(Topic ID: 132246)

STLE is a top 5 pin. I know because I know because I know.

By Nikonokin

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2015-07-05_14.30.41.jpg
image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tok.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#40 8 years ago

I don't even like Star Trek (in fact, I'd actively avoid it), but loved this machine enough to spring for a Pro... I don't know if the LE is top 5 material, but I'd have no problems with it in the top 10.

#98 8 years ago
Quoted from Hudson:

I completely disagree. Whenever I have visitors (some that may have never played pinball or others that played long ago) that play my Star Trek, they have no idea the need to hit the "Away Team" or "Mission Start" to continue in the game. They just stay stuck in that mode till they drain. When I explain it to them, most of the noob players will drain before making either shot.
In comparison, when playing Metallica, you are always advancing to other modes just by keeping the ball in play.

I understand this! One thing about ST is that you feel like you're almost always against a timer. Metallica has some of that, but not nearly as much. I love them both, but ST requires more from the player to really make something cool happen.

You can tell a first timer to just keep bashing Sparky and there's a pretty good chance they'll get a payoff from it. I have both games and love them for different reasons!

#106 8 years ago
Quoted from PinChili:

When you have to debate whether a game is top X ... it isn't.

There's always a debate... There are threads saying Medieval Madness and Twilight Zone don't belong there either. You seem like you have an axe to grind. Star Trek didn't make Avengers a stinker, Stern did.

1 week later
#160 8 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

I will second the A B C D F scale. In it's attempt to be meticulously fair, the current rating system loses me. I find myself knowing that I like one game over the other but rate them pretty evenly when I go through the system. The simpler and admittedly more subjective letter system lets me express that feeling for consistently.
I would be in favor of a new system, or at least an alternative scale. Kind of like AP vs coaches vs ESPN poll for NCAA.

The scale system isn't really the problem though... There are people here that will give a game a 0-2 rating probably without playing it just because they don't like the theme, or leave some dumb-shit comment about walking away after the first ball. You don't even have a hint about how good a modern game is without putting an hour or two into it to see some of what it offers.

Regardless of the system, ratings become useless when they lose objectivity. The only ones that get a balance back are the ones that have a lot of ratings to balance out the nonsense.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 24.95
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
13,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 27.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tok.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stle-is-a-top-5-pin-i-know-because-i-know-because-i-know?tu=tok and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.