Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by PlayPin
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PlayPin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

I need some help to figure out what went wrong with my game. It has been working fine but recently noticed the right flipper got very weak after only a few plays. The coil gets very hot when playing the game but will cool down when not flipping. I am not holding the flipper up or anything either. I dont feel any mechanical friction moving the plunger by hand. I put a volt meter on each side of the coil power and got the same readings as the left side which has no problem or over heating? I think it was about 70VDC(same as left side). It meas. about 7 ohms across the coil which also matches the left side. I tested all flipper switch functions in the sw. test including E.O.S. and they look normal. Any ideas?

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Is it installed too close to the playfield? You should be able to pull it in and out from above and have it move about a 1/6th of an inch.

It moves very freely above or below and has proper clearance.

Quoted from Rob_G:

Double check the EOS to make sure it's adjusted correctly. If it's just barely 'opening/closing' when the flipper is energized then it will stress the coil and heat it up. This happened on my MET.
Rob

I really dont think its the EOS but I will recheck tonight.

Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Stern flippers will actually work 100% correctly even without the EOS. The flipper circuit applies the lower hold voltage a number of milliseconds after the flipper is energized, regardless of the state of the EOS.

That is interesting. I wonder what the function of the EOS switch does on Sterns? I noticed the upper right flipper does not even have one but both lowers do. How can you tell if its really going into low power hold mode?

1 week later
#11 9 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Double check the EOS to make sure it's adjusted correctly. If it's just barely 'opening/closing' when the flipper is energized then it will stress the coil and heat it up. This happened on my MET.
Rob

Its looking like my problem is probably the same as yours. The EOS appeared to be completely normal in switch test. However when I checked the switches with power to the coils I noticed the right flipper EOS would open occasionally by flipping the left flipper? I adjusted the EOS to close harder(right side) and no longer see the intermittent opens while flipping the left flipper. I think it has probably been doing this the whole time. The coil still gets hot after a few plays and is very weak but measures the same as the left coil(about 7ohms). I talked with Stern support and they are sending me a new right side coil. We are assuming the coil is now defective even though it has no friction or visible signs of damage.
If the improper adjustment of the right side EOS led to the coil failure there is still one thing I don't understand. If the coil was getting pulses of high voltage due to intermittent EOS opens(from improper EOS adjustment) then why didnt I ever see the right flipper flip when I was not expecting it?

#12 9 years ago

Tried the new coil last nite, no luck. Exact same problem. Looks like the problem must be on the I/O power board. I am guessing that the holding circuit is not pulsing the high power correctly for some reason so the coil gets hot. After researching this more I found out Stern uses 50VDC to both flip and hold the flipper up. The initial pulse is 40msec followed by a 1msec pulse every 12msec if the flipper button is held in. This pulsing allows them to use 50VDC to hold the flipper without generating heat in the coil. I think something with the power pulsing circuit has failed. It would take an oscilliscope to see all this though which I do not have.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

13,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

arcade-cabinets.com

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 24.95
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PlayPin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stle-flipper-coil-hot-weak-flipper?tu=PlayPin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.