(Topic ID: 76399)

STLE Playfield Angle... I did something wrong.

By MapleSyrup

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Jediturtle
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg

#1 7 years ago

Using a pretty cool inclinometer App on my iPad I managed to adjust the playfield angle to exactly 6.5 degrees... But I forgot something when I put the glass back on! I'm an idiot.

image.jpg

#2 7 years ago

Done stupider things over the years. At least it is an easy fix.

#3 7 years ago

Does it support multiball gestures?

#4 7 years ago

When I first set mine up, I set it for 6.5. The kickback shot perfectly into the right orbit. Now that its at 6.7 it tends to go just a little up the right ramp and roll back down. Maybe when I get around to it I'll put it back.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

Using a pretty cool inclinometer App on my iPad I managed to adjust the playfield angle to exactly 6.5 degrees... But I forgot something when I put the glass back on! I'm an idiot.

image.jpg 180 KB

Um dude you have an ipad on your playfield

#6 7 years ago

Ha Ha! I only laugh because I just did that after cleaning and waxing then leveling my Fish Tales machine. Got her all buttoned up, looked down and saw a very nice laser level sitting pretty on the play field...

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Um dude you have an ipad on your playfield

The best part was, it wasn't even ME that noticed! I adjusted 3 machines in a row. I figured, while I'm doing it, I may as well do all of them. My sons were playing WOZ right next to my head, so it was pretty loud under there, and I was having each of them relay the numbers to me under the machine while the other continued to play, and I did the adjustments. Afterwards we were halfway through a game of WOZ, when my 14 year old said, "Dad... you left your iPad in Star Trek!"

It was a funny moment.

#8 7 years ago

Love this.

#9 7 years ago

haha for a second i was like "woah does ST have an inverted lower playfield like Black Hole? sweet!"

#10 7 years ago

I just realized a STLE costs the same as a ST Pro + 6 brand new iPads

#11 7 years ago

A slight hijack, but related to playfield angle.

I got a digital level from Home Depot. My bubble level next to the ball launcher shows nearly centered, with the bubble a bit toward the launcher but still well between the lines.

I put the digital level on the playfield and it says it's 5.9 or 6.0 degrees tilted (tested it both ways so it's accurately calibrated since it gives almost the same answer). Yet, I have read that 6.5 degrees is what this playfield should be.

So, my question is:

1. Trust the digital level and raise the playfield rear a bit?

2. Trust the bubble level and leave it at 6.0?

I haven't worked out via high school trig how much of a lift to the rear that 0.5 degrees is yet.

Why are these two things in such disagreement? Or, is the bubble level just pretty inaccurate?

Thanks!

#12 7 years ago

7.0 degrees is where it is at!!! Maybe that is why my pro on location still has the default GC score sitting there

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from Admiral:

I got a digital level from Home Depot. My bubble level next to the ball launcher shows nearly centered, with the bubble a bit toward the launcher but still well between the lines.
I put the digital level on the playfield and it says it's 5.9 or 6.0 degrees tilted (tested it both ways so it's accurately calibrated since it gives almost the same answer). Yet, I have read that 6.5 degrees is what this playfield should be.
So, my question is:
I haven't worked out via high school trig how much of a lift to the rear that 0.5 degrees is yet.
Why are these two things in such disagreement? Or, is the bubble level just pretty inaccurate?
Thanks!

Trust the digital level. But more importantly trust how the game 'feels'. If after you make it 6.5 according to the digital level and it feels steep or some shots don't feel right or part of the design feels off, lower it a tad til it feels right.

6 years later
#14 1 year ago

Just picked up a Pro. It's set at 6, doesn't seem right.
What's the best angle for a fast playing setup 7??

#15 1 year ago

I usually forget to put the balls back in.

#16 1 year ago
Quoted from Admiral:

So, my question is:
Thanks!

The bubble should never be trusted. They are a waste of space and BOM cost that I can't believe Stern still bothers using. They are rarely accurate and only cause confusion. Measure directly on the playfield. Most modern games are designed for 6.5 deg, though there are a few where the designer has suggested 7 (JP and DP come to mind). Of course you can adjust to your preference from there. Most people like to run them higher, though remember if you have issues with shots or features not working right, it could be a result of being set-up out of spec. Most also think it makes them more difficult steeper (because of the speed), but in some ways it makes them easier by cutting down on side-to-side motion and making it easier to trap up. Bottom line is...it's your game so play it how it makes you happy, but remember MOST were designed for 6.5.

Back to the original topic, that's hilarious. For me it is always forgetting to put the balls back in. If I have taken them out 100 times, I have forgot to put them back 95, LOL!

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside