You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

photo 1.JPG
photo 5.JPG
photo 4.JPG
#1 10 years ago

I have seen posts where rod is out of alignment but that doesn't seem to be my issue

It appears the kickback is too quick and hits before the ball gets to it.

Almost as if the software is off a little so ball rolls over switch and kickback fires too soon? Sometimes not even close in timing???

Anyone else???

#2 10 years ago

Update on this is I roll the ball down the lane perfectly and it works great...But it is not realistic in game play for it to roll down the lane quickly and perfectly...LOL

#3 10 years ago

I believe there is a setting in the adjustments (or feature adjustments) that allows you to adjust the timing. Haven't played with it myself, but remember seeing a setting like this. Also make sure your pitch is good (6.5-6.6 deg ). STLE us one of those games that doesn't need it's butt raised into the heavens.

#4 10 years ago

Can't find timing but found power settings for coil and left eject??? Is it left eject?

I think the rollover switch is too far away from the kickback mech. Thinking of moving the switch back 1/4 of an inch?

Any thoughts on this? Someone else has to be having these issues???

#5 10 years ago

When I was playing Robert's last night I had a ball fly past the kickback and drain, definitely frustrating. It happened so fast that I couldn't tell if it fired too early like you said, or if it just never fired at all.

If nothing else would love to see a ball save ala MB's phantom flip where if it misses for any reason you at least get your ball back.

#6 10 years ago

Just fixed it.

As I stated previously switch was activating before ball got to plunger.

Took the 2 screws out holding switch and moved it 1/4 inch closer to plunger. Edge of switch is almost touching inner part of pf. Only used 1 screw to put switch back up. Think Stern may change software as this is an issue so figured one screw tight would do for temp fix.

Wow what a difference!!! It's now as good as any other game I have with kickback...Maybe better...LOL

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from sepins:

Just fixed it.
As I stated previously switch was activating before ball got to plunger.
Took the 2 screws out holding switch and moved it 1/4 inch closer to plunger. Edge of switch is almost touching inner part of pf. Only used 1 screw to put switch back up. Think Stern may change software as this is an issue so figured one screw tight would do for temp fix.
Wow what a difference!!! It's now as good as any other game I have with kickback...Maybe better...LOL

On games with these kickbacks I usually have to adjust the rollover after a teardown, you are on the right track.
Put the screw back in and tweak the switch arm.
These are just assembled at the factory and these little tweaks are up to the owner/operator.

#8 10 years ago

I had a thread on this, and ST is the only game out there that uses a rounded actuator for a kickback. Should've used a triangle style like in the shooter lane. It's impossible to make this work for both slow and fast balls in the outlane.

#9 10 years ago

Mine now works on slow and fast balls.

Took glass off and purposely let ball get hung up on rubber on top of lane for an ultra slow attack. No problem

Manually threw ball down lane hard and no problem.

Have played 10 games and kicked back perfectly every time no matter what speed it went down lane.

I think Stern put switch too far away from kicker and this was an easy fix once I watched what was happening.

Your kickback issue may be different than mine if You have an issue.

Not putting screw back in for now as that PF is so tight I don't want to risk scratching anything...And if it ain't broke don't fix it!!!

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from sepins:

Mine now works on slow and fast balls.
Took glass off and purposely let ball get hung up on rubber on top of lane for an ultra slow attack. No problem
Manually threw ball down lane hard and no problem.
Have played 10 games and kicked back perfectly every time no matter what speed it went down lane.
I think Stern put switch too far away from kicker and this was an easy fix once I watched what was happening.
Your kickback issue may be different than mine if You have an issue.
Not putting screw back in for now as that PF is so tight I don't want to risk scratching anything...And if it ain't broke don't fix it!!!

That's good to hear. I'll try moving it down.

#11 10 years ago

The kicker is not aligned properly out of the box
Adjust it in test mode and will be super sharp

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from rvdv:

The kicker is not aligned properly out of the box
Adjust it in test mode and will be super sharp

Mine definitely not an alignment issue. Now have 20 games on it and kicks out great every time.

New rollover that Stern is using is causing "premature firing" of the coil.

That 1/4 inch changed everything. Alignment doesn't matter if coil is firing before ball gets to plunger...just a basic observation...LOL

1 week later
#13 10 years ago
Quoted from sepins:

I was doing other work on my playfield today and thought I'd take a look at moving the kickback sensor (outlane sensor). I didn't do anything because I wasn't exactly clear on what you did here and wanted to take pics and ask for confirmation. (Sorry the one picture is a bit out of focus.)

So, is this what you did?

1. Unscrewed the two red screws holding in the outlane/kickback sensor switch

2. Moved the switch toward the kickback coil

3. Screwed back in just ONE red screw to hold it in place

If so, how do you deal with the fact that, at least on mine, it looks like the front edge of the outlane switch "wire" (that the ball rolls over) will probably hit the end of the channel?

Thanks!

photo 4.JPGphoto 4.JPG photo 5.JPGphoto 5.JPG photo 1.JPGphoto 1.JPG
#14 10 years ago

I just took the switch off and bent the part of the switch that sticks up above the playfield so that it is activated later (closer to the kickback), using some long-nose pliers. I had to play around with it a little to get it right and keep it from catching on the edge of the slot in the playfield. Once I got it right, it works virtually every time now.

#15 10 years ago

I just thought I would toss my 2 cents in here. My buddy bought a STLE this past friday. We played it that night for a while before calling it a night and doing all the tweaks Saturday.

The kickback was working perfectly Friday night on the 1.3 software.

After updating to 1.4 Saturday evening it started acting like you describe above where the timing seems to be not quite right, sometimes it would miss the ball entirely, others it would just barely get it and slow-motion lob it back out. The patch notes even mention adjustments to the kick-back.

Maybe they will re-fix it in another update?

#16 10 years ago

Check the comment on http://www.pinballnews.com/games/startrek/index4.html

A fix is coming.

10 months later
#17 9 years ago
Quoted from dphelps:

I just took the switch off and bent the part of the switch that sticks up above the playfield so that it is activated later (closer to the kickback), using some long-nose pliers. I had to play around with it a little to get it right and keep it from catching on the edge of the slot in the playfield. Once I got it right, it works virtually every time now.

Dragging up this thread to document my fix for balls being missed sporadically and a more common lazy / weak return.

I found no need to try to reposition, but like dphelps, bending the switch directly over the actuator w pliers to form a slight arc activates the switch a micro second later than before - solving my issues.

Rod

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

5,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monument, CO
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

13,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stle-kickback-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.