Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by northvibe
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Starring at laser.jpg
animation-lazer.gif

#2 5 years ago

That looks like it would work, it's low power and cheap. Good find.

#3 5 years ago

Wouldn't you rather order something like this from Amazon? It sure would make a return much easier and possible than ordering (and waiting) from China. I saw blue lasers on Amazon that were similar.

#4 5 years ago

I was more referring to the style of laser not the place to order. And yes let's see where the best deal is we just need to know if that laser is 12 or 5 v

#5 5 years ago

Be careful messing with blue colored lasers because they can be very harmful to your eyes. From what I read there is a MPE (Maximum Permissible Exposure) and the blue wavelength can be very damaging to your retina and optic nerves overtime. A class 4 blue laser could cause instant blindness or serious retinal tissue damage.

#6 5 years ago

If pointed in your eye

#7 5 years ago

Could be caused by direct or reflected light.

#8 5 years ago

Yes into your eye.

#9 5 years ago

I'll just wear my BluBlocker sunglasses for protection during installation and game play. (Anyone else remember these commercials?)

http://www.blublocker.com

#10 5 years ago

"Photochemical damage occurs mostly with short-wavelength (blue and ultra-violet) light and can be accumulated over the course of hours. Laser pulses shorter than about 1 μs can cause a rapid rise in temperature, resulting in explosive boiling of water."

#11 5 years ago

I would love a blue laser but I would rather be safe than sorry.

#12 5 years ago

Like if it bounces off the shiny ball you are watching roll across the playfield. Yes it could shine into your eye, even if you don't intend it to.

#13 5 years ago

20mW (Class IIIB) is dangerously bright for a laser that you're going to shine on a pinball table, which is noted for, amongst other things, having a f!@#$ing shiny ball on it. Class IIIB is defined as 'reflections off of shiny things can do eye damage'.

Don't go higher than IIIA, (which I think for 405nm is around 5mW?).

In general Blue (GaN) laser beams will look really dim in comparison to other colours for a given wattage. This is due to the response curves of your eye, but has nothing to do with laser safety: the damage don't care that you can't see the laser. This is why laser pointers are generally not blue: getting them bright enough to see generally makes them unsafe. Furthermore, chinese lasers are renowned for not being made to spec---our lab had several blue and green laser diodes confiscated by Australian customs for being too bright and therefore 'weapons'. You probably don't have access to an optical power meter, so err on the side of 'too dim'.

Don't put your eyes out, folks. Note that the damage you do a) might not be immediately apparent and b) won't hurt except in usual circumstances.

(I'm a physicist that works with GaN laser diodes on a daily basis.)

Post edited by Excalabur : grammar

#14 5 years ago

Also, yes, 405nm light is close enough to UV that there are concerns about long-term health effects on the lens and cornea.

#15 5 years ago

But red is ok if it shines off a ball into your eyes?

#16 5 years ago

Any light can be harmful if bright enough: see, say, the sun.

But a red or especially green laser will seem brighter for a given amount of optical power, and the optical power is what's dangerous. 1mW of green (632nm) looks brighter to the eye than 10mW of blue (405nm), for instance, but is still a class II laser, and therefore safe. (Class II is defined as 'it would take you time and effort to hurt yourself with this'. ) In fact, reds and greens are safer per unit power than blues, since you blink faster when the light is too bright.

Unfortunately, no laser will look much like a star on a starry night, since getting white from a laser is difficult.

#17 5 years ago

Thanks for making the clear Excalabur!! Always glad to have physicist check in and keep us layman in check I would love to have a blue laser mod but knew that the blue light was a dangerous wave length for our eyes, and did not want others to inadvertently harm themselves or others.

I found the below quote regarding blue lasers and confirms what Excalabur has stated.

"Direct eye contact with the beam or reflected will cause instant permanent damage and blindness. Sometimes blindness may take a day or longer for the onset. Unlike instant injury from a bright flash of a red or green laser, this effect is cumulative over 24 hours. It is also possible that such an exposure could cause retinal degeneration and even loss of vision later in life."

I definitely want to mod this game when I get it but, I won't be trying anything with blue lasers unless someone can confirm their safety

#18 5 years ago

The class numbers on lasers are pretty simple:
II/2 is "safe, as long as you don't try to hurt yourself"
IIIA/3R is "don't shoot it in your eye"
IIIB/3M is "don't shoot it at shiny things"
IV/4 is hella-not-safe. IV is anything that could do eye damage reflected off non-shiny objects, that could damage your skin, or anything more scary than that. I have friends with lasers that weld together thick steel plates. I've put holes in the walls of a lab myself...

(They recently re-did the scale, to little effect. Sigh. "Old style" codes are roman numerals, the new ones are arabic.)

In addition, there are some concerns about exposure to various colours of light near the short end of the visibile spectrum(violet) on an continual basis, but I haven't seen the most recent medical studies on that. I believe that the exposure levels have to be pretty high (sunlight-levels) to be a concern.

#19 5 years ago

How does the division of the beam into x beamlets factor in to the calculation of power/danger?
Or reflection off a spherical surface?

#20 5 years ago

In the back of the manual it says.
The laser emits radiation in accordance with Class 2M. With the playfield glass in place, the laser emits radiation consistent with a Class 1 laser. The laser should never be operated with the playfield glass removed from the machine.
Laser class 1
Laser wavelength = 650nm
Laser power output = 390uw

#21 5 years ago

alveolus: in the obvious way. "Danger" is proportional to power, more or less. The reflection off a pinball is less dangerous than off a flat surface, but more likely to go in your eye since it's being diffused.

Quoted from SaminVA:

Laser power output = 390uw

The laser posted at the top of this thread was 20mW, or about 50 times more powerful than the one in the game (1mW = 1000µW, for the americans in the crowd ).

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from Excalabur:

alveolus: in the obvious way. "Danger" is proportional to power, more or less. The reflection off a pinball is less dangerous than off a flat surface, but more likely to go in your eye since it's being diffused.

The laser posted at the top of this thread was 20mW, or about 50 times more powerful than the one in the game (1mW = 1000µW, for the americans in the crowd ).

WOa! Gotta find something new

#23 5 years ago

animation-lazer.gif

Oops sorry about that. I hope your eye's are OK?

#24 5 years ago

So much for the idea of a blue laser replacement.

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from bcfast:

I would love a blue laser but I would rather be safe than sorry.

What? You wouldn't go blind for pinball??? The shame!

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from wdpvideo:

Oops sorry about that. I hope your eye's are OK?

After starring at it for five minutes my eyes are fine.

Starring at laser.jpg
#27 5 years ago
Quoted from Excalabur:

20mW (Class IIIB) is dangerously bright for a laser that you're going to shine on a pinball table, which is noted for, amongst other things, having a f!@#$ing shiny ball on it. Class IIIB is defined as 'reflections off of shiny things can do eye damage'.
Don't go higher than IIIA, (which I think for 405nm is around 5mW?).
In general Blue (GaN) laser beams will look really dim in comparison to other colours for a given wattage. This is due to the response curves of your eye, but has nothing to do with laser safety: the damage don't care that you can't see the laser. This is why laser pointers are generally not blue: getting them bright enough to see generally makes them unsafe. Furthermore, chinese lasers are renowned for not being made to spec---our lab had several blue and green laser diodes confiscated by Australian customs for being too bright and therefore 'weapons'. You probably don't have access to an optical power meter, so err on the side of 'too dim'.
Don't put your eyes out, folks. Note that the damage you do a) might not be immediately apparent and b) won't hurt except in usual circumstances.
(I'm a physicist that works with GaN laser diodes on a daily basis.)
Post edited by Excalabur : grammar

Thank god you're here Excalibur. With the pinsiders insatiable appetite to mod absolutely everything possible on a pinball machine this could have gone terribly wrong if you were not here to set things straight.

Guys, leave it to the professionals when it comes to messing around with frickin lasers and whatever you do don't stick any of them in the backbox!

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from Kevin_LHeureux:

Thank god you're here Excalibur. With the pinsiders insatiable appetite to mod absolutely everything possible on a pinball machine this could have gone terribly wrong if you were not here to set things straight.
Guys, leave it to the professionals when it comes to messing around with frickin lasers and whatever you do don't stick any of them in the backbox!

It reminds me of the sad story a couple years ago where a bunch of people had their eyesight permanently damaged at a Russian rave show. The laser stands malfunctioned and they started pointing down directly into the crowd. A lot of kids will be trying to see around black spots in their eyes for the rest of their lives.

Personally I don't think any even slightly high-powered lasers should be sold to the public. There's always some dumb sh*t that thinks it's funny to point it into somebody's eyes

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from Excalabur:

---our lab had several blue and green laser diodes confiscated by Australian customs for being too bright and therefore 'weapons'.

That part reminded me of a industrial computer that we had sent out for repair that was held up in US customs due to some agent there claiming that since it had a cd drive in it and hence a laser it could be used for guided missiles. Kid you not...eventually it was released when someone came to their senses...

#30 5 years ago

#31 5 years ago

I think you could run the blue laser with less current and perhaps drive the mW down to a manageable level. However, as peps have said; it's hard to risk your eyesight for the pretties.

1 week later
#32 5 years ago

Zitt: Sure, you could. Or you could just buy a laser specced correctly and not have any way to fuck things up. Laser diodes are available at all kinds of power levels.

That said, safe levels of 405nm is pretty dim to the eye. This is not a good wavelength for doing pretty things with.

LongJohns: In Oz any laser pointer more than 1mW is a 'classified weapon'. They have really restrictive laws here on items so designated unless you have some reason to own them (which of course we do in this case).

#33 5 years ago

You'll "burn" your eye out kid.

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

You'll "burn" your eye out kid.

I wanna Blue Rider Laser for my Star Trek Pinball, Santa!

#35 5 years ago

1mW comes in
green
purple
red
blue
In different nm of course. Pens in those types are easily purchased from amazon.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
$ 86.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Machine - For Sale
Charleston, SC

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside