Topic Stats

• 52 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Meegis
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image_(resized).jpeg

There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 4 years ago

Thinking about upgrading my laser was looking for some reviews. If positive what color do you suggest? Thanks, Mike

#2 4 years ago

I second this question. I have premium and am wondering if I should upgrade the laser.

#3 4 years ago

I ordered the green upgrade from Cointaker and it arrived a few days ago. It is a very noticeable difference, MUCH brighter and in my opinion makes for a more interesting mode (I also have the blackout mod installed). The red laser that came with the machine always looked pretty washed out to me and also IMO red was not the best color to represent a star field. You might assume it would be the same case with green, but I found it looked a lot better to me. Is it worth the price to upgrade? I suppose it all comes down to how much the default laser bugs you, but I'm not sorry I did it.

#4 4 years ago

Neat. I didn't know there was such a thing...any videos?

#5 4 years ago

Bump! No one else updated the laser?

#6 4 years ago

Costs $106 http://cointaker.com/products/star-trek-laser-upgrade-mod
Or http://shop.cointaker.com/product.sc?productId=1656&categoryId=244

I asked this same question on the blackout thread, if this is a must have mod.

Question if the red pr green would look better with the blackout mod?

#7 4 years ago

I thought I read you can get the lasers you need on ebay for like under $10...

#8 4 years ago

I have the green laser combined with the blackout mod and think it looks great Even just the green laser looks much better than the stock red unit against the red Playfield, but when the lights go out with the blackout it's intense. A friend was over the other day and had a great idea though, why not a white laser to really simulate a starfield?

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from PNBLWZD:

why not a white laser to really simulate a starfield

Because white is the combination of every color of the light spectrum. Lasers only produce light at one frequency, and perceived color is based on the frequency of the light waves. At the least you'd have to have a red, green and blue laser in exact aligment (which is physically impossible), and at best you'd get misconvergence like on 3LCD projectors.

#10 4 years ago

I just ordered the green laser.

One aspect of the stock, the laser dots are very wide kind of washed out. I have not seen the upgraded except in video but look way more sharp.

Also, I put some tape on the lower half of the laser cut out on the apron so that the laser dots don't wash up on the flippers.

#11 4 years ago

Brought home a green laser from Cointaker...

#12 4 years ago

Gecko: please update on if the update is worth it. Thanks, Mike

#13 4 years ago

Will do. Give me a few days....

1 week later
#14 4 years ago

Any update on the laser. Looks like only green available now.

1 week later
1 week later
#16 4 years ago

What installation procedure is involved in the upgrade of the laser?

#17 4 years ago

Very simple once you remove the apron you will see how things work,takes about half hour to button it up

#18 4 years ago

Installed the green laser...loving it! Very easy plug and play installation. Much brighter and much more dramatic effect with green instead of red

#20 4 years ago

wrong link sorry this one has gameplay with laser upgraded

#21 4 years ago

I got the green upgrade and really like it, have black out mod as well.

#22 4 years ago

Maybe it looks better in person but from the video I prefer the red.

1 week later
#23 4 years ago

Has anyone install Cointaker Star Trek LE Lazer mod in RED. Is it much better than the stock Red Lazer that comes with the game. I hate to send the money if it is not much better than the stock one. I am not crazy about the green one.

#24 4 years ago

I just installed the green laser in my Star Trek Premium. I also made a video that I will be posting soon of the installation of the laser. I think it is worth the upgrade price. Makes a big difference.

#25 4 years ago

I'm working on getting some samples made myself... I can't and won't spend what cointaker wants for them.

#26 4 years ago

There are quit a few options out there for just the unit if you were a DIY'er. I am one of the aformentioned DIY'ers for the most part but I have just been too busy to look into it enough to make a purchase and give it a go.

#27 4 years ago

I just installed the Cointaker Laser Upgrade Mod. Posted on my blog and made a video of the install

Blog Post :
https://pinballsupernova.wordpress.com/2015/11/24/mod-install-cointaker-laser-upgrade-for-star-trek-leprem/

Video Install :

http://www.pinballsupernova.com/star%20trek%20laser%20mod.html

1 week later
#28 4 years ago

I'm working on sourcing some laser module samples... I have Green, Blue, and Violet coming. The latter two are unique; which is why I requested them as samples. My gut tells me Blue may be too dim to be useful and Violet may not look right.
Regardless; let me know if there is interest in videos of these?

#29 4 years ago

So, the stock is Red and the DMD is red, when klingon multi-ball starts, the red dots show on the DMD. I have the cointaker / green laser mod - and love it. I thought the red on the dmd / vs the green pinpoints (not matching) would tweak my OCD but it doesn't at all.

In fact, I think it makes it more authentic, since the lighting onboard a bird of prey is very green-dominant. Just my two cents.

The mod itself is literally just a green laser pointer, with a pinch clip holding down an external side button, with alligator clips into a nearby power source. Not trying to steer you away from the mod but didn't want you to think it was something specifically fabbed for this purpose - it is not

#30 4 years ago

Still would love to see an upgraded RED laser.

Preferably with blackout mod!

#31 4 years ago

The DMD doesn't matter to me. I swapped very early for a color dmd running in sigma mode because I could not stand the miss-aligned blocks.

KBOP isn't green dominate... as there isn't one in a stock game.

I'm taking the mod a little further; having a custom assembly created in these colors. In the end; they all have the same laser dot cap. I'm hoping / expecting to provide a drop in replacement for the existing red - still waiting for samples to arrive to do some testing.

3 weeks later
#32 4 years ago

All,
I'm interested in your opinion on a Blue Laser upgrade for the Stern Star Trek Premium / LE.

This laser is about half the wattage I hope to use; but I'm still waiting on a sample of the higher power. The plan is to have this laser upgrade available - hopefully in February as a bolt-on Modification to the existing laser.

Is there any interest?

#33 4 years ago

So want one on my Pro. Maybe TimeBandits GI board can control one some day like the cross on met pro.

#34 4 years ago

Really need the blackout mod to go with the laser mod. A powerful laser will still get washed out by the GI.

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from BOBCADE:

So want one on my Pro. Maybe TimeBandits GI board can control one some day like the cross on met pro.

Maybe it's elite-ism that I'll eventually get over; BUT - I right now I'm in the camp of the Laser should be a Premium/LE-only feature as Stern intended.

Quoted from spidey:

Really need the blackout mod to go with the laser mod. A powerful laser will still get washed out by the GI.

So you are suggesting that I offer a package deal? Not that I have rights to the blackout mod; I'd have to come up with my own solution.

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

So you are suggesting that I offer a package deal? Not that I have rights to the blackout mod; I'd have to come up with my own solution.

Well just thinking you might want to try it out, as I believe you have to pair the two mods together to make the laser really stand out. I have a green laser and it really stood out more after I added the blackout kit. You can see in the beginning of the mb, when GI is off, you can really see the blue dots on the pf, but they disappear somewhat once the GI comes back on.

#37 4 years ago

I got an upgraded red laser from Cointaker for Christmas. Got everything hooked up relatively easy, but I must say I'm disappointed. It's maybe a teeny bit brighter. Anyone else disappointed with the upgraded laser?

Still baffled by what the alligator clips portion does. I hooked it up as instructed, but the white 2 pin connector doesn't seem to hook to anything. Not exactly sure what this does. Instructions were spartan.

#38 4 years ago

I put the green CT laser in & if anything it's too bright!

#39 4 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

I got an upgraded red laser from Cointaker for Christmas. Got everything hooked up relatively easy, but I must say I'm disappointed. It's maybe a teeny bit brighter. Anyone else disappointed with the upgraded laser?
Still baffled by what the alligator clips portion does. I hooked it up as instructed, but the white 2 pin connector doesn't seem to hook to anything. Not exactly sure what this does. Instructions were spartan.

I did an install video on my site if you want to check it out. I think the 2 pin connector you are speaking about connects to the laser which connects to the power harness of the pinball machine with the alligator clips. I replaced the alligator clips and soldered the connectors directly to the board. I installed the green laser and saw a great improvement from the stock Laser to the Cointaker Laser. I am waiting for the blackout mod . When I receive that I will do a vid .

Install Video :

Blog Entry :
https://pinballsupernova.wordpress.com/2015/11/24/mod-install-cointaker-laser-upgrade-for-star-trek-leprem/

#40 4 years ago
Quoted from wiggy07:

I did an install video on my site if you want to check it out. I think the 2 pin connector you are speaking about connects to the laser which connects to the power harness of the pinball machine with the alligator clips. I replaced the alligator clips and soldered the connectors directly to the board. I installed the green laser and saw a great improvement from the stock Laser to the Cointaker Laser. I am waiting for the blackout mod . When I receive that I will do a vid .
Install Video :
ยป YouTube video
Blog Entry :

So you don't connect the white 2 pin connector of the new laser back into the old white 2 pin connector where you pulled out the old laser? Instead, you plug it into the white 2 pin connector that's attached to the red/black alligator clip wires?

#41 4 years ago

???

#42 4 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Perhaps you are missing the blackout mod? Got have that and the laser totally rocks after.

#43 4 years ago

BTW, wouldn't just swapping a green laser for the rad increase visibility due to the nature of light colors, eyes, and lasers?

#44 4 years ago
Quoted from pinchamp:

Perhaps you are missing the blackout mod? Got have that and the laser totally rocks after.

I have the blackout mod.

#45 4 years ago

My opinion only- I helped a friend install the mod in his STLE- and I did not find the difference to be a wow factor.

A better mod dollar for dollar, IMO, was the under the Vengeance explosion mod we installed.

#46 4 years ago
Quoted from BobC:

BTW, wouldn't just swapping a green laser for the rad increase visibility due to the nature of light colors, eyes, and lasers?

Yes I think that is the issue... Also green stands out better on the playfield. I can't see any other reason because the green laser I installed look a million times better than the factory red.image_(resized).jpeg

#47 4 years ago

That pic was before I put the front back on which cut down on the length of the stars but not the brightness

#48 4 years ago

IMO, the green laser is MUCH better than the factory red one. I also have the black out mod , set to partial blackout.
It looks great !

#49 4 years ago

lasers are pretty cheap on ebay

we might be able to do a straight swap out to a green one for very little $ with some improvement

2 months later
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 26.95
$ 50.00
There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside