(Topic ID: 76399)

STLE Playfield Angle... I did something wrong.

By MapleSyrup

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Jediturtle
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jediturtle.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#16 1 year ago
Quoted from Admiral:

A slight hijack, but related to playfield angle.
I got a digital level from Home Depot. My bubble level next to the ball launcher shows nearly centered, with the bubble a bit toward the launcher but still well between the lines.
I put the digital level on the playfield and it says it's 5.9 or 6.0 degrees tilted (tested it both ways so it's accurately calibrated since it gives almost the same answer). Yet, I have read that 6.5 degrees is what this playfield should be.
So, my question is:
1. Trust the digital level and raise the playfield rear a bit?
2. Trust the bubble level and leave it at 6.0?
I haven't worked out via high school trig how much of a lift to the rear that 0.5 degrees is yet.
Why are these two things in such disagreement? Or, is the bubble level just pretty inaccurate?
Thanks!

The bubble should never be trusted. They are a waste of space and BOM cost that I can't believe Stern still bothers using. They are rarely accurate and only cause confusion. Measure directly on the playfield. Most modern games are designed for 6.5 deg, though there are a few where the designer has suggested 7 (JP and DP come to mind). Of course you can adjust to your preference from there. Most people like to run them higher, though remember if you have issues with shots or features not working right, it could be a result of being set-up out of spec. Most also think it makes them more difficult steeper (because of the speed), but in some ways it makes them easier by cutting down on side-to-side motion and making it easier to trap up. Bottom line is...it's your game so play it how it makes you happy, but remember MOST were designed for 6.5.

Back to the original topic, that's hilarious. For me it is always forgetting to put the balls back in. If I have taken them out 100 times, I have forgot to put them back 95, LOL!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jediturtle.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside