• 42 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Mauikiter
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Hi,

I apologize but I've been away dealing with things non-pinball for a week or so and haven't been following this. Did a search and didn't see anything but given they supposedly ship in a week I figured it's worth asking. Has Stern or anyone else posted any video on the STLE? They do have a marketing department, right?

BTW, not looking to incite a Stern-bash-fest but with the MMR coming out it seems like STLE has dropped off the radar.

Cheers!

#2 10 years ago

STLE's should be hitting the street any day now. No video yet.

#3 10 years ago

Nothing yet, very odd indeed. Must not be ready to show which is concerning for sure.

#4 10 years ago

There is video of the machine at the Stern tour from expo but it is just in attract mode. You can see it at PinballNews.

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from BillP:

Nothing yet, very odd indeed. Must not be ready to show which is concerning for sure.

Nobody has received there's yet. What's concerning?

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from Part_3:

Good question, let me try to clarify.....Stern has not released any footage of a game that is currently shipping. As the OP clearly stated, Stern does have a marketing department, right? Marketing should be marketing the latest and greatest product via footage on their webpage, social media, relavent pinball news and of course internet groups like pinside. The lack of marketing for STLE from Stern is concerning.

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from Part_3:

The LE seems to be shrouded in mystery. Even at the factory you could not get that close to it.. it was roped off. I don't find it concerning myself since I did not buy one...I suppose they have a reason for not wanting any game play video before shipping.

#8 10 years ago

maybe they are hiding big lasers and a lcd screen inside and proper animations

#9 10 years ago

Has stern ever released gameplay video prior to shipping? Nuff said.

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from BillP:

Good question, let me try to clarify.....Stern has not released any footage of a game that is currently shipping. As the OP clearly stated, Stern does have a marketing department, right? Marketing should be marketing the latest and greatest product via footage on their webpage, social media, relavent pinball news and of course internet groups like pinside. The lack of marketing for STLE from Stern is concerning.

That's pretty much how they work. Stern's official videos come out after people have received their pins.

Stupid, yes, but nothing out of the ordinary.

#11 10 years ago

You won't be getting a video from Canada any time soon. My distributor just emailed me, there is another delay at Stern and they will now be shipping to Canada between Nov. 11th - 19th. It was suppose to be tomorrow

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from Part_3:

That's pretty much how they work. Stern's official videos come out after people have received their pins.

Ok, cool. Thanks. That really does seem weird. Maybe they wait until they're all built so if they have to make a change to support manufacturing they can without people griping about the change? I wonder what the rationale behind that policy is.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from swf127:

Ok, cool. Thanks. That really does seem weird. Maybe they wait until they're all built so if they have to make a change to support manufacturing they can without people griping about the change? I wonder what the rationale behind that policy is.

To keep people employed. They can hammer out games faster than the programmers can code the designers intent. I suspect once the game gets to a level of the designers acceptance, they'll shoot a professional video. Meanwhile, there's still an assembly line working and keeping people employed. Our impatience and desire for early videos is rewarded by hard working people able to feed their families. It's not a bad marketing scheme, its just the way of the hobby.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

To keep people employed. They can hammer out games faster than the programmers can code the designers intent. I suspect once the game gets to a level of the designers acceptance, they'll shoot a professional video. Meanwhile, there's still an assembly line working and keeping people employed. Our impatience and desire for early videos is rewarded by hard working people able to feed their families. It's not a bad marketing scheme, its just the way of the hobby.

Stern's videos don't get any near the detail to have incomplete code be an issues. They are VERY broad and quick overviews.

#15 10 years ago

I called Stern and they said the first video will be made with a phone held over a test game in Gameworks. They intend to find the worst player ever so all the shots look as lame as possible.

#16 10 years ago

Seems like the wait on footage has been taking forever.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

You won't be getting a video from Canada any time soon. My distributor just emailed me, there is another delay at Stern and they will now be shipping to Canada between Nov. 11th - 19th. It was suppose to be tomorrow

Now sure how you feel but with the longer the delays, the more I keep second guessing this deal. Ugh..

#18 10 years ago

delays arent always a bad thing. However, i do remember a game that sold out in a matter of hours pre-order that had numerous delays which didnt seem to help its initial release. Im looking at you Xmen

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

To keep people employed. They can hammer out games faster than the programmers can code the designers intent.

If it's a case of them building the hardware and they're waiting on software to take advantage of it, that would make sense. However, if they're shipping in a week then the basic functionality and rules are there, right? None of their videos have ever been that in-depth anyway, so it just strikes me as an odd practice. Maybe it's such a niche audience that beyond the announcement and having a booth at shows, marketing isn't necessary? Who knows.

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

delays arent always a bad thing. However, i do remember a game that sold out in a matter of hours pre-order that had numerous delays which didnt seem to help its initial release

Totally, 100% agree with you. Delays don't bother me and I'd be perfectly cool getting the last one off the line. It's just the lack of communication on a major release seems weird. You can tell I'm not a big NIB customer.

#21 10 years ago

Delays are a good thing. Steve and team want the best game so give them time. Better they find and tweak things instead of us

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from swf127:

If it's a case of them building the hardware and they're waiting on software to take advantage of it, that would make sense. However, if they're shipping in a week then the basic functionality and rules are there, right? None of their videos have ever been that in-depth anyway, so it just strikes me as an odd practice. Maybe it's such a niche audience that beyond the announcement and having a booth at shows, marketing isn't necessary? Who knows.

Personally, i would rather have steve ritchie (designer) and his programming team spend an extra day (or even two...three...?) developing the game and integrating rules than doing interviews and showing a camera what the games intent is.

Im sure once they get to a breaking point and can wait on feedback from testers and players; they'll take the time to do those interviews and get a quality 'official' video out. Until then...we want programming, research, and development!

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from mummite:

Delays are a good thing. Steve and team want the best game so give them time. Better they find and tweak things instead of us

Exactly. Ladies and gentlemen, the king is at work here. I advise those who are ancy or impatient to kick back, relax, have a drink, light up a cigar, and watch a legend work behind the control console.

#24 10 years ago

Word is the lasers took out half the factory. Oh the humanity!

#25 10 years ago

Here's the two videos I took @ Stern Expo Tour. (Flick to HD)

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from Jeffo:

Now sure how you feel but with the longer the delays, the more I keep second guessing this deal. Ugh..

If I still had my STTNG I might be second guessing as well. But now that I don't, I'm in it for the long haul. Ah STTNG how I miss you

#27 10 years ago

Haha

Man that STTNG.. and I'm sure its all STTNG, but !@#!%, what a jerk it can be sometimes. New extenders and all, it still drains more than any other machine I've met.

I'll be damned if it doesn't look pretty as hell though. And the cannons, oh the cannons...

#28 10 years ago

Wtf
F'n ship my le before the holidays ass holes

Post edited by The_Dude_Abides : please lighten up on the profanity.

#29 10 years ago

STTNG isn't a drainer... just learn how to work with that other slingshot design and you'll be quite suprised

#31 10 years ago

I predict these boards to go madly insane with posts as soon as the first LE vids appear!

#32 10 years ago

Damn.. so many new stuff in pinball (cabinet lights, color changing leds on all inserts...).
These new things should be in the pro versions. If this is only for the LE then pinball doesn't improve much overall..
JJP does it right, all their "new" stuff is on the regular version. Stern is just sucking with these LEs IMO.

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from hassanchop:

Damn.. so many new stuff in pinball (cabinet lights, color changing leds on all inserts...).
These new things should be in the pro versions. If this is only for the LE then pinball doesn't improve much overall..
JJP does it right, all their "new" stuff is on the regular version. Stern is just sucking with these LEs IMO.

JJP's regular costs as much as Sterns LE's so whats your argument? The pro doesn have all this junk because is 2k+ cheaper, and JJP has no competing machine in that market.

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from hassanchop:

JJP does it right, all their "new" stuff is on the regular version.

Nah, the best damn game lately is MET Pro. It has art, great toys and layout. Its the perfect example of what a 5k pinball should be.

#35 10 years ago

The best 5k pinball is either LOTR or Spiderman, I own neither, but not for long...

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Nah, the best damn game lately is MET Pro. It has art, great toys and layout. Its the perfect example of what a 5k pinball should be.

I played a MET Pro this past Saturday for the first time and loved it.

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

JJP's regular costs as much as Sterns LE's so whats your argument?

My argument is that Stern's LEs have improvements that make the game different.
In my opinion a LE should be just changes in the art, gold trims and all that crap. This one has a kickback for example.. (that changes the gameplay completely). So that is more than just 2k junk.. it's a somehow different game in some aspects.

I have a Tron pro and i will never play that daft punk mode.. it's exclusive to the LE.
I have a LOTR and in terms of gameplay it's exactly the same as the golden LE, so i have the same game just not with the 2k "junk".
I think Stern is doing it wrong when a LE has a different gameplay.

I think WOZ in terms of gameplay is the same as the LE? Maybe i am wrong, but if so imo JPP is doing it right.

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from hassanchop:

My argument is that Stern's LEs have improvements that make the game different.
In my opinion a LE should be just changes in the art, gold trims and all that crap. This one has a kickback for example.. (that changes the gameplay completely). So that is more than just 2k junk.. it's a somehow different game in some aspects.
I have a Tron pro and i will never play that daft punk mode.. it's exclusive to the LE.
I have a LOTR and in terms of gameplay it's exactly the same as the golden LE, so i have the same game just not with the 2k "junk".
I think Stern is doing it wrong when a LE has a different gameplay.
I think WOZ in terms of gameplay is the same as the LE? Maybe i am wrong, but if so imo JPP is doing it right.

They aren't doing it wrong. You just want the extra stuff to be 2k of "junk" you personally don't care about so you get the same game. That's exactly why it is not exactly the same game.... so more people want to upgrade. If you are going to get upset about it, then plunk down the extra money or live with the omissions. It's not much different then higher/lower levels of a car. There are always things I'd like to have and other things I don't care about in the higher end model. Whether JJP isn't doing it that way because he knew just one version of a game was an immense undertaking and adding another was too much, or he thought he could make more money with just a high-end game, or it was a philosophical thing with him I don't know. However, Stern is clearly trying to serve the entry-level up through the elite collector, so they have gone the route of having multiple versions. Plus, you seem to be assuming that if weren't for the LE, the pro model would have a kickback... I'm assuming that no model would have a kickback if it wasn't in the LE.

#39 10 years ago

Guess i am still used to the old way of making games.
And thinking about it, it happens on the home console games as well. There's always a LE version with more levels and new stuff.
The difference in a ps3 game is that the LE is 20 or 30$ more.. on a pinner the LE is 2 or 3k more..
Guess i am pissed because i am poor and can't have it all lol

#40 10 years ago

Did any of the AUS games get delivered yet? They were shipped around 10 days ago so hopefully someone gets one open this week and can comment or take a video.

#41 10 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Agree. For me it is the only game that actually seems like an ok price for what you get ( code being the exception at moment. )

#42 10 years ago
Quoted from hassanchop:

The difference in a ps3 game is that the LE is 20 or 30$ more.. on a pinner the LE is 2 or 3k more..

Considering a pinner costs about 100x as much as a PS3 game the LE price difference is a about the same for both of them.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
$ 27.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

arcade-cabinets.com

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stle-video and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.