IMG_7948 (resized).jpeg
kuiil-have-spoken.gif
200w.gif
gold24 (resized).jpg
counting_coins_02.gif
IMG_1659 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 20,990 posts in this topic. You are on page 127 of 420.
#6301 3 years ago

I think you both are right.

I don’t see why you can’t be both a tool and be skilled at enriching yourself and those around you

#6302 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

I think you both are right.
I don’t see why you can’t be both a tool and be skilled at enriching yourself and those around you

I think we can all agree... There are a lot of rich tools out there. Lol

#6303 3 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Ackman may have made a mistake with the short position, but he was 100% correct that Herbalife was and is a total junk business.
But you do realize Ackman is a very successful multi-billionaire, right? Hard to be called a tool when literally everything (besides Valeant) he has invested in has made him and his investors massive money.
Let's also not forget Bill made one of the best trades ever recorded this year- the "tool" turned $27M into $2.6B in only a few weeks.
Also, y

Having a lot of money does not preclude one from being a tool. If anything, it increases the probability.

#6304 3 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Let's also not forget Bill made one of the best trades ever recorded this year- the "tool" turned $27M into $2.6B in only a few weeks.

Yes that's his actions from March that I was referring to:

"Pershing Square manager Bill Ackman turned a net profit of more than $2 billion on Monday after he sold his bets against the market less than one week after warning CNBC that “hell is coming” and imploring the White House to shut down the country for a month"

Right at the same time he said Hilton and all other hotels were going to zero, while he was in fact adding to his position in Hilton. Nothing to see here....

#6305 3 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

Yes that's his actions from March that I was referring to:
"Pershing Square manager Bill Ackman turned a net profit of more than $2 billion on Monday after he sold his bets against the market less than one week after warning CNBC that “hell is coming” and imploring the White House to shut down the country for a month"
Right at the same time he said Hilton and all other hotels were going to zero, while he was in fact adding to his position in Hilton. Nothing to see here....

Whether you want to believe it or not, but this is how Wall Street works. Everyone does it. I don't think ethics are a prerequisite for being a successful hedge fund manager which is why every single one of them do whatever it takes to make money and show returns for their clients.

With that said, no reason to doubt PSTH because of this

#6306 3 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Whether you want to believe it or not, but this is how Wall Street works. Everyone does it. I don't think ethics are a prerequisite for being a successful hedge fund manager which is why every single one of them do whatever it takes to make money and show returns for their clients.
With that said, no reason to doubt PSTH because of this

Yes they do. Most have the decency not to flaunt it though

I posted last week that I did a swing long trade on a couple thousand share of PSTH. Made a little on it. Would have made a lot more if I still was holding it. The further it gets above its initial price, the more nervous I get about it. There's no guarantee they make a purchase, or if the purchase they make causes the price to surge. I wouldn't want to buy at $27, just to have them give you back $20 with interest.

#6307 3 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

Yes they do. Most have the decency not to flaunt it though
I posted last week that I did a swing long trade on a couple thousand share of PSTH. Made a little on it. Would have made a lot more if I still was holding it. The further it gets above its initial price, the more nervous I get about it. There's no guarantee they make a purchase, or if the purchase they make causes the price to surge. I wouldn't want to buy at $27, just to have them give you back $20 with interest.

I encourage you to do some more research on it for sure. Ackman has stated many times that the target is on track for 1Q 2021, so as early as January.

What other stock guarantees you a floor price? Buy at $27, and the lowest it can go is $20 + interest. One of the safest investments on the market right now.

Plus, there is a warrant structure as well.. hence the "tontine" name. If you hold your shares through the merger, you will be awarded with 2 warrants per 9 shares owned which is substantial. Each warrant can be redeemed for $23. The more people who sell their shares before the merger, the more warrants you get with up to 6(!) warrants per 9 shares owned. It's huge. Many people have not taken the time to really dig into this SPAC and understand how well it is structured versus other SPACs. I don't see it being less than $45-$60/share in the first half of 2021.

Also, Ackman does not take any type of management fees or royalties like other SPACs.. he only benefits if the stock price surges after merger. Typically, SPAC owners benefit in some way.

I personally think this is structured to take a Fintech business like Stripe public... but what do I know. They did recently place Jackie Reses on the board of PSTH, and she just left Square which is a competitor to Stripe. She also just recently updated her Twitter bio to reflect that ... and mentions she is now a "Fintech investor".

Stripe would be MASSIVE.

Here is Jackie's info on the PSTH website: https://pstontine.com/team/jacqueline-d-reses/

#6308 3 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

I encourage you to do some more research on it for sure. Ackman has stated many times that the target is on track for 1Q 2021, so as early as January.
What other stock guarantees you a floor price? Buy at $27, and the lowest it can go is $20 + interest. One of the safest investments on the market right now.
Plus, there is a warrant structure as well.. hence the "tontine" name. If you hold your shares through the merger, you will be awarded with 2 warrants per 9 shares owned which is substantial. Each warrant can be redeemed for $23. The more people who sell their shares before the merger, the more warrants you get with up to 6(!) warrants per 9 shares owned. It's huge. Many people have not taken the time to really dig into this SPAC and understand how well it is structured versus other SPACs. I don't see it being less than $45-$60/share in the first half of 2021.
Also, Ackman does not take any type of management fees or royalties like other SPACs.. he only benefits if the stock price surges after merger. Typically, SPAC owners benefit in some way.
I personally think this is structured to take a Fintech business like Stripe public... but what do I know. They did recently place Jackie Reses on the board of PSTH, and she just left Square which is a competitor to Stripe. She also just recently updated her Twitter bio to reflect that ... and mentions she is now a "Fintech investor".
Stripe would be MASSIVE.
Here is Jackie's info on the PSTH website: https://pstontine.com/team/jacqueline-d-reses/

What's the drawback of putting all your money in this and selling December 2021 covered calls on it? If it can't go lower than $20, you could sell $20 calls for about $11. Buy shares at $27. You're "guaranteed" a $4/share return in 12 months. 15% guaranteed return in this market? I'd think most money managers would take that. Sure you'll miss the 100% or whatever and tie up your money for a year, but beats a savings account....

#6309 3 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

What's the drawback of putting all your money in this and selling December 2021 covered calls on it? If it can't go lower than $20, you could sell $20 calls for about $11. Buy shares at $27. You're "guaranteed" a $4/share return in 12 months. 15% guaranteed return in this market? I'd think most money managers would take that. Sure you'll miss the 100% or whatever and tie up your money for a year, but beats a savings account....

Excellent thinking ..

I've been in this with 90% of my accounts doing just that. Selling covered calls the entire time since July when it IPOd. But usually only 1 month out and letting them expire worthless. I've collected $15K/month in covered call premium since, and this month because I traded them and closed early I'll bank about $20K in covered call premium.

If I added this altogether, my cost average if factoring in covered call premiums is easily sub $20/share now.

SPACs with options like PSTH are a gift. Way better than a savings account you're correct. When does interest rates tanked I moved it into PSTH.

#6310 3 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Excellent thinking ..
I've been in this with 90% of my accounts doing just that. Selling covered calls the entire time since July when it IPOd. But usually only 1 month out and letting them expire worthless. I've collected $15K/month in covered call premium since, and this month because I traded them and closed early I'll bank about $20K in covered call premium.
If I added this altogether, my cost average if factoring in covered call premiums is easily sub $20/share now.
SPACs with options like PSTH are a gift.

That's similar to what I was planning to do a couple weeks ago. I sold Feb 21 $30 covered calls. The share price was still on a downtrend at the time and I didn't like what I was seeing. I bought back the calls for a gain, then sold the shares soon after when they got above my buy price. I was hoping to repeat that at a lower share price, but it's gone up almost every day since.

#6311 3 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

That's similar to what I was planning to do a couple weeks ago. I sold Feb 21 $30 covered calls. The share price was still on a downtrend at the time and I didn't like what I was seeing. I bought back the calls for a gain, then sold the shares soon after when they got above my buy price. I was hoping to repeat that at a lower share price, but it's gone up almost every day since.

Trust me I've wanted to sell my shares at various spikes and try to trade the peaks. But I'll never be able to get in for my cost average ever again so I've just traded the covered calls and made money that way.

The good thing about buying right now is the IV on the calls are very high and selling calls could work nice right now. But the announcement could come at anytime and rocket this thing big time so you'd be capping your gains. Once I close out these Jan $30s I won't sell anymore calls and just ride it out until the target company is announced.

#6312 3 years ago

So while everyone is selling off on the last day I bought some small positions in NLY, NET, AI and FVRR

I have to say that buying anything where we currently are feels very painful and wrong. But...that being said, I said the same thing when we were at 27k...so...yolo.

#6313 3 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

So while everyone is selling off on the last day I bought some small positions in NLY, NET, AI and FVRR
I have to say that buying anything where we currently are feels very painful and wrong. But...that being said, I said the same thing when we were at 27k...so...yolo.

I am thinking of doing the same thing. Looking at DOCU, NET, CRM, FSLY, PINS. Haven't pulled the trigger yet though.

#6314 3 years ago

I sold my shares of PLTR when it was around $28. What are everyone's thoughts about a good re-entry point for a long term hold? I was waiting for around $22 but I'm not sure it is still overvalued right now.

#6315 3 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Yah it feels icky. I'm mostly cash, but I've been selling a few puts out a couple weeks for some things about 10% lower than they are now. Either I'll get assigned at more reasonable prices or I'll collect a bit of premium. Better than sitting on cash doing nothing.

#6316 3 years ago

BITCOIN KEEPS CRUSHING IT!
New all-time high $29,321.90!
Now the 11th most valuable asset on the planet by market cap. Only 5 billion away from surpassing Berkshire Hathaway and ranking the Top 10.

As I’ve been saying, I’m fairly confident in my mid January statement, we’ll see 40k at least before the ass falls out on this one. It’s going to be a bloodbath as it just roars past everything.

Be prepared. HODLing hard here ready to buy buy buy when the big drop happens.

Should we start a Crypto traders thread?

#6317 3 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Should we start a Crypto traders thread

Please do and take your crypto non-sense with ya! But congratulations if you are making monies on it.

#6318 3 years ago
Quoted from Friengineer:

Please do and take your crypto non-sense with ya! But congratulations if you are making monies on it.

I just like to point out this silly little nay-sayer from 43 days ago

Quoted from RojerLockless:

As someone who had 100k in BTC and ETH and other cripto in 2017 right before the crash... I wish I would have cashed in. Who's to know what it will do... but I know I should have taken it and paid it on my house.

I did the math (had to made some educated guesses) and he should be sitting on an extra 48k now just a little over a month after he shat all over bitcoin lol.

When he posted on November 18th his bitcoin holdings were worth about $88,968.
Now at this moment 43 days later his bitcoin holdings should be equal to $144,970.

Find me another asset that can do that please.
“Total nonsense” because the stock market and fiat make perfect sense

#6319 3 years ago

Now the 11th most valuable asset on the planet by market cap. Only 5 billion away from surpassing Berkshire Hathaway and ranking the Top 10.
As I’ve been saying, I’m fairly confident in my mid January statement, we’ll see 40k at least before the ass falls out on this one. It’s going to be a bloodbath as it just roars past everything.

You really can’t compare a currency vs a company...

#6320 3 years ago

Find me another asset that can do that please.
“Total nonsense” because the stock market and fiat make perfect sense

It's not an asset though. It has no value intrinsically. A stock has value when it's based on a solid company that produces goods for a profit. You are trading a currency. So currency trading, not stock trading.

