(Topic ID: 132246)

STLE is a top 5 pin. I know because I know because I know.

By Nikonokin

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 165 posts
  • 64 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by QuarterGrabber
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

2015-07-05_14.30.41.jpg
image.jpg

There are 165 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 4 years ago

STLE is an underdog. Flow, excitement, sex appeal...it has it all. My friends always return to STLE. Haters gotta hate. Give it time. Top 5 pin IMO. The rewards and interaction in this game are so nice...so satisfying. A pin to get lost in...

#2 4 years ago

Great...if you like it that's all that matters, but even Street Fighter II has it's fans.

#3 4 years ago

STLE is not even top 40 IMO.

#4 4 years ago

Yes you're right, maybe I'm shouting it for no reason. I just played for an hour and am just floored that of all the pins I've played, it still get's my heart pounding. Feel free to delete. It's just so damn good.

#5 4 years ago

I feel the same about Avengers, lol, but I don't know how many people would agree with me that it's a great game.

#6 4 years ago

Well,ST/LE is no.16 thats sixteen,in the top 100,so no one understands your comment,pinchili???

#7 4 years ago

I think you can argue it's a top 10 pin...top 5 might be a stretch.

But I'm with you - it's one of the best!

#8 4 years ago

Why can't games just be great without having to be crowned with some ranking? It's a very fun game.

#9 4 years ago

STLE is amazing IMO

#10 4 years ago

Top 10 it is. That's a fair evaluation!

#11 4 years ago

"Why can't games just be great without having to be crowned with some ranking? It's a very fun game."

Ummm....because this is 'Merica! Happy 4th friends. You're right. It doesn't matter.

But it's an underdog....IMO!!!

#12 4 years ago

I:M with you,MarcG exactly!!!!

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from MarcG:

Why can't games just be great without having to be crowned with some ranking? It's a very fun game.

I'd guess that it could help potential buyers find the best game for them. So ranking them helps people.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

Well,ST/LE is no.16 thats sixteen,in the top 100,so no one understands your comment,pinchili???

Well, first, 16 would mean it's not top 10 much less top 5, right?

I'll say the controversial thing (as usual) and the rankings on Pinside are all but meaningless. They are more F'd up than ever. To see ST next to CV (in fact, a spot AHEAD of it) is just ridiculous IMO. Of the 400 ST rankings I'll bet the overwhelming majority are from NIB owners and even before the code made it a half way decent game. I think they started getting corrupt several years ago as people saw the rankings reflect the values of the machines in their collections so naturally they would do everything they could to boost ratings of their games.

I'm in the boat that the "rankings" should be deleted altogether or completely revamped. A whole new thread of ideas on how to revamp ratings (I prefer the term "ratings" over "rankings" all day) would be good.

#15 4 years ago

I think if your serious about owning a pin,you better spend some time playing it !! I played ST/LE at PAGG last year,and had to buy it!

#16 4 years ago

It is a top 10 game for sure !

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from PinChili:

STLE is not even top 40 IMO.

#18 4 years ago

16 beats 40

#19 4 years ago

"IMO" means it is "my opinion" and as I noted, given the only 400 or so votes, I'm confident the majority came from NIB purchasers even before code made it half way decent so the ranking is just skewed.

#20 4 years ago

OK,its kool,peace!!

#21 4 years ago

It's in my top 10, course I only have 9....good pin at any rate.

#22 4 years ago

ST is a fun game, like raven is a fun game for others.
it comes down to this, those who have one will say yes i agree, those who don't will say no.

personally, i think a few in the top 10 don't belong there.

#23 4 years ago

I'd say top10-ish

#24 4 years ago

Stop creating buzz so you can dump it on some poor sap

#25 4 years ago

Guess Quartergrabber objects to me just owning one....

#26 4 years ago

I fully agree, and have been saying for a while now, STLE is a great game. Will probably be the last machine to leave my collection.

#27 4 years ago

One of the best for sure,top 10 imho

#28 4 years ago

As a bonus, it's extra cabinet features are better than all other LEs.

#29 4 years ago

Black Knight is a top 10 pin to me.To each his own.

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from Nikonokin:

"Why can't games just be great without having to be crowned with some ranking? It's a very fun game."
Ummm....because this is 'Merica! Happy 4th friends. You're right. It doesn't matter.
But it's an underdog....IMO!!!

Stle is awesome. In the top 20? Yes. In the top ten? Probably not.

'MERICA!!!!

#31 4 years ago

Do you think only STLE deserves the top 5 status?
It doesn't seem like game play varies between the LE and Pro. Is it the lighting that makes it a great pin?

#32 4 years ago

It's a combo of the entire LE package. Cabinet lights, apron lights, leds, enterprise BG... Steve Ritchie wanted the LE to be more than just trim.

#33 4 years ago

STLE is my favorite as well .. The only thing holding it back IMO is the Captain's Chair shenanigans. Wish it were a wizard mode as intended. There's still time to address this with a code update - you can still keep the 3-in-a-row bonuses, just don't call that the Captain's Chair, and make CC a wizard mode of some sort.

#34 4 years ago

Great game. Too shallow to be top 5. IMO.

#35 4 years ago

I've never played an LE, but I love the Pro. Wife does too. It'll probably end up being our next pin.

Too shallow??

#36 4 years ago

Star Trek LE is in my top 10. I love it!

#37 4 years ago

Hopefully, will get some more code updates as it's still on sale and could still sell more copies ((premium and pro)).

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from PinChili:

Well, first, 16 would mean it's not top 10 much less top 5, right?
I'll say the controversial thing (as usual) and the rankings on Pinside are all but meaningless. They are more F'd up than ever. To see ST next to CV (in fact, a spot AHEAD of it) is just ridiculous IMO. Of the 400 ST rankings I'll bet the overwhelming majority are from NIB owners and even before the code made it a half way decent game. I think they started getting corrupt several years ago as people saw the rankings reflect the values of the machines in their collections so naturally they would do everything they could to boost ratings of their games.
I'm in the boat that the "rankings" should be deleted altogether or completely revamped. A whole new thread of ideas on how to revamp ratings (I prefer the term "ratings" over "rankings" all day) would be good.

Comb--comb--combo breaker! Your logic is flawed. Law of averages always plays out and since ST has been out nearly 2 years, it's average is settling in quite right as with most pins. The other thing you forget to adhere to is a good amount of those ST ratings were given by previous owners who just couldn't wait out ST's next level update. And for that, they are determined to never give the pin a chance nor update their ranking accordingly (queue in quarter grabbers thypical thumbs down for even mentioning the letters S & T).

#39 4 years ago

This shows what a class act that Quartergrabber is, he down votes everything about ST even the hope that it might get more code updates. Why do you down vote that?

image.jpg

#40 4 years ago

I don't even like Star Trek (in fact, I'd actively avoid it), but loved this machine enough to spring for a Pro... I don't know if the LE is top 5 material, but I'd have no problems with it in the top 10.

#41 4 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

Great game. Too shallow to be top 5. IMO.

Quoted from gcp:

I've never played an LE, but I love the Pro. Wife does too. It'll probably end up being our next pin.
Too shallow??

ST is an easy approachable machine for any level of player. But it's a very hard game to see how deep it can be. There are so many strategies and ways to tackle the pin. I do agree and have spoken to Dwight Sullivan on the subject, to qualify enterprise amok separately from lighting all level 2 missions; I recommended it he qualified by going 3 deep in 3 missions; that way there's a little extra breadth for achieving wizard modes.

#42 4 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Comb--comb--combo breaker! Your logic is flawed. Law of averages always plays out and since ST has been out nearly 2 years, it's average is settling in quite right as with most pins. The other thing you forget to adhere to is a good amount of those ST ratings were given by previous owners who just couldn't wait out ST's next level update. And for that, they are determined to never give the pin a chance nor update their ranking accordingly (queue in quarter grabbers thypical thumbs down for even mentioning the letters S & T).

Plus to think that only the STLE owners are over rating the game (not Met owners or CV owners etc..) is ludicrous, all owners of MM or TZ or TAF or CV or TOTAN could over vote them the same, and if you look at my ratings I own STLE and 2-3 have pins rated higher, and I've only voted for pins that I've owned.

#43 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

This shows what a class act that Quartergrabber is, he down votes everything about ST even the hope that it might get more code updates. Why do you down vote that?
image.jpg

I don't know why people get so bent out of shape about thumbs downs. All it means is I disagree. ST is a top 10 game, I disagree. Top 40 maybe. ST is the best game ever made, I disagree, there are lots better. Ect... I actually like the layout and shots of ST and if the code was better it could have been a top 10 game. The code is what holds this game back for me. So monotonous and boring. If you played the first mode you played all 18 of them, shoot lit shot I do like ST but in small doses. It makes a great location game or a game in my buddies collection but because of it monontony I won't have it in my small collection.

Now I do agree ST likely needs a polish update but I don't like the entitled attitude of ST owners thinking they should get a polish update before older games like Xmen or Avengers. That's why I disagreed with your post about the update. But reflecting on it I guess you didn't say you wanted it first, just that you wanted it. So I guess it was out of place for that post, I will remove it for that particular post.

#44 4 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

I don't know why people get so bent out of shape about thumbs downs. All it means is I disagree. ST is a top 10'game, I disagree. Top 40 maybe. ST is the best game ever made, I disagree, there are lots better. Ect... I actually like the layout and shots of ST and if the code was better it could have been a top 10 game. The code is what holds this game back for me. So monotonous and boring. If you played the first mode you played all 18 of them, shoot lit shot I do like ST but in small doses. It makes a great location game or a game in my buddies collection but because of it monontony I won't have it in my small collection.
Now I do agree ST likely needs a polish update but I don't like the entitled attitude of ST owners thinking they should get a polish update before older games like Xmen or Avengers. That's why I disagreed with your post about the update. But reflecting on it I guess you didn't say you wanted it first, just that you wanted it. So I guess it was out of place for that post, I will remove it for that post.

Thanks, I accept that.

I actually don't think STLE is top5 but I do think it's top10-20, especially as I like the asthetics on the LE such as lighted side armor and full color changing inserts and laser star field if you value lighting effects like I do put it higher than many older pins in the lighting category than such games like TZ or IJ which I think are fantastic games but not as Nice in the lighting as STLE or premium.

The voting is broken down into many aspects including lighting and I'd put STLE as top pin to date in that area.

#45 4 years ago

STLE is one of the weakest LEs to date. Pro is the way to go.

Just a mediocre game that borrowed way too much and isn't nearly as good as SM layout wise.

If you didn't change a thing about ST and put the Sega brand on it, it wouldn't crack the top100.

#46 4 years ago

I don't think it's productive to argue about who likes what. I don't like country music, but some people love it. Different strokes for different folks.

#47 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I don't think it's productive to argue about who likes what. I don't like country music, but some people love it. Different strokes for different folks.

You and QuarterGrabber are actually two peas in a pod. How dare someone say they don't care for a game you own. For you apparently is ST and him it's TWD.

What isn't productive is to say that any game is top5, top10, best of all time when the game is still so new it's still in production.

I love Metallica and feel it is Stern's best game to date. However it is still new to me and new to everyone with its current code. Who knows how I (or anyone else) will like it in 10 years?

Threads like these and statements like "game I just bought NIB is bolted to the floor and will never leave!" are horseshit.

#48 4 years ago
Quoted from PinChili:

To see ST next to CV (in fact, a spot AHEAD of it) is just ridiculous IMO.

Everyone of course has a right to their own opinion, but I respectfully disagree. I don't own CV, but I've played it a fair amount. I do own TOTAN, and I'd give up TOTAN before I'd give up STLE. But that's just me.

I think STLE is a fantastic game. Not sure it's top 5, but it's definitely top 10 or 20.

#49 4 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

The code is what holds this game back for me. So monotonous and boring. If you played the first mode you played all 18 of them, shoot lit shot I do like ST but in small doses. It makes a great location game or a game in my buddies collection but because of it monontony I won't have it in my small collection.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

Imho, SM is so much better overall. Great light show on ST but that's it. Sorry, the flow isn't that great and the warp shot is meh.

Maybe if they hadn't screwed up the engineering on the LE/premium originally?

#50 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Imho, SM is so much better overall. Great light show on ST but that's it. Sorry, the flow isn't that great and the warp shot is meh.
Maybe if they hadn't screwed up the engineering on the LE/premium originally?

hah flow isn't great and warp ramp meh? I respect people's opinions that don't like it but you may be the only person in the universe that doesn't recognize its great flow.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
There are 165 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside