Image 4-6-24 at 11.42?AM (resized).jpeg
IMG_7948 (resized).jpeg
kuiil-have-spoken.gif
200w.gif
gold24 (resized).jpg
counting_coins_02.gif
IMG_1659 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 21,019 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 421.
#901 5 years ago
Quoted from smailskid:

I agree with you that the market will likely dip significantly in the next ten years or sooner.....but..... when? and by how much? How much could it rise between now and when this significant correction hits? After you have sold, when will you know it is the right time to buy back in? To make money you have to make 2 correct decisions...when to get out and when to get back in.
So I agree....if you sell it right and buy it right you can save/make money and yes you don't have to be perfect.
I could go on but in general, while you could be right this time, it is not best the way to invest long term for the average investor.
However its your money..... If you have a well thought out thesis and great confidence that you are right..... then there is only one thing to do and that is back up your conviction with $$$$.
Personally I think it is a game that most will lose over time.

I agree about doing it as a philosophy throughout a career will likely not work out. I have personally done it twice. Once I lost a small amount of gain (maybe 5%) because I did not think it through well before acting and I ended up sweating for many months hoping to get a decent price to buy back in while fearing the market was going to go up big, and the second I saved a small amount of losses (maybe 8%). I feel this time is different because we are in a time of unprecedented upturn and I also have age in my favor unlike when I was 38 or 43. If I did it this time I would go in with conviction that I would not buy back ever unless the price is below where I sold while also gaining about 2% on very safe bonds. Sitting out would also provide the benefit of protecting my retirement savings and I am looking at 8.5 years to be eligible for full retirement. I don't really want to go through another 30 to 40% drop again like we did in the 2006-2008 era.

#902 5 years ago
Quoted from smailskid:

Ideally these would be treated as two accounts in one portfolio with the same objective. You seem to be looking at them as separate entities.

They are separate entities. We have separate financial resources and divide the expenses fairly equally for personal reasons.

#903 5 years ago

Stock dividend are also 2% fwiw

bonds aren’t giving anything except they are less likely to lose money (safety) but you pay for that safety with lower returns.

If you had stocks and bonds say 70:30 you’d never have to worry because you’d have best if both which is what most people do especially as they get older.

If stocks drop you’ll have greater percentage in bonds which you can trade out for stocks (rebalance).

There is a lot more proven benefits to asset allocation with rebalancing than there is for timing the market.

#904 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

What if the market continues to rise for the next year? You’d need to wait for it to just come back below today’s price.
It doesn’t work. You are not smarter than everyone else in the world, we don’t know what the market will do tomorrow let alone next week or next year.

It does work if I don't need to get back in but was keeping that as an option. The market could go up 20% in the next 12 months (unlikely but possible) and I would be fine missing out on that rise. If it did go back at least 5% below where I sold after the 20% rise sometime years from now then I would have done better than if I stayed in throughout. I also have the option to work longer than my full retirement date if I need to make more money later.

#905 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Stock dividend are also 2% fwiw
bonds aren’t giving anything except they are less likely to lose money (safety) but you pay for that safety with lower returns.
If you had stocks and bonds say 70:30 you’d never have to worry because you’d have best if both which is what most people do especially as they get older.
If stocks drop you’ll have greater percentage in bonds which you can trade out for stocks (rebalance).
There is a lot more proven benefits to asset allocation with rebalancing than there is for timing the market.

I am referring to a limited fund choice 401k type situation so individual stocks are not in this equation as an option. Individual stocks are for personal savings in this case which is a different issue for me. I also have limitations because of my job as to how much I can put in investment sectors. Believe me, I wish I could buy about triple the Apple stock I presently own.

#906 5 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

2 - New people to trading should stay away from options.

For sure, there are brokers that don’t fully understand options. It’s inportant to understand options thoroughly before trading them

#907 5 years ago
Quoted from Londonpinball:

Thanks for the tip,
You don’t trade ur own options? You call a broker ?
What size trade was the last one you posted ?
Do you recommend any books on option trading ?

Most companies won’t let you trade your own options without approval, then naked options is another level.

#908 5 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I agree about doing it as a philosophy throughout a career will likely not work out. I have personally done it twice. Once I lost a small amount of gain (maybe 5%) because I did not think it through well before acting and I ended up sweating for many months hoping to get a decent price to buy back in while fearing the market was going to go up big, and the second I saved a small amount of losses (maybe 8%). I feel this time is different because we are in a time of unprecedented upturn and I also have age in my favor unlike when I was 38 or 43. If I did it this time I would go in with conviction that I would not buy back ever unless the price is below where I sold while also gaining about 2% on very safe bonds. Sitting out would also provide the benefit of protecting my retirement savings and I am looking at 8.5 years to be eligible for full retirement. I don't really want to go through another 30 to 40% drop again like we did in the 2006-2008 era.

Impossible to actually give specific advice without knowing the specifics of your situation. But in general sounds like you could be unnecessarily taking on to much risk in going to 100% bonds in your 401k account ....unless the majority of your savings is held in your unqualified accounts. It also sounds like you feel you are to heavy in stocks. Again I would develop an asset allocation and stick with it.

#909 5 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Anyone here trade the market? We are currently nearing Dow 20K and thought this would be a good time to make a thread and see what other pinheads trade or invest in the market.
I am a short term trader, with about 90% of my trades lasting less then a week. I have been doing this for almost 15 years now.
As of today, I have decided to short the stock market here using the DXD ETF (long a large position at $14.00 even) and also using TVIX (ETF that tracks VIX futures, not the VIX itself - highly risky and not an investment ETF by a longshot) avg of $10.17. I will sell on a big spike / market decline and lock in profit, or cut losses quickly if I am wrong (stop loss at $13.00 on DXD and $9.00 on TVIX)
Currently the Dow is at its most overbought levels I have seen in many years, and DXD is the most oversold I have seen it.
The Fed meeting going on between today and tomorrow should result in a rate hike, which is supposedly priced in. I am expecting a 'sell the news' scenario and a large pullback.
Good luck to anyone long in the market right now.. in my opinion, today would be a great day to sell and buy back on a bigger pullback. It should be getting turbulent out there very soon.
“Be Fearful When Others Are Greedy and Greedy When Others Are Fearful”
-Warren Buffet

Epic fail. Hope no one followed your advice.

#910 5 years ago
Quoted from smailskid:

Impossible to actually give specific advice without knowing the specifics of your situation. But in general sounds like you could be unnecessarily taking on to much risk in going to 100% bonds in your 401k account ....unless the majority of your savings is held in your unqualified accounts. It also sounds like you feel you are to heavy in stocks. Again I would develop an asset allocation and stick with it.

In my case, if and when I put the 401k type money in the bond fund, it is a government backed bond that cannot lose money. The only way it would lose is in the case of a collapse of the government. In that case everybody would lose anyway.

#911 5 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

In my case, if and when I put the 401k type money in the bond fund, it is a government backed bond that cannot lose money. The only way it would lose is in the case of a collapse of the government. In that case everybody would lose anyway.

Government bonds can and do lose value. If you buy a bond yielding 2% and rates rise to 3%, you will have to sell your bond at a discount in order to induce a buyer to purchase yours over the new one at 3%. The only way you are guaranteed to not lose money is purchasing a bond at or below par and holding to maturity, which is rare.

A LOT of bond funds have lost money over the last year as interest rates have gone up.

#912 5 years ago
Quoted from jcoble:

Government bonds can and do lose value. If you buy a bond yielding 2% and rates rise to 3%, you will have to sell your bond at a discount in order to induce a buyer to purchase yours over the new one at 3%. The only way you are guaranteed to not lose money is purchasing a bond at or below par and holding to maturity, which is rare.
A LOT of bond funds have lost money over the last year as interest rates have gone up.

It is kind of like a savings bond which also cannot lose value:

https://www.tspinvesting.com/g-fund/
"G Fund
The G Fund is by far the safest fund offered by the Thrift Savings Plan, hands down, it is truly a remarkable security. It’s one of the very few instances in the investment world where you literally cannot go wrong. This fund allows investors to earn interest rates similar to those of long-term U.S. Treasury Bonds, but without any risk or loss of their capital. The TSP G Fund is managed by the Federal Retirement Thrift Investment Board. The G Fund buys non marketable U.S. Treasury securities that are guaranteed by the U.S. Government. If you don’t remember anything else about the G Fund please remember that you cannot lose the money you invest with this fund and the interest is guaranteed by the U.S. Government."

#913 5 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

G Fund
The G Fund is by far the safest fund offered by the Thrift Savings Plan, hands down, it is truly a remarkable security. It’s one of the very few instances in the investment world where you literally cannot go wrong. This fund allows investors to earn interest rates similar to those of long-term U.S. Treasury Bonds, but without any risk or loss of their capital. The TSP G Fund is managed by the Federal Retirement Thrift Investment Board. The G Fund buys non marketable U.S. Treasury securities that are guaranteed by the U.S. Government. If you don’t remember anything else about the G Fund please remember that you cannot lose the money you invest with this fund and the interest is guaranteed by the U.S. Government.

That is a very specific investment, not available to the general public. While technically it cannot lose value through credit or market risk because of its special governmental status, it is still subject to inflation risk, and its long term performance relative to the stock market (or to even a moderate risk asset allocated portfolio) is abysmal. You are in effect losing money by owning it, but doing so safely in the process.

#914 5 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

The bond losing value was not the risk I was talking about.

Quoted from jcoble:

That is a very specific investment, not available to the general public. While technically it cannot lose value through credit or market risk because of its special governmental status, it is still subject to inflation risk, and its long term performance relative to the stock market (or to even a moderate risk asset allocated portfolio) is abysmal. You are in effect losing money by owning it, but doing so safely in the process.

Yes

#915 5 years ago
Quoted from jcoble:

Yes. The only loss would be the interest value of the bond fund as compared to the inflation. An example, if I had $100,000 in and it got 2% interest I would end up with 102,000 after one year, but the inflation would devalue the buying power. That is also happening with middle class salaries over the last 15 years. Salaries have not been rising nearly as much as the inflation and cost of living.

#916 5 years ago

That is not the only loss. There is the opportunity cost of not owning a moderate risk asset allocated portfolio as mentioned in Jcoble's post.

#917 5 years ago

There is also the opportunity cost. A 60/40 asset allocated portfolio has never lost value over any 5 year period, and also averages almost a 7% annual return, historically. That fund averages about 2%. I'll take the added volatility for over 3x more return any day, even January 1, 2008. (See a chart of FRIAX for an example with that start date. Worst possible time to invest, yet it has still made about 3x the return of your bond fund over the last 10 years.)

#918 5 years ago
Quoted from smailskid:

That is not the only loss. There is the opportunity cost of not owning a moderate risk asset allocated portfolio as mentioned in Jcoble's post.

Hah, I was typing too slow!

#919 5 years ago
Quoted from smailskid:

I don't count that because of other investments that are not in a 401k and are diversified. The only other safe option I have for this 401k type money is a market risk bond fund that usually does about 1.5 % better than the G fund. I would probably do about half G and half the market risk bond fund if I did it.
The problem with the market risk bond fund is that when the interest rates rise the fund goes down and we are headed toward and are due for higher interest rates for years it seems.

2 weeks later
#920 5 years ago

Here are my recent trades. Sorry for the delay.

8/30/18 - Sold 7 Netflix 380 Calls Sept 21 expiration for $9.88

9/5/18 - Bought back the 7 Netflix 380 Calls for $2.35

9/5/18 - Sold 7 Netflix 315 Puts Oct 19 expiration for $10.06

8/30/18 - Bought 1,150 shares of JC Penny (JCP) for $1.73

Why I quickly covered the calls: I was up 76% in less than a week. Gains like that must be locked in every single time.

Why I sold the puts: Stock was way oversold yesterday. I sold the puts when the stock was around $343. I have almost 30 points of cushion, plus the premium I took in.

To review my Netflix. I purchased at $368. With the 2 different times i sold calls on it, I've already locked in $17 of premium, which in essence, lowered my cost basis. With the puts I just sold, that's an additional $10 in premium I have taken in...chances are, I won't let it expire. 99.9% of the time, I always lock in my gains and remove the liability.

As for JC Penny, I will be building a position in this. Looks like they are trying their best to rediscover their customer base. Just look at what some of CEO's are saying about the economy. As a business owner, I can definitely say this is the best economy I've ever seen. IMO, I think this Christmas season will be phenomenal for retailers.

What I like about JC Penny. It's $1.75...that's the most my downside can be. Any small turnaround in the company, and this stock could possibly see $5. That's a tremendous rate of return. Compare it to Walmart, which absolutely is a better run company, but the stock is around $100. Makes it harder to build a big position, plus, I would need Walmart to run up to $250 to get the same pop I could get in JC Penny.

#922 5 years ago

200 bil of China tariffs could hit this week not good

#923 5 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Here are my recent trades. Sorry for the delay.
8/30/18 - Sold 7 Netflix 380 Calls Sept 21 expiration for $9.88
9/5/18 - Bought back the 7 Netflix 380 Calls for $2.35
9/5/18 - Sold 7 Netflix 315 Puts Oct 19 expiration for $10.06
8/30/18 - Bought 1,150 shares of JC Penny (JCP) for $1.73
Why I quickly covered the calls: I was up 76% in less than a week. Gains like that must be locked in every single time.
Why I sold the puts: Stock was way oversold yesterday. I sold the puts when the stock was around $343. I have almost 30 points of cushion, plus the premium I took in.
To review my Netflix. I purchased at $368. With the 2 different times i sold calls on it, I've already locked in $17 of premium, which in essence, lowered my cost basis. With the puts I just sold, that's an additional $10 in premium I have taken in...chances are, I won't let it expire. 99.9% of the time, I always lock in my gains and remove the liability.
As for JC Penny, I will be building a position in this. Looks like they are trying their best to rediscover their customer base. Just look at what some of CEO's are saying about the economy. As a business owner, I can definitely say this is the best economy I've ever seen. IMO, I think this Christmas season will be phenomenal for retailers.
What I like about JC Penny. It's $1.75...that's the most my downside can be. Any small turnaround in the company, and this stock could possibly see $5. That's a tremendous rate of return. Compare it to Walmart, which absolutely is a better run company, but the stock is around $100. Makes it harder to build a big position, plus, I would need Walmart to run up to $250 to get the same pop I could get in JC Penny.

