View topic image gallery

WP_001590.jpg
WP_001589.jpg

#1 10 years ago

Long story short

My buddy got his STLE,

We installed a the following mods.

- Pinbits Protectors
- MEZLE Light up Drop Target (then removed)
- MEZLE light up explosion plastic
- Cliffy Protectors
- Light up Flipper Button kit

At first it was hard to tell when, but I think last night when we were playing after replacing a bad opto, I think we narrowed it down to when the shaker goes off, the flippers jitter for a brief millisecond, usually not enough to effect gameplay and I don't think it happens all the time.

Now I did also notice when we were originally troubleshooting the opto error 2 weeks ago that occasionally we would see EOS errors for the flippers, then it would disappear.

Any ideas? We checked the spacing of the flipper buttons and it "looks" ok (not 100% sure though)

#2 10 years ago

That sounds like the metal prongs of the flipper leaf switch. Play with it gently in switch test. It may be the third smaller prong causing the contact on vibration, not the two longer ones.

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

That sounds like the metal prongs of the flipper leaf switch. Play with it gently in switch test. It may be the third smaller prong causing the contact on vibration, not the two longer ones.

I was thinking something with the switch, and did look. I wasn't 100% sure which one I was looking for (i.e. third smaller prong). I will look again the next time I am over there with the machine.

#4 10 years ago

I have experienced the same jitter issue with my ST Pro, except I haven't seen any EOS errors come up.

In my case, I spoke with Patrick at Stern, and they are sending me an alternate wire harness to isolate the ground on the shaker motor (which they correctly assessed as being correlated to the jitter before I figured out the source). I was actually quite impressed with their quick response and diagnosis.

Curiously, I also have the Mezel explosion mod, and only noticed this after it was installed. However, I can't imagine a single flasher has anything to do with it (despite a certain amount of discomfort with its exposed alligator clips under the playfield).

#5 10 years ago

So I suggest checking the EOS gaps. If the flipper EOS switches were arching this might cause flipper flutter. When the CPU pulses the flipper to raise it, the hold power engages. As long as the flipper button and EOS switches are both engaged, hold power stays. If at anytime, EOS releases while flipper button is engaged, the CPU thinks the flipper bat has dropped and sends another high power pulse.

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from bammon:

I have experienced the same jitter issue with my ST Pro, except I haven't seen any EOS errors come up.
In my case, I spoke with Patrick at Stern, and they are sending me an alternate wire harness to isolate the ground on the shaker motor (which they correctly assessed as being correlated to the jitter before I figured out the source). I was actually quite impressed with their quick response and diagnosis.
Curiously, I also have the Mezel explosion mod, and only noticed this after it was installed. However, I can't imagine a single flasher has anything to do with it (despite a certain amount of discomfort with its exposed alligator clips under the playfield).

Sounds promising, will also check gaps as suggested.

#7 10 years ago

After installing the replacement harness, the jitter appears to be completely eliminated in my case.

1 year later
#8 8 years ago

Ok, so we may be finally getting around to replacing this "wiring harness"

Here are the pictures of it, not sure where it goes. Writing on the bag says part # 520-6934-00

WP_001589.jpgWP_001589.jpg

WP_001590.jpgWP_001590.jpg

#9 8 years ago

I had flipper jitter . The shaker Motor goes off on almost every shot on Star Trek . My STERN shaker motor had a bad {Field } according to pinsider LTG . This would cause the motor to fail and not spin intermittently . I tested it when I noticed the flipper jitter in test mode and could see it was not spinning . I would give it a kick start with my hand and it would work . But I replaced it with a new one from CionTaker. Food for thought . Hope the STERN part solves your issue. Just thought I would bring to your attention my experience .

#10 8 years ago

Bump..

Going to be working on this tomorrow, anyone know what this replaces or where it goes? Any help appreciated.

#11 8 years ago

That's a filter board that plugs into the J3 slot on the motherboard, so it's an add-on rather than a replacement for an existing part. I think it has indicators for placement screened onto the board, but let me know if the alignment's not apparent and I'll post a pic if so.

Back when I installed mine, it helped with a lot of the flipper jitters, but turned out not to solve them entirely. After a lot of diagnosis, we determined that EMI/RF was getting into the system from the Vengeance magnet (and wreaking all sorts of havoc) -- happily, rerouting all the wiring near the opto boards to move them as far away as possible provided a solution. I still have a suspicion that the light-up explosion mod may have had some part in this (since this problem seems rare, and that mod is common to both our setups), but I was able to continue using it with that change.

#12 8 years ago

Ok, we'll try again. We were working on it this weekend, looking at a second issue with what appeared to be a flakey opto causing the drop target to act up, one that we replaced already. But after testing the drop target coil on its own with the playfield up, we noticed that the smaller coil that drops the drop target was randomly firing a second after the raise the drop target coil was fired. This seemed to be happening more often 1/2 the time when the PF was up, compared to about 1/6 or 1/8 times when the PF was down. Not sure if this was related to that issue or not, but here is a movie of what was happening.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
6,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lexington, SC
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com
Sound/Speakers
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 55.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Protection
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy
Protection
Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 27.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 49.99
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods
Backbox
4,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Winter Garden, FL
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boynton Beach, FL
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stle-flipper-jitter and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.