

#4691 3 years ago
Quoted from Pin-Pilot:

In this market I am not sure how anything is justified. AAPL goes up no matter what as do many other stocks. One week it is this, the next week it is the opposite. It feels more like gambling at present. Pick a target and shoot.

Now that it (RKT) has dropped about $7, I sold some September puts that would get me in at around $16.25 if I'm assigned. I'd like it better at $12-15, but $16 is a lot better than $26 it was last week.

#4698 3 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Picked up some RKT yesterday at $18.67
I'll give it a couple earnings cycles and see how it plays out

I think you'll be happy. They just unexpectedly released earnings early (to boost the sagging stock price I'm sure). Up 7% so far in premarket.

#4699 3 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

I think you'll be happy. They just unexpectedly released earnings early (to boost the sagging stock price I'm sure). Up 7% so far in premarket.

Make that 13%.

#4701 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Not earnings, but Q2 guidance. Earnings will be Sept 2.
Some good insight into their numbers are below. RKT is going to be a winner!
Shares of Rocket Companies RKT rose 10% in premarket trade Friday, after the parent of major mortgage lender Quicken Loans offered guidance for its second quarter. The company, which went public last week, said it expects net income of $3.5 billion, after a loss of $54 million in the same period a year ago. Revenue is expected to climb to $5.037 billion from $938 million a year ago. The guidance was issued as part of a financial disclosure requirement for bondholders, the company said in a release. It will report second-quarter earnings on Sept. 2 and does not expect to offer guidance in future quarters. There are currently too few FactSet estimates to create a reliable consensus. The company said its closed loan originations volume of $72.3 billion was up 126% from a year ago. Rocket raised $1.8 billion in its IPO. The stock closed Thursday just above its IPO issue price of $18.

Probably semantics, but they're calling it preliminary earnings results. I think the quarter is over and they announced early, but official results won't be until Sept 2 like you said.

Second Quarter Highlights:

Closed loan origination volume of $72.3 billion increased 40% compared to the first quarter of 2020 and 126% compared to the second quarter of 2019

Total net revenue of $5.0 billion increased 269% compared to the first quarter of 2020 and 437% compared to the second quarter of 2019

Net rate lock volume was $92.0 billion, an increase of 64% compared to the first quarter of 2020 and 170% compared to the second quarter of 2019

Gain on sale margin was 5.19%, up from 3.25% in the first quarter of 2020 and 3.22% in the second quarter of 2019

Net income was $3.5 billion compared to net income of $97 million in the first quarter of 2020 and a net loss of $54 million in the second quarter of 2019

Adjusted revenue of $5.3 billion increased 152% compared to first quarter 2020 and 300% compared to second quarter 2019

Adjusted net income was $2.8 billion, an increase of 335% compared to first quarter 2020 and 995% compared to second quarter 2019

Adjusted EBITDA of $3.8 billion grew 317% compared to the first quarter of 2020 and 868% compared to the second quarter of 2019

1 week later
#4761 3 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Thats what i pointed out few hours back. The word was out behind scenes last night. Thats why the overnight run up and pre market was so high over 10%. People knew this was going to happen today.

Sounds like KODK deja vu.

#4789 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

This will be me if trump losses

It will be too late if you wait until the results are in.

#4807 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Just rung the register on a 1/3 of my RKT. Will buy back in. What a ride!

Well done. I bought back my puts a few days ago. Should have just bought shares I guess. I made about $1k instead of over $10k.

#4822 3 years ago

Looks like reality finally set in for the parabolic names today. Will it be a one day affair? Many of them need a 25% haircut just to get back to overvalued.

#4824 3 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

Yeah, I'm trying to decide, do I jump in now or wait to see if this down trend continues into tomorrow.

I've been in value names and cash, so I've missed all this insanity. My value names are actually up today

#4827 3 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Even the talking head stock market guys are starting to sound ominous that a big correction is about to happen. It is almost as if the Tesla and Apple splits were like taking one last bite of the apple before jumping off the train.

Apple is a great company, but come on. Are they really worth more than a trillion dollars more than they were at the beginning of the year? Even that pales compared to TSLAs run.

#4828 3 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

Yeah, I'm trying to decide, do I jump in now or wait to see if this down trend continues into tomorrow.

I don't think it will roll over all at once. Right now you'll get the buyers that felt like they missed out and wanted to get in at the slightest discount. There would have to be another drop to scare those buyers, and maybe a few more sets of buyers that come in at lower prices and fail to catch the bottom before it gives way.

#4834 3 years ago

Growth stocks right now....

Down 27% in 3 days? Must be a huge bargain. Or maybe not when you zoom out.

tsla1 (resized).JPGtsla1 (resized).JPGtsla2 (resized).JPGtsla2 (resized).JPG
#4854 3 years ago

From what I'm reading, what's been happening the last few weeks in these tech stocks is this:

There's massive upside call buying to the tune of hundreds of billions of dollars by some big players. In order to cover those calls, dealers are forced to buy the stock forcing prices to rise exponentially. Then more call buying forces more share buying. The tail is wagging the dog. It's basically a high stakes game of musical chairs. When the music stops, the drop could be stunning.

This is why the VIX is at record highs for a market high. The only comparable time period to these VIX levels at all time highs was 1999-2000.

I know it sounds crazy looking at current prices, but Apple could go back to 80 quite easily. That's 320 pre-split, which is just levels from 2 months ago. It started the year at about 75 split-adjusted.

#4856 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Go ahead and short Apple and see how that works out
There are plenty of better candidates if you believe tech is overvalued like I do in some names
Fortunes have been lost betting against Apple while fortunes have been made betting on
Valuation is catching up to where it should be for 2021

I never said anything about shorting. I said wait to buy until it returns to where it broke out of its range. That's technical trading 101.

I did sell Apple puts today when it was at 114 that expired today. That was free money.

#4872 3 years ago
Quoted from BobSacamano:

An interesting question is do average investors actually move the market or is the whales like Softbank?

The Softbank option buying was what I was referring to yesterday in post 4854. They're the main driver of the vertical movement the last few weeks.

#4890 3 years ago

Whelp... my dumbass just jumped in on Teslas at 342.66. Don't think I'll stay in long but this looks like an opportunity to me. With all that said this is the guy who bought MAC at 10.50 and sold at 7.50 so take it for what it's worth. Bailed on most of my other REITs too.

I guess if you're going to buy TSLA, the 50-day MA isn't the worst place to take a shot. I'd rather have it at the 200-day MA around 180.

1 week later
#4979 3 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

WKHS up another 10%. up to $26.06. Not sure when this is going to crash back to earth, but I'm enjoying the ride so far. I bought at $5.92, but didnt buy enough!!

I'd never heard of WKHS until last week (I still don't know what it is), but my buddy said he's up over $50k in it since he bought it in the spring.

#5000 3 years ago

Looks like the 1 day a year value is outperforming growth. Even Walgreens at decade lows is up 4% for no reason today.

#5058 3 years ago

Sold 7 AAPL $106.50 puts Wednesday that expired worthless today. Almost got assigned on those....

Sold 7 AAPL $101.50 puts for next Friday expiration.

Sold 7 JPM $95.50 puts expiring next Friday.

I think next week could be rough after quad witching today, so I wouldn't be shocked if I end up having to buy either of those.

#5061 3 years ago

RGB just died. RIP. This makes a Trump reelection more likely. Betting odds will reflect this Monday. Markets like Trump. I say a 500 point rise in the Dow Monday.

Guy on the news said this all but assures a Biden presidency. I guess you can twist it either way to fit your beliefs.

1 week later
#5214 3 years ago

Cramer is no longer liking Rocket. Does that make it a buy? I flipped 1k shares on Thursday from 19.60 -> 20.75. I think it's worth repeating if it gets back down there.

“Rocket is a very strange company because when it was at $18.90 I said buy it, then it went up to the high $20s, I said sell it. Now it’s right back to $20. I feel like, hey, you know what, I had my call with Rocket and now I’m ready to move on. There are a lot of people who are short the stock. They don’t like the ownership structure.”

1 week later
#5306 3 years ago

On a different note I bought a little Pins awhile ago to ride the wave. I know of the company but never dug into them much. I decided to sign up and see what it is all about. After creating an account and poking around I have determined they don’t have much to offer. Am I missing something? I don’t see this website generating much cash the way it sits now. Please let me know your thoughts. I might just bail on this one and take the profit. Nothing wrong with that.

I agree. I'd put Pins on par with Craigslist. It looks like some lame website someone created in their garage in the 90s. I hate when I'm doing a google search, click on a result, and end up on Pinterest. I'm baffled by their valuation.

#5308 3 years ago

Thanks for the confirmation. I’m out.

Careful or you'll summon Iceman. In fairness, I hated Pinterest (the site) when the stock was in the teens and now it's over $40.

#5313 3 years ago

Our company gets a huge amount of referrals from Pinterest's website
It's extremely popular with females
Just because you don't fit the target demographic ....

I know who uses it and what for. It doesn't need to exist. So many companies now are nothing more than advertisers, they don't make anything of value, they're just middlemen taking a cut. Hell, I have a website that makes thousands a month in ebay referrals. It's serving no purpose other than taking money out of ebay's pocket and putting it in mine.

Maybe I should have an IPO

#5317 3 years ago

Irrelevant if it should it exist .... facts are it does and people are using it

They just copied the corkboard concept that MySpace had first, and we know how that turned out.

#5318 3 years ago

What are some top picks out there from Pinsiders? I’m looking for a new stock to buy. For me it must be profitable or about to be profitable. My top holdings are Amzn, Baba, AAPL and Msft but they are all mega cap stocks. I’m digging my most recent purchase of QDEL which should continue to run as long as Covid is a thing. I was thinking about adding to that but I’m open to other ideas.

I don't know about individual stocks, but I really think value will outperform growth soon. Growth is at historical highs vs value right now. That would include some of Ice's ditch stocks making a comeback, as well as a lot of forgotten dividend aristocrats.

I've thought about playing the spread, like shorting 500k worth of growth and going long an equal amount of value. In a downturn, you'd make more from the growth short than you might lose in the value long, and if both continue to rise and the spread narrows you'd come out ahead that way too.

#5322 3 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

TBH this echoes my thoughts on FB.

I don't care for the social aspects of FB, but I kind of like that I can "like" a few of my favorite sports, teams, hobbies, etc and get a centralized source of information about everything I like.

I just started using their marketplace a couple months back and that's a great way to find local stuff to buy. So much easier than Craigslist.

#5362 3 years ago

I don't know what FSLY is or does, but I got an alert they are down 28% after hours today. Maybe they're a good buy now? That just knocks their price back to where they were...about a week ago?

#5370 3 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Yes sir. I own a lot of FSLY but bought early on. It went from $90’s to $130 in few weeks for a reason I have no idea on. ARK ETF’s, the best this year, bought a bunch this week and added another 87,000 shares Friday . $80’s is ok pricing for the long term. $120’s is bat shit crazy now, but that is how things go sometimes.

I bought 300 Friday and immediately sold 10/30 calls against them. If it doesn't drop $7 more in 2 weeks it'll be profitable. Max profit around $2500.

#5385 3 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

I bought 300 Friday and immediately sold 10/30 calls against them. If it doesn't drop $7 more in 2 weeks it'll be profitable. Max profit around $2500.

Well this FSLY trade is turning ugly thanks to a downgrade today (after the stock was already down 40+% in a week). I bought back the $87 calls at about 85% profit and sold $79 covered calls. Basically moved my break even to $75 from $79. Anything above $75 is a profitable trade now. Guess I'll just play this game each week if it keeps falling until it finally turns around. Should profit on it eventually, the only thing lost is time.

#5394 3 years ago
Quoted from midniight:

Sell , sell , sell !

Aren't you getting tired of that joke?

sell (resized).JPGsell (resized).JPG
1 week later
#5495 3 years ago
Quoted from loren3233:

There has been a lot of mention of REIT's in this thread as of late. I wanted to ask the thoughts, if anyone knows good or bad, about SKT (Tanger)? Would this be a decent long term play?
Thank you for any response.

I've traded SKT a few times over the years. I currently own some shares. 500 a bit lower than it is now and another 1000 up about 10/share. Owning a REIT currently not paying a dividend isn't fun. However they paid back the credit line they drew down on at the beginning of the shutdown and their cash flow is now covering their expenses. They're in good shape to survive and recover when COVID is over. They were hated before the pandemic and probably won't ever get back to their old highs, but doubling or tripling from here isn't a stretch. I wouldn't be surprised if they are a takeover target at some point.

#5522 3 years ago

I think it's happy with a Republican controlled Senate that Biden can't ram through any drastic changes

Aren't they saying there's two run-off seats for the Senate that will still decide that? And those won't be decided for months?

#5526 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Yeah, but even at most a 50-50 split will mean nothing aggressive gets thru.
Wall Street loves gridlock.
What I find funny is going into the week it was “rally due to big wave meaning lots of stimulus”. Then it was “rally because everything stays the same”. Then it was “rally because gridlock is good.”

Part of it is there were a lot of hedges put on for the election for protection. Now those hedges have to be unwound, which slingshots the market higher.

#5555 3 years ago

Stay at home stocks crushed this morning, while go back out stocks soaring. Airlines up 25% premarket. Disney 12%, REITs 15%, Oil up $4/barrel.

#5562 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Time to make the rotation. Work at home stocks are taking it in the shorts today. Just put in some big buys on MGM and AA. Also, riding the lightning in front of RKT's earnings tomorrow and more than doubled my position of that stock in one of my accounts. Anybody jumping in the boat with me?

I sold some RKT covered calls a couple weeks back, but I closed the position Friday. Don't like playing earnings, but I'd like to trade it again soon.

#5563 3 years ago
Quoted from loren3233:

Thank you all for the responses and the opinions on SKT. I have not purchased any at this point but will be watching from the sidelines the next 2-3 days due to the outcome of the election and may make my decision then. I appreciate the feedback as REIT's are an unknown for myself.

SKT is up about 30-35% since you asked about it last week. Another buck and I could get out even and never look back.

I do think it has potential to get back to mid teens though with the vaccine. They will reinstate the dividend next year and they'll be allowed to restart their repurchase program in July.

#5595 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

By “debunked” you mean ignored Lol
From a policy standpoint the foundation is in place and divided govt will keep it that way
Not much to really screw up and the market loves it

It's not divided yet. Strong possibility of a 50/50 Senate split after the run-off.

#5605 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Honestly, I’d prefer a woman next time over another old white guy. I like Hogan though
As far as the “in the ditch” pull back today I think the shutdown crowd is making one last run at it and it’s creating some pause.
As Tom Lee from Fundstrat said “it’s a baby step”. Long ways to go.
That’s another excellent research site I subscribe to and a guy I find myself agreeing with a lot

They have Tom Lee on CNBC all the time. I can honestly say I've never seen a bigger bull. He's never met an investment that wasn't going higher. I believe he's predicted Bitcoin as high as 10 million per coin. Last week he was on before the election and said the market was going higher if Biden won, the market was going higher if Trump won, and the market was going higher with a blue wave or a split government. The announcers make fun of him a lot to his face and behind his back.

#5609 3 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

Well this FSLY trade is turning ugly thanks to a downgrade today (after the stock was already down 40+% in a week). I bought back the $87 calls at about 85% profit and sold $79 covered calls. Basically moved my break even to $75 from $79. Anything above $75 is a profitable trade now. Guess I'll just play this game each week if it keeps falling until it finally turns around. Should profit on it eventually, the only thing lost is time.

Finally out from under this mess. Sold covered calls 3 times and puts once that expired worthless. At its worst 2 weeks ago, I was $5000 down on the trade. Got out today for a total gain of $23.46.

I might give FSLY another go if it goes down under $70 again. Better than the $86 I started at last time...

#5707 3 years ago
Quoted from athenspin:

My wife got an email last year pre “pandemic” that Teladoc was covered under our family plan. No co pay no waiting in a doctors office half the day, quick and efficient! Big fan of Teladoc.

Our company insurance has had it for free since last November as well. I won't ever use it though. A doctor visit needs diagnostics and compassion that you can't get through a video chat. You need your vitals checked and often a blood draw or an x-ray. Honestly I'd choose WebMD or a google search before I'd use Teledoc. Can a doctor through Teledoc prescribe medicine? That would be the only benefit I could see in order to save a trip to your local physician just for a renewal of maintenance meds.

