(Topic ID: 114934)

STLE: Are prices going up or are sellers just dreaming?

By Nelly

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 89 posts
  • 39 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by pinstor12
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

images.jpg
There are 89 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

I have been on the hunt for a STLE for a few weeks now and it seems like the value has gone up on these. Not 2-3 months ago, people were selling these in the upper 5k to low 6k range, and now I cant find one for under 7k (granted they don't seem to be selling at these higher prices). Has the price rebounded on these or are sellers just being hopeful?

#2 9 years ago

I never saw them below 6k but a few at 6200.

I see lots for sale at higher prices but none are moving. I think with the announcement of WWE and lack of desire for it, lots of people decided that they were going to up the price on other LEs.

STLE will be at a similar price as XM AV etc... in a matter of time. 799 is WAY too many and even with hopefully finished code the LEs are saturated and premiums are also available.
Stern is STILL making premiums so supply is continuing to increase.

#3 9 years ago
Quoted from Nelly:

I have been on the hunt for a STLE for a few weeks now and it seems like the value has gone up on these. Not 2-3 months ago, people were selling these in the upper 5k to low 6k range, and now I cant find one for under 7k (granted they don't seem to be selling at these higher prices). Has the price rebounded on these or are sellers just being hopeful?

It's the way of most LEs. Preorders/initial adopters all jump in the boat. After the initial fun wears off people dump them, price tanks. A few months later the prices come back up when the code matures, people that really want the game look for it....

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from NJGecko:

It's the way of most LEs. Preorders/initial adopters all jump in the boat. After the initial fun wears off people dump them, price tanks. A few months later the prices come back up when the code matures, people that really want the game look for it....

you are neglecting to account for the new currnet standard on high end games dropping and the exceptionally high number of LEs with still unfinished code.

LOTS for sale but many of these sellers are just hopeful in their current prices. When the next new game comes out that they want then STLE prices will drop again.

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I never saw them below 6k but a few at 6200.

Here was a fully modded HUO that went for $5990. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-mintlike-new-huo-stle-bargain-price-1

#6 9 years ago

I think it will be a long wait to find one at that price. 6,200-6,300 should be doable.

#7 9 years ago

Just sold mine stock for $7000.

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

I think it will be a long wait to find one at that price. 6,200-6,300 should be doable.

And I'd be ok at those prices, but when I have people offering me HUO examples for $7300-$7600 it just seems crazy to me.

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from Nelly:

And I'd be ok at those prices, but when I have people offering me HUO examples for $7300-$7600 it just seems crazy to me.

It does seem a little crazy. Would you consider a Premium and upgrading to Aurich's translite? Personally, that is my favorite version.

#10 9 years ago

Well lets see, if my STLE sold four months ago for 7,000 that would be 7,000 Canadian, if I were to sell it today for 7,000 it would be 8,078 Canadian, so I guess the Canadian games are going up!

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

It does seem a little crazy. Would you consider a Premium and upgrading to Aurich's translite? Personally, that is my favorite version.

The Premium is the "LE" as far as Star Trek is concerned. Way fewer of them then 799. I love the trim color and with Aurich's translite I think it's overall the best looking version. I would buy one of those if you can't find an LE in the $6300 range.

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from Nelly:

It is completely crazy talk. Just sit tight as there is no rush and plenty out there.

Maybe put up a WTB for XXXX and see if anyone opts t contact you.
When the next good stern drops in a few months, when MMr starts shipping, and when TH starts shipping the high end guys will be making room and looking to sell for more reasonable prices. LOTS still sitting FS NIB and even more sitting unplayed HUO in these high end collections.

time is on your side and history shows that. No reason to get antsy and overpay for a game that will inevitably continue to fall in price.

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

The Premium is the "LE" as far as Star Trek is concerned. Way fewer of them then 799. I love the trim color and with Aurich's translite I think it's overall the best looking version. I would buy one of those if you can't find an LE in the $6300 range.

