IMG_3037 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2908 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7658 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240226-151719 (resized).png
Screenshot_20240226-151210 (resized).png
IMG_1493 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0470 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 20,830 posts in this topic. You are on page 193 of 417.
#9601 3 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

I just tried a limit order on a bullshit stock I had. The damn thing sold instantly! I set it so if it hit 13 to sell (Had it at 13.67) just to practice and it sold! Unless I’m doing something wrong?

Was 13 less than the current price? If so, it would have sold instantly. You want limits set higher than the current price.

#9602 3 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

Was 13 less than the current price? If so, it would have sold instantly. You want limits set higher than the current price.

I think he was trying to set a Stop Limit and accidentally selected Limit.

#9603 3 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Sounds like it. Can stops be used in afterhours trading? I never tried. Seems they'd be easy to hit on a stock with large spreads.

#9604 3 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

I was trying to prevent losses by selling the stock if it hit 13 bucks after hours. It was at 13.67 and I used limit and Yes, After going back I messed up (another rookie mistake) and used Limit.

So which one do I use next time?

C0B99AC8-7DBC-42C8-84F3-105EEA6E51D4 (resized).jpegC0B99AC8-7DBC-42C8-84F3-105EEA6E51D4 (resized).jpeg
#9605 3 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

I was trying to prevent losses by selling the stock if it hit 13 bucks after hours. It was at 13.67 and I used limit and Yes, After going back I messed up (another rookie mistake) and used Limit.
So which one do I use next time?
[quoted image]

Keep in mind stops won't protect you overnight. Some people have a stock at $100, set a stop at $95, then bad earnings cause the stock to open the next day at $80. They think they were saved because they had a $95 stop, but that won't help when the stock gaps down overnight.

#9606 3 years ago
Quoted from Lamberger:

Jumped in on MGM, Ice mentioned it. Lots of chatter about it recently.

Hope Ice comes back soon.

#9607 3 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

I had my finger on some $5 calls a month out. Just couldn't pull the trigger. Good luck.

Thanks, so far so good 30 minutes into after hours. *knocks on wood*

#9608 3 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

Keep in mind stops won't protect you overnight.

Is that true for every broker? I've been using Webull where I can trade after hours and before open. Unfortunately I cannot set a trailing stop order that is good til canceled. Meaning, it expires once the day is over. Would really like to set a trailing stop on some of these penny stocks I am investing in. Once they get up to a profit margin that I like, I want to set a trailing stop of say 10% that is good til canceled.

#9609 3 years ago

Holy crap, OGI is spiking like crazy!!

#9610 3 years ago
Quoted from Palmer:

Is that true for every broker? I've been using Webull where I can trade after hours and before open. Unfortunately I cannot set a trailing stop order that is good til canceled. Meaning, it expires once the day is over. Would really like to set a trailing stop on some of these penny stocks I am investing in. Once they get up to a profit margin that I like, I want to set a trailing stop of say 10% that is good til canceled.

They might work in after hours, but they definitely won't work between when after hours closes and premarket opens the next day. Stocks can instantly gap up or down during after hours though. Earnings can come out at 4:15 and cause a stock to move 10% instantly, so a stop won't help if it's somewhere in that range that gets skipped over.

#9611 3 years ago
Quoted from stubborngamer:

Thanks, so far so good 30 minutes into after hours. *knocks on wood*

Looks like the right call so far....to the moon!

#9612 3 years ago

With the abysmal service I've received from eTrade, (including being on hold for over 4 hours), and failure to exercise options... I'm taking my money and switching brokers. Any recommendations? I'm thinking maybe TD, their Thinkorswim platform is pretty good. Please share any advice you have.

#9613 3 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

With the abysmal service I've received from eTrade, (including being on hold for over 4 hours), and failure to exercise options... I'm taking my money and switching brokers. Any recommendations? I'm thinking maybe TD, their Thinkorswim platform is pretty good. Please share any advice you have.

I use TD for day trades, Vanguard for Mutual/IRA/SEP. No complaints with TD. Everyone seems satisfied with Fidelity also. WeBull, RobinHood, Etrade, Schwab I've heard various complaints about.

#9614 3 years ago

Rookie question: Why do some stocks keep moving even after "after-hours" trading is over? Are other markets in other countries trading and moving the stocks? I just noticed this with OGI. It was over 7 when the bell rang, then it dipped to 6.50.

#9615 3 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Rookie question: Why do some stocks keep moving even after "after-hours" trading is over? Are other markets in other countries trading and moving the stocks? I just noticed this with OGI. It was over 7 when the bell rang, then it dipped to 6.50.

After hours trading goes until 5PM PST. Other markets also start in the early hours.

#9616 3 years ago

E*TRADE, TD, VG, Fidelity all have been fine with me.

Here is a neat trick tho. Look around and see what company is offering you to move. Sometimes it’s thousands of dollars if you have a lot of assets.

You done even have to move but ask your broker if they’ll match the offer if you stay.

Vanguard was not able to but E*TRADE did for me.

Here’s an example up to $3500 free money to transfer to some brokerages.

https://www.moneycrashers.com/best-brokerage-account-promotions-bonus-offers/

#9617 3 years ago

MBRX getting some attention. Its depressed from its IPO at $40 (some reverse splits), currently trading around $5, but is getting price targets of $18 to $30. It has several trials in the pipeline and has partnered with mayo. Might be worth a small play, but as always, do your DD and this is not financial advice.

#9618 3 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

I'm on the fence with dumping my PLTR before the unlock, I like the stock long term and am up about 25%. Is the play to sell Thursday then rebuy on the expected dip after the unlock?

I am just holding long term whatever happens over the next couple months. I bought early but added more at $24 and $32. I have thousands of shares.

To me PLTR has Rock star billionaire founders including “the Don” of the PayPal mafia. They don’t need to dump stock because they are already rich. They have an FU attitude towards Silicon Valley and Wall Street,waited 17 years to launch and announcing earnings in the Premarket after a Holiday. I mean it’s possible they announce bad earnings in the morning and have to see their stock get punished all day, bad headlines and have Wall Street suits and large tech players laugh at them and later the founders dump a boatload of shares as soon as they can, but not probable.

What is probable is PLTR will have big swings both ways over the next month or so, so traders can play that.

Earnings are Feb 16 Premarket with Monday market closed so plan accordingly over the next couple of day’s.

#9619 3 years ago

Had a bit of FOMO after hours and bought into SNDL and APHA. I got CRUSHED by weed plays a few years ago and have avoided. And Im guessing Im chasing now but wanted to have a bit of skin in the game. Well see howw it goes.....

#9620 3 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Same. I also bought some MGM a few days ago, and some APPL. I’m in it for the long haul...

#9621 3 years ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

Had a bit of FOMO after hours and bought into SNDL and APHA. I got CRUSHED by weed plays a few years ago and have avoided. And Im guessing Im chasing now but wanted to have a bit of skin in the game. Well see howw it goes.....

It’s all a balance of FOMO and FOBI (being in)

#9622 3 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

MBRX getting some attention. Its depressed from its IPO at $40 (some reverse splits), currently trading around $5, but is getting price targets of $18 to $30. It has several trials in the pipeline and has partnered with mayo. Might be worth a small play, but as always, do your DD and this is not financial advice.

Thanks!

#9623 3 years ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

These pot stocks scare me. They could crash at any moment of biden says no legalization. But I also thought that last week before they all nearly doubled in value

#9624 3 years ago
Quoted from captainadam_21:

These pot stocks scare me. They could crash at any moment of biden says no legalization. But I also thought that last week before they all nearly doubled in value

Long term, every election cycle more states legalize pot, it's not going away. My state was one of the first, it was interesting to watch a bunch of my friends start legal growing and distribution and lose a bunch of money on it. Then more organized corporate business minded people and companies came in and bought them out for cheap. Same thing has happened with the pot stores, all the smaller ones closed or were bought out by small chains looking to get bigger. It's just determining which are going to be the companies most suited to survive as the industry figures itself out, companies get bought out, consolidation happens, etc. But if you bet on the right company and hold long, who knows how much money they could earn you.

#9625 3 years ago

I did very well with Aurora, Aphira and Canopy back a few years ago.. they got me started. Still playing with those profits today. More interested in stable long term company's now...Less risk. Check the profits in Canada with our population, it's legal here... Be careful with some weed plays, some are empty fields of nothing shell company's. DD

#9626 3 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

HCMC is up 86%....Wonder if there is any insider knowledge on the PM lawsuit. I bought at .0015.
EDIT: Would appear they are converting shares.

Where do you penny stockers do your research on stocks? So far I'm following Alex Delarge on twitter lol. I bought 180 shares of PVDG just to ensure my account worked. Im rich!

#9627 3 years ago

Glad I held on tight to PINS and added more on the dip yesterday, my largest position.

#9628 3 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Where do you penny stockers do your research on stocks? So far I'm following Alex Delarge on twitter lol. I bought 180 shares of PVDG just to ensure my account worked. Im rich!

Everywhere...I'm an information hound. I monitor lots of message boards, and if I pick up an increase in chatter, I'll start to do my own independent research to corroborate. Some of the Hedge funds are now running algorithms to do the same, so I figure if it's good for them, it's good for me.

#9629 3 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

If you have enough money in your Etrade account your get a personal Rep you can call and email direct

#9630 3 years ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

I got crushed also - some of my cannabis stocks were down 50-60% and more in 2019, but I just kept buying and averaging down

Now they are all up 300%+
Sometimes you just have to stick with a thesis if you know it's correct - that's the difference between trading and investing

True that, but the major thing going for all these stocks is State Tax Revenue - As a result of the pandemic, states are really hurting for tax revenue
One look at what CO brought in last year will get them to change there mind about their states laws.
https://www.denverpost.com/2019/06/12/colorado-marijuana-revenue-one-billion/

#9631 3 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

True that, but the major thing going for all these stocks is State Tax Revenue - As a result of the pandemic, states are really hurting for tax revenue
One look at what CO brought in last year will get them to change there mind about their states laws.
https://www.denverpost.com/2019/06/12/colorado-marijuana-revenue-one-billion/

And that alot of countries are pushing for it's legality and we, your neighbours to the north, already have it legalized.

#9632 3 years ago
Quoted from Lamberger:

I did very well with Aurora, Aphira and Canopy back a few years ago.. they got me started. Still playing with those profits today. More interested in stable long term company's now...Less risk. Check the profits in Canada with our population, it's legal here... Be careful with some weed plays, some are empty fields of nothing shell company's. DD

Same here, I did very well on cannabis stocks in 2018, then lost half my gains in 2019. Look at APHA and Tilray with combined market cap of $18 billion. By the end of today, they will be over $20 billion. Well I hope Canntrust can get their act in gear, still sitting on a bunch of shares waiting for them to start trading again. They are selling product again, which is a start.

https://www.thestar.com/business/2021/01/20/canntrust-to-create-50m-trust-to-settle-lawsuits-signs-restructuring-agreement.html

#9633 3 years ago

I am a bit bearish on the weed stock frenzy. They are overvalued and will be coming back to earth soon. People claiming to be jumping into TLRY, SNDL and APHA because of sentiment about the US legalizing weed....do they not realize these are Canadian companies with no US marketing exposure? I did make a nice little chunk yesterday afternoon on SNDL as it shot up, but already exited with a nice gain. Shot up to $4.50+ overnight, but is back under $4 again at the moment. I do not think there is any way this run can sustain itself.

APHA is interesting though, as it is less than half the price of TLRY still, but their shares are supposed to be converting to .8381 TLRY shares at the merger date. APHA should be at about $55 right now given those numbers. I am guessing TLRY comes back down to earth a bit, and APHA goes up. APHA can't seem to break $30/share at the moment though.

#9634 3 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

I am a bit bearish on the weed stock frenzy. They are overvalued and will be coming back to earth soon. People claiming to be jumping into TLRY, SNDL and APHA because of sentiment about the US legalizing weed....do they not realize these are Canadian companies with no US marketing exposure? I did make a nice little chunk yesterday afternoon on SNDL as it shot up, but already exited with a nice gain. Shot up to $4.50+ overnight, but is back under $4 again at the moment. I do not think there is any way this run can sustain itself.
APHA is interesting though, as it is less than half the price of TLRY still, but their shares are supposed to be converting to .8381 TLRY shares at the merger date. APHA should be at about $55 right now given those numbers. I am guessing TLRY comes back down to earth a bit, and APHA goes up. APHA can't seem to break $30/share at the moment though.

My sentiments...Also made 3x on SNDL. I originally bought SNDL as a long sustained growth stock. I expected maybe $3 to $5 by end of year. When it shot up to $3 literally in one day, I knew the hype train was pumping this and others and it was time to take some profit. When it drops back I may dip back in to hold.

#9635 3 years ago

Holy PINS....

#9636 3 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Holy PINS....

News that Microsoft may acquire them

#9637 3 years ago

Glad I nibbled during the dip. Wish I had gone whole hog.

Quoted from Zablon:

Holy PINS....

#9638 3 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

News that Microsoft may acquire them

People misread that news. Which means it will come back down.

#9639 3 years ago

PINS back up today on news that Microsoft tried to acquire them after failed bid for Tik Tok. PINS said NO and wants to remain independent.

Fwiw, Motley fool is all over PINS across many of their services. It's not $12 anymore like it was in April of the Covid dip when we were buying all the way up BUT........

Boom boom

#9640 3 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Bought a ton of MGM and EPD this past week for clients and myself.

PXD, HFC part of that shorter term trade. MAR, BKNG etc. BHP, VALE, RIO for the miners even though Powell says he is NOT worried about sustained inflation!

"re-open" trade. Energy is igniting. The current administration policy is helping it along by constraining supply and it's desire to drive up prices.

#9641 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Look at APHA and Tilray with combined market cap of $18 billion. By the end of today, they will be over $20 billion.

That didn't take long for them to tank.

#9642 3 years ago

Phew, got out of ogi before the mega tank. Crazy.

Now of course thoughts of do you buy the dip start dancing in your head.

#9643 3 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

I was looking at that yesterday, I thought I was using the wrong ratio. Probably could use puts and calls to somehow make some arbitrage with this disparity.

#9644 3 years ago

Nakd is doing quite well today. My limit sell at $2.15 executed before I finished my coffee this morning.

#9645 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

That didn't take long for them to tank.

That's exactly what I was suspicious of. The whole sector went crazy yesterday, and I just had the feeling it was a pump and dump hype drive. I hope warnings were heeded to watch like a hawk and take your profits.

#9646 3 years ago
Quoted from stubborngamer:

Phew, got out of ogi before the mega tank. Crazy.
Now of course thoughts of do you buy the dip start dancing in your head.

Hate predicting the bottom though, will wait for it to show some strength even if it means losing out. Will just watch while eating popcorn until then. Something definitely smells fishy.

#9647 3 years ago

I made a nice little return this past month on the weed stocks. I started cashing out yesterday when some of these companies were being valued in the tens of billions.

Keeping my eye out for the dip to buy back in in the near future though.

#9648 3 years ago
Quoted from marioparty34:

Nakd is doing quite well today. My limit sell at $2.15 executed before I finished my coffee this morning.

Of course I got tired of holding it for weeks with nothing happening and sold at $1.10 Monday.
Plus not a good pre market to get into pot stocks

#9649 3 years ago

HCMC continues its steady climb. Could be a whole penny by next week. 100x more and someone's getting a free pinball machine

#9650 3 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

HCMC continues its steady climb. Could be a whole penny by next week. 100x more and someone's getting a free pinball machine

I got in yesterday with a big 25,000 shares. My highest holding ever!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy
Protection
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Backbox
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Boards
PinSound
Boards
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
There are 20,830 posts in this topic. You are on page 193 of 417.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stock-market-traders/page/193 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.