I live in a small town and can get in to see my physician pretty much any time with no wait. The waiting room rarely has more than 3 or 4 people in it and it's only about 3 miles from my house.

#5712 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Respectfully, I think you might consider revisiting your opinion on this. There are a tremendous array of areas that telemedicine is providing real benefit for right now. From simple consultations to reviewing of lab work to mental health, telemedicine is providing care quickly, cost effectively, and with greater coverage of care. A lot of medical facilities are doing X-rays and labs with the hospital consultation occurring remotely now. One of my very good friends is a psychologist for the VA and is providing care as veteran's need it, without them having to wait weeks and months to get an appointment. In rural areas where folks might not have a lot of access to care, telemedicine is a boon to those residents.
In my professional life, I am involved in modernizing one of the largest telemedicine networks deployed. The benefits and impacts are real.

I respect your opinion and I'm sure there's plenty of folks that see a benefit to telemedicine, but it's not for me. I despise talking on the phone. I don't own a cell phone and have never done a video chat for any reason.

I can say that no member of my extended family or my wife's family has ever used telemedicine or expressed any desire to do so.

#5716 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

I'm sorry, but this is a dangerous line of thinking. Telemedicine has real, trained doctors diagnosing conditions, providing care, and following up with patients. They are actually working with you and your medical history, and have access to your records. WebMD and google provides none of this, and is easily misinterpreted.

I think you can learn a lot from your own research. I've diagnosed a few ailments online before going to the doctor and having them confirmed. I've had kidney stones and last year I had a hernia. Maybe those are somewhat obvious to people that have had them, but the kidney stone pain could have been from several other sources.

I've been dealing with shoulder pain for about 5 years and I've spent dozens of hours researching what it could be. It's going to take an MRI to confirm it though. When I feel like shelling out another $4k for an MRI and likely surgery I'll get it taken care of.

#5719 3 years ago
Quoted from athenspin:

As far as renewal and maintenance meds I’m not sure.

I had to go last week because it had been a year since my last appointment and they wouldn't renew my prescriptions without seeing me again. I felt great, blood pressure and everything checked out. On the way out, the doc said "why don't you stop off and get blood drawn on your way out", so I did. They called and left a message a couple hours later saying I had high something or other and need to cut down on sugar and take fish oil. A Teledoc appointment would have completely missed that and maybe led to significant issues down the road.

#5722 3 years ago
Quoted from RojerLockless:

As someone who had 100k in BTC and ETH and other cripto in 2017 right before the crash... I wish I would have cashed in. Who's to know what it will do... but I know I should have taken it and paid it on my house.

Isn't there some saying about only investing in things that hurt when dropped on your foot? I don't know how well that holds up in the 21st century, but I sleep better owning silver bars than a bunch of 1s and 0s on a computer somewhere.

#5725 3 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Wrong.
Bitcoin is owned by you. It is not on “a computer”. The blockchain is basically a digital ledger of literally MILLIONS of computer all acknowledging the same transactions at the same time. You can buy your bitcoin, print out your wallet and digital key. Then they are protected, safely in “cold storage” offline, meaning if everything died and collapsed tomorrow, you’d still have your bitcoins and access to them.

I understand all that. I'm a software architect. If everything collapsed tomorrow, what would that printed out wallet do for you?

#5727 3 years ago

So don't buy the company, according to your singular experience - it will never work.
Same with the people complaining how crappy Pinterest is and that nobody would ever use is
If you are not comfortable with a business, you should not buy the stock.
But .... sometimes you have to look outside your immediate bubble when evaluating a business/stock

Doesn't it help to hear both pros and cons for something you want to invest in? Is it only ok to post reasons to buy something, but not reasons not to buy? I want to hear both sides of the story and make my own decisions.

#5731 3 years ago

I used to drink the 100k bitcoin kool-aid too

Some of my co-workers bought in when BTC was $20k back in 2017 I think it was. They aren't too fond of crypto now.

But I have other co-workers that mined bitcoin when it was under $10/coin and they are millionaires now.

#5734 3 years ago

Sure, I know a guy who invested in Amazon at 20 bucks a share pre splits.
What's that got to do with the price of tea in china?

Depending on your cost basis, BTC is either the best thing mankind ever invented or hot garbage? I lean towards the latter.

#5737 3 years ago

Here we go, now I have some skin in the TDOC game. Will make $600 in 9 days if it's over $180. If not, rinse and repeat.

tdoc (resized).JPGtdoc (resized).JPG
#5740 3 years ago

I was just joking - the stock is trash

I'll send you a paypal donation link next Friday.

#5759 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

ARK etf buys on 11/17. fwiw
Today Ark Invest:
Bought:
$U, $45.6M
$TDOC, $45.2M
$SHOP, $17.4M
$DOCU, $7M
$FSLY, $6.8M
$NTDOY, $5.1M
$TSLA, $4.5M

I've been getting Arks trade e-mail for a few weeks. Looks like they sold a lot of growth stocks today including 120,000 shares of PINS. They'll buy it back lower I'm sure.

#5771 3 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Catherine Wood is so disruptive!

I got the impression she might be forced out early next year. There's a takeover plan in place.

"Wood is “disappointed” that Resolute and its private equity owner, Kelso & Company, have issued this “unwelcome notice that they intend to seize control of our business,” she said in a statement. “We do not believe that equity ownership by a party tangential to our business is in the best interest of ARK’s stakeholders.”

#5785 3 years ago
Quoted from vglohaus:

Long time lurker, first time posting on this topic. All the information you guys share is great. What is the best site/app to buy and sell stocks through? Beginner looking to pick up a few stocks to hold for months/years, definitely not day trading. Any help/advice is much appreciate. Thanks!

It used to matter, with different brokerages charging different fees for each trade. They all went to free trades last year. I don't know that it matters much anymore. If you have much to invest, look to see which ones give you bonus money with your first deposit. Ameritrade and E-trade are great. Even Vanguard is fine for individual stocks if you don't need to trade in the pre-market, and they have the lowest fees if you get into ETFs and mutual funds. I consolidated all my accounts with Vanguard so I can see them all together. I have 5 IRAs and a brokerage account there.

#5856 3 years ago

and these,
but if you have not, look into the company and the number of brands they own including the most recent acquisition [quoted image]

My kid is eating a bag of those a day.

1 week later
#5937 3 years ago

WKHS is getting slammed today too. My cousin made $120k on it on two trades. Bought around $3 and sold at $22. Bought again at $15 and sold at $28. He's planning to get back in soon on this drop.

Meanwhile I shorted PTON at 114 and covered at 111 for some lunch money....

#5938 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

ZM is another "verb" stock like Docusign and is a buy and long term hold, adding on dips.

I don't really get the Zoom story long term. They were worth what, $130B market cap? We use them at work. We used them before they IPO'd. They don't have much of a moat. We also use Skype and Go To Meeting at times for the same thing. They all have issues with freezing, dropped calls, voices going into robot mode, etc. Even thought we use it daily, I've never heard a co-worker use Zoom as a verb. It's always "go start the meeting", "set up a call".

#5941 3 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

I was looking at jumping in on SPG but may be a little too late on that one.
What are some other "in the ditch" stocks as Ice calls them that should bounce back when things return to normal? I'm already in on RRGB, AAL, CCL, UAL, MAC, couple others. Seen nice returns on those so far (except for MAC, but it will come).
Any others still out there that it's not too late to look at?

SPG is still down quite a bit from pre-covid. I'd like to get in, but would like a dip as well.

I keep watching WBA. They've been garbage for years (I've owned it for a couple). They surged about 35% on the vaccine news, then the Amazon Pharmacy news smacked them back down about 15%. They are at 38 now and should go back to mid 50s at least once Covid passes. Covid destroyed their European business this year. Dividend aristocrat that pays around 5% dividend and has raised it for 46 years straight. Once Covid is over, they'll be agressively buying back shares again too.

#5943 3 years ago

With RKT back down to 20, I bought 1000 shares and sold some 12/31 covered calls on them. That will protect them down to about $18.50. Max profit about $2000 if it's over $20.50 at the end of the month.

#5947 3 years ago
Quoted from Dano:

Anyone jumping on the airbnb train next week?

It feels like you can jump on any IPO these days and ride the first surge. Airbnb feels like another Lyft or Uber though (companies that will probably never be profitable).

#5948 3 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

I keep watching WBA. They've been garbage for years (I've owned it for a couple). They surged about 35% on the vaccine news, then the Amazon Pharmacy news smacked them back down about 15%. They are at 38 now and should go back to mid 50s at least once Covid passes. Covid destroyed their European business this year. Dividend aristocrat that pays around 5% dividend and has raised it for 46 years straight. Once Covid is over, they'll be agressively buying back shares again too.

WBA is up about 8% since I posted this yesterday. Big move for an old fashioned company and one of the most hated stocks on wall street the last couple years.

#5960 3 years ago

That SNOW pop today is wild. Up 25% off the after hours lows yesterday, and Microsoft had a press release announcing new competition for them. I played with fire and shorted 100 shares a couple hours ago and covered already for about $600 gain. It sure seems like it's got a long way to fall though.

My WBA shares are up $20k in two days. Sadly I'm still underwater on them. I sold off my swing shares, but I'm still holding my core position.

#5963 3 years ago
Quoted from vex:

RIOT 52 week high today. Up 187% in one month and nobody talking about it here. Makes me even more bullish.

I was following it during the last mania. I think it's still only 1/3 of what it got to then. Back when all those worthless companies were adding blockchain to their names and going up hundreds of percent overnight. Remember when Long Island Ice Tea changed their name to Long Island Blockchain and went up 200% overnight?

#6010 3 years ago

I was getting ready to post the same article. I saw it last night. I sold my Tanger last week, but still glad to see it's not on there. It doesn't have as much risk from big anchor stores.

#6021 3 years ago
Quoted from loren3233:

Ameritrade is showing this IPO as starting off at $42 a share and starts selling at some time today. Anybody going to jump in or wait for the IPO dust to settle?

Vanguard is showing it with a bid of 62, ask of 65. Don't think you're going to get it anywhere near the IPO.

#6024 3 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

Vanguard is showing it with a bid of 62, ask of 65. Don't think you're going to get it anywhere near the IPO.

Now 78-81

#6050 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Brad and Jussi are my two Reit guys!
Phenomenal research
Brad has a great tracker that breaks down the entire sector and various sub sectors

Wasn't Brad screaming to buy Tanger for years from 40 all the way down to single digits? He's been ridiculed for that forever.

#6095 3 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

I used to buy and sell the same stock 4-5 times. I make money the first 3-4 times but then Im usually stuck with a long hold or double down. Just when you think you found a pattern the market changes

I was going to post the same thing. Usually around the third try at the same trade it goes against you. I'm bad about holding the losing trade. I'll win 9 trades, then lose enough on the one loss to wipe out the 9 gains.

#6118 3 years ago
Quoted from Darkstar1234:

Can anyone explain how call option premiums can waiver this much on a flat day? How does this happen? ARKK closed at $124.30 (+.04%)Thanks!
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

It makes sense for the ones expiring this week to drop fast since they are so close to expiration. The others losses seem a bit steep. The VIX dropped almost 9% yesterday and that means overall option premiums will drop since the market is expected to be less volatile with a lower VIX.

#6207 3 years ago

PTON went from 117 to 166 in 8 days. That seems a bit extreme to me. I'm shorting a couple hundred, but selling some puts to protect it a bit.

Also sold WKHS and PSTH that I bought Friday for about $1k gains. Probably going to get back in PSTH on a drop. WKHS is more for swing trading.

#6248 3 years ago

Quite the beatdown in the bubble growth stocks this morning. Buy the dip or wait?

I bought 100 SNOW at $306 and sold a covered call on it. It's down over 30% from recent highs.

#6294 3 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Anyone skeptical on PSTH has not done their proper due diligence on it.

My issue with PSTH is that Ackman is a complete tool. Remember his years long crusade against Herbalife that he lost over a billion dollars on? Then his stunt back in the spring when he was on CNBC crying, trying to scare investors into selling their investments, while simultaneously taking opposite positions.

#6304 3 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Let's also not forget Bill made one of the best trades ever recorded this year- the "tool" turned $27M into $2.6B in only a few weeks.

Yes that's his actions from March that I was referring to:

"Pershing Square manager Bill Ackman turned a net profit of more than $2 billion on Monday after he sold his bets against the market less than one week after warning CNBC that “hell is coming” and imploring the White House to shut down the country for a month"

Right at the same time he said Hilton and all other hotels were going to zero, while he was in fact adding to his position in Hilton. Nothing to see here....

#6306 3 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Whether you want to believe it or not, but this is how Wall Street works. Everyone does it. I don't think ethics are a prerequisite for being a successful hedge fund manager which is why every single one of them do whatever it takes to make money and show returns for their clients.
With that said, no reason to doubt PSTH because of this

Yes they do. Most have the decency not to flaunt it though

I posted last week that I did a swing long trade on a couple thousand share of PSTH. Made a little on it. Would have made a lot more if I still was holding it. The further it gets above its initial price, the more nervous I get about it. There's no guarantee they make a purchase, or if the purchase they make causes the price to surge. I wouldn't want to buy at $27, just to have them give you back $20 with interest.

#6308 3 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

I encourage you to do some more research on it for sure. Ackman has stated many times that the target is on track for 1Q 2021, so as early as January.
What other stock guarantees you a floor price? Buy at $27, and the lowest it can go is $20 + interest. One of the safest investments on the market right now.
Plus, there is a warrant structure as well.. hence the "tontine" name. If you hold your shares through the merger, you will be awarded with 2 warrants per 9 shares owned which is substantial. Each warrant can be redeemed for $23. The more people who sell their shares before the merger, the more warrants you get with up to 6(!) warrants per 9 shares owned. It's huge. Many people have not taken the time to really dig into this SPAC and understand how well it is structured versus other SPACs. I don't see it being less than $45-$60/share in the first half of 2021.
Also, Ackman does not take any type of management fees or royalties like other SPACs.. he only benefits if the stock price surges after merger. Typically, SPAC owners benefit in some way.
I personally think this is structured to take a Fintech business like Stripe public... but what do I know. They did recently place Jackie Reses on the board of PSTH, and she just left Square which is a competitor to Stripe. She also just recently updated her Twitter bio to reflect that ... and mentions she is now a "Fintech investor".
Stripe would be MASSIVE.
Here is Jackie's info on the PSTH website: https://pstontine.com/team/jacqueline-d-reses/

What's the drawback of putting all your money in this and selling December 2021 covered calls on it? If it can't go lower than $20, you could sell $20 calls for about $11. Buy shares at $27. You're "guaranteed" a $4/share return in 12 months. 15% guaranteed return in this market? I'd think most money managers would take that. Sure you'll miss the 100% or whatever and tie up your money for a year, but beats a savings account....

#6310 3 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Excellent thinking ..
I've been in this with 90% of my accounts doing just that. Selling covered calls the entire time since July when it IPOd. But usually only 1 month out and letting them expire worthless. I've collected $15K/month in covered call premium since, and this month because I traded them and closed early I'll bank about $20K in covered call premium.
If I added this altogether, my cost average if factoring in covered call premiums is easily sub $20/share now.
SPACs with options like PSTH are a gift.

That's similar to what I was planning to do a couple weeks ago. I sold Feb 21 $30 covered calls. The share price was still on a downtrend at the time and I didn't like what I was seeing. I bought back the calls for a gain, then sold the shares soon after when they got above my buy price. I was hoping to repeat that at a lower share price, but it's gone up almost every day since.

#6315 3 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

So while everyone is selling off on the last day I bought some small positions in NLY, NET, AI and FVRR
I have to say that buying anything where we currently are feels very painful and wrong. But...that being said, I said the same thing when we were at 27k...so...yolo.

Yah it feels icky. I'm mostly cash, but I've been selling a few puts out a couple weeks for some things about 10% lower than they are now. Either I'll get assigned at more reasonable prices or I'll collect a bit of premium. Better than sitting on cash doing nothing.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

$ 18.95
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.95
568 posts in this topic match your search for posts by loneacer. You are on page 1 of 3.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider loneacer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stock-market-traders/page/1?tu=loneacer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.