STNGPopCaps_0257_purple (resized).JPG
IMG_2748_purple (resized).jpg
P_20170618_193610[1] (resized).jpg
P_20170618_193701[1] (resized).jpg
P_20170618_193635[1] (resized).jpg
P_20170618_184834[1] (resized).jpg
STcap.jpg
STNGPopCaps_0239.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Zitt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

These Williams Star Trek: The Next Generation Popcaps are now in stock and available for immediate sale at:
http://pinball-mods.com/oscom/game-specific-products-star-trek-the-next-generation-star-trekthe-next-generation-popcaps-p-24.html

-----

Hi all,
Every since I made my first popcap setfor the Stern Star Trek machines; I've been trying to find a manufacturable design which would meet my expectations. My first design/vendor was at the same vendor who made my Stern popcaps - the vendor just simply failed at making them to spec... the biggest problem is they just didn't care to match my description.
Failure - not to specFailure - not to spec

That failure taught me that you have to find the right vendor with the right capabilities and/or a similar product so they will understand what is expected. It also taught me that some vendors will just do a half-arse job claiming yellow finger paint = highly polished gold and white paint = highly polished silver/chrome. I also figured out the design was probably too complex which couldn't be manufactured correctly by most companies in the price targets I am looking for. This encouraged me to simply and redesign the product taking away most of the 3D attributes and making it more manufacturable. The olive branches while appealing just were too small and intricate to machine.

This is Rev 3:
Rev 3Rev 3

My new vendor has done the STNG badges before so understands my requirement for highly polished gold and silver. Additionally; they seem to understand my requirement pretty well; identifying the product as a Badge right away. These are the good things; The bad thing is they initially didn't quote for the cut down cap even when I included it and requested a quote. The result is they have come back with a reasonable per-unit order but 2X the cost for a mold which was unexpected.

So, I turn to Pinside to gauge demand. These parts will be molded out of metal and will be two tone-plated with gold and silver (highly polished) to match the STNG badge. The black will be paint; but should look pretty good.
The bad news; is that I need to front the cost of two molds to even get samples generated to do test fits and quality checks. Before I do that; I'd like to get the communities interest.

A set would include two of the complete round caps and a cut down cap to fit under the beta ramp. The set will likely include my acrylic undercaps in a matte color - thinking Red, and some longer #4 screws. I'll may look to comet pinball (@ryanwanger) again to provide some LEDs for the kits.

Please upvote this post or post interested if you'd be interested in a set of Rev 3. I'm sure I'll have additional request for your opinion; but I want to make sure before I spend $$$ on molds that there is enough interest.

#3 6 years ago

Pricing should be "on par" with the Stern ST caps; of course, I won't know for sure until we get near production.
I want / need to limit color options as it becomes to difficult to manage laser cutting different colors.
We'll see as we get closer.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

I bought your ST caps and thought they looked awesome. These look good too. Couple things:
How much lower will the black be from the gold and the gold be from the silver?

The product will have the same 2.5D layout as the Stern Popcaps. IE black will be the lowest "plane" with Gold being the next plane and silver being the highest points.

Quoted from Schwaggs:

I think the colored acrylic is mandatory. You may want to consider a red or purple option, as those two seem to be the most common pop cap color on STTNG.

Red was always in the original plan. Purple has been considered; but not dismissed.
I considered uniform colors like the Stern caps... but haven't decided.

Quoted from Schwaggs:

Have you thought about molding them from plastic? You can get some pretty awesome finishes on plastic these days. The metal does "feel more quality" but once they are in the machine, you shouldn't be able to tell if they are metal or plastic. The mold costs may be lower and you can add back in some 3D depth. For example, I think the emblem would look better more raised and radiused at the edges.

IMHO, Plastic really won't work.
1) I want these to be high quality and plastic isn't.
2) having injection molded the Early Solidstate buttons; the cost for molds is easily 10x what I'm looking at here. Additionally there is a MOQ (minimum order quanity) that this product wouldn't hit.
3) I have concerns that the per-unit cost would be more than these popcaps once you factor in the 3-tone color scheme.

The end result is I hope to establish a long term relationship with this vendor so that I can enable a full line of popcaps for many games. I really want to do a GOT popcap set (although not a fan of the show [never watched it] and don't have the game), maybe mustang (same problem).

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from knockerlover:

Zitt, I literally own everything you make. Count me in for these. Damnit.

LOL. Does this mean you'll be getting some of the Nycon STNG decals too?

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from mavantix:

Is submitting our email to be notified a pre-order? If so sweet, I did that yesterday!

Not for the popcaps; I went off topic for knockerlover and the VUK dressing.
We aren't ready to collect pre-order info for the popcaps. My plan is to figure out how much interest... and right now there isn't a huge amount to see if it's worth the expense of the 2X molds.

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from mavantix:

I meant on the stickers, I need a set of those too and I submitted my email to be notified on your site... do I need to do anything else to preorder those?

On this stickers no. It's not really a pre-order; it's more of a "i'm interested" list. Pre-Order implies money has changed hands.

2 weeks later
#21 6 years ago

Ok. I decided to pull the trigger on molds.
Mid-to-Late June I should see some first article samples from the vendor.
I'll report back when I have some pictures.

1 week later
#22 6 years ago

First pictures for the pop caps have arrived. These are pictures of one of the samples after it received Gold plating and a diamond edge. The part is still suppose to get a silver plate applied as well as some black enameling so stay tuned for more info.
Initial prototypes w/ Gold plating and edgeingInitial prototypes w/ Gold plating and edgeing

With luck I should see some pictures of the finished product in a few days.
John

#25 6 years ago

Got some final initial pictures from my vendor:
diamondEdgediamondEdge
Flat EdgeFlat Edge

They did not appear to make the cut-down cap mold correctly as it's not designed to my 3D files I provided.
I'll have to determine if they will work correctly... If not; they'll have to remake that mold.

#27 6 years ago

Thanks Ryan, means a lot coming from an artist such as yourself.
I really hope these look as good IRL as they do in the pictures... because if so, I can see expanding the product line into other non-Star Trek pins.

#33 6 years ago

I got the samples a day earlier than expected (this morning) but haven't done more that a quick look at them.
I also don't have material for the undercaps lined up yet. And I'll need to get some time on Techshop's laser cutter to cut some initial undercap parts.
I'll try to post some better pictures tonight... but it'll be at least this wkend before I'll have a chance to do a test install.

#34 6 years ago

As promised here are some "better" pictures... I didn't realize how hard super shiny stuff is to photograph.

Here's all three caps. Basically; two of the same cap and then a "cut down" version of the cap:
3 cap set3 cap set

Here's one of the full sized caps set and an angle so you can better see the gold/sliver plating along with the 2.5D layout:
2.5D sliver/gold plating with black background2.5D sliver/gold plating with black background

Finally; because I thought it was a cool pic... here's the center badge reflecting our favorite Pinball website:
Pinside in mirrorPinside in mirror

I did get a sample set in "diamond edge"; but honestly now that I look at it... they look too gawdy. There is also an issue where the diamond edge wasn't done on the cutdown pieces. Unsure if there is a machinery issue doing non-round pieces.

I won't have time to test/install these in my STNG until this weekend - as I still need to find some time to laser cut some undercaps with the material I do have (from Stern Star trek's popcaps).

#37 6 years ago

I really need a light box to take better photos.
Maybe one day they will go on sale for a good price on Amazon.

#40 6 years ago

Ryan,
Not sure. I'm planning on spending Sunday installing them; but it really depends on if the BriteCaps EVO pop bumper led lighting arrives early tomorrow (saturday) from PinballLife.com as USPS claimed yesterday.

If I can quickly incorporate a Undercap design with those leds... then I can laser cut a prototype before my Techshop.ws Laser cutting appointment at 3pm. If I can't finish the design before say 1:30pm; I won't be able to cut a prototype on in that appointment.

#41 6 years ago

Got these installed in my game. Please keep in mind that Techshop was closed today so I couldn't test-cut a new set of Acrylic Undercaps, but I think these early samples will at least get the message across.

I'm trying to create a Undercap which is compatible with Dan's BriteCap EVO line as I think they will do the best job of lighting up these caps. The issue with Dan's caps is they require cutouts for the topside componets. My first prototypes weren't quite right so I need to spend some more time iterating the design.

