• Latest reply 8 years ago by dzoomer
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_1.jpg
image.jpg
There are 91 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 8 years ago

Well my point is that ST is the highest rated SR pin and many people own or have owned both AcDc and ST premium and in many cases SM which all have the SR flow.

I believe AcDc is just as nice overall and more interesting (to me) since it has real toy (cannon) and what I like is AcDc has specific areas of the game for specific modes. Whereas to me ST is kind of generic except for what shots are lit.

So I'm giving AcDc a higher grade myself.

#52 8 years ago
Quoted from Drewblood419:

Metallica does feel like chopping wood until you get good at it if you don't get a crank it up you will never get how good it is

I had to sell a Bunch games Met LE, STLE, Tron LE, IM, AC/DC Prem ect.. and of everything I sold the 2 games I missed the most was my AC/DC Prem and my Met LE... The more time that passed after I sold those two games the more I wanted them back! I loved all the other games too, but sometimes you have to own and sell a game to figure out that it's a must have for you.

#54 8 years ago

I really enjoy ST and think that ST Prem/LE is a really sexy game... but, in my opinion, it doesn't hold a candle to AC/DC Prem/LE.

Beauty of pinball is that everyone enjoys their own thing...but, to me, this is a clear case where the ratings are out of whack.

#55 8 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

I loved all the other games too, but sometimes you have to own and sell a game to figure out that it's a must have for you.

Alternately, loan a game to a friend. Do a swap. I trade my Tron for a TSPP for a few months with a good friend of mine. Discovered how much I missed it when I got it back. Was really a nice way to find out that a game is a keeper. Tron is going nowhere.

#56 8 years ago

Star Trek a top 10 Pin?

*YAWN*

Us owners have known this the whole time.

Wake the Captain when there is a some REAL news.

#57 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Not even close in my book. I think it has more to do with lighting, bling factor and looks, not game play.

Shot flow wise, I think Star Trek shoots smooth like acdc but has a much better theme and a third flipper. Rule wise I think Star Trek has gotten really good and I feel like there's always strategy in it a lot like acdc but different. The sound effects feels better in Star Trek. I dunno. I think I like Star Trek better than Acdc bling aside.

#58 8 years ago

Star Trek is 90% of the way there, code wise. It needs a 1.7 polish. Fix some dots and display issues, a few bugs (no shot count on PDII for instance), let us select missions without the flippers going off, and a few other things I'm sure owners have noticed that I haven't.

All in all, 90% done sounds about right.

#59 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Well my point is that ST is the highest rated SR pin and many people own or have owned both AcDc and ST premium and in many cases SM which all have the SR flow.

Strange thing here to me is that this game reminds me of Tron and IM somewhat crossed. The SR factor makes no difference to me as I can't think of another game of Ritchie's (other than ST) that I really like. Many are fun and all, but I just somehow don't like the feel of most of SR games as much as others. Rollergames would be an exception, I love the play of the game with the notable exception of the wasted left side of the playfield.

#60 8 years ago

ST is light years better than TOM, TOTAN and TAF. It fully belongs in the top 10 without doubt. Personally I would put it in the top 5.

I should add that I think the early rating were in large part due to early software and a few very vocal people with an agenda on Pinside. Now that the software is awesome too and the hate has died, the ratings have settled where they belong.

#61 8 years ago

In my book yes, it's my favorite pin and a theme that I can own. I like it much better than my brother's TZ but to each his own.

BTW I love Mustang as well.

#62 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Alternately, loan a game to a friend. Do a swap. I trade my Tron for a TSPP for a few months with a good friend of mine. Discovered how much I missed it when I got it back. Was really a nice way to find out that a game is a keeper. Tron is going nowhere.

This is sound advice. Especially if you have friends you can trust with your games to take care of them and acknowledge problems before they become severe. Like if a flasher or coil locks on, they know enough to turn the game off right away.

#63 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

This is sound advice. Especially if you have friends you can trust with your games to take care of them and acknowledge problems before they become severe. Like if a flasher or coil locks on, they know enough to turn the game off right away.

In my case not only do I trust my friend, he's the one I call when shit breaks that I can't fix myself.

#64 8 years ago

As Long as TOM is a Top Ten machine... Any machine can be in the Top Ten

#65 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

In my case not only do I trust my friend, he's the one I call when shit breaks that I can't fix myself.

those are good friends. It's always good to have friends that know even more on fixing shit.

#66 8 years ago

I prefer ST over AC/DC by a large margin. I do really like the 3rd flipper and the warp shot, something it definitely has over AC/DC.

#67 8 years ago
Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

It's good, and I'd say top 10 is a possibility. I do think Star Trek should be under AC/DC and MET though.

And Spider-Man, IMHO.

#68 8 years ago

It's a BOAT ANCHOR!

#69 8 years ago

This thing flows like butter, i cant think of a game with better flow than ST and Spidey, not sure why i cant get into it though.

#70 8 years ago
Quoted from whisper:

This thing flows like butter, i cant think of a game with better flow than ST and Spidey, not sure why i cant get into it though.

You're having a problem getting into it because the modes still feel generic. So it can feel like you are not accomplishing anything except putting out lights as the ball flows around. One thing sort of flows into the next, with some different stuff in between (Kobiashi, EA). Play it more as a "shot to shot" game instead of a story mode based game. That starts to take advantage of the flow of the game and brings you to only worrying about the next shot. It also leads you to better scores with the combos. Eventually the differences in the mode shot patterns will stick, and you will start using the flow to really start ripping them up.

#71 8 years ago

I have the LE and I can tell you that my friends who are only capable of putting up like 15 million love to play this game. Everything about the game, keeps pulling them back in…and remember, they aren't trekkies like me. They can care less for Star Trek as a whole (except for one of them).

#72 8 years ago
Quoted from Rick432:

And Spider-Man, IMHO.

Personally I think the most recent code puts it above Spiderman. SM is mostly just Doc Ock then Black Suit all day, while Star Trek forces players to really play around the game a bit in single ball, since there's no safe way to get to multiball.

#73 8 years ago

Aurich hit it! If your having fun,thats the bottom line! For me,ac/dc doesn't do it for me,to much of that cannon!Met.looks like a comic book,and its easy to hit the snake as well...so..enjoy what you like,like what you enjoy,and ratings,don't do it!!!Peace

#74 8 years ago

If you guys liked STLE now, get the blackout mod with an upgraded laser, all i can say is WOW!

#75 8 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

Aurich hit it! If your having fun,thats the bottom line! For me,ac/dc doesn't do it for me,to much of that cannon!Met.looks like a comic book,and its easy to hit the snake as well...so..enjoy what you like,like what you enjoy,and ratings,don't do it!!!Peace

You can have the cannon be less in AcDc by the menu so its not active until you light Fire a few times.

#76 8 years ago

Why the hell would you want to avoid the cannon, though? FIRE!!!

#77 8 years ago
Quoted from SuperPinball:

If you guys liked STLE now, get the blackout mod with an upgraded laser, all i can say is WOW!

Sorry to be off topic, but I do have this mod (love it!!) but I'm never sure how I activate this mode (Klingon) as opposed to fighting the Vengance multiball.

#78 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Why the hell would you want to avoid the cannon, though? FIRE!!!

I guess it's a choice, not to be active by default so you can build up a song JP before you load the cannon on the first ramp shot.

#79 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I guess it's a choice, not to be active by default so you can build up a song JP before you load the cannon on the first ramp shot.

Yeah...but I always just load the cannon first, fire it off at the bell, and then continue on my merry way. Or you can take it as more of challenge because you have to avoid the right ramp shot until you're ready to start your multiballs and/or collect your song jackpot.

#80 8 years ago
Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

Personally I think the most recent code puts it above spiderman. SM is mostly just Doc Ock then Black Suit all day, while Star Trek forces players to really play around the game a bit in single ball, since there's no safe way to get to multiball.

Getting to multiball in Spider-Man is not one of the major goals of the game nor will someone shooting just those shots progress at all. In fact, starting a multiball actually locks you out of starting a wheel mode. Instead, you need to actually avoid starting multiball, pick off the white spiders to start a wheel mode and during the wheel mode you can start a multiball. That's the only way you can progress to the 6 stage wizard mode. Picking off the white spiders forces you to shoot every shot in the game and you have to do it strategically to avoid starting a multiball at the wrong time. In the code department, Star Trek cannot compete with Spider-Man.

#81 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Getting to multiball in Spider-Man is not one of the major goals of the game nor will someone shooting just those shots progress at all. In fact, starting a multiball actually locks you out of starting a wheel mode. Instead, you need to actually avoid starting multiball, pick off the white spiders to start a wheel mode and during the wheel mode you can start a multiball. That's the only way you can progress to the 6 stage wizard mode. Picking off the white spiders forces you to shoot every shot in the game and you have to do it strategically to avoid starting a multiball at the wrong time. In the code department, Star Trek cannot compete with Spider-Man.

You are totally right, if you play to become a superhero! If you go for points only... it is all about doc ock, over and over and over and over and over again... Thats why ac/dc is such a great machine...different valid ways to go for.

And yes - becoming a superhero is great fun!

ST is a great game either! On that level it is hard to say... This one is better than that one... It is depending how the Last games worked out

1 week later
#82 8 years ago

So how did Star Trek LE/Premium just jump from number 9 to number 16 in the top 100?

#83 8 years ago

I guess I'm crazy, but lately I'm enjoying a bunch of classic system 11s over ST.
Taxi, whirlwind, BK2K. Decent examples maybe add up to a premium ST.. I'll keep the classics... At least for now.

#84 8 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

So how did Star Trek LE/Premium just jump from number 9 to number 16 in the top 100?

People saw it ranked high and went back and lowered there ratings or added bad ratings. Pretty silly and petty.

#85 8 years ago

It was ranked 16th back in July and for most of its life, it's not some great injustice that this game dropped slightly out of the top 10.

#86 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Also interesting that Met pro and Premium and Tron Pro and LE are rated roughly the same but ST pro which has about the same gameplay as STLE yet ST pro is rated 12 spots lower (mainly) for asthetics and lighting effects.

Ironically - I prefer the insert lighting on ST Pro to STLE There's just too many sweeps of all the same color inserts on the LE, and I find the vibrancy of the colors better on the Pro. I'm looking forward to see what they do with the 63 RGB inserts on GoT though.

#87 8 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

People saw it ranked high and went back and lowered there ratings or added bad ratings. Pretty silly and petty.

The only new rating in the past week was someone who gave it a 2.5 but didn't leave a comment. That user gave Junkyard, Black Rose, Congo and a few others a perfect 10. Granted other users could have edited there ratings. I think it would be interesting to see a top 100 list that was based on the median rather than the average rating since the median would not be as influenced by extreme outliers that are probably entered to manipulate the list.

Good news is that when I played my game it was just as good as it was last week.

#88 8 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Perfect people change ratings so optics look better or put in bad rating to bring it back down. Terrible, wow.

#89 8 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

Must be the people from Spfxted's poll for his niece voting multiple times for other machines as well. It's starting to be like Florida around here lately...even dead people are voting.

#90 8 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

This happens all the time. Now you'll get people adjusting their rating higher in an attempt to raise it back up. This is why the ratings are not to be taken to serious. The older games, with a ton of ratings, tend to be more stable and hold up better to the manipulators.

#91 8 years ago
Quoted from twenty84:

The only new rating in the past week was someone who gave it a 2.5 but didn't leave a comment. That user gave junkyard, Black Rose, Congo and a few others a perfect 10. Granted other users could have edited there ratings. I think it would be interesting to see a top 100 list that was based on the median rather than the average rating since the median would not be as influenced by extreme outliers that are probably entered to manipulate the list.
Good news is that when I played my game it was just as good as it was last week.

Thx for pointing out. Sounded familiar. Check them out below. Same join date to the day, little to no participation, exact same 10.0 machine ratings for first account as second, and low trollish ratings of many new machines.
https://pinside.com/pinball/community/pinsiders/butch1
https://pinside.com/pinball/community/pinsiders/pinballkyle1

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

13,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 27.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 24.95
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

There are 91 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stle-now-a-top10-game/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.