image-242.jpg
image.jpg
thCA1L7MS4.jpg
thCA7WB1JD.jpg

#1 10 years ago

Looks like they released version 1.42 yesterday:

V1.42 - February 18, 2014
=======================

- rescue kick back is now more responsive.
- fixed a problem where the warp ramp chase lamps were not being shown correctly during lamp effects.

Anybody load it yet?

#2 10 years ago

2 major complaints, i hope it works! nice that we know we still have the Keith Urban powerpack coming, but something tells me if they released these bug fixes now the release of that is a ways off.

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

something tells me if they released these bug fixes now the release of that is a ways off.

Yeah, looks like they wanted to get the opto fix out now, I'd bet that any real new code is going to be part of the Karl Urban pack. Which makes sense really, because if they are doing any new rules or ideas they're probably tied to him doing custom instructions or voice calls. Last we heard they were recording "soon" I think.

Hey, I'm happy to get bug fixes, instead of making us wait for new rules to get them. Metallica fans would have been happy with just a mystery scoop update I suspect.

#4 10 years ago

Thanks for posting.

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Yeah, looks like they wanted to get the opto fix out now, I'd bet that any real new code is going to be part of the Karl Urban pack. Which makes sense really, because if they are doing any new rules or ideas they're probably tied to him doing custom instructions or voice calls. Last we heard they were recording "soon" I think.
Hey, I'm happy to get bug fixes, instead of making us wait for new rules to get them. Metallica fans would have been happy with just a mystery scoop update I suspect.

Yup. Plus these fixes only apply to LE/Premium, where Karl Urban's speech update will be for all models.

#6 10 years ago

think I'll wait as don't fancy updating all the songs again until powerpack is ready.

#7 10 years ago

I updated mine. It works ok, though I have yet to see if the kicker function is improved. But I lost all my custom settings and high scores in the process of updating. Is this typical, or did I do something wrong? I selected the "check image" function during the process...

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from Docray1:

I updated mine. It works ok, though I have yet to see if the kicker function is improved. But I lost all my custom settings and high scores in the process of updating. Is this typical, or did I do something wrong? I selected the "check image" function during the process...

Totally normal. Everything gets reset with updates on Stern machines. You didn't do anything wrong.

#9 10 years ago

Thanks...but kind of unfortunate that all is lost... Now my kids have a chance to take over all the high scores!

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from sillyoldelf:

think I'll wait as don't fancy updating all the songs again until powerpack is ready.

If you did it correctly, all of your edits are stored in the macro. All you would need to do is run the macro and your songs would come back. One button press and done!

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from Docray1:

Thanks...but kind of unfortunate that all is lost... Now my kids have a chance to take over all the high scores!

Again, pinball browser allows you to save all of your game settings/high scores/ custom sounds and artwork. Just plug them in to the 1.42 bin file before upgrading.

Sheesh!

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from MrDo:

Again, pinball browser allows you to save all of your game settings/high scores/ custom sounds and artwork. Just plug them in to the 1.42 bin file before upgrading.
Sheesh!

I guess I am now confused. This is my first Stern machine; I didnt save anything beforehand. If it possible to retrieve the high scores, that would be nice (I already redid all the custom settings). Please advise on how to do this, or otherwise how to handle this with future upgrades. I dont know where these scores might have been, or how to "plug them into the .bin file". Thanks!

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Might be working that voice over sooner than later. They announced on upproxx that they may cut the show off of fox, Not enough vewiership. No new episodes ordered. Hope that they don't do a family guy. Or sell to another network and keep it going.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from Docray1:

I guess I am now confused. This is my first Stern machine; I didnt save anything beforehand. If it possible to retrieve the high scores, that would be nice (I already redid all the custom settings). Please advise on how to do this, or otherwise how to handle this with future upgrades. I dont know where these scores might have been, or how to "plug them into the .bin file". Thanks!

Saving high scores between code updates is really not worth it. Most of the time the rules and scoring in the new code have changed so any previous high scores are irrelevant anyways.

#15 10 years ago

Update installed. Looks like the Warp ramp chase lights work every time now.

#16 10 years ago

Why didn't they put in a software save for when the ball goes through the left outlane too fast for the kickback to hit the ball? Doesn't TOTAN have that for when the cages do not catch the ball?

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Saving high scores between code updates is really not worth it. Most of the time the rules and scoring in the new code have changed so any previous high scores are irrelevant anyways.

Except this time there are no rule changes. So it would be good to save the high scores and all settings. That's why Pinball Browser is the bomb!

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from Docray1:

No problem, I'd be happy to help. Feel free to contact me via PM and I'll walk you through the process. You can go back and put in scores now and save them as the "default scores" for the High Score Table...at least that way you'll have something in there...

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from mrobertso2:

Might be working that voice over sooner than later. They announced on upproxx that they may cut the show off of fox, Not enough vewiership.

Sucks for the fans (never watched) but I'll take anything good for pinball!

#20 10 years ago

How to update the scores before you perform the upgrade. There is an alternative method to backing up your existing high scores directly FROM the MACHINE, but I'm guessing most will prefer this method…

(Pinball Browser required: https://docs.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0B6s4x7w30OtoYXlpUUNoTkl6b0U )

Ok… You are about to do what is probably the easiest thing in Pinball Browser.

First, download the Pinball Browser software.
Next, download the Star Trek firmware from Stern. I have the LE and it is "ST_LE_english.zip".
Extract the .zip file you got from Stern, just as you would to do an upgrade. Mine extracts to a file called "STLE1-42.bin".

Launch Pinball Browser. (PB from now on)
Press the Open button in PB.
Select the .bin file for the file you wish to edit. In this case "STLE1-42.bin"
Place a "check" in the box for "Keep CRC consistent". (Not a requirement, but best to do so.)
Once the .bin file is selected and loads in PB, you will be able to see frames of DMD animation in the lower portion of the window. These are editable also, but we are not interested in that right now.
Press the "High Scores" button in PB. You will see all of the default high scores from Stern.
Double-Click the name you wish to enter. Let's say "Ritchie" for now. The information box for "Ritchie" will open.
-The "Short Name" represents the initials on the high score table and the "Ritchie" is what will display if you allow long names for high scores.
-The "default Value" is the score that will show for that name or initial.

Once you have them all changed to whatever you like, press "Save As" at the top of PB. It will ask you for a name for the new .bin file. Generally, I put something like my initials and then the real name of the file so that I don't lose track of my edited one. For this example I'd use "MrDo_STLE1-42.bin"

Let the save complete and update your pin! You're done. It LOOKS like a lot when written out here, but it's really very simple. Good Luck!

#21 10 years ago

I have chase lights for the first time

#22 10 years ago

Has anyone had a ball come screaming into the outline yet? My chase lights work and all of the music files i switch on the PBBrowser work of course but i haven't had that perfect kickback situation happen yet. If that is truly fixed as well then I am happy with the code and don't care how long it takes for the next update!

#23 10 years ago

My kick back has more kick but still misses super fast ball.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#24 10 years ago

If it still misses why not a ball save

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

Seriously. Is it some stubborn "it should work" thing? Nothing more frustrating than having a feature designed to keep your ball alive fail, potentially ending your game.

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

Quoted from Aurich:

Seriously. Is it some stubborn "it should work" thing? Nothing more frustrating than having a feature designed to keep your ball alive fail, potentially ending your game.

That's exactly what it is - stubborness, put in the code to save your ball if the kick back activates. That's how it shoudl be and how it is in other games(let's see, ToM comes to mind as I was playing that, if the magnet fails, you still get your ball back-but that's a Bally so perhaps just expected)

#27 10 years ago

I still contend they used the wrong actuator and it will never work right mechanically. Only hope is a software ball save. The actuator needs to activate the swtich as close to the plunger as possible, then there's less timing problems between fast and slow balls. Oh well, it ain't gonna happen. Just seems odd that kickbacks have been around for decades and have always worked great (or least way better than this). Like my friend used to say about our college football team, find out what works and quit doing it.

#28 10 years ago

My kickback has only missed the ball maybe three times and the ball was zooming down the lane. I like the feature. Only game I've owned that has it. Kicked it weakly last night in a perfect arc across the playfield and down the right drain.

#29 10 years ago

Mine only misses maybe 1 out of 25 saves. It so rarely misses even before this update that I never gave it a second thought.

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from BillP:

That's exactly what it is - stubborness, put in the code to save your ball if the kick back activates. That's how it shoudl be and how it is in other games(let's see, ToM comes to mind as I was playing that, if the magnet fails, you still get your ball back-but that's a Bally so perhaps just expected)

The example I think of is Monster Bash, if the Phantom Flip fails then you get a ball save.

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Mine only misses maybe 1 out of 25 saves. It so rarely misses even
before this update that I never gave it a second thought.

It happened to me on a friend's LE, and it was just super frustrating. During a tournament too, which made it more annoying.

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

The example I think of is Monster Bash, if the Phantom Flip fails then you get a ball save.

I didn't know this^ pretty cool!

Quoted from Aurich:

It happened to me on a friend's LE, and it was just super frustrating. During a tournament too, which made it more annoying.

That sux! ^

#33 10 years ago

Mine only misses maybe 1 out of 25 saves. It so rarely misses even before this update that I never gave it a second thought.

Same. Warp lights have worked fine, too.

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from BillP:

Actually ToM is notorious for NOT having this in the code (failed magnet save does not award a ball save). ToTAN does however.

#35 10 years ago

I have chase lights for the first time

This is very good news. I haven't been home enough to update or check those opto's to see if that was it. So this is great news.

Re ToM. Agree no ball save if magnet allows ball to drain.

#36 10 years ago

Well I hear there is a much bigger update coming anyway so maybe they will tweak the kickback. I am still happy with the game!

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from Joshmx19:

Well I hear there is a much bigger update coming anyway so maybe they will tweak the kickback. I am still happy with the game!

The only thing that will fix the kickback misses completely is a software save.

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

2 major complaints, i hope it works! nice that we know we still have the Keith Urban powerpack coming, but something tells me if they released these bug fixes now the release of that is a ways off.

Is the Keith Urban power pack going to feature a bunch of guitar solos and overwrought new country ballads?? Looking forward to that!!

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

Is the Keith Urban power pack going to feature a bunch of guitar solos and overwrought new country ballads?? Looking forward to that!!

Keith Urban
thCA7WB1JD.jpgthCA7WB1JD.jpg

Karl Urban
thCA1L7MS4.jpgthCA1L7MS4.jpg

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

It happens on my LE. I wouldn't say it's frequent, but it's as frequent as a wild air all that jumps in to the right outlane! Mine seems to miss when the ball screams in to the outlane, or when it kind of knuckleballs in there. Never happens on a standard drain.

I think a software fix to allow a ball save from a missed kickback would be a great addition. Seems super easy to implement too. Not that I know squat about code, but it really seems like a simple, "If this, then that" type of thing as far as the logic goes. Seems like it would be a great addition for Pro models as well.

#41 10 years ago

Keith Urban
image.jpgimage.jpg
Karl Urban
Joseph Urban
image-242.jpgimage-242.jpg
Tim Urban
image-236.jpgimage-236.jpg
Sub Urban
image-45.jpgimage-45.jpg
T Urban
image.jpgimage.jpg
D Urban
image.jpgimage.jpg

#42 10 years ago

And THAT's when you know it's time for bed!!

#43 10 years ago

extra ball comes after warp 7 and not warp 3... Any other changes not listed in the update list?

#44 10 years ago

Image #7 looks like Dubai

#45 10 years ago

Sometimes my kickback is weak but just strong enough for the ball to arc over the slingshot and right down the middle.

I call it the limp dickback.

#46 10 years ago
Quoted from ritewhereiwant2b:

extra ball comes after warp 7 and not warp 3... Any other changes not listed in the update list?

The game defaults to a warp 7 EB and auto-percentages the award to meet the setting percentage. It will change up and down depending on player performance. . .

#47 10 years ago

The last couple of releases have made these changes Stern claims:

V1.42 - February 18, 2014
=======================
- rescue kick back is now more responsive.
- fixed a problem where the warp ramp chase lamps were not being shown correctly during lamp effects.

V1.41 - December 27, 2013
=======================
- added side rail and back box flasher lamps to the attract mode.

But, Ive noticed that you do not get an extra ball after warp three as you did before 1.42, but it seems you get it when you complete some fast consecutive warps? And Ive notices that the backbox lighting dims when playing to reduce the glass reflection I guess. When did they do that? Any other changes you guys notices?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stle-minor-code-release-142-143 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.