2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 1,218 posts
  • 158 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 13 days ago by rai
  • Topic is favorited by 76 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 61 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

44051B6F-2E9A-48FF-97D1-A085A1815F68 (resized).jpeg
    43662519-7176-45B0-9133-FF0320D71628 (resized).jpeg
    3B542052-01F9-4C14-865C-BE2ED9584587 (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-10 at 10.41.33 PM (resized).png
    FAFEECDF-BE78-4885-BDA3-46103225D737 (resized).jpeg
    FCB5EF38-E524-4306-8720-6FE0E0A5AD37 (resized).jpeg
    2FF98A65-320B-4D62-A9E0-E95F2D95A84C (resized).png
    27B33194-4A1E-4CA8-AA72-4551C862287E (resized).jpeg
    071A42FB-39B6-4736-95E4-7F54BE506500 (resized).png
    7EB54C66-D841-4C31-AC90-86924084B9DD (resized).jpeg
    Screen Shot 2018-09-07 at 2.30.30 PM (resized).png
    cronos (resized).JPG
    478306F5-44E7-4412-AA54-92B741236C06 (resized).png
    FE3BE21F-4F71-41DB-A660-B457D06EE54D (resized).png
    0C6E7317-02EA-4E95-BC76-96C0228D836C (resized).png
    phase 1-4 (resized).png

There are 1218 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 25.
    #801 1 year ago

Google actually pays Apple a good bit to be the default search engine. $3B a year.

For comparison Disney makes $2-3B profit from all its theme parks combined.

#802 1 year ago
    Quoted from rai:

Wonder if they should branch out like buy another company like Netflix or Disney or just buy back shares? They can’t really sit on $200B that was more so when the money was locked overseas.

As a shareholder, I’d rather they sit on the cash. Branching out for the sake of branching out is counterproductive if you ask me. They are great at what they do. They should keep their focus there.

The more cash they have, the less downside risk the stock will have.

#803 1 year ago

Not sure how big of a contibutor this is but Apple also has ApplePay on all their mobile devices... when used they get a small percentage of the transaction like any other CC clearing house.

I’m seeing more and more people using mobile payments around here, especially since CC compaines had the less than smooth US rollout of the chip cards (do I swipe or insert.... insert then told to swipe... swipe then told to insert... do not remove until we beep at you obnoxiously)

Personally I like the ApplePay system because card numbers are not used in the transaction and it’s just about instantaneous. My assumption is that Googles system is similar but usually when I see someone using mobile payments it’s with an apple device.

#804 1 year ago

Strength in China, upcoming buybacks and big growth in services

Own, buy on dips and don’t trade Apple

#805 1 year ago

And Apple says they plan to go cash neutral. That’s a TON of cash to deploy somehow, R&D, acquisitions, buy backs etc

What do they have in the pipeline with AI etc that nobody knows about yet that could be “that one next thing”

Look how fast this stock rebounded. It’s also about as defensive a play as you can make with upcoming additional volatility

One could argue it is MUCH safer than and longer term bond with the bubble bonds are in and the interest rate risk there. Low duration, floating rate, high yield, TIPS only way to use that market right now

#806 1 year ago

Looks to me like if you had listened to Mr. Hogan last week you'd have missed out on the biggest single week gain in 6 years!

#807 1 year ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Apple is a company that never should be sold.

Another thing that makes Apple stand out from the other tech giants is they pay dividends.

#808 1 year ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Another thing that makes Apple stand out from the other tech giants is they pay dividends.

Microsoft does as well.

#810 1 year ago

And MSFT has a PE of 75! Apple 17x.

Not that i respect Steve Ballmer, former CEO, but i did hear an interview with him on Cnbc recently asking him about current MSFT valuations and he said he thought about selling his MSFT shares in the mid 70's and obviously glad he didn't. But kind of threw his hands up at today's "crazy valuation".

I think MSFT will be a great stock to own for the next 20 yrs with its cloud services BUT i would wait for the next pullback and hope to add in the low 70's, may never happen

#811 1 year ago

Fyi, not bad performance versus SP500. Always in market 87 risk of 100, but hedging the SP limits drawdown. Max 22%

Screen Shot 2018-02-16 at 2.51.06 PM (resized).png

#812 1 year ago

One more thought for the day!

"The stock trades at a 10 P/E ex-cash making Apple a huge bargain considering the Services revenue provides plenty of stable growth ahead. After a 20% buyback, the stock would trade below a 10 P/E."

#813 1 year ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

I hate Duke!!!!

Then, you can join me and "jayhawkai" in the Dook Hater's Club!!!

#814 1 year ago
    Quoted from rai:

So what do you guys see Apple like in 5-10 or 20 years from now?

Even if the market gets over-saturated with iPhones and such and sales drop, Apple will continue to be successful in the next decade or so due to diversifying. Maybe not having great profit years but still profitable. They have enough cash on hand to build new companies off the back of the big one to take up any void in loss of sales of current products. As long as it stays one company and doesn't sell out, we all should be safe it in it . . . at least as much as in anything else.

#815 1 year ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

and health care taken care of for life;

How are you doing this part?

#816 1 year ago
    Quoted from desertT1:

How are you doing this part?

I don't know how he's doing it, but I have the same thing. By being a military Veteran I have Tri-care for Life. Unless the government screws me out of it, me and my wife both are supposed to have this health care until we die. One of the best benefits of 'serving'.

My parents had free health care for life because my father worked for a large factory (International Harvester) and retired from there. But the days of working at just one job for 30 or 40 years and getting a full benefits package is just about over.

3 weeks later
    #817 1 year ago

Transactions for today:

Bought back 6 Amazon April 1,280 puts for $2.04 (covering outstanding puts)
    Bought back 5 Google April 1,020 puts for $3.55 (covering outstanding puts)

Sold 6 Amazon April 1,540 puts for $28.58
    Sold 5 Google April 1,090 puts for $24.78

Here's a fun one I did today:

Sold 6 Google April 1,190 puts for $56.18
    Bought them back at $50.27

3 months later
    #818 1 year ago
    Quoted from JY64:

predictions for 2018
    FB & AMZN will both beat the S&P but there returns will be half of 2017 return
    Pullback of %5 or more between Mar 31 and May 15
    10 yr will break through 3% but end the yr under %2.85
    The xle will again underperform the S&P
    Lets hear your predictions for 2018 no bitcoin

After 6 months AMZN still flying high 10 yr bond %2.82 it did break %3 XLE out preforming s@p by a small amount pullback came a little early

#819 1 year ago

Not sure how people feel about oil stocks but nog (northern oil and gas) has done well for me as of late. Currently at 330 a share.

#820 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinballplusMN:

Not sure how people feel about oil stocks but nog (northern oil and gas) has done well for me as of late. Currently at 330 a share.

Small cap with less than %5 institutional money a trade but not an investment

#821 1 year ago

All that matters is the credit cycle which is based on if banks are lending money like there is no tomorrow or making it near impossible for most to qualify for loans. Normally we see a blow off top where the dollar weakens and commodities scream higher. Once the equity market tops and rolls over you will see ppl going to cash, bonds (if interest rates drop) and utilities. Looks like we still have some more room to the upside in the stock market as precious metals and commodities have yet to move off their 40 year lows vs the SP 500.

credit cycle (resized).jpgcycles-1 (resized).jpgETF (resized).pngSP500-vs-Commodities-768x566 (resized).png

phase 1-4 (resized).png
    #822 1 year ago

I can't seem to figure out AKS.

#823 1 year ago
    Quoted from LITZ:

All that matters is the credit cycle which is based on if banks are lending money like there is no tomorrow or making it near impossible for most to qualify for loans. Normally we see a blow off top where the dollar weakens and commodities scream higher. Once the equity market tops and rolls over you will see ppl going to cash, bonds (if interest rates drop) and utilities. Looks like we still have some more room to the upside in the stock market as precious metals and commodities have yet to move off their 40 year lows vs the SP 500.

Nice charts.

Robert

#824 1 year ago
    Quoted from MrSanRamon:

Nice charts.
    Robert

https://www.streetwisereports.com/article/2018/07/06/trade-wars-gold-and-a-once-in-a-lifetime-opportunity.html

Interesting article based on that SP500 vs Commodities ratio chart above in the previous post.

#825 1 year ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Strength in China, upcoming buybacks and big growth in services
    Own, buy on dips and don’t trade Apple

Wash, rinse and repeat

#826 1 year ago
    Quoted from LITZ:

Once the equity market tops and rolls over you will see ppl going to cash, bonds (if interest rates drop) and utilities.

I think we better look for alternatives to bonds when it does top out. OAK has a nice return and time to start accumulating in a mature bull market.

I'm focusing on Dividend Value plays and some other non market correlated asset classes.

And BRK.B now after the recent selloff. Another way to play a market drop. Nobody better than Buffet at deploying Cash in a downturn and they have $120 billion ready to go.

Can you let me know when the top out is going to happen?

#827 1 year ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

And BRK.B now after the recent selloff. Another way to play a market drop. Nobody better than Buffet at deploying Cash in a downturn and they have $120 billion ready to go.

I bought BRK.B about 20 years ago...glad I did.

Robert

#828 1 year ago

Our Family has been a Dave Ramsey follower for close to 15 years now. We only invest in Mutual Funds and paid for Real Estate. We spread our mutual funds evenly over Growth (Large Cap), Growth and Income (Mid Cap), Aggressive Growth (Small Cap), and International.

If you want to learn more, visit:

www.daveramsey.com

#829 1 year ago
    Quoted from robgo777:

Our Family has been a Dave Ramsey follower for close to 15 years now. We only invest in Mutual Funds and paid for Real Estate. We spread our mutual funds evenly over Growth (Large Cap), Growth and Income (Mid Cap), Aggressive Growth (Small Cap), and International.
    If you want to learn more, visit:
    www.daveramsey.com

Dave is great for getting people on track, but I would add that the funds he hawks have very high fees.

#830 1 year ago
    Quoted from MrSanRamon:

I bought BRK.B about 20 years ago...glad I did.
    Robert

We bought some in 2008. Outside of company stock awards from our employers, it's the only stock we own. It has done well, though most of the gains came since 2009.

#831 1 year ago
    Quoted from investingdad:

Dave is great for getting people on track, but I would add that the funds he hawks have very high fees.

Save like Dave don’t invest like Dave

Not a fiduciary under the fiduciary duty rule

Sells products with higher fees to make his crew more money

#832 1 year ago

I began investing in mutual funds when I was 23 and set aside 15% of my salary to do this. My wife, though we hadn't met yet, was doing the same as me.
    Other than rebalancing, we've never sold. Not in 2000, 2001, 2008, or any other time. We are now early 40s and contemplating an early retirement by early 50s. We save about 23% of our gross these days.
    Simple, cheap, boring, stress free...and highly successful.

I like you <3

#833 1 year ago

...very high fees.

High fees are the worst, you can’t depend on the market will go up or down but you can always depend on high fees costing money.

If you are going the mutual fund route (or ETFs) I recommend index funds with lowest fees, some with ER as low as 0.03%

http://etfdb.com/compare/lowest-expense-ratio/

#835 1 year ago

I have 2.5m in the market. I don’t try to time it, just let it be. In 10 years I look forward to having 5.4m

#836 1 year ago

You better hope guys like us make money in the market to pay huge taxes to pay your fat govt pensions.

#837 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

You better hope guys like us make money in the market to pay huge taxes to pay your fat govt pensions.

The pensions are not very large for government employees in the modern retirement system. The majority of retirement is in a 401k like system with the same individual contribution caps as everyone.

