(Topic ID: 100566)

STLE vs STTNG? Rate the GRC Opening Day Lineup!

By TwoChaniz

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 80 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by dantebean
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-652.jpg
giphy (2).gif
giphy (1).gif
pulp.jpg
GRC Star Trek Pair 1.jpg
There are 80 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

#2 9 years ago

STTNG...

All Day

#3 9 years ago

needs a poll.

STLE is great, but STTNG is better. just my subjective opinion of course.

complicating the argument is the fact that STTNGs are 20 years old at this point, and they're not always in tip-top shape. find one with a great playfield, wax it down and dial it in and it can be quite fast with some of the most satisfying shots in pinball. i've played a few that were sluggish and clunky, but they bear no resemblance to the one in my collection!

further complicating things, STTNG has about a million cool mods available. you could compare stock to stock, but what does that prove? there really aren't that many stock STTNGs out there. most at this point have ColorDMD, LEDs, upgraded ships, etc. With an excellent LED job and LED OCD and GI OCD, the STTNG lighting looks as good if not better than STLE. (granted i'm comparing a modded machine to stock, but how much can you really customize STLE?)

#4 9 years ago

STTNG. It's stood the test of time. Also, Picard.

#5 9 years ago

STLE all day. Faster, brighter, more intense, better flow. Also, Kirk.

#6 9 years ago

Kirk - you lost all credibility in that post.
LE is nice and flashy... but until the code is available; it's just a shooter.

STNG takes skill to master... or 6balls.
Also; Williams spared no expense in voice acting...
Stern currently has only stock movie rips.

#7 9 years ago

I'd rather play the Stern. I'd rather not own any of them.

#8 9 years ago

Kirk is definitely cool, but he just doesn't speak to me the way Captain Picard does... when I'm really immersed in a good game of STTNG, I feel like I'm in command of the enterprise!

I agree with your points pezpunk. Lots of busted STTNGs out there so not really a good comparison unless you are playing one that is dialed in.

To tie back to the topic, I got your play the STTNG that GRC will have at their grand opening this weekend. It is absolutely the best playing STTNG I've ever played. The shaker motor mod is awesome...

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Kirk - you lost all credibility in that post.
LE is nice and flashy... but until the code is available; it's just a shooter.
STNG takes skill to master... or 6balls.
Also; Williams spared no expense in voice acting...
Stern currently has only stock movie rips.

It was your LE that I fell in love with. You should be more appreciative.

STTNG is dull compared to STLE. Your STTNG was very dull sitting next to your LE.

We all know a huge update is right around the corner, so it will only get better.

#10 9 years ago

All you STTNG owners forget.....your pin wasn't even going to be a Star Trek game. It was going to be Under Seige, hence the cannons. It got re-themed late in the process.

Stern's Star Trek was conceived from the beginning to be Star Trek, and Ritchie has done an awesome job with this one!

#11 9 years ago

LOL
Don't blame me... You're just biased - Kirok.

#12 9 years ago

STTNG is still the shit. While it may still be a "fan layout" I don't see it as the typical fan layout that Stern puts out. It has waaaaay more features and it is a lot prettier pin aaaaaand it has Picard. I do wish it was more than a mode based game but I will still take it over STLE.

Im not saying "prove it" but I would love to see something about STTNG starting out as Under Siege. That would be a very interesting read. Why did it get changed?

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

STTNG is still the shit. While it may still be a "fan layout" I don't see it as the typical fan layout that Stern puts out. It has waaaaay more features and it is a lot prettier pin aaaaaand it has Picard. I do wish it was more than a mode based game but I will still take it over STLE.
Im not saying "prove it" but I would love to see something about STTNG starting out as Under Siege. That would be a very interesting read. Why did it get changed?

Dwight Sullivan's blog....

http://mypinballblog.blogspot.com/2008/01/t2-getaway-and-star-trek-tng.html

#14 9 years ago

Picard isn't a plus, by the way.

LOL!

#15 9 years ago

I own both, and have played the crap out of both. ST:TNG by a mile.

#16 9 years ago

It is to me. Over the reboot characters anyway. Its all good though.

#17 9 years ago

That is pretty cool. I would not, however, want a Under Siege pinball. It was a OK movie but would have made a shit pinball theme in my book. Can you imagine Steven Seagall, I know I misspelled the name, on the translight.

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from jrobinso99:

Kirk is definitely cool, but he just doesn't speak to me the way Captain Picard does...

You mean with a British accent?

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

That is pretty cool. I would not, however, want a Under Siege pinball. It was a OK movie but would have made a shit pinball theme in my book. Can you imagine Steven Seagall, I know I misspelled the name, on the translight.

Yup. So everyone, enjoy your Under Siege pin! LOL!

#20 9 years ago

I don't really see the under siege thing as a big deal. It's a pretty absurd criticism to make towards a game that has probably the best-integrated theme in all of pinball. Heck if you removed the Vengeance, ST could be literally any theme. It's a great pin, but it's very generic, both in layout and artwork. At least STTNG has awesome art and the full cast doing custom voice acting. Plus STTNG is just far more elaborate in terms of toys and features.

Also, Kirk is an arrogant ass with all the self restraint of a horny, violent teenager. Is that really what you aspire to?

#21 9 years ago

I prefer STTNG. If they had done a machine like that based on the original series, it would have been epic.

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

I don't really see the under siege thing as a big deal. It's a pretty absurd criticism to make towards a game that is probably the best-integrated theme in all of pinball. Heck if you removed the Vengeance, ST could be literally any theme. It's a great pin, but it's very generic, both in layout and artwork. At least STTNG has awesome art and the full cast doing custom voice acting. Plus STTNG is just far more elaborate in terms of toys and features.
Also, Kirk is an arrogant ass with all the self restraint of a horny, violent teenager. Is that really what you aspire to?

Calm down, hipster. The Under Siege thing is a funny bit of trivia.

Kirk is a man of action. Picard is a boring old man. He got balls once...in First Contact.

Riker "Captain, we're under attack! Should we return fire?"

Picard "No, we must negotiate!"

Enterprise D explodes.....

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Calm down, hipster. The Under Siege thing is a funny bit of trivia.
Kirk is a man of action. Picard is a boring old man. He got balls once...in First Contact.
Riker "Captain, we're under attack! Should we return fire?"
Picard "No, we must negotiate!"
Enterprise explodes.....

Also the episode Starship Mine -- Picard does the Die Hard thing sneaking around taking out the terrorists one by one, and talking trash to them over their own communicators. But yes, he did have brains enough to solve problems with tools other than his fists. A novel concept for Kirk lovers, I know.

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

Also the episode Starship Mine -- Picard does the Die Hard thing sneaking around taking out the terrorists one by one, and talking trash to them over their own communicators. But yes, he did have brains enough to solve problems with tools other than his fists. A novel concept for Kirk lovers, I know.

You mean like in Star Trek: The Motion Picture, when Kirk refuses to do anything remotely hostile to the cloud (v'ger), like not even turning on the shields against Deker's recommendations?

Such restraint!

#25 9 years ago

He grew a pair in First Contact when he was running around with Daystrom killing off Borg. Remember, he was an hothead in the academy and he got stabbed in the heart for it. While Kirk would screw a Horta if someone would hold it still Picard it happy sticking it to Beverly when no one is looking. I say that ain't too bad.

#26 9 years ago

cmon if you're gonna call Picard a boring old man, then I can generalize too. i'm just having fun. Kirk didn't rip his shirt of, punch a guy in a rubber alien costume, and sleep with a green chick in EVERY episode, that's just the stuff we remember most.

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

He grew a pair in First Contact when he was running around with Daystrom killing off Borg. Remember, he was an hothead in the academy and he got stabbed in the heart for it. While Kirk would screw a Horta if someone would hold it still Picard it happy sticking it to Beverly when no one is looking. I say that ain't too bad.

He never stuck it to Beverly, although she wanted him to.

I think he got laid once with Vash.....and maybe that lady he played flutes with in the Jefferies tube.

What a stud.

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

cmon if you're gonna call Picard a boring old man, then I can generalize too. i'm just having fun. Kirk didn't rip his shirt of, punch a guy in a rubber alien costume, and sleep with a green chick in EVERY episode, that's just the stuff we remember most.

He didn't? I'd better go back and check!

Agreed, it's always in good fun.

#29 9 years ago

He never stuck it to Beverly that we saw but when they weren't filming you know they were gitn busy.

#30 9 years ago

I think Janeway got laid more than Picard.

#31 9 years ago

how about the original star trek instead

#32 9 years ago

Ok. If we ST geeks are going to start talking about the chick in the TV shows I nominate the Borg chic on Voyager, 7of 9 wasn't it and Worf's half Klingon girlfriend as a tie for the hottest chicks on any of the shows ever.

#33 9 years ago

meanwhile riker took a ride on just about every female cast member and guest star. He does Beverly in "The Host", Ro Laren in "Conundrum", Troi in multiple episodes and in their past, several hologram characters, and tons of guest stars. he has sex with an androgynous alien from a planet where sexuality is strictly verboten. he even has sex with a female alien doctor DURING an escape from an alien hospital.

#34 9 years ago

Go Riker. Riker Riker he's our man. If he cant shag her no one can.

Remember, he isn't just a ordinary human. He is part Kernal Greens enhanced humans like Kahn.

#35 9 years ago

STTNG!!!! Best game ever made. Though ACDC has given it a hard run since the beginning of the year and hasn't let up.

As pez pointed out and I agree with, often times STTNG gets a bad rap due to them being in poor condition. Its always going to be a challenge to go up against shiny and new for a 20+ year old and complex game.

#36 9 years ago

GRC Star Trek Pair 1.jpgGRC Star Trek Pair 1.jpg

#38 9 years ago
Quoted from jrobinso99:

Kirk is definitely cool, but he just doesn't speak to me the way Captain Picard does... when I'm really immersed in a good game of STTNG, I feel like I'm in command of the enterprise! ..

Exactly.

A great game of STTNG makes you feel like you are commanding the Enterprise.

When you are having a good game of ST, you feel like you are watching the movie.

Maybe that will change a little with the new code, but when I think Star Trek I don't exactly think of McCoy. He's not the main dude (spock and Kirk are) and the lack of original speech by either of them hurts the immersive value of the game.

STTNG is superior in every way.

And the whole "Under Siege" thing is the refuge of idiots. Rollergames was originally gonna be High Speed 2. Who cares?

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

And the whole "Under Siege" thing is the refuge of idiots. Rollergames was originally gonna be High Speed 2. Who cares?

Exactly!

and if memory serves me correctly wasn't ToM supposed to be David Copperfield's House of Magic or something like that?

Oh yeah ST is a good game, but STTNG is awesome.

#40 9 years ago

Star Trek the Next Generation!!

#41 9 years ago

Love both but have to go with STTNG here.....by a fair margin. REAL actors custom voice work! Great modes! It can be a bit of a bastard with the outlanes but oh so satisfying to play well.

So far (for me) the only other pin to give it run for its money is AC/DC.

#42 9 years ago

Keep trying to shoehorn GRC into Pinside? I guess they did get banned so they need a ginny/lacky to do grunt work for them. They will be in a smaller storefront soon enough.

#43 9 years ago
Quoted from dantebean:

Keep trying to shoehorn GRC into Pinside? I guess they did get banned so they need a ginny/lacky to do grunt work for them. They will be in a smaller storefront soon enough.

Great post! Very thoughtful & insightful! Thanks for the bump! Hope to see you at the party so we can all greet you properly!

#44 9 years ago
Quoted from dantebean:

OP getting lots of thumbs down. what's the story here? sorry, I'm not aware. just can't resist a star trek chat

#45 9 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

OP getting lots of thumbs down. what's the story here? sorry, I'm not aware. just can't resist a Star Trek chat

It's only for the GRC aspect of the topic. Nothing wrong with Star Trek but this guy just loves dropping GRC ads and going after TnT. Search the GRC banning and d-bagery.

Quoted from TwoChaniz:

Great post! Very thoughtful & insightful! Thanks for the bump! Hope to see you at the party so we can all greet you properly!

Ok, I will rate the lineup so I am more insightful. Great games, STTNG is amazing, SST is one of the best modern pins out, TAF my all time fav, the establishment they are in..............unfortunate.

Just so I know, how would I be greeted? I was kind enough to give you insight.

#46 9 years ago
Quoted from dantebean:

how would I be greeted?

With a hug?

#47 9 years ago

Thats so kind. You do know that good hugs come from the front right? I will pass on the party invite due to the fact I don't want a ball gag in my mouth or be tied down to a pummel horse.

pulp.jpgpulp.jpg
#48 9 years ago
Quoted from dantebean:

the fact I don't want a ball gag in my mouth or be tied down to a pummel horse.

The fact that this comes to your mind is a bit scary. Not surprising though. Best of luck to you with your odd quests.

#49 9 years ago
Quoted from TwoChaniz:

The fact that this comes to your mind is a bit scary. Not surprising though. Best of luck to you with your odd quests.

Keep fighting the good fight. Hope the promoting of a sinking ship pays off.

"Can't polish a turd"

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 15.00
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

13,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 85.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
$ 64.99
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 80 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stle-vs-sttng-rate-the-grc-opening-day-lineup and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.