Image 4-6-24 at 11.42?AM (resized).jpeg
IMG_7948 (resized).jpeg
kuiil-have-spoken.gif
200w.gif
gold24 (resized).jpg
counting_coins_02.gif
IMG_1659 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 21,019 posts in this topic. You are on page 106 of 421.
#5251 3 years ago

Yah I dont know you would even begin to discuss the stock market and ignore politics.

They are pretty well intertwined.

I usually find all the political talk boring as shit but its relevant to any stock related discussions.

#5252 3 years ago

Its usually the "tolerant side", that is intolerant.

#5253 3 years ago
Quoted from Elvishasleft:

Yah I dont know you would even begin to discuss the stock market and ignore politics.
They are pretty well intertwined.
I usually find all the political talk boring as shit but its relevant to any stock related discussions.

Agreed, but, as I recall, it is possible to talk politics without being insulting & divisive.

#5254 3 years ago
Quoted from Bearcat:

Agreed, but, as I recall, it is possible to talk politics without being insulting & divisive.

I think it used to be at one point in our lifetimes. =)

The best bet is to keep it as passionless as possible. Like, "Here's a link to Candidate A's tax plan, and here is what they are claiming." Or..."Candidate B's policy and strategy appears to be (X)."

Those would probably be fine....but when people pile on to interpret, or say that a candidate is lying....well, that just devolves fast.

Anyhow, I agree that it is very hard to talk about the market without mentioning the potential political policies. However, we definitely are trying to clean all of this up...and the politics talk is getting very opinionated and abrasive.

#5255 3 years ago

Groovy is up today like crazy.

#5256 3 years ago
Quoted from Bearcat:

Well I use the easy method which is to not give a shit...

I know what my opinions are and no one posting anything on the internet is going to change that so why argue with them or care what they say.

#5260 3 years ago

Let’s get this thread back on topic. BABA is looking good. The cloud division is about to turn a profit and “Singles Day” is just around the the corner. Looks like the stock will see new highs soon. Baba is maybe one of three Chinese stocks I like. Most of the others scare me.

#5261 3 years ago

iceman44 Nice call on PINS brother...up over 18% since I bought. TY!

#5262 3 years ago
Quoted from kidchrisso:

iceman44 Nice call on PINS brother...up over 18% since I bought. TY!

Agreed same here on PINS thanks to iceman44 i hope he comes back ASAP

#5263 3 years ago

Sold my position in WKHS, 1000 shares, 400% profit. I got lucky, but time to jump off that train. I'm not very confident they are going to win the USPS contract, or even a portion of it. Many analysts feel that contract win is already baked into the stock price. So if they dont win, its going to plummet.

#5264 3 years ago

Anybody else get in on Palantir? Got 1750 shares @ $10 on the open.

#5265 3 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

True.
Personally, I believe the Canadian Government would never let Air Canada fail. It's the only national carrier in Canada. I could be naive in this statement. Now when AC merges with Air Transat in the fourth quarter it will give AC not only be the title of only "Canadian National Airline" but also the owner of Canada's biggest Holiday Travel Airline. They would have all bases covered.
Some of these companies have huge cash reserves but the real determining factor is the time it will take for people to hop on the band wagon again and travel. News of a working vaccine would be the determining factor here and the amount of doses required to protect the population. I hoping we receive news before the end of November on that front.

Be careful with Air Canada. Back about 15 years ago in real lean times they wound down the company and screwed over all the shareholders. Then reissued equity to start fresh again. This was all condoned by the federal government in order to avoid bankrupting the national carrier. Guess who it pained most? Shareholders. Wouldn’t put a dime into any Canadian airline at any time because of this.

#5266 3 years ago

Now you can buy Playboy and you don't have to hide it from your mom.

The lifestyle brand announced Thursday its intention of becoming a publicly traded company after a nearly 10-year absence from the stock market. But in a very 2020 move, Playboy is merging with Mountain Crest Acquisition, a special purpose acquisition company (SPAC), in a $415 million deal. It will eventually trade on the Nasdaq under the symbol "PLBY."

#5267 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Anybody else get in on Palantir? Got 1750 shares @ $10 on the open.

I've made money several times buying an IPO on day 2. Let the dust settle, let many take there profit, buy on that low, then hold for a week or 2, then sell when it hits its opening peak again+.
Worked pretty good with SNOW recently.
Fyi, do not buy snow above 218.
Palantir imo is a fun play at mid 8ish, but this is a stock that could pop to 20 with one fart in the wind. It is not a long hold imo for me. Crazy structure of management that could cause problems long.
RTX , my boy Raytheon, hitting some lows of lows. Pays good div, if your willing to go long long on this 2-3 years it will double+ while you make nice div rewards.

#5268 3 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

I've made money several times buying an IPO on day 2. Let the dust settle, let many take there profit, buy on that low, then hold for a week or 2, then sell when it hits its opening peak again+.
Worked pretty good with SNOW recently.
Fyi, do not buy snow above 218.
Palantir imo is a fun play at mid 8ish, but this is a stock that could pop to 20 with one fart in the wind. It is not a long hold imo for me. Crazy structure of management that could cause problems long.
RTX , my boy Raytheon, hitting some lows of lows. Pays good div, if your willing to go long long on this 2-3 years it will double+ while you make nice div rewards.

Very familiar with Palantir on a variety of fronts. I am fine with my price that I am in on it. This is going to be a volatile trade but I am ready for that.

I did very well with RTX earlier in the year. Fully agree with you on this company.

#5269 3 years ago

Anybody else still playing RKT? It is on fire right now!

#5270 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

road it up, down, and now back up

#5271 3 years ago

I rang the register on part of the position in the 30's, bought another good whack at 24, and, doubled what was left of my original position at 21. Let's roll, baby!

#5272 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Very familiar with Palantir on a variety of fronts. I am fine with my price that I am in on it. This is going to be a volatile trade but I am ready for that.
I did very well with RTX earlier in the year. Fully agree with you on this company.

I’m curious what you feel this company has going for it? They have been around for awhile and are no where close to making a profit. This isn’t a dig in any way. I just don’t see it. They solve big data problems but can’t seem to figure out how to make that profitable. Most big data companies do that in-house. Seems like a bad business model to me.

#5273 3 years ago

I’ve seen a lot of Macerich mentioned. As the company who owns my local mall and who handles the leases for my arcade, fuck those bastards.
They are such a sleazy company, and most their malls that I deal with in New York are dying. My local mall is for sale, and they’ve bleed nearly 40% of their remaining tenants while considering that they already had TWO EMPTY WINGS of stores that left PRE-covid.

Even Pyramid is adapting and redesigning their malls far outpacing Macerich. And from the talk coming out of their meetings with the top execs I have little faith in them at all. Every other large company has given fantastic rates and been very forgiving with rent.
Macerich told me “we could be very forgiving and that’s entirely our discretion so we’re NOT gonna do that and instead you have to be current and then if you’re not bankrupt by 2021 we might give you a 1/4 rate reduction!!”

What a joke. Not surprising their stock is doing terrible.

#5274 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Yes! Bought in at 19.99 yesterday. Rates are low. I haven't refinanced but have been quoted under 2% APR elsewhere. See lots of refinancing in the next 6 months.

#5275 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

I had a limit buy order in on Tuesday and Wednesday for 19.87 and it never filled.

#5276 3 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Yes! Bought in at 19.99 yesterday. Rates are low. I haven't refinanced but have been quoted under 2% APR elsewhere. See lots of refinancing in the next 6 months.

They did implement an extra .5 percent fee on refinances starting in December so that may slow the refinancing boom.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/fannie-mae-freddie-mac-will-delay-controversial-refinance-fee-2020-08-25

#5277 3 years ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

I’m curious what you feel this company has going for it? They have been around for awhile and are no where close to making a profit. This isn’t a dig in any way. I just don’t see it. They solve big data problems but can’t seem to figure out how to make that profitable. Most big data companies do that in-house. Seems like a bad business model to me.

I am very familiar with this market sector. They offer a platform that organizations use to solve a variety of problems; ie a tool. Palantir is a tool that organizations use, as well as R, Python, BI, big data storage, etc, etc. So it is not a matter of in-house vs not; it is a matter of if you are using their platform. They have shifted to where 53% of their revenue is Federal, which is a huge market for them. They just knocked down a 35M deal at NIH and are doing big business everywhere. For certain sectors, they are becoming a defacto standard and are winning contracts uncompeted. For these reasons, I am willing to take a flyer on them to see where they go.

#5278 3 years ago

Nice! I still have 2/3rds my initial position at 18. Funny you mention rates; I am talking with folks tomorrow to see if we can go lower (refinanced end of last year). Housing where you and I live has exploded.

#5279 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

I am very familiar with this market sector. They offer a platform that organizations use to solve a variety of problems; ie a tool. Palantir is a tool that organizations use, as well as R, Python, BI, big data storage, etc, etc. So it is not a matter of in-house vs not; it is a matter of if you are using their platform. They have shifted to where 53% of their revenue is Federal, which is a huge market for them. They just knocked down a 35M deal at NIH and are doing big business everywhere. For certain sectors, they are becoming a defacto standard and are winning contracts uncompeted. For these reasons, I am willing to take a flyer on them to see where they go.

Ok - but you didn’t win me over. I can’t get over that nearly 500 million loss last year. A new 35 mil contract isn’t even going to make a dent in that.

#5280 3 years ago

Ok - but you didn’t win me over. I can’t get over that nearly 500 million loss last year. A new 35 mil contract isn’t even going to make a dent in that.

Not my job to win you over. If you like it, buy it. If not, don’t.

#5281 3 years ago

Hey iceman44 still worth buying more PINS at its current price?

#5282 3 years ago
Quoted from tacshose:

Hey iceman44 still worth buying more PINS at its current price?

Motleyfool says yes. Wish i would have bought before that ha.

#5283 3 years ago

Non political statement. The president just tested positive for COVID-19. Me thinks stocks relying on an early reopening are going to have a bad day today. What stocks do you think will be on sale or we be on sale today. I heard that after the JFK assassination it took 2 days for the market to recover so this may be but a brief setback for the market.

#5285 3 years ago

Non political statement. The president just tested positive for COVID-19. Me thinks stocks relying on an early reopening are going to have a bad day today. What stocks do you think will be on sale or we be on sale today. I heard that after the JFK assassination it took 2 days for the market to recover so this may be but a brief setback for the market.

I agree, look for a market over reaction.

(My non partisan thoughts)
I always thought it was a when, not if the Trump gets it.
How to you have contact with 100's of people a day who have contact with 100's of people a day and not get it?
I do think this puts some more cards in Biden's hands for the election ... next debate still happening?

#5286 3 years ago

From market perspective, Senate business is potentially impacted. Might mean that if there is a negotiated and agreed to new relief bill, then the senate may have to delay a vote on it.

#5287 3 years ago

The premarket trades are interesting. Apple is taking a hit. If it goes below $110 I think I'll be a buyer today. Maybe Rocket if goes below $20.

#5288 3 years ago

The premarket trades are interesting. Apple is taking a hit. If it goes below $110 I think I'll be a buyer today. Maybe Rocket if goes below $20.

Doesn't look like it is going to happen.

#5289 3 years ago

Just bought AAPL and AMZN. Longer shutdown looks good for them to me.

#5290 3 years ago

Just bought AAPL and AMZN. Longer shutdown looks good for them to me.

I don't think you can go wrong with those two. Without a doubt they are long term winners.

#5291 3 years ago

Below is from Calculated Risk blog. The movement has been unprecedented.

563E7380-383D-4584-8F24-4AB37A2394DF.png563E7380-383D-4584-8F24-4AB37A2394DF.png
#5292 3 years ago

Market is shaking off the Trump news pretty well right now. CNBC was speculating a trap-door sell off, caused by tight stops that people had set. It would not surprise me to see the market just slightly up or down today at the close.

#5293 3 years ago

This year in the market remains mind boggling to me. Using common sense I figured TSLA had every reason to tank going into covid with no profits in a razor thin margin businesss with shut down factories and no incentive for consumers to buy cars as they started working from home or went on unemployment. It went from there to become the hottest stock in the world now valued at more than the top 4-5 car makers in the world, combined. smh

TTD caught me off guard as well considering I worked in that industry. Marketing budgets literally dried up and competitors went bankrupt, while even Google was whining about a drop in ad revenue, but they have other streams of income, while TTD does not, and even now with marketing budgets not fully recovered TTD is a double this year. smh

I thought PINS was a bit undervalued but only bought a little @$18 and now I'm in that typical investor quandary where at 2x my cost do I sell or buy more? So I just sit and watch it climb.

Did I learn anything? Nope. It remains easy to over-think everything... stock picking remains closer to throwing darts than following common sense. But hindsight is 20/20 and "don't fight the fed" is the phrase of the year. Now that PPP and unemployment are drying up, cold weather sets in, restaurants holding business outside are going to be hit again, and a bunch of people I know are out of work, does logic dictate we move to more cash, or do we do the opposite of common sense and go all in, just because?

PS: PLTR is tempting, as I'm aware of the value of data. But as a secretive company running in the red... throw a dart I guess.

#5294 3 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

TSLA had every reason to tank going into covid

TSLA isn't a car company. It's a data company. Think about all the data they have. Every driver, every minute, every day. They are light years ahead of the big car companies in terms of fully autonomous cars.

#5295 3 years ago
Quoted from Friengineer:

TSLA isn't a car company. It's a data company. Think about all the data they have. Every driver, every minute, every day. They are light years ahead of the big car companies in terms of fully autonomous cars.

Tesla is a technology company, but the valuation isn't because of the data. What Telsa has in terms of data is hardly a fraction of what Google acquires daily from Maps, Waze, searching and advertising. If in the future Telsa was the only car manufacturer left in the world, it still wouldn't have a fraction of the data Google has today, yet Telsa has already reached 40% of Google's valuation.

From a battery perspective, even if Telsa was the only Li-Ion battery company in the world, it's already valued at a multiple of all those, combined. They have Solar too but it's losing money and requires a ton of R&D to get that technology turned up. If they licensed their autonomous software to all other car manufacturers, there still isn't quite the money there for this valuation either.

That's the long way of saying, Tesla has a lot going for it, but is data, batteries, software, cars, and solar enough to be a $400B company, even forward looking? The good news is that Google, Amazon, and Apple took their massive investments to diversify and justify the advanced valuations. For Tesla with Musk at its helm, it could certainly get there at some point, I mean he is out-competing NASA in his spare time. But even with all that today's valuation feels a bit too extended to me. To me SpaceX is more of a game changer, but that's Musk's longer term play. Interesting times for sure.

#5296 3 years ago

Paging iceman44 to kindly return

#5297 3 years ago

Dear Leader just gave you all you need. Check Twitter.

#5298 3 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

Oh sweet baby Jesus, what was it now.

Don't have twitter, but BRB

WELP, it figgers.

#5299 3 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

It almost doesn't seem legal.

#5300 3 years ago

Just a hard negotiation tactic when a stalemate becomes insurmountable. I feel like both sides would really like to see this happen before the election.
Nothings over, you can't just turn it off.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.95
$ 18.95
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 21,019 posts in this topic. You are on page 106 of 421.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stock-market-traders/page/106 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.