Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0674.JPG
IMG_0675.JPG
There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 10 years ago
Quoted from PinballCompany:

I'm surprised that in a world where LCD TVs, PCs, and other consumer electronics have fallen drastically, new pinball machines have gone the other direction. Is a change on the way? Will we ever see a quality machine for $3995 or less?

You should not be surprised at all. The products you mention are all built in Asian factories and built by the tens of thousands. There is WAY too much USA labor in a pinball machine to see prices go down while building them domestically. Also, they simply don't make enough of them to push pricing down on parts, etc... You would either have to have a technological breakthrough that allowed some other way to build the machines with a drastically lowered total man hours, or move them to over seas production to ever see the price go DOWN. Stern's cost of doing business only goes UP each year. Insurance, wages, power bills, parts... all going up. That makes the game price go up.

I think trying to build a pinball machine in China/Indonesia would be a nightmare at first, but could be done. I was with a major electronics and sound company during their shift to building in China, after being all USA built for 30+ years. It was a painful process with major QC issues, but eventually very good products (complex amps, mixers, controllers, etc) are now being produced at a FRACTION of the price that they could be in the USA. Also the parts list plays a major roll in getting the price down. When you build in China, you generally start using more Chinese (less expensive) built parts too.

Fine, I will do a podcast.

#52 10 years ago

Interesting experiment. I agree as most others do that the prices are too high on the 8k machines. Stern should focus on great under 5k machines.

Speaking of 8k machines, any idea when my Woz is coming? I am one of the Keller 4

I was praying for before santa arrives.

Kurt

I posted this one on eBay as an experiment. I do think the result is very telling to me. In this age of Pro/Standard plus multiple Premium and LE versions, I think we need a bit of a reality check. Not long ago, I could say that new pinball machines represented a great value compared to the surging prices of A list titles. I think Stern Pros represent great value but $8000 is definitely pushing it. I think it shows how strong the pinball market is and the door is wide open if you can build a great machine and retail it for under $5000. I'm surprised that in a world where LCD TVs, PCs, and other consumer electronics have fallen drastically, new pinball machines have gone the other direction. Is a change on the way? Will we ever see a quality machine for $3995 or less?

#53 10 years ago

So did the buyer of this ebay sale get his game ?

#54 10 years ago
Quoted from DougPiranha:

Interesting experiment. I agree as most others do that the prices are too high on the 8k machines. Stern should focus on great under 5k machines.
Speaking of 8k machines, any idea when my Woz is coming? I am one of the Keller 4
Kurt

If you paid 8k for a WOZ,you've got a bad taste in your mouth coming soon

#55 10 years ago
Quoted from C2CPinball:

You should not be surprised at all. The products you mention are all built in Asian factories and built by the tens of thousands. There is WAY too much USA labor in a pinball machine to see prices go down while building them domestically. Also, they simply don't make enough of them to push pricing down on parts, etc... You would either have to have a technological breakthrough that allowed some other way to build the machines with a drastically lowered total man hours, or move them to over seas production to ever see the price go DOWN. Stern's cost of doing business only goes UP each year. Insurance, wages, power bills, parts... all going up. That makes the game price go up.I think trying to build a pinball machine in China/Indonesia would be a nightmare at first, but could be done. I was with a major electronics and sound company during their shift to building in China, after being all USA built for 30+ years. It was a painful process with major QC issues, but eventually very good products (complex amps, mixers, controllers, etc) are now being produced at a FRACTION of the price that they could be in the USA. Also the parts list plays a major roll in getting the price down. When you build in China, you generally start using more Chinese (less expensive) built parts too.Fine, I will do a podcast.

Just because a company can build a product cheaper overseas doesn't mean they will pass the savings off to the consumer. As for the price of parts, with all the new pins being made (pls, Jersey Jack, and the increased number of titles being produced by Stern compared to the lean years), I would think the parts should be about the same, if not a little cheaper. I would assume a lot of the parts in a pin are produced overseas now, and assembled here, but I may be wrong. I believe the reason for the price increases is because people are paying them, and after the Mettalica LE sell out fiasco, Stern probably figured hey let's jack the price of the next pin up and see what happens. They figured Star Trek is a hot lisence, and Steve Richie as the designer would be a double home run, so let's see how high we can go. I worked in the manufacturing industry for 25 years, and the only thing that would cause the company to lower prices were competition, or lack of sales. I don't think anyone really knows what the actual cost of producing a pin is at Stern, we only see what distributor sell them for. If Stern can produce a pro model that is significantly cheaper, then I am sure there is some gouging going on with the LE. They both do use the same basic parts, same wire, pop bumper assemblies, etc. The LE in my opinion doesn't have close to 3k more in parts on it. People may disagree, but this is just my 2 cents.

#56 10 years ago

I don't buy pinball machines as investments. I buy them as toys that I expect to depreciate. Every other hobby I ever had requires purchasing things that drop in value.

So no bad taste here no matter what its actually worth. As long as I can play it and have fun, I am happy. If its worth something when I am done, its all gravy.

Quoted from Breadfan:

If you paid 8k for a WOZ,you've got a bad taste in your mouth coming soon

#57 10 years ago
Quoted from DougPiranha:

Kurt

Kurt,

I have been disappointed by the number of machines I have received. No doubt games are going to people who ordered from JJP well after my wholesale order dated 2/26/11. I was recently told I would get no games until after Christmas. Not sure who is getting them.

Quoted from mnpinball:

So did the buyer of this ebay sale get his game ?

Yes, shipped already. I'm sure we have a happy buyer. Looking for Sterns at unbeatable prices? Just call and say you're a Pinsider

Quoted from C2CPinball:

You should not be surprised at all. The products you mention are all built in Asian factories and built by the tens of thousands. There is WAY too much USA labor in a pinball machine to see prices go down while building them domestically.

Agree with you, but if you have done a Stern factory tour you can do the math. 40 games a day with x number of line workers. I'm thinking under $400 per unit. Parts? I haven't a clue.

#58 10 years ago

A. Who is Chuck?
B. Your math is flawed beyond comprehension. It's not that easy.

#59 10 years ago
Quoted from C2CPinball:

A. Who is Chuck?
B. Your math is flawed beyond comprehension. It's not that easy.

Haha. Sorry, thought it was CP Pinball. Only Stern knows the cost of labor per machine. Didn't really do any math. Just conjecture.

#60 10 years ago

Kurt,
I have been disappointed by the number of machines I have received. No doubt games are going to people who ordered from JJP well after my wholesale order dated 2/26/11. I was recently told I would get no games until after Christmas. Not sure who is getting them.

Later games will have more of the "fixes" Its all good. I hope I get the last one off the line.

So my game will have a December or later manufacture date...WOOT!!!

#61 10 years ago
Quoted from DougPiranha:

Later games will have more of the "fixes" Its all good. I hope I get the last one off the line.
So my game will have a December or later manufacture date...WOOT!!!

That's been my attitude. My game and my tech Mark's game are in the same lot with Chad's 4. They will be some of the last ones made.

#62 10 years ago

My game arrived today earlier than advertised on the ebay auction. No. 252. The bottom corner of the box had some damage so I cut it open to check-out. Was surprised that there was no protection around the corner of the cabinet but everything was OK. Will probably have to wait until the weekend to get it to the 2nd floor game room.

IMG_0675.JPGIMG_0675.JPG IMG_0674.JPGIMG_0674.JPG
#63 10 years ago

Glad it got there with no damage. Please share your thoughts about the game when you get it set up!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 24.95
$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stle-on-ebay-with-no-reserve/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.