Agreed. Granted I am biased, but other than the LE siderails, the Aurich Premium is by far the nicest looking of the bunch. It will also most likely be the rarest (even excluding the "Aurich package"). The red trim is amazing. I would think you could find one in the $6k range. I've toyed with the idea of letting mine go (and I would need at least $6k to pull the trigger), but will most likely wait out the code and see what happens. It's definitely my best looking game and being a Trek fan, that counts in my book.

#14 9 years ago

I am not familiar with "Aurich" package. I will have to look into it.

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

That $5900 sale 3 months ago in your area was an exception. You should have jumped on it. One fire sale doesn't set the market price.

I disagree with whyisnow. There are not many STLE NIB pins for sale. STLE is not AVLE and won't follow the slide.

The price for HUO seems to be around $7K. Currently there is one FS on the pinside market in SC for $6900. Maybe you can talk him down to your price.

If you really want a STLE then you have to step up to the plate. Otherwise buy a pro or premium and trick it out.

#16 9 years ago

For what its worth I am selling a nib STLE PM me if your interested

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

While this is true, I would still trade my premium with Aurich's translight for an LE.

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

While this is true, I would still trade my premium with Aurich's translight for an LE.

Straight up trade that may be the way to go because the LE does have the extra lights (that don't do a whole lot) and the certificate and plaque. If a Premium is worth ~$6K how much would you add to "upgrade" to an LE?

Personally, I would be happy owning the version that looks the best and is also the rarest and save the $. If I was the OP I would consider contacting JediTurtle (Chris) and trying to work out a deal. Chris is a heck of a good guy and not too far away. -He may even give out some pointers on how to level a game properly as he is the "Best in the business" at that

#19 9 years ago

I think you are dreaming if you are trying to find an owner that will sell you at STLE for under 6K. Yes, there are those that just want out of the machine or the hobby, but those are the exceptions. I know what I paid for my game and there is no way I would sell it for that thou no matter how desperate I was to sell.

All this talk about the Premium being the nicest option is a bunch of garbage as well, it is good value yes, but sorry guys you are fooling yourselves if you think this is the nicest option you can get for ST. What you are getting is excellent value, a descent red tone color added with the Aurich's package, makes this a real nice option with the exact same game play.

But let's get real here, the STLE still has the mirrored backglass, animated backlit laser cut rails and side armour, brushed stainless steel panel, better artwork on the machine, illuminated ST emblems which make this game stand out from the Pro and Premium versions and many other pinball titles out there for that matter. Is it worth the extra cash? To some not, but there is no real comparison here on what is the best looking/featured machine for ST it is the STLE...

#20 9 years ago

I love watching the owners and non owners battle it out... price ALWAYS matters if you own it!

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

I love watching the owners and non owners battle it out... price ALWAYS matters if you own it!

Yes. I think this title has more price defenders than most. Probably because most owners already know it's not a "Keeper" and are waiting to see if there is some magical final update released that will keep this knife from falling any further. Yes, it's a better game then Xmen or Avengers but there are also a lot more of them out there and the Pro model offers 95% of the gameplay for thousands less.-A HUO Modded Pro just sold for $3750 locally. I was tempted but then remembered that there are 4 Star Trek's on location near me (Including an LE) that I can play whenever I want.

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from Nelly:

Here was a fully modded HUO that went for $5990

Deals can be found if you are willing to wait - however fire sales don't set the market. The market always will be what someone is willing to pay and what someone is willing to sell for. After a period of time, average the sales out and then you can argue market values. My STLE is loaded with extra's and I would not sell it for less than $7500 today. A year from now... more than likely less. Of course I have more into it than that - but this is a hobby and when you spend money on a hobby, odds are you wont get all of it back. The way I look at it is this - if I was to go down to the local bar and play a machine at a dollar a game, every game I play is a dollar I will not see again. If I have a game at home I might not be putting dollars directly into each game, however there is a depreciation value that should be considered for every game played. Less games more value - more games less value. Add a little bit for extras added, but not dollar for dollar. That to me is what sets the price for a pin. IMHO... of course what the hell do I know.

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from Asylum:

The way I look at it is this - if I was to go down to the local bar and play a machine at a dollar a game, every game I play is a dollar I will not see again.

It's a dollar you won't see again but it's also a dollar invested in keeping location pinball alive in this day and age. I like playing games at home, but I love supporting pinball on location (especially pinball where the Ops maintain and care for the games). I don't look at this as money lost at all and I actually find a lot more satisfaction when I do play well and put scores on the board since I am competing on neutral ground against the other talented players in my area.

#24 9 years ago

Market was set pretty clearly that 6500 is the TOP end on the title with extras as a few sold in that range over the past 6 months.

Last few I have seen sell were ASKING 6200 or 6300 for HUO low plays. That is just reality.

Sounds to me like that "fire sale at 5900" was more than likely a realistic owner that wanted out with no hassles. When they are selling for 6300, I don't put 5900 in "fire sale" category but maybe that is just me.

#25 9 years ago

Market adjustment.

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

It's a dollar you won't see again but it's also a dollar invested in keeping location pinball alive in this day and age.

Just to clarify - I still put lots of dollars in machines on location at my favorite hang outs!

#27 9 years ago

7k, seems about right to me. The game is new enough and clean enough if huo that it is basically like still buying it new and as such should be still worth a few hundred less than new. People saw price drops due to Twd and after that prices should and will hold pretty steady until the next must have comes out. It's only after some time that stle won't be a new modern pin before it declines. There are still plenty of people out there that want the game as they have not had it yet and the le version of the game is by far the best. Basically half of them shipped over seas so when others quote the 799 number its really more like 400 in the states. That's not a whole lot available.

#28 9 years ago

I sold mine a few months ago for 8K.

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Market was set pretty clearly that 6500 is the TOP end on the title with extras as a few sold in that range over the past 6 months.

True, however that was a few of the 799 out there - and we all should probably be more specific and say "Pinside Market".

Quoted from stretch2:

Market adjustment.

Well said... I think we see that a lot in the Pinside market.

In the end I stand by what I said - the market really is whatever someone is willing to pay and sell for. Which that in itself will always fluctuate somewhat.

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from pins4life33:

I think you are dreaming if you are trying to find an owner that will sell you at STLE for under 6K. Yes, there are those that just want out of the machine or the hobby, but those are the exceptions. I know what I paid for my game and there is no way I would sell it for that thou no matter how desperate I was to sell.
All this talk about the Premium being the nicest option is a bunch of garbage as well, it is good value yes, but sorry guys you are fooling yourselves if you think this is the nicest option you can get for ST. What you are getting is excellent value, a descent red tone color added with the Aurich's package, makes this a real nice option with the exact same game play.
But let's get real here, the STLE still has the mirrored backglass, animated backlit laser cut rails and side armour, brushed stainless steel panel, better artwork on the machine, illuminated ST emblems which make this game stand out from the Pro and Premium versions and many other pinball titles out there for that matter. Is it worth the extra cash? To some not, but let's there is no real comparison here on what is the best looking/featured machine for ST it is the STLE...

I agree, but if I owned the game I wouldn't want the images of the actors.

#31 9 years ago
Quoted from inhomearcades:

7k, seems about right to me. The game is new enough and clean enough if huo that it is basically like still buying it new and as such should be still worth a few hundred less than new. People saw price drops due to Twd and after that prices should and will hold pretty steady until the next must have comes out. It's only after some time that stle won't be a new modern pin before it declines. There are still plenty of people out there that want the game as they have not had it yet and the le version of the game is by far the best. Basically half of them shipped over seas so when others quote the 799 number its really more like 400 in the states. That's not a whole lot available.

7K sounds great if you own the game or if you're a seller If you're a buyer though I'd try to find one closer to $6K. They are out there if you're patient. Here's another one from a couple months back for $6400.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-stle-6400

Next to WOZ, STLE is the highest produced LE out there so there is no shortage of games. STLE has only been out about a year so many people are still in the honeymoon phase. As newer games are released that honeymoon and will end and prices will drop even further. I'd expect it to settle in around $6K when all is said in done. It's a solid game but without Lyman's involvement on code it's destined to be a middle of the pack Stern game. A final code update isn't going to save it either.

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

7K sounds great if you own the game or if you're a seller If you're a buyer though I'd try to find one closer to $6K. They are out there if you're patient. Here's another one from a couple months back for $6400.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-stle-6400
Next to WOZ, STLE is the highest produced LE out there so there is no shortage of games. STLE has only been out about a year so many people are still in the honeymoon phase. As newer games are released that honeymoon and will end and prices will drop even further. I'd expect it to settle in around $6K when all is said in done. It's a solid game but without Lyman's involvement on code it's destined to be a middle of the pack Stern game. A final code update isn't going to save it either.

True but there are only buyers if there are sellers willing to sell thier game. Everyone keeps quoting a few sales that happened when Twd was being released and so the people out there that had to sell thier stle to buy Twd did so on the cheap because they were competing with others doing the same. Basically a small window of over supply. I don't think you will find a whole lot of stle games listed unless your close to that 7k figure. I do own one, no intention of selling as a disclaimer. Apparently everyone here believes people have a hidden agenda of price pumping. I'm just being honest as to what I see with the current market. If this was another title, I would be saying the same thing, it's too good of a game, too new, and too competitive with the current nib games to be devalued quite yet.

#33 9 years ago
Quoted from inhomearcades:

True but there are only buyers if there are sellers willing to sell thier game.

That's where patience comes into play. If someone wants to buy a STLE today, they may have to pay the $7K to get a deal done because you are only looking at a small window in which to buy and a limited number of sellers. However if they put that $6300 in their pocket and are willing to wait a month or two for a good deal I think they will most likely find it.

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from Nelly:

I am not familiar with "Aurich's" package. I will have to look into it

#35 9 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

That's where patience comes into play. If someone wants to buy a STLE today, they may have to pay the $7K to get a deal done because you are only looking at a small window in which to buy and a limited number of sellers. However if they put that $6300 in their pocket and are willing to wait a month or two for a good deal I think they will most likely find it.

Agreed

#36 9 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Agreed, if you are patient usually you can find all sorts of deals, that is of course that someone else isn't looking for the same thing but that doesn't make it the standard or market price as soon as one sells for that amount... I believe the market price isn't going up for this title and really hasn't changed much since its release and for that matter it may never change, even with a perfect code update. The days of the ACDC LE's and Tron LE's might be gone now with Premium and VE version sales in Stern titles. Whenever I buy a NIB machine now I expect to lose anywhere up to $1000 on a title and if I break even then I am doing good.

#37 9 years ago

History shows that it will be EASY to find HUO STLE for 6k (or under) if you are willing to wait a few months for one local.

Number produced is just TOO many to hold up the secondary market value.

There are tons of examples of this.

6k is not a deal. 6k is merely normal people wait till one shows up local price.

#38 9 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

That's where patience comes into play. If someone wants to buy a STLE today, they may have to pay the $7K to get a deal done because you are only looking at a small window in which to buy and a limited number of sellers.

Correction... Looks like $6.5K (or less) will get a deal done today.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-st-le-142#post-2162961

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Correction... Looks like $6.5K (or less) will get a deal done today.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-st-le-142#post-2162961

Wait a few more days it will be down to 5K the price is dropping faster than the price of oil these days. lol...

#40 9 years ago

No the price is not going up any time soon. Just like my opinion maan..

#41 9 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Straight up trade that may be the way to go because the LE does have the extra lights (that don't do a whole lot) and the certificate and plaque. If a Premium is worth ~$6K how much would you add to "upgrade" to an LE?
Personally, I would be happy owning the version that looks the best and is also the rarest and save the $. If I was the OP I would consider contacting JediTurtle (Chris) and trying to work out a deal. Chris is a heck of a good guy and not too far away. -He may even give out some pointers on how to level a game properly as he is the "Best in the business" at that

Good question. Depending on mods on the LE. Intrinsically I feel LEs see worth about $500 more than premiums. Mods or NIB vs HUO have impact.

#42 9 years ago

There is no "set price" when selling used games. You have to take in many factors like location, shipped or picked up, seller motivation, buyer motivation...

I sold mine about a month ago for $6800. I didn't list it for sale. A couple people in L.A. were actually looking for them so I contacted them and said "Hey I'm not actively selling it - but if you want it, I'll take $6800 for it". Seemed like a fair number...both wanted it - one showed up with the cash. I probably could have gotten more, as there were 2 motivated buyers and I guess no one in L.A. had a STLE for sale. But, whatever...I was happy to sell it, buyer was happy to buy it.

All you can really say definitively is that STLE is in the $6-7k range.

#43 9 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Yes. I think this title has more price defenders than most. Probably because most owners already know it's not a "Keeper" and are waiting to see if there is some magical final update released that will keep this knife from falling any further.

This title has more 'price defenders' than most because too many people who don't own the game are telling people that do own the game what it is worth. It's true the game did not live up to initial expectations, but many people just don't realize there's actually quite a lot of variety in the game and MANY different scoring strategies - especially after the last update. Yes the game does need a code update, but referring to it as needing to be 'magical' is just being inane.

Rob

#44 9 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Yes the game does need a code update, but referring to it as needing to be 'magical' is just being inane.
Rob

It doesn't need to be magical,but the fact that we're still waiting for one is going to limit many prospective "hobby savvy" buyers.

#45 9 years ago

About to list mine for 6800 and I expect to sell it near that price. Just because one sold at a crazy price does not set the market. It's a fun shooting fast game that's a little due for new code, shots and sound are fantastic.

Best of luck on your wait but sometimes you just need to bite the bullet and pay the price to get in the game

#46 9 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Yes. I think this title has more price defenders than most. Probably because most owners already know it's not a "Keeper" and are waiting to see if there is some magical final update released that will keep this knife from falling any further. Yes, it's a better game then Xmen or Avengers but there are also a lot more of them out there and the Pro model offers 95% of the gameplay for thousands less.-A HUO Modded Pro just sold for $3750 locally. I was tempted but then remembered that there are 4 Star Trek's on location near me (Including an LE) that I can play whenever I want.

Its a keeper for most. I got a refund on my spot for MMR to get mine and its not going anywhere. I've had MM before....and STLE is getting way more attention in my basement than MM did. I cannot imagine how good it will be with the upcoming code update.

#47 9 years ago

I am an owner of a STLE....I have 7100 into the machine and put a value of 6500-6700 on it....

#48 9 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

I am an owner of a STLE....I have 7100 into the machine and put a value of 6500-6700 on it....

I'm glad I waited and bought mine HUO. No more NIB for me.

#49 9 years ago

NIB is for people dedicated to keeping the machine in their collection or people who play fanatically and get their money through 2000+ plays in the first few months... Compared to TWD (brown powder coat and ???) and AC/DC (who knows what the benefit of a premium//LE edition is, artwork?) it's really one of the few Sterns that can be considered an LE... Xmen, Avengers, or Avatar come on... ST LE is sexy by all standards... Now someone sell me a HUO for $5500!

#50 9 years ago

I noticed that the WWE game has the angled DMD like STLE. It really helps to minimize reflection on the glass. Good move by Stern.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 24.95
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

13,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 89 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stle-are-prices-going-up-or-are-sellers-just-dreaming and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.