Don't get me wrong, I wish I would have bought when they were less than $1 when I was in college.

Here's a question for the bitcoiners. What's the value on bitcoin when the Chinese government creates it's own virtual currency - already happening and the USA is forced to follow suit?

If I had $25000 would I buy one bitcoin or 5 great company stocks? Easy answer.

#6321 3 years ago

With the governments trying to step in and stop the main reasons for the bitcoin bullishness at every turn, I still don't understand why anyone would be routing for the currency rather than the tech behind it. All it is is speculation, and you can use the 'dollar has nothing backing it either' argument, except it has history behind it. I can't imagine anyone getting into it at 25k+ and thinking it's going to go to 100k on nothing other than hopes and dreams. (but...again, what do I know).

#6322 3 years ago

I put a little dough down on bitcoin the other day, from trying to learn as much as I can about it here’s what I came up with, bitcoin isn’t necessarily a currency but an asset a store of value. Digital gold that’s finite, cyber real estate. Has the attention of a lot of people smarter than me, PayPal, square, etc. look what it’s done for micro strategy’s value. It has the attention of the retail investor, funds big and small. Carolina panthers player will be paid salary on half bitcoin, 3 New Jersey nets are wanting paid that way and other athletes will follow suit. Mayor of Miami “the new Silicon Valley” is open to researching putting 1% of Miami’s treasury reserve into bitcoin. Everything is digitizing, kids want bitcoin not gold, after the new year a TON of $ will be going into bitcoin. If these stimulus deals go through, more money in bitcoin. People want a way to keep the $ they earn from melting like an ice cube. Future looks promising for bitcoin and some alt coins. When people start seeing boat loads of cash on a balance sheet as a liability what’s Microsoft, Apple, amazon, google, and Tesla going to do. Maybe invest in bitcoin, then it may be unstoppable. I put some $ in it and would be willing to ad more if the opportunity comes, I just want to be part of the game. If I lose the $ I invested, no big deal. Cathie wood of Ark invest sees bitcoin hitting a half a million a coin and she’s spot on about a lot of things.

#6323 3 years ago
Quoted from athenspin:

People want a way to keep the $ they earn from melting like an ice cube.

I understand everything you are saying, but what makes BC any different from any other thing you throw money at? To my knowledge there is nothing preventing it from going to 0 for any number of reasons. If you can tax it, you can track it. Going thru an exchange isn't practical at this point. It is not the safe haven people want it to be. I am not trying to be a nay sayer. I wish I'd have bought some when it was much lower or even mined it back in the early days when I didn't take it seriously. I just don't see where it fits in the grand scheme of things. The dollar is already digital. Any money made 'digitally' is susceptible to corruption and hacking or flat out disappearing. I guess when FDIC starts covering it, then maybe I'll see the safety nets. No one can even explain why it spikes or drops with any actual credibility or where those millions of dollars that disappear go. It's just a guessing game.

#6324 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

No you can't. Bitcoin produces nothing. Like gold... except gold at least has practical use as a metal.

#6325 3 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I understand everything you are saying, but what makes BC any different from any other thing you throw money at? To my knowledge there is nothing preventing it from going to 0 for any number of reasons.

You are correct, that’s why I only invested what I could lose without it hurting me. The amount of momentum it has can’t be denied though, I’ve definitely made some horrible calls but I’ve made some really good ones too. I think the probability of bitcoin being massive outweighs the risk of it going to 0. Time will tell, it’s fun to discuss though!

#6326 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Someone else listed Assetdash earlier lol they compare all assets with all companies, so you tell me!

Quoted from Friengineer:

It's not an asset though. It has no value intrinsically. A stock has value when it's based on a solid company that produces goods for a profit. You are trading a currency. So currency trading, not stock trading.

First part: fiat doesn’t have any value other than what the government tells you it’s worth. The buying power of a dollar since 1969 has dropped to almost nothing. A $100 bill in 1913 would only be worth about $3.87 today. Fiat has eroded into nothingness. Stock has value but still, it’s measured in fiat. All the biggest guys could get rocked by government lawsuits an anti-trust regulations and your “value” would be turned to dust pretty fast. Google, Amazon, Facebook, Microsoft (already hit once) and Apple have drawn increasing scrutiny, yet their prices keep flying.

Quoted from Friengineer:

Here's a question for the bitcoiners. What's the value on bitcoin when the Chinese government creates it's own virtual currency - already happening and the USA is forced to follow suit?

This is just plain ignorance speaking. What’s the value of most Chinese knockoffs?
There are hundreds of Chinese companies solely operating off stolen IP and disregarded trademarks and secrets that steal American ideas (as well as other counties) they don’t eclipse the companies they steal from because they produce utter garbage. No innovation, just outright copycatting doesn’t add value.

Bitcoin is decentralized currency, pay attention and don’t be a stick in the mud. The digital yuan is a laughing stock in the tech sector and only extremely dumb analysts are suggestion it’s even worthwhile. The digital yuan is going to be a centralized currency maintained by the CCP and thus extremely susceptible to cyber attacks and outtages. Many of these “centralized” digital currencies are like taking all the good concepts in technology and throwing them in the trash. One main ledger and one point of failure is the dumbest shit on the planet, even if they create a wannabe blockchain it will still be overseen by the CCP ledger so it will be pointless.

If you read into the bitcoin white paper and analysis of Satoshi’s code, you’d know that the person or people who wrote it created some of the best code ever written. It is so perfect and flawless it is nearly impossible to be done by one person. The minimal updates we have seen attests to thats, only 1 actual issue ever came up and most never even heard about it. Many coins after it have been plagued with issues, ETH is CONSTANTLY being updated and while that’s a good thing that introduces many possible issues as well.

When a government decides to try and emulate private enterprise they usually do an abysmal job of it so if you all really believe the CCP and the United States Government are gonna be able to make these amazing, failure proof digital coins, I will enjoy watching from the sidelines.
Maybe they’ll be just as robust as the postal service!

Quoted from Zablon:

With the governments trying to step in and stop the main reasons for the bitcoin bullishness at every turn, I still don't understand why anyone would be routing for the currency rather than the tech behind it. All it is is speculation, and you can use the 'dollar has nothing backing it either' argument, except it has history behind it. I can't imagine anyone getting into it at 25k+ and thinking it's going to go to 100k on nothing other than hopes and dreams. (but...again, what do I know).

The dollar doesn’t have history anymore. Gold and silver-backed money was worth something.
Did you skip my post about how you guys said that about 45 days ago and since then it’s not only smashed it’s previous all time high but gone on to be worth another 10 grand more? I mean how many times can you be proven wrong and still say “nah not worth it” if you stop paying attention to Cramer-esque hacks then you’ll see plenty of respectable people actively advising on the bitcoin environment and what’s causing many highs and lows.

#6327 3 years ago

Bitcoin has been a thing for a while, is still is a thing now and will be traded for a long time. It’s relevant but it’s really not a publicly traded stock and no one here seems to trade it. It can be added as a small part of an Etf but since it’s an unqualified investment gains could get taken away if Bitcoin rises too high, so there won’t ever be a Bitcoin ETF, at least as of now. I would go here and see if you can rally some folks who own it to get input on buy, sell and holding.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/somebody-explain-bitcoin-to-me/page/35#post-6047781

#6328 3 years ago

It trades on the CME futures exchange with the other currencies - only thing is you need balls the size of coconuts

#6329 3 years ago
Quoted from Friengineer:

It's not an asset though. It has no value intrinsically.

Neither does fiat. If you're worried about intrinsic value, why are you trading stock in an attempt to increase your fiat holdings? You should go buy gold or real estate instead.

#6330 3 years ago

IMHO, the main downside of BITCOIN is it is a pure emotional play. It is entire driven in price by the CROWD SOURCED sentiment. Because it has no intrinsic value, the emotions of a million people make the price fluctuate widely. If you catch it while sentiment is down, for whatever reason, and buy, then you will likely make money if/when sentiment goes back up, which it will until the next shiny object appears. At some point that sentiment shifts to the next shiny object, but for the foreseeable future, there are no other shiny objects. You just don't want to be holding it when that shiny object appears...

#6331 3 years ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

IMHO, the main downside of BITCOIN is it is a pure emotional play. It is entire driven in price by the CROWD SOURCED sentiment. Because it has no intrinsic value, the emotions of a million people make the price fluctuate widely. If you catch it while sentiment is down, for whatever reason, and buy, then you will likely make money if/when sentiment goes back up, which it will until the next shiny object appears. At some point that sentiment shifts to the next shiny object, but for the foreseeable future, there are no other shiny objects. You just don't want to be holding it when that shiny object appears...

It has been around and will continue to be so, but there is another thread on it. Could we agree to keep it there?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/somebody-explain-bitcoin-to-me/page/35#post-6047781

#6332 3 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

If you're worried about intrinsic value, why are you trading stock in an attempt to increase your fiat holdings?

"Every gold piece you save is a worker bee to work for you. Every copper it earns is its child that also can earn for you."

I'm not trading anything, I'm buying bits of a company, a company that makes money and will continue to. This company then gives me money when they earn a profit. Bitcoin does not do that. If bitcoin is the future currency then I'll trade my bits of companies out for bitcoin or schmeckles or whatever.

Last post on bitcoin because I like it. I'm happy if you won the bitcoin game. Just don't label it something it is not.

#6333 3 years ago

For newer investors... do some Googling/reading on the "January Effect" in the stock market.

The “January effect” refers to the tendency of stocks to return much more in that month than others – an average gain of 1.8% in the first month of the year versus 0.7% in other months, according to a 2019 MarketWatch analysis – as investors sell losing stocks at the end of the year to lock in tax losses, and then buy them back after the calendar turns.

#6334 3 years ago

I was a skeptic for years but hopped on the train in the $9k range last year
Put in money that I don't care if it goes to zero, so I really have nothing to loose and everything to gain.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/bitcoin-price-surge-delivers-this-powerful-message-to-naysayers-expert-113929134.html

Those actively in the market trading bitcoin say newfound institutional demand has fueled the latest surge, not just views on blockchain. The buying, pros think, only supports the view of bitcoin as a credible alternative to fiat currencies.

In December, insurance giant MassMutual unveiled a $100 million investment in bitcoin for its general investment account. PayPal continues to buy up bitcoin to support the launch of the capability to buy, sell and trade cryptocurrency from a PayPal account. And Square recently said it will allow customers for the first time to receive bitcoin back on transactions, a move that triggers the payments platform to buy more bitcoin.

“Bitcoin is for everyone,” crypto bull Mike Novogratz said on Yahoo Finance Live. “Everyone should put 2% to 3% of their net worth in bitcoin and look at it in five years, and it’s going to be a whole lot more.”

#6335 3 years ago

It's a huge day tomorrow.

Gambling odds have shifted slightly to the radical Dems.

Need to consider "sectors of the market" that will actually like the shift to higher corporate taxes and additional massive government spending in the short term.

I put together a Global portfolio last month and wasn't planning on overweighting it but that might be coming sooner than later!

#6336 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Need to consider "sectors of the market" that will actually like the shift to higher corporate taxes and additional massive government spending in the short term.
I put together a Global portfolio last month and wasn't planning on overweighting it but that might be coming sooner than later!

With a best case scenario of 50/50 senate and a VP tie breaker for the Dems I doubt anything too "radical" would pass anyway...

#6337 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Mercado libre, paysafe, sea limited, and wondering about the slew of Chinese stocks like tencent, nio etc.

#6338 3 years ago
Quoted from Friengineer:

"Every gold piece you save is a worker bee to work for you. Every copper it earns is its child that also can earn for you."
I'm not trading anything, I'm buying bits of a company, a company that makes money and will continue to. This company then gives me money when they earn a profit. Bitcoin does not do that. If bitcoin is the future currency then I'll trade my bits of companies out for bitcoin or schmeckles or whatever.
Last post on bitcoin because I like it. I'm happy if you won the bitcoin game. Just don't label it something it is not.

Agreed.

Companies produce something and generate cash flow, may pay dividends, etc.

Bitcoin and currency speculation are predicated upon the notion somebody else in the future is going to pay more than I did.

There is no way, none, zippo...that you can compare or suggest they are equivalent class of assets.

Hell, even tulips produced more tulips.

#6339 3 years ago
Quoted from athenspin:

Mercado libre, paysafe, sea limited, and wondering about the slew of Chinese stocks like tencent, nio etc.

Yep, yep and yep. Will post a list I put together with Motley fool and Seeking Alpha

Flutter and FVRR are on there.

Just suggestions to consider

Joe Manchin from West Va has already said he’s not voting for anything “radical” but raising taxes in the middle of the pandemic while the economy is trying to recover is asinine and will cause a re-pricing of assets to some extent, downward

The “market” likes GDP growth, not contraction!

I think are really gonna have to get even more specific on what we like

It feels like this qtr earnings will be a sell on the good news event depending on election. I don’t know

The other side of the coin is just trade around the volatility that’s coming

There is a lot of money sitting on big cap gains looking for a reason to sell now that we are in Jan and can defer the taxes essentially for a year versus doing it in December.

#6340 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Yep, yep and yep. Will post a list I put together with Motley fool and Seeking Alpha
Flutter and FVRR are on there.
Just suggestions to consider
Joe Manchin from West Va has already said he’s not voting for anything “radical” but raising taxes in the middle of the pandemic while the economy is trying to recover is asinine and will cause a re-pricing of assets to some extent, downward
The “market” likes GDP growth, not contraction!
I think are really gonna have to get even more specific on what we like
It feels like this qtr earnings will be a sell on the good news event depending on election. I don’t know
The other side of the coin is just trade around the volatility that’s coming
There is a lot of money sitting on big cap gains looking for a reason to sell now that we are in Jan and can defer the taxes essentially for a year versus doing it in December.

Good news is GDP was already slowing since late '19 and of course last year and government spending has surged in the past year as well.. so not much is going to change under the "radical" "gnarly" or whatever Dems lol

Also, the market has always performed better under Democrats, historically. Not getting political, just speaking off historical data and experience. Last 10 out of 12 recessions were under a Republican.

The stock market has also rallied more since Election day 2020 than it did Election day 2016. All good signs. Of course the markets will contract, consolidate, etc like they normally do but we shouldn't see a crash under Biden as we did under Trump so volatility will continue to drop IMO. But the next couple weeks can change that because 1Q is always interesting.

#6341 3 years ago

For those looking to hedge some bets - here are some working for me:
SILV - up about 30 some percent in a month (silver miner)
MTA - up about 40% same time frame (Gold/Silver royalties)
RJI - up about 10% same time frame (Commodities basket)
NVARF - same strategy as MTA but with metals used to make batteries - solar just picked this one up
2 more futuristic baskets I just picked up - ARKG and ARKK
GOLD - Barrick Gold - only even on this one
Gold has broken out in the past week or so - hoping all these are a good play for this year

#6342 3 years ago
Quoted from Friengineer:

I'd buy $5000 of bitcoin and $20,000 in stocks. I personally missed out on the first big bitcoin boon, I have friends that bought houses in cash from their profits. But I've been buying a little here and there of Bitcoin and Ethereum and it's done better than my stock investments in the past year. I like to dabble enough in it that I won't miss out if it does what's predicted.

#6343 3 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Good news is GDP was already slowing since late '19 and of course last year and government spending has surged in the past year as well.. so not much is going to change under the "radical" "gnarly" or whatever Dems lol
Also, the market has always performed better under Democrats, historically. Not getting political, just speaking off historical data and experience. Last 10 out of 12 recessions were under a Republican.
The stock market has also rallied more since Election day 2020 than it did Election day 2016. All good signs. Of course the markets will contract, consolidate, etc like they normally do but we shouldn't see a crash under Biden as we did under Trump so volatility will continue to drop IMO. But the next couple weeks can change that because 1Q is always interesting.

If you really believe the market is going to perform better under a fully controlled Biden regime then I have nothing to say other than “past performance is not indicative of future results”

It’s still all about “don’t fight the Fed” but we are going down at least 5-10% on a Dem Senate win this month

And then lower if they repeal corporate tax cuts. A given

That’s why “the market” of 500 stocks is hardly ever the answer.

And if you look at the chart of EEM and VWO you will see a trend that I think will continue under Biden

#6344 3 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

I'd buy $5000 of bitcoin and $20,000 in stocks. I personally missed out on the first big bitcoin boon, I have friends that bought houses in cash from their profits. But I've been buying a little here and there of Bitcoin and Ethereum and it's done better than my stock investments in the past year. I like to dabble enough in it that I won't miss out if it does what's predicted.

I am about to sell my initial investment in Bitcoin and just ride the profits with 0 risk
bought in May and it's returned 256% since then

also done very with ETH

#6345 3 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

I am about to sell my initial investment in Bitcoin and just ride the profits with 0 risk
also done very with ETH

Book it!

#6346 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

If you really believe the market is going to perform better under a fully controlled Biden regime then I have nothing to say other than “past performance is not indicative of future results”
It’s still all about “don’t fight the Fed” but we are going down at least 5-10% on a Dem Senate win this month
And then lower if they repeal corporate tax cuts. A given
That’s why “the market” of 500 stocks is hardly ever the answer.
And if you look at the chart of EEM and VWO you will see a trend that I think will continue under Biden

Ice - you ever play the down trend with a short ETF?

#6347 3 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

also done very with ETH

Well done!

#6348 3 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

For those looking to hedge some bets - here are some working for me:
SILV - up about 30 some percent in a month (silver miner)
MTA - up about 40% same time frame (Gold/Silver royalties)
RJI - up about 10% same time frame (Commodities basket)
NVARF - same strategy as MTA but with metals used to make batteries - solar just picked this one up
2 more futuristic baskets I just picked up - ARKG and ARKK
GOLD - Barrick Gold - only even on this one
Gold has broken out in the past week or so - hoping all these are a good play for this year

Awesome! I was going to post in today asking for opinions and choices on gold and silver!

#6349 3 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

Ice - you ever play the down trend with a short ETF?

For me, I’ll buy the TZA 3x small cap leveraged ETF from time to time as a trade

Or just buy the VIX.

And sell covered calls against large positions, usually 2 months out

But I really like to buy stocks I want to own long term, at least 3-5 yrs and then buy more when they go on sale

Andres from Seeking Alpha just set some stops on part of the portfolio which I would NEVER do

And of course I have GOLD in defensive strategy allocation at 5% but that number might go to 15-25% this month if things go Dem tonight

And of course moving more money to Global and emerging markets

#6350 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

For me, I’ll buy the TZA 3x small cap leveraged ETF from time to time as a trade
Or just buy the VIX.
And sell covered calls against large positions, usually 2 months out
But I really like to buy stocks I want to own long term, at least 3-5 yrs and then buy more when they go on sale
Andres from Seeking Alpha just set some stops on part of the portfolio which I would NEVER do

Vix would be something I didn't think about - I also looked at DOG, I am wrong on timing too often to leverage a short.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
$ 12.95
Boards
PinSound

$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

There are 20,990 posts in this topic. You are on page 127 of 420.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stock-market-traders/page/127?hl=jy64 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.