I’m learning a lot from your trades.

One thing is not to be greedy and take a quick profit rather than letting the positions expire months later.

#925 5 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

That link took me to a Fidelity article titled "JD.com CEO was arrested on allegation of rape -police report", but I didn't see much about tariffs.

Two separate post two separate issues

#926 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I’m learning a lot from your trades.

I like that he posts them when he makes them. Much braver than I'll ever be.

#927 5 years ago

Sold 10 Amazon 1,820 puts September 21st for $11.94

#928 5 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Sold 10 Amazon 1,820 puts September 21st for $11.

10 Amzn puts

I’ve been selling a lot of Amazon puts but not at these levels.

#929 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

10 Amzn puts
I’ve been selling a lot of Amazon puts but not at these levels.

12 trading days. Taking my chances it doesn’t drop over $130.

#930 5 years ago

Up over 4 points on the Amazon options that I sold around 1:30pm today....

#931 5 years ago

Just bought 3,850 shares of JC Penny (JCP) @ $1.73

This brings my position up to 5,000 shares.

#932 5 years ago

I bought some Cronos, a marijuana company, as a gamble about two weeks ago. It has been interesting watching it yo-yo.

cronos (resized).JPGcronos (resized).JPG
#933 5 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Just bought 3,850 shares of JC Penny (JCP) @ $1.73
This brings my position up to 5,000 shares.

Catching a falling knife? Why JCP?

#934 5 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I bought some Cronos, a marijuana company, as a gamble about two weeks ago. It has been interesting watching it yo-yo.[quoted image]

Im up 101% on APH.

#935 5 years ago

1 - Downside is $1.73

2 - Surging economy...Christmas this year will be gangbusters for retailers.

3 - They are refocusing on their core customer.

4 - JC Penny represents less than 1% of my trading account.

#936 5 years ago

How low can GE possibility go???

#937 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

How low can GE possibility go???

Along with JCP and Sears:

https://www.macroaxis.com/invest/ratio/GE--Probability-Of-Bankruptcy

#938 5 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

4 - JC Penny represents less than 1% of my trading account.

That's how to do trades not investments yet keep things interesting

#939 5 years ago

railroad stocks is all you need to know!

#940 5 years ago

I bought some weed stocks (Canopy Growth) myself on a lark back in April at $24, figuring the legalization was probably going to skyrocket it come July. My friends laughed and others thought the run up from $10 was all it had to give.

Boom goes the dynamiteBoom goes the dynamite

#941 5 years ago

Sold 7 Netflix Calls October 19th $395 strike price for $10.15

#942 5 years ago

Sold 5 Amazon November $1,820 puts for $55.14.

#943 5 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Sold 5 Amazon November $1,820 puts for $55.14.

7EB54C66-D841-4C31-AC90-86924084B9DD (resized).jpeg7EB54C66-D841-4C31-AC90-86924084B9DD (resized).jpeg

#944 5 years ago

I wanted to do 10, but advisor talked me down to 5.

#945 5 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I wanted to do 10, but advisor talked me down to 5.

Trade made yesterday??

#946 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Trade made yesterday??

Today. Would’ve been a lot more if I did it yesterday.

#947 5 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

I bought some weed stocks (Canopy Growth) myself on a lark back in April at $24, figuring the legalization was probably going to skyrocket it come July. My friends laughed and others thought the run up from $10 was all it had to give.
[quoted image]

I got in a little late....I am long on CGC. Pot stocks are going crazy.

My big winner for 2018 is SFIX, My wife and mother in-law love this company . I have done it a few times and like the service too. Oct 1 is earnings, This will be the rise or fall of this company.

#948 5 years ago

amazon puts are great..I keep selling a week out.
wish I woulda sold the puts yesterday though...little bit scary how much it moves in day. then again thats why its such a premium

#949 5 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

[quoted image]

I sincerely hope this ridiculousness does not not end up affecting our friends north of the US:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/canadian-marijuana-investors-could-face-lifetime-bans-from-entering-us-2018-09-13

#950 5 years ago

Just covered my Amazon $1,820 puts that expire at the end of this week for $1.78.

85% gain in 12 days.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 18.95
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 12.95
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

There are 21,019 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 421.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stock-market-traders/page/19 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.