IMG_7948 (resized).jpeg
kuiil-have-spoken.gif
200w.gif
gold24 (resized).jpg
counting_coins_02.gif
IMG_1659 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 20,997 posts in this topic. You are on page 176 of 420.
#8751 3 years ago

Getting lucky on the silver hype, starting to dump my miners/royalty companies that I was down 15 - 20% and now up 25%+

#8752 3 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I'm listening to the clubhouse interview between Elon and Vlad and this guy has not once apologized for what happened. He doesn't seem sympathetic at all, and sounds really scared and like he's hiding something. He could just be socially awkward, but again, he hasn't apologized at all. I think lawyer wise they probably told him if he does it admits wrongdoing.

As for the one that sounds like he's hiding something, which one are you talking aboot? Elon cannot speak very well on TSLA earnings calls. I sometimes want to take my money and run after he speaks. Big difference form his tweets.

#8753 3 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

AMC and GME charts look identical today.

One notable exception: GME volume is way down at 29M vs 300M for AMC. Noone is actually selling GME it would appear. Just a bunch of inter Hedge trades.

#8754 3 years ago
Quoted from investingdad:

Yep. I probably sound like a broken record to regular posters on this thread because I keep saying the same thing, but trying to say it differently each time so as not to sound like said broken record.
1999 and 2000 were similar. I was a few years out of undergrad, but was getting my MBA. The combination of learning real financial analysis and not having extra money to lose is what spared me any real pain.
There are a handful of posters on here making some complex trades... based on what I think they're doing, those folks appear to have a solid grasp of the complexities and risks.
But there appears to be a lot of irresponsible trading as well. When somebody was bemoaning only being up something like 10% in a few weeks, I felt like I jumped into a flux capacitor powered Delorean and set the time circuits for Feb 2000.

Yup ... 10% a YEAR - used to be considered fantastic returns

#8755 3 years ago

For fun I tried to sell some March out of the money covered calls in NOK via TD Ameritrade.

Nope. Nada. Not even via calling into a broker. They will not allow me to sell options on shares I own.

(Also my account is in good standing. It’s not a new account. Etc)

#8756 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

For fun I tried to sell some March out of the money covered calls in NOK via TD Ameritrade.
Nope. Nada. Not even via calling into a broker. They will not allow me to sell options on shares I own.

That’s totally crazy.

I wonder if it’d be different if you had a million dollar portfolio?

#8757 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

That’s totally crazy.
I wonder if it’d be different if you had a million dollar portfolio?

I got the impression that in the meme stocks, (past present and future) my money is no good. Regardless of amount.

#8758 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

I got the impression that in the meme stocks, (past present and future) my money is no good. Regardless of amount.

I’m at ETRADE haven’t tried to do anything with the meme stocks but I’d be pissed if they said I couldn’t trade covered calls for example.

#8759 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

That's disturbing. I have covered calls on all my positions at Vanguard, including AMC and NOK from late last week.

#8760 3 years ago

Some of my gold stocks are up because of silver. At least that's my assumption as nothing has really been happening with gold of late.

#8761 3 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

Some of my gold stocks are up because of silver. At least that's my assumption as nothing has really been happening with gold of late.

That would be my guess, gold has been on a downward trajectory since last Summer.

#8762 3 years ago
Quoted from Palmer:

I understand the play on GME but not AMC. Feels like AMC is just being pumped up from GME hype and it's only strength is volume. I am not complaining. Have scalped it twice already. From $4 to $17 and then again from $10 to $15. Just seems like all diamond hand emoji, HODL hype. Lots of first time investors who are asking when they should sell, what the PT is. A lot of people diving in without any exit strategy.

I think this is the only play now. I bought it cheap, I'm keep trying to time my sale of my shares at the top and missing the window. I see a lot of people opening new accounts and wanting to buy AMC, but there are tons of shares and the company will just release more shares if the demand continues. Long term holding doesn't seem good at all, once the hype is over, the theaters will still be empty for at least another year, if not longer.

#8763 3 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

I bought at $333 if that makes you feel better? I'm not going to cry if I lose my $2663.56. Hopefully it shines a light on all the bullshit manipulation that ends up screwing the retail investor.
I'm not saying it wouldn't suck to lose the $2,663.56, but for now, I'll just go along for the ride and see what happens.

Same. I bought GME at $342 (which everyone can see a few pages back as I posted on here). I’m not selling and still holding. From what I can see in public information (and I know jack about this stuff) there are still around 62M shares being shorted for around $12B. And like robertmee mentioned, many are not selling. Just the HFs playing with each other. If it drops to zero, sure that would suck, but I’m in for the ride. Ps. Just in case, none of this is investment advice.

#8765 3 years ago

Yep. I probably sound like a broken record to regular posters on this thread because I keep saying the same thing, but trying to say it differently each time so as not to sound like said broken record.
1999 and 2000 were similar. I was a few years out of undergrad, but was getting my MBA. The combination of learning real financial analysis and not having extra money to lose is what spared me any real pain.
There are a handful of posters on here making some complex trades... based on what I think they're doing, those folks appear to have a solid grasp of the complexities and risks.
But there appears to be a lot of irresponsible trading as well. When somebody was bemoaning only being up something like 10% in a few weeks, I felt like I jumped into a flux capacitor powered Delorean and set the time circuits for Feb 2000.

Solid advice, please do keep beating that drum.

The truth is often uninteresting, but simple. It's not going to get youtube views or sell newspapers. I believe that for most the path to financial independence is spending (much) less than you make, putting money into IRA/401k early and often, and parking in index type funds.

I try to max out contributions every year between our retirement accounts and 529s. The one thing I've been doing lately is taking any 'extra' funds beyond that and either pushing it toward our mortgage (our only debt) when I feel the market is inflated, or paying the minimum on the mortage and putting more funds into retirement accounts when I feel the market is on sale.

Out of curiosity, what do you consider to be a realistic rate of return (say over 20 years) to measure retirement position? I see all sorts of differing opinions on that.

I am in on this GME thing right now, but only in an amount I can stand to lose in its entirety. I do quite enjoy learning about all of this, and plan to play around with paper money stuff on Think or Swim to get a real solid understanding. If I think it's something I want to continue, I'd ride a pretty conservative amount of entertainment funds in there, without deviating from my current retirement strategy.

The other thing for people to keep in mind on these short term trades... those damn cap gains taxes.

#8766 3 years ago

AMC just holding steady, most other memes down today. It's going to be a test of patience for WSB on GME. We're now in the lunch dip. If everything continues to decline during the lunch slump and into mid afternoon, does everyone rush to sell? Monday was promised a big day....I could see cracks beginning to form in the rank and file due to a boring trading day or a mini-sell off. Unlike last week's dips, the trading volume was huge as was the volatility, so what quickly lost, quickly rose, and everyone held on. Today it's just meandering comparatively.

#8767 3 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

Solid advice, please do keep beating that drum.
The truth is often uninteresting, but simple. It's not going to get youtube views or sell newspapers. I believe that for most the path to financial independence is spending (much) less than you make, putting money into IRA/401k early and often, and parking in index type funds.
I try to max out contributions every year between our retirement accounts and 529s. The one thing I've been doing lately is taking any 'extra' funds beyond that and either pushing it toward our mortgage (our only debt) when I feel the market is inflated, or paying the minimum on the mortage and putting more funds into retirement accounts when I feel the market is on sale.
Out of curiosity, what do you consider to be a realistic rate of return (say over 20 years) to measure retirement position? I see all sorts of differing opinions on that.
I am in on this GME thing right now, but only in an amount I can stand to lose in its entirety. I do quite enjoy learning about all of this, and plan to play around with paper money stuff on Think or Swim to get a real solid understanding. If I think it's something I want to continue, I'd ride a pretty conservative amount of entertainment funds in there, without deviating from my current retirement strategy.
The other thing for people to keep in mind on these short term trades... those damn cap gains taxes.

My goal in 40 years of investing is to double my money every 7 years which equates to 10% annual return. I've done better than that, due to the last few years.

Re: Cap gains...yes, alot of people new to investing going to be surprised when the tax man calls. Short term gains taxed as regular income tax levels.

#8768 3 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

My goal in 40 years of investing is to double my money every 7 years which equates to 10% annual return. I've done better than that, due to the last few years.

Cool, I love that number. I've been using 9%, and planning on a 3% draw rate or less.

#8769 3 years ago
Quoted from Lamberger:

What longs did you get into? if you don't mind me asking.

We put a lot in some various choices at Vanguard.

#8770 3 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

For the last 80 years, the overall growth of the stock market is 7-10% per year averaged over any 20 year period. Inflation is typically 2-3% so your effective growth is 4-8%. I typically use 7% when calculating my target date for retirement.

#8771 3 years ago
Quoted from TireFryer426:

If you are in the US - Uphold is really good for crypto. I've used coinbase and kraken as well, and moved over to uphold.

Updog also seems very safe and reliable.

#8772 3 years ago

We have something called a Tax Free Savings Account and we use Registered Retirement Savings Plans up here in Canada. The TFSA allows you to put so much money into it every year. You can invest this money while it's inside the TFSA on anything you want. If it goes up there are no tax implications. If you withdraw it there are no tax implications. As long as you don't over contribute to it you are fine. TFSA is more liquid. The money can be accessed at any time. It's basically a tax shelter.

RRSP's are similar, but they are heavily taxed when withdrawn, so most people use them after retirement when their income is lowest. It's similar to your 401K. RRSP funds can be invested though, and there are no tax implications as long as the money stays in the RRSP.

Both are nice little shelters for making money on your way to retirement without the government getting their dirty hands on any of it. Except on RRSPs when you withdrawal.

#8773 3 years ago

Guy just bought $1M in GME. Brave or stupid or both?

https://i.redd.it/6htn6hnn5we61.jpg

#8774 3 years ago
Quoted from TRAMD:For the last 80 years, the overall growth of the stock market is 7-10% per year averaged over any 20 year period. Inflation is typically 2-3% so your effective growth is 4-8%. I typically use 7% when calculating my target date for retirement.

However at this time we are at the end of a long bull market and PEs are unusually high which should lead to lower returns as the PEs should tend to go back down to normal.

I believe the last several years have returned higher than 7-10% which is baked into the high stock prices. Likely not going to see as good of returns in the next cycle.

I’m thinking a lot of new investors don’t remember the Great Recession of 2008 or the dot com bubble. And might not realize that stocks can go down as well. And not always return 7-10%.

#8775 3 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Probably needs a tax write off.

#8776 3 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Sorry man - I don't give a shit about all the people investing in GME right now - we don't need to fill up this forum with this crap. Now if you buy good deal post it. But don't post every 30 seconds on updates. This thread was a treasure trove of good info. But this speculative stuff is too consuming. Hoping I don't have to move on. Not a dig at you personally, just the whole content of this thread right now.

#8777 3 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

Sorry man - I don't give a shit about all the people investing in GME right now - we don't need to fill up this forum with this crap. Now if you buy good deal post it. But don't post every 30 seconds on updates.

And here I thought this was the "Stock Market Traders" thread and that GME was a stock on the stock market. I must be worse at this stock stuff than I initially thought. /sarcasm

Seriously though, this is a stock market investment thread and the biggest thing circling the globe is the GME news. Why wouldn't that be the thing talked about?

#8778 3 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

Sorry man - I don't give a shit about all the people investing in GME right now - we don't need to fill up this forum with this crap. Now if you buy good deal post it. But don't post every 30 seconds on updates.

You may not, but many do. You have the option to not look. And I have posted maybe 15 times in 5 hours....let's not be sensational. Whether it's crap it's no different than your lucky silver position. That wasn't really helpful to anyone either if we're being honest. But it was interesting.

#8779 3 years ago

And here I thought this was the "Stock Market Traders" thread and that GME was a stock on the stock market. I must be worse at this stock stuff than I initially thought. /sarcasm
Seriously though, this is a stock market investment thread and the biggest thing circling the globe is the GME news. Why wouldn't that be the thing talked about?

I'm into the GME thing and hoping it goes well for the small guy - just don't want to read a play by play.

My choice of words were poor - so I apologize for that. It is an awesome movement. Love seeing the man get the lashings. Just hoping for some comments on other stuff.

#8780 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

However at this time we are at the end of a long bull market and PEs are unusually high which should lead to lower returns as the PEs should tend to go back down to normal.
I believe the last several years have returned higher than 7-10% which is baked into the high stock prices. Likely not going to see as good of returns in the next cycle.
I’m thinking a lot of new investors don’t remember the Great Recession of 2008 or the dot com bubble. And might not realize that stocks can go down as well. And not always return 7-10%.

That is why I said "averaged over any 20 year period". The last three years we have seen returns of 12-15% per year. I personally have averaged 30% return per year over the last three years but I don't use that number to calculated my long term returns. I am currently 40 and plan to retire in 20 years. I know that things won't be like this for the next 20 years and assume an average of a 7% return. Less than that over 20 years is possible but unlikely and if I do better, that's just gravy.

#8781 3 years ago

well, I'm in....7 of GME and 50 of AMC. what could go wrong??

GME average share price I'm at $266.47 AMC I got in at 14.66.

At this very second I'm down $190. better than the $600 I was down a few hours ago. This is all too stressful honestly hahaha

#8782 3 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

First of all, I wasn’t going to post this but you did sound like an ass judging me without knowing in what situation I was in at that moment.
I’ve been trying to get into Fidelity all weekend long. I want to buy more GME and AMC, that’s my decision and I fully understand the consequences. Fidelity kept asking me stupid questions to verify my identity. I would answer them correctly and they kept shutting me down!
When I posted that picture, that was because Fidelity had FINALLY accepted my answers to those questions. I was not at home and I was in a hurry and needed to pick one of those options quickly because the page was going to time out.
I needed to make a quick decision on which one to pick because I had already tried so many times and it had finally accepted my application and the page was going to time out!
So NO I didn’t have time at that exact moment to dive deep and read what each of those 3 options offered. I posted in hopes of getting a quick answer because I know you guys are very smart (including you) and know your stuff.
Yes I’m a rookie at this, I’m just a beginner. I’m sorry sir but there’s no need for you to bust my balls or make me look like an idiot that was too lazy to read what those 3 options meant because that wasn’t the case at all.
To make a long story short, the damn page refreshed and my application was gone. I Kept trying without Success. I have now read what those 3 options are but Fidelity still won’t work for me.
All of this happened because I was in such a hurry to open up another account that lets me buy the stocks I want. Any other day I would have taken my time and research what those 3 options offered. Sorry again.

I accept your criticism, that's why I prefaced my reply the way I did.

#8783 3 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

You may not, but many do. You have the option to not look. And I have posted maybe 15 times in 5 hours....let's not be sensational. Whether it's crap it's no different than your lucky silver position. That wasn't really helpful to anyone either if we're being honest. But it was interesting.

Quoted from WeirPinball:

I'm into the GME thing and hoping it goes well for the small guy - just don't want to read a play by play.
My choice of words were poor - so I apologize for that. It is an awesome movement. Love seeing the man get the lashings. Just hoping for some comments on other stuff.

Kudos to you both for being civil with your replies. This may be a Pinside first! It was definitely refreshing to read.

#8784 3 years ago

I accept your criticism, that's why I prefaced my reply the way I did.
When I reread your question, my sense is that didn't understand why you had to make a selection at all.
My post was not to highlight that you didn't understand the types or nature of the short term funds, but that you were questioning why you had to select anything at all. And the answer was just below.
I will only say this, if you're in that type of a rush to open an account because you have to buy RIGHT now...be careful.
Hopefully I got your attention. I'll leave you with this...a good, long term investment opportunity will not evaporate between now and Tuesday.

Same.
I've used 6% to 7% annually as my benchmark based on my investment mix. I gradually shifted from 10% bonds when I was 35 to about 35% bonds now at 47.
I've never assumed more than a 7% return, but never less than 5%.

What Bond funds have had a reasonable return? I was about 10% bonds up until 2 weeks ago when I went all cash as I assumed a bubble burst was immanent in the next month or two. When I move back in, I'm looking at going more heavily Bonds. I would love to find Bonds that returned 5% or more. I'm in the Vanguard family first if that matters.

#8785 3 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

Sorry man - I don't give a shit about all the people investing in GME right now - we don't need to fill up this forum with this crap. Now if you buy good deal post it. But don't post every 30 seconds on updates. This thread was a treasure trove of good info. But this speculative stuff is too consuming. Hoping I don't have to move on. Not a dig at you personally, just the whole content of this thread right now.

I am enjoying it honestly. It is certainly a different style of market trading, but trading it is.

#8786 3 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

Kudos to you both for being civil with your replies. This may be a Pinside first! It was definitely refreshing to read.

It's all good....I've enjoyed WeirPinball's posts in this thread, so I knew it wasn't exactly personal. It's been a little slow in here today, so I accept I've probably posted more than usual. I'll try to keep my posts more pertinent.

#8787 3 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

It's all good....I've enjoyed WeirPinball's posts in this thread, so I knew it wasn't exactly personal. It's been a little slow in here today, so I accept I've probably posted more than usual. I'll try to keep my posts more pertinent.

It's all good - sometimes a bit much to wade through, but right now I'm anticipating a market pullback like a lot of others, so using the opportunity to cash out when I can

#8788 3 years ago

Maybe someone could start a whole different thread called GME etc stock trading. Or Meme stocks.

I’m interested in this too somewhat but rather know about it before it’s gone up 10x.

Is there a trick to the meme stocks to get in early?

#8789 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

That is the trick. You just have to figure out when is early and when is too late. My crystal ball is usually wrong.

AMC volume is nuts today. Nearly 325,000,000. Was it this busy on Friday? It seems so long ago...

#8790 3 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

That is the trick. You just have to figure out when is early and when is too late. My crystal ball is usually wrong.
AMC volume is nuts today. Nearly 325,000,000. Was it this busy on Friday? It seems so long ago...

Not sure, my friend bought a bunch of AMC at $4.3/share but he didn’t tell me about it until after the huge rise when everyone was taking about it. I guess he wanted to brag about his big score but telling me after the fact was no use.

#8791 3 years ago

A

Quoted from Fifty:

Yes, it was 400M on Friday, IIRC. Combining posts, so as to not overwhelm the thread:

Did anyone get in on SNDL? It's actually poised positively as far as Marijuana stocks go. I've never been positioned in this market, so just took a flier on it last week. It's gone from .8 to 1.2, up 42% today.

#8792 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Maybe someone could start a whole different thread called GME etc stock trading. Or Meme stocks.
I’m interested in this too somewhat but rather know about it before it’s gone up 10x.

Quoted from robertmee:

A

Yes, it was 400M on Friday, IIRC. Combining posts, so as to not overwhelm the thread:
Did anyone get in on SNDL? It's actually poised positively as far as Marijuana stocks go. I've never been positioned in this market, so just took a flier on it last week. It's gone from .8 to 1.2, up 42% today.

I'm watching GRWG as a longshot play.

#8793 3 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Looking hard at CCIV. Rumour is they are acquiring Lucid cars. May buy some Wednesday after funds have settled if it looks good. Of course do your own due dilligence.
In other news, PINS is delivering quarterly earnings next Thursday. I'm hoping for a 10% pop after the announcement.
Good luck... and GME is nuts!

Bought 1100 CCIV at 23.65 in the pre-market. May announce merger with Lucid.
Bought 35 shares of AMC at 10.75 this morning and closed out at 21.51 2 hours later. $350 is $350. Good luck to all!
*Edit: Acquisition, not merger.

Speculation SPAC CCIV is acquiring LUCID motors. Very risky. I'm in!

On the realm of speculative stock, CCIV is up to 25 on rumors it is the SPAC of choice for Lucid motors, the Tesla killer. If they announce expect a huge spike. If not expect it to go down to 10.

#8794 3 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

A

Yes, it was 400M on Friday, IIRC. Combing posts, so as to not overwhelm the thread:
Did anyone get in on SNDL? It's actually poised positively as far as Marijuana stocks go. I've never been positioned in this market, so just took a flier on it. It's gone from .8 to 1.2, up 42% today.

I tried the pot stock thing awhile back and got slaughtered. I used a few of them to offset gains last year. They were just sitting there rotting in my portfolio.

Bought CANN @ $7.17 and it's at a whopping $0.906 right now.

#8795 3 years ago

Added to visa and ARKQ this morning. All the madness is definitely opening up more attractive prices on some great stocks.

#8796 3 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

public information (and I know jack about this stuff) there are still around 62M shares being shorted for around $12B

Saw article saying it is now only 40% short. Sorry, can’t link. Anybody staying in this GME trade for the squeeze, moment may have passed. Anybody with better data, please post.

#8797 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I think there is an investment strategy right now for the meme stocks, but it's pretty risky. It involves reading WSB's and evaluating what are the new stocks being hyped and see how they rise, using a tool like https://unbiastock.com/reddit.php to see what stocks are getting rising hype, and buying early on the cheap stocks before the hype has fully built and all the new retail investors buy it. That worked well with GME, AMC, BB, PLTR, and NAKD for me, not so much with NOK because I was too late. But like the saying, buy the rumor, sell the news, you are buying a rumor those people are going to jump on a stock next and then selling it when they do... and you can't wait very long to sell. It seems like a super risky strategy though and some won't pan out. And I'd avoid buying the meme stocks after everyone already has, I see zero point in buying GME and AMC now that they have somewhat stabilized in the past few days, unless you are buying dips and selling when they go up a few bucks.

I don't advise anyone to try to profit a lot of meme stocks, but they've been a nice buffer for me as my more stable investments went down with the Market in the past week. It seems when the Market does bad, the meme stocks do good and vice versa.

#8798 3 years ago
Quoted from athenspin:

Added to visa and ARKQ this morning. All the madness is definitely opening up more attractive prices on some great stocks.

Nice. I bought AAPL for the first time over the weekend after hours Friday when it was still down with my GME profits, up 2% today.

#8799 3 years ago

MAC down to $14 today after hitting $26 last week. Rags-Riches-Rags for me, as I'm still sitting on 500 shares. Might buy more this week and hope for another spike.

#8800 3 years ago

I tried the pot stock thing awhile back and got slaughtered. I used a few of them to offset gains last year. They were just sitting there rotting in my portfolio.
Bought CANN @ $7.17 and it's at a whopping $0.906 right now.

Sounds like a friend of ours in Tennessee who converted 300 acres to cannabis, thinking they were minting money, only to see cannabis prices tank. It would have cost more to harvest and process than it was sitting in the ground so it just died.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 12.95
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 20,997 posts in this topic. You are on page 176 of 420.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stock-market-traders/page/176?hl=tramd and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.