• Latest reply 8 years ago by dzoomer
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_1.jpg
image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider shimoda.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 8 years ago

You know how ratings go. I still think TSPP is a better game than most of what's in the Top 10 but that's my opinion. Something I do notice is that STLE has about half the ratings of ACDC which I think should be part of a calculation but these things are grain of salt anyway. I do personally enjoy ST more than ACDC but I haven't had enough time on ACDC to know the longer outcome of play - the theme doesn't do it for me though. I love the ST theme, sounds, call outs so it's up there more for me.

#45 8 years ago

Something to say about the ratings and where this 'belongs' in the rankings, particularly in response to comments about how the 90's B/W are there for nostalgia and it should be all Sterns b/c of rules, lighting, etc... Deeper and better rules don't necessarily make a game better otherwise both LOTR and TSPP would be at the top, similarly to number of shots, ramps, modes, etc. It's the overall package and despite nostalgia, the B/W games have 'stood the test of time' (albeit a very brief one from the standpoint of history). I look at the collections I most admire of my friends and they are all varied but have some common features: a few of the regularly sought after EMs - Abra, Atlantis, C37 (and many more), early Bally/Stern/Wms SS - Centaur, FG, Fathom, Paragon, HG, Nine Ball, Meteor, Galaxy; Sys 11 and similar from GTB, then WPC. All in all a good mix of machines each of which brings its own greatness. I can put hours on Paragon. Is it flashy like ST, IM, Tron, ACDC...nope, however it has better art than all of them, a different skillset required for greatness, a whole different feel. I got to borrow an Atlantis for a month or so and I played my other machines almost none. Part of it was the newness factor, part the limited time I knew I would have, but the real reason, the one that counts is how great the game is. Not deep, not flashy, one simple goal - improve my highest score. I managed to roll it twice and it felt so good.

I'd love to propose a rating system where it's about how you feel after really tearing it up on a game. Games like Atlantis, Flash Gordon, Paragon, and the like would probably be at the top of my list but it would still come down to how different the style of the game is. A friend recently said that after years of going from game to game thinking this was a keeper or that was a keeper he's decided that mainly it's about having a game or two at all to enjoy. Unfortunately, ratings only count that factor as one of many in rating the game.

#59 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Well my point is that ST is the highest rated SR pin and many people own or have owned both AcDc and ST premium and in many cases SM which all have the SR flow.

Strange thing here to me is that this game reminds me of Tron and IM somewhat crossed. The SR factor makes no difference to me as I can't think of another game of Ritchie's (other than ST) that I really like. Many are fun and all, but I just somehow don't like the feel of most of SR games as much as others. Rollergames would be an exception, I love the play of the game with the notable exception of the wasted left side of the playfield.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 27.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

arcade-cabinets.com

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

13,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider shimoda.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stle-now-a-top10-game?tu=shimoda and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.