(Topic ID: 77593)

STLE or AVLE: which one should I get for our next machine?

By Buckman

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 106 posts
  • 43 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Rarehero
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Would you go with STLE or AVLE?”

• STLE: I'm the latest and greatest, no doubt you want to go with me. Have you seen my light show? I'm going top 10 by the time my code is done. 87 votes
    77%
  • AVLE: Sure I've had my problems, but when you get me dialed up I can rock it with the best of them. 26 votes
    23%

(113 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Unknown-556.jpeg
There are 106 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 10 years ago

Right now we have MM, Tron LE, ACDC Premium, Xmen LE and LOTR. We're looking to get a new machine and I've narrowed it down to either a STLE or an AVLE (Hulk). Just wondering which one you'd go with?

I really enjoy all of the machines that we currently have, they offer a good mix of game styles. I know AVLE doesn't get a lot of love on an overall basis, but I'm the kind of guy who likes tinkering with machines and remember this would be in a home environment (so hopefully I could get it dialed in pretty good - if anyone has a Tron I'm sure you've seen some of my threads I've posted up).

I've only played a couple of games on AVLE and it had the typical ball hang ups, but it looks like it's a machine that could be challenging and a lot of fun. As for STLE, it sure does seem to be getting a lot of positive reviews and it does look pretty cool. I've played a Pro and really enjoyed it.

I know STLE seems like the hands down winner, but AVLE just might be something we'd all enjoy (my 10 year old really likes to play pinball as well).

If you've got your 2 cents to offer up I'd appreciate it!

#2 10 years ago

Serious? Other than saving cash, STLE.

#3 10 years ago

Avengers has a more unique layout but Star Trek is the better game.

#4 10 years ago

STLE all the way brosef

#5 10 years ago

how about NEITHER. how about you pick one you actually played a lot. Play a game least 20+ times before you sink money into it. You can't go wrong that way. Don't listen to others what you should like. make up your own mind by actually playing to pick. Don't buy into hype, because 96% of the time, they are full of shit,and suffer from New tail syndrome. Don't be a lemming.

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

how about NEITHER. how about you pick one you actually played a lot. Play a game least 20+ times before you sink money into it. You can't go wrong that way. Don't listen to others what you should like. make up your own mind by actually playing to pick. Don't buy into hype, because 96% of the time, they are full of shit,and suffer from New tail syndrome. Don't be a lemming.

So true Captain! Back in the Summer of 2012 I bought an Xmen LE when it first came out and it was a painful NIB experience. I told myself never to do that again and to wait and play before I buy. Didn't buy AV, MET, or ST right away. I've played around 10 games on a ST pro and really enjoyed it. If I do end up going with an AVLE I definitely want to play it some more before I ultimately decide.

#7 10 years ago

I have about 200 plays in on STLE no regrets absolutely love the game! When I get home from work I head right out to the game room to play it. My problem right now is that I can't stop thinking about AC/DC Luci I want it! But have a couple other games in the pipeline. What to do what to do??

#8 10 years ago

Lol is this poll a joke? Might as well add Xmen to the choices to enhance the humor...

#9 10 years ago

Well did go for a STLE. I would recommend Avengers to anyone after i did try it... and i love the comics

#10 10 years ago

Pick up a HUO Hulk LE for a hair over 5K, get it dialed in, and don't look back.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

My problem right now is that I can't stop thinking about AC/DC Luci I want it!

I think you are just associating the Luci with the cool stuff you can do with the box

Both are excellent games, price tag alone would push me into the Avengers LE or this mythical premium model that no one has.

edit-Im not sure what gambit is saying but sounds like he played Avengers on route that had nothing done to it.

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

I think you are just associating the Luci with the cool stuff you can do with the box
Both are excellent games, price tag alone would push me into the Avengers LE or this mythical premium model that no one has.
edit-Im not sure what gambit is saying but sounds like he played Avengers on route that had nothing done to it.

Good point maybe I should just buy your Luci box from you... shoot if you autographed it and I hogged that hole out a little bigger when I got it the darn thing would be perfect

#13 10 years ago

Play a good avengers and then decide, it's a fantastic game. Ignore the negative commentary about the game until YOU play it.

#14 10 years ago

STLE trumps a well dialed in avengers anyday

#15 10 years ago

Depends what kind of game you want.

Do you want speed/flow like your Tron but with tons-of-mode rules like your Xmen? Get Star Trek LE

Do you want a game that's kind of Jpop inspired with rules like Monster Bash+ and game lengths like your LOTR? Get Avengers LE

#16 10 years ago

Play them both and get the one you like.
AVLE is a great game once it is tweaked and there are some good deals to be made on it.
I would go with AVLE and wait till the STLE's start to show up on the HUO market and score one then.
They are making 799 of them so it isn't like they won't be available down the road when the next latest and greatest is released.

#17 10 years ago

STLE way better game than AVLE.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

STLE all the way brosef

Can't say this enough...and I own an Avengers LE and have never played a ST lol

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from turbo20lbs:

Lol is this poll a joke? Might as well add Xmen to the choices to enhance the humor...

X-Men is a great pin. So suck it.

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

X-Men is a great pin. So suck it.

+1. Xmen gets the most plays in my collection. Super hard, keeps me coming back for more. Maybe it is too difficult a game for turbo20lbs, therefore he can't fully appreciate it?

#21 10 years ago

Same here QuarterrGrabber, I play my Wolverine WAY more than any other pin in my collection (ACDC Prem, IM, SM, and Avengers LE)

#22 10 years ago

I see centerflank gave me thumbs down. Trying to make sure nobody catches up to his recordbreaking time wasting.

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

STLE trumps a well dialed in Avengers anyday

You wouldn't say that if you just got avengers and had STLE for a year. Did you EVER have a well dialed in Avengers? LOL.

Ive only played the ST pro about 20 times. I like it. But it's not "all that" at this point.

I didn't even like Avengers after 20 games. Took about 100 games. Then I loved it. 13 months later I still do.

Don't ever believe the hype. Play the games and buy the one you prefer. The path of least resistance is just that. Sometimes the road less travelled has all the cool shit.

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

When you talk about Lucy's box are we regressing towards a sloppy seconds scenario?

#25 10 years ago

I own both, STLE wins. TAVLE is good value for the money at current huo prices, but if money was no object STLE wins.

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from turbo20lbs:

LOL

You got a bunch of thumbs down for this post, but I personally agree with you, so big thumbs UP!

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

You wouldn't say that if you just got Avengers and had STLE for a year. Did you EVER have a well dialed in Avengers? LOL.

Yes, actually, he did.

#28 10 years ago

Why bother with ST right now. Just like all sterns, they fall pretty sharply within a year when the hype calms down.

#29 10 years ago

All the opinions here don't mean squat play them both then decide.

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Yes, actually, he did.

Actually he didn't I spent quite a few hours tweaking it after I bought it.
I still haven't played a STLE but it is a SR game and I am sure I will like it when I buy one down the road.

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from tracelifter:

Actually he didn't I spent quite a few hours tweaking it after I bought it.
I still haven't played a STLE but it is a SR game and I am sure I will like it when I buy one down the road.

Well, he said he would have it "dialed in" but that it didn't stay that way for long, and he would have to "dial it in" again. And again. And that's why he sold it.

#33 10 years ago

Both in pro form
Just purchased AV pro after selling Hulk...great game for the money.
ST Pro gets all the code updates and you could have both for close to the same money as a STLE.

#34 10 years ago

Do what I did and order both. STLE and AVLE arrive next week.

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

You wouldn't say that if you just got Avengers and had STLE for a year. Did you EVER have a well dialed in Avengers? LOL.
Ive only played the ST pro about 20 times. I like it. But it's not "all that" at this point.
I didn't even like Avengers after 20 games. Took about 100 games. Then I loved it. 13 months later I still do.
Don't ever believe the hype. Play the games and buy the one you prefer. The path of least resistance is just that. Sometimes the road less travelled has all the cool shit.

Mine would stay dialed in for a week. Spend a day tweaking so I can play it again. I ain't dissing on avengers, I love that game. STLE is just in another league, that's all.

#36 10 years ago

Avengers if you're a reasonable player, becomes a game of endless multiballs and gets boring because of it. The shots are nice, maybe a little too tight and Hulk does look great. It's no contest though STLE is beautiful with decent rules and wonderful flowing shots.

I've had both Hulk left a while back, no intention that ST will leave

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Yes, actually, he did.

No he didn't. That's why he sold it. He's said so numerous times since he did so. But whatever. STLE has to be good. SR + most expensive game ever = has to be good. Otherwise it's an epic fail. To each his own. People like what they like, and I tend to like what's better.

#38 10 years ago

Can you buy ST Pro (NIB) + Avenger Pro (HUO) for the price of STLE?
That would be my suggestion then, if you can't decide...

#39 10 years ago

Avoid Avengers. Too much work to make it passable, and even at that point it's just not very fun. Avengers feels like a grind, even when you do get the shots down. Before you get the shots down, it's just a clunky mess.

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Avoid Avengers. Too much work to make it passable, and even at that point it's just not very fun. Avengers feels like a grind, even when you do get the shots down. Before you get the shots down, it's just a clunky mess.

You just described my ex wife.

#41 10 years ago

Yeah, just get STLE. It's the safe play.

#42 10 years ago

Is this a straight up battle, cost is no object battle, or do you take into consideration that STLE is 8K and AVLE is 5K?

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Can you buy ST Pro (NIB) + Avenger Pro (HUO) for the price of STLE?
That would be my suggestion then, if you can't decide...

All things equal very close 1k ....ie retail to retail. We all know you can get these cheaper.
ST pro $4995 AV pro $4599 Ebay
STLE $8395 Ebay

Put that to the real world pricing and its even closer IMO.
If you bundle shipping with a vendor I bet it would be much much closer NIB.
I just purchased my Avengers pro HUO we will call it 33-3400 range.
Now add a ST pro for the going rate and we are almost dead equal.

#44 10 years ago

I'm not convinced Star Trek is a game with staying powers in the long term.

On the other hand I'm convinced that Avengers is terrible. The scoring is screwed, the layout needed another whitewood or two, the whole game feels like chopping wood. There's ball hang-ups all over the place. There's a giant spinny thing in the midde---that no one ever shoots at.

Therefore, it's an easy choice. That said, I'd buy the Pro on ST. I'm not convinced by the extra bling on that game being worth $3k.

#45 10 years ago
Quoted from Excalabur:

There's a giant spinny thing in the midde---that no one ever shoots at.

This is incorrect, activating the Tesseract multiple times lights extra ball and really jacks your score up quickly, collecting the Tesseract jackpots is usually a very nice amount (5-10million or whatever)

The Tesseract mod, which a good chunk of us have and I know Buckman would put one in his game, is Awesome when spinning with the flasher going off behind it.

Edit-----Actually, completing the lighting of the C-O-S-M-I-C letter inserts multiple times is what lights the extra ball, my bad!

#46 10 years ago

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for offering up their thoughts and opinions, I definitely appreciate the insight! If I was just basing my decision on a comparison of these two machines it sure seems like STLE would be the one that I'd go with (and most other Pinsiders as well). For myself I'm looking at a machine that'll fit in with our overall collection and hopefully give the family a lot of enjoyment.

As usandthem mentions, an AVLE would end up costing around $3k less, so that's definitely something to consider as well, but the cost wouldn't be the ultimate factor (but saving a few grand would be nice, no doubt about it). Hooked makes a good point about being able to get both in the Pro form for pretty close to what a STLE would run.

As Centerflank mentions, if we go with an AVLE it would definitely have things such as the Tesseract mod, that would be a must as it's pretty cool (maybe I'd even find a way to hook up Eli's Tron fiber optic kit in it as well).

Rarehero makes a good comparison of the two machines and if somebody could tell me I could have a machine that has the fast furious flow of Tron and a funky mode set like Xmen I'd say that sounds like a winner. Tron and Xmen are two of my favourite machines, for different reasons.

Thanks again!

#47 10 years ago

Is this seriously a question

Stle

#48 10 years ago

When I go to The Arcade in Brighton, MI, I have about 50+ games to choose from-- mostly A titles. And I find myself drawn to and subsequently addicted to the Hulk LE every time. And yes, they have an STLE too.

#49 10 years ago
Quoted from Excalabur:

I'm not convinced Star Trek is a game with staying powers in the long term.
On the other hand I'm convinced that Avengers is terrible. The scoring is screwed, the layout needed another whitewood or two, the whole game feels like chopping wood. There's ball hang-ups all over the place. There's a giant spinny thing in the midde---that no one ever shoots at.
Therefore, it's an easy choice. That said, I'd buy the Pro on ST. I'm not convinced by the extra bling on that game being worth $3k.

Everything you say is mostly wrong about Avengers. Just say you don't like it, but don't make stuff up.

#50 10 years ago

I love the worldwide response to this. There are 500 AVLEs in existence, but everybody has played one enough to have an opinion. Right.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
13,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 48.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Kami's Pinball Parts

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 255.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

arcade-cabinets.com

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Flagstaff, AZ
11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 106 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stle-or-avle-which-one-should-i-get-for-our-next-machine and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.