Anyway; here's some pictures with a single 5050 LED Comet bulb installed in the 555 socket. (Yes, I know my machine is dirty - I'll have the clean it when I swap out the pop bumper bodies )

BeforeBefore

AfterAfterThree Cap Set - all with Red Undercaps. Sorry the photo is a little blurry due to focus. I'll get a better picture with a real camera when I get the EVO caps corrected.

CloseUpCloseUp

Player View (day time)Player View (day time)

#43 6 years ago

Here's the thing about purple...
They don't make a "royal" purple in matte acrylic material. This is the only color they have:
PurplePurple

So it wouldn't really "match" the purple popcaps sold by Pinball-Life.

Is that something you would be interested in?

#46 6 years ago

I obtained some of the violet material and will try to laser cut some of it on Wed.
Please note that I may not be able to get in machine pictures until next weekend.

#49 6 years ago

Working with the vendor to get a production order going... It'll be at least 30-45 days before the production units are ready. In the meantime I'll be working on the undercap design and some test fits.

My plan is to offer All Red, All Purple Undercaps.
I'm probably going to convert my machine to transparent pop bumper bodies in uniform colors and cut me a set of caps in darkblue, Red, and yellow. I'm not sure anyone else in interested in that color scheme.

#52 6 years ago
Quoted from knockerlover:

going for the uniform colors, like on the stern star trek kits you do?

Exactly.
The blue cap may be a darker blue. I got some of that material as I thought it might look closer to the screen; but now that I think about it... I may have been remembering DS9 uniform colors which were more teal.

#53 6 years ago

I couldn't wait until this weekend to install these sweet ash undercaps.

Due to popular request; here is a purple undercap with purple BriteCaps EVO:
purple undercap w/ purple BriteCap EVOpurple undercap w/ purple BriteCap EVO
purple undercap w/ purple BriteCap EVOpurple undercap w/ purple BriteCap EVO

Here's blue:
blue undercap w/ blue BriteCap EVOblue undercap w/ blue BriteCap EVO
blue undercap w/ blue BriteCap EVOblue undercap w/ blue BriteCap EVO

Here's Engineering yellow under the beta ramp:
natural white 5 led smt cometnatural white 5 led smt comet
Using natural white 5LED SMT comet led since I don't have a better LED at the moment.

Here's the Uniform colored undercaps:
Red - Command, Blue - Science, Yellow - EngineeringRed - Command, Blue - Science, Yellow - Engineering
Unform ColorUnform Color

I like the purple and the red; but really love the extra color the Uniform Undercaps bring to the pop area. In my setup; I modified my Red Command EVO to use Purple LEDs when shining on the Playfield; and left the natural white "above" the Advanced Mission plastic.
I ran out of Purple LEDs so wasn't able to modify the LEDs on the Blue EVO.

I need to figure out a warm white LED option for the cutdown cap.

The EVO-compatible Undercap worked very well; all though I found out that Red has a different layout that Blue or Purple... so I'm going to have to make an invisible revision to the Undercaps pictured here.

For me; I'm staying Uniformed colors. I know others won't like that color option; so I'll have do a survey or something to figure out what color options to offer. I will that because I have to cut these caps at Techshop's laser... I *WILL NOT* be offering every color option under the sun. That laser is 40minutes away... and I have a day job; so can't be making numerious trips to customize everyone's order.

At most I'm thinking:
Uniform Colors
All Red
All Purple
I don't see the value of a Clear Undercap at this time - if you feel differently; please provide some reasons why it's a good idea.

#58 6 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

I assume you will not be offering customized BrightCaps with white top and purple bottom. Can you post a link to the purple SMD LEDs or a part number that we can use to modify our BrightCaps?

No, at this time - I don't see myself stocking any BrightCaps; much less offering modified EVO pcbs.

The LEDs I used are here:
http://www.kingbrightusa.com/product.asp?catalog_name=LED&product_id=AA3528VRVFS/A

I'll look into maybe offering the Purple LEDs as an optional part of the kit; if there is interest. Let me know.
If there a LOT of interest; I can add "modification" instructions as an appendix to the install instructions.

1 week later
#59 6 years ago

I have provided a Google Survey to collect preferences as to which Undercap and LED options to offer as part of our kits:
https://goo.gl/forms/QhWqKS9AF6mxuYuq2

Please fill free to submit your opinion. I will use the data collected to build inventory of the Undercap colors and to ensure I have enough LEDs to offer with the kit. This isn't a "pre-order"; more of an "i am interested" list. If you provide me with your email address; I'll offer a coupon for this product as a "thank you" and would only be valid for a week or two after product launch.
I'll send that coupon to the email account provided once the store page is available.

Please let me know if you have any issues accessing the survey.

#61 6 years ago

Thanks. Im working a behind the scenes details... So this survey will help get the best combinations.

1 month later
#62 6 years ago

I've been working on the Undercaps for these popcaps. These Undercaps are more complicated than the Stern_Star_Trek PopCaps because they require both an Laser Cut step and a 6minute CNC step to put the LED channel in the Undercap. The 6minute step machines all 3 caps in a set.

I've completed about 15 or so "sets" of the RBY uniform colored Undercaps. Tomorrow, I hope to laser cut another 19 sets of yellow "cut caps" so I can finish machining enough sets to put the product for sale.

I still need to laser cut and machine All red and All Purple Undercaps; so that will take another couple of days.

I'm going to order another Set of Evo LEDs so I can document the "rework" and document the modification process for the instructions. Then I'll be working to Install a set on another local STNG to document the entire installation process.

I hope to have the instructions ready next week so I can start selling these.

If you are interested in pricing (still subject to change):
http://Pinball-Mods.com/url/stngPopCaps

#64 6 years ago
Quoted from Da_Topper:

I already have 2 purple evo's in my bumper area. Can I reuse and just get the caps? Also would just need a single one with evo for under the ramp.

I won't be selling EVO LEDs.
Only standard LEDs or the 11SMD variety.
If you want EVO you will have to order from a different vendor as they are too expensive for me to carry.

#65 6 years ago

Took some pictures from the installation instructions... thought these were pretty cool:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/52968060@N00/36076226094/sizes/o/
36076226094_aca33c803f (resized).jpg36076226094_aca33c803f (resized).jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/52968060@N00/36076225604/sizes/o/
Uniform UnderCaps w/ BriteMods EVOs and Purple SMT - no flashUniform UnderCaps w/ BriteMods EVOs and Purple SMT - no flash

#66 6 years ago

Instructions for install and EVO modifications posted to product page:
http://Pinball-Mods.com/url/stngPopCaps

I hope to be able to offer these for sale as early as Thursday Evening assuming my Inventory goes well.

#68 6 years ago

These Williams Star Trek: The Next Generation Popcaps are now in stock and available for immediate sale at:
http://pinball-mods.com/oscom/game-specific-products-star-trek-the-next-generation-star-trekthe-next-generation-popcaps-p-24.html

Now thru 9/7/2017; I’ll be running a special on these popcaps for 10% off with a 10% match for these PopCaps to the American Red Cross for Hurricane_Harvey relief. This means you get the caps for $76.06 and I’ll also donate >$8.45/set ordered to the RedCross for each set sold at the end of this sale. While supplies last.

My Pre-Order customers already eliminated my (and Comet's) stock of All purple 11-SMD LEDs. I'm currently hoping to source some from Cointaker but do not expect to have stock until late next week best case.

#69 6 years ago

Bumping for Harvey donations which expire on the 7th.

#72 6 years ago

I am extending the Harvey matching thru this weekend due to #Irma... I hope we don't have another catastrophic event in Florida... but reports are possible of a Cat5 landfall in SoFL. While Irma isn't expect to stall over of FL for several days like Harvey did... I do suspect we are going to have problems in FL.

2 months later
#74 6 years ago

These Popcaps are eligible for our Black Friday 16% off Sale while supplies last. Discount does not apply to shipping.

Must Enter Discount Code: BF2017

2 weeks later
11 months later
#76 5 years ago

Pinball-Mods.com is having a site-wide Black Friday / Cyber Monday sale.

All Pinball-mods.com products are 18% off - Must use discount code: BF2018. This includes these STNG Popcaps.

All Pinball.Center products and STNG VUK kits are on sale for 10% off - No discount code needed.

All sales will end at 11:59pm on Cyber Monday (11/26/2018). Shipping is not discounted. Limited to stock on hand - No Rain Checks.

1 year later
#77 4 years ago

These PopCaps are on sale during our Star_Trek: Picard salethru 1/27/20.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.95
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 85.00
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 64.99
$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
$ 63.95
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Zitt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stng-popcaps-any-interest?tu=Zitt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.