Image 4-6-24 at 11.42?AM (resized).jpeg
IMG_7948 (resized).jpeg
kuiil-have-spoken.gif
200w.gif
gold24 (resized).jpg
counting_coins_02.gif
IMG_1659 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 21,012 posts in this topic. You are on page 120 of 421.
#5951 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

On November 4 CCL was $13.34, it's now $22.53
The "re-opening trade" is well under way.
I was/am hoping we would get one more bite at the panic shutdown apple with the overreactions taking place in certain parts of the country but it looks like the jig is up and people get it now.
Along with the vaccines coming, people are fed up.
SPG and MAC

Still holding MAC and not letting go. Thanks again for that tip Ice!

#5952 3 years ago

I'm taking Burl Ives advice for December-January.
"Silver and gold, silver and gold.
AMEX shipped 30 minutes after placing my order.
Hope people continue to sale gold to buy Bitcoin and JPMorgan keeps manipulating the price downward.
Never been too much of a gold bug but feel like the lid could come off in Feb.
10 year yield rising and dollar dropping off a cliff are in your face signs.

#5953 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

I'm not looking at a price, I am looking at a timeframe (lock up period), which is 3 days after they announce year end results (probably February timeframe).
Storytime: I worked for a unicorn that IPO'd. I was given X amount of shares, and a week before the IPO, they did a reverse split to get the share price to where they wanted to be for the IPO. During the lockup period, the share price doubled, but nobody could sell anything. After lockup, we had drifted back down to somewhere just north of IPO price. When you work for a public company, you only have about a 3-4 week period during a quarter that you can sell at. Long story short, I sold within about a dollar of the highest price ever during a window we could trade, stock cratered after I sold, and eventually the price settled back to the IPO price. The end.
Lesson's learned: Going to work for a company that is a unicorn is a crap shoot. Everybody thinks they are going to become millionaires but it all depends on when you got your equity and how diluted it was a the time of issuance. In this prior case the stock was heavily diluted. My current unicorn is not, so I have better upside from that perspective. Also, companies can and will do things prior to an IPO that can impact your equity. Finally, it does not matter how much the stock is worth at its peak, it matters what the stock is worth when you can sell it.

In a larger public company, only registered executives and 'in the know' employees are prevented from trading the stock during the quarter at various times. There are many myths about this lock-out being a universal condition, but most of these stories are folklore rather than fact. It has to do with the individual employee's access to confidential information. In smaller public companies it is easier to imagine that all employees know what's going on, with IP and fiscal matters, but in larger public companies, employees lower on the food chain do not. In my early days working for large public companies, I have never been prevented from trading their stock- ever! When I jumped into 500 person hot-box type startups that went public, I had the traditional 90-day or 180-day complete lockup, and then once that initial IPO+ period past, I did have much more stringent requirements on my trading.

#5954 3 years ago

PINS is $71 new all time high

Buying more

Motley Rule Breakers reiterated a BUY now again today

#5955 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

PINS is $71 new all time high
Buying more
Motley Rule Breakers reiterated a BUY now again today

I have been all in on PINS this past month in my day trading account (401k still in sensible mutual funds) and have been very happy. I am coming to learn that it is about impossible to stay abreast of comings and goings on everything, but by selecting a few stocks to read up on and speculate from a more informed position, you tend to do better.

I think that PINS is positioned to do well and continue to grow, particularly in the next 3 months. I think perceived political bias in many of the social networks is shifting people away from them, and towards about the only platform that has stayed out of politics (PINS). The left and right is mad at Facebook and Twitter right now. I also believe with more folks working from home or staying home, the Pinterest arts and crafts angle will do well. They are also getting started in foreign (non-American) markets.

The only thing tempting me right now outside of Pinterest in AIRBNB. I may take some profits from Pins and move some to AIRBNB as I think that one has potential, but I'm still investigating.

In any case, congratulations to TSLA owners.

#5956 3 years ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

In a larger public company, only registered executives and 'in the know' employees are prevented from trading the stock during the quarter at various times. There are many myths about this lock-out being a universal condition, but most of these stories are folklore rather than fact. It has to do with the individual employee's access to confidential information. In smaller public companies it is easier to imagine that all employees know what's going on, with IP and fiscal matters, but in larger public companies, employees lower on the food chain do not. In my early days working for large public companies, I have never been prevented from trading their stock- ever! When I jumped into 500 person hot-box type startups that went public, I had the traditional 90-day or 180-day complete lockup, and then once that initial IPO+ period past, I did have much more stringent requirements on my trading.

Having experienced this first-hand back in the dotcom boom/crash, I can tell you it's not all "folklore". I was in a company with thousands of employees, and we had company-wide blackout periods where nobody was allowed to trade, no matter what your role. Does that still happen today? I hope not.

#5957 3 years ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

Having experienced this first-hand back in the dotcom boom/crash, I can tell you it's not all "folklore". I was in a company with thousands of employees, and we had company-wide blackout periods where nobody was allowed to trade, no matter what your role. Does that still happen today? I hope not.

Both of you are correct. A lot of it depends upon the company and your role. Because I have moved from large tech to unicorns, we have strict restrictions. At my last company that went public, they would publish when we could and could not trade. As a sales guy, I have access to numbers; hence restrictions.

#5958 3 years ago

Anyone have any thoughts on RUTH? I bought some at $9.66 and it's at $17.01 today so I'm up about 76%. I don't have a lot, but was wondering if now would be a good time to get out? 52 week high is about $24.

I'm torn because of the "raging pandemic" and the "we are approving a vaccine". Kind of makes me think it could go either way.

#5959 3 years ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

We convereged. I used the terms "identified executives" and "in the know" employees to try and set the stage. Preventing fiscal mischief is what they are trying to prevent. There are many types of people with insight into aspects of the company that might influence stock price. Some companies are better than others at culling those employees into affected and non-affected groups. The reason I used the word 'folklore' is because many times it gets reported by people that have heard from friends who heard from their cousin what happened to them 10 years ago in a company that is entirely different from the one you are working at now.

Bottom line: If you know something confidential about the inner workings of a company's products or services or sales or similiar, if it will affect stock price, then you are likely prevented from trading on that company's stock REGARDLESS of whether you have been told so.

#5960 3 years ago

That SNOW pop today is wild. Up 25% off the after hours lows yesterday, and Microsoft had a press release announcing new competition for them. I played with fire and shorted 100 shares a couple hours ago and covered already for about $600 gain. It sure seems like it's got a long way to fall though.

My WBA shares are up $20k in two days. Sadly I'm still underwater on them. I sold off my swing shares, but I'm still holding my core position.

#5961 3 years ago

RIOT 52 week high today. Up 187% in one month and nobody talking about it here. Makes me even more bullish.

#5962 3 years ago
Quoted from vex:

RIOT 52 week high today. Up 187% in one month and nobody talking about it here. Makes me even more bullish.

Blockchain and Bitcoin type plays are very speculative, and stock can tank as quickly as the wind. That said, RIOT has a nice 6 month run-up, and at <$10 a share, could be a good flyer in the short term, with little investment, but not a guarantee long term since the space is so crowded by big names.

#5963 3 years ago
Quoted from vex:

I was following it during the last mania. I think it's still only 1/3 of what it got to then. Back when all those worthless companies were adding blockchain to their names and going up hundreds of percent overnight. Remember when Long Island Ice Tea changed their name to Long Island Blockchain and went up 200% overnight?

#5964 3 years ago
Quoted from vex:

Why buy the company? Buy the crypto direct!

#5965 3 years ago

To get advices and tips on Pins and stocks, Pinside is the place to be...

#5966 3 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

I was following it during the last mania. I think it's still only 1/3 of what it got to then. Back when all those worthless companies were adding blockchain to their names and going up hundreds of percent overnight. Remember when Long Island Ice Tea changed their name to Long Island Blockchain and went up 200% overnight?

History repeats itself over and over. Have a quick read: https://www.channelfutures.com/open-source/open-source-history-the-spectacular-rise-and-fall-of-va-linux

#5967 3 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Why buy the company? Buy the crypto direct!

I feel better if I can hit the eject button quickly and RIOT goes in lockstep with BTC. I also like to day trade it to add some shares, when things work out of course.

#5968 3 years ago

I had a 3% money market at a local bank, no limit, that held my cash. After 12 months the new promo rate is now 1.55% with an 1.56% APY for the foreseeable future. Anyone know anything better for FDIC insured cash?

I called another bank that was advertising 3% and they had a cap of $25k yeah umm that won’t work gratefully I told them.

#5969 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Storytime: I worked for a unicorn that IPO'd. I was given X amount of shares, and a week before the IPO, they did a reverse split to get the share price to where they wanted to be for the IPO. During the lockup period, the share price doubled, but nobody could sell anything. After lockup, we had drifted back down to somewhere just north of IPO price.

I had a similar situation in a much smaller company. We went through a merger, which required me to purchase my options and pay capital gains tax. They reverse split the stocks to bump up the price, valued it at a fictitiously high $15, put it on the penny stock market with a lockout period shorter for the executives+investors than employees.

Long story short one investor protested the merger, and got a settlement for $10/share, which in hindsight was a brilliant move. When the lockout period ended for executives+investors they were cashing out at about $7-8, and by the time employee lockout happened it was well under $1. I had so many shares, the transaction fees at the time would have eaten up most of the return, so I just held for novelty's sake. Long story short, it may not even matter how early you were (I started day 1 with 7 others), the amount of options, the strike price, or the dilution of your equity, there are still plenty of ways an investor can get shafted.

#5970 3 years ago

GoodRX took a slide with the announcement of Amazon entering the pharmaceutical business. Over reaction? Buying opportunity for GoodRX? Looks like years back Netflix took a dive for a short time after Amazon announced prime streaming and Walmart when amazon acquired Whole Foods, they also quickly recovered. Thoughts on GoodRX, will amazon be able to dominate this industry?

#5971 3 years ago
Quoted from athenspin:

GoodRX took a slide with the announcement of Amazon entering the pharmaceutical business. Over reaction? Buying opportunity for GoodRX? Looks like years back Netflix took a dive for a short time after Amazon announced prime streaming and Walmart when amazon acquired Whole Foods, they also quickly recovered. Thoughts on GoodRX, will amazon be able to dominate this industry?

I would think it's an over reaction considering they've already been in the pharmaceutical business for 1.5 years when they bought Pillpack. But I also like to sell low and buy high.

#5972 3 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

The only thing tempting me right now outside of Pinterest in AIRBNB. I may take some profits from Pins and move some to AIRBNB as I think that one has potential, but I'm still investigating.

I’m thinking there is going to be a bit of a feeding frenzy on Airbnb.

I am very interested but am no shark. If I can avoid being chum, I will initiate a position. otherwise I will probably wait until it settles a bit.

#5973 3 years ago

You have DoorDash and AirBnB IPO’ing this week. I am not a fan of either, and will not get into them unless my guy sprinkles some on me for a quick trade. I do not like the financials or business model of either. This Forbes article is very negative on DoorDash in particular.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/greatspeculations/2020/12/03/doordash-the-most-ridiculous-ipo-of-2020/?sh=1bc6c5b35704

#5974 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

You have DoorDash and AirBnB IPO’ing this week. I am not a fan of either, and will not get into them unless my guy sprinkles some on me for a quick trade. I do not like the financials or business model of either. This Forbes article is very negative on DoorDash in particular.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/greatspeculations/2020/12/03/doordash-the-most-ridiculous-ipo-of-2020/?sh=1bc6c5b35704

What a shitty time to go public. I am surprised they will start with a fire-sale priced IPO... sure the stock will rise in value as COVID fades, but they get paid for the shares NOW when they are covid discounted. That said, probably worth grabbing some to sit on for year or so...

#5975 3 years ago

What a shitty time to go public. I am surprised they will start with a fire-sale priced IPO... sure the stock will rise in value as COVID fades, but they get paid for the shares NOW when they are covid discounted. That said, probably worth grabbing some to sit on for year or so...

The prevailing thought is that this is actually a good time between now and the end of next year to IPO. I think it depends on the industry. I know my company is looking to offer next year due to the climate. I think it is a horrible time if you are in the hospitality arena.

Of all of the companies IPO'ing this week, the only one I have any interest in is C3.ai.

#5976 3 years ago

There is so much money sloshing around in the market right now...I would imagine many a company is looking to capitalize on it.

The bouncing around in valuation for Airbnb over the last rounds of funding for example and this current ipo is dramatic. In my opinion they got squeezed in February, but the end of week pricing could easily get a bit eye watering.

#5977 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

The prevailing thought is that this is actually a good time between now and the end of next year to IPO. I think it depends on the industry. I know my company is looking to offer next year due to the climate. I think it is a horrible time if you are in the hospitality arena.
Of all of the companies IPO'ing this week, the only one I have any interest in is C3.ai.

CS.ai (formerly C3IOT) will be a winner. Great backers, great founders, long list of clients, in one of the hottest technology areas of recent history.

m

#5978 3 years ago

PLTR came back from the dead. Up 4 on just a contract....This stock is all over the place. Tough to hold if it picks up a few more points as it can turn on a dime.

#5979 3 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

PLTR came back from the dead. Up 4 on just a contract....This stock is all over the place. Tough to hold if it picks up a few more points as it can turn on a dime.

Good stock for the day trader right now.

#5980 3 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

This bump was based on news. They won a contract with the us government. Other govts likely to follow suit. My take: Stock is a winner in the medium term. Volatility is based on people taking profits from surges but cagr is up and to the right.

#5981 3 years ago
Quoted from Bospins:

This bump was based on news. They won a contract with the us government. Other govts likely to follow suit. My take: Stock is a winner in the medium term. Volatility is based on people taking profits from surges but cagr is up and to the right.

The FDA news with PLTR is not a big issue. It is extending a contract that has been in place 10 years I believe.

#5982 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

The FDA news with PLTR is not a big issue. It is extending a contract that has been in place 10 years I believe.

exactly....on a normal day a software/consulting stock would go up a point or 2 then give some back at the close....This thing is up 2 more overnight...Since it in my IRA I can buy or sell and not worry about short term gains tax

#5983 3 years ago

Internet privacy protocol deal with Apple. Not sure what it really means.

Tik Tok coming back into the picture.

Buyout rumors all over the place.

Told you guys not to drop the ball on FSLY.

Yes i sold 1/2 my PLTR position around $26

#5984 3 years ago

CS.ai (formerly C3IOT) will be a winner. Great backers, great founders, long list of clients, in one of the hottest technology areas of recent history.
m

When does this launch?

#5985 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Internet privacy protocol deal with Apple. Not sure what it really means.
Tik Tok coming back into the picture.
Buyout rumors all over the place.
Told you guys not to drop the ball on FSLY.
Yes i sold 1/2 my PLTR position around $26

Yep.

How about CCL?

#5986 3 years ago

Jumped back in RKT yesterday after selling previous position for a profit

#5987 3 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Yep.
How about CCL?

Well of course, another 6-9 months hold, then sell. When they start sailing, just like the 737 max just started flying the sense of reality starts to set in!

#5988 3 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Jumped back in RKT yesterday after selling previous position for a profit

GL Bmore, too many other better options out there imho.

#5989 3 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

When does this launch?

Looks like they will price the IPO today with trading maybe tomorrow?

#5990 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

GL Bmore, too many other better options out there imho.

I got back in under $20 and going to hold for a while this time as long as interest rates are low
one of my newsletters with a good record recommended it

#5991 3 years ago

I got back in under $20 and going to hold for a while this time as long as interest rates are low

It's ok Bmore, I am in the boat with you on this.

#5992 3 years ago

Quoted from DBLM:

It's ok Bmore, I am in the boat with you on this.

I got back in yesterday under 20 too!

#5993 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Looks like they will price the IPO today with trading maybe tomorrow?

What's the ticker?

#5994 3 years ago
Quoted from Kkuoppamaki:

What's the ticker?

AI

#5996 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Not enough details yet out there for me to have an opinion. With it being installment payment credit, it is an interesting space. It is part of the so-called Paypal Mafia, and has Peter Thiel backing it, so there is wood behind the arrow, but could also be manipulated a bit. Look forward to seeing the filings.

Some more details/analysis on the affirm ipo:

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4392869-affirm-be-cheering-on-sidelines-for-this-one

#5997 3 years ago

DoorDash priced their IPO at $102/share, valuing the company at 32.4B. My response:

532F0CFD-DF25-46C8-8A97-4F1540952E5A.gif532F0CFD-DF25-46C8-8A97-4F1540952E5A.gif
#5998 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

DoorDash priced their IPO at $102/share, valuing the company at 32.4B. My response:
[quoted image]

Pretty much. Even AirBnb I feel they are grasping a bit at straws trying to get the most money they can at the IPO to help them get out of this COVID situation they are in. I feel everyone is going to try to get in and then dump their stocks. Someone is going end up holding the stick when the stock crashes.

#5999 3 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:Pretty much. Even AirBnb I feel they are grasping a bit at straws trying to get the most money they can at the IPO to help them get out of this COVID situation they are in. I feel everyone is going to try to get in and then dump their stocks. Someone is going end up holding the stick when the stock crashes.

I’d like to open a position in Air b&b but I’m going to sit it out for a bit. So much hype in this ipo, I’m thinking it’s going to be pretty volatile for awhile.

#6000 3 years ago
Quoted from athenspin:

I’d like to open a position in Air b&b but I’m going to sit it out for a bit. So much hype in this ipo, I’m thinking it’s going to be pretty volatile for awhile.

Yup. In the new year at some point.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 18.95
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.95
There are 21,012 posts in this topic. You are on page 120 of 421.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stock-market-traders/page/120 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.