Image 4-6-24 at 11.42?AM (resized).jpeg
IMG_7948 (resized).jpeg
kuiil-have-spoken.gif
200w.gif
gold24 (resized).jpg
counting_coins_02.gif
IMG_1659 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 21,013 posts in this topic. You are on page 102 of 421.
#5051 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

that's not a big jump compared to some of these other stocks not making nearly that much and still going up 500%. Prob a good time to buy more apple.
I'm long on them anyway

yah but appl is a real company not some crazy unicorn

#5052 3 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Bailing on TESLA today. In at 342 last week so winning no matter what... Trying to guess what the high for the day will be. Figure it will likely go up Monday and part of the day Tuesday, then crash again.

Screw it... just bailed on Tesla at 443. I'll take a $100 a share profit in two weeks anytime!

Trying to resist the urge to buy things in the interim. May sell some other stuff to. Looking hard at AAPL if it drops under $100.

#5053 3 years ago

Bought some more APPL a bit early at $116. I will wait to see if it dips to around $100 to buy more. I'm not looking to sell any time soon. What I am wondering about is MSFT. They have great growth over the long haul, but have been stagnant the past 3 months while everything else took off. This is again a long term keeper for me, but curious to know what price everyone thinks is a discount buy for MSFT.

#5054 3 years ago

Is it me or does Jeremy Seagal look like every Jr high geeky shop teacher?

Message from the Freeeeek Kingdom.

#5055 3 years ago

Pretty sure I'm cashing out of WKHS soon. I'm a small time investor, so 6x profit on my small position, 1000 shares, is a nice cash infusion to reinvest on the coming dip.

#5056 3 years ago
Quoted from Monk:

Bought some more APPL a bit early at $116. I will wait to see if it dips to around $100 to buy more. I'm not looking to sell any time soon. What I am wondering about is MSFT. They have great growth over the long haul, but have been stagnant the past 3 months while everything else took off. This is again a long term keeper for me, but curious to know what price everyone thinks is a discount buy for MSFT.

Tik Tok China fear retaliation

It gets resolved by Sunday or deferred until after election

Either way, bought more Apple today

Can’t argue for waiting

Next 45 days are gonna be volatile.

Use to buy what you like. Uncle FED is there to back you up.

Get yourselves a portfolio that wins either way on the election risk

#5057 3 years ago
Quoted from Elvishasleft:

Why is it crazy?
Appl went from $370 a share in March to over $500....
Its not crazy when it blows up and gets ahead of itself only when it goes down?

It needed to

Now we get a gift

#5058 3 years ago

Sold 7 AAPL $106.50 puts Wednesday that expired worthless today. Almost got assigned on those....

Sold 7 AAPL $101.50 puts for next Friday expiration.

Sold 7 JPM $95.50 puts expiring next Friday.

I think next week could be rough after quad witching today, so I wouldn't be shocked if I end up having to buy either of those.

#5059 3 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Pretty sure I'm cashing out of WKHS soon. I'm a small time investor, so 6x profit on my small position, 1000 shares, is a nice cash infusion to reinvest on the coming dip.

6X, that’s awesome!! As of this afternoon my position with WKHS 2X. Hopefully they can sustain this run. I don’t want to completely cash out but I’d definitely like to take some profits and play with house money!

#5060 3 years ago

RGB just died. RIP. This makes a Trump reelection more likely. Betting odds will reflect this Monday. Markets like Trump. I say a 500 point rise in the Dow Monday.

#5061 3 years ago

RGB just died. RIP. This makes a Trump reelection more likely. Betting odds will reflect this Monday. Markets like Trump. I say a 500 point rise in the Dow Monday.

Guy on the news said this all but assures a Biden presidency. I guess you can twist it either way to fit your beliefs.

#5062 3 years ago

Rip Ruth. Babe, you were tough as nails.
Respect, chest bump. 27 years girl, damn.
My phone went off within minutes of her death.
What's great about America is that I 100% disagree with you. The turmoil this could cause next week affects the market. We were on the brink of a stimulus package. That now could be held as a pawn to a nomination. I feel a deadlock in this till after election.
Anyway, those were the phone calls I got.
At least I got some Appl today.

#5063 3 years ago

Regardless of politics, I thought RBG was an incredibly thoughtful and sincere Justice. I always got the sense that she was trying to do what she thought was right. She lead an incredible life and will definitely leave a void on the Supreme Court.

#5064 3 years ago

You got it.

Brings issue to the front

Do you want a constitutionalist?

Who’s on the Biden list. Let’s see it

We need to adhere to the rule of law and constitution or there is no country

Unless you live in DC or Virginia

The market will react accordingly

Chief Justice Roberts has already secured her legacy

#5065 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Who’s on the Biden list. Let’s see it

Merrick Garland, among others.

#5066 3 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

Merrick Garland, among others.

Lol. Says who? The teleprompter?

He doesn’t know what day it is

This is why it’s so important for the future of our country

What you think is right? For whom?

#5067 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Regardless of politics, I thought RBG was an incredibly thoughtful and sincere Justice. I always got the sense that she was trying to do what she thought was right. She lead an incredible life and will definitely leave a void on the Supreme Court.

Very well said.

#5068 3 years ago

Monday market prediction has proven... fasle. I sold all my TSLA and held cash Friday. I'm going to sell everything else (in day trading fund) today at the market open. I'm up so no biggie. I am eying 2 major investment opportunities.

1. I predict TSLA will spike then crash this week. I think Tuesday by the close it may see 500, but by the end of the week it is likely to be back closer to or even under 400. If it hits 360 again I will back up the truck.

2. I may jump on the APPL train if it drops below 100.

Looking to time the market (big mistake I know) and see what is on sale.

With RGB down this week politics will be volatile. I think things will settle down a bit on Wednesday next week (the 30th) assuming the debate happens on the 29th.

#5069 3 years ago

Or a 750-point bloodbath. You just never know with these markets!

#5070 3 years ago
Quoted from wtuttle:

Or a 750-point bloodbath. You just never know with these markets!

See post above where I eat my words.

#5071 3 years ago

Monday market prediction has proven... fasle. I sold all my TSLA and held cash Friday. I'm going to sell everything else (in day trading fund) today at the market open. I'm up so no biggie. I am eying 2 major investment opportunities.
1. I predict TSLA will spike then crash this week. I think Tuesday by the close it may see 500, but by the end of the week it is likely to be back closer to or even under 400. If it hits 360 again I will back up the truck.
2. I may jump on the APPL train if it drops below 100.
Looking to time the market (big mistake I know) and see what is on sale.
With RGB down this week politics will be volatile. I think things will settle down a bit on Wednesday next week (the 30th) assuming the debate happens on the 29th.

This downturn seems more about the virus shutting down Europe again than politics.

#5072 3 years ago

See post above where I eat my words.

I certainly meant no offense. I just mean there is just no way to predict anything on a day-to-day basis. I still think a reasonable level for the Dow is about 22,000...present levels do not reflect the reality of what the market should be based on: earnings. Earnings are down largely across the board. It's just stimulus and interest rate hacking making stocks seemingly the only suitable place to have your money.

#5073 3 years ago

What's the over / under on hitting the halt trading switch today?
DAMN

#5074 3 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

What's the over / under on hitting the halt trading switch today?
DAMN

If memory serves, there is a 30-minute time-out for the market at -7%. So we'd need to lose another 4.5% or so to trigger that. Probably not happening today, but I hear you.

#5075 3 years ago

Put the Duke brothers' seats on the exchange up for sale at once; seize all assets of Duke & Duke Commodities Brokers, as well as all personal holdings of Randolph and Mortimer Duke.

#5076 3 years ago

Mama always said there was gonna be some short term volatility!

Embrace the fear, profit from it

Down big early back in green for me

FSLY, SHOP, TTD, AAPL, SE, PINS coming

There’s always a bull market somewhere

And that big fat “Fed put” is sitting there firmly in place

#5077 3 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

We were on the brink of a stimulus package. That now could be held as a pawn to a nomination. I feel a deadlock in this till after election.

Bingo!

#5078 3 years ago

you guys think we could retract below 3000 on the s&p 500 or even lower?

#5079 3 years ago

Did Deeproot tank the market?

They keep trying to “fight it” don’t they?

#5080 3 years ago

Hmmm...Apple back to $110 today on a down day. How about that?

Own it, don't trade it, buy more on dips. I've said it 100 times, but hey, whatever floats your boat.

Nice up day overall.

#5081 3 years ago

SHOP : Shopify lands long-term love from Goldman Sachs • 3:04 PM
Goldman Sachs boosts its price target on Shopify (SHOP +1.1%) to $1,318 after factoring in a much higher take rate for the online platform over the long term.
"We believe the steady growth in value-added services offered by SHOP has significantly expanded the company’s opportunity per merchant," updates the firm.
While most of Wall Street expects big growth numbers out of Shopify, GS takes the math all the way out to 2040 to see total revenue of over $161B.
Wall Street scorecard on Shopify: 13 Buy-equivalent ratings, 18 Neutral-equivalent ratings and 3 Sell-equivalent ratings.

E-commerce is a thing right? Lol

Yeah it’s a bit too high short term

What the heck. Own it until 2040?

#5082 3 years ago

So what's the smart buy right now ICE? What should we buy this evening/tomorrow morning? Is Apple at $110 still a smart pick?

#5083 3 years ago

I picked up more MAC today and got some RDSa as well. RDSa hasn't been this low since 1993ish.

I'm in for the long haul.

#5084 3 years ago
Quoted from DadofTwins:

So what's the smart buy right now ICE? What should we buy this evening/tomorrow morning? Is Apple at $110 still a smart pick?

Well I bought a bunch at $110 for the long term

PINS is my largest holding currently

SE and TTD are next. TTD gets in the buy range for me at $415-430

SE $125-130 ish

Should have added to Apple at the open but I was too busy following The DR disaster. Jk

Might get that opportunity again

Money is just rotating sectors right now. Tech is still the place to be heading into the 4th qtr

Especially after this recent drift down

Of course SPG and MAC, which got thrown out today will bounce back big on holiday season and the vaccine I think

CCL a bit later, 1st qtr when vaccine is readily available across the world

ACC and VICI are two more REITS I like

I like a barbell approach right now with TECH and in the ditch with Tech over weighted.

SGEN, CRSP and the etf ARK.G in biotech, genomics and health care

#5085 3 years ago

Just my two cents btw

Nobody knows what’s gonna happen short term

I like where the “market” is today versus a few weeks ago.

I remind myself every day I wake up, “don’t fight the fed”

Today was more about no stimulus package before the election worries

I believe it gets done because there is an election and big chunk of the moderate Pelosi crew needs it’s done

#5086 3 years ago

Hi guy really new to trading. What do you guys do when markets crash...keep the stocks you have and just buy more on sale or take stocks out and wait for the crash to happen and then buy? I'm debating on the right approach.

Got caught up in NNOX...bought some shares at $18 and then $52 just to watch everything crash. I thought I had done some due diligence by looking into the board of directors and who they were. I'm still holding the shares.

I have diversified in roughly 15 stocks. Don't want to stretch myself too thin.

#5087 3 years ago

Sleepy proposing the biggest capital Tax gain in history. Not happy to hear. Wonder how the market will react..

#5088 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Sleepy proposing the biggest capital Tax game in history. Not happy to hear. Wonder how the market will react..

Lol. Yeah that tax plan has been out for a bit. Nobody pays attention to it because they don’t want to hear it

TAXES on everyone that makes a living are going way up under Biden

Just read the plan

Even if Trump wins these tax cuts expire in 2025

The savings for the lower and middle class are proportionately bigger than for those at the upper end

I get that anything above basic math 2+2=4 is tough for a lot of workers to understand BUT.....

Just take a look at the proposed marginal tax brackets under Biden versus today.

Forget Cap gains taxes and the loss of the step up in basis for all

With dynamic scoring his plan raises $3.2 trillion over 10 yrs. Pelosi and Schumer want to dole that sum out tomorrow on top of all the $$ already spent

What’s hard to grasp is this: Revenues to the treasury go UP when you lower taxes like Trump did because of the increase in GDP growth!!!!!

A lesser % on a bigger pie of productivity

Even if the net effect was zero between the plans at least Trump results in JOBS, higher wages for the middle class and GROWTH!!!

That’s the bottom line right there folks.

The ONLY chance to get out of debt and deficits is to GROW and INFLATE our way out.

You can’t TAX your way out. People are leaving in droves from high tax states like California, New York and New Jersey.

Their answer? Hike taxes more and then hope the federal govt will bail
Them out

Simple As that

#5089 3 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

Hi guy really new to trading. What do you guys do when markets crash...keep the stocks you have and just buy more on sale or take stocks out and wait for the crash to happen and then buy? I'm debating on the right approach.
Got caught up in NNOX...bought some shares at $18 and then $52 just to watch everything crash. I thought I had done some due diligence by looking into the board of directors and who they were. I'm still holding the shares.

My Advice would be trade but make sure you have long term keepers. I know a few “traders” who only trade with 10-20% of their portfolio and have the rest invested long term. Some of the folks also use QQQ as their home base part of their portfolio To go along with their long term stocks. They also turn short term trading off for periods of volatility like the past couple of weeks. Like how could you trade today with the market so erratic?

For long term perspective my Dad did well but not a rich guy for sure and he made two $50k bets on AAPPL, one at $8 and another at $10 about 10 years ago and held them. Now he has over $1 million worth and collects $700 a month in AAPL dividends as gravy on top. He never sold. He just bought chunks of SHOP at $400 and $500 this year also. Didn’t sell that yet either and has no plans to. Ice has some good long term picks. I own most of them also. Good luck Flash!

Edit some minor mistakes my Dad said he did do was not reinvest his dividends back into AAPL to buy more shares and he sold a tiny bit of AAPL 5 years ago. He can’t remember what he bought.

#5090 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Mama always said there was gonna be some short term volatility!
Embrace the fear, profit from it
Down big early back in green for me
FSLY, SHOP, TTD, AAPL, SE, PINS coming
There’s always a bull market somewhere
And that big fat “Fed put” is sitting there firmly in place

Roku?! I was up 1.25% with 32% cash in my portfolio. Weird day for sure. And thanks for reminding me about SHOP. I sold all earlier when I went to trim tech and need to buy back. Cheers Ice

#5091 3 years ago

Read this article and apply your own stocks to it. For 10 yrs.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4375562-you-want-to-retire-in-10-years-spend-2020-buying-stocks

#5092 3 years ago

Thoughts on SVC? It looks like it could be a good long term option.

#5093 3 years ago

Depends on the reason you bought them in the first place.
Gambling/Investing
Sometimes a crash is a discount and reason to buy
Sometimes a stock declines for a very good reason and it's time to sell

#5094 3 years ago

Here is my issue with stocks. I own some, but not a lot compared to most of you guys / gals. My issue is when I look at what I've made on a particular stock and then I look at the 30% capital gains, it seems like if you're not making $5k or $10k trades, you're just working for the government. For example, let's say I buy 100 shares of Stock X at $10/share and it goes up to $12/share. I sell it and take my 20% profit which is only $200. Now remove the crazy short term capital gains of $40 and I've made $140.

I guess it's $140 I didn't have yesterday, but on the downside, I could easily lose more than that $200 and the write offs are limited from my understanding. Maybe my reasoning is flawed......

So instead of buying stocks, I've just been putting 31% of my pay in my 401K. Maybe that's not the best way to go, but it's better than nothing.

Are there any of you that just play with a little money? I just don't have the capital to play with $30k trades on a regular basis like I see in some posts because I spent it all on pinball machines.

#5095 3 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Here is my issue with stocks. I own some, but not a lot compared to most of you guys / gals. My issue is when I look at what I've made on a particular stock and then I look at the 30% capital gains, it seems like if you're not making $5k or $10k trades, you're just working for the government. For example, let's say I buy 100 shares of Stock X at $10/share and it goes up to $12/share. I sell it and take my 20% profit which is only $200. Now remove the crazy short term capital gains of $40 and I've made $140.
I guess it's $140 I didn't have yesterday, but on the downside, I could easily lose more than that $200 and the write offs are limited from my understanding. Maybe my reasoning is flawed......
So instead of buying stocks, I've just been putting 31% of my pay in my 401K. Maybe that's not the best way to go, but it's better than nothing.
Are there any of you that just play with a little money? I just don't have the capital to play with $30k trades on a regular basis like I see in some posts because I spent it all on pinball machines.

Don't forget about your tax advantaged accounts.

You can put $6,000 in a ROTH or traditional IRA every year. If you put your money into a ROTH account, you use "after tax dollars". From here on out that money grows tax free. So if you drop your money into a ROTH IRA, you can buy/sell/trade all you want with no tax implications so long as it stays in the account. You can start at $6,000, and make $500,000 per year in the market listening to ICEMAN. You can't withdraw the money until you reach retirement age, but when you withdraw the money you do not pay income tax and you do not pay capital gains.

Were you to have your money in a non-tax advantaged account, yes, much of what you say is true.

#5096 3 years ago

Don't forget about your tax advantaged accounts.
You can put $6,000 in a ROTH or traditional IRA every year. If you put your money into a ROTH account, you use "after tax dollars". From here on out that money grows tax free. So if you drop your money into a ROTH IRA, you can buy/sell/trade all you want with no tax implications so long as it stays in the account. You can start at $6,000, and make $500,000 per year in the market listening to ICEMAN. You can't withdraw the money until you reach retirement age, but when you withdraw the money you do not pay income tax and you do not pay capital gains.
Were you to have your money in a non-tax advantaged account, yes, much of what you say is true.

I've thought about backing down my contribution and moving some of the 401k dollars into a Roth. Can you buy individual stocks "inside" of a Roth? They aren't funds like they are with my 401k? Is the growth non-taxable or just the initial investment?

As for making 500k following iceman44 I'm not sure that I have the bankroll.

#5097 3 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

I've thought about backing down my contribution and moving some of the 401k dollars into a Roth. Can you buy individual stocks "inside" of a Roth? They aren't funds like they are with my 401k? Is the growth non-taxable or just the initial investment?
As for making 500k following iceman44 I'm not sure that I have the bankroll.

Yes. You can open an IRA with most banking institutions or through someplace like Schwab or Vangard. You buy individual stocks, ETFs, mutual funds, and I think you can buy bonds and a few other financial instruments if that is your thing. The general recommended investment strategy is as follows:

1. Contribute to 401k options up to the match (if you have one).
2. Max out an IRA (ROTH recommended).
3. Max out remainder of 401k up to the max.
4. Consult a financial expert for other tax differed recommendations.

I am also a big fan of the following flowchart that I am sure will open a huge can of worms here.

https://i.imgur.com/lSoUQr2.png

lSoUQr2 (resized).jpglSoUQr2 (resized).jpg

#5098 3 years ago

Yes. You can open an IRA with most banking institutions or through someplace like Schwab or Vangard. You buy individual stocks, ETFs, mutual funds, and I think you can buy bonds and a few other financial instruments if that is your thing. The general recommended investment strategy is as follows:
1. Contribute to 401k options up to the match (if you have one).
2. Max out an IRA (ROTH recommended).
3. Max out remainder of 401k up to the max.
4. Consult a financial expert for other tax differed recommendations.
I am also a big fan of the following flowchart that I am sure will open a huge can of worms here.
https://i.imgur.com/lSoUQr2.png
[quoted image]

Keep in mind that Roth IRA's have income limits. Based upon income you may or may not be able to participate.

2020+Roth+IRA+Income+Phaseout+Limits (resized).PNG2020+Roth+IRA+Income+Phaseout+Limits (resized).PNG
#5099 3 years ago

If this is another down day, I'll be adding to QQQ, APPL, and CCL. Maybe a few others.

#5100 3 years ago

Taxes are taxes. If you're making money, you're paying taxes. I don't mind paying the man. Do I wish capital gains taxes were less? Of course. How do you keep them under control? Vote.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

$ 18.95
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 12.95
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

There are 21,013 posts in this topic. You are on page 102 of 421.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stock-market-traders/page/102 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.