IMG_7948 (resized).jpeg
kuiil-have-spoken.gif
200w.gif
gold24 (resized).jpg
counting_coins_02.gif
IMG_1659 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 20,994 posts in this topic. You are on page 111 of 420.
#5501 3 years ago
Quoted from Elvishasleft:

Welp.. never a good sign when the president builds a retaining wall around the white house.

I am going to step up to the political line but not go over it with this point. DC has the potential to be a flashpoint tonight, which could hurt markets. Sorry for the length of this but I encourage you to read.

ShutDownDC is a fairly active group that is planning 3 days of protests here as close to the White House as possible. I have no problems with this, although they are using some fear mongering language. From their website:

"Votes will still be coming in, so this will (probably) not be the time we need to create disruption to stop a coup - yet. But we’ll be in a good place to respond to whatever might happen."

What I do have an issue with is the map that they published that doxxes Trump campaign donors and staff members. Here is there publicly available ArcGIS map with their plans for 3 days of protests. You can click on that below. This crosses a line in my opinion, when you allow people to target specific people. I feel the same way when the right doxxes the left, for what it is worth.

Regardless of where you sit on the political spectrum, civil political protests is an underpinning of our country. However, I am concerned that actions of this group and others similar are doing things to provoke negative reactions from opponents. It goes from being "I hate the current President and want to voice my disdain" to being that kid in school that would get in your face and say that I am not touching you. When you go too far, you are almost inviting a response, which I guess they are. DC businesses are boarded up right now, which is a crying shame on a day that normally signifies a peaceful transfer of power.

My fear is that you get opposition groups or 3rd party actors of all political stripes looking to cause confrontation or take advantage of a situation. In this case, everybody loses with the exception of troublemakers.

As you can see from their calendar of events, multiple days of activities are planned. We all know due to individual states and their timeframes for counts, the current raft of lawsuits already poised to go from both the left and the right, and the spector of recounts, we could have several days of unrests. Maybe up to 10 days or so. As an American, these things weigh on me greatly. As a stock investor, the spread of these types of events, the duration, and the strength of them could impact the markets. I would watch the news closely and be selective in my market moves at this point.

At the end of the day, I am hoping cooler heads prevail.

Links:
https://www.shutdowndc.org/calendar/event-five-tfgmt
https://a99gis.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapSeries/index.html?appid=c763c74243604abc822c0bd113082b4b

#5502 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

I am going to step up to the political line but not go over it with this point. DC has the potential to be a flashpoint tonight, which could hurt markets. Sorry for the length of this but I encourage you to read.
ShutDownDC is a fairly active group that is planning 3 days of protests here as close to the White House as possible. I have no problems with this, although they are using some fear mongering language. From their website:
"Votes will still be coming in, so this will (probably) not be the time we need to create disruption to stop a coup - yet. But we’ll be in a good place to respond to whatever might happen."
What I do have an issue with is the map that they published that doxxes Trump campaign donors and staff members. Here is there publicly available ArcGIS map with their plans for 3 days of protests. You can click on that below. This crosses a line in my opinion, when you allow people to target specific people. I feel the same way when the right doxxes the left, for what it is worth.
Regardless of where you sit on the political spectrum, civil political protests is an underpinning of our country. However, I am concerned that actions of this group and others similar are doing things to provoke negative reactions from opponents. It goes from being "I hate the current President and want to voice my disdain" to being that kid in school that would get in your face and say that I am not touching you. When you go too far, you are almost inviting a response, which I guess they are. DC businesses are boarded up right now, which is a crying shame on a day that normally signifies a peaceful transfer of power.
My fear is that you get opposition groups or 3rd party actors of all political stripes looking to cause confrontation or take advantage of a situation. In this case, everybody loses with the exception of troublemakers.
As you can see from their calendar of events, multiple days of activities are planned. We all know due to individual states and their timeframes for counts, the current raft of lawsuits already poised to go from both the left and the right, and the spector of recounts, we could have several days of unrests. Maybe up to 10 days or so. As an American, these things weigh on me greatly. As a stock investor, the spread of these types of events, the duration, and the strength of them could impact the markets. I would watch the news closely and be selective in my market moves at this point.
At the end of the day, I am hoping cooler heads prevail.
Links:
https://www.shutdowndc.org/calendar/event-five-tfgmt
https://a99gis.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapSeries/index.html?appid=c763c74243604abc822c0bd113082b4b

1. The current occupant will be there at least until January
2. The Supreme Court will settle any "He said she saids"
3. Freezing cold weather will discourage people going out on the street
4. The stock market has already priced in extreme volatility, expect up and downs for the next few days.

#5503 3 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

1. The current occupant will be there at least until January
2. The Supreme Court will settle any "He said she saids"
3. Freezing cold weather will discourage people going out on the street
4. The stock market has already priced in extreme volatility, expect up and downs for the next few days.

I think you missed the point of my post completely....

Freezing weather in DC?! When? This is not what I would consider a cold area. Sure, we get some days below 30 in January/February. It’s going to be in the 70’s here for the rest of the week starting tomorrow.

#5504 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

I think you missed the point of my post completely....
Freezing weather in DC?! When? This is not what I would consider a cold area. Sure, we get some days below 30 in January/February. It’s going to be in the 70’s here for the rest of the week starting tomorrow.

See Number 2. They will shut that shit down and the Market will continue to thrive.

#5505 3 years ago
nathan-fillion.gifnathan-fillion.gif
#5506 3 years ago

DJIA up 525. It is evident these Traders know something most people don't.

#5507 3 years ago

The market is on fire. Including the defense industry giants like NOC, LMT, RTX and Boeing (BA). Those traders must know something...

#5508 3 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Including the defense industry giants like NOC, LMT, RTX and Boeing (BA). Those traders must know something...

That one is really perplexing. If that is an indicator, would it appear the current regime will stand?
Or does this spike anticipate a regime change and a reversal of recent actions of troop reductions and withdrawals?

#5509 3 years ago

A friend of mine "in the biz" said the general thought is that Dems may crush it...

in which case more generous stimulus becomes far more likely sooner than later which will give things a kick in the ass.

usually Dems winning would not be good news but stimulus is really what they are betting on hence the boost.

#5510 3 years ago
Quoted from Elvishasleft:

A friend of mine "in the biz" said the general thought is that Dems may crush it...
in which case more generous stimulus becomes far more likely sooner than later which will give things a kick in the ass.
usually Dems winning would not be good news but stimulus is really what they are betting on hence the boost.

I have a friend that said the exact opposite. Guess thats why they don't like talking politics here.

#5511 3 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

I have a friend that said the exact opposite. Guess thats why they don't like talking politics here.

well its not really "politics"... Im not saying one is any better then the other etc.

Just that this is what some people are thinking on the inside (i.e. someone who actually works literally on wall street).

#5512 3 years ago

Your Friend is correct, the Market is signaling confidence this will be definitive.
If it is not I hope people hedged.

#5513 3 years ago

So as of mid-morning the day after it is looking like all is lost for Trump. The circumstances will likely result in a protracted court battle, and who knows what else. But, the senate may possibly stay in Republican hands. So what to do now? Stocks up or down? Get in or get out? Switch 401k and IRA over to Roth while we have the benefit of Trumps lower taxes or wait to see how it all plays out? Anybody got any useful insight for a dummy like me?

#5514 3 years ago
Quoted from sbmania:

So as of mid-morning the day after it is looking like all is lost for Trump. The circumstances will likely result in a protracted court battle, and who knows what else. But, the senate may possibly stay in Republican hands. So what to do now? Stocks up or down? Get in or get out? Switch 401k and IRA over to Roth while we have the benefit of Trumps lower taxes or wait to see how it all plays out? Anybody got any useful insight for a dummy like me?

Ride it out. Elections happen every 4 years and it rarely effects stock market long term.
In fact, it just keeps going up.

#5515 3 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

I am officially 100% cash in my "day trading fund". I am quite certain that the stock market will be down today (Friday) through the day after the election (11/4). I will jump back in as soon as late day 11/4 TBD. I rode the market down to a 50% loss during COVID, and as of this morning I'm up around 10% for the year, so I'm more than happy.
I have not yet decided what to jump back in on yet, but Rocket is at the top of my list for 11/10 earnings, followed by PINS (I got my 50% rise in 3 weeks), TSLA (depending how far it dumps).
Once again looking for short term, not long term gains.
Good luck everyone!

Whelp... Jumped back in. I'm all in on PINS now. I jumped out at 67.50 and back in at 61.30 so I got about a 10% discount on a reinvestment... not bad for a few days out.

Looks like the market is going to the moon today. Good luck everyone!

#5516 3 years ago
Quoted from sbmania:

Anybody got any useful insight for a dummy like me?

Yes, don't assume all is lost, nothing is over.

#5517 3 years ago

Got into AAPL at 107/sold at 115.. Not bad.

#5518 3 years ago

Looks like the stock market loves gridlock. Nothing meaningful will get done in the next four years so there isn’t anything standing in the way of the stock market. We should be looking good once the Covid vaccine gets released. I think we are heading higher for the rest of the year.

#5519 3 years ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

Looks like the stock market loves gridlock. Nothing meaningful will get done in the next four years so there isn’t anything standing in the way of the stock market. We should be looking good once the Covid vaccine gets released. I think we are heading higher for the rest of the year.

This. CNBC just had an analyst on who said exactly this.

#5520 3 years ago

Well Chinese EV continue to crush... after NIO rally now XPEV is up %23 today, + nearly 5% after hour. That Citigroup increase seems to have lit that one on fire...

#5521 3 years ago

I think it's happy with a Republican controlled Senate that Biden can't ram through any drastic changes

#5522 3 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

I think it's happy with a Republican controlled Senate that Biden can't ram through any drastic changes

Aren't they saying there's two run-off seats for the Senate that will still decide that? And those won't be decided for months?

#5523 3 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

Aren't they saying there's two run-off seats for the Senate that will still decide that? And those won't be decided for months?

Yeah, but even at most a 50-50 split will mean nothing aggressive gets thru.

Wall Street loves gridlock.

What I find funny is going into the week it was “rally due to big wave meaning lots of stimulus”. Then it was “rally because everything stays the same”. Then it was “rally because gridlock is good.”

#5524 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

What I find funny is going into the week it was “rally due to big wave meaning lots of stimulus”. Then it was “rally because everything stays the same”. Then it was “rally because gridlock is good.”

Oaken spot on. this is totally my feeling as well. Weird that the market sees optimism in every scenario, given the massive global headwind of the resurging pandemic.

#5525 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

I think part of the reason why is because what other options are there for your money right now?

Interest rates suck

Investment real estate with COVID is sketchy at best

Keep it under your mattress- stimulus inflation will possibly get you

Might as well put it in the market where the money is still liquid if you need it.

I have put a good chunk in lately because I don’t know what else to with it.

In this environment probably buying pins is not even a bad option!

#5526 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Part of it is there were a lot of hedges put on for the election for protection. Now those hedges have to be unwound, which slingshots the market higher.

#5527 3 years ago

At least 34 Senate seats will be on the ballot in 2022 (12D and 22R) with 3 of the most vulnerable incumbent Rs Burr, Johnson and Toomey already declaring they wont run

#5528 3 years ago
Quoted from jorge5240:

I think part of the reason why is because what other options are there for your money right now?
Interest rates suck
Investment real estate with COVID is sketchy at best
Keep it under your mattress- stimulus inflation will possibly get you
Might as well put it in the market where the money is still liquid if you need it.
I have put a good chunk in lately because I don’t know what else to with it.
In this environment probably buying pins is not even a bad option!

All true, plus I think its overlooked just how much new money flows into the markets every Friday with 401k, 403b payroll contributions. Those $ have to go somewhere and I would guess most participants in those plans just sign up and do automatic reallocation or have never changed their original choices.

#5529 3 years ago
Quoted from boscokid:

At least 34 Senate seats will be on the ballot in 2022 (12D and 22R) with 3 of the most vulnerable incumbent Rs Burr, Johnson and Toomey already declaring they wont run

And history shows the party out of the white house adds seat in the next election. Gridlock is good and the market is reacting.

#5530 3 years ago

Depends on who you talk to... some people seem to think Biden will be terrible for the economy in general and that will drag markets down over time.

Others see the gridlock as good so if the senate stays republican he will have a hard time going nuts on taxes etc.

Either way he is likely to push more stimulus and that will definitely jump the market.

#5531 3 years ago

A little off topic but Tesla Tequila just became available on the Tesla website, limit 2 per person. I believe it’s going to be a short run, I picked up a bottle to put on the shelf! I have enough Tesla stock to justify the bottle, just missing the car.

#5532 3 years ago

TTD. Trade Desk

#5533 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

TTD. Trade Desk

Well, if we had only bought when it was cheaper. Up $$77 in after hours is amazing.
However, im to late to the party. Will it crack 1k a share? I hope so for all those that got this the past 6 months.

#5534 3 years ago

Anyone going long over the weekend gets the brass wheels award.

#5535 3 years ago
Quoted from athenspin:

A little off topic but Tesla Tequila just became available on the Tesla website, limit 2 per person. I believe it’s going to be a short run, I picked up a bottle to put on the shelf! I have enough Tesla stock to justify the bottle, just missing the car.

Already sold out!

#5536 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

TTD. Trade Desk

Rounded the bases and touched second on TTD for a double bagger, long term holding and headed for third.

Bought PLTR today on a buy alert from one of my Seeking Alpha subscription services. Long term hold position. Will see how it goes.

#5537 3 years ago
Quoted from Pin-Pilot:

Already sold out!

I knew I should’ve bought two.

#5538 3 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Bought PLTR today on a buy alert from one of my Seeking Alpha subscription services. Long term hold position. Will see how it goes.

Welcome to the club. Bought a couple thousand shares at IPO. Will be interesting to see what happens next.

#5539 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Welcome to the club. Bought a couple thousand shares at IPO. Will be interesting to see what happens next.

Interesting tid bits - one of the PLTR founders, Robert Theil, was the first outside investor of FB when he bought 10.2% of the company in 2004. He paid $500,000 for it. Damn! He also cofounded PayPal. Palantir’s technology supposedly was used to find and kill Osama Bin Ladin. Smart dude

#5540 3 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Palantir’s technology supposedly was used to find and kill Osama Bin Ladin

It's also used to map gangs, terror organizations, and citizens. It tracks you and everyone else's association. It'll be a winner in the long run. The government uses it for surveillance and power, two things the gov never gives up.

#5541 3 years ago

I jumped onto PLTR this morning. It is on a tear this morning.

#5542 3 years ago
Quoted from Pin-Pilot:

I jumped onto PLTR this morning. It is on a tear this morning.

i thought there was going to be a pull back

NOPE

#5543 3 years ago

Plenty of upside potential on BALY (Bally's Corporation) that begins trading on Monday November 9th.

Currently trading under the Twin River name until then (TRWH).

Disclosure, I bought in prior to the Bally's Corporation name change announcement. I'm very happy with the performance and what's ahead.

#5544 3 years ago
Quoted from Bospins:

i thought there was going to be a pull back
NOPE

There are many thoughts about the market recently. The norm is no longer the norm. Nothing makes sense.

Not pulling back today...Thats for sure.

#5545 3 years ago

Nobody seems to be factoring in just how bad the next round of covid shutdowns (or failures to shut down) will be. New case count spiked to 128K yesterday, and that's with all the restrictions already in place. Virtual / remote biz will continue to do fine, but all else is a crapshoot right now. As for Tesla, Toyota's CEO cautioned on them today; FYI, if you look at reliability data, Tesla sucks. They're winning on popularity rather than substance; it remains to be seen if Tesla will be the auto industry's iPhone or its Blackberry. SpaceX has better long-term odds than Tesla.

#5546 3 years ago
Quoted from bobmathuse:

Nobody seems to be factoring in just how bad the next round of covid shutdowns (or failures to shut down) will be. New case count spiked to 128K yesterday, and that's with all the restrictions already in place. Virtual / remote biz will continue to do fine, but all else is a crapshoot right now. As for Tesla, Toyota's CEO cautioned on them today; FYI, if you look at reliability data, Tesla sucks. They're winning on popularity rather than substance; it remains to be seen if Tesla will be the auto industry's iPhone or its Blackberry. SpaceX has better long-term odds than Tesla.

If you look at Tesla as a car company you are looking at it incorrectly. The car building of Tesla I could care less about.

#5547 3 years ago

I am liking my calls on both PLTR and RKT. RKT is beginning to move up again with earnings coming on Tuesday. Do your diligence but I like being in on both of these.

#5548 3 years ago

Long on PLTR.

In Thiel I trust.

#5549 3 years ago
Quoted from bobmathuse:

A bold but accurate analysis.

Quoted from tacshose:

If you look at Tesla as a car company you are looking at it incorrectly. The car building of Tesla I could care less about.

Great second opinion.

#5550 3 years ago

I don’t know for certain but last week’s run was being discussed as being caused by a purple Congress. Now, that’s not quite so certain. Anyone have strong feelings about if the market will dip back down until that’s know for certain?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

$ 12.95
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 20,994 posts in this topic. You are on page 111 of 420.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stock-market-traders/page/111?hl=elvishasleft and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.