#838 1 year ago
    Quoted from WackyBrakke:

I have 2.5m in the market. I don’t try to time it, just let it be. In 10 years I look forward to having 5.4m

Sounds about right.

I'm guessing you're adding ~80k or so per year and assuming a RoR around 6 or 7%?

With a 3.5% withdrawal rate, you should pull 175k a year off of it in perpetuity.

#839 1 year ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

The pensions are not very large for government employees in the modern retirement system. The majority of retirement is in a 401k like system with the same contribution caps as everyone.

Thougt it was 3 top years avg. salary X number of years X 1 or 1.1% = annual benefit?

So $100,000 a year top earning years X 30 years X 1.1% = $2750 a month for life after age 62. Is that it? That is pretty good. Private companies don’t offer that anymore.

Is the federal employee pension fund invested in stocks? Seems like it could be a major conflict of interest in who decides which company’s stock gets purchased.

#840 1 year ago

I know this is the stock thread but occasionally things divert to other investments.

I purchased another single family home I am fixing up to rent.
    I really like my money in hard goods and this one will be positive cash flow as soon as I have a tenant (with Madison at all time high for occupancy rate I am thinking it will be easy to find a tenant like it has the other 2).

This is the first foreclosure I have purchased for this purpose and a steep but fun learning curve on this one.

I enjoy the work of fixing them up and with some help from a fellow Pinsider on the property management side, that to has become less stressful and more fun.

Over time, I hope to have enough income replacement to have F U money for the normal gig

#841 1 year ago

Sounds about right.
    I'm guessing you're adding ~80k or so per year and assuming a RoR around 6 or 7%?
    With a 3.5% withdrawal rate, you should pull 175k a year off of it in perpetuity.

That is clearly F U money.

#842 1 year ago

Thougt it was 3 top years avg. salary X number of years X 1 or 1.1% = annual benefit?
    So $100,000 a year top earning years X 30 years X 1.1% = $2750 a month for life after age 62. Is that it? That is pretty good. Private companies don’t offer that anymore.
    Is the federal employee pension fund invested in stocks? Seems like it could be a major conflict of interest in who decides which company’s stock gets purchased.

I don't think that funding is in stocks but instead a trust fund.
    Federal employees take the jobs knowing their pay will be a lot less than what they could be making in other jobs in their area, but they understand that they get a few benefits that make up for the lack of the immediate rewards of a much better salary that the private sector would offer.

#843 1 year ago

Long post alert.

My wife was going through a tough time after some of her family members passed away and got sick the last couple of years. She got worried about money because of her loss of loved ones even though we are doing well with our saving and investing.

Because of her new worries she wanted to use an “advisor” since we have a good amount put away. They can get better returns than us being experts. Right? The charge was a 1% fee charged annually or .25% a quarter. Due to her situation and not wanting to argue. I reluctantly said let’s put your IRA and rollovers with him and see how it goes. I will keep managing my IRA’s. That was last year and after I saw a trade confirmation from him of a Mutual fund I already picked and owned I followed his picks and returns very closely. I went back and noticed I beat him pretty good last year on returns and am up 6.9% compared to his 1.6% return so far through June 30 for 2018. I really love running numbers and returns because they tell the truth. I mean if someone says I am a great attorney who knows how good they will do for your case? If someone says they are a great investor, and a lot of folks say that, return numbers can be run to see just how good they are. I think that is so cool and yes I get nervous when I run numbers for myself - like “oh crap am I a genius or a underperforming fool?!” Well anyway, I am doing well enough and we are going to bring her money back over for us to manage.

My point is not that you should never use an advisor. Some folks just don’t understand how to save, where to put money or how much they need for their short and long term goals. Some just don’t want to learn it, have no interest or are afraid of the results they may find when they run the numbers. These folks should find help ASAP.

I just think with a little bit of watching your money and always learning you can do a lot on your own and get the satisfaction of making your money grow and achieving your goals due to your decisions.

If you make a mistake that is ok and you learn from it and get back in the market with what you learned more prepared from your past experience. And yes everyone should use an advisor, attorney, Estate planner, CPA, insurance person etc to help along the way as needed.

