(Topic ID: 71871)

STLE: Has anyone figured out how to light up speakers?

By pinlawyer

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by blimpey
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-168.jpg
image-492.jpg
image-704.jpg
image-602.jpg
image-153.jpg
speakers 002.JPG
speakers 001.JPG
STLEspeakerLED 005.JPG
STLEspeakerMOD 007.JPG
STLEspeakerLEDs 017.JPG
STLEspeakerLEDs 013.JPG
STLEspeakerLEDs 003.JPG
image-994.jpg
image-327.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider SaminVA.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from Cobra:

The two lights by the side emblems on the head are on always. I was thinking of just getting two more sockets and bulbs, the same ones that the emblems use, and tie them into those two with alligator clips. Then just mount the socket where the flashers are by the speakers.

That sounds like a good solution but what I want to know it why the one on the Stern factory tour had lights and ours doesn't?

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from Cobra:

There are lights there but they are flashers. I have never seen them come on either because they don't or I am looking at the playfield.

I put it in flasher test mode and the speaker flashers flash but you can hardly see them. For the most part they are useless.

1 month later
#14 10 years ago

Here's my solution to the Star Trek LE lighted speaker. With the latest code update we now know the speaker flashers are also being used as controlled lighting to illuminate the speakers. So far they only light up during the attract mode and turn on and off. I haven't seen them flash yet but they will flash in flasher test mode. The problem is they are not very bright do to the way the speaker is mounted and the only way light can get in is though the thin blue plexi sandwiched between the speaker panel and the grill. Putting spacers between the speaker and the grill should let more light in but I decided to add a blue LED light strip between the speaker and the grill. This meant making a bracket to hold the LED light strip in place. I found a perfect size blue LED adhesive backed light strip on Ebay which uses 12 volts DC. I was first going to power it by tapping into the pins 12 volt power supply but with the newest code update we now know the speaker lights are program controlled so the only option left was to power the LED strips by tapping into the speaker flasher so they could also be controlled. Both LED strips would add 1/2 amp to the circuit so I looked at the driver transistor and it was rated at 40 amps so I figured adding an extra 1/2 amp would be no problem.
I first made a paper card stock template for the LED frame and once it was correct I transferred it onto a piece of aluminum sheet metal I got at Lowe's, cut it out and used a Harbor Freight bender to form the 3 sides.
I used 1/2"-6-32 threaded coupling nuts on the speaker panel studs as spacers and 1/4"-6-32 screws to mount the speaker and LED bracket. I then connected the power wires from the LED light strips to the flasher socket lugs and it looks and works great. Here's a video and some pictures of the speaker mod.

STLEspeakerLEDs 003.JPGSTLEspeakerLEDs 003.JPG
STLEspeakerLEDs 013.JPGSTLEspeakerLEDs 013.JPG
STLEspeakerLEDs 017.JPGSTLEspeakerLEDs 017.JPG
STLEspeakerMOD 007.JPGSTLEspeakerMOD 007.JPG
STLEspeakerLED 005.JPGSTLEspeakerLED 005.JPG

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

20v flasher circuits are just way too hot for this tape. It wouldn't be able to be a direct swap.

I could be wrong but I don't think so because it works.
Well I am fairly new to LED's in pin's but I do know the Star Trek LE speaker flashers are #89 blue LED's which I believe are 13 volt. This flasher appears to have 2 modes both controlled by the game code. Right now they are being used as solid blue LED's to light the speakers and are currently only used in attract mode and are turned on and off. They also are used as regular flashers but currently only flash in flasher test mode. I checked the voltage at the flasher socket wile the LED was on solid and I was only getting 6 volts. I put the game in flasher test and tried to get a voltage reading wile flashing the LED but it was so fast it was hard to get a true reading but it looked to be around 12 volts more or less. You can tell the #89 LED is brighter when flashing than it is when it's solid on. I checked the driver transistor and it can handle 40 amps and the 2 LED strips I added only adds 1/2 amp so I connected them to the flasher socket and it works great.
This is what I used.
ebay.com link: itm

Here's the 18" Harbor Freight Bending Brake
http://www.harborfreight.com/18-inch-bending-brake-39103.html

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 24.95
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

arcade-cabinets.com

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

13,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider SaminVA.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stle-has-anyone-figured-out-how-to-light-up-speakers?tu=SaminVA and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.