opto_test_2.jpg
opto_test_1.jpg
IMG_20200905_145249079.jpg
17A6B089-0D6D-4D0C-84AF-8E487B435356 (resized).jpeg
F3EFC29C-897D-4E5A-A58C-42757E6FC1D4 (resized).jpeg
2020-09-0420.25.022350911809706486921.jpg
IMG_20200904_183629369.jpg
1AC14AEB-0D3B-4ACA-8BCB-BE4350D665CF (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider push600.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

My STNG keeps cycling a ball. It loads all of them, then the last ball empties into the left cannon, shoots up-to the lock And cycles again. Has anyone experienced this? Any ideas? Haven’t found a bad opto. Opto board is good.

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Sounds like a staging problem. Remove the glass and then REMOVE all of the balls from the machine, make sure you have 6; with the coin door open go into switch edge test, then drop 1 ball into each of the three VUKs and make sure they all reported in switch edge. Put the remaining 3 in the trough, again make sure they are all reporting correctly. Your switch edge test should show switched 36, 37, 41, 64, 65, and 66 OPEN; if not fix it so it does.
If the matrix looks correct, exit test and close the door; you should be able to start a game without it trying to stage balls.

Thank you for the info.
The trough is correct. Switch is 6665 and 64 activate. When I go into three of the upper Falls, the rank the neutral zone and the start mission, switch 36 is activated, then switch 32, then no switch. The balls are automatically sent to the left cannon trough because the diverter under the playfield is set to that trough when it’s in the switch test. It can only read two balls.
So I believe switch 37 and 41 you’re talking about our the trough above that one.
So I believe switch 37 and 41 you’re talking about our the trough above that one.
I reset the game and it still does the same thing.

#4 3 years ago

More information. When a ball is shot into the start mission hole, during multi ball, it does not find it. That leads me to believe it is not being diverted correctly underneath. The Opto that it first passes through is working.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

One of your diverter coils isnt firing. The transistor and or predrive transistor in the extra drive board burnt up, most likely because your tie back back wire broke off. Search the group. Very common issue, and tons of info on it.

So it’ll fire in test, but not in play mode? Does that sound correct?

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

One of your diverter coils isnt firing. The transistor and or predrive transistor in the extra drive board burnt up, most likely because your tie back back wire broke off. Search the group. Very common issue, and tons of info on it.

Searched. I suck. Does anyone have a link?

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

It won't fire at all. Check the latest in that was posted. Sorry I couldn't respond faster. 1st day of school from home. Juggling a 5 year old on zoom, his 3 year old brother and this

LOL. No apology needed. Any help is awesome.

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

It won't fire at all. Check the latest in that was posted. Sorry I couldn't respond faster. 1st day of school from home. Juggling a 5 year old on zoom, his 3 year old brother and this

All coils fire in test mode. UGH!

#12 3 years ago

I’m missing something. I’m sure it’s something simple that Im missing.

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

If they all fire then its a switch, or the diverter arm needs adjustment.
Raise playfield, and do coil test. You will see if the arm needs work.

Have done that already. I’m going to run through everything again. I know I’m missing something.

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

So if you take all the balls out of the game, drop one down each vuk output, put three in the trough then turn on the game what does it do?

It sends two bowls from the subway to the in lane on the left side. Then it starts cycling one ball again.

#17 3 years ago

Two balls

#23 3 years ago

All diverters work and coils fire.

#27 3 years ago

I heard somewhere you’re the man.

#28 3 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

I never said to do that.
I said to do this:

VUKs are Vertical Up Kickers; these are the mechanisms the balls come out of on top of the playfield...I wanted you to drop the balls in those
Please visit the STTNG owners forum https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/forum/clubs-members-only ... you can find lots of information on ball staging issue there.

I had another plan in my head after reading that. LOL.
I’ll drop them in.

#29 3 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Sounds like a staging problem. Remove the glass and then REMOVE all of the balls from the machine, make sure you have 6; with the coin door open go into switch edge test, then drop 1 ball into each of the three VUKs and make sure they all reported in switch edge. Put the remaining 3 in the trough, again make sure they are all reporting correctly. Your switch edge test should show switched 36, 37, 41, 64, 65, and 66 OPEN; if not fix it so it does.
If the matrix looks correct, exit test and close the door; you should be able to start a game without it trying to stage balls.

Did this exactly as you said. It released a ball from the VUK into the left in lane and kept recycling.

#30 3 years ago
Quoted from Push600:

Did this exactly as you said. It released a ball from the VUK into the left in lane and kept recycling.

All VUK optics register as well.

#34 3 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

And they open and close properly when I ball is placed in them / rolled through them? None of them are stuck closed or open?

Yes. 100%.

#35 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

What about the trough switches - are they are registering correctly. The logic in the game looks at the # of balls there and regardless of what it sees or doesn't see in the VUKs it tries to load them. For instance, you have the VUKs all loaded fine, but if the game thinks there's more than 3 balls in the trough, it's going to launch and fire one up for staging, causing an additional ball to be removed from a vuk, starting the same cycle all over again.

I have tested every opto in the game. They all work.

#38 3 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

If you wouldn't mind, can you remove all of the balls and post a picture of the switch matrix with all of the balls removed from the game?

Yes sir. Not sure why it attached sideways. But here you go.

1AC14AEB-0D3B-4ACA-8BCB-BE4350D665CF (resized).jpeg1AC14AEB-0D3B-4ACA-8BCB-BE4350D665CF (resized).jpeg
#44 3 years ago
Quoted from drinkduffbeers:

I’ve currently got the exact same symptoms . On investigation looks like an easy fix for me as found the diverter arm had sheared
[quoted image][quoted image]

All diverters are intact.

#45 3 years ago
Quoted from donjagra:

If it launches a fourth ball before releasing one from the vuk, then you know it's your trough opto boards.
Do you still have the original trough boards? Those things are crap, best sttng mod you can do is replace the transmitter board.

That’s what confuses me. All trough Optus read correctly in test.

3 weeks later
#50 3 years ago

I have tested every Opto underneath the play field with a ball. Everything works including the trough. I’m thinking it is an MPU or driver board issue?

#52 3 years ago
Quoted from Tallon:

Did you check the stack opto in each VUK to see if one was out. That would cause the game to continually clear the VUK and then launch a new ball to reload then it read 4 balls in the trough?

I did. All options were checked. I’m at a loss.

#55 3 years ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

I have some boards that can help you with the differential diagnosis if you think it's an electrical problem (i.e. not a mechanical problem with your diverters or engagement of the diverters).
These boards isolate the optos in your machine by using the optos on the test board. It will exercise your 16-opto board switch state logic detection.
[quoted image]
I also have boards that will help test your optos in the machine. The three small boards work together to provide indicators that the optos in your machine are actually working independently from the 16-opto board switch state logic detection.
Also shown at the top left is a complete replacement board that incorporates the indicators.
[quoted image]
If you're interested you can PM me. I don't know if they will definitively give you an answer because I don't know what's causing your problem but the information gathered may help you in one direction or another.
The post @ https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dumbass-test-and-reproduction-pcbs/page/4#post-5858635 will give you more details on their use if you're interested in more information.

Thanks for the info!
I’ll check out the post.
I have tested every opto manually. I have also changed out the board with a new one. Still haven’t figured it out.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 15.00
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 64.99
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 63.95
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider push600.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stng-keeps-cycling-a-ball?tu=push600 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.