(Topic ID: 262969)

Stock Market Crashing affecting buyers

By brobra

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Data-Center- (resized).jpg
    wall-street-still2-c3d1e94bcacd81642ec8d184e00d8638 (resized).jpg
    Microsoft is down three points.gif

#1 4 years ago

What are your thoughts on buyers drying up and overall deprecation of pins based on the current corona virus crisis?
    Has anyone seen a correlation between big stock market events and the price of pins?
    I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

#2 4 years ago

My thoughts are it's pretty pointless to try to determine trends in pinball pricing based upon three days.

Although now that you mention it...I haven't sold any pinball machines since Monday.

OH SHIT!

#3 4 years ago

Yeah, my collection isnt worth shit anymore. Might as well keep it.

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from brobra:

What are your thoughts on buyers drying up and overall deprecation of pins based on the current corona virus crisis?
    Has anyone seen a correlation between big stock market events and the price of pins?

Yep, now sell me your games cuz they aint worth shit.

#5 4 years ago

Check "the next Stern" thread...OUTBREAK has just been announced, based on the 1995 film.
    Apparently Stern is keeping up with current events.

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from brobra:

There could be a surge in demand for pins if a pandemic hits as people will be forced to stay in their homes for entertainment vs. seeking it in public locations.

If a recession does hit like in 08-09 I think prices could dip a little. One of the few pins I've sold and lost money on was a nice Demo Man I sold in 2009 for a couple hundred loss ($1150).

#7 4 years ago

There is currently no affect. The market is going to correct itself over the next month or two. The media is acting this virus is super cancer when in reality it’s typically cold and flu symptoms. Yes it will affect some people more severely, but so does the flu.

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from brobra:

Nonsense. It's not a crisis here. "Crisis" would imply a local or national catastrophe. It's just clickbait at this point.

Quoted from brobra:

Not recently. The biggest event was probably back in 2008/2009. The landscape has changed quite a bit since then.

Quoted from brobra:

Is there something that is causing you some concern?

#9 4 years ago

The government suggests everyone stockpile a 1-3 year supply of NIB pins and assorted projects, just in case. I don't make the rules, folks...

#10 4 years ago

I'm actually curious if some of the doom-saying "we're all going to die" hype is simply because there were not as many ordinary/average Chinese civilians with smartphones in 2003 (SARS outbreak) and 2009 (H1N1 pandemic).

Not only could this have led to less global awareness of the impact of the spread, the global public had no idea how hard China cracked down on the spread with quarantines and travel restrictions that are common knowledge now due to the ease with which Chinese citizens can comment on those sorts of things on WeChat, etc.

In reality, a lot of the same countermeasures were utilized in the past, but it may seem more significant now due to "citizen journalism"?

#11 4 years ago

I have a 2500 dollar budget to purchase project pins. I have become more discerning in choice. Will the virus affect sales of higher dollar pins? I would imagine a 2-5% drop that correlates with other non-essential luxury items.
    However, stock of indoor amusement items( Netflix, video games, etc) has actually stayed green. Price of pins could actually INCREASE significantly.

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from c508:

I'm actually curious if some of the doom-saying "we're all going to die" hype is simply because there were not as many ordinary/average Chinese civilians with smartphones in 2003 (SARS outbreak) and 2009 (H1N1 pandemic).
    Not only could this have led to less global awareness of the impact of the spread, the global public had no idea how hard China cracked down on the spread with quarantines and travel restrictions that are common knowledge now due to the ease with which Chinese citizens can comment on those sorts of things on WeChat, etc.
    In reality, a lot of the same countermeasures were utilized in the past, but it may seem more significant now due to "citizen journalism"?

Journalism itself has changed quite a bit.

As for China, the reason why all these diseases get started, especially species-jumping diseases, is that outside of modern & upper class areas, China has a serious hygiene & sanitation problem.

1) They eat lots of wild animals, tainted/diseased/uncooked meat, and dogs. Yes, they eat dogs. There are thousands of restaurants across that advertise it as "gou rou"--it's not just a fringe thing. Many of these dogs are street dogs in poor health that should be unfit for consumption. China just enacted a law this past week banning the consumption & trade of wild animals to help curb the spread of disease in the wake of the coronavirus.
    2) There isn't a lot of hand washing, even when preparing food.
    3) Many public bathrooms are just open pits under a floor with holes in it. No running water, toilet paper, sinks, or soap.
    4) People spit in public constantly.

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Journalism itself has changed quite a bit.
    As for China, the reason why all these diseases get started, especially species-jumping diseases, is that outside of modern & upper class areas, China has a serious hygiene & sanitation problem.
    1) They eat lots of wild animals, tainted/diseased/uncooked meat, and dogs. Yes, they eat dogs. There are thousands of restaurants across that advertise it as "gou rou"--it's not just a fringe thing. Many of these dogs are street dogs in poor health that should be unfit for consumption. China just enacted a law this past week banning the consumption & trade of wild animals to help curb the spread of disease in the wake of the coronavirus.
    2) There isn't a lot of hand washing, even when preparing food.
    3) Many public bathrooms are just open pits under a floor with holes in it. No running water, toilet paper, sinks, or soap.
    4) People spit in public constantly.

The Chinese don't stop at dogs... Cats, bats, virtually any living creature is fair game. Tremendous pollution especially in Wuhan. They recently had huge demonstrations there similar to what was going on in Hong Kong. Corona came at a perfect time to shut both down. Chinese also smoke like chimneys, so you have a ton of people with compromised lungs from smoking and pollution and you introduce a respiratory virus. Of course many more people living under those conditions will die compared to some other areas.

#14 4 years ago

I don't think most people live there day-to-day lives based on the stock market. At least for me, the money I invest in the stock market has nothing to do with my pinball budget. Does is suck seeing my retirement savings dropping, sure, but it helps that it's been pretty much nothing but gains for the past decade.

#15 4 years ago

I bought In...

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from Xenon75:

They recently had huge demonstrations there similar to what was going on in Hong Kong. Corona came at a perfect time to shut both down.

#17 4 years ago

money i spend on entertainment is 100% separate from investments
    no correlation for me

#18 4 years ago

Play your games until your fingers fall off.

Being happy and stress-free helps to build your immune system.

Leave your games on free-play, and with the "rule cards" properly in place, so that future generations scouring the wasteland for food to eat, will discover them and be able to experience the legend of "silver ball".

Oh crap... I hope they have DC converters for their portable fusion batteries.

#19 4 years ago

I will buy games at 50% pinside estimate before the big crash

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

money i spend on entertainment is 100% separate from investments
    no correlation for me

The point is if you have LESS money to spend on entertainment such as pinball due a recession it will 100% affect pinball NIB buying or otherwise

Prices today are vastly higher than 08-09

The doomsday preppers in the other thread disagree, they are buying masks, peanut butter and jelly

IF a recession were to hit due to the virus or politics then not only could NIB sales take a huge hit you might see some go out of business as a result

Nobody is talking about trading your current lineup like stocks.

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

There is currently no affect. The market is going to correct itself over the next month or two. The media is acting this virus is super cancer when in reality it’s typically cold and flu symptoms. Yes it will affect some people more severely, but so does the flu.

yep, remember the swine flu? it was way worse than corona as far as the U.S. goes.

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

The media is acting this virus is super cancer when in reality it’s typically cold and flu symptoms. Yes it will affect some people more severely, but so does the flu.

Out of curiosity, what personal medical qualifications or opinions of other qualified medical professionals are you basing that statement on?

I'm reading the exact opposite from medical professionals.

Claim: ‘It is no more dangerous than winter flu’

Many individuals who get coronavirus will experience nothing worse than seasonal flu symptoms, but the overall profile of the disease, including its mortality rate, looks more serious. At the start of an outbreak the apparent mortality rate can be an overestimate if a lot of mild cases are being missed. But this week, a WHO expert suggested that this has not been the case with Covid-19. Bruce Aylward, who led an international mission to China to learn about the virus and the country’s response, said the evidence did not suggest that we were only seeing the tip of the iceberg. If borne out by further testing, this could mean that current estimates of a roughly 1% fatality rate are accurate. This would make Covid-19 about 10 times more deadly than seasonal flu, which is estimated to kill between 290,000 and 650,000 people a year globally.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/28/coronavirus-truth-myths-flu-covid-19-face-masks

#23 4 years ago

Dented cans are half-price. Microsoft is down three points...have to save some money.

Microsoft is down three points.gifMicrosoft is down three points.gif
    #24 4 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Nonsense. It's not a crisis here. "Crisis" would imply a local or national catastrophe. It's just clickbait at this point.

Not recently. The biggest event was probably back in 2008/2009. The landscape has changed quite a bit since then.

Is there something that is causing you some concern?

My concern is I feel pins are discretionary, non-essential luxury items. I am currently buying quite a few, and wanted to check with the community to see if any dealers/retailers have seen/felt correlations, I personally feel CV-19 is way overblown, I should probably buy a good index fun now, and more pins later with the $.

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from okayestpinballer:

Out of curiosity, what personal medical qualifications or opinions of other qualified medical professionals are you basing that statement on?
    I'm reading the exact opposite from medical professionals.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/28/coronavirus-truth-myths-flu-covid-19-face-masks

PanzerFreak’s statement is basically true -

however this virus is FAR more contagious than the average flu (it is not even in the same ballpark as a cold).

And when people get the flu, they usually don’t *die* from it. The official count is 2800 in China alone, and people freaked out over SARS which killed 600. A virus where you could die in a day without having any prior symptoms is pretty unusual, and certainly serious. How do i know? We have gotten this information from the MDs in our face every single day since the 2nd week.

Whether it’s a “crisis”, I am not an authority on that. the stock market certainly seems to think so.

#26 4 years ago

SP500 was 700 pts a decade ago

Today its 3000 pts

No one lost money.

We took a 10% haircut on money we didnt earn from dollars we didnt need that we plan to never touch.

What's worse, a drop value or capital gains tax (aka the other drop in value)

3000 pts is not a crash

700 pts is a crash

We survived that, we will survive this

I cannot wait for the next crash. I'm ready. Let this bitch burn down so I can plant some wealth seeds!

Disclaimer: I still work every day & do not own a yacht or helicopter, so my opinion means nothing. If you are in the same situation as me your opinion has similar value.

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from whthrs166:

I bought In...

...And made money (for the first time) on a down market. Opportunity knocks even in bad situations, you have to take a few risks, and go get it. I am not a expert trader, (more of a padawan learner) and i am not working with big bucks (maybe later...).

#28 4 years ago
    Quoted from brobra:

My concern is I feel pins are discretionary, non-essential luxury items. I am currently buying quite a few, and wanted to check with the community to see if any dealers/retailers have seen/felt correlations, I personally feel CV-19 is way overblown, I should probably buy a good index fun now, and more pins later with the $.

When the baby needs something, the check didn't come in, family suffering a hardship, pins will be the first thing to go (if you don't have a cash buffer). People are asking an arm and a leg for pins, whether those inflated prices hold long term remains to be seen.

#29 4 years ago
    Quoted from cait001:

The government suggests everyone stockpile a 1-3 year supply of NIB pins and assorted projects, just in case. I don't make the rules, folks...

I literally laughed out loud at this one, and not that half assed thing were you breathe a little harder out of your nose and bounce your shoulders. Like a legit Ha!

#30 4 years ago

When the markets go down, it makes me value real/tangible things like my family, my house and pinball machines. If anyone is buying into the panic and wants to sell their games for 50 cents on the dollar "before it's too late", let me know.

#31 4 years ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

I literally laughed out loud at this one, and not that half assed thing were you breathe a little harder out of your nose and bounce your shoulders. Like a legit Ha!

For me it was exactly that half assed thing where you breathe a little harder out of your nose and bounce your shoulders, and your wonderfully precise categorization also elicited that half assed thing where you breathe a little harder out of your nose and bounce your shoulders. Hoping someone reading this will do that half assed thing where you breathe a little harder out of your nose and bounce your shoulders. May it never end!

#32 4 years ago

Bluestar Airlines went right in the crapper today.....oooof

wall-street-still2-c3d1e94bcacd81642ec8d184e00d8638 (resized).jpgwall-street-still2-c3d1e94bcacd81642ec8d184e00d8638 (resized).jpg
    #33 4 years ago
    Quoted from arkuz:

For me it was exactly that half assed thing where you breathe a little harder out of your nose and bounce your shoulders, and your wonderfully precise categorization also elicited that half assed thing where you breathe a little harder out of your nose and bounce your shoulders. Hoping someone reading this will do that half assed thing where you breathe a little harder out of your nose and bounce your shoulders. May it never end!

(Shoulder bounce huff huff)

#34 4 years ago
    Quoted from cait001:

This deserves more than just an upvote, good shit.

#35 4 years ago

I better go play my Fathom before I have to sell it!

#36 4 years ago

Sad photo of Wall Street traders reacting as the stock market plunges:

Data-Center- (resized).jpgData-Center- (resized).jpg
    #37 4 years ago
    Quoted from brobra:

The last recession almost killed Stern (a business) but had zero effect on existing “classic” pin prices (a hobby). Prices just kept going up. The only thing that can crash the pin market is everyone trying to sell everything at once. That just doesn’t happen. Pinball hobbyists almost never cash out on all their games at once.

#38 4 years ago

OOOFFF... higher taxes, a recession, lower wages, less jobs etc. should really help pinball sales. LOL

If you have nothing to lose and broke then ok. I get it. But even still, poor pinball owners in the US have it 100x better than most around the world. Think about it.

In fact, if you have a pinball machine in your house or whatever the F you own or rent then the hypocritical BS is beyond belief.

Gotta love mathematically challenged stupid people. That's what it is. Plain and simple.

#39 4 years ago
    Quoted from okayestpinballer:

Sad photo of Wall Street traders reacting as the stock market plunges:[quoted image]

This is kinda accurate, kinda sad, kinda funny. I give it a 6.66.

#40 4 years ago
    Quoted from cait001:

Ironically, I mentioned this thread to my wife, and she said folks should stockpile pins for when the schools close down for a month. She must have seen the same gov't report. I definitely married up.

#41 4 years ago

Mondays

#42 4 years ago

This thread made me look.
    Im down 2 Stern premium's in my annuity this week. I went 80% stable fund 6 mo's ago. That was a good move. So, to answer the thread title ?, Yes, stock market crashing will effect my NIB purchases for at least 6-9 months at this point. Unless, its a title I want, or its a good deal.

#43 4 years ago

Sad but true...my closest Costco and Sam's Club were both sold out of toilet paper today.

#44 4 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

In Italy right now, the death rate is tracking at 5%. Seasonal influenza including H1N1 in 2009 is typically in the 0.1% range. This could kill many thousands of more people globally then seasonal flu if it infects anywhere close to as many people.

Moreover, seasonal colds and flu dont put entire cities and countries like Milan and Italy into quarantine. I am not making commentary one way or another how this will impact future resale pinball prices but the stock market sure as hell isn't reacting well to what is happening.

Pinball aside, take this virus seriously and take the recommended precautions. Even if you're younger and not worried about yourself, think of your parents or those older or with medical issues that are very vulnerable.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stock-market-crashing-affecting-buyers?hl=gs2019 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.