Just speaking from my own experience. Watching you guys do trades here is amazing.

#844 1 year ago

I'll say it again... investing is SIMPLE.

Pick a few low cost funds (index, bond, and foreign), pick a ratio of the three consistent with your age and risk tolerance, contribute monthly.

Done.

No trading. No complexity.

The first rule of advisor club is let the client believe it's complicated.

#845 1 year ago

Agree 110%

There was a book titled ‘Where are the customers yatchs?’

Was meant to say the brokers/advisors get lots of money at the expense of who? The clients. The advisor has no skin in the game gets paid either way. The best person to invest is the person who has the most to gain by doing well.

Also advisors may make it seem like it’s complicated but if you read a few basic books it ain’t hard.

#846 1 year ago
    Quoted from WackyBrakke:

yes but everyone I assume is wondering "in what"

#847 1 year ago
    Quoted from WackyBrakke:

Why would you post this?

Robert

#848 1 year ago

I'll say it again... investing is SIMPLE.
    Pick a few low cost funds (index, bond, and foreign), pick a ratio of the three consistent with your age and risk tolerance, contribute monthly.
    Done.
    No trading. No complexity.
    The first rule of advisor club is let the client believe it's complicated.

Good points. I moved my 401k allocations from a target year fund to a Fidelity Index Insitutional Premium Class fund (FXAIX). It's returns and low fees (especially compared to target date fund fees) have been great. I wonder if I should spread things out though between three or more funds?

#849 1 year ago
    Quoted from WackyBrakke:

You looking to adopt? As a bonus, I can already wipe my own ass.

#850 1 year ago

Long post alert.
    My wife was going through a tough time after some of her family members passed away and got sick the last couple of years. She got worried about money because of her loss of loved ones even though we are doing well with our saving and investing.
    Because of her new worries she wanted to use an “advisor” since we have a good amount put away. They can get better returns than us being experts. Right? The charge was a 1% fee charged annually or .25% a quarter. Due to her situation and not wanting to argue. I reluctantly said let’s put your IRA and rollovers with him and see how it goes. I will keep managing my IRA’s. That was last year and after I saw a trade confirmation from him of a Mutual fund I already picked and owned I followed his picks and returns very closely. I went back and noticed I beat him pretty good last year on returns and am up 6.9% compared to his 1.6% return so far through June 30 for 2018. I really love running numbers and returns because they tell the truth. I mean if someone says I am a great attorney who knows how good they will do for your case? If someone says they are a great investor, and a lot of folks say that, return numbers can be run to see just how good they are. I think that is so cool and yes I get nervous when I run numbers for myself - like “oh crap am I a genius or a underperforming fool?!” Well anyway, I am doing well enough and we are going to bring her money back over for us to manage.
    My point is not that you should never use an advisor. Some folks just don’t understand how to save, where to put money or how much they need for their short and long term goals. Some just don’t want to learn it, have no interest or are afraid of the results they may find when they run the numbers. These folks should find help ASAP.
    I just think with a little bit of watching your money and always learning you can do a lot on your own and get the satisfaction of making your money grow and achieving your goals due to your decisions.
    If you make a mistake that is ok and you learn from it and get back in the market with what you learned more prepared from your past experience. And yes everyone should use an advisor, attorney, Estate planner, CPA, insurance person etc to help along the way as needed.
    Just speaking from my own experience. Watching you guys do trades here is amazing.

It sounds like your wife was worried is it set up like a balanced fund with some fixed income

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 45.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Just 3D Mods
    $ 2.50
    Various Novelties
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 29.00
    $ 5,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Ghostbusters Pro Out of stock
    Operation Pinball
    $ 96.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Full Tilt Pinball LEDs
    € 279.00
    Displays
    PINBALLSP
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 35.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    3D MODS
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 199.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 19.99
    $ 79.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 69.00
    $ 19.95
    There are 1218